PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: JAMIE-LEE NAPIER DEPARTS HIBERNIAN LADIES

RSS Bot
12-12-2019, 06:20 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10461)

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Man utd bound?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
12-12-2019, 06:31 PM
deleted
Just nae need.

JimBHibees
12-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Do Hibs not get compensation. She looks a real talent.

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Chelsea.

Pretty Boy
12-12-2019, 06:48 PM
She's a cracking player and will be a big success down in England. Can only be a good thing for the national team but another player Hibs have developed that can walk away for nothing.

There's a deicison to be made here.

Vault Boy
12-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Do Hibs not get compensation. She looks a real talent.

Not whilst they're not a pro team unfortunately

jws1875
12-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Something to do with her public loving for Rangers on twitter maybe?

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 06:54 PM
She's a cracking player and will be a big success down in England. Can only be a good thing for the national team but another player Hibs have developed that can walk away for nothing.

There's a deicison to be made here.She's going to Chelsea. They're well above her level. Hopefully she makes an impact but I'm not convinced.

Hibs need to get their finger out.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2019, 06:55 PM
She's going to Chelsea. They're well above her level. Hopefully she makes an impact but I'm not convinced.

Hibs need to get their finger out.

What do Hibs need to do?

Vault Boy
12-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Something to do with her public loving for Rangers on twitter maybe?

🙄

Or maybe more to do with her talent, earning a move to a professional team?

Congrats to Jamie-Lee, clearly a big loss for the ladies.

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 06:59 PM
What do Hibs need to do?Get a handle on a professional set up. They constantly lose players to England and are going to be left behind in Scotland as other clubs go pro.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Get a handle on a professional set up. They constantly lose players to England and are going to be left behind in Scotland as other clubs go pro.

Would this be financially benefitial for Hibs?

Pretty Boy
12-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Get a handle on a professional set up. They constantly lose players to England and are going to be left behind in Scotland as other clubs go pro.

Exactly.

It's possible to be professional without paying big bucks or even being full time, at least in the short term.

We have lost a lot of players to the increasingly cash rich English league in recent years and not received a penny for any of them. Had we spent a small sum going pro it could be argued it would have made us money rather than cost us.

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Would this be financially benefitial for Hibs?Are you one of those who only cares if it impacts the men's team? Honestly asking cos I don't know.

Regardless - woman's football is and continues to grow. Hibs can be part of it or be left behind. It's a massive boost for lots of young girls who see these women as icons.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Are you one of those who only cares if it impacts the men's team? Honestly asking cos I don't know.

Regardless - woman's football is and continues to grow. Hibs can be part of it or be left behind. It's a massive boost for lots of young girls who see these women as icons.

I agree, it has massive benefits. Would the mens team suffer and by proxy, the business, if we done this?

Honestly, I only want the Hibs mens team to win, I don't really care about womans football. I don't dislike it, I enjoyed the womans world cup in the summer, but my passion will always be mens football.

Hibs would be silly be invest in this and lose money now IMO. Womans football has no real crowds, no real sponsors, coverage etc. The womans team is doing well enough right now.

Eyrie
12-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Are you one of those who only cares if it impacts the men's team? Honestly asking cos I don't know.

That's my concern.

We're one of the top two teams in the country at the moment, and have the opportunity to build on that which will benefit the club in the future as the women's game grows.

If we don't invest then we'll get left behind when other clubs do so.

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
I agree, it has massive benefits. Would the mens team suffer and by proxy, the business, if we done this?

Honestly, I only want the Hibs mens team to win, I don't really care about womans football. I don't dislike it, I enjoyed the womans world cup in the summer, but my passion will always be mens football.

Hibs would be silly be invest in this and lose money now IMO. Womans football has no real crowds, no real sponsors, coverage etc. The womans team is doing well enough right now.That's fair enough. It wouldn't take huge investment and it would open up sponsorship opportunities.

They should be looking at it.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2019, 07:27 PM
That's fair enough. It wouldn't take huge investment and it would open up sponsorship opportunities.

They should be looking at it.

They probably are looking at it. The Hibs board didn't come up the clyde on a banana boat, if it was worth doing I think they'd be doing it

Just_Jimmy
12-12-2019, 07:29 PM
They probably are looking at it. The Hibs board didn't come up the clyde on a banana boat, if it was worth doing I think they'd be doing itI don't think that's logic for never questioning decisions they make.

MWHIBBIES
12-12-2019, 07:34 PM
I don't think that's logic for never questioning decisions they make.

No, certainly not. I dunno if criticising them for not investing in something for mainly sentimental reasons is right either though. It has to be worth it for the club. Right not it probably isn't.

wallpaperman
12-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Very sad news, but felt this was probably coming.

She seems a really nice girl, always great for photos with the kids at the games, and she comes across very well in interviews.

Best of luck Jamie-Lee.

Andy74
12-12-2019, 07:40 PM
There ends my interest in the ladies team.

wallpaperman
12-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Somewhat creepy, no?

HoboHarry
12-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Jamie Lee Curtis is more my age group......

Andy74
12-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Somewhat creepy, no?

Why’s that?

Athletes have long been marketed on their attractiveness. Male and female. Hibs haven’t been shy of using her in just about every tweet relating to the ladies team.

I think the females in our support comment fairly regularly on the likes of Darren McGregor. Hibs were tweeting Daily Darren pics a while back.

She’s also a very decent player and I dare say she will do pretty well out of the marketing side too.

Brightside
12-12-2019, 07:49 PM
What do Hibs need to do?

Go pro. But hibs have no interest in that and treat the girls side like the under 7s community boys team.

Brightside
12-12-2019, 07:50 PM
That's my concern.

We're one of the top two teams in the country at the moment, and have the opportunity to build on that which will benefit the club in the future as the women's game grows.

If we don't invest then we'll get left behind when other clubs do so.

We won’t be in the top 3 in 2 years time.

Andy74
12-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Go pro. But hibs have no interest in that and treat the girls side like the under 7s community boys team.

Different markets just now. Who would pay the salaries to go pro? Not the current ladies team support.

Brightside
12-12-2019, 07:53 PM
Different markets just now. Who would pay the salaries to go pro? Not the current ladies team support.

The salaries are buttons. Our efforts are now Mickey Mouse and we are going to be left massively behind. They should be going out and getting sponsored. But we screwed that up as a club too. Even the younger teams aren’t allowed to get sponsorship. It’s a shambles now. Becoming part of the community arm is the worst thing they did for the ladies section.

bingo70
12-12-2019, 07:59 PM
The salaries are buttons. Our efforts are now Mickey Mouse and we are going to be left massively behind. They should be going out and getting sponsored. But we screwed that up as a club too. Even the younger teams aren’t allowed to get sponsorship. It’s a shambles now. Becoming part of the community arm is the worst thing they did for the ladies section.

How much would it cost annually to go pro?

Even on a modest wage, 20ish players and coaching staff would be a significant sum.

It’s a no from me, if that means they’re not as good in a few years time them so be it.

Andy74
12-12-2019, 08:00 PM
The salaries are buttons. Our efforts are no Mickey Mouse and we are going to be left massively behind.

What is buttons?

I genuinely don’t know what the expectation on salaries are but I’m afraid at a club of Hibs’ income every pound matters.

Say you pay a squad of 20 at a paltry £10k per year that’s over 600 season tickets.

I think the additional coverage and focus is great but if we are talking a professional game it has to pay its way doesn’t it?

wallpaperman
12-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Why’s that?

Athletes have long been marketed on their attractiveness. Male and female. Hibs haven’t been shy of using her in just about every tweet relating to the ladies team.

Your posts suggest that Hibs ladies are only interesting to you based on their prettiness. Fair enough, entitled to that opinion, I’m out on this one.

Green Badger
12-12-2019, 08:04 PM

So the ladies team can’t go and get separate sponsorship, that’s mental. I assume Glasgow City aren’t professional, so the big risk comes from the huns etc. funding their ladies team.

Pretty Boy
12-12-2019, 08:05 PM
How much would it cost annually to go pro?

Even on a modest wage, 20ish players and coaching staff would be a significant sum.

It’s a no from me, if that means they’re not as good in a few years time them so be it.

I think there has to be consideration given to the growth of women's football.

Compare the WC from 8 years ago to the one this summer. The difference in crowds, quality of football and coverage was night and day. Where will that go in another 8 years? Transfer fees are slowly growing in England, the TV deal is growing and they are looking to Scotland for talent. There's money to be made there. There's also now a generation of girls between toddler and early teens who have grown up having easy access to playing football and seeing women playing on the big stage. That wasn't the case a generation ago and it's a whole new market for the womens game.

In a few years women's football is going to be big (bigger?) business and we have a chance to have a real headstart on our rivals. As it is I'd expect Hearts, Rangers and Celtic to overtake us in the not too distant future.

