PDA

View Full Version : Mallan

madhatter
15-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Difference in quality is obvious, whole team wide. However, I can’t help but think Mallan can’t play in midfield as his concentration is terrible and lacks hugely in mobility. We need to stop playing Mallan in same team as Allan. Doesn’t work. He needs to add more to his game. You can tell when Mallan switches off while defending, immediately apparent in body language.

We need to strengthen the midfield in January, more than 1 signing necessary. I would sell or loan some of the current players, I don’t think some are good enough.

Allant1981
15-12-2019, 04:02 PM
I actually thought he was ok today

SMAXXA
15-12-2019, 04:05 PM
I think he’s too easy to criticise personally. After a defeat we always seem to find someone, I’d be looking at others before him if that’s the approach but don’t see what good it would do. Didn’t think he was that bad, any worse that Allan say?

Since452
15-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Magnificent ball that almost lead to a goal.

Keith_M
15-12-2019, 04:11 PM
No point picking out individual players.

We got beat by a better team, time to move on

allmodcons
15-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Difference in quality is obvious, whole team wide. However, I can’t help but think Mallan can’t play in midfield as his concentration is terrible and lacks hugely in mobility. We need to stop playing Mallan in same team as Allan. Doesn’t work. He needs to add more to his game. You can tell when Mallan switches off while defending, immediately apparent in body language.

We need to strengthen the midfield in January, more than 1 signing necessary. I would sell or loan some of the current players, I don’t think some are good enough.

Funny that, did we not hump Aberdeen 3v0 last week?

Heisenberg
15-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Looked good together in midfield in our 3-0 win vs Aberdeen. Hecky tried it constantly and it was awful, although I’ve a feeling that was more to do with his setup than either of the players.

Absolutely need a proper defensive midfielder in the team which will allow Hallberg to be a bit more box to box. Not sure Mallan gets in the side once we’ve signed one.

The 90+2
15-12-2019, 04:18 PM
I actually thought he was ok today

Same here.

LaMotta
Magnificent ball that almost lead to a goal.

:agree:

Mistakes were from Porteous and Allan today. That's what cost us.

matty_f

Mallan was brilliant last week.

JJP
I thought he played pretty well today. Not to criticise Scott Allan but Mallan had a better game than him in my opinion.

The 90+2

Totally. There’s no shame in it.

bingo70
15-12-2019, 04:19 PM

Correct

madhatter
15-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Funny that, how many times have Mallan and Allan played in same team this season and where are we in the league compared to Aberdeen?

In fairness to Mallan, I barely noticed him or Allan in today’s game. I thought both were poor. If neither are going to contribute to defending and tackling then they need to make sure we keep possession when we have the ball. Both were culpable in playing poor passes and taking the wrong options. Balance of squad will always be a mess when we are playing Boyle and some strange diamond. Also in fairness to them, Kamberi was probably our worst player. Rest of the team apart from those 3 did ok.

Hanlon and Porteous had good games.

brog
15-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Funny that, how many times have Mallan and Allan played in same team this season and where are we in the league compared to Aberdeen?

In fairness to Mallan, I barely noticed him or Allan in today’s game. I thought both were poor. If neither are going to contribute to defending and tackling then they need to make sure we keep possession when we have the ball. Both were culpable in playing poor passes and taking the wrong options. Balance of squad will always be a mess when we are playing Boyle and some strange diamond. Also in fairness to them, Kamberi was probably our worst player. Rest of the team apart from those 3 did ok.

Hanlon and Porteous had good games.

So if you thought both Allan & Mallan were poor & Flo was our worst player, why did you start yet another thread about Mallan?

PaulSmith
15-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Mallan was better than Scott Allan today but unfortunately both were still miles behind 34 year old Scott Brown who absolutely schooled them both in the middle of the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madhatter
15-12-2019, 04:34 PM
So if you thought both Allan & Mallan were poor & Flo was our worst player, why did you start yet another thread about Mallan?

