😉

Think it was aimed at Sir Rod

DarrenSQH
15-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Most in the away end joined in.

I'd you hat the tories clap your hands

Kojock
15-12-2019, 06:34 PM
What had the anti Tory banner to do with a football match between Celtic and Hibs. They obviously don’t like Rod Stewart either. They really are a sad shower.

Keith_M
15-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Think it was aimed at Sir Rod

He was the focus but it seemed a general anti-Tory sentiment.

Most of the away end joined in... very enthusiastically

😂

hibee-boys
15-12-2019, 06:43 PM
The self appointed 'best fans in the world' just highlighting how wonderfully inclusive they are.

CloudSquall
15-12-2019, 06:44 PM
When they have the likes of Jim Murphy and John Reid in amongst their faithful I think they can forget the holier than thou nonsense.

Centre Hawf
15-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Don't really see the issue to be honest.

Keith_M
15-12-2019, 06:50 PM

I wasn't offended

Hibs4185
15-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Is there any other fans in the world who are so self righteous?

It’s a game of football. Their stupidity knows no ends as well. Banners insulting the lazio fans, before having to travel to face them shortly after.

Bostonhibby
15-12-2019, 06:51 PM
It's just who they are currently morally offended by, don't worry about it there'll be someone or something else along in a minute and Rod'll be back on trend as soon as he's next seen running about in his lesser greens top

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Malthibby
15-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Scottish football fans in 'We don't like a party run by Eton & Oxbridge graduates' shock.
Can't imagine what's just happened to stir up a bit of anger towards the Tories.
Oh, wait; we just voted (again, as we do over & over again) against them & yet they are still
going to be in charge.
Still, they've won with a majority that they say means they have a democratic mandate to
leave the EU.
I'm sure therefore that they will respect the Scotland result (bigger percentage majority & vote) and
resultant democratic mandate to try & leave the UK.
And football does not operate in a moral or political vacuum, before I see another, 'Nowt to do
with football.' And anyways the OP started it.........
GG

Centre Hawf
15-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Scottish football fans in 'We don't like a party run by Eton & Oxbridge graduates' shock.
Can't imagine what's just happened to stir up a bit of anger towards the Tories.
Oh, wait; we just voted (again, as we do over & over again) against them & yet they are still
going to be in charge.
Still, they've won with a majority that they say means they have a democratic mandate to
leave the EU.
I'm sure therefore that they will respect the Scotland result (bigger percentage majority & vote) and
resultant democratic mandate to try & leave the UK.
And football does not operate in a moral or political vacuum, before I see another, 'Nowt to do
with football.' And anyways the OP started it.........
GG

Never understood this. Football has a place and platform to stand up against harmful politics imo.

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 07:00 PM

‘A club open to all’ 🤷🏽*♂️ No issue with having a problem with tories, but it has absolutely heehaw to do with football, and you can’t claim to be open to all and then tell tories/Protestants/israeli’s (delete as applicable) that they aren’t welcome.

The Modfather
15-12-2019, 07:04 PM

While I agree with the sentiment of the song, what’s it got to do with a Scottish football game? I’ll not lose any sleep over the chant but like most of what they sing, there’s a time and place for it and a Hibs v Celtic game isn’t it IMO.

marinello59
15-12-2019, 07:06 PM
‘A club open to all’ 🤷🏽*♂️ No issue with having a problem with tories, but it has absolutely heehaw to do with football, and you can’t claim to be open to all and then tell tories/Protestants/israeli’s (delete as applicable) that they aren’t welcome.

Exactly , hypocritical ****wits.

Dashing Bob S
15-12-2019, 07:09 PM
People will chant what they will chant at football. Nobody is forcing them to do it. Unless it's deeply offensive and likely to incite violence and hatred against a group of people, there's not a great deal that can, or should, be done against it.

We have a mass media constantly telling us that the Tories are the best thing since sliced bread and only have the interests of everyone at heart. Even the most deluded simpleton knows in their heart of hearts that this is arrant nonsense. So people at a grass roots level taking time to redress some of the balance is not an unhealthy thing in a democracy.

murray26
15-12-2019, 07:10 PM
The majority of football fans are working class and should in turn have a strong dislike of the Tory Party.. I would encourage it at all football matches no matter what teams are involved..#tory****

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 07:13 PM
People will chant what they will chant at football. Nobody is forcing them to do it. Unless it's deeply offensive and likely to incite violence and hatred against a group of people, there's not a great deal that can, or should, be done against it.