Pretty Boy
12-12-2019, 08:07 PM
So the ladies team can’t go and get separate sponsorship, that’s mental. I assume Glasgow City aren’t professional, so the big risk comes from the huns etc. funding their ladies team.

Re sponsorship you are correct. The ladies team are bound by the same commercial deals as the men's team (or they were a couple of years ago when I had reason to enquire) so can't negotiate anything for themselves.

Wembley67
12-12-2019, 08:12 PM
What are the prices like intransfer markets for women's footy?

Andy74
12-12-2019, 08:13 PM

You might be taking that a little too seriously. I’m sure you’re just as precious about the likes of David Beckham being marketed.

Wembley67
12-12-2019, 08:14 PM
Ps just googled her, she is hot. Nowt wrong with saying that either...jeezo 🙄🙄🙄

Andy74
12-12-2019, 08:15 PM
I think there has to be consideration given to the growth of women's football.

Compare the WC from 8 years ago to the one this summer. The difference in crowds, quality of football and coverage was night and day. Where will that go in another 8 years? Transfer fees are slowly growing in England, the TV deal is growing and they are looking to Scotland for talent. There's money to be made there. There's also now a generation of girls between toddler and early teens who have grown up having easy access to playing football and seeing women playing on the big stage. That wasn't the case a generation ago and it's a whole new market for the womens game.

In a few years women's football is going to be big (bigger?) business and we have a chance to have a real headstart on our rivals. As it is I'd expect Hearts, Rangers and Celtic to overtake us in the not too distant future.

If every team sorted themselves out in due course we’d expect to be kicking around the same sort of league positions as the men’s team though wouldn’t we?

Purple & Green
12-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Is that a bit awkward given our head of sales and marketing is the general manager of glasgow city?

Brightside
12-12-2019, 08:16 PM

Glasgow City have loads of players on contracts. They do that via sponsorship. A decent sponsor could cover the whole team.

Andy74
12-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Glasgow City have loads of players on contracts. They do that via sponsorship. A decent sponsor could cover the whole team.

They aren’t attached to a corresponding men’s team though.

There must be some pay off in not getting sponsorship but being funded, promoted, using facilities and so on?

That doesn’t get covered by any gate money.

Brightside
12-12-2019, 08:25 PM
They aren’t attached to a corresponding men’s team though.

There must be some pay off in not getting sponsorship but being funded, promoted, using facilities and so on?

That doesn’t get covered by any gate money.

The ladies team isn’t attached to the men’s team though. They are part of Hibs Community. If there is a legal reason that they can’t get sponsorship that’s down to Hibs screwing it up. Rangers now have a different sponsor for their woman’s team. It’s just badly run. There is opportunity but we have been very poor at exploiting that.

Hi Heid Yin
12-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Good luck, Jamie-Lee.
May your career and bank balance blossom!

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Good luck, looked a stand out whenever I dipped a toe into the ladies game.

mca
12-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Few weeks before christmas - and am just gutted that Hibs never released a Swimwear section.. :wink:

only cos the wife was wanting to buy me some hibs speedos.. :greengrin

Heisenberg
12-12-2019, 11:12 PM
Chelsea is a very staunch move for her, tbf.

Shrekko
13-12-2019, 12:13 AM
Chelsea is a very staunch move for her, tbf.

She played for Celtic and Hibs so don’t think the fact she’s a Rangers fan has coloured her career decisions. She was a bit silly to tweet what she did on Sunday but it’s a shame if it’s tarnished things as she clearly was absolutely fantastic for Hibs.

Cracking move for her and if she does do well down there she could literally become a poster girl for obvious reasons - same reasons good looking male players become poster boys.

Hibs ladies seem to lose so many players but always find a way to remain successful.

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 06:29 AM

Unless they are self sufficient not sure I would support money coming out of top team budget to pay for it disappointing as that no doubt is.

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 06:30 AM
She played for Celtic and Hibs so don’t think the fact she’s a Rangers fan has coloured her career decisions. She was a bit silly to tweet what she did on Sunday but it’s a shame if it’s tarnished things as she clearly was absolutely fantastic for Hibs.

Cracking move for her and if she does do well down there she could literally become a poster girl for obvious reasons - same reasons good looking male players become poster boys.

Hibs ladies seem to lose so many players but always find a way to remain successful.

What did she tweet? If it was disappointment at the team she supports losing personally don't see a problem with it.

Brightside
13-12-2019, 07:10 AM
Unless they are self sufficient not sure I would support money coming out of top team budget to pay for it disappointing as that no doubt is.

And where have I said we should do that? Again if it was run properly it wouldn’t be an issue. The club has been in a fortunate position up to this season with being able to pick and choose from the latest crop of players at the national performance centre based at Oriam. That will stop now hearts have upped the anti and Celtic and Rangers are offering (less than min wage) contracts. Don’t worry no one is stealing money from the men’s team. Hibs have no interest in it at all at a football level.

Purple & Green
13-12-2019, 07:18 AM

I think the women’s team are part of the community foundation rather than the football club?

Brightside
13-12-2019, 07:28 AM
I think the women’s team are part of the community foundation rather than the football club?

And there lies the problem. It’s run in a way to promote the strip sales and the brand. The vision of more people wearing hibs tops. Rather than a vision of building the capability. If a boys signs for the academy suddenly he has No subs and doesn’t pay for strips etc. All the way to the first team on the girls side that’s not the case. It’s a nonsense approach and will eventually end up with dropping all interest in elite ladies football.

Onceinawhile
13-12-2019, 09:07 AM
What did she tweet? If it was disappointment at the team she supports losing personally don't see a problem with it.

She retweeted a Rangers Tweet before the final on Sunday.

Something along the lines of "today's the day" with a gif of their players celebrating.

I think it's a sign of how far the ladies game has come that people are getting worked up about matters like that. Usually it's only idiots who support the men's team who do!

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Something along the lines of "today's the day" with a gif of their players celebrating.

I think it's a sign of how far the ladies game has come that people are getting worked up about matters like that. Usually it's only idiots who support the men's team who do!

Indeed :greengrin

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 09:10 AM
And where have I said we should do that? Again if it was run properly it wouldn’t be an issue. The club has been in a fortunate position up to this season with being able to pick and choose from the latest crop of players at the national performance centre based at Oriam. That will stop now hearts have upped the anti and Celtic and Rangers are offering (less than min wage) contracts. Don’t worry no one is stealing money from the men’s team. Hibs have no interest in it at all at a football level.

When you say run properly what do you mean if not taking resource from the men's team? Sponsorship? Just trying to my head around how it can be viable.

hibby rae
13-12-2019, 09:42 AM
When you say run properly what do you mean if not taking resource from the men's team? Sponsorship? Just trying to my head around how it can be viable.

Sponsorship would be a start. Directing greater marketing resources to the team too. Info can be hard to find a lot of the time. Given it's a summer league that should be seen as an opportunity to get in greater numbers.

hibby rae
13-12-2019, 09:46 AM
There's a video on youtube from August about Jamie-Lee Napier, similar to one about Joelle Murray from a couple years back.

Basically they get up at dawn to train, go to college or work all day, then train again. Long days for nothing in return. I'm not sure many male players would do that. So any time one of the girls is given an opportunity you have to say fair enough and wish them well.

The Modfather
13-12-2019, 10:19 AM
There's a video on youtube from August about Jamie-Lee Napier, similar to one about Joelle Murray from a couple years back.

Basically they get up at dawn to train, go to college or work all day, then train again. Long days for nothing in return. I'm not sure many male players would do that. So any time one of the girls is given an opportunity you have to say fair enough and wish them well.

Is that not a fairly common day for most part time players, male or female? They will do it more for a love of the game rather than getting any real financial reward for doing so.

Barman Stanton
13-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Is that not a fairly common day for most part time players, male or female? They will do it more for a love of the game rather than getting any real financial reward for doing so.

Exactly. Have worked with a few decent standard Junior players and they were working all day and training most nights.

Since90+2
13-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Good luck to her. Anyone who can advance their own career and earn decent money should he encouraged.

hibby rae
13-12-2019, 11:13 AM

The female players don't even get part-time status though. Was listening to Lower League Ramblings with Danny Denholm and Andy Munro when Joelle Murray was a guest. She was telling them about day to day life, what resources are provided to them etc. And they both said they wouldn't be playing football on those terms and thought it was shocking how little assistance female players get.

matty_f
13-12-2019, 11:38 AM

It was still just idiots who got wound up about it, unfortunately those idiots also thought that she, and the rest of us, needed to hear their opinion on it.

Just_Jimmy
13-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Officially announced by Chelsea today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191213/8dea25942ba5f251f99ccbe1bde430b4.jpg

hibby rae
13-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Officially announced by Chelsea today. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191213/8dea25942ba5f251f99ccbe1bde430b4.jpg

Wish her all the best. Can't stand in her way when she's been offered that opportunity.

