PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson interview

hibee_girl
14-12-2019, 07:50 AM
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lewis-stevenson-ive-never-liked-watching-myself-play-im-not-exactly-easy-on-the-eye-pv2jgb7qv

Good interview from Lewis here.

It’s interesting what he says about negative comments from the fans affecting him.

Dmas
14-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Something I’d have thought he’d have gotten used too, can’t read that article as not subscribed but one of if not the most consistent performers for us over a number of years yet there is still a band of fans waiting in the wings to shout him down for one cross hitting the first man, doesn’t matter that he’ll burst a gut for 90mins tearing up and down the pitch battling for everything

JohnM1875
14-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Anyone fancy copy and pasting it?

Saying I need to sign up to read the full thing apparently!

04Sauzee
14-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Can't read it but im a big fan of his, bump into him a lot where i stay and a nicer guy you will never meet. Love the guy.

SMAXXA
14-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Something I’d have thought he’d have gotten used too, can’t read that article as not subscribed but one of if not the most consistent performers for us over a number of years yet there is still a band of fans waiting in the wings to shout him down for one cross hitting the first man, doesn’t matter that he’ll burst a gut for 90mins tearing up and down the pitch battling for everything

I don’t think he gets it that bad to be honest, it’s like anything else people will have players they like and others not so much. On the whole he’s loved and respected by Hibs fans as a genuine Hibs legend imo and that’s what he will remember not the inevitable select fans who don’t rate you as a player

Hibbyradge
14-12-2019, 09:31 AM
It has a pay wall and I don't want to give Murdoch any of my money.

I'm sure there will be many who feel the same way so, unless someone copies and pastes the article, a potentially great thread will never reach the heights it truly deserves. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
14-12-2019, 09:44 AM
I find Lewis is probably the player who polarises reaction more than any other.

There are those who have never really rated him and they make sure everyone knows about it. On the flip side there are those who seem very protective of him and every criticism of him is lumped into the pile with those of people who hold the former view. Even criticism that is warranted is often dismissed as 'scapegoating'.

Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend as far as I'm concerned and he has given us well over a decade of good service as a fine player. I rate him and will always defend his contribution over the years. I also don't think 'poor Lewy' needs patronised and to be treated as though he has to be sheltered from criticism or, perhaps more accurately, treated as though he is above it.

Power
14-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Honest interview, definitely a couple of points to ponder.

FOOTBALL | LEWIS STEVENSON INTERVIEW

Lewis Stevenson: I’ve never liked watching myself play — I’m not exactly easy on the eye
Graham Spiers
December 14 2019, 12:01am, The Times

Stevenson 31, has served under 11 managers at Hibs and seen off ten

When I arrived and sat down yesterday to chat with Lewis Stevenson, we immediately began picking over the election result from the night before, and in particular Labour’s spectacular collapse. Fourteen years ago Stevenson was on the brink of going to Dundee University to study politics before a full-time offer from Hibs came in the way. His father, Brian, is a Labour activist in Kirkcaldy, where Stevenson grew up, and is currently feeling gutted.

“It’s funny, I’ve come in here today to training and no-one among the players has mentioned the election yet,” said Lewis. “I guess that’s football for you.” Stevenson has a left-of-centre world view, which informs much of his charity work, and is a clear deposit from his father.

This perennial Hibs full back just goes on and on down that left flank. It is amazing that Stevenson is still only 31; he sometimes seems to have been featuring in Scottish football’s top flight since Tony Blair was in Number 10, though in fact his breakthrough season was 2006. Stevenson has played under 11 Hibs managers — Tony Mowbray, John Collins, Mixu Paatelainen, John Hughes, Colin Calderwood, Pat Fenlon, Terry Butcher, Alan Stubbs, Neil Lennon, Paul Heckingbottom and Jack Ross — and has seen ten of them off to date.

“I’ve actually got on well with all of them,” he says. “But I think that’s because I tend to keep my head down and do what I’m told. I don’t cause anyone much bother.”

Stevenson is self-deprecating to a point of almost painful modesty. He is the only players in Hibs’ history to have won both a League Cup and a Scottish Cup — he did them nine years apart — and cannot stand watching himself playing in any TV highlights, which he religiously avoids.

“I’d never watched the 2016 Scottish Cup final back until very recently,” he says. “I’ve never liked watching myself playing, even in the good times. I’m not sure why. It’s something to do with my style of play — I’m not exactly easy on the eye.”