We have a mass media constantly telling us that the Tories are the best thing since sliced bread and only have the interests of everyone at heart. Even the most deluded simpleton knows in their heart of hearts that this is arrant nonsense. So people at a grass roots level taking time to redress some of the balance is not an unhealthy thing in a democracy.

Football is an escape from the ****show that is everyday life for most, and more importantly the absolute ****show that is British politics right now. It has absolutely no place in Scottish football stadia and sticking up for them only makes them feel justified in their chants. Like most of what they sing, it has absolutely no relevance to their football team.

cabbageandribs1875
15-12-2019, 07:13 PM

It’s a game of football. Their stupidity knows no ends as well. Banners insulting the lazio fans, before having to travel to face them shortly after.

i think it's fully justifiable to insult a shower of far right ****s tbf, lazio fans wouldn't have turned into decent human beings without the 'insulting' banner

Centre Hawf
15-12-2019, 07:14 PM
While I agree with the sentiment of the song, what’s it got to do with a Scottish football game? I’ll not lose any sleep over the chant but like most of what they sing, there’s a time and place for it and a Hibs v Celtic game isn’t it IMO.

We just happen to be the first game since Rod outed himself as a Tory.

A club open to all obviously refers to anyone of any religion, race, sexuality etc. I don't think political beliefs, especially ones that go against that motto, were included in it.

Celtic (as well as Hibs but that's a discussion for another day) have deep roots in helping out marginalised communities and the poorest in the community. As far as I recall the club has always been open to Protestants, and any condemnation of the Israeli governments actions over Palestine (again another discussion for another day) doesn't necessarily mean it's anti-Semetic or anti Israeli.

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 07:17 PM

A club open to all obviously refers to anyone of any religion, race, sexuality etc. I don't think political beliefs, especially ones that go against that motto, were included in it.

Celtic (as well as Hibs but that's a discussion for another day) have deep roots in helping out marginalised communities and the poorest in the community. As far as I recall the club has always been open to Protestants, and any condemnation of the Israeli governments actions over Palestine (again another discussion for another day) doesn't necessarily mean it's anti-Semetic or anti Israeli.

So not open to all then? Just open to whoever they want in? I’m fairly sure there is a number of different groups they don’t welcome, and their beliefs are just as warped as those of the blue side of Glasgow.

HFC93
15-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Will Celtic fans or our fans be disowning Murdo MacLeod because they disagree with his political views?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/scotland/8657486.stm

Centre Hawf
15-12-2019, 07:22 PM
So not open to all then? Just open to whoever they want in? I’m fairly sure there is a number of different groups they don’t welcome, and their beliefs are just as warped as those of the blue side of Glasgow.

I interpret being open to all is a promise not to discriminate people based on things outwith their control, such as the examples I listed. Not an obligation to welcome people who politically support those who discriminate others based on those factors.

As far as the last part of your post we will need to agree to disagree on that.

Joe6-2
15-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Will Celtic fans or our fans be disowning Murdo MacLeod because they disagree with his political views?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/scotland/8657486.stm

2010!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
15-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Political songs, slogans or banners should have absolutely no place inside a football stadium.

Anyone who wants to air their politics in public should keep it to the marches and rallies and I include any Hibs fans in that as well.

Football's supposed to unite people, keep politics out of it.

CockneyRebel
15-12-2019, 07:24 PM

If it isn't open to all then it should not declare that it is.

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 07:25 PM
I interpret being open to all is a promise not to discriminate people based on things outwith their control, such as the examples I listed. Not an obligation to welcome people who politically support those who discriminate others based on those factors.

You don’t believe there are many Celtic fans who are steeped in sectarianism like their blue cousins? You’re mental if that’s the case and it’s no wonder your sticking up for them here. Fair play.

Ps the last time I checked being Israeli isn’t a choice yet those are discriminated against at Darkheid.

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Political songs, slogans or banners should have absolutely no place inside a football stadium.

Anyone who wants to air their politics in public should keep it to the marches and rallies and I include any Hibs fans in that as well.

Football's supposed to unite people, keep politics out of it.