Just really frustrating this happens every season with nothing to show for it. Wish Hibs would pull their finger out, it seems very counter-productive.

davhibby
13-12-2019, 03:19 PM
That’s an outstanding move for her. The equivalent of somebody leaving rangers to go to Liverpool in the mens game. Hope she does well

Malthibby
13-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Exactly.

It's possible to be professional without paying big bucks or even being full time, at least in the short term.

We have lost a lot of players to the increasingly cash rich English league in recent years and not received a penny for any of them. Had we spent a small sum going pro it could be argued it would have made us money rather than cost us.

Absolutely, fees from all those we have lost, especially in the last two years could have been re-invested in the team. If we do nothing the women's team will go backwards, Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are all investing in their women's teams, it's blinkered to think we should do nothing.

Just_Jimmy
13-12-2019, 03:50 PM
That’s an outstanding move for her. The equivalent of somebody leaving rangers to go to Liverpool in the mens game. Hope she does wellHopefully she'll play. I'm not convinced she will. Good luck though.

Forza Fred
13-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Sorry to see her go.

She was the perfect poster girl for women’s football.

A very good player, with an enthusiastic infectious personality and a smile bigger than Sydney Harbour.

Coincidentally, it was only a few days ago that I recommended her through a friend who is an official there, to a club in Oz, with the words....’she has flown under the radar up until now but.......’

Ah well maybe next season.

Good luck Jamie Lee, I’ll miss you.

RoYO!
13-12-2019, 03:58 PM
Superb move for her well done!

I’d back hibs in giving more financial support/ wages to the ladies team.

Forza Fred
13-12-2019, 04:04 PM
If it is Chelsea, then she’ll have stiff competition from another new signing.

Aussie Samantha Kerr, who plays in the USA and Australia has also just signed for Chelsea, in a rumoured Deal worth around $500 k a year.

Wouldn’t think Jamie Lee would be on anything near that figure, but guess it shows that Chelsea see a big future in the women’s game

Forza Fred
13-12-2019, 04:24 PM

So would I, and I even enquired about how I could go about sponsoring a player recently.

However, as with previous requests in regard to player sponsorships at Hibs, it seems to have disappeared into the ether of cyberspace.

BlackSheep
13-12-2019, 04:52 PM
If it is Chelsea, then she’ll have stiff competition from another new signing.

Aussie Samantha Kerr, who plays in the USA and Australia has also just signed for Chelsea, in a rumoured Deal worth around $500 k a year.

Wouldn’t think Jamie Lee would be on anything near that figure, but guess it shows that Chelsea see a big future in the women’s game

It is chelsea, they announced it this morning.

jacomo
13-12-2019, 04:58 PM

I worry that the window of opportunity to really establish Hibs at the top of the women’s game has passed.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2019, 05:21 PM
I said this would happen when the girls first started. We were told they'd not cost the mens team a penny, but that changed. Now some are moaning because they are not on contracts, contracts that cost money, and i'd bet a lot more money than the girls have ever generated through their games.

20 players on a contract of just £10k a year that was suggested is just nuts, stupid to even suggest taking that money out the club.

I also asked what was next all those years ago, well maybe we will see a non gender specific Hibs team associate themselves with Hibs, looking for some sort of funding, remember the ladies team wouldnt be getting a penny?

It would be another box ticked.

Self funding is the way any team that want to associate themselves with us should go, sink or swim under their own terms, not subsidised by a team they will never play for.

Eyrie
13-12-2019, 05:39 PM
I said this would happen when the girls first started. We were told they'd not cost the mens team a penny, but that changed. Now some are moaning because they are not on contracts, contracts that cost money, and i'd bet a lot more money than the girls have ever generated through their games.

20 players on a contract of just £10k a year that was suggested is just nuts, stupid to even suggest taking that money out the club.

I also asked what was next all those years ago, well maybe we will see a non gender specific Hibs team associate themselves with Hibs, looking for some sort of funding, remember the ladies team wouldnt be getting a penny?

Self funding is the way any team that want to associate themselves with us should go, sink or swim under their own terms, not subsidised by a team they will never play for.

Meanwhile, back in the 21st century we're not discussing a "team that wants to associate itself with us".

We're discussing a Hibs team that Hibs are very happy to promote as being part of the club, even although it is very much the poor relation. Reading this thread it is clear that Hibs could be doing a lot more to support the ladies team, whether with a small subsidy or with support in finding sponsorship.

As regards wages, how much do we pay to youths that are released without ever playing for the first team?

hhibs
13-12-2019, 06:12 PM

The whole commercial side at Hibs has and is a complete shambles.

It really cannot be said enough,that operation is a total failure.

I really thought RG would have made this his first priority,still waiting.

jacomo
13-12-2019, 06:36 PM

Er, don’t know if you’ve noticed but the women’s game has changed massively in the past decade.

We have a new owner who lives in a country where the women’s game is as big as the men’s.

Hibs used to be in the top two in Scotland but we are now facing unprecedented challenge. You don’t have to like the game or watch women’s football yourself to see the opportunity slipping away here.

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Hibs should be offering the ladies team contracts and becoming professional. The money that it would cost would be worth it in the long run. The ladies game is growing massively and failure to prepare properly will leave us miles behind and trying to play catch up. The sponsorship nonsense isn’t helping the situation as a decent sponsor would go a long way to funding the ladies team. If the games were promoted properly and played at Easter Road the larger crowds would also go a long way to help with funding. It’s absolutely living in the past to say that you don’t want the ladies team impacting the budget of the men’s team. It should be looked at as a collective effort and a collective effort that could easily mean more funding not less for the men’s team. Sponsors look for more ethical companies to put their money into and a community club like hibs that has both a professional men’s and women’s would be attractive to sponsors.

The Modfather
13-12-2019, 07:10 PM
I don’t think the black and white tone of anyone who isn’t in favour of Hibs giving the ladies team funding is automatically a dinosaur or living in the past it helps the debate.

I’m not overly keen on money generated by the men’s team going into the women’s team. I definitely think the women’s team should have free reign to get their own sponsorship, grow their own revenue streams etc etc, as well as Hibs offering use of East Mains and advertising the women’s teams fixtures on twitter etc. I wouldn’t be in favour of any money generated by the women’s team going into the men’s team. Both teams should live within their own means, and shouldn’t have any restrictions on how to grow revenue.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2019, 07:10 PM
Er, don’t know if you’ve noticed but the women’s game has changed massively in the past decade.

We have a new owner who lives in a country where the women’s game is as big as the men’s.

Hibs used to be in the top two in Scotland but we are now facing unprecedented challenge. You don’t have to like the game or watch women’s football yourself to see the opportunity slipping away here.

Genuine question this, but what is the opportunity?

Participation is growing, definitely. But Is the interest in watching it really growing? Are the crowds really going to start appearing? I just don’t see that happening in this country. And if you don’t get crowds, the revenue remains limited.

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 07:23 PM
I don’t think the black and white tone of anyone who isn’t in favour of Hibs giving the ladies team funding is automatically a dinosaur or living in the past it helps the debate.

I’m not overly keen on money generated by the men’s team going into the women’s team. I definitely think the women’s team should have free reign to get their own sponsorship, grow their own revenue streams etc etc, as well as Hibs offering use of East Mains and advertising the women’s teams fixtures on twitter etc. I wouldn’t be in favour of any money generated by the women’s team going into the men’s team. Both teams should live within their own means, and shouldn’t have any restrictions on how to grow revenue.
That would suggest that both teams should be separate and that what I disagree with. There shouldn’t be a distinction between the two teams. If they’re called hibs and play in hibs strips they should be treated as hibs.

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Participation is growing, definitely. But Is the interest in watching it really growing? Are the crowds really going to start appearing? I just don’t see that happening in this country. And if you don’t get crowds, the revenue remains limited.
The England ladies team recently sold out Wembley and the English club teams play to decent crowds. The game down there is professional and well promoted, I heard of Jamie Lee’s transfer on the news on radio 2 today. If the teams up here went professional and the game was promoted better than it is, most teams would easily be self sufficient. Edinburgh City survive comfortably on crowds of around 200.

hibby rae
13-12-2019, 07:38 PM
That would suggest that both teams should be separate and that what I disagree with. There shouldn’t be a distinction between the two teams. If they’re called hibs and play in hibs strips they should be treated as hibs.

Agreed #wearehibs

hibby rae
13-12-2019, 07:40 PM

Yes interest and attendances are growing. Thr national team's crowds are getting bigger, as are Hibs games e.g. the Scottish Cup final and the Champions League game against Slaha Prague.