Few things:

1 - I think the Allan and Mallan combo is a big problem, in games when it works, then it usually works well. If it doesn't then our defence is put under huge pressure. Mallan falling asleep and losing his man has frustrated me for months. I would always select Allan over Mallan.
2 - I think this might be my 1st or possibly 2nd thread regarding Mallan.
3 - This is a forum. It is for opinion sharing surely? My opinion is Mallan is not good enough, and without wanting to start another thread...Kamberi should be sold if there is any interest.

Forza Fred
15-12-2019, 04:40 PM

yep. that is the way I see it too.

Forza Fred
15-12-2019, 04:41 PM
:agree:

Mistakes were from Porteous and Allan today. That's what cost us.

I agree re Porteous, but did think it was Stevie Mallan who poked at the ball and lost possession.

brog
15-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Few things:

1 - I think the Allan and Mallan combo is a big problem, in games when it works, then it usually works well. If it doesn't then our defence is put under huge pressure. Mallan falling asleep and losing his man has frustrated me for months. I would always select Allan over Mallan.
2 - I think this might be my 1st or possibly 2nd thread regarding Mallan.
3 - This is a forum. It is for opinion sharing surely? My opinion is Mallan is not good enough, and without wanting to start another thread...Kamberi should be sold if there is any interest.

I didn't mean you had started several threads about Mallan. It seems however as if someone does nearly every time we have a bad result. As for Flo, I posted last week that when he turns up we invariably play well. I agree however that he doesn't turn up enough & if we got a 7 figure offer for him I would certainly sell him.

Shrekko
15-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Always find it incredibly funny when people who insist it’s always Allan over Mallan usually have a dig at Mallan’s defensive work to illustrate the point. Talk about blind spots.

The criticism of Mallan has always been OTT and at times verging on embarrassing. Times must be ok if this is our standard of scapegoat.

oneone73
15-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Always find it incredibly funny when people who insist it’s always Allan over Mallan usually have a dig at Mallan’s defensive work to illustrate the point. Talk about blind spots.

The criticism of Mallan has always been OTT and at times verging on embarrassing. Times must be ok if this is our standard of scapegoat.

Agree with this.

J-C
15-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Worked last week funnily enough. There will be games like today where you have to be a bit more realistic and say we cant play 2 attack minded midfielders together, we need to add a bit more steel in there, until we get at least another defensive minded tackling midfield, then we have to use who we have.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Slacking defensively is probably more accepted when you actually contribute offensively. Mallan rarely does now.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2019, 06:02 PM
I really like Stevie Mallan. Dont get the constant critiscm of the guy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
15-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Wasn’t our poorest in there today. Hallberg was invisible.

Shrekko
15-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Slacking defensively is probably more accepted when you actually contribute offensively. Mallan rarely does now.

😴

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2019, 06:10 PM
��

A quick stat check will prove me right. You probably knew that though, thats why you replied with a daft emoji instead of a counter argument.

judas
15-12-2019, 06:13 PM

He’s a nice passer and he can hit a ball.

But, as you say he his not very mobile and can’t go past a man.

I agree that him and Allan in the same team is of dubious value and I was very surprised when it worked last week.

I should add that I did not see him today and therefore can’t pass comment on his performance.

Hibs4185
15-12-2019, 06:16 PM
I like mallan and his cross field pass today was sublime, but he does switch off for a split second at throw ins to the opposition and tracking players. That split second is all it takes though for opposition players to get in front of him.

There was a couple of times today where he switched off or didn’t track but overall I think he brings more positives than negatives.

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2019, 06:18 PM
I fancy our chances versus the Hun on Friday and Stevie Mallan could be a key player for us

It will be a totally different game from today’s game and hopefully a repeat of the Aberdeen performance should make us hard to beat

JR is still getting to know our players but he knows what he is getting with Stevie Mallan

I wonder what JR made of today’s performance?