This, this and triple this. Everyone is entitled to believe in what they want to believe in, and support what they want to support. When it comes to football all other worries in life are left at the door for 2 hours.

CockneyRebel
15-12-2019, 07:26 PM

If it isn't open to all then it should not declare that it is - simples.

CockneyRebel
15-12-2019, 07:27 PM
This, this and triple this. Everyone is entitled to believe in what they want to believe in, and support what they want to support. When it comes to football all other worries in life are left at the door for 2 hours.

Well said.

makaveli1875
15-12-2019, 07:28 PM
The green brigade make these stupid banners every week , im sure all will be forgotten next time Rod shows up to a game and theyre all kissing his erse . They will have a new silly banner and Tory Rod will be the #1 sellick fan again

CockneyRebel
15-12-2019, 07:31 PM
This, this and triple this. Everyone is entitled to believe in what they want to believe in, and support what they want to support. When it comes to football all other worries in life should be left at the door for 2 hours.

Fixed that for you. :aok:

The Modfather
15-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Nonsense, people’s political beliefs (same with religion, sexual orientation etc etc) are no ones business and of no relevance to sitting in a stadium for 90 minutes watching a game of football. Everyone’s money counts the same when buying tickets and season tickets regardless of their political persuasion.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2019, 07:33 PM
I hate Torys too

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Chuck Rhoades
15-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Hibs fans that joined in? Away and have a word. Embarrassingly first they’d been heard the whole match.

Centre Hawf
15-12-2019, 07:35 PM
You don’t believe there are many Celtic fans who are steeped in sectarianism like their blue cousins? You’re mental if that’s the case and it’s no wonder your sticking up for them here. Fair play.

Ps the last time I checked being Israeli isn’t a choice yet those are discriminated against at Darkheid.

I think there most definitely are Celtic fans steeped in sectarianism. But I personally don't find them to be anywhere as common as the blue half of the divide. Personal opinion on that and we can disagree as that's just coming from personal experience and yours may be different.

I'm not Israeli so don't want to play down any potential discrimination as I'd obviously not experience it myself, but I've only ever seen support for Palestine and the condemnation of the Israeli governments actions. The most I've seen is people criticise those who support what the government are doing, something I don't believe should be necessarily frowned upon.

Centre Hawf
15-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Nonsense, people’s political beliefs (same with religion, sexual orientation etc etc) are no ones business and of no relevance to sitting in a stadium for 90 minutes watching a game of football. Everyone’s money counts the same when buying tickets and season tickets regardless of their political persuasion.

I can see we disagree and that's fine.

Keith_M
15-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Hibs fans that joined in? Away and have a word. Embarrassingly first they’d been heard the whole match.

Ah thought it was funny

😌

15-12-2019, 07:54 PM

Open to all will include hypocrites too.

jacomo
15-12-2019, 08:11 PM

I think you’re allowed to make divisive people unwelcome.

I hope that Hibs is open to all but if Tommy Robinson turned up I would certainly make him feel unwelcome.

The world is being run by ****s. Resist them however you can.

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 08:28 PM
I think you’re allowed to make divisive people unwelcome.

I hope that Hibs is open to all but if Tommy Robinson turned up I would certainly make him feel unwelcome.

The world is being run by ****s. Resist them however you can.

I know a number of folk who voted Tory for a number of different reasons. I couldn’t disagree with their political views anymore but I would never say they weren’t welcome in my house, in my local, at Easter road, or anywhere else for that matter.

‘Open to all’ means everybody, no ifs, no buts, every single person can come. I don’t agree with racists or anyone else with extremist views regardless of what they are, but then I wouldn’t say ‘all’ was welcome in my house.

Sir David Gray
15-12-2019, 08:32 PM
I know a number of folk who voted Tory for a number of different reasons. I couldn’t disagree with their political views anymore but I would never say they weren’t welcome in my house, in my local, at Easter road, or anywhere else for that matter.

‘Open to all’ means everybody, no ifs, no buts, every single person can come. I don’t agree with racists or anyone else with extremist views regardless of what they are, but then I wouldn’t say ‘all’ was welcome in my house.

100%.

Steve20
15-12-2019, 08:41 PM
I’d never vote Tory but its absolutely pathetic to say people who did wouldn’t be welcome at a football match.