One thing you notice at these games is the crowd and the behaviour of the crowd is different from the men's game. Lots of groups of kids, lots of families. A far less partisan atmosphere.

cabbageandribs1875
13-12-2019, 07:47 PM
best of luck to the lassie, can only be good for the national side as well, i think that's a few good players we've lost in the last two seasons, i was reading Livingston have joined up with blackburn united to get their foot in the door, i'm sure a young coach at hibs also coaches the blackburn girls and she even won an award for the work she puts in at a very young age.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2019, 07:48 PM
The England ladies team recently sold out Wembley and the English club teams play to decent crowds. The game down there is professional and well promoted, I heard of Jamie Lee’s transfer on the news on radio 2 today. If the teams up here went professional and the game was promoted better than it is, most teams would easily be self sufficient. Edinburgh City survive comfortably on crowds of around 200.

How decent are the crowds in England? I know they’ve had use of the men’s stadiums and gave away a lot of tickets, particularly on international breaks, but are they consistently being watched?

There are plenty of teams survive on low crowds in Scotland but I keep reading about opportunity. And to me, comparing to teams that merely survive doesn’t scream opportunity.

Iggy Pope
13-12-2019, 07:50 PM

Wouldn’t that mean the only way forward is a benefit for the Ladies team to the detriment of our professional club (I think referring to it as the Men’s team probably doesn’t do it justice).

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 07:59 PM
How decent are the crowds in England? I know they’ve had use of the men’s stadiums and gave away a lot of tickets, particularly on international breaks, but are they consistently being watched?

There are plenty of teams survive on low crowds in Scotland but I keep reading about opportunity. And to me, comparing to teams that merely survive doesn’t scream opportunity.
I honestly don’t know the crowds, but I’ve watched a few of the games and the crowds look decent. The opportunity is in the fact that the game is growing, crowds are growing and interest is growing in the ladies game. There was over 30000 at Hampden for a friendly. How far it can go is the question, but it can at the very least get to the level where it can break even. Imo it will grow way beyond that as attitudes change and more importantly the standard increases.

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Wouldn’t that mean the only way forward is a benefit for the Ladies team to the detriment of our professional club (I think referring to it as the Men’s team probably doesn’t do it justice).
No I think both will benefit each other. As the women’s game grows so will the revenue.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2019, 08:06 PM
I honestly don’t know the crowds, but I’ve watched a few of the games and the crowds look decent. The opportunity is in the fact that the game is growing, crowds are growing and interest is growing in the ladies game. There was over 30000 at Hampden for a friendly. How far it can go is the question, but it can at the very least get to the level where it can break even. Imo it will grow way beyond that as attitudes change and more importantly the standard increases.

Just my view but I don’t see it growing to that level here. I think there is a lot of talk about interest, crowds etc but I don’t think the support is there consistently enough. And I don’t think it will be.

From a participation perspective it’ll be popular but not professionally IMO.

I also think there would be a bit of resistance to the club investing in it much, as well.

Jonnyboy
13-12-2019, 08:09 PM
How would folk feel if RG pledged £100,000 per season to Hibs Ladies. Money that would not go to the men's side but be specifically ring fenced for the Ladies team?

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2019, 08:38 PM
How would folk feel if RG pledged £100,000 per season to Hibs Ladies. Money that would not go to the men's side but be specifically ring fenced for the Ladies team?

It would be a great gesture from him, he's free to do anything he likes with his money, and if anyone else wanted to donate funds towards them that would be great too.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2019, 08:41 PM

If the £100k was from his pocket, no issue at all. If it was out of the club, not for me.

Scott Allan Key
13-12-2019, 09:01 PM

On the back of TV revenues from the men's game English clubs can afford to give their women's teams a boost, that most Scottish clubs, including Hibs simply can't afford.

SquashedFrogg
13-12-2019, 09:11 PM
The whole commercial side at Hibs has and is a complete shambles.

It really cannot be said enough,that operation is a total failure.

I really thought RG would have made this his first priority,still waiting.

Please detail how you come this conclusion. Genuinely looking forward to your detailed analysis.

Apologies in advance if your facts and figures are accurate.

Jonnyboy
13-12-2019, 09:13 PM
If the £100k was from his pocket, no issue at all. If it was out of the club, not for me.

That's what I meant. No detriment to the club's finances :agree:

Eyrie
13-12-2019, 09:24 PM
That's what I meant. No detriment to the club's finances :agree:

But that's £100k he could be putting into the men's team! :stirrer:

The effect of that £100k for the ladies team would be transformational and for the men's team negligible.

As regards that £100k coming from Gordon, it doesn't need to. Instead of having no income from the shirt sponsorship, we could get a good sponsor in and use some of that money to invest in keeping our ladies team at the top of the Scottish game, attracting the best young talent and earning fees when the next Harrison or Napier moves south.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2019, 09:27 PM
But that's £100k he could be putting into the men's team! :stirrer:

The effect of that £100k for the ladies team would be transformational and for the men's team negligible.

As regards that £100k coming from Gordon, it doesn't need to. Instead of having no income from the shirt sponsorship, we could get a good sponsor in and use some of that money to invest in keeping our ladies team at the top of the Scottish game, attracting the best young talent and earning fees when the next Harrison or Napier moves south.

It would be his choice what he did with his money, and if the ladies team can get sponsorship for their team, let them go for it.

Bob1875
13-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Hibs men and Hibs ladies are not one club. Hence the reason on Sunday JLN tweeted ‘today is the day and a blue heart, before the OF derby. A hibs player would never do that.

Eyrie
13-12-2019, 09:31 PM
It would be his choice what he did with his money, and if the ladies team can get sponsorship for their team, let them go for it.

Hibs have a marketing department, although based on this season's shirt sponsorship it's not a very good one. But that is who should be arranging a sponsorship deal for the club, or separate deals for our men's and ladies' teams. Negotiating sponsorships is nothing to do with Ross, Scott, Gray or Murray.

I'd say that department is going to be operating very differently once Gordon has finished reviewing how things are currently done.

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 09:47 PM
On the back of TV revenues from the men's game English clubs can afford to give their women's teams a boost, that most Scottish clubs, including Hibs simply can't afford.
Scottish teams can also afford to give their ladies teams a boost, it just won’t be on the same level. Much more money needs to also come from the SFA, they could easily arrange some kind of pooled sponsorship deal that benefits the ladies game. There’s scope for so many things in the ladies game, it just needs the will and the vision.

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Hibs have a marketing department, although based on this season's shirt sponsorship it's not a very good one. But that is who should be arranging a sponsorship deal for the club, or separate deals for our men's and ladies' teams. Negotiating sponsorships is nothing to do with Ross, Scott, Gray or Murray.

I'd say that department is going to be operating very differently once Gordon has finished reviewing how things are currently done.

Not for me, I support Hibernian mens team, not any womens team who may play under our colours. They should be a separate entity who are self funded by their own committee and board.

SquashedFrogg
13-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Marketing department? Are shirt sales down from last season?

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Marketing department? Are shirt sales down from last season?
I don’t know, but the revenue created from the sponsorship on the front of the strip certainly is.

davhibby
13-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Hibs men and Hibs ladies are not one club. Hence the reason on Sunday JLN tweeted ‘today is the day and a blue heart, before the OF derby. A hibs player would never do that.

Or maybe the fact she knew she wasn’t playing for Hibs again played a big part in that.

As an aside, I may have missed this being asked so apologies if it has but does anyone what sort of money would’ve been expected as a transfer fee for her had we been in a position to demand one? Surely the number of players that have moved down south in recent years, some to pretty big teams would have covered a fair chunk of any money that would have to go in to running the team

Brightside
13-12-2019, 10:48 PM

Totally agree. Let them self fund the charity status is killing them.

Brightside
13-12-2019, 10:50 PM
Or maybe the fact she knew she wasn’t playing for Hibs again played a big part in that.

As an aside, I may have missed this being asked so apologies if it has but does anyone what sort of money would’ve been expected as a transfer fee for her had we been in a position to demand one? Surely the number of players that have moved down south in recent years, some to pretty big teams would have covered a fair chunk of any money that would have to go in to running the team

Forza Fred
14-12-2019, 07:38 AM
The funding of women’s teams from general revenue is inevitable.

We can say it’s not on, but in an inclusive society there will be room for women to play as part of our club.

Scotland may be behind most of the world when it comes to acceptance of women’s football and how it is funded as part of a Club,but they will eventually catch up.

That is not a smart erse comment, more an acknowledgement of probably cultural differences.

JimBHibees
14-12-2019, 07:44 AM

Agree totally.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2019, 08:31 AM
The woman should fund their own team, be allowed their own sponsorship etc.

