PDA

View Full Version : Best of the Decade

Pretty Boy
15-12-2019, 07:32 PM
With the 2010s almost behind us I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with some of the things we have most enjoyed this decade. So what is your:

1. Hibs moment of the decade (not expecting much originality here)

2. Non Hibs football moment of the decade.

3. Hibs goal of the decade.

4. Low point of the decade

5. Hibs strip of the decade.

6. Non Hibs strip of the decade

7. Hibs player of the decade.

8. Scottish football player of the decade.

9. Hibs manager of the decade.

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade.

DTS
15-12-2019, 07:48 PM
1. Someday in May 2016 something happened.
2. Personally Liverpool winning the CL, but overall Leicester winning the prem.
3. David Gray 3-2
4. Relegation
5. 2015/16 Home
6. Inter away kit this year, Nigeria World Cup
7. John Mcginn
8. Scott Brown
9. Alan Stubbs
10. Andy Murray first Wimbledon win 2013 / Tiger woods 2019 masters win

Pretty Boy
15-12-2019, 07:52 PM
I would go with:

1. The final whistle on 21/5/16. An amazing release of emotion. What a weekend and for months I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. An honourable mention for pumping Rangers 4-0 and Hanlon equalising at Tynecastle.

2. Brazil 1 Germany 7. That was just incredible. I watched it in a bar in Turkey and the whole place was just stunned.

3. In terms of importance it has to be David Gray. In terms of quality Derek Riordan lob v Celtic in 2010 just sneaks in.

4. There has been a few but the last minute loss to Falkirk was a real kick in the bollox. At that time the thought of another year in the Championship was tough. We bounced back pretty well though.

5. The away top the 1st year we were in the Championship would have been my choice but the sponsor ruined it so it's the 2016 home top for me.

6. Germany Women 2019. A classic (https://culture.ftbl.com.au/article/germany-lead-the-way-with-2019-womens-world-cup-jersey-release-520315)

7. No shortage of contenders. Dylan McGeough is everything I love in a football player and Scott Allan is a joy to watch but it has to be John McGinn. A class act, a nice guy and treated us with the utmost respect.

8. Tough one. Andy Robertson stands out as a guy who is living the dream down south. However for a guy who has done it all in our league and has been consistently top class for his club it has to be Scott Brown for me.

9. Probably only 2 contenders. I'm going for Stubbs. Lennon was almost definitely the better manager but Stubbs played a part in something bigger. To pick us up after the Ross County loss and beat ICT then do it again after the Falkirk loss was a phenomenal feat in man management. For any faults he had he was and is a Hibs legend..

10. The sub 2 hour marathon was a real jaw dropping moment for me. Even with all the well reported factors it should still have been decades away. The Patriots comeback in the 2017 Superbowl was also something special. 'Super Saturday' at London 2012 was a great evening. However for me it has to be Andy Murray's 1st Wimbledon. It seemed like the whole of the country was watching and he proved a lot of people wrong.

HoboHarry
15-12-2019, 07:57 PM
I would go with:

1. The final whistle on 21/5/16. An amazing release of emotion. What a weekend and for months I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. An honourable mention for pumping Rangers 4-0 and Hanlon equalising at Tynecastle.

2. Brazil 1 Germany 7. That was just incredible. I watched it in a bar in Turkey and the whole place was just stunned.

3. In terms of importance it has to be David Gray. In terms of quality Derek Riordan lob v Celtic in 2010 just sneaks in.

4. There has been a few but the last minute loss to Falkirk was a real kick in the bollox. At that time the thought of another year in the Championship was tough. We bounced back pretty well though.

5. The away top the 1st year we were in the Championship would have been my choice but the sponsor ruined it so it's the 2016 home top for me.

6. Germany Women 2019. A classic (https://culture.ftbl.com.au/article/germany-lead-the-way-with-2019-womens-world-cup-jersey-release-520315)

7. No shortage of contenders. Dylan McGeough is everything I love in a football player and Scott Allan is a joy to watch but it has to be John McGinn. A class act, a nice guy and treated us with the utmost respect.

8. Tough one. Andy Robertson stands out as a guy who is living the dream down south. However for a guy who has done it all in our league and has been consistently top class for his club it has to be Scott Brown for me.

9. Probably only 2 contenders. I'm going for Stubbs. Lennon was almost definitely the better manager but Stubbs played a part in something bigger. To pick us up after the Ross County loss and beat ICT then do it again after the Falkirk loss was a phenomenal feat in man management. For any faults he had he was and is a Hibs legend..

