PDA

View Full Version : You couldn't write it!

St.Kristopher
11-12-2019, 10:36 PM
I've been trying to get time to write this up since the weekend but not had a chance. It's a bit of a long read but it was a very special Hibs experience that I thought I would share...

Last week I took my boy to his first home match when Kilmarnock came to town, I did a wee write up of it in ’The First Time’ thread. Well, there's an update, my wee man's introduction to Hibs just got even better...

It a started with a rolled-up pair of socks. My son decided we were going to play football with a pair of socks as the ball, the door to his room was his goal and the bathroom was my goal. He announced he was Boyle, I had no idea he had remembered his name from the game. He asked me who I was, I said Mallan (I panicked).

So the game kicked off and I soon learned to win you needed to get to 10 goals. At 6-0 down, Mallan came back into the game and in quick succession scored 4 amazing free kicks (that I may have over celebrated). Though quickly Boyle got 2 more...at 8-4 down the game looked to be going to be called off, the ref told us it was time up (Dinner!!!), though we were granted a period of extra time. Just enough time for Boyle to win 10-6.

At dinner, all he wanted to talk about was Hibs and specifically Boyle. So I showed him a few of his goals, interviews and some of the wee funny clips he has been involved in. One of which was a recent one from HTC where Boyle quotes wrestler Chris Jerrico in saying ”a little bit of the bubbly” to a camera, he found this hilarious. I was delighted at his excitement.

It was all going so well then he drops the bombshell, ”Daddy can you call him, I want to tell him he is my favourite player”. How do I explain to him I don't have his number? Though he was persistent, so I racked my brains.

I suggested twitter (”what's twitter?”). He's been used to sending wee video messages to friends, so he seemed happy to give it a go. He did a sweet we bit about how Boyle was his favourite player, then comes out with ”Oooo a bit of the bubbly!” gave me a giggle. We uploaded and really I didn't expect anything, maybe a wee like or an acknowledgement from Boyle, at best.

What we got was so unexpected and a bit surreal really. After I got him to sleep, Boyle responded saying thanks for being a fan and offered him 2 tickets to the Aberdeen game with players lounge access. I was gobsmacked and in the morning my boy was bouncing, although I’m not sure he fully understood.

When Saturday came, he was so excited it was difficult to contain him. Reading this you will know what happened in the game, though before I was not confident about the result and had no idea if Boyle would play let alone start. So I was doing lots of damage limitation and expectation reduction.

So when we saw him start, play so well, score twice and win 3-0, I couldn't believe it. I got multiple messages from people who knew we were there saying ”you couldn't write it!” they are correct, though I'm going my best.

After the game, we bounced our way to the player's lounge and one by one, saw most of the players. They were great with him signing his program and posing for photos. Though there was no Boyle and as people began to leave I had to try and explain, we may not see him...not easy.

Just then, a man taps me on my shoulder and introduced himself as Martins Dad, he explained due to his man of the match performance, he was currently doing press, that he would also have to do an interview for corporate. Though his Dad said Martin wanted to meet my son...wow!

Not long after my son shouts Boyle, there he was, but he was ushered into corporate. Martins Dad told us to follow and sneak in at the back, so we both got to listen to his interview.

Then after a wee wait, Martin came out and spent some time with my son, told him he was his lucky mascot and must now come every week.

Finally, he walked my boy out the ground, shook his hand, said he would look out for his name on the team sheet in the future and told him to ”stay away from the bubbly!!!”.

As we headed to the car with my him on my shoulders, I think we both floated.

Memories made...thank you Martin Boyle...thank you Hibernian GGTTH!!!

PatHead
11-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing it.

TimeForHeroes16
11-12-2019, 10:45 PM
Absolutely magical mate!! I've got a 6 year old son nearly had a tear in my eye. Total hibs class and beautiful wee read before I hit the hay.

He's a star man playing on the right:flag:

#2 Double Tap
11-12-2019, 10:47 PM
excellent!!!!

Alan62
11-12-2019, 10:50 PM
Class. Martin seems like a great lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
11-12-2019, 10:53 PM
That's absolutely brilliant :flag:

jacomo
11-12-2019, 11:06 PM
This story is absolutely joyous.

matty_f
11-12-2019, 11:08 PM
This story is absolutely joyous.