And Hibs fans joining in with that lot in anything is even more pathetic.

snedzuk
15-12-2019, 08:46 PM
So - if they're anti Tory can we assume pro labour. And if we can assume that can we assume Anti Semitic. Did they have the Palestine flags out. Who's our goalkeeper.

Bostonhibby
15-12-2019, 08:56 PM

‘Open to all’ means everybody, no ifs, no buts, every single person can come. I don’t agree with racists or anyone else with extremist views regardless of what they are, but then I wouldn’t say ‘all’ was welcome in my house.I know a couple of Hibbies who are Tories and I know two celtc fans who definitely are, ones an ex Tory councillor.

Their political views make no difference to me when talking football or anything other than politics but I've no time for the celtc types choice of football team[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
15-12-2019, 08:59 PM
I suppose that means a lot of Rangers fans are not welcome either then.

Smartie
15-12-2019, 09:07 PM
I’d be amazed if less than 95% of players are Tories these days, keep those astronomical wage bills down.

They live in a different stratosphere to us now, there’s only one party for the super rich.

A few of the boys in the green and white hoops on the pitch today will have found that banner interesting.

The 90+2
15-12-2019, 09:10 PM

Kayal and Biton excepted?

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2019, 09:17 PM

And Abd Elhamed Hatem :greengrin

hibbysam
15-12-2019, 09:29 PM

Bitton took dogs abuse online from a fair few of them last year. But yes, like I said, they’re very selective in who is and isn’t welcome, they’ll happily hate against everything Israeli until one of them score and they’ll celebrate that fact.

givescotlandfreedom
15-12-2019, 09:46 PM
So - if they're anti Tory can we assume pro labour. And if we can assume that can we assume Anti Semitic. Did they have the Palestine flags out. Who's our goalkeeper.

That's quite a reach!
They had an Israeli player in their squad too.

TimeForHeroes16
15-12-2019, 11:08 PM
Kick racism out is a massive campaign in football all we done was try kick the racist Tory **** out.

The 90+2
15-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Bitton took dogs abuse online from a fair few of them last year. But yes, like I said, they’re very selective in who is and isn’t welcome, they’ll happily hate against everything Israeli until one of them score and they’ll celebrate that fact.

Very true. Biggest bunch of hypocrites in world football are Celtic.

.Sean.
16-12-2019, 07:12 AM
The Green Brigade are the biggest bunch of weirdos in football, a shower of self-righteous and hypocritical bawbags.

BILLYHIBS
16-12-2019, 07:17 AM
The Green Brigade are the biggest bunch of weirdos in football, a shower of self-righteous and hypocritical bawbags.
This!

marinello59
16-12-2019, 07:22 AM

Yeap.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2019, 07:33 AM
From a quick glance online it seems a fair few Celtic fans aren't happy with the banner either. 'The Green Brigade don't speak for all of us' seems to be a recurring comment.

For me I don't particularly care for either Rod Stewart or the Tories (to put it mildly) but I don't think that's something I have to proclaim in a football stadium.

As said above the Green Brigade seem like a shower of absolute weirdos who are a law unto themselves. They seem to have little regard for the feelings of the wider Celtic support nor the impact their behaviour has on the club in terms of fines and sanctions.

Monts
16-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Statistically speaking, over a quarter of the voters in the stadium voted Tory.

Monts
16-12-2019, 07:40 AM

No

FilipinoHibs
16-12-2019, 07:42 AM

Being anti Israel which is a racist illegal state which has ethnically cleansed the Arab people is not anti- semitic. It is anti-Zionist. The slurs against Corbyn tried to confuse the two. I am a serphadic Jew (Arab Jew). I am anti Zionist but not against Jews. Zionism is a racist colonialism ideology. But you don't have to be anti Israelis. Many of whom are Christians, Arabs or Jews who do not support Zionism.

marinello59
16-12-2019, 07:43 AM

Yeap.

PeeJay
16-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Being anti Israel which is a racist illegal state which has ethnically cleansed the Arab people is not anti- semitic. It is anti-Zionist. The slurs against Corbyn tried to confuse the two. I am a serphadic Jew (Arab Jew). I am anti Zionist but not against Jews. Zionism is a racist colonialism ideology. But you don't have to be anti Israelis. Many of whom are Christians, Arabs or Jews who do not support Zionism.

