PDA

View Full Version : Aiden McGeady

Pages : [1] 2

Smartie
11-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Rumours that he’s had his contract torn up at Sunderland.

Played very well there under Jack Ross and has lost his way again under Parkinson.

There was a rumour a few weeks ago of Jack Ross wanting to sign a fairly high profile player.

Thoughts?

calumhibee1
11-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Played very well there under Jack Ross and gas list his way again under Parkinson.

There was a rumour a few weeks ago of Jack Ross wanting to sign a fairly high profile player.

Thoughts?

Haven’t saw him play in years so couldn’t say either way. Was an outstanding player at one point though. If he was still any good then him on the left and Boyle on the right could be very exciting.

Northernhibee
11-12-2019, 10:23 AM
McGeady and Boyle? Could be a great combination.

Speedway
11-12-2019, 10:24 AM
He's 107 years old. Plays at league 1 level and would presumably be expensive.

I'll file that under 'nah'.

The Modfather
11-12-2019, 10:24 AM

Played very well there under Jack Ross and gas list his way again under Parkinson.

Thoughts?

Not for me. I’d rather we were looking for players on the way up rather than short term signings who are on the way down.

bingo70
11-12-2019, 10:30 AM
I don’t like signing old wingers.

I don’t mind old centre half’s, midfielders or strikers but wingers are a young mans game IMO.

If he does sign I’ll back track and think he’s the greatest signing ever but I’d have my concerns.

lyonhibs
11-12-2019, 10:36 AM

I don’t mind old centre half’s, midfielders or strikers but wingers are a young mans game IMO.

If he does sign I’ll back track and think he’s the greatest signing ever but I’d have my concerns.

Like Sir Stanley Matthews, "The Wizard of the Dribble" or Joaquin, who's just banged in a La Liga hat trick at the age of 38?

Not putting McGeady in the same calibre as those 2 obviously, but the position of "winger" isn't uniquely a young man's game IMO. McGeady has always been about close control and quick feet as opposed to raw, raw pace in any case.

I highly doubt we could afford him right enough, but he could be a great signing if we did IMO.

Ozyhibby
11-12-2019, 10:57 AM
We don’t need him. Going forward we are pretty strong although we need another centre forward. Budget needs spent in defence and another holding mid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steven79
11-12-2019, 10:58 AM

And how would Allan fit in if we have played with those two?

Northernhibee
11-12-2019, 11:03 AM

It's a nice problem to have, we can't not sign quality because Scott Allan.

hibbyfraelibby
11-12-2019, 11:04 AM
If we sign anyone from Sunderland he should be called Dylan

bingo70
11-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Like Sir Stanley Matthews, "The Wizard of the Dribble" or Joaquin, who's just banged in a La Liga hat trick at the age of 38?

Not putting McGeady in the same calibre as those 2 obviously, but the position of "winger" isn't uniquely a young man's game IMO. McGeady has always been about close control and quick feet as opposed to raw, raw pace in any case.

I highly doubt we could afford him right enough, but he could be a great signing if we did IMO.

Any other examples of wingers a bit closer to home or younger than Stanley Matthews?

I’m sure there’ll be some but I can’t think of many.

highland hibbee
11-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Any other examples of wingers a bit closer to home or younger than Stanley Matthews?

Davie Cooper was 33+ when he went to Motherwell. Same age as Aiden Mcgeady is now. Not many would say his age held him back at Motherwell.

Unseen work
11-12-2019, 11:16 AM
If we can afford him then sign him, 100%.

calumhibee1
11-12-2019, 11:18 AM

A 4-2-3-1 would be perfect for those 3. It would be fitting in the others that would be the issue if you went down that route though.

easty
11-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Davie Cooper was 33+ when he went to Motherwell. Same age as Aiden Mcgeady is now. Not many would say his age held him back at Motherwell.

Surely this is like saying we'd be ok signing Lee Miller or Steven MacLean, cos Zlatan can still do it at 38...

easty
11-12-2019, 11:20 AM
I've never liked Aiden McGeady. I don't like his face. He looked a wee prick when he was at Celtc, he looks basically exactly the same now.