It's amazing, eh?

Well played Squirrel!!

CloudSquall
11-12-2019, 11:18 PM
When people doubt there is such a thing as Hibs class, it's threads like this one that confirm it's existence :agree:

houstonhibbee
11-12-2019, 11:20 PM
I've been trying to get time to write this up since the weekend but not had a chance. It's a bit of a long read but it was a very special Hibs experience that I thought I would share...

Last week I took my boy to his first home match when Kilmarnock came to town, I did a wee write up of it in ’The First Time’ thread. Well, there's an update, my wee man's introduction to Hibs just got even better...

It a started with a rolled-up pair of socks. My son decided we were going to play football with a pair of socks as the ball, the door to his room was his goal and the bathroom was my goal. He announced he was Boyle, I had no idea he had remembered his name from the game. He asked me who I was, I said Mallan (I panicked).

So the game kicked off and I soon learned to win you needed to get to 10 goals. At 6-0 down, Mallan came back into the game and in quick succession scored 4 amazing free kicks (that I may have over celebrated). Though quickly Boyle got 2 more...at 8-4 down the game looked to be going to be called off, the ref told us it was time up (Dinner!!!), though we were granted a period of extra time. Just enough time for Boyle to win 10-6.

At dinner, all he wanted to talk about was Hibs and specifically Boyle. So I showed him a few of his goals, interviews and some of the wee funny clips he has been involved in. One of which was a recent one from HTC where Boyle quotes wrestler Chris Jerrico in saying ”a little bit of the bubbly” to a camera, he found this hilarious. I was delighted at his excitement.

It was all going so well then he drops the bombshell, ”Daddy can you call him, I want to tell him he is my favourite player”. How do I explain to him I don't have his number? Though he was persistent, so I racked my brains.

I suggested twitter (”what's twitter?”). He's been used to sending wee video messages to friends, so he seemed happy to give it a go. He did a sweet we bit about how Boyle was his favourite player, then comes out with ”Oooo a bit of the bubbly!” gave me a giggle. We uploaded and really I didn't expect anything, maybe a wee like or an acknowledgement from Boyle, at best.

What we got was so unexpected and a bit surreal really. After I got him to sleep, Boyle responded saying thanks for being a fan and offered him 2 tickets to the Aberdeen game with players lounge access. I was gobsmacked and in the morning my boy was bouncing, although I’m not sure he fully understood.

When Saturday came, he was so excited it was difficult to contain him. Reading this you will know what happened in the game, though before I was not confident about the result and had no idea if Boyle would play let alone start. So I was doing lots of damage limitation and expectation reduction.

So when we saw him start, play so well, score twice and win 3-0, I couldn't believe it. I got multiple messages from people who knew we were there saying ”you couldn't write it!” they are correct, though I'm going my best.

After the game, we bounced our way to the player's lounge and one by one, saw most of the players. They were great with him signing his program and posing for photos. Though there was no Boyle and as people began to leave I had to try and explain, we may not see him...not easy.

Just then, a man taps me on my shoulder and introduced himself as Martins Dad, he explained due to his man of the match performance, he was currently doing press, that he would also have to do an interview for corporate. Though his Dad said Martin wanted to meet my son...wow!

Not long after my son shouts Boyle, there he was, but he was ushered into corporate. Martins Dad told us to follow and sneak in at the back, so we both got to listen to his interview.

Then after a wee wait, Martin came out and spent some time with my son, told him he was his lucky mascot and must now come every week.

Finally, he walked my boy out the ground, shook his hand, said he would look out for his name on the team sheet in the future and told him to ”stay away from the bubbly!!!”.

Wonderful story, beautifully written....

Kaff
11-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Great stuff.
In this cynical world of professional football there are great characters and thankfully the Hibs squad is full of them at the moment. It wasn't that long ago we were struggling for these men and it was a poor decline that resulted from that.
The turning point for me was David Gray (Stubbs obviously but he wasn't a player) seen him at close quarters and just seemed right at the signing session in club store and then separately how he interacted with the club staff in ticket office. True leader and if he never plays another game his 4 yr deal will still be worth every penny imo.
I believe McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson are the same but haven't seen them close up the same but that's the decency that operates as the standard and long may it continue.
Tell young McVey that Boyler is our favourite too! Star Man!!

