PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 15 12 19)

Jonnyboy
15-12-2019, 08:09 PM
After the joy of last week’s 3-0 thumping of Aberdeen, I actually travelled to Parkhead with a smidgeon of hope that we might take something from the game. After all, Celtic looked miles off it despite beating the Rangers in the League Cup final and they’d gone down 2-0 in Romania against Cluj so there was hope that their poor form might continue. Sadly, it was not to be as Celtic comfortably won the game 2-0 and should really have scored more.

Prior to kick off I had the pleasure of meeting Hibs.net poster HH81 as I had a spare ticket and he’d got in touch to secure it. Was good to meet you, Tommy and I wish the outcome of the game had been more agreeable!

Jack Ross went with the same eleven that had started against Aberdeen whilst there was one change on the bench as Tom James dropped out in favour of Darren McGregor. We lined up in a 4-4-2 formation but it soon became obvious that Celtic had gone 3-5-2 which left us light in midfield and exposed our full backs down the flanks. After Stevenson had been roasted a couple of times by the very impressive Frimpong, Jack Ross redeployed Boyle to help Lewis out. It worked after a fashion but left Naismith exposed on the right of the Hibs defence. Thankfully, Bolingoli was not that much of a threat and the Hibs man coped well enough.

Hibs started brightly enough, trying to get the ball forward quickly and there was none of the interminable sideways passing across the back four that we’d suffered under Heckingbottom. It soon became obvious however that Hibs were content to let Celtic have the ball, putting up a solid defensive wall when out of possession. There is, of course, a danger in employing that tactic and at times it was like Celtic players were lining up across our 18 yard line probing for an opening. The opening might have arrived quite early but Rocky pulled off a wonderful save to stop Ntcham from scoring from quite close range.

At the other end, Stevie Mallan pinged a quite incredible ball out to Naismith who took the ball down with his first touch, Bolingoli the wrong side of him, but as the Hibs man drove into the box, Ajer was there to clear the danger. Minutes later, Boyle cut in from the left but his curling low effort passed just the wrong side of the post.

There had been a few niggly fouls and I lost count of the number of times John Beaton failed to penalise anyone in a Celtic shirt. It was pretty much all Celtic though and they came close a few times but either missed the target or watched on as Rocky pulled off a few saves. The big goalie was in good form but on a couple of occasions his clearance from feet was poor.

The half hour mark came and went and I began to think that if we were level at half time it had been a job well done but around five minutes from the break, Porteous got the ball stuck between his feet on the 18 yard line and that allowed McGregor to feed Frimpong who slotted home from about ten yards. It was disappointing from Porteous but really unlucky too and you had to wonder why Boyle had not tracked the run of the young Celtic player.

Celtic almost doubled their lead before the break but McGregor’s curling effort passed the wrong side of the post with Rocky beaten. At half time, Rocky limped off and his injury was such that he had to be replaced in the second half by Maxwell.

The one way traffic continued and both McGregor and Edouard should have done better before Hibs suddenly started to get a foothold in the game. They enjoyed good possession for about a twenty minute period and the home fans were getting restless as their favourites failed to win the ball back. A chance arose for Naismith who played a one two with Kamberi but his left foot shot from the edge of the box lacked power. Then, Kamberi broke free down the left, cut inside and sent an effort high and wide with Boyle unmarked and waiting for the pass that surely would have resulted in an equaliser.

Twenty minutes into the second half the hosts doubled their lead. A poor ball out from the back by Scott Allan was pounced upon by Ntcham who fed Forrest and as the Hibs defence hesitated in closing him down the Celtic player found Edouard who flicked the ball into the net from close range. Celtic were rampant now and only a brilliant last minute block by Porteous stopped Forrest from making it three, before Frimpong wasted a good chance with a poor cross into the area.

To Hibs’ credit they kept going and a strike by Kamberi flashed wide having taken a deflection on the way. Next, Horgan who had replaced Doidge sent in a teasing cross which Celtic defender Julien headed towards his own goal and only a fine instinctive save by Forster stopped the ball going in.

The game was drawing to a close and substitute Leigh Griffiths almost scored a third when his fine turn and shot drifted wide of the mark.