Why should money generated by the men's team go to the woman's one? If they want the game to grow, grow it. Market it, improve it, work at it, like men did 150 years ago. It shouldn't be artificially inflated. Would they be happy with their earnings going to the men's team? Doubt it.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 09:11 AM
If the club actually did get involved it might actually make a difference. Running it via the community foundation is what’s holding it back. That’s and the fact that clearly a lot of people do not want Hibs to fund a female side of the club. Hibs class.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2019, 09:21 AM
If the club actually did get involved it might actually make a difference. Running it via the community foundation is what’s holding it back. That’s and the fact that clearly a lot of people do not want Hibs to fund a female side of the club. Hibs class.

The female team should run off of money it generates, as the male team does

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 09:51 AM
The female team should run off of money it generates, as the male team does

The football club should run teams off the money it generates, as every club does.

Or maybe we should make the development side stand on its own as well. Before Porteous, who was the last player to come through and be a regular starter?

Hibeesmad
14-12-2019, 10:00 AM
The football club should run teams off the money it generates, as every club does.

Or maybe we should make the development side stand on its own as well. Before Porteous, who was the last player to come through and be a regular starter?

Cummings?

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2019, 10:02 AM

The dev team is obviously part of the men's footballing side of the football club.

Why would Hibs invest hundreds of thousands in something that maybe generates tens of thousands?

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 10:14 AM

Every player we try to develop is in the hope that one day that player will be good enough to play for the team i support, we all support.

Not one penny spent towards a womens team will ever do the same. I will ask again, where will this stop, or maybe a better question would be, what would be next?

Fans are spending more than ever now to support their clubs, entrance fee's are not enough these days, there are more and more ways the club want us to contribute towards making the team better, the mens team.

Womens football in England is being inflated by rich clubs who can afford to tick all the boxes from the PC brigade, we as a country are skint, and while i'd imagine nobody has any problems with womens football, in my opinion it needs to fund itself, like the men have since it started.

If big Ron wanted to donate £100k, that would be brilliant, as it would be if anyone here donated money towards it.

I dont spend a penny towards Hibs ladies, but anyone who does, does so because they want to. And that is fine, because that is their choice.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 10:31 AM
The dev team is obviously part of the men's footballing side of the football club.

Why would Hibs invest hundreds of thousands in something that maybe generates tens of thousands?

How much money have hibs made from the money invested in boys football in the last 10 years? Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 10:32 AM
Every player we try to develop is in the hope that one day that player will be good enough to play for the team i support, we all support.

Not one penny spent towards a womens team will ever do the same. I will ask again, where will this stop, or maybe a better question would be, what would be next?

Fans are spending more than ever now to support their clubs, entrance fee's are not enough these days, there are more and more ways the club want us to contribute towards making the team better, the mens team.

Womens football in England is being inflated by rich clubs who can afford to tick all the boxes from the PC brigade, we as a country are skint, and while i'd imagine nobody has any problems with womens football, in my opinion it needs to fund itself, like the men have since it started.

If big Ron wanted to donate £100k, that would be brilliant, as it would be if anyone here donated money towards it.

I dont spend a penny towards Hibs ladies, but anyone who does, does so because they want to. And that is fine, because that is their choice.

Should we stop investing in walking football. Fit fans. Mental health work. Disabled work? Are you happy for part of the clubs funds to go to that?

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 10:38 AM
I think everyone would be happy to see the ladies team flourish but not to any detriment of the mens team. Absolutely no money should be taken out of the mens team to fund the ladies.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2019, 10:40 AM
How much money have hibs made from the money invested in boys football in the last 10 years? Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Well that's a lie. Fletcher made us money in the last 10 years. The contributions of players who have come through that academy in that time have also been extremely important. You think Hanlon and Stevenson haven't contributed enough in that time to make investment worth it. Must be nearly 1000 games. Ryan Porteous alone will make us a very good wedge.

You cannot compare investing in a youth academy to investing in woman's football.

SunshineOnLeith
14-12-2019, 10:42 AM
The best female footballers in Scotland want to play for Hibs and Glasgow precisely because they're not asked to sign professional terms, and so can leave when an opportunity like this comes along.

Most of them are young and doing college/uni etc on the side, they're not going to sign up to earn ten grand a year if it means missing out on an opportunity like Jamie Lee just got because Hibs start asking for a fee.

I'm delighted Hibs are playing such a big role in the development of the women's game, but the reality is that role is as a conveyor belt for talent, rather than a money making exercise.

wallpaperman
14-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Should we stop investing in walking football. Fit fans. Mental health work. Disabled work? Are you happy for part of the clubs funds to go to that?

Very, very good point.

Hopefully all the negative posters here will be consistent and agree that none of ‘their’ money goes to any of these worthwhile community initiatives.

I’ve said it before, but if the club can’t afford to put about 1% of its turnover, which is about what £100k equates to, then it’s a poor show.

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 10:44 AM
The best female footballers in Scotland want to play for Hibs and Glasgow precisely because they're not asked to sign professional terms, and so can leave when an opportunity like this comes along.

Most of them are young and doing college/uni etc on the side, they're not going to sign up to earn ten grand a year if it means missing out on an opportunity like Jamie Lee just got because Hibs start asking for a fee.

I'm delighted Hibs are playing such a big role in the development of the women's game, but the reality is that role is as a conveyor belt for talent, rather than a money making exercise.

Are Celtic now not full time professional? Can see the majority of the best players signing for them if so.

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Very, very good point.

Hopefully all the negative posters here will be consistent and agree that none of ‘their’ money goes to any of these worthwhile community initiatives.

I’ve said it before, but if the club can’t afford to put about 1% of its turnover, which is about what £100k equates to, then it’s a poor show.

£100,000 to a club like Hibs is alot of money. That could easily be the difference between attracting a first team target or not.

SunshineOnLeith
14-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Are Celtic now not full time professional? Can see the majority of the best players signing for them if so.

Full time professional paying buttons, why would you limit your earning potential by signing up to that, rather than stay at Glasgow City or Hibs and doing a law degree at the same time? Then, if you're good enough to get a big offer, nothing standing in your way.

Celtic haven't been able to poach many (any?) notable players from either Glasgow or Hibs.

Hibby Bairn
14-12-2019, 10:50 AM
The contributions of players who have come through that academy in that time have also been extremely important. You think Hanlon and Stevenson haven't contributed enough in that time to make investment worth it. Must be nearly 1000 games.

Never really understood that argument. I just don’t think it stands up. Premiership teams can sign players of the level of Hanlon and Stevenson for wages alone. No transfer fee. Therefore why bother spending years investing in them? On the other hand if they were signed by a team for a fee (eg Brown, O’Connor, Fletcher) then it begins to make sense financially.

John McGinn is an example of a player that will make Hibs several million with zero academy cost.

This is not to say that players like Hanlon and Stevenson haven’t had a fantastic contribution to Hibs in their time here. But then again so have Stokes, Gray, Henderson, McGregor, Logan etc and Hibs investment was nil beyond wages.

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 10:53 AM
This is not difficult, or shouldn't be.
A successful women's team at Hibs will benefit the men's team. Opening access and acceptance of football for girls and women more widely will result in more girls and women wanting to go to Hibs men's games, and more womens game. It is not an either/or situation, which some of the posters on here continually and deliberately refuse to accept. A false dichotomy is sometimes handy if you haven't got a real argument.
If there are let's say ten girls - just ten, who through seeing a pathway to being part of Hibs that is not open to them by sole reason of their gender, get someone to take them to men's games, that is revenue we would not have had for the men's team. They may also go to women's teams games

15 games x 20 people + stuff from the shop and some food? Roughly £10,000 NEW income.

I am baffled how those of the "not a penny on these women" don't see this. In some cases, it is clearly just a thin veil for misogyny. As other posters have said, why not be equally outraged at fit fans, or any other activity that involves minimal outlay for disproportionately positive returns?

Brightside
14-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Well that's a lie. Fletcher made us money in the last 10 years. The contributions of players who have come through that academy in that time have also been extremely important. You think Hanlon and Stevenson haven't contributed enough in that time to make investment worth it. Must be nearly 1000 games. Ryan Porteous alone will make us a very good wedge.

You cannot compare investing in a youth academy to investing in woman's football.

I can. As we have actually invested money in boys football. The club actually make money from girls football. As they all pay for kit and pay subs. The boys side doesn’t.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Celtic Rangers and Hearts will be top 3 in about 2 season. Hibs have lost loads of youth players to hearts in the close season already.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Full time professional paying buttons, why would you limit your earning potential by signing up to that, rather than stay at Glasgow City or Hibs and doing a law degree at the same time? Then, if you're good enough to get a big offer, nothing standing in your way.

Celtic haven't been able to poach many (any?) notable players from either Glasgow or Hibs.
Celtic investment only starts this season. Same with Rangers and Hearts.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Yes, i pay a monthly fee for a gym membership, let them pay subs to pay for it like i do. Disabled fans are welcome at the club, they get a reduced ticket price if they want to attend, mental health work should be done by people qualified to do so, we are a football club?