Vault Boy
11-12-2019, 11:57 PM
Lovely story McVey, so glad your son has such a great formative experience of Hibs.

Fair play to Boyler, always comes across like a genuinely good guy and someone who totally loves the club.

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 12:41 AM

Glad you cleared that up for me from the original thread.
Gettin' auld.

Great story

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 01:11 AM
Great stuff.
In this cynical world of professional football there are great characters and thankfully the Hibs squad is full of them at the moment. It wasn't that long ago we were struggling for these men and it was a poor decline that resulted from that.
The turning point for me was David Gray (Stubbs obviously but he wasn't a player) seen him at close quarters and just seemed right at the signing session in club store and then separately how he interacted with the club staff in ticket office. True leader and if he never plays another game his 4 yr deal will still be worth every penny imo.
I believe McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson are the same but haven't seen them close up the same but that's the decency that operates as the standard and long may it continue.
Tell young McVey that Boyler is our favourite too! Star Man!!

Darren McGregor is always top notch. The epitime of the guy you want representing your club.
My wife and daughter met him a couple of times, had a short chat and were smitten (as were a lot of other women present). Neither even like football!!!
Had their photo's taken with him which is unprecedented for my daughter who wouldnae have her photo taken with bloody Elmo in Orlando not many years before.

Daughter, now a law student and still not interested in football, but has a Darren McGregor fridge magnet and a Hibs strip and asks me how Darren's injury is progressing. Has done stuff with the Hibs community foundation and no longer thinks all footballers are necessarily cretins. Sadly her impressions of my efforts in life remain at the same low level as pre Darren. Hey ho.
Shows what a difference top guys like him make to the image of Hibs by being patient, tolerant and ALWAYS making a real effort with people they meet.

Stantons Angel
12-12-2019, 01:42 AM
im sitting here at 2.30am reading this wonderful wee story and envisaging your wee lads face as all this was happening.
The football game with the socks rolled up was a typical childhood way of expressing him self and his love for his team.

Martin loves Hibs and he is the type of player along with the others you mention that we need to keep here to remind the young players that come and go, just what it means to wear and play in that jersey.

To know how that felt for the wee man must be so special for you as a dad. it made me think of my son at that cup final and his emotional outpouring when we won the cup. His dad wasnt with him but he acknowledged how proud he was that we had shared the moment together. I will never forget how it felt to hear him say this.

These are memories no one can take away from them and im so glad that both of you had a chance to share that together.

Well done Martin and Hibs for making this memory for you both.

FilipinoHibs
12-12-2019, 01:47 AM
Hibs class, Martin class.

Forza Fred
12-12-2019, 02:44 AM
Martin is a credit to Hibs ....and the Socceroos!

Goodonya Digger!

Sir David Gray
12-12-2019, 05:13 AM
Fantastic story and well done Martin Boyle, top man (or should that be star man?).

chasitup
12-12-2019, 05:43 AM
That's such a brilliant wee story, and I can imagine how your boy felt. Incredible stuff.

Niffy
12-12-2019, 05:51 AM
I ken his dad.
We had our teen years in Dunbar together.

mjhibby
12-12-2019, 05:52 AM
Just fantastic. Boyler sounds like a great guy. Unforgettable memories.

Craig_in_Prague
12-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Lovely story and well done to Boyle!💚

I'll be taking my boy around spring, to his 1st ever Hibs game and hope its half as special as the day your boy had.

