PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy O’Rourke nostalgia

Carheenlea
12-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Stumbled across this earlier - had never seen i before - some nostalgia and escapism to divert from the General Election on this wet Thursday night..

https://youtu.be/cK2MBVjZa50

BILLYHIBS
12-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Brilliant!

Loved that goal in the Dryburgh Cup Final to make it 4-3 I think he just run out of ideas and just hit it into the postage stamp

Very difficult to get a copy of that clip

Everyone knows his name!

Sammy7nil
12-12-2019, 08:34 PM
Stumbled across this earlier - had never seen i before - some nostalgia and escapism to divert from the General Election on this wet Thursday night..

:thumbsup:

Skol
12-12-2019, 08:35 PM
I forgot just how mad pitches used to be. Incredibly that some of those games went ahead and no wonder we had more wingers as that was where the only good ground was.

gbhibby
12-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Was listening to the celtic game on the radio and the commentator said that demble was the youngest player to play in Europe for a Scottish club. I think Jimmy beats demble by 7 months.

Lago
12-12-2019, 08:52 PM

Thank you so much, I'm sitting here watching that almost in tears, the young faces of the players I watched as a young man, such a great team brought a great deal of joy to my life. 👌

MGmick
12-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Just great. That goal in the LC Final always makes me choke up. Him and God, two of my all time favourite players. :hibees

Forza Fred
12-12-2019, 09:05 PM
I had the privilege to be involved in helping to organise a visit to Australia by Jimmy and his wife Anne, back in 2007.

Not only a fabulous player and all round great guy, but a magnificent ambassador for Hibernian football club.

Was at his debut game against Utrecht in 62 and also had the misfortune to be at Dens Park for what I thought his last first team appearance for Hibs...(although I read recently that I may be mistaken on that one)

Needless to say that Jimmy's visit to OZ, with functions in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney was an outstanding success, and I can still remember sitting up on deck of a harbour cruise boat, sailing under the Sydney Harbour Bridge with Jimmy, and former Hibs supporters Chairman Ronnie Ferguson, singing Glory Glory to the Hibees!

ozhibs
12-12-2019, 09:18 PM
I had the privilege to be involved in helping to organise a visit to Australia by Jimmy and his wife Anne, back in 2007.

Not only a fabulous player and all round great guy, but a magnificent ambassador for Hibernian football club.

Was at his debut game against Utrecht in 62 and also had the misfortune to be at Dens Park for what I thought his last first team appearance for Hibs..
.(although I read recently that I may be mistaken on that one)

Needless to say that Jimmy's visit to OZ, with functions in Perth, Melbourne and Sydney was an outstanding success, and I can still remember sitting up on deck of a harbour cruise boat, sailing under the Sydney Harbour Bridge with Jimmy, and former Hibs supporters Chairman Ronnie Ferguson, singing Glory Glory to the Hibees!

I can only echo what Fred says as one of the few that went to all 3 functions he is a true Hibee he was in tears when over a 100 people sang “ Jimmy Jimmy O’ Everyone knows his name “ I know I shed a few tears as well
Definitely up there as one of the highlights of my life

Deansy
12-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Great video - whenever Jimmy's name pops-up, I remember great exciting, electric football and I'm so thankful I witnessed it !

Onion
12-12-2019, 10:56 PM
Great player, great servant and genuine good guy. To be able to watch him over many of those years, was genuine privilege.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 11:10 PM
Some very rare footage on that You Tube compilation. Jimmy was a hero to me as a boy, he still is nearly 50 years after I first saw him play.

Biggie
13-12-2019, 06:34 AM

Ok I'm having a grey moment.....I cant find/see any video....duh just found it on youtube. Good times

One Day
13-12-2019, 07:08 AM
Absolutely brilliant, you cant beat a bit nostalgia even if it makes you realise you're getting old

hughio
13-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Absolutely brilliant, you cant beat a bit nostalgia even if it makes you realise you're getting old

The years may go by but we never grow old.

How is Jimmy... anyone?

:flag:

thebakerboy
13-12-2019, 11:51 AM
One of my favourite players and was lucky enough to get to know him and his wife Anne when they had the Corstorphine Inn for a few years , also Stan Vincent used to work behind the bar.

Kato
13-12-2019, 02:23 PM

:aok:

Stanton's running and passing, made it look all too easy.

MM19
13-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Thank you so much, I'm sitting here watching that almost in tears, the young faces of the players I watched as a young man, such a great team brought a great deal of joy to my life. 👌
Me too. I was at all these games brilliant

ancient hibee
13-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Was listening to the celtic game on the radio and the commentator said that demble was the youngest player to play in Europe for a Scottish club. I think Jimmy beats demble by 7 months.

Spot on.It's pathetic how media outlets get fed this rubbish and don't check it.In the papers too.

Lago
13-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Me too. I was at all these games brilliant

:aok:

ancient hibee
13-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Two pieces of TV "journalism by (for the oldies)George Davidson and Peter Thomson featuring Jimmy.Davidson on a highlights commentary as camera closes in on Jimmy"that's him the Hibs number 7 eh,eh,Jimmy eh,eh ,Jimmy eh ,eh number 7".Thomson in studio reading out a match report "and Hibs rounded off the game with two goals from O'Rourke.Two very similar goals it says here.The first was a header from a corner and the second was eh a penalty".

brog
13-12-2019, 06:08 PM

How is Jimmy... anyone?

Jimmy's fine. I was with him & Pat at the St M game in August.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Greetin sitting here....:not worth

bigwheel
13-12-2019, 08:56 PM
What a player....and some top class tornados footage on that YouTube share...that outside of the right foot quick free kick at parkhead Wow...