A defeat is always hard to take and although we were dominated for the most part I was heartened by the fact that the heads never went down and that we kept seeking out a goal until the final whistle. Celtic were good and Frimpong was outstanding whilst Scott Brown strolled about in midfield without breaking sweat. Perhaps it was a tad naïve to go 4-4-2 but at least you can surmise that we went with a team that could score goals – they didn’t of course but they had their chances.

The players

Marciano – Only played the first 45 minutes but during that time he made a few good saves and was quick off his line when he needed to be. Kicking still worries me though!

Naismith – At times he had both Bolingoli and Forrest down that side but coped well enough, getting help when needed from both Allan and Hallberg.

Porteous – If I was being uncharitable I’d say he cost us the first goal but that happened due to McGregor giving him no time to clear his lines. Other than that I thought he was very good and he wins my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Paul was fine today with a fair few interceptions, key tackles and accurate passes.

Stevenson – The first ten minutes were horrid for him, given the pace and trickery of Frimpong but after Boyle was shifted into that area I thought Lewis did well enough.

Boyle – Was moved around a couple of times and so didn’t settle into his usual level of play. His pace will punish any defence but only if you give him the ball to run at them with and he got very few of those today.

Allan – Once again I was left disappointed by Scott’s play and his pass out of defence at the second goal was poor. He did shine in helping to protect Naismith but that’s not the area of the park from which he can do damage.

Hallberg – Melker was on a hiding to nothing today as he was often left facing two and sometimes three opponents. Brown got the ball, Hallberg approached and Brown stroked it to a free teammate with the other Hibs midfielders posted missing.

Mallan – One particular pass, to Naismith wide on the right, was of outstanding quality and his general play was good enough.

Doidge – Struggled today as every time Marciano/Maxwell aimed a goal kick in his direction, Scott Brown gave him a little nudge as he jumped and so he won very few headers. I felt he held the ball up well on occasion but was left with no-one to pass too because Hibs were sitting so deep.

Kamberi – You know how good he was against Aberdeen? There was not a hint of that today in what I’d call a pretty pathetic performance. I’d have hooked him rather than Doidge when the change was made.

Maxwell – A second half substitute he had surprisingly little to do but that was more a reflection on Celtic’s wayward finishing than anything else. I’d like to see it again but I’m not entirely sure he is blameless at the second goal.

Horgan – Was deployed wide left with Boyle moving over and I’m not sure if Frimpong was tiring or not but Daryl did a better job on him than Boyle had managed.

Murray – I was delighted to see Fraser come off the bench and I thought he was impressive in his short time on the pitch.

Jack Ross – I’m glad his mindset was to attack and I’m glad he quickly spotted the need to move Boyle. I’m not sure his predecessor would have done either.

The fans – Totally outnumbered obviously but we got behind the team throughout the ninety minutes.

John Beaton – Very lenient towards Celtic and a shocking decision not to award a foul when Kamberi was hacked down earned Mallan a booking for complaining.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Jack Ross – I’m glad his mindset was to attack and I’m glad he quickly spotted the need to move Boyle. I’m not sure his predecessor would have done either.

I thought the change he made worked against us and nullified one of our main attacking threats but didn’t really succeed in nullifying Frimpong.

Sometimes, there isn’t much you can do, he is just a very, very good player. I thought the change meant we weren’t able to test them going the other way though. That said, we did get in to good positions but our use of the ball was really poor at times, particularly from Kamberi. Even the one from Naismith early on when Mallan hit that diagonal was a poor touch, he should have been in there.

CMurdoch
15-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Thanks Jonny, I wasn't at the game today and had to content myself with fighting the lergy whilst listening to a radio commentary. No the best. Good to get your perspective.

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

It is greatly appreciated

JXM73
15-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Was Eduard that robbed porteous, atmosphere in the ground was pretty dire at times. Celtic cruised to their 8th straight win

AZhibee
15-12-2019, 11:52 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy

kaimendhibs
16-12-2019, 03:48 AM
Agree with your summary. Kamberi was shocking

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PeeJay
16-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Thanks for another good interesting report - only saw the highlights - our defence (from what I saw) is still making basic schoolboy errors, such as ball watching with everyone running to the man with the ball and consequently being pulled out of shape leaving us exposed where it matters - why is that still not being addressed I wonder???