Stevenson even insists the Hibs fans must be a bit bored watching him play. “When Hibs sign a new player, any fan wants to see him get in the team and do well,” he says. “You don’t want to see the same guy going up and down the left. You get bored watching the same guy, surely?

“I’ve been here 12 years and I’ve understood the fans’ frustration with me sometimes. Over the years my form has dipped here and there and I’ve known it. But so long as I’m here I think the fans know I’ll give everything I’ve got.”

By his own admission there is something sensitive and maybe even a little fragile in Stevenson’s psyche. He had to learn, he says, to come off social media after being wounded once too often by a comment he read about himself. “Even if I had a great game, and there might be 100 comments saying nice things about me, there would be one or two negative ones that would stick. It was heartbreaking to see what some people were saying about me.

“Maybe I’m too soft. If there are lots of positive things said, it would be the negative ones that would stay with me and bug me. So I stay off social media as much a possible now.

“The mental side of playing football is massive. You need to have confidence as a player; you don’t want to feel like you’ve got to go out on the pitch to prove yourself to some fans who have been hammering you on social media.

“I know footballers today like to interact with each other on social media, but I leave that to others. My advice to any young footballer coming through today would be: ‘Stay off social media as much as you can’.”

For a while Stevenson was almost taken for granted by Hibs: shunted from position to position and never knowing if his recurring one-year contracts were going to be renewed. He smiles at the memory of it, and that bus queue of Hibs managers. “Someone once called me ‘Polyfilla’ because I was being put here, there and everywhere in the team: right back, centre mid, left back, left mid. And there were times when I thought, ‘I’ve got to the end of my career here, it’s maybe better for me to move away’.

“There were times when Hibs were forever giving me one-year deals, and I’d get to March or April and still be wondering if I was going to get a new contract. I never bothered with an agent, it just wasn’t me.

“But these last five or six years have been a lot more stable. I feel strong, I feel fit, I don’t miss many training sessions. I’ve probably played my best football as I’ve got older. Plus, for all that they might be bored watching me, my rapport with the Hibs fans now is probably as good as it’s ever been.”

It has all been quite a joyride for the quiet kid from Kirkcaldy. “I was meant to go to uni back in 2005. That summer I went on an end-of-school trip to Magaluf with some pals, but when I came home there was a contract offer on the table for me from Tony Mowbray.

“I was just this wee lad from Fife. When I first came down here and walked through the doors of Easter Road I never imagined that 13 or 14 years later I’d still be here.

“Garry O’Connor, Derek Riordan, Steven Fletcher, Gary Caldwell were all here. I was a wee kid walking in and saying ‘wow!’ On any international break back then there would be five or six Hibs lads away. It was incredible.”

Stevenson vowed to himself that, when his testimonial game came round two years ago, he would give half of the proceeds to charity. He spoke to a friend, Graeme Cadger, about it, out of which came his charitable work with Paul Hanlon through the Hanlon Stevenson Foundation.

“I always wanted to try to help people in a small way. I gave away half my money from my testimonial, but I still had some money left over. So we decided to start something — the foundation — where I could carry on trying to help. Paul felt the same so we decided to club together.

“We give money out to different charities in the Edinburgh area. The idea is to give under-privileged kids the chance to play football, given that nowadays it can cost 50 quid a month for a kid to play at a sports club. It didn’t seem fair to me that traditional working class kids were being priced out of the game.

“Right now we help two charities in Edinburgh: Helping Hands and Street Soccer. We are currently funding a coach for Street Soccer for the whole year. I’m not boasting about it or anything, it’s just something I want to do.”

JohnM1875
14-12-2019, 09:50 AM
He really is some man!! What an absolute legend!

BS44
14-12-2019, 09:54 AM
A proper man who puts the rest of us to shame.

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Makes you appreciate as a person even more.

green day
14-12-2019, 09:55 AM
LS and PH are, and continue to be, great players for us.

That they occasionally have poor matches or dips in form is understandable and forgiveable.

Their achievements at Hibs and what they are doing for charity is fantastic.

LithgaeHibby
14-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Incredible guy. Don't know if I've ever heard a footballer being so modest and self-deprecating.

O'Rourke3
14-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Nice interview. Great guy. Club Legend.