Back when he was good I would still have taken him for Hibs though. Now though? Nah. He's done.

highland hibbee
11-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Surely this is like saying we'd be ok signing Lee Miller or Steven MacLean, cos Zlatan can still do it at 38...

im not saying that. I’m not saying we should sign him. Just giving the poster I replied to an example of someone of similar age closer to home.

jacomo
11-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Why have just one traitorous winger when you can have two?

:wink:

jacomo
11-12-2019, 11:28 AM
We don’t need him. Going forward we are pretty strong although we need another centre forward. Budget needs spent in defence and another holding mid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGeady for Middleton would strengthen us right now I think.

bingo70
11-12-2019, 11:30 AM
im not saying that. I’m not saying we should sign him. Just giving the poster I replied to an example of someone of similar age closer to home.

The fact you’re going back to Davie Cooper and the previous poster used Stanley Matthews kinds of backs up my point rather than argues against it.

There will be exceptions to this and I’m sure someone will come along shortly and give me a more recent example in the Spfl but I think they’re pretty few and far between.

Wedge
11-12-2019, 11:48 AM
The fact you’re going back to Davie Cooper and the previous poster used Stanley Matthews kinds of backs up my point rather than argues against it.

There will be exceptions to this and I’m sure someone will come along shortly and give me a more recent example in the Spfl but I think they’re pretty few and far between.

Chris Burke?

Hibernian Verse
11-12-2019, 11:50 AM
Chris Burke has done well at Killie, don't see why McGeady couldn't do the same for us.

bingo70
11-12-2019, 11:51 AM
Chris Burke?

Yeah, fair point.

Probably a bit more relevant than Stanley Matthews and Davie Cooper as well 😉

(There’ll be hundreds of recent examples listed now and that’ll be my punishment for being a smart arse 😂)

Pagan Hibernia
11-12-2019, 11:54 AM

ryan giggs

Smartie
11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Robben and Ribery played well for Bayern to a decent age.

bingo70
11-12-2019, 11:56 AM
ryan giggs

I think Chris Burke is a better example than him for wingers at our level that have done well after being signed in their 30’s 😉

Since452
11-12-2019, 12:18 PM
I'd take him

MrRobot
11-12-2019, 12:21 PM
If we sign anyone from Sunderland he should be called Dylan

:agree:

Hibiza
11-12-2019, 12:23 PM
Not for me. I’d rather we were looking for players on the way up rather than short term signings who are on the way down. spot on.

Since452
11-12-2019, 12:26 PM
McGeady was a standout for Sunderland last season but looks to have had a dip in form since Ross left. Would definitely add to the squad and like another poster said I'd swap him for Middleton

Tyler Durden
11-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Would rather play Fraser Murray. We already have Horgan, Murray and Newell who won’t necessarily make the first team. Never mind Middleton.

We don’t need McGeady who isn’t any better IMO

Dashing Bob S
11-12-2019, 12:58 PM
I've never liked Aiden McGeady. I don't like his face. He looked a wee prick when he was at Celtc, he looks basically exactly the same now.

Back when he was good I would still have taken him for Hibs though. Now though? Nah. He's done.

Would love to see us base our signing policy on whether or not you liked someones face.

But I agree, swerve that one.

easty
11-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Would love to see us base our signing policy on whether or not you liked someones face.

But I agree, swerve that one.

Nah I was saying I don't like him...but despite his wee snidey prick face I'd still have taken him when he was good.

Unseen work
11-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Would rather play Fraser Murray. We already have Horgan, Murray and Newell who won’t necessarily make the first team. Never mind Middleton.

We don’t need McGeady who isn’t any better IMO

Mcgeady is head and shoulders above Murray, Newell, Horgan and Middleton imo. He could produce something out of absolutely nothing and is great at creating space.

The issue I would have is his attitude and will to work hard for the team. It’s all well and good having him, Allan and Boyle in the same team but we would need a lot of good defensive hard working players in behind them to make it work.

In this league Mcgeady would tear players apart and most importantly would give us consistent quality in the final third.

Niall McGinn is similar at Aberdeen but nowwhere near the quality that Mcgeady had

Tyler Durden
11-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Mcgeady is head and shoulders above Murray, Newell, Horgan and Middleton imo. He could produce something out of absolutely nothing and is great at creating space.