Stuart93
16-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Thanks for another good interesting report - only saw the highlights - our defence (from what I saw) is still making basic schoolboy errors, such as ball watching with everyone running to the man with the ball and consequently being pulled out of shape leaving us exposed where it matters - why is that still not being addressed I wonder???

Probably because we need new players in the door to address it.

Think JR knows this too

H18 SFR
16-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Wonderful to meet you and your brother before the game as well, thanks again for the ticket.

Like we said at HT, that was quite a tricky game to evaluate, it just didn't work out for us in a couple of areas of the park.

Bring on Friday.

PeeJay
16-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Probably because we need new players in the door to address it.

Think JR knows this too

I am not sure we just need "new players" to fix what are schoolboy errors - I think the players we have just have to work a great deal harder at the training ground and then during a game ... Do the players really not notice these simple mistakes when they watch the game highlights?

jacomo
16-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Disappointing result of course but it sounds as if the attitude was right and we kept fighting until the final whistle.

We just need to keep improving.

Baldy Foghorn
16-12-2019, 08:04 AM
I thought we were miles off the pace again, barring a couple of half chances, gave them far too much time on the ball

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 08:19 AM
I thought we were miles off the pace again, barring a couple of half chances, gave them far too much time on the ball

Thought we worked the ball in to good areas and just didn’t make the most of it. Didn’t get enough bodies in to the box and moving Boyle to left wing back removed any threat we had on the break.

Stuart93
16-12-2019, 08:25 AM
I am not sure we just need "new players" to fix what are schoolboy errors - I think the players we have just have to work a great deal harder at the training ground and then during a game ... Do the players really not notice these simple mistakes when they watch the game highlights?

If these same mistakes keep happening and the players aren’t correcting it then surely the blame lies at the feet of the players? And if they aren’t correcting it then they need replaced.

Peevemor
16-12-2019, 08:35 AM
If these same mistakes keep happening and the players aren’t correcting it then surely the blame lies at the feet of the players? And if they aren’t correcting it then they need replaced.

Do we replace Porteous then or do we continue to work with him to improve him as a player?

Do we replace Scott Allan who gave the ball away cheaply for their 2nd goal or do we work in training to avoid making similar errors in future?

PeeJay
16-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Fair point, sort of ... unless the manager and coaching team are unable to actually coach them properly? I am not sure where the problem really lies ...

Brightside
16-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Do we replace Porteous then or do we continue to work with him to improve him as a player?

Do we replace Scott Allan who gave the ball away cheaply for their 2nd goal or do we work in training to avoid making similar errors in future?

Exactly. Players make mistakes all the time in every team. Yesterday it was 2 players that are held up as 2 of our best? Are we replacing them now? Maybe a thread to say they aren’t good enough? In reality there is very little wrong with the squad. A little more steel in midfield and prob one more attacking option to replace shaw and we are good to go.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Exactly. Players make mistakes all the time in every team. Yesterday it was 2 players that are held up as 2 of our best? Are we replacing them now? Maybe a thread to say they aren’t good enough? In reality there is very little wrong with the squad. A little more steel in midfield and prob one more attacking option to replace shaw and we are good to go.

It’s a group of players that have only won 5 out of 18 league games so I think it is pushing it to suggest there is ‘very little’ wrong with the squad. Defence and midfield (defensively) need improved and we are still short of options up front with Kamberi going from one extreme to the other on a game to game basis almost.

The Harp Awakes
16-12-2019, 09:24 AM
A very good summery JB and wouldn't disagree with any of that.

What annoyed me about Hibs performance yesterday was the way we sat off Celtic. Julian ran with the ball from his penalty box into the Hibs half unopposed on many occasions. Really not good enough from our front 2 who I don't think worked hard enough.