KWJ
14-12-2019, 11:58 AM
They deserve the upmost respect from the Hibs fans for what they've achieved.

weecounty hibby
14-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Great guy and if there really is such a thing as Hibs class Lewis is it

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 12:09 PM
I was not his biggest fan in his early days, but he grew on me and its fair to say he became my favourite player of recent seasons.

He is probably coming towards the end of his time as a first team regular, although it wouldnt surprise me if he kicked on again and proved me wrong.

A legend.:top marks

sleeping giant
14-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Absolute living legend.
What a man.

Bostonhibby
14-12-2019, 12:28 PM
Great professional and a wonderful servant to our club. Delighted he's one of us. Always been a fan of Lewis.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

wookie70
14-12-2019, 12:33 PM
This forum might night like the phrase Hibs class but Lewis oozes it from every pore. A true legend in many senses and on different levels and my favourite ever Hibs player.

Shrekko
14-12-2019, 12:35 PM
It’s a shame he doesn’t seem to really realise what he means to the club and fans. Can’t believe he doesn’t think his style is easy on the eye - he’s not swashbuckling but is very comfortable on the ball and neat and tidy.

Think his recent performances prove there’s more in the tank - really good player and excellent person!

calumhibee1
14-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Absolute legend.

Fergos
14-12-2019, 01:09 PM
One word - Legend.

GGTTH

stoneyburn hibs
14-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Great read, legend.

CraigHibee
14-12-2019, 02:20 PM
he is a top guy and a loyal servant, would love to see him staying at us for his full career

Hi Heid Yin
14-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Lewis is indeed a legend.
It took me years to truly appreciate what he brought to our side and I was, for a good while, vocal in my criticism of him, but only ever on Hibs.Net, never at a game.
Now, I admire, respect and appreciate him for his 100% effort, commitment and professionalism...plus, he genuinely has one of the most endearing personalities going.
His conduct both on and off the park is first class.
He truly is a wonderful ambassador for our beloved club.

el hibs
14-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Legend.

Smartie
14-12-2019, 03:04 PM
It may not come naturally to him but he really needs to give himself a break.

There is a very good reason why he’s held in such high regard by the Hibs fans.

Jonnyboy
14-12-2019, 04:01 PM
It may not come naturally to him but he really needs to give himself a break.

There is a very good reason why he’s held in such high regard by the Hibs fans.

He’ll never change now. I had the good fortune to interview him on the pitch as the team paraded the CIS Cup around ER and when I asked him how he felt having been voted man of the match he said he was stunned even to be here as he wasn’t even the best player in his school football team!

He’s a lovely and very grounded laddie and deserves all the plaudits he gets 👍

cmcd
14-12-2019, 06:08 PM
I find Lewis is probably the player who polarises reaction more than any other.

There are those who have never really rated him and they make sure everyone knows about it. On the flip side there are those who seem very protective of him and every criticism of him is lumped into the pile with those of people who hold the former view. Even criticism that is warranted is often dismissed as 'scapegoating'.

Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend as far as I'm concerned and he has given us well over a decade of good service as a fine player. I rate him and will always defend his contribution over the years. I also don't think 'poor Lewy' needs patronised and to be treated as though he has to be sheltered from criticism or, perhaps more accurately, treated as though he is above it.

Well said

JimBHibees
15-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Incredible guy. Don't know if I've ever heard a footballer being so modest and self-deprecating.

Totally agree very modest but an absolute credit to himself and his family the fantastic career he has had. You can't buy integrity and he seems to have it in bucket loads should be the perfect role model for all young players.

Bishop Hibee
15-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Great read. A role model for any young player starting out. Legend.

Just_Jimmy
15-12-2019, 08:26 AM
It's funny cos I went to uni in Dundee at the same time he was due to be there. I knew his brother, through a mate who was on his course. Lewis used to turn up and drink soft drinks all night, say not much and leave early.

I would never divulge anything he did say regards Hibs. Needless to say he's a class act on and off the pitch.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Brightside
15-12-2019, 08:35 AM
It’s a shame he doesn’t seem to really realise what he means to the club and fans. Can’t believe he doesn’t think his style is easy on the eye - he’s not swashbuckling but is very comfortable on the ball and neat and tidy.

Think his recent performances prove there’s more in the tank - really good player and excellent person!