The issue I would have is his attitude and will to work hard for the team. It’s all well and good having him, Allan and Boyle in the same team but we would need a lot of good defensive hard working players in behind them to make it work.

In this league Mcgeady would tear players apart and most importantly would give us consistent quality in the final third.

Niall McGinn is similar at Aberdeen but nowwhere near the quality that Mcgeady had

“In this league”? He’s in a league that’s no better and he isn’t impressing.

Niall McGinn wouldn’t get in our team either.

Smartie
11-12-2019, 01:30 PM
“In this league”? He’s in a league that’s no better and he isn’t impressing.

Niall McGinn wouldn’t get in our team either.

He's had a dip in form but is widely accepted as being the best player in that league.

The 90+2
11-12-2019, 02:02 PM
I can’t stand the wee traitor and it would be extremely difficult to get behind him.

worcesterhibby
11-12-2019, 02:07 PM

How dare you ! I was brought up on watching Arthur Duncan in the late 1970's and early 1980's he was still playing for us at 55 !! (ok 37 but that's still old for a winger)

Tyler Durden
11-12-2019, 02:13 PM
He's had a dip in form but is widely accepted as being the best player in that league.

I know you’re a bit of a Sunderland fan but I don’t think that’s accurate.

He wasn’t last season - a few of the Luton players moved for £3m+ I think. And if he’s had a dip in form he certainly isn’t this year. Off top of my head there are guys at Peterborough, Ipswich, maybe Oxford that would be quoted well before McGeady.

sean04
11-12-2019, 02:26 PM
100% yes

SMAXXA
11-12-2019, 02:42 PM
He would be a brilliant signing for any spl team outside the old firm I don’t doubt that. He would add a bit of experience to the squad aswell

Since452
11-12-2019, 03:06 PM
He would be a brilliant signing for any spl team outside the old firm I don’t doubt that. He would add a bit of experience to the squad aswell

Yup

JimBHibees
11-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Agree absolute quality player.

FitbaFolkKen
11-12-2019, 03:22 PM
I know you’re a bit of a Sunderland fan but I don’t think that’s accurate.

He wasn’t last season - a few of the Luton players moved for £3m+ I think. And if he’s had a dip in form he certainly isn’t this year. Off top of my head there are guys at Peterborough, Ipswich, maybe Oxford that would be quoted well before McGeady.

James Collins was player of the year in League One last season.... no comment :rolleyes:

Cat Stanton
11-12-2019, 04:50 PM
I can’t stand the wee traitor and it would be extremely difficult to get behind him.

I'm not sure that's the most logical response (if he is a good player still) - but illogically, I absolutely agree with you: he's a loathsome little turd.

I also have it on good authority (well, ok, a taxi driver!) that he is every bit as obnoxious and arrogant off the field as you might expect.

So, no thanks. Even though this is also not terribly logical.

Fergos
11-12-2019, 05:02 PM
How dare you ! I was brought up on watching Arthur Duncan in the late 1970's and early 1980's he was still playing for us at 55 !! (ok 37 but that's still old for a winger)

...still playing for us aye....at full back in the latter years. Could still move though, just not as fast.

GGTTH

Since90+2
11-12-2019, 05:06 PM
He's a quality player and is miles better than our wide players with the exception of Boyle.

I know he chose Ireland as a young lad (and to be fair you could argue he's been proven right by playing at a world cup) but is he really that bad a character? I can't remember him ever being involved in any on or off field nonsense.

Tomsk
11-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Duncan played a lot of his games at left back in his later years, and wasn't half the player he was when at his best. Great servant whom Hibs held on to about five years too long.

Talking about old wingers who did a bit of damage in their later years, I hear that Gordon Smith wasn't too shabby.

Iggy Pope
11-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Duncan played a lot of his games at left back in his later years, and wasn't half the player he was when at his best. Great servant whom Hibs held on to about five years too long.

Talking about old wingers who did a bit of damage in their later years, I hear that Gordon Smith wasn't too shabby.

Great servant who was a splendid left back in his later years more like.

Since452
11-12-2019, 05:11 PM
A senior player who's played at the very highest level? Yes please.

Tomsk
11-12-2019, 05:14 PM

I think your memory's playing tricks with you. :wink:

Iggy Pope
11-12-2019, 05:15 PM

Erm, no.....

superfurryhibby
11-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Always thought it was a bizarre move, to play Duncan at LB. He wasn't really well equipped for it defensively.