10. The sub 2 hour marathon was a real jaw dropping moment for me. Even with all the well reported factors it should still have been decades away. The Patriots comeback in the 2017 Superbowl was also something special. 'Super Saturday' at London 2012 was a great evening. However for me it has to be Andy Murray's 1st Wimbledon. It seemed like the whole of the country was watching and he proved a lot of people wrong.

I was in Las Vegas on business with an American colleague and when the fourth goal went in we honestly were't sure if it was the fourth or a re-run of the third goal - we were drinking right enough :greengrin

erin go bragh
15-12-2019, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Pretty Boy;6017236]With the 2010s almost behind us I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with some of the things we have most enjoyed this decade. So what is your:

21/05/16
Man City’s Injury time league clincher
SDG
Relegation
2015/16 home
Nigeria
SJM
Andrew Robertson
Alan Stubbs
Andy Murray winning Wimbledon

Broken Gnome
15-12-2019, 08:23 PM
With the 2010s almost behind us I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with some of the things we have most enjoyed this decade. So what is your:

1. Cup final.
2. Leigh's second free kick against England.
3. That's a quality rather than importance category. Griffiths volley against Dundee United... is second, actually, with Griffiths at Tynie first.
4. Hamilton's equaliser.
5. 2012/13 Crabbies top.
6. No idea.
7. McGinn
8. Robertson
9. Stubbs
10. When Scotland went 38-31 up at Twickenham was the first choice, but that completely overlooked anything from Andy Murray. The 2012 US Open.

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 08:24 PM

1. Far and away the 21st May. A weekend that will never be topped.

2. Leigh Griffiths’ second free kick against England at Hampden. I’ll still never forgive Armstrong for that night.

3. David Gray’s for obvious reasons, but two other mentions. Paul Hanlon’s equaliser for pure joy and ecstasy, and Stokes’ first in the cup final as it meant I could properly celebrate a Hibs cup final goal and gave us a genuine chance and belief we could do it.

Outwith the cup run that year it would have to be Malonga’s vs Aberdeen.

4. The Celtic cup final. That was the year I genuinely didn’t think we would ever win it. I felt worse that day than I did the year before.

5. 2016 home top or this years purple top.

6. Current Nigeria top.

7. John McGinn - by a country mile. Epitomises what I want from our players, hunger, determination, willingness to learn and work, and an ambition to reach the very top.

8. John McGinn.

9. Alan Stubbs. The way he turned this club around is nothing short of special. I’m glad he’s never came back because I want his legacy to be prolonged not tarnished. I was up in Inverness that night after the league cup final and that night summed up our spell with him in charge, facing massive adversity after a huge setback and coming through it.

10. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon or the atmosphere in the o2 for Josh winning his world title 7 weeks ago.

thegaffer12
15-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Boyle's goal against Livingston in 2016 for Hibs goal of the decade? Haven't seen a strike nearly as good since then😍

https://youtu.be/uAY7IHbAK5o

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Boyle's goal against Livingston in 2016 for Hibs goal of the decade? Haven't seen a strike nearly as good since then😍

https://youtu.be/uAY7IHbAK5o

Had typed that out then changed it, best volley I’ve seen live.

we are hibs
15-12-2019, 09:00 PM
21/05/16*
2. Non Hibs football moment of the decade.*
Rangers dying.
In terms of quality Boyle v Livi in the championship.
Relegation
5. Hibs strip of the decade.*
2015/16 home*
Germany green away
7. Hibs player of the decade.*
McGinn
8. Scottish football player of the decade.*
Robertson
9. Hibs manager of the decade.*
Alan Stubbs*the only manager to win a major trophy for us.
Murray wimbledon.

Radium
15-12-2019, 09:12 PM
1. Having not been at Hampden, Paul Hanlon’s equaliser at Tynecastle.

2. Leicester City winning the EPL

3. In terms of a goal I saw live, Jamie MacLaren to make it 3-0 v TRFC. The feeling in the stadium was immense

4. Hamilton’s second at ER. Having almost held on, we didn’t defend a throw in and everything thereafter was utterly predictable.