As i keep asking, and nobody answers, where does this all end, everyone wants a bit of us and it all costs money.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 11:21 AM
£100,000 to a club like Hibs is alot of money. That could easily be the difference between attracting a first team target or not.

When this first started, we were told it would cost nothing, maybe a few strips and some training facilities. Now its contracts, £100k, a squad of players each on £10k a year.

May as well build them their own stadium and training complex.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Yes, i pay a monthly fee for a gym membership, let them pay subs to pay for it like i do. Disabled fans are welcome at the club, they get a reduced ticket price if they want to attend, mental health work should be done by people qualified to do so, we are a football club?

As i keep asking, and nobody answers, where does this all end, everyone wants a bit of us and it all costs money.

You happy for us to pay for Pat to come back as an ambassador

Brightside
14-12-2019, 11:28 AM
When this first started, we were told it would cost nothing, maybe a few strips and some training facilities. Now its contracts, £100k, a squad of players each on £10k a year.

We are doing.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 11:33 AM
You happy for us to pay for Pat to come back as an ambassador

Yes, we can never repay that man back for his contributions to the team.

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Cummings?
Developed through the Hearts youth system. We picked him up after they released him.

You've had to go back a very long way to find examples that justify the cost of running a development side, which proves my point. Think of the players we could have afforded to sign each season between Hanlon and Porteous if we hadn't had the fruitless expense of a development side reducing the budget for the men's first team.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Developed through the Hearts youth system. We picked him up after they released him.

You've had to go back a very long way to find examples that justify the cost of running a development side, which proves my point. Think of the players we could have afforded to sign each season between Hanlon and Porteous if we hadn't had the fruitless expense of a development side reducing the budget for the men's first team.

The development academies in England are another box ticking exercise, they are breeding grounds for the lower leagues.

Very few players come through them and make their way into the Premiership sides, but with the teams swimming in money down there, they can tick another box off along with spending fortunes on womens football.

I'm pretty sure St Johnstone didnt have a development squad recently, has that changed?

The Modfather
14-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Very, very good point.

Would we not be even better giving that £100k, or 1% of turnover, each year to charity? There’s more worthwhile causes than a football team.

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 12:11 PM

What a depressingly miserable view of things.
Your question as to why "I don't get an answer" is that the premise you build up, and the succession of straw men you keep offering, cannot be answered in a way that you will ever find acceptable, but I'll give it a go.
If you view the football club as more than just the first team, but as a society that we choose to belong to with all its history, flaws and divisions then it ends when there is nothing more that can be done within the constraints of its economics for the benefit of that society.
Funding youth, development, community, women's football, the Community Trust all, ultimately, benefits the whole. The overwhelming majority of funds will be spent directly on the first team and the mechanism to support it, which is clearly the right thing to do. Keeping engaged with current and future fans cannot be anything other than the right thing to do.

Specifically relating to women's football, if the club were to choose to not invest in the the fastest growing sport on the planet, that would be not merely odd, but an active dereliction of duty to the future benefit of the men's first team.

neil7908
14-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Yes, we can never repay that man back for his contributions to the team.

But where does it end?

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 12:19 PM
What a depressingly miserable view of things.
Your question as to why "I don't get an answer" is that the premise you build up, and the succession of straw men you keep offering, cannot be answered in a way that you will ever find acceptable, but I'll give it a go.
If you view the football club as more than just the first team, but as a society that we choose to belong to with all its history, flaws and divisions then it ends when there is nothing more that can be done within the constraints of its economics for the benefit of that society.
Funding youth, development, community, women's football, the Community Trust all, ultimately, benefits the whole. The overwhelming majority of funds will be spent directly on the first team and the mechanism to support it, which is clearly the right thing to do. Keeping engaged with current and future fans cannot be anything other than the right thing to do.

Specifically relating to women's football, if the club were to choose to not invest in the the fastest growing sport on the planet, that would be not merely odd, but an active dereliction of duty to the future benefit of the men's first team.

You are easily depressed, :rolleyes: i view Hibs as a mens football club, its as simple as that. If the mens team do well, people are happy and crowds grow. If the womens team won the European Cup, i still wouldnt get off my backside and go watch them.

Some people would, and thats fine, it would then help fund their team and anything associated with them.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 12:22 PM
But where does it end?

Womens football, non gender specific football, Hibs basketball/domino/netball teams, in fact anything that wants to associate themselves with us that requires funding other than self sufficient funding.

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 12:33 PM
You are easily depressed, :rolleyes: i view Hibs as a mens football club, its as simple as that. If the mens team do well, people are happy and crowds grow. If the womens team won the European Cup, i still wouldnt get off my backside and go watch them.

Some people would, and thats fine, it would then help fund their team and anything associated with them.

Spectacularly missing the point, and deliberately so. You answer a point I haven't made. I have zero expectation that you would ever be bothered with women's football, but that is irrelevant. If Hibs Women's team won the European Cup, I suspect they would enjoy better attendances. I am also absolutely positive that the benefit to Hibs mens team would flow through as well for the reasons I made in earlier posts. You can choose to disagree with that but if you do it'd be good to hear your reasoning, rather than "I'll never be interested".

Womens football, non gender specific football, Hibs basketball/domino/netball teams, in fact anything that wants to associate themselves with us that requires funding other than self sufficient funding.

Fairly sure you'd go down this road at some point.
Because Hibs are a Football Club, it's not unreasonable to fund and develop things that are football related,and not fund and develop things that aren't.

(Although in Europe and Scandinavia in particular it is very common for clubs to be multi-sport as well as catering equitably for both genders, and they seem to do all right).

wallpaperman
14-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Would we not be even better giving that £100k, or 1% of turnover, each year to charity? There’s more worthwhile causes than a football team.

I would prefer this relatively small amount is used towards a Hibs related cause, in this case the ladies team.

neil7908
14-12-2019, 12:47 PM

But you've just said your happy for us to pay an ex player to represent us - how does that fit with the above? Surely that has no tangible benefit to the current men's team? Maybe Pat should find his own sponsorship and stop stealing from the men's team budget?

And the where does it end stuff is just silly. It's akin to what folk come out with opposing gay marriage - what next, will I be able to marry my dog?

No one is talking about non binary teams or basketball teams, that's a total straw man.

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 12:56 PM
I would prefer this relatively small amount is used towards a Hibs related cause, in this case the ladies team.

It's not a relatively small amount though. £100,000 is a lot of money to Hibs and could make a difference to our first team squad.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 01:15 PM
But you've just said your happy for us to pay an ex player to represent us - how does that fit with the above? Surely that has no tangible benefit to the current men's team? Maybe Pat should find his own sponsorship and stop stealing from the men's team budget?

And the where does it end stuff is just silly. It's akin to what folk come out with opposing gay marriage - what next, will I be able to marry my dog?

No one is talking about non binary teams or basketball teams, that's a total straw man.

Nobody was talking about funding the womans team when it was started, all they wanted was some strips and somewhere to train now and then.

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 01:20 PM
Nobody was talking about funding the womans team when it was started, all they wanted was some strips and somewhere to train now and then.

And your point is?

calumhibee1
14-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Cummings was also developed through the Hibs youth system. Just because he didn't come through it from under 8s or whatever age it starts at it doesn't mean he didn't. He would never have been able to come from Hutchison Vale under 17s to Hibs first team. He developed at Hibs into a first team player by playing in the Hibs development team.

IMO there shouldn't be a penny put towards the women team from the money generated by the mens team, whether that's shirt sales, sponsors, season tickets, league placings etc. By all means give them a hand with somewhere to train, strips, help them to get their own sponsor etc but they should be a stand alone team.

I also can't see womens football really taking off here in the way it might in some other countries. We've already got a huge percentage of the population - bigger than anywhere else in Europe - that go to mens football in Scotland. I doubt there's enough folk who will have the interest and/or time in following the womens teams on top of following the mens teams and I doubt there's many who only want to exclusively follow the women either.

cabbageandribs1875
14-12-2019, 01:39 PM
i feel for the girls jamie-lee, aby harrison etc etc have left behind, they're not going to win any league winners medal with hibs, as soon as the old firm made their intentions to fund their teams i knew last season was most likely the last chance the hibs girls had to get their hands on some silverware, they couldn't win the league the last decade with just glasgow for competition, next season will be celtic/r angers competing for the top prizes, i think even glasgow will suffer now as well, unfortunately Dr Budge appears to have cottoned on as re womens football.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 01:42 PM

They only recently started getting strips. And that’s only one team. All the other teams still pay for their kit.

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Was anybody talking about player wages, season tickets, shirt sponsorships, all seater stadia, or player of the year dinners in 1875?

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 01:50 PM
It's not a relatively small amount though. £100,000 is a lot of money to Hibs and could make a difference to our first team squad.