Also, there seems to be a real pattern emerging now in that our 2 most gifted players, Kamberi and Allan, seem to be outstanding at home and hopeless away from home.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 09:31 AM

What annoyed me about Hibs performance yesterday was the way we sat off Celtic. Julian ran with the ball from his penalty box into the Hibs half unopposed on many occasions. Really not good enough from our front 2 who I don't think worked hard enough.

Also, there seems to be a real pattern emerging now in that our 2 most gifted players, Kamberi and Allan, seem to be outstanding at home and hopeless away from home.

I thought Kamberi worked hard enough yesterday but was just utterly dreadful. Last point is an interesting one though...

Hibeewilly
16-12-2019, 09:32 AM
I thought the change he made worked against us and nullified one of our main attacking threats but didn’t really succeed in nullifying Frimpong.

Sometimes, there isn’t much you can do, he is just a very, very good player. I thought the change meant we weren’t able to test them going the other way though. That said, we did get in to good positions but our use of the ball was really poor at times, particularly from Kamberi. Even the one from Naismith early on when Mallan hit that diagonal was a poor touch, he should have been in there.
I agree with you totally on that BHFC I said exactly that to my mate at the time. It also enabled Celtic to push that extra man forward which they didn't do until the change eas made. Somebody should have given Frimpong a dull one early on and taken one for the team. We've not got anybody like that in our team unfortunately

JimBHibees
16-12-2019, 09:39 AM

Both were outstanding in Perth were they not but agree both are inconsistent hopefully they are at it Friday and Boxing Day.

Anthony Soprano
16-12-2019, 09:55 AM
That young lad Celtic have at right back, Jeremie Frimpong, ripped us to shreds down the right hand side yesterday.
Was turning Stevenson inside out so we put Boyle at right wing-back to try and cope with the sheer pace of the lad and even he was struggling, first time I've seen anyone make Boyle look slow.

Never expected much from yesterday tbh but would of liked us to have had more of a go, there was a period of about 20 minutes when celtic were going for their 2nd where we had a few dangerous looking counter attacks but couldn't work the goalkeeper, the final pass eluding us.

sat back and showed them far too much respect for my liking, onto the huns on friday

number9dream
16-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Celtic are a very good side but did the boss really think lining Mallan and Stevenson up against Frimpong and Forrest was a good idea?
Okay, he changed it, but the Celtic approach was hardly a surprise.
It might have been better to sacrifice a striker for Horgan and have Slivka in for Mallan or Allan, but the chances are we'd have been overpowered anyway.
In game like these, we need 9 or 10 guys playing at their best or the opposition to have an off day.

On to Rangers now. Payback required after that Ibrox thrashing...

Stuart93
16-12-2019, 10:18 AM

It’s not just about players making the odd mistake though? The poster was asking why it’s the same players making the same schoolboy mistakes every game. It gets to a point where, if there are players who’re making the same mistakes every game and don’t seem to be improving surely you bring in a better player to rectify that? I wasn’t talking about any player in particular just in general.

To say there’s very little wrong with the squad is a bit of a leap as well. There’s areas that definitely need to be improved.

Peevemor
16-12-2019, 10:22 AM
It’s not just about players making the odd mistake though? The poster was asking why it’s the same players making the same schoolboy mistakes every game. It gets to a point where, if there are players who’re making the same mistakes every game and don’t seem to be improving surely you bring in a better player to rectify that? I wasn’t talking about any player in particular just in general.

To say there’s very little wrong with the squad is a bit of a leap as well. There’s areas that definitely need to be improved.

So we should replace Porteous & Allan then?

Hermit Crab
16-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Mallan should have been hooked and Slivka brought on. Mallan and Allan got owned by Brown. At least Slivka would have provided a bit of height and physicality in Midfield. Thats something we lacked yesterdays Celtic won every header and second ball..

brog
16-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Mallan should have been hooked and Slivka brought on. Mallan and Allan got owned by Brown. At least Slivka would have provided a bit of height and physicality in Midfield. Thats something we lacked yesterdays Celtic won every header and second ball..

I like Slivka but I really don't think physicality is one of his attributes.

Brightside
16-12-2019, 08:12 PM
I like Slivka but I really don't think physicality is one of his attributes.

Compared to Mallan he’s Rambo tbh.