Shouldn't that be sephardic Jew? :confused:

FilipinoHibs
16-12-2019, 08:19 AM
Shouldn't that be sephardic Jew? :confused:

Yes the spell checker on my wee phone can't cope. Toda Bro.

basehibby
16-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Almost spluttered my coffee out there as some of the posters on this thread are running the lesser Greens very hard in the sanctimonious stakes. A rare moment of unity emerges in Scottish Football as fans from different clubs unite to tell the Tories to GTF - an expression of the Scottish zeitgheist in what has been a week mired in politics. Yet this is seen as an opportunity by some to express faux outrage?!?

Also - I do hope the poor wee Lazio lambs were not upset that their fascist salutes and traditions were not fully appreciated :rolleyes:

Carheenlea
16-12-2019, 08:55 AM
The mutual anti Tory singing was more a brief bit of pantomime rather than spat out with venom and hands across the segregation barrier.
Given the general election was still fresh in the mind, had it been sung in any football ground in Scotland, then you would most likely have seen home and away fans joining in. (With the exception of Ibrox and Tynecastle of course)

The Modfather
16-12-2019, 08:57 AM
Almost spluttered my coffee out there as some of the posters on this thread are running the lesser Greens very hard in the sanctimonious stakes. A rare moment of unity emerges in Scottish Football as fans from different clubs unite to tell the Tories to GTF - an expression of the Scottish zeitgheist in what has been a week mired in politics. Yet this is seen as an opportunity by some to express faux outrage?!?

Also - I do hope the poor wee Lazio lambs were not upset that their fascist salutes and traditions were not fully appreciated :rolleyes:

Are the Hibs and Celtic fans who voted Tory not welcome at Easter Road and Parkhead? There’s a reason Hibs.net has a football forum and a separate political forum IMO

The Harp Awakes
16-12-2019, 09:00 AM

I was in hospitality yesterday not far from the Green Brigade sections. Quite wierd the way they set themselves up. There were 2 guys with megaphones standing on the perimeter fence facing the fans for the entire game. They were constantly barking instructions to the singers, at times slagging them off for not being loud enough.

Have to say when the anti tory songs were getting belted out there were loads in the hospitality sections clapping along.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Spot on, some utter drivel being spouted in this thread.

basehibby
16-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Are the Hibs and Celtic fans who voted Tory not welcome at Easter Road and Parkhead? There’s a reason Hibs.net has a football forum and a separate political forum IMO

If I'm not mistaken, the song sung - "If you hate the ****ing Tories clap your hands" in no way debars Tory voters from entering the stadium while leaving them in no doubt whatsoever as to what the majority of their compatriots think of their politics.

Next thing you'll be telling Hibees not to sing "stand up if you hate JamTarts" in case it hurts their feelings.

basehibby
16-12-2019, 09:12 AM

Oh FFS - a Daily Mail reader! So can we assume total fud?!?

16-12-2019, 09:20 AM
Were the people bleating about this upset about the “refugees welcome” banners at Easter Road (and other grounds)?

What about the constant food banks at football grounds?!

Football is political when it suits folks personal opinions it seems.

The Modfather
16-12-2019, 09:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the song sung - "If you hate the ****ing Tories clap your hands" in no way debars Tory voters from entering the stadium while leaving them in no doubt whatsoever as to what the majority of their compatriots think of their politics.

Next thing you'll be telling Hibees not to sing "stand up if you hate JamTarts" in case it hurts their feelings.

I still don’t see how a game of football is the relevant place to do that. I’ll not lose any sleep over the chant but don’t think anything politics related belongs at a game of football.

norhfc
16-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Saw a brilliant documentary on Rod at the weekend, I can see hes not everyones cup of tea but I like him. Pretty sure many of us would have done what Rods done given his wealth. Travel around watching your favourite teams, football pitch in your garden and famous ex players turning up. Not to mention the model girlfriends and big house in LA.

A group of people peacefully protesting is fine by me and something Im sure Rod wont get upset about.

CockneyRebel
16-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Didn't know the Jam Tarts were a political party.

Northernhibee
16-12-2019, 09:40 AM
I don't like it. I'm anti-Tory, anti Brexit but last Thursday showed that calling anyone and anything to the right of you "racist", "Tory" or "stupid" only entrenches them in their position.

