PDA

View Full Version : Approach to the next 2 games

we are hibs
13-12-2019, 08:59 AM
It will be interesting to see how we set up and how we go about playing against celtic and rangers over the next week. It was something heckingbottom was strongly and correctly critisised for sitting back, inviting them on and showing them too much respect. Whether that was down to a lesser quality of player last season compared to previous years i dont know but what i remember is coming away from the celtic cup game at Easter Road half feeling dejected and half feeling angry at the fact we struggled to lay a glove on them, especially at home.

From what i remember Jack Ross St.Mirren side played very well at Celtic park whilst in the Championship and Celtic were unbeaten and swatting away every side they faced. I hope we go to parkhead on Sunday and at least have a go. We may not win, we probably wont win realistically, but at least let them know theyve been in a game. Same applies to next Friday. We have nothing to lose in the next 2 games. Go and express yourselves and relish the challenge like we have done more and more in the last few weeks.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Hope we do what's best to win the game. We sat back and countered Aberdeen. Probably the best way to go this time.

We have 6 points to lose so I really don't want to go out and be ultra offensive and get walloped just to say we've had a go.

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Hope we do what's best to win the game. We sat back and countered Aberdeen. Probably the best way to go this time.

We have 6 points to lose so I really don't want to go out and be ultra offensive and get walloped just to say we've had a go.

Certainly don't want us to be hammered however have abilities to cause them real bother on the break.

Keith_M
13-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Approach?

Get stuck in and just win the bl**dy games!

we are hibs
13-12-2019, 09:09 AM

We didnt counter attack under heckingbottom. That was my point. As always you take any old opposing view if it helps you sleep at night 👍

Power
13-12-2019, 09:10 AM
It will be interesting to see how we set up and how we go about playing against celtic and rangers over the next week. It was something heckingbottom was strongly and correctly critisised for sitting back, inviting them on and showing them too much respect. Whether that was down to a lesser quality of player last season compared to previous years i dont know but what i remember is coming away from the celtic cup game at Easter Road half feeling dejected and half feeling angry at the fact we struggled to lay a glove on them, especially at home.

From what i remember Jack Ross St.Mirren side played very well at Celtic park whilst in the Championship and Celtic were unbeaten and swatting away every side they faced. I hope we go to parkhead on Sunday and at least have a go. We may not win, we probably wont win realistically, but at least let them know theyve been in a game. Same applies to next Friday. We have nothing to lose in the next 2 games. Go and express yourselves and relish the challenge like we have done more and more in the last few weeks.

I think the majority would absolutely agree with this, with the right preparation, correct motivation and aggressive approach there absolutely no reason why this squad couldn’t come back with a positive performance and result.

Green Badger
13-12-2019, 09:10 AM
I remember when we lost 2-0 to Celtic at ER not long after Heckingbottom was appointed and was surprised how much we sat off them compared to our previous fixtures against the OF. This suggests it wasn't the players abilities but more how the manager decided to approach the game tactically. We had beaten them 2-0 at ER just 3 months previously.

I'm not saying we should go gung-ho, as pointed out above a counter attacking strategy works well with the players we have, however we certainly need to show more fight and less respect to them than we did under Heckingbottom.

superfurryhibby
13-12-2019, 09:41 AM
I remember when we lost 2-0 to Celtic at ER not long after Heckingbottom was appointed and was surprised how much we sat off them compared to our previous fixtures against the OF. This suggests it wasn't the players abilities but more how the manager decided to approach the game tactically. We had beaten them 2-0 at ER just 3 months previously.

I'm not saying we should go gung-ho, as pointed out above a counter attacking strategy works well with the players we have, however we certainly need to show more fight and less respect to them than we did under Heckingbottom.

Exactly, the 2-0 victory was the result of pressing them all over the pitch, never giving a minutes peace.

Stuck in for 90 minutes, no sitting off them, that's the best way to play them.

Stuart93
13-12-2019, 09:56 AM
Exactly, the 2-0 victory was the result of pressing them all over the pitch, never giving a minutes peace.

Stuck in for 90 minutes, no sitting off them, that's the best way to play them.

Agreed

Best way to play both of them

That rangers defence are capable of making mistakes if you’re right on top of them.

Sitting back is the worst thing you can do against either of them.

jacomo
13-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Yup I think we all detested Hecky’s passive approach to these games. It did us no favours.

Have a go. One win and one loss is more valuable than two draws after all.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2019, 07:15 PM
We didnt counter attack under heckingbottom. That was my point. As always you take any old opposing view if it helps you sleep at night 👍

Did we not? we tried i think, just weren't good enough.

Please keep it on topic, this thread isn't about me.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2019, 07:44 PM
^^^ Groundhog Day.

we are hibs
13-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Did we not? we tried i think, just weren't good enough.

Please keep it on topic, this thread isn't about me.

I realise that. I started the thread, pal.

SunshineOnLeith
14-12-2019, 10:45 AM
We don't have any proper defensive midfielder players and can't hold onto a slim lead so there's no point trying to play passive, attack is the best form of defence for us right now.

1van Sprou7e
14-12-2019, 11:12 AM
We don't have any proper defensive midfielder players and can't hold onto a slim lead so there's no point trying to play passive, attack is the best form of defence for us right now.

Yeah, we don't have a team capable of parking the bus and getting a result, however we can hurt them in attack

hibbysam
14-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Heckingbottom put a second striker on at ibrox when we went down to ten men, it backfired and he never recovered with some fans for getting hammered there. It would’ve been easy to go 4-4-1 ultra defensive at that point but he wanted to try and get something from it, once we lost the 3rd goal we couldn’t then change to go more defensive due to the players on the park, he couldn’t win that day. Fairly sure he drew with both Celtic and Rangers at home also, great results for anyone.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2019, 08:48 PM
I realise that. I started the thread, pal.

Well obviously not.

rcarter1
14-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Heckingbottom put a second striker on at ibrox when we went down to ten men, it backfired and he never recovered with some fans for getting hammered there. It would’ve been easy to go 4-4-1 ultra defensive at that point but he wanted to try and get something from it, once we lost the 3rd goal we couldn’t then change to go more defensive due to the players on the park, he couldn’t win that day. Fairly sure he drew with both Celtic and Rangers at home also, great results for anyone.

That was a difficult day, and attacking the Old Firm can backfire for sure. However if Heckingbottom had won the following 4 games after that I think he'd have started to get back people on side. I just can't see us achieving much playing too defensive. Id rather going for an open game and hope our strikers and goalkeepers have more luck on their side than theirs.

hibbysam
14-12-2019, 11:15 PM
That was a difficult day, and attacking the Old Firm can backfire for sure. However if Heckingbottom had won the following 4 games after that I think he'd have started to get back people on side. I just can't see us achieving much playing too defensive. Id rather going for an open game and hope our strikers and goalkeepers have more luck on their side than theirs.

I’m certainly not sticking up for any other results under him, I just feel that result was one where he couldn’t win, and our support still treat rangers as if they are the rangers of 2/3/4 years ago, whereas this season, them and Celtic are so far ahead of the rest that any result against them is a huge result again. Heckingbottom gambled that day trying to get back into the game and also got a few draws against the two of them, any points we collect is a bonus, and like it or not these two teams will pin us back for long spells and we will have to defend properly first if we are to have a chance.