Is It On....
11-12-2019, 05:50 PM
A 4-2-3-1 would be perfect for those 3. It would be fitting in the others that would be the issue if you went down that route though.

I know it's "recency bias" but are Doidge / Kamberi best utilised as lone strikers or as a front 2?

The 90+2
11-12-2019, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure that's the most logical response (if he is a good player still) - but illogically, I absolutely agree with you: he's a loathsome little turd.

I also have it on good authority (well, ok, a taxi driver!) that he is every bit as obnoxious and arrogant off the field as you might expect.

So, no thanks. Even though this is also not terribly logical.

:greengrin I’m the same by the way.

EI255
11-12-2019, 06:20 PM
He's 107 years old. Plays at league 1 level and would presumably be expensive.

I'll file that under 'nah'.Some players nearing the end of their careers don't always move for the money. He might well want to finish in Scotland.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
11-12-2019, 07:06 PM
Wee crunchie was no spring chicken when he played for us . Cracking winger .

cmcd
11-12-2019, 07:33 PM

Explain please

makaveli1875
11-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Explain please

Presumably because he bumped Scotland for Ireland

heretoday
11-12-2019, 07:51 PM
Get him before Hearts do!

Since452
11-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Get him before Hearts do!

Does he know that getting the ball back quickly after you lose it is Stendel's tactic? Not sure if he has the football intellect to understand that

CMurdoch
11-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Some players nearing the end of their careers don't always move for the money. He might well want to finish in Scotland.

In his case would he not wish to finish his career in Ireland since he loves it so much.
In fact he should be forced to play out his days there and profess his love for his country of choice after every game.

Sammy7nil
11-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Always thought it was a bizarre move, to play Duncan at LB. He wasn't really well equipped for it defensively.

A great player and Scored the winner in the SC final in his later years.

jacomo
11-12-2019, 09:59 PM
In his case would he not wish to finish his career in Ireland since he loves it so much.
In fact he should be forced to play out his days there and profess his love for his country of choice after every game.

Do you feel the same about Boyler declaring for Australia?

neil7908
11-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Not for me. Let's focus on younger, hungrier players. Horgan, Newell and Boyle are decent options until the summer.

Clarence
11-12-2019, 10:14 PM
I didn’t like the account he gave of himself in “Sunderland til I die”. Aiden McNeedy more like (sniffs and pushes glasses up bridge of nose)🤓

Bishop Hibee
11-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Three years ago maybe. Not now. There are other areas of the team to strengthen before we get another wide player.

SMAXXA
11-12-2019, 10:48 PM
He’s a natch winner in a heart beat you can never have enough of them in your squad

Captain Trips
11-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Not for me. I’d rather we were looking for players on the way up rather than short term signings who are on the way down.

I'm sure we are but I think one or two of this type of player are a good thing to have.

CloudSquall
11-12-2019, 11:29 PM
He’s a natch winner in a heart beat you can never have enough of them in your squad

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 12:21 AM

The difference is that McGeady was the most gifted Scottish player of his generation.
People who take an interest in Scottish football matters outside their own team knew all about this guy by his mid teens.
He was a game changer. He was needed by a Scotland team that lacked such a player.
Had he played for the country he was born in, schooled in and brought up in I believe Scotland would have qualified for at least one big tournament, maybe two. There were some near qualifying misses which could have been changed by his wonderful abilities.
Strangely from the age of 28, when he should have been going into his peak, he has gone off the boil and his playing legacy in the minds of many has become a bit tarnished but make no mistake he was the real business.