Are the Tories racist and stupid? Yes. Is everyone who voted for them racist and stupid? No. Asking to choose a prime minister of Johnson or Corbyn was like being asked if you wanted a smack in the mouth or a kick in the shin. We won't win them round with more hatred, we'll win them round with knowledge, compassion and rebuilding bridges that have been burnt.

I don't like this sort of thing, TBH I think it does more damage than good.

FilipinoHibs
16-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Saw a brilliant documentary on Rod at the weekend, I can see hes not everyones cup of tea but I like him. Pretty sure many of us would have done what Rods done given his wealth. Travel around watching your favourite teams, football pitch in your garden and famous ex players turning up. Not to mention the model girlfriends and big house in LA.

A group of people peacefully protesting is fine by me and something Im sure Rod wont get upset about.

But most of us would not have turned against our own class. Think Irvine Welsh.

FilipinoHibs
16-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Didn't know the Jam Tarts were a political party.

No I always thought they were a sub-species of the human race that some how survived by using other peoples money and resources.

norhfc
16-12-2019, 10:12 AM
But most of us would not have turned against our own class. Think Irvine Welsh.

Fair point

Keith_M
16-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Yep, but nowhere near as despicable as the Tory Party, which the chant was actually about.

Let's face it, the Green Brigade got a riddy because a famous Celtc Fan outed himself as a Tory, hence the Banner.

I'd imagine, though, that most people chanting about their hatred for the Tories were giving their views on Bojo and friends, NOT people that just happen to vote Tory.

SunnyLeither
16-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Had a word, quite happy I joined in 👍

Embarrassing for who?

chrisski33
16-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Can't believe Celtic fans are shocked a very rich man supports the Tories! Have they even asked if their chairman is?

SunnyLeither
16-12-2019, 10:48 AM
I’d never vote Tory but its absolutely pathetic to say people who did wouldn’t be welcome at a football match.

And Hibs fans joining in with that lot in anything is even more pathetic.

Calling your own fans pathetic? Oh the irony 🤔🤔

hibbysam
16-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Were the people bleating about this upset about the “refugees welcome” banners at Easter Road (and other grounds)?

What about the constant food banks at football grounds?!

Football is political when it suits folks personal opinions it seems.

Wasn’t aware of any food banks happening when sitting watching a game of football. There’s a reason they are held before games, outside, as when you are inside you are there to support hibs.

The chant isn’t even the issue here, although I’ve no reason to sing it when supporting hibs, or any other political declaration for that matter.

The point of this thread is about a banner telling Rod Stewart to ‘**** off’ based on his political beliefs, therefore showing that everyone is not actually welcome at parkhead like they’d make you believe.

Aim Here
16-12-2019, 12:27 PM
The point of this thread is about a banner telling Rod Stewart to ‘**** off’ based on his political beliefs, therefore showing that everyone is not actually welcome at parkhead like they’d make you believe.

There's two different groups of people lumped under the term 'they' there.

You must surely be aware that the Green Brigade and Celtic FC's management are not the same people. There's been extensive and well-publicized history of public disagreements between them over one thing or another. Neither the Green Brigade's banners nor Celtic's advertising hoardings have any obligation to agree with each other, and there's no hypocrisy or conflict of interest for one group to welcome Tories while another tells them to get tae ****.

Robinho08
16-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Any anti Tory sentiment is welcome, meanwhile their neighbours across the city can't separate football from politics and vote Tory blindly.

Amazinsauzee
16-12-2019, 12:36 PM

I’d happily join in again for any team that wishes to start the chant

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Fair point

It's not a fair point at all.

How has Rod turned his back on 'his class'??

This whole working class thing is so out of date. There's people from all walks of life vote for the Conservatives, the last election kinda shows that pretty clearly.

Cameron1875
16-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Very silly of Rod to tweet what he did considering he profits personally and financially from his Celtic loving, Grace singing persona.

There was always going to be a reaction to that considering how sensitive Celtic fans are about everything.

However sometimes people are p****d off about what is happening in politics and marches, petitions etc isn't doing the trick. A few thousand letting their feelings known at football is no problem to me even if I was a Tory.

norhfc
16-12-2019, 01:38 PM
If you watched the documentary on him you would have known he played very much on his working class background.