5. SC strip, means a lot but really like the colour and the collar

6. This year’s Motherwell strip. Like the lack of a sponsors name

7. Paul Hanlon. (Sorry LS)

8. Inching to say McGinn but the achievements of Scott Brown across the decade eclipses everyone else

9. Stubbs, brought us back from nowhere

10. Andy Murray winning his first Wimbledon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
15-12-2019, 09:37 PM
1. Winning the Scottish Cup
2. Aguero late winner to win the Premier League
3. Griffiths free kick at Tynecastle
4. Hibs relegation
5. Hibs home kit 2015-16
6. Nigeria 2018 world cup kit
7. John McGinn
8. Scott Brown
9. Alan Stubbs
10. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon

Eyrie
15-12-2019, 09:42 PM
1 - 21 May 2016.
2 - Leicester winning the English title.
3 - Stokes equaliser in the final - at that point I believed we were going to win.
4 - Hamilton equalising in the play off was worse than the Craig Thomson final.
5 - 15/16 home kit will always be iconic.
6 - None.
7 - John McGinn.
8 - Andy Robertson.
9 - Alan Stubbs ahead of Neil Lennon.
10 - Eagles winning SuperBowl LII, with honorable mentions to Andy Murray for Wimbledon and Bradley Wiggins for the Tour de France.

The Spaceman
15-12-2019, 10:31 PM
1. Hibs moment of the decade (not expecting much originality here): 21st May 2016. An era-defining moment for our club after a truly bruising couple of seasons before that. We rose from the ashes at that point in the most jaw-dropping, heart-stopping, spine-tingling fashion imaginable.

2. Non Hibs football moment of the decade. Sergio Aguero's stoppage time winner Vs QPR to bring home the EPL and snatch it out of the clutches of Manchester United. A truly iconic moment.

3. Hibs goal of the decade. Taking the David Gray goal aside, for me in terms of wow factor, has to be Leigh Griffiths' free kick Vs Hearts at Tynecastle. An absolute beauty by our Hibs-daft marksman.

4. Low point of the decade. Relegation. Will openly admit it is the only time I have cried at one of our results. Was absolutely sickening and the manner of our collapse was just horrendous. It felt like we had a very, very long way back from that point. Little did we know the next 3-year rollercoaster was one of the best things to happen to us.

5. Hibs strip of the decade. The diamond patterned one from 2017/2018 or our Scottish Cup 2016 strip.

6. Non Hibs strip of the decade. Germany World Cup top 2018.

7. Hibs player of the decade. John Mcginn. Most important signing we have made in my life so far supporting Hibs. The man epitomised our rebirth and left us as a Scottish Cup Winning Legend. I was actually happy for him when he moved on - I want him to get to the very, very top of the game.

8. Scottish football player of the decade. Scott Brown. Ultimately he is a living legend at Scotland's biggest and most successful club. He has had a wonderful career at Celtic.

9. Hibs manager of the decade. Alan Stubbs.

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade. Would love to put Andy Murray's Wimbledon 1st Wimbledon title here, but think Usain Bolt earning his third 100m Olympic Gold medal in a row in Rio 2016 for me. He was running against a drug cheat and completely cemented his position as the world's greatest ever athlete.

Pagan Hibernia
15-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Surprised to see so many votes for the 15/16 Hibs home kit.

i know it will always be associated with what happened at hampden but for me a Hibs home kit should always have green socks. Anyhoo.

Steve20
16-12-2019, 08:08 AM
1. Hibs moment of the decade (not expecting much originality here) - 21st May 2016

2. Non Hibs football moment of the decade. - Leicester winning the EPL.

3. Hibs goal of the decade. - Sir David Gray on 21st May 2016

4. Low point of the decade - Relegation

5. Hibs strip of the decade - I know why the 2015/16 one gets it for a lot of people because of the Scottish Cup, but I always prefer the emerald green tops. Probably the 2017/18 one. Or this season's purple/green away is excellent.

6. Non Hibs strip of the decade - Not sure

7. Hibs player of the decade. - Super John McGinn

8. Scottish football player of the decade - Super John McGinn

9. Hibs manager of the decade - Alan Stubbs

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade - Most of Silviniaco Conti winners, as it won me a fair bit of money, especially the King George VI Chase in 2014.

Hibernian Verse
16-12-2019, 08:39 AM

1. Other than the obvious - and to try and give something different to the discussion! - Conrad Logan's heroics in the Semi-Final that ultimately gave us the opportunity.