CentreLine
12-12-2019, 07:42 AM
Sitting at Prague Airport waiting fir a flight home and trying to pretend my eyes are itchy to cover up my reaction to this great story and I imagine the wee man will remember it all his life. We follow a fantastic club and Boyler is a credit to Hibernian FC

I imagine most of us remember large parts of our first ever game at Easter Road, I certainly remember the excitement it gave the seven year old me in 1966. I may not by all of this right but my memory is that we were home to Kilmarnock and my older cousin was taking my brother and me to our first game. People were still carrying those wooden rattles that made such a great sound. We had been kitted our in hat and scarves and arrived early to avoid the queues. There were stalls where we each got a Hibs rosette to wear, green and white stiff paper with a little silver plastics player in the centre. Then of course a programme each with the teams shown in the centre pages. I do wish I had held on to these things now.
We were taken right down to the wall at the Centre Line (hence my forum name) and the players looked like giants as they took to the field in their beautifully pressed and ironed cotton shirts and shirts. Full change at half tome too.
Marshall, Duncan, Davis(captain), Stanton, Madson, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stephenson. No subs, that would come following season when Allan Cousins played that role.
Like your boy I immediately had a favourite as Peter Cormack strutted his stuff with his shirt just pulled out from one side of his shorts. Mind you, Eric Stevenson was a close second, juggling and balancing the ball in his warm up, keepie uppie then balancing the ball on his head and neck.
As the game unfolded we could buy things like Wrigley's spearmint gum, kitkats and cartons of orange juice from the boys parading round the trackside with their trays of tooth decay.
Plenty of goals in a 3-3 draw and we went home captivated. I think my brother and I finished the day with a game of crab football in the bedroom corridor with my parents bedroom door and the end of the passage as goals. My brother will always tell you he won but .........we’ll that’s not how I remember it.

I wish you and your son many happy years of watching our great team and many many happy memories past and to come.

Hibbyradge
12-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Lovely, touching story.

Hard to believe Mallan scored 6 in one game, though!

rotherhamrob
12-12-2019, 08:20 AM
That's brilliant and a wonderful memory you'll both have for life.

BILLYHIBS
12-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Sitting at Prague Airport waiting fir a flight home and trying to pretend my eyes are itchy to cover up my reaction to this great story and I imagine the wee man will remember it all his life. We follow a fantastic club and Boyler is a credit to Hibernian FC

I imagine most of us remember large parts of our first ever game at Easter Road, I certainly remember the excitement it gave the seven year old me in 1966. I may not by all of this right but my memory is that we were home to Kilmarnock and my older cousin was taking my brother and me to our first game. People were still carrying those wooden rattles that made such a great sound. We had been kitted our in hat and scarves and arrived early to avoid the queues. There were stalls where we each got a Hibs rosette to wear, green and white stiff paper with a little silver plastics player in the centre. Then of course a programme each with the teams shown in the centre pages. I do wish I had held on to these things now.
We were taken right down to the wall at the Centre Line (hence my forum name) and the players looked like giants as they took to the field in their beautifully pressed and ironed cotton shirts and shirts. Full change at half tome too.
Marshall, Duncan, Davis(captain), Stanton, Madson, McGraw, Scott, Quinn, Stein, Cormack and Stephenson. No subs, that would come following season when Allan Cousins played that role.
Like your boy I immediately had a favourite as Peter Cormack strutted his stuff with his shirt just pulled out from one side of his shorts. Mind you, Eric Stevenson was a close second, juggling and balancing the ball in his warm up, keepie uppie then balancing the ball on his head and neck.
As the game unfolded we could buy things like Wrigley's spearmint gum, kitkats and cartons of orange juice from the boys parading round the trackside with their trays of tooth decay.
Plenty of goals in a 3-3 draw and we went home captivated. I think my brother and I finished the day with a game of crab football in the bedroom corridor with my parents bedroom door and the end of the passage as goals. My brother will always tell you he won but .........we’ll that’s not how I remember it.

I wish you and your son many happy years of watching our great team and many many happy memories past and to come.

:top marks

Brilliant!

Brought back memories of the smell o baccy short back and sides and the sheer vastness of the old stadium

:top marks

To the OP

Hibs Class!

:not worth

Hibbyradge
12-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Erra macaroon bars.

Erra cheesettes.

CentreLine
12-12-2019, 08:27 AM
Erra macaroon bars.

Erra cheesettes.