If you make that a selling point then maybe he,ll alienate some of his fans by announcing who he voted for.

Robinho08
16-12-2019, 01:56 PM

Absolute nonsense and why would Palestine flags make you anti semitic?

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Any anti Tory sentiment is welcome, meanwhile their neighbours across the city can't separate football from politics and vote Tory blindly.

Glasgow is 100% SNP now, the Conservatives came nowhere close.

What makes you think Rangers fans blindly voted for the Conservatives?

It's you that can't separate football from politics.

Alfred E Newman
16-12-2019, 02:21 PM

How is it 100% SNP? What about the thousands of people in Glasgow who didn't vote for them?
Anyway, I didn't realise you had to be of a certain political persuasion to support your team.

hibbysam
16-12-2019, 03:05 PM
There's two different groups of people lumped under the term 'they' there.

You must surely be aware that the Green Brigade and Celtic FC's management are not the same people. There's been extensive and well-publicized history of public disagreements between them over one thing or another. Neither the Green Brigade's banners nor Celtic's advertising hoardings have any obligation to agree with each other, and there's no hypocrisy or conflict of interest for one group to welcome Tories while another tells them to get tae ****.

I have absolutely no idea what the Celtic board have to do with this conversation?

Robinho08
16-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Not all Rangers fans, but lots of them are anti SNP and vote Tory because of unionist views solely because they support Rangers. Twitter is a wash with them.

Supporting Hibs or what it means to support Hibs has never swayed how I've voted, so yes I can separate politics from football.

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2019, 03:49 PM
How is it 100% SNP? What about the thousands of people in Glasgow who didn't vote for them?
Anyway, I didn't realise you had to be of a certain political persuasion to support your team.

Well yeah, i meant it's only SNP MP's now, kinda thought it was obvious that some folk voted for other parties.

As for your 2nd point, that's exactly the point I'm making! I was quoting someone who claimed that all Rangers fans vote Conservative.

ABZHFC
16-12-2019, 04:56 PM

If you support Hibs and vote Tory, then it's fair to say that you completely miss the point of why our club was founded, and why we still have to hold food bank drives outside Easter Road each winter

Corstorphine Hibby
16-12-2019, 05:05 PM
If you support Hibs and vote Tory, then it's fair to say that you completely miss the point of why our club was founded, and why we still have to hold food bank drives outside Easter Road each winter

Deary me

Cataplana
16-12-2019, 05:15 PM

I'm sure it's not that simple.

marleyhib
16-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Have zero issue with this or Palestinian flags, applaud both in fact

Keith_M
16-12-2019, 05:42 PM
I've decided to make a banner for Friday's game that protests about Bojo, Rees-Mogg and the rest of the useless Tory twits that were born into a life of privilege and now rule our country for the benefit of their own kind and the evil business owners that hide their wealth in tax havens.

Rod Stewart will not be mentioned.

The 90+2
16-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Have zero issue with this or Palestinian flags, applaud both in fact

Its sad as **** at football matches.

The 90+2
16-12-2019, 05:47 PM
I've decided to make a banner for Friday's game that protests about Bojo, Rees-Mogg and the rest of the useless Tory twits that were born into a life of privilege and now rule our country for the benefit of their own kind and the evil business owners that hide their wealth in tax havens.

Rod Stewart will not be mentioned.

They didn’t exactly have an overwhelming vote to vote themselves. The British people voted them and their policies and we have to go along with it because so many **** themselves when it came to the independence referendum. Unless you voted yes to independence then it’s hell mend anyone the state the country is in now.

What the **** it’s got to do with football I’ll never know though.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Yep, but nowhere near as despicable as the Tory Party, which the chant was actually about.

Let's face it, the Green Brigade got a riddy because a famous Celtc Fan outed himself as a Tory, hence the Banner.

I'd imagine, though, that most people chanting about their hatred for the Tories were giving their views on Bojo and friends, NOT people that just happen to vote Tory.

The banner was quite clear - "Tories not welcome"

It wasn't "UK government not welcome".

That tells me that they want to exclude anyone who happens to vote Conservative from entering Parkhead and supporting Celtic.

Amazinsauzee
16-12-2019, 06:21 PM

That tells me that they want to exclude anyone who happens to vote Conservative from entering Parkhead and supporting Celtic.