Martin Boyle is a different kettle of fish all together. For a long time under Stubbs almost all Hibs fans were pretty non plussed about him. A wee balding guy who ran about a lot but didn't seem to have much else. Through hard work and maturity he has improved year on year to be the player we saw on Saturday. Although we all love him I don't think he believed he was good enough to get picked to play for Scotland and decided to go for it with Australia when they asked him. I think that's fair enough.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:32 AM

Correct. Celtic minded Oirland over Scotland because his budgie was Irish. Then he dived and cheated and moaned for years then it was it was sectarian because he wasn’t liked. Mcgeady is a **** who would come in and automatically think he was too good for us and cause *****.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:34 AM

He wasn’t the most exciting Scottish prospect for years before he turned around and wanted to play for Australia.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:38 AM
The difference is that McGeady was the most gifted Scottish player of his generation.
People who take an interest in Scottish football matters outside their own team knew all about this guy by his mid teens.
He was a game changer. He was needed by a Scotland team that lacked such a player.
Had he played for the country he was born in, schooled in and brought up in I believe Scotland would have qualified for at least one big tournament, maybe two. There were some near qualifying misses which could have been changed by his wonderful abilities.
Strangely from the age of 28, when he should have been going into his peak, he has gone off the boil and his playing legacy in the minds of many has become a bit tarnished but make no mistake he was the real business.

Martin Boyle is a different kettle of fish all together. For a long time under Stubbs almost all Hibs fans were pretty non plussed about him. A wee balding guy who ran about a lot but didn't seem to have much else. Through hard work and maturity he has improved year on year to be the player we saw on Saturday. Although we all love him I don't think he believed he was good enough to get picked to play for Scotland and decided to go for it with Australia when they asked him. I think that's fair enough.

Absolutely 100% spot on.

I’m sure there was some made up excuse about Scotland not wanting him at schoolboy level but Ireland did when in fact it was something to do with being at a professional football club (Celtic) not being allowed to play for the national school team but it was okay for Ireland so they of ccourse wanted him more and absolutely nothing to do with the usual Scottish Celtic fan with an Irish budgie, supporting and wanting to play for them while being Scottish, living and breathing in Scotland with Scottish parents but with a great Gran who kens Daniel O’Donnell.

If he wants to retire and play in a league he feels he belongs to then away to Shamrock Rovers son.

Lancs Harp
12-12-2019, 12:43 AM
Unfulfilled promise for me. Was excellent at Celtic, his move to Moscow derailed his career for me just been a fits and starts player since. 70 odd appearances in four seasons in Russia, 30 odd aps in three seasons at Everton with loan spells with Sheff Wed and Preston and now plying his trade in the third tier of English football. Should have been so much better.

Unseen work
12-12-2019, 09:22 AM
I was told Mcgeady was treated very poorly by the SFA and it was his family member who advised him to try Ireland as they were desperate for him.

Thats why he started with them from a very young age, he never played with Scotland till say 21s then changed.

I wish he picked Scotland as he’s quality, but I’m not going to criticise his decision if what I heard is correct

cmcd
12-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Not sure why anyone would care

Since452
12-12-2019, 09:48 AM
James McCarthy bumped Scotland for Ireland and there are no Celtic connections there. Personally don't blame McGeady for choosing Ireland. He's played in a world cup which he'd never have done with Scotland

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Not sure why anyone would care

Agree, who actually gives a ****?

Some bizarre people on here. Most of them probably don’t give a damn about the national team too.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 10:11 AM
I was told Mcgeady was treated very poorly by the SFA and it was his family member who advised him to try Ireland as they were desperate for him.

Thats why he started with them from a very young age, he never played with Scotland till say 21s then changed.

I wish he picked Scotland as he’s quality, but I’m not going to criticise his decision if what I heard is correct

He was not allowed to play for Scotland because he was at Celtic. Pat Bonnar then got him to trait over to Ireland schoolboys. There was no poor treatment by the SFA.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 10:13 AM
James McCarthy bumped Scotland for Ireland and there are no Celtic connections there. Personally don't blame McGeady for choosing Ireland. He's played in a world cup which he'd never have done with Scotland

He bumped Scotland for Ireland for pretty much the same reason as McGeady did. Celtic fans with Irish Grandparents weirdly seeing themselves more Irish than Scottish. Weird. You just have to turn up to Celtic park on Sunday and it’s Irish tribute acts galore.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 10:13 AM
He was not allowed to play for Scotland because he was at Celtic. Pat Bonnar then got him to trait over to Ireland schoolboys. There was no poor treatment by the SFA.

Why do you care? Are you a die hard fan of the national team who holds a grudge for life, lol.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Why do you care? Are you a die hard fan of the national team who holds a grudge for life, lol.