👍🏻🤣
In fifty/sixty years time I imagine the young McVey regaling his own children with his story and proud dad/grandad beaming in the background, no longer able to get those Mallan legs to kick a bundle of socks but very happy.

PeeJay
12-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Nice story McVey - just when I thought I couldn't get that election thing out of my mind, you succeeded with your story (for a few minutes anyway) ...:greengrin

worcesterhibby
12-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Great story, Tell your lad that all the best supporters have Kilmarnock at ER as their first game. Mine was in 1979, a 1-1 draw that my Granda took me too. Ally McLeod scored a lovely volley from the edge of the box to equalise. Now there was a player, I always think of him as the Hibs Le Tissier :greengrin

brog
12-12-2019, 08:46 AM
Just wonderful, thanks for taking the time to share.

Hibbyradge
12-12-2019, 10:14 AM

What year was that?

I think my first game was a 3-3 draw with Killie, but iirc, it was a night game in the very early 70's.

Onceinawhile
12-12-2019, 10:43 AM
I think the important thing I've taken from this, is knowing that Boyler is a massive AEW mark.

Persevere80
12-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Hibs class...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
12-12-2019, 10:53 AM
That's a great story.

It's easy to forget that footballers are just ordinary guys who have good and bad days. When you read stories like this or see the pictures of the squad visiting the Sick Kids you remember their positive impact stretches way beyond a football pitch.

CraigHibee
12-12-2019, 12:06 PM
that's amazing mate :) i bet the wee lad was over the moon after that, always good to hear of things like this :aok:

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Lovely story. Full credit to Martin Boyle for being a decent human being. Thanks for sharing.

Sudds_1
12-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Aw thats a brilliant story!! 🥰🥰 i actially saw squirrel with his wife and bairn in costas on friday afternoon. Gave him a wee wave and got the thumbs up from him from afar. Disnae want to pester him for a selfie....wish i had now!!

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Aw thats a brilliant story!! 🥰🥰 i actially saw squirrel with his wife and bairn in costas on friday afternoon. Gave him a wee wave and got the thumbs up from him from afar. Disnae want to pester him for a selfie....wish i had now!!

Nah, when folk are with their families they deserve a wee bit privacy and respect. A wave is sufficent:aok:

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Fantastic, absolute class.

JimBHibees
12-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Brilliant story thanks for sharing. Just goes to show how much an impact can be made by a footballer taking a bit of interest in a young fan.

thebakerboy
12-12-2019, 02:57 PM
I think there have always been players like that at Hibs. When I was a laddie my mate used to be one of the guys selling the macaroon bars etc from his tray round the track. We used to meet up at the players entrance after the game just before the players came out. Joe Baker was our hero and always spoke after games , then after a famous European game came out and handed us badges from Roma football club that he got for us when he played there. he did that for several games for us and it was just brilliant , still my favourite all time Hibby and I have been going to ER since 1952. Great to know we still have players like that.

St.Kristopher
12-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Thanks for reading guys. I had a wee idea to do a wee write up of our Hibernian experiences and give it to him when he is older. I will print out and stick my bit into a book and maybe a print out stick in one of Jonnyboys posts plus tickets etc. So these have been for us in the main... Though I thought the first two experience seemed to be good enough to share. So thanks for looking in, it's been nice reading the responses.

By the way as I write this(one week to the day), he is just out his bath and has now convinced my wife (not interested in football-though was taken in by all this) to play sock football. She is doing a great job though I'm not sure who Scott Mallan is?

I've a feeling she may need to start coming along, on my boy's orders!

#weregonnaneedabiggerboat

murray26
12-12-2019, 05:56 PM

What a amazing story.. this is what football is all about.. we’ll done mr Boyle.. class act.

CentreLine
12-12-2019, 06:28 PM
What year was that?

I think my first game was a 3-3 draw with Killie, but iirc, it was a night game in the very early 70's.

3pm Saturday and played on a glorious day 1966

Power
12-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Immense. Stars aligning massively and then some. First thing I thought of when he scored the first on Saturday.

Part of my December update later this month is the club and players to continue deepening links and relationships with the support and this type of player engagement (which they all do a lot but never shouted about) is exactly that.

This is what it feels like to be Hibs ✅