As he says he thankfully doesn’t read forums and tries to stay of social media. There are plenty who continually say we should have better and he’s not good enough. He will continue to prove them wrong.

Sir David Gray
15-12-2019, 08:50 AM
He's a fine footballer, no-one plays for Hibs' first team for 14 years if they're not.

However even more than that, he's a great person. I've been lucky enough to have met him a couple of times at functions and you cannot hope to meet someone who is more down to earth than Lewis Stevenson. Absolutely no airs or graces about him and he's got time for everyone who wants to talk to him.

He's a true credit to himself, his family and the club. It will be a sad day when he finally decides to move on and Hibs will be all the poorer for it.

I really hope he continues to have an association with the club long after he retires. He's the perfect role model for any young athlete on how to conduct themselves.

He is a living legend of this football club.

CentreLine
15-12-2019, 09:12 AM
Admins need to file this article and post it every time there is a debate about whether fan reaction from the stands has an effect on the players on the park.

Jones28
15-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Brilliant, that boy should have a job for life at Easter Road.

JimBHibees
15-12-2019, 09:35 AM
Admins need to file this article and post it every time there is a debate about whether fan reaction from the stands has an effect on the players on the park.

Totally agree they are human beings like us all.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Get the statue funded.

Mcpakeisgod
15-12-2019, 09:50 AM
What a man!

neil7908
15-12-2019, 09:53 AM
What a guy

FilipinoHibs
15-12-2019, 09:55 AM
He was the whipping boy on here for a while then the perfect club servant who never let us down. Always a 7/10. Defo a confidence player so has affected his performances.

Wilson
15-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Don't be ridiculous. A self confessed softie's reaction to negative comments on social media is not definitive proof of anything. Certainly it won't be a full stop on any debate about a fans right to express their unhappiness - particularly in the face of performances like we witnessed under Heckingbottom.

matty_f
15-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Don't be ridiculous. A self confessed softie's reaction to negative comments on social media is not definitive proof of anything. Certainly it won't be a full stop on any debate about a fans right to express their unhappiness - particularly in the face of performances like we witnessed under Heckingbottom.

I remember when Heckingbottom suggested that a nervousness from the stands impacted the players. Captains Trip argued that, because Adam Jackson said it didn't, then that was fact.

Now there's a suggestion that the crowd to affect players and it's dismissed because it's from a "softy".

It's almost as if folk don't want to acknowledge that their behaviour has an adverse affect on players because that means they might actually have to think about what they're doing and change how they behave, and we can't have that, can we?!

matty_f
15-12-2019, 11:14 AM
He's a fine footballer, no-one plays for Hibs' first team for 14 years if they're not.

However even more than that, he's a great person. I've been lucky enough to have met him a couple of times at functions and you cannot hope to meet someone who is more down to earth than Lewis Stevenson. Absolutely no airs or graces about him and he's got time for everyone who wants to talk to him.

He's a true credit to himself, his family and the club. It will be a sad day when he finally decides to move on and Hibs will be all the poorer for it.

I really hope he continues to have an association with the club long after he retires. He's the perfect role model for any young athlete on how to conduct themselves.

He is a living legend of this football club.

I live near to Lewis and occasionally bump into him, he'll always stop for a quick chat and he's a lovely guy. It's not for me to talk about it, but he's been amazing with my son as well.

He is a credit to the club, and a very good player.

MWHIBBIES
15-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Can you give me an example of online abuse having a positive impact?

CentreLine
15-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Right back at you, don’t be ridiculous. Idiots will always abuse our players idiots fail to understand that this has an adverse affect on their performance. But idiots pay their money and are entitled to do everything the can to adversely affect the performances of our team. I don’t have to agree with it but that’s life

.Sean.
15-12-2019, 11:57 AM
He’s a legend. I think it’s safe to assume he’ll be with us until he retires and he’ll have a job within the club whatever the role may be for as long as he wants it when the sad day comes and he’s no longer a player.

PISTOL1875
15-12-2019, 01:34 PM
LS and PH are, and continue to be, great players for us.

That they occasionally have poor matches or dips in form is understandable and forgiveable.

Their achievements at Hibs and what they are doing for charity is fantastic.

Are you for real ?? Paul hanlon has been in bad form for over a year now,. One of the main reasons we keep shifting so many goals...

jacomo
15-12-2019, 01:37 PM
I was not his biggest fan in his early days, but he grew on me and its fair to say he became my favourite player of recent seasons.