2. Leicester winning the EPL or "AGUEROOOOOOOOO"

3. Horgan's 2nd away at Tynecastle because LIMBS (other than the obvious again)

4. Getting pumped 5-1

5. Last season's effort.

6. Nigeria jersey for the World Cup in 2018.

7. Lewis Stevenson

8. Scott Brown

9. Alan Stubbs

10. Andy Murray's first Wimbledon title having lost the year before.

See above

Just_Jimmy
16-12-2019, 08:49 AM

When the ball hit the net for 3-2. I knew we'd done even with time left. It was just perfect

Leicester city. Possibly SAF retiring after winning the league simply for his legacy.

SDG header simply for what it meant.

Relegation

Cup final home kit

I like man utds tartan kit the season they won the league with RVP. Nothing really comes to mind.

SJM

Andy Robertson has won a CL and made an EFL cup, UEFA and CL final. He won the European super cup and has a real chance at the league, world club championship and others this season.

Alan Stubbs

Sir Andrew Murray winning Wimbledon the first time.

Mention for the London Olympics.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mjhibby
16-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Only contender bar the obvious for no 3 is Leigh's winner v Falkirk at hampden. He'll never strike a ball sweeter and capped an incredible fightback.

Barman Stanton
16-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Has to be the Scottish Cup.

Griffiths 2nd v England

David Gray header. Goal of the Century really.

Relegation

Cup Final strip

Dunno.

John McGinn

John McGinn

Alan Stubbs

Josh Taylor becoming unified champ of the world in only his 16th pro fight.

Northernhibee
16-12-2019, 02:50 PM
1. Hibs moment of the decade - 21st May

2. Non Hibs football moment of the decade - Sevco being forced to start again in the third division

3. Hibs goal of the decade - Sparky's free kick at Tynecastle

4. Low point of the decade - Relegation

5. Hibs strip of the decade. - Got a lot of love for last season's home effort

6. Non Hibs strip of the decade - Clapton FC's anti-fascist away strip last season

7. Hibs player of the decade. - John McGinn and Lewis Stevenson tied.

8. Scottish football player of the decade. - Andrew Robertson

9. Hibs manager of the decade. - Alan Stubbs

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade. - Cricket world cup final going to a super over which itself was tied on runs.

JimBHibees
16-12-2019, 03:28 PM

1. Hibs moment of the decade (not expecting much originality here). The moment Sir David's header hit the net. Magical.

2. Non Hibs football moment of the decade. Barcelonas performance at Wembley in beating Man U in Champions league final was football perfection. The triumpharite of Messi Xavi and Iniesta were on a different level during that period.

3. Hibs goal of the decade. The obvious one

4. Low point of the decade. Relegation obviously but was probably in hindsight what was needed as the club was meandering out of control with little direction or leadership. Losing to Falkirk in play off was also a very sore one to take though the pain of that was soothed a week later and actually think that helped us physically in the final having that break.

5. Hibs strip of the decade. Really like the purple one we currently have.

6. Non Hibs strip of the decade Hearts Battenburg one :greengrin not really into strips too much. Probably one of the Brazilian national strips which are always pretty iconic.

7. Hibs player of the decade. Super John McGinn

8. Scottish football player of the decade. Andy Robertson to have gone from Queens Park and almost giving up the game to Champions league winner in such a short time is inspirational. As with John McGinn also seems a really decent person also.

9. Hibs manager of the decade. Stubbsy

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon proved to all his doubters how good he was especially a year after painfully losing to Federer and crying on Sue Barkers shoulder.

As above

hfc rd
16-12-2019, 04:25 PM
1. May 21st 2016 Scottish Cup final vs Rangers
2. Man Utd winning the league in SAF’s final season in charge
3. Sir David Gray’s winner in the 2016 Scottish Cup final vs Rangers
4. Relegation
5. 2015/16 home
6. Not sure
7. John McGinn
8. Andrew Robertson
9. Alan Stubbs
10. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon

heid the baw
16-12-2019, 05:49 PM
1. Hibs moment of the decade
2016 Cup win ending 114 year wait

Moura's hat trick v Ajax

Sparky's winner v Falkirk 4-3

That other cup final

Green wi white sleeves

Current Italy 3rd strip

Conrad Logan

Andy Robertson

Neil Lennon

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade
Chicago Cubs World Series. Oddly enough also 2016,ending 108 year wait

Greenbeard
17-12-2019, 09:36 AM
1. Hibs moment of the decade
SJM singing SOL May 2016

SJM goal of the season 19-20 for Villa

Either of SJM's two at Celtic park

Selling SJM

SJM heading for the showers after the Cup Final

Current Villa one

SJM

SJM

Stubbs for signing SJM

10. Non football sporting moment of the decade
SJM winning family charades Xmas 2000

Hibernia&Alba
17-12-2019, 02:00 PM
1, Hibs moment of the decade: SDG's header, 2016. Hibs moment of a lifetime!