The UK government is the Tories surely?

Keith_M
16-12-2019, 06:31 PM

Is that why their executive seats were nearly empty?

I bet a lot of their Players, Coaching Staff and Directors were p1ssed off as well.

:faf:

Andy74
16-12-2019, 06:31 PM

Total pish.

ABZHFC
16-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Total pish.

It really isn't. Our club wouldn't exist but for brave men fighting the conservative establishment to allow us to be recognised as an institution, never mind when you look at how Irish people came to live in the UK anyway. I would never chastise any Hibs supporter voting Tory, it's their right to, but the majority of our fans do not, and I am not accepting any Conservative trying to paint themselves out to be some kind of victim, when their very ideology promotes oppression

lucky
16-12-2019, 06:39 PM
I agree with the right of Green Brigade showing what they want but it breaks the rules Celtic get punished. But it’s naive to think that football clubs are not run by capitalists and that most boardrooms if not all will contain Tory supporters within their ranks. As for Rod Stewart the guys a dick who will latch onto anything which furthers his own self worth

Eyrie
16-12-2019, 07:24 PM
This thread reminds me why I avoid the Holy Ground forum.

When I'm at Easter Road I couldn't care less if the people next to me are Johnson, Corbyn and Sturgeon, as long as all three are supporting Hibs.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2019, 07:46 PM
The UK government is the Tories surely?

I was replying to a post which suggested the banner was aimed solely at "Boris Johnson and his friends" rather than at everyone who voted Conservative last week.

Phil MaGlass
16-12-2019, 07:50 PM
Not all Rangers fans, but lots of them are anti SNP and vote Tory because of unionist views solely because they support Rangers. Twitter is a wash with them.

Supporting Hibs or what it means to support Hibs has never swayed how I've voted, so yes I can separate politics from football.

Think I read somewhere that the huns were canvassed and the majority of Huns actually voted SNP.

weecounty hibby
16-12-2019, 07:59 PM
Think I read somewhere that the huns were canvassed and the majority of Huns actually voted SNP.

There are two big huns in our circle of six families that holiday together and are all pretty close. Both are huge Indy supporters and one is an SNP member.
I was also at chool with and still pals with a guy who is an SNP councillor, huge Hun who attends games. Hates all the rule brittania pish

Hibs4185
16-12-2019, 08:16 PM
I wonder if the Celtic fans will be hounding Dermot Desmond out of parkhead if they’re making such a moral stand?

He was named in the panama papers and no doubt hides every penny where he can.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2019, 08:21 PM
I wonder if the Celtic fans will be hounding Dermot Desmond out of parkhead if they’re making such a moral stand?

He was named in the panama papers and no doubt hides every penny where he can.

If the Green Brigade is being true to their roots I'm sure they'll happily see their club be part of a fair distribution of wealth throughout Scottish football, paying fair prices for other team's players and supporting a wage cap on players' salaries.....:faf:

The Pointer
16-12-2019, 08:31 PM
This thread reminds me why I avoid the Holy Ground forum.

When I'm at Easter Road I couldn't care less if the people next to me are Johnson, Corbyn and Sturgeon, as long as all three are supporting Hibs.

Couldn't agree more. Gie's peace.

Andy74
16-12-2019, 08:33 PM
It really isn't. Our club wouldn't exist but for brave men fighting the conservative establishment to allow us to be recognised as an institution, never mind when you look at how Irish people came to live in the UK anyway. I would never chastise any Hibs supporter voting Tory, it's their right to, but the majority of our fans do not, and I am not accepting any Conservative trying to paint themselves out to be some kind of victim, when their very ideology promotes oppression

You said that anyone voting Conservative totally missed the point of what the club was founded - or why we support food banks.

That's way too simplistic and pretty outdated.

You are confusing a number of things here. British Imperialism, Sectarianism, anti Irishness and so on can't just be equated to the Conservative Party in 2019.

Some of the worst examples of Sectarianism and anti Irish activity back in the day took place in extreme working class conditions such as shipyards and the docks. Not many of them were voting Conservative.

I don't think, and the big majority showed this, that current Conservative voters are made up purely of the type of people you think.

I wouldn't be making any assumptions about what the majority of our fans are or are not. I know they are all Hibs fans though and are very much welcome on that basis alone.