Is it?

It's probably one player's wage, and that player's place in the squad would be filled by a good youngster. After all, we're diverting money from the first team to the development squad, so we need to see some benefit to the men's first team from that investment.

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 01:51 PM
Cummings was also developed through the Hibs youth system. Just because he didn't come through it from under 8s or whatever age it starts at it doesn't mean he didn't. He would never have been able to come from Hutchison Vale under 17s to Hibs first team. He developed at Hibs into a first team player by playing in the Hibs development team.

IMO there shouldn't be a penny put towards the women team from the money generated by the mens team, whether that's shirt sales, sponsors, season tickets, league placings etc. By all means give them a hand with somewhere to train, strips, help them to get their own sponsor etc but they should be a stand alone team.

I also can't see womens football really taking off here in the way it might in some other countries. We've already got a huge percentage of the population - bigger than anywhere else in Europe - that go to mens football in Scotland. I doubt there's enough folk who will have the interest and/or time in following the womens teams on top of following the mens teams and I doubt there's many who only want to exclusively follow the women either.

Cummings signed for Hibs when he was about 18. I don't think we can claim he is a product of our youth system.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Was anybody talking about player wages, season tickets, shirt sponsorships, all seater stadia, or player of the year dinners in 1875?

I dont know, were they?

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Is it?

It's probably one player's wage, and that player's place in the squad would be filled by a good youngster. After all, we're diverting money from the first team to the development squad, so we need to see some benefit to the men's first team from that investment.

The market we operate in then yes I'd say it's alot of money. If we target a key signing and we can either offer them an extra £100,000 throughout their contract which would hopefully incentives them to sign or allocate that to the ladies team I know what I would prefer.

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 02:16 PM
I dont know, were they?

So just trolling now then..

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 02:26 PM
So just trolling now then..

:faf: get something back that nobody could possibly know the answer to, and i'm trolling.

hibby rae
14-12-2019, 02:44 PM
Here's a question, you have a daughter, she loves football and loves Hibs. Her dream is to play for them. So you turn round and tell her you don't want her to be given the same opportunities as a man and be paid?

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Here's a question, you have a daughter, she loves football and loves Hibs. Her dream is to play for them. So you turn round and tell her you don't want her to be given the same opportunities as a man and be paid?

I assume this is for me, i'd love it if my daughter was good enough to play professional women's football, why wouldn't any parent want what their children wanted?

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 02:55 PM
:faf: get something back that nobody could possibly know the answer to, and i'm trolling.

Yes. Clearly.
It is generally what you do to on this topic.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Yes. Clearly.
It is generally what you do to on this topic.

Ignore me then. :rolleyes:

hibby rae
14-12-2019, 03:19 PM
I assume this is for me, i'd love it if my daughter was good enough to play professional women's football, why wouldn't any parent want what their children wanted?

Well you and some others, yes. But you would say 'not for Hibs, I support the men's team, I have no interest in watching you play. Even if you won the European Cup.'

Ozymandias
14-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Ignore me then. :rolleyes:

No,I think your point if view is interesting and every bit as valid as mine. Just fundamentally disagree with you.I'd like you to respond to the actual points that people including me have made in response to you rather tha deliberately evade or - what seems to me - troll.

hibby rae
14-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Bit of background which people may not be aware of.

The women's game in this country used to be massive, I'm talking around the 1920s, and thousands attended the games. Then the men's game felt threatened and the clubs and FAs essentially banned it.

blackpoolhibs
14-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Well you and some others, yes. But you would say 'not for Hibs, I support the men's team, I have no interest in watching you play. Even if you won the European Cup.'

I want them to be self sufficient, its not for me but i understand why others might want to watch it.

hibby rae
14-12-2019, 03:42 PM
I want them to be self sufficient, its not for me but i understand why others might want to watch it.

Then give them a leg up. It's growing and will get bigger. To not take the opportunity we have to lead the way is counter productive and short term thinking. It's also the right thing to do.

Hibby Bairn
14-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Cummings signed for Hibs when he was about 18. I don't think we can claim he is a product of our youth system.

Yip. From HV U19s.

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 07:45 PM
I dont know, were they?
Such things were unheard of in 1875, but the Hibs founders would have insisted that you had to be a Catholic to play for us. That got dropped very quickly and for most of our history we've been open to players of all faiths and none. Which proves that times and expectations change.

The market we operate in then yes I'd say it's alot of money. If we target a key signing and we can either offer them an extra £100,000 throughout their contract which would hopefully incentives them to sign or allocate that to the ladies team I know what I would prefer.
It's probably been spent on Josh Vela, James Collins, Rowan Vine ….

I'd could go on but I don't want to ruin anyone's Saturday night more than I already have with those names.

calumhibee1
14-12-2019, 07:48 PM

We developed him into a first team player. We didn’t develop him from a bairn but when he signed for Hibs from a HV youth team he wouldn’t have been first team standard. That in my eyes suggests we had some part in his development into a professional first team footballer.

Brightside
14-12-2019, 07:49 PM
We developed him into a first team player. We didn’t develop him from a bairn but when he signed for Hibs from a HV youth team he wouldn’t have been first team standard. That in my eyes suggests we had some part in his development into a professional first team footballer.

We didn’t. He had a natural ability to score goals. Claiming development is daft.

Sammy7nil
14-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Then give them a leg up. It's growing and will get bigger. To not take the opportunity we have to lead the way is counter productive and short term thinking. It's also the right thing to do.

It has been said before but those who want to fund the ladies team should do show, there could be an option to add £50 to your season ticket to fund them with an opt in or out.

IMHO no money should be diverted from the first team. We as Hibs fans have always been promised jam tomorrow well now is the time to invest in the Hibs men's team.

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 08:05 PM
It has been said before but those who want to fund the ladies team should do show, there could be an option to add £50 to your season ticket to fund them with an opt in or out.

IMHO no money should be diverted from the first team. We as Hibs fans have always been promised jam tomorrow well now is the time to invest in the Hibs men's team.

So let's close down the development team. It's diverting money from the men's team and very rarely provides a regular first team player. Before Porteous you have to go back to Hanlon.

calumhibee1
14-12-2019, 08:06 PM
We didn’t. He had a natural ability to score goals. Claiming development is daft.

It’s really not. So nobody developed him, whether that’s Hearts, HV or Hibs going by that logic as his ability to score goals was natural? Was he first team ready when he arrived from a Hutchison Vale youth team? If he wasn’t then he developed at Hibs into a first team player.

hibby rae
14-12-2019, 08:10 PM

I would be more than happy to top up my season ticket. Only made it to 3 games last season but Hibs Ladies provided a welcome relief from Heckingbottom's Hibs. It's not often you watch Rangers get spanked 8 nil :thumbsup:

As others have said though, investing in the Ladies team will benefit the men's team in the long-term. It will create more support, certainly among children for Hibs and can broaden our fanbase, along with giving the team a higher profile through Champions League appearances, international caps and player sales to teams like Chelsea.

MWHIBBIES
14-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Agreed. And those players could've joined and trained on public parks because we wouldn't have a training centre without selling off players we developed. Don't worry though, we'd still have the old east as well.

The Modfather
14-12-2019, 09:04 PM
I would be more than happy to top up my season ticket. Only made it to 3 games last season but Hibs Ladies provided a welcome relief from Heckingbottom's Hibs. It's not often you watch Rangers get spanked 8 nil :thumbsup:

As others have said though, investing in the Ladies team will benefit the men's team in the long-term. It will create more support, certainly among children for Hibs and can broaden our fanbase, along with giving the team a higher profile through Champions League appearances, international caps and player sales to teams like Chelsea.

Genuine question, has there been any studies done or evidence that a successful women’s team has tangible benefits to the men’s team? There was an article earlier in the year that showed women’s football across Europe (with England the exception, so given our proximity the Scottish ladies game may also buck the trend) that average attendances were actually dropping. We may be at the start of a boom in England & Scotland, but in Europe has the ladies game possibly peaked?

I don’t think it ‘s wrong to prefer Hibs’ mens and womens teams to operate separately and have free reign to grow their own revenue streams and live within their own means. Others can disagree and feel both are part of the same whole. Neither opinion is right or wrong. To answer your question about what if my daughter wanted to play for Hibs ladies. It would be no different to her wanting to take up cricket, darts, gymnastics or any other sport that has no appeal to me. I would support and encourage her and go to watch her because she’s my daughter. I’d also probably give her the same advice that I would if I had a son and he wanted to play for the men’s team. If that’s what you want to do, go for it but don’t put all your eggs in that basket as it’s very difficult to make a sustainable living from football.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/empty-seats-the-worrying-reality-of-womens-football-across-europe/a-48006356

hibby rae
14-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Genuine question, has there been any studies done or evidence that a successful women’s team has tangible benefits to the men’s team? There was an article earlier in the year that showed women’s football across Europe (with England the exception, so given our proximity the Scottish ladies game may also buck the trend) that average attendances were actually dropping. We may be at the start of a boom in England & Scotland, but in Europe has the ladies game possibly peaked?