2, Non Hibs football moment of the decade: I hate to say it as a United fan, but Aguero's 94th minute league clincher.

3, Hibs goal of the decade: Again SDG's napper

4, Low point of the decade - Relegation. Devastating day.

5, Hibs strip of the decade - Puma bottle green with Crabbie's sponsor

6, Non Hibs strip of the decade: Not sure

7, Hibs player of the decade: McGinn

8, Scottish player of the decade: Scott Brown

9, Hibs manager of the decade: Stubbs

10, Non football moment of the decade: Andy Murray's first Wimbledon

_hucks_
17-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Not a hard one, it's Davie Gray getting his napper on the corner to score the Scottish Cup winner.

My personal non Hibs moment of the decade came earlier this year. In March, not long after moving to London, I went to watch Dulwich Hamlet play Billericay. Dulwich were 2-0 down with 10 to play and came back to draw 2 each. I completely fell for Dulwich at that game and have found my footballing home in the English capital.

3. Hibs goal of the decade

For sheer quality of strike, it's Martin Boyle smashing one in against Livingston from about a million yards out. Incredible goal.

Not coming up with that playoff defeat at Falkirk. The relegation was horrible, but that late goal in the playoff was just so gutwrenching, it just pips it for me.

Our Purple number when we were in the championship. I love it.

Maybe not objectively the best, but Dulwich have a cracking Pink and Blue away kit this year. Can see it on the right here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECkoBZkX4AEJgnx?format=jpg&name=large

John McGinn, he's one of my favourites in all my time watching Hibs

Scott Brown has been at the peak of the division for the entire decade. Nobody else can match what he's done in the domestic league.

Stubbs. It's a 2 runner race with him and Lennon, but the Scottish Cup win puts him pretty clear in that one.

10. Non football sporting moment of the decadede.

Chris Froome attacking on the Col de Finestre at the 2018 Giro d'Italia. He was over 3 minutes down and in 4th place going into the penultimate mountain stage and had to do somethign extaordinary to win the race. Froome and Sky alike are oft criticized (and not without reason) for dull formulaic racing. This was the stage that allowed the great stage racer of our age to actually go and race, freed from the shackles of the power meter. It was an incredible days racing that I loved every single second of.

17-12-2019, 05:45 PM

1. Obviously 21.05.2016 that doesn't really need any explaining! But other than that Paul Hanlons last min equalizer at Tynecastle after being 2-0 down and it looking like 115 years was on the cards at the hands of that mob. Nobody expected that of us that day, we were witnessing a very new Hibernian! The scenes in the away end when it went in was indescribable!

2. As a Liverpool fan I'm going to say winning the Champions league last season! Especially after the cup final heartbreak of the year before. Or from a neutral point of view, Leicester winning the league - stuff of fairytales.

3. For importance and menaing obviously Sir Davids cup final winner but in terms of just sheer quality I'd have to go for Griffiths free kick at tynecastle when we beat them 2-1 in 2013. What an absolute BEAUTY!

4. Relegation without a doubt. The 5-1 cup final was a sore one but for me the relegation was worse. The whole club was down, it was a grim grim time. Years in the making that had led us to that point. That day vs Hamilton was a dark dark day in this clubs history and I pray we never see it repeated.

5. I loved the home and away ones 2015/16 season. Obviously made more special that that was out SC winning season but thought they genuinely were both really smart.

6. Unsure, can't think of any that immediately spring to mind.

7. Got to be Sir David Gray just for the sheer heroics on 21.05.2016, 1st captain in 114 years to lead us to SC glory. To not only captain the SC winning team but to score the winning goal on the day is the stuff of legends. The ecstasy his goal sent us into that day will never be experienced again and is something most other sets of supporters only dream about.

8. Got to Be Andy Robertson for me. What an unreal career he's had. From a young lad at Queens Park to winning the Champions League (and now currently on route to winning the PL) with Liverpool is just incredible.

9. Alan Stubbs without a doubt. Scottish Cup winning manager. Not even debatable IMO.

10. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon for the first time in 2013.