He is probably coming towards the end of his time as a first team regular, although it wouldnt surprise me if he kicked on again and proved me wrong.

A legend.:top marks

Well said. Lewis is a hero.

He has his limitations of course but the number of managers who have placed their trust in him is unreal.

I love the guy.

Peevemor
15-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Despite apparently being one of the nicest guys in the world, you don't have a career like his at a team like Hibs if you're a softy. Far from it.

jacomo
15-12-2019, 01:47 PM
he is a top guy and a loyal servant, would love to see him staying at us for his full career

I’d be heart broken to ever see him representing another club.

The guy is in such good physical shape I think he can play for us for a good few seasons yet. I also wonder if he might move back into midfield as a ‘water carrier’ (Lewis sitting alongside a mobile player like Hallberg could be a really good pairing).

Northernhibee
15-12-2019, 01:48 PM
He's up there in the very top tier of Hibs legends IMO. So, so few one club players in world football and we've had one that's achieved something that no other Hibby has.

Brightside
15-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Are you for real ?? Paul hanlon has been in bad form for over a year now,. One of the main reasons we keep shifting so many goals...

Here he is! :greengrin

jacomo
15-12-2019, 02:09 PM

You’re on the wrong thread at the very least and possibly the wrong site.

PISTOL1875
15-12-2019, 02:30 PM
Here he is! :greengrin

Am I wrong in what I am saying ???

PISTOL1875
15-12-2019, 02:31 PM
You’re on the wrong thread at the very least and possibly the wrong site.

I call it like it is.. People obviously cannot handle the facts...

matty_f
15-12-2019, 02:38 PM
I call it like it is.. People obviously cannot handle the facts...

You call it as you see it, not necessarily how it is. You have to accept that other people will have different opinions, they'll also believe they're calling it like it is.

PISTOL1875
15-12-2019, 02:40 PM
You call it as you see it, not necessarily how it is. You have to accept that other people will have different opinions, they'll also believe they're calling it like it is.

I made the point that Paul hanlon has been poor for over a year now. Would you agree or diasgree with me on that particular statement ???

jacomo
15-12-2019, 02:52 PM
I made the point that Paul hanlon has been poor for over a year now. Would you agree or diasgree with me on that particular statement ???

Wrong thread.

Is that so difficult for you to understand?

greenlex
15-12-2019, 02:54 PM

He’s certainly not the main reason we are currently behind at Parkhead. What say you about that?🤨

cmcd
15-12-2019, 03:12 PM

I disagree that PH has been poor for over a year .He has had some poor and some good depending who his partner is . Only my opinion ofcourse

jacomo
15-12-2019, 03:18 PM
I disagree that PH has been poor for over a year .He has had some poor and some good depending who his partner is . Only my opinion ofcourse

Wouldn’t even bother replying to this guy tbh.

If he wants to have a chat about PH let him start another thread.

matty_f
15-12-2019, 03:32 PM

I agree, you made that point on here over a year ago.

I think he's had some poor games and some good ones.

PISTOL1875
15-12-2019, 05:55 PM
He’s certainly not the main reason we are currently behind at Parkhead. What say you about that?🤨

Well i agree with that yes..

Keith_M
15-12-2019, 06:32 PM
As he says he thankfully doesn’t read forums and tries to stay of social media. There are plenty who continually say we should have better and he’s not good enough. He will continue to prove them wrong.

I honestly wonder why anybody in the public eye would read Social Media.

Its the perfect venting ground for the extremists and nutters.

kaimendhibs
15-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Love the guy

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HendoDelivered
15-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Legend of a guy 💚 will we ever see a player stay us for so long and be as consistent/injury free? Probably not.

JimBHibees
16-12-2019, 05:58 AM
Despite apparently being one of the nicest guys in the world, you don't have a career like his at a team like Hibs if you're a softy. Far from it.

Absolutely requires tremendous strength of character especially given some of the teams he has played in. Huge respect to Lewis.

BILLYHIBS
16-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Club Legend

Always gives 100% every game maybe not all a 10/10 performance but always gives his all

That is all a HIBS fan expects nothing more nothing less

Scottish Cup Winner 2016

Scottish League Cup winner and Man of the match 2007

Whats not to like?

CRAZYHIBBY
16-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Not to mention the fact that nobody has been able to take his place and keep it