Hibee Mac
15-12-2019, 06:22 PM
In my eyes we have to move him on if there's any interest and replace with better. Having him in the centre of the park just does not work (and one game against Aberdeen won't change that).

To sum it up, if you want to continue playing someone who has as many glaring problems and deficiencies in his game, he needs to bring something else to the table (say goals or assists). It's a cold hard fact that he hasn't brought that for far too long so to improve as a team we must recruit better.

Nicho87
15-12-2019, 06:39 PM
We don’t have a holding midfielder. Once we get one, mallberg takes Malians/Slivkas position. That’s how I see it going. Or hoping.

Hibernian Verse
15-12-2019, 06:45 PM
13 times he has played a whole game in the league this season. 3 goals and 3 assists. Basically 1 in 2 hes responsible for a goal.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2019, 06:59 PM
13 times he has played a whole game in the league this season. 3 goals and 3 assists. Basically 1 in 2 hes responsible for a goal.

His contribution outside of that has been pretty poor, though. I dunno, I've posted many times the glaring weaknesses in his game. He just isn't good enohgh to play central midfield

LaMotta
15-12-2019, 07:08 PM
I agree re Porteous, but did think it was Stevie Mallan who poked at the ball and lost possession.

People might want it to be Mallan who gave the ball away, but it was Allan.

Hibernian Verse
15-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Was he responsible for a goal last week? Or this week? Or the week before? Or the week before that?

No. So stop posting pish. This is why message boards lose credibility.Responsible at home to Motherwell which would fall into your new criteria. Not sure what the personal attack is for, I just posted stats. But you do you, Victor.

Hibernian Verse
15-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Was he responsible for a goal last week? Or this week? Or the week before? Or the week before that?

No. So stop posting pish. This is why message boards lose credibility.And he scored against St Mirren, pen or not.

LaMotta
15-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Responsible at home to Motherwell which would fall into your new criteria. Not sure what the personal attack is for, I just posted stats. But you do you, Victor.

Oh sorry mate I think we are on the same side....I thought you meant he cost us a goal :hilarious

I agree with you re Mallan. Too much bevvy in glasgow today apologies.

Vault Boy
15-12-2019, 07:29 PM
His pass to play in Naismith was a thing of beauty. Absolutely inch perfect and wouldn't be out of place at any level of football.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2019, 07:33 PM
Oh ffs. Mallan does what he does well. Hes not a defensive mid, some of his play is sublime.

madhatter
15-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Would Mallan get in our side if we get a defensive midfielder? The problem with our midfield comes down to Boyle really, if we play Boyle we really should have someone on the other side - unless we are going to play him through the middle. This ties into the problem with Mallan, he is not mobile enough to shuttle between the middle and the wings. More than once I've seen Hallberg shuttle across and that's left a gaping hole through the middle. If someone in the diamond does not shuttle across to the wing then Stevenson gets overloaded and people end up criticising Stevenson as he is left 2 vs 1.

It's my opinion, nothing else, so I may be talking rubbish but I think our midfield is a complete mess in terms of balance and when that problem is fixed I'm not sure Mallan is in the team. My criticism of him is meant in a "I hope he doesn't go in the 'so much potential but achieved nothing' category and I just get the feeling Hibs and football will leave him behind unless he adds more than shooting and the odd cross field ball to his game. He would play the Scott Allan role at another club, I doubt he wants to be the backup to Allan so he needs to adapt his game, improve other aspects. Apart from his goals, Mallan is the same as Slivka - they don't appear to be developing. Compare to Boyle and the comparison is clear.

Hibernian Verse
15-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Oh sorry mate I think we are on the same side....I thought you meant he cost us a goal :hilarious

I agree with you re Mallan. Too much bevvy in glasgow today apologies.I was so confused!