And the Ayr united game was my first ever away Game...so great to see it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brog
13-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Wonderful, thanks for posting!

O'Rourke3
13-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Brilliant.

BILLYHIBS
13-12-2019, 11:39 PM
What a player....and some top class tornados footage on that YouTube share...that outside of the right foot quick free kick at parkhead Wow...

And the Ayr united game was my first ever away Game...so great to see it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The freekick was from a 2-6 defeat from Celtic in the League Cup Final at Hampden on 5/4/1969 delayed because of a fire in stand earlier in the season

bigwheel
14-12-2019, 01:51 AM
The freekick was from a 2-6 defeat from Celtic in the League Cup Final at Hampden on 5/4/1969 delayed because of a fire in stand earlier in the season

[emoji106]. It was great quick thinking..shows his smart football brain ...

Forza Fred
14-12-2019, 04:01 AM
[emoji106]. It was great quick thinking..shows his smart football brain ...

I wuz there😉

Good thread...reminded me I hadn’t posted Jimmy’s Christmas card!

JimBHibees
14-12-2019, 07:55 AM
Brilliant clips and pretty sure I was at St Johnstone game. Shame no footage of some of the great European nights such as Sporting Lisbon when we horsed them 6 1 with Jimmy scoring a hat trick. What a wonderful team that was with Jimmy a key part of it. Left the club too early and summed it up when he scored the winner on his first game back at ER for st Johnstone.

Golden Bear
14-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Thanks for posting that D.

I remember being up at Pittodrie for an away game with 2 mutual acquaintences who were nattily clad in woollen bobble hats. This was long before the days of "Jimmy" hats but one of the hats had "Jimmy" knitted in to it while the other had "O'Rourke."

Half an hour after the game had finished we were heading back to the car and the great man himself happened to be walking in the opposite direction, when he saw the hats he burst into raucous laughter and had a smile that the man in the moon would have been proud of.

Great days.

:thumbsup::greengrin

brog
14-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Brilliant clips and pretty sure I was at St Johnstone game. Shame no footage of some of the great European nights such as Sporting Lisbon when we horsed them 6 1 with Jimmy scoring a hat trick. What a wonderful team that was with Jimmy a key part of it. Left the club too early and summed it up when he scored the winner on his first game back at ER for st Johnstone.

The St J game was a cup tie in 1974. The week before an obviously unfit Joe Harper had made his debut at Falkirk & replaced Alan Gordon. Gordon was restored for the visit to Muirton & the embrace between him & Jimmy after the 3rd says it all.

One Day
15-12-2019, 08:17 AM

How is Jimmy... anyone?

Growing older is inevitable, Growing up is optional

Roxyhibee
15-12-2019, 08:47 AM

We headed back to the bus at 6-0 and when we got there, driver told us about Hibs scoring 2 late goals. Gutted I missed them, but I was only 10.

Pity there isn’t any footage of the semi at Tiny beating Dundee 1-0. My dad took me and my Jambo mate, who still remembers it and hating Hibs winning there that night.

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2019, 10:46 AM
We headed back to the bus at 6-0 and when we got there, driver told us about Hibs scoring 2 late goals. Gutted I missed them, but I was only 10.

Pity there isn’t any footage of the semi at Tiny beating Dundee 1-0. My dad took me and my Jambo mate, who still remembers it and hating Hibs winning there that night.

2-1

George McLean gave Dundee the lead but Colin Stein equalised 30 seconds later

With 15 minutes left Allan McGraw was carried off with a leg injury

HIBS had already used their sub and were down to ten men but McGraw reappeared and scored a late winner off his knee from Eric Stevenson’s corner

Wilson, Shevlane, Davis,Cousin, Stanton McGraw,Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stevenson sub ORourke

Att: 19752

Glory Glory

Roxyhibee
15-12-2019, 11:42 AM
2-1

HIBS had already used their sub and were down to ten men but McGraw reappeared and scored a late winner off his knee from Eric Stevenson’s corner

Wilson, Shevlane, Davis,Cousin, Stanton McGraw,Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stevenson sub ORourke

Att: 19752 Glory Glory

Ah 👍 just recall the whole Ali McGraw story that night and have it in my head as a solitary goal.

brog
15-12-2019, 04:31 PM

Of course the LC final was delayed by about 4 months because of a fire at Hampden. In between times we sold Colin Stein, our form dipped & Stein's replacement, Joe McBride, was cuptied!

Forza Fred
15-12-2019, 05:01 PM
2-1

Glory Glory

Remember it well.:flag::flag::flag:

JimBHibees
17-12-2019, 06:47 AM
2-1

Glory Glory

Just before my time but that win in a semi final at Tynecastle sounds absolutely amazing.

JimBHibees
17-12-2019, 06:48 AM
Of course the LC final was delayed by about 4 months because of a fire at Hampden. In between times we sold Colin Stein, our form dipped & Stein's replacement, Joe McBride, was cuptied!

Nightmare sounds like the semi when we sold Garry O, Deek got suspended and Scott Brown broke his leg.

Roxyhibee
17-12-2019, 06:59 AM

If I recall correct, Stein was going to be suspended for the Final date.?

That led to rumours amongst our pals that Hibs fans must have set Hampden on fire so he could play at a later date.

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Just before my time but that win in a semi final at Tynecastle sounds absolutely amazing.

It was to this ten year old

I did not even know the game was on but my late Dad decided to go along at the last minute and probably gave me a lift over the turnstiles

I remember we stood at the Gorgie Road end and it was rammed with Hibees so we got a great view of Ally McGraw bundling the winner over the line

Dundee at that time had a very good team

Funnily enough I picked up a mint condition programme for a £5 from the programme shop in Albion Road a few weeks ago

Great memories