I don’t think it ‘s wrong to prefer Hibs’ mens and womens teams to operate separately and have free reign to grow their own revenue streams and live within their own means. Others can disagree and feel both are part of the same whole. Neither opinion is right or wrong. To answer your question about what if my daughter wanted to play for Hibs ladies. It would be no different to her wanting to take up cricket, darts, gymnastics or any other sport that has no appeal to me. I would support and encourage her and go to watch her because she’s my daughter. I’d also probably give her the same advice that I would if I had a son and he wanted to play for the men’s team. If that’s what you want to do, go for it but don’t put all your eggs in that basket as it’s very difficult to make a sustainable living from football.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/empty-seats-the-worrying-reality-of-womens-football-across-europe/a-48006356

There may well be, I'll do some digging to see. My experience is it definitely results in an increased interest from girls. That's an interesting article but it is worth noting it was written pre-World Cup, with the Euros in 2021 being in England there is also a great opportunity to continue the progress made by participation in the World Cup by Scotland. They are group favourites although do have yet to play Finland and Portugal and they could be tough games.

I agree about not putting your eggs in one basket and I think it's really important girls are given the same opportunities as boys. Obviously becoming a footballer at a top club is very difficult to achieve, so why make it harder for them to continue to play once they do so?

Hibs are in a great position to attract the best talent in Scotland. The academy is based in Edinburgh and the city itself can attract people. Much like Edinburgh City, who I'm sure I heard have the smallest average attendance in the SPFL, but they do well in the league as Edinburgh is attractive to players.

On the subject of attendances. I'd say they are going up, obviously when there is more at stake more will go e.g. the last final, Champions League and Hearts had a big crowd when they got promoted. But once someone goes, sees the team play well, and they play a great brand of attacking football and play with real flair, I'd say they are likely to go up. I'd say there are other countries doing well, Italy wasn't mentioned in the article but it's long ago that Juventus v Fiorentina had in excess of 30,000 at the game.

Sammy7nil
14-12-2019, 09:21 PM
So let's close down the development team. It's diverting money from the men's team and very rarely provides a regular first team player. Before Porteous you have to go back to Hanlon.

There is certainly a strong argument for doing that. St Johnstone did well for a number of years spending hee haw on youth development.

SquashedFrogg
14-12-2019, 09:27 PM
I don’t know, but the revenue created from the sponsorship on the front of the strip certainly is.

So it's not poor marketing then. It's a commercial decision. Not poor marketing, as was the initial made up point.

Eyrie
14-12-2019, 09:30 PM
So it's not poor marketing then. It's a commercial decision. Not poor marketing, as was the initial made up point.

Scenario 1 - Hibs made a conscious decision not to seek a shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

Scenario 2 - Hibs marketing department failed to find a suitable shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

I find scenario 2 more plausible, so it's hardly made up.

SquashedFrogg
14-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Scenario 1 - Hibs made a conscious decision not to seek a shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

Scenario 2 - Hibs marketing department failed to find a suitable shirt sponsor, thus depriving the club of revenue to invest in the men's first team.

I find scenario 2 more plausible, so it's hardly made up.

I'm not really sure what you're saying? Of course scenario 1 isn't remotely true. Why would the club not seek a shirt sponsor?

The point I initially replied to was about Hibs having poor narketing. My point was that it was a commercial decision, not a marketing failure.

Genuinely confused

Purple & Green
14-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Call it the Falkirk model.

By my counting, there were five academy graduates in the 18 last week.

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2019, 11:04 AM
There is an argument for not having a youth development system, but if we are to carry on having one and there has been no talk of not, at least they do come through and play for us.

Purple and green says 5 were in the squad last week, not a bad average i'd say.

Peevemor
15-12-2019, 11:37 AM
There is an argument for not having a youth development system, but if we are to carry on having one and there has been no talk of not, at least they do come through and play for us.

Purple and green says 5 were in the squad last week, not a bad average i'd say.Stevenson, Hanlon, Porteous, Murray & Shaw?

blackpoolhibs
15-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Stevenson, Hanlon, Porteous, Murray & Shaw?

I dont know, i have not checked, just quoting another poster.

Eyrie
15-12-2019, 12:15 PM

How long have Stevenson and Hanlon been around for?

Murray and Shaw are simply the latest fringe players. Scrap the development team and we could pick up the equivalent from another team without wasting money.

Purple & Green
15-12-2019, 12:17 PM

Yes indeed.

Stevenson and Hanlon are interesting - very unusual in this day and age to have 2 players with 10 plus years from the academy.

There's a paradox though - every time those two are selected, there's two less places for academy players.

Purple & Green
15-12-2019, 12:27 PM

Murray and Shaw are simply the latest fringe players. Scrap the development team and we could pick up the equivalent from another team without wasting money.

You can play 11 players at a time, so there will always be fringe players. Falkirk believed the could scrap the development team and pick up equivalent players, and it's been a disaster for them. I think one of the issues that they have is they brought in a lot of players with no affinity or understanding of the club, guys just looking for a full time job when they were released from their previous club.

We're bringing in money from development fees all the time, and my understanding is that a large part of of our academy is funded through project brave - funding we would lose if we scrapped it.

I think the answer, is to improve the development, and have better players coming through - and my belief is that is what the club is doing - measuring performance and trying to improve all the time. Unfortunately that doesn't happen overnight, but there is a possibility that we might be having this same discussion in one or two years time.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2019, 12:41 PM

If everybody scrapped their development teams, where would players come through? Few players make it out of the academy at their own club, but go on to have careers elsewhere. We’ve had benefit of the Celtic academy and St Mirren academies in recent years for example.

Much better spending my season ticket money on something that I might see on a Saturday as opposed to the women, who I’ll never see.

davhibby
16-12-2019, 11:37 AM
I see that the manager has resigned

cabbageandribs1875
16-12-2019, 11:45 AM
shame, but unless you're a coach of sellick/sevco starting next season you're always going to lose your better players...for nowt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50802273

Grant Scott has resigned as head coach of Hibernian Ladies after becoming increasingly frustrated at the failure to affiliate the team more directly with the Easter Road club.

hibby rae
16-12-2019, 11:45 AM
I see that the manager has resigned

I can see why he'll feel frustrated. Hibs are failing the women right now and wasting the opportunity they have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50802273

Barman Stanton
16-12-2019, 12:01 PM
You would think by reading this that the Hibs ladies team are incredibly popular. Yet what is their average crowd? Is it not normally less than 1000? I dont know for sure as I dont know any Hibs fans that go to watch them.

It seems to upset some on here, but I too would rather NO funds from Hibs finds itself to the ladies team. Its nice to hear they do well, but really thats where my interest ends. Which looks to be the case for 99% as well, or they would be self sufficient and this discussion wouldn't be a thing.

And Im amazed some seem to think investing in a separate Woman's entity is the same in having development / boys teams which are there to benefit the first team.

Brightside
16-12-2019, 12:05 PM
You would think by reading this that the Hibs ladies team are incredibly popular. Yet what is their average crowd? Is it not normally less than 1000? I dont know for sure as I dont know any Hibs fans that go to watch them.

It seems to upset some on here, but I too would rather NO funds from Hibs finds itself to the ladies team. Its nice to hear they do well, but really thats where my interest ends. Which looks to be the case for 99% as well, or they would be self sufficient and this discussion wouldn't be a thing.

And Im amazed some seem to think investing in a separate Woman's entity is the same in having development / boys teams which are there to benefit the first team.

How many players have we taken from the boys side and made any money on. If they are totally unwilling to invest then just come out and says thats a policy and let the club go and do its own thing.

Barman Stanton
16-12-2019, 12:13 PM
How many players have we taken from the boys side and made any money on. If they are totally unwilling to invest then just come out and says thats a policy and let the club go and do its own thing.

Doesn't matter how many. That's a whole other discussion on if we have the right staff / techniques etc. But the whole point is that the system is there to find Hibs players. Its there to benefit the team. Putting money into the ladies team does not do that.

End of the day, Hibs ladies are one of the most successful teams in the country. Winning cups every year. And no one goes to watch them. Looking at this thread you would think there would be queues round the block to watch the team. But the interest is just not there.

calumhibee1
16-12-2019, 05:32 PM

:agree:

Nice thought that they could be full time, funded by the men’s team etc but it’s just not feasible really. In an ideal world we could pump loads of money in and make them full time, best in Scotland, competitive in Europe etc but the club simply doesn’t have the money to be throwing at something which will provide a return nowhere near what they’d need to put in.