Hibernian Verse
15-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Would Mallan get in our side if we get a defensive midfielder? The problem with our midfield comes down to Boyle really, if we play Boyle we really should have someone on the other side - unless we are going to play him through the middle. This ties into the problem with Mallan, he is not mobile enough to shuttle between the middle and the wings. More than once I've seen Hallberg shuttle across and that's left a gaping hole through the middle. If someone in the diamond does not shuttle across to the wing then Stevenson gets overloaded and people end up criticising Stevenson as he is left 2 vs 1.

It's my opinion, nothing else, so I may be talking rubbish but I think our midfield is a complete mess in terms of balance and when that problem is fixed I'm not sure Mallan is in the team. My criticism of him is meant in a "I hope he doesn't go in the 'so much potential but achieved nothing' category and I just get the feeling Hibs and football will leave him behind unless he adds more than shooting and the odd cross field ball to his game. He would play the Scott Allan role at another club, I doubt he wants to be the backup to Allan so he needs to adapt his game, improve other aspects. Apart from his goals, Mallan is the same as Slivka - they don't appear to be developing. Compare to Boyle and the comparison is clear.

I think the answer is probably not. Hallberg is proving to be a great acquisition and I'd like to see him further forward.

The balance has been missing since we lost Bartley and Milligan IMO, because we don't have anyone that is an out-and-out "sit in front of the back four and mop up" midfielder.

I reckon Ross will address this in Jan.

Smartie
15-12-2019, 08:18 PM
I can’t make my mind up about him. Excellent attacking qualities, terrible defensive ones. I didn’t think it was ever going to be possible to accommodate both him and Scott Allan but the 2nd half of the Aberdeen was outstanding and made me re-think.

Even coming off the bench he’s done well under Ross. Our success this season depends on sorting the midfield and I’d be amazed if he wasn’t the one to be sacrificed.

I’d be gutted if we lost him though, because whenever he’s on the field you feel like he’s got a goal or an assist in him out if nothing. I’ve seen to many games and too many teams lacking in inspiration to dismiss that lightly.

SMAXXA
15-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Didn’t he scoop the end of year awards last season? If so I’d say that’s a decent achievement in itself he won’t be a world beater and I’d be surprised if he moved on to a bigger stage than us but he’s defo been a good signing imo. I still think he has a lot to offer but equally don’t think he is indispensable like the majority of our squad

Shrekko
15-12-2019, 08:54 PM
A quick stat check will prove me right. You probably knew that though, thats why you replied with a daft emoji instead of a counter argument.

I think you’ve proved in later posts that stats presented to you won’t make any difference whatsoever so why you asking for a stat check?

It was the same last year- he was involved in nearly 30 goals but it still wasn’t enough for some.

Defensively he’s not that great - obviously but his attributes far outweigh his weaknesses.

If you can’t give credit where it’s due or be consistent with other players then it’s pointless.

we are hibs
15-12-2019, 09:05 PM
Oh ffs. Mallan does what he does well. Hes not a defensive mid, some of his play is sublime.

Shame about the rest of his play.

Hibeesmad
15-12-2019, 09:09 PM
A player like Mallan is going to receive both plaudits and criticism, I personally think he's a very good player for a team of our stature and the fact he was voted both fans and players player of the year last season probably suggests majority of people agree with that.

LaMotta
15-12-2019, 09:15 PM
I think you’ve proved in later posts that stats presented to you won’t make any difference whatsoever so why you asking for a stat check?

It was the same last year- he was involved in nearly 30 goals but it still wasn’t enough for some.

Defensively he’s not that great - obviously but his attributes far outweigh his weaknesses.

If you can’t give credit where it’s due or be consistent with other players then it’s pointless.

:top marks

brog
15-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Yep, last year, when Mallan's goals & assists stats were outstanding, his detractors told us stats were meaningless. I believe his performance stats, as measured by Hibs staff, are also amongst the best in the squad. Oh, & his teammates voted him POTY but what would they know.
I actually agree we have an imbalance in midfield but that's what you get when you play 2 up front as well as a #10. There's always a sacrifice to be made whatever formation we play & signing a DM won't necessarily change that.

makaveli1875
15-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Don't get the flak Mallan cops at all. We were crying out for a midfielder that can score for years.. Then we get 1 and just moan and slate him because he's not great at tackling.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Don't get the flak Mallan cops at all. We were crying out for a midfielder that can score for years.. Then we get 1 and just moan and slate him because he's not great at tackling.

He hasn't scored regularly in well over 12 months.

HendoDelivered
15-12-2019, 10:53 PM
Current scapegoat IMO. Shame.

Allant1981
16-12-2019, 07:35 AM

But has scored though in that 12 months

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 08:00 AM

In 2019, how many players have scored more league goals for us than him? Not many would be my guess, Doidge and McNulty possibly. Chuck in his assists and he’s still contributes more than most from an attacking perspective despite playing in deeper positions (where he shouldn’t play because he can’t tackle).

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2019, 09:09 AM
In 2019, how many players have scored more league goals for us than him? Not many would be my guess, Doidge and McNulty possibly. Chuck in his assists and he’s still contributes more than most from an attacking perspective despite playing in deeper positions (where he shouldn’t play because he can’t tackle).

He's managed 6 goals the entire year in the league. Nothing special really.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 09:22 AM
He's managed 6 goals the entire year in the league. Nothing special really.

More or equivalent to the likes of Kamberi. Playing in a deep position.

Since452
16-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Mallan would be a first pick or first team regular for anyone in this division outside the ugly sisters

green with envy
16-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Allan cost us a goal yesterday, Mallan didn't. Yet you pick on the latter for which I felt he played okay.

Jock O
16-12-2019, 10:52 AM
There was ani interesting interview with Mallan the other day, i thought BBC but can't find it. He is very aware of needing to improve, and thought came over very well, He commented on the whole social media thing and how he is aware he gets it tight from some, and how it impacts its family, It was interesting reading if someone can find it!

Actually its here, as an expat I find myself missing the Evening News, till I read it! Think he comes over as very self aware on this

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/big-interview-hibs-stevie-mallan-fans-criticism-his-own-performances-heckys-words-wisdom-and-rollercoaster-ride-1339595

MWHIBBIES
16-12-2019, 11:20 AM
More or equivalent to the likes of Kamberi. Playing in a deep position.

Flo has 8 already this season. Playing less games as well.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Not in the league, which is what we were discussing. If you don’t think Mallan is contributing enough offensively, you must surely acknowledge that someone like Flo isn’t when he hasn’t even returned double figures in the league this calendar year?

I’ll happily say that Mallan can be ineffective but he’s been good since Ross came in making an impact of the bench and playing well against Aberdeen.

Yesterday, he was pretty much in the same boat as everybody else.

JDHibs
16-12-2019, 12:16 PM

In the league only -

Kamberi
Games - 17
Goals 3
Assists 3
Minutes 1157

Mallan
Games 18
Goals 3
Assists 3
Minutes 1232

Why drop the league cup? Because a striker at a top flight team should be scoring freely against Elgin, Arbroath, Alloa & Morton.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2019, 12:30 PM
In the league only -

Kamberi
Games - 17
Goals 3
Assists 3
Minutes 1157

Mallan
Games 18
Goals 3
Assists 3
Minutes 1232

Why drop the league cup? Because a striker at a top flight team should be scoring freely against Elgin, Arbroath, Alloa & Morton.

I’m not necessarily discounting his league cup goals, but it’s a poor return in the league. I also wasn’t really trying to dig him out, it’s just to point out that Mallan hasn’t contributed as little attacking wise as has been suggested, despite being shunted about in to different midfield positions and not necessarily in attacking parts of the pitch, when you compare to others.

Mallan merits criticism for certain things, definitely. I’m just not sure that is one of them.