Why would I care that a top footballing prospect chose to play for another country to the one he grew up in and worked in when that country was crying out for players? There’s no grudge there, no but it at least should be told how it is.

basehibby
12-12-2019, 10:19 AM
I would have liked McGeady to have played for Scotland just as I would have liked Boyle to - but (as is not unusual) Scotland made a ham fisted arse of it and allowed a quality player to slip through our grasp. Do I blame the players? In the context of the modern game, certainly not! Both have given themselves much increased chances of reaching major tournaments by playing for sides - WHICH THEY WERE FULLY QUALIFIED TO PLAY FOR - and which recognised and valued their respective talents when Scotland failed to do so.

And in any case - if signing a player makes the Hibs a better team then FRANKLY MY DEAR I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!

basehibby
12-12-2019, 10:25 AM

So - he was not allowed to play for Scotland because of archaic Scottish rules but it's not Scotland's fault?!?

lyonhibs
12-12-2019, 10:30 AM
So - he was not allowed to play for Scotland because of archaic Scottish rules but it's not Scotland's fault?!?

Exactly. Scotland shot themselves in the foot with this one and he didn't hang about until they got their act together.

When it comes to outstanding young talent eligible for more than 1 country, if you're not fast, you're last.

Baader
12-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Who cares what national team an eligible player elects to play for? It's their decision. He chose Ireland over Scotland like many others have (Ray Houghton for eg.) We had a silly rule in place about schoolboy football that seemed to complicate things anyway.

Smartie
12-12-2019, 11:02 AM
I’ve never really understood the hate.

Other countries have loads of people with dual nationality who choose to represent the nation of a grandparent.

Ireland have called on this rule for years to their benefit.

Obviously I wouldn’t be against giving him a bit of heat when playing against Scotland but he had the choice of a couple of countries and chose one that wasn’t us.

Big deal.

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Does anyone hold a grudge more than football fans? People not wanting him to play for Hibs because he chose Ireland as a kid. I don't get that personally. If he improves Hibs I would take him in a second.

hibbyfraelibby
12-12-2019, 11:22 AM
I dont want McGeady because we are already carrying enough elderly players to fill a pensioners outting bus trip. McGeady is the past not the future.

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 11:31 AM
I dont want McGeady because we are already carrying enough elderly players to fill a pensioners outting bus trip. McGeady is the past not the future.

Elderly? The guys is 33 ffs. A year younger than Sauzee was when he signed for us by the way...

worcesterhibby
12-12-2019, 11:43 AM

I know, but from memory he was more of a wing back and still managed to get down the byeline and put some crosses in, although as others have said, by the time I was watching him he wasn't quite the same player as he was earlier in his career.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 11:54 AM

He wasn’t allowed to play for Scotland like every other player at that time. You didn’t see the rest of the players buggering off to play for Grandads homeland.

Heisenberg
12-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Elderly? The guys is 33 ffs. A year younger than Sauzee was when he signed for us by the way...

Sauzee was a previous champions league winning player and was also a prominent player for France. McGeady is a washed up league one player. Only worth taking the risk on older players in some situations, this wouldn’t be one I’d want us to go for.

Unseen work
12-12-2019, 12:05 PM
There’s a difference signing a 33 year old journeyman or a 33 year old Aiden Mcgeady.

The guy has bags of ability.

https://youtu.be/9gIb_jLwAKk Not bad is it

JDHibs
12-12-2019, 12:09 PM
I got told by someone who knows Jack Ross that McGeady was on nearly £40k a week (along with Oviedo, whos now left), might be less now as he signed an extension last year, hence why hes never moved on from Sunderland as he wont get that anywhere else.

Going to put that rumour under, not happening.

For what its worth, even at 33, hes still a cracking player & wont get into any team outwith the old firm up here.

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Sauzee was a previous champions league winning player and was also a prominent player for France. McGeady is a washed up league one player. Only worth taking the risk on older players in some situations, this wouldn’t be one I’d want us to go for.

Not comparing them as players am I. Just pointing out that 33 is not exactly elderly. And Im quite aware of Sauzee's career.

Also not convinced McGeady is washed up to be honest. Although I hope we dont go for him as its clear he would be the target of those delightful boo-boys in our support.

Mick O'Rourke
12-12-2019, 12:16 PM
We do see now a number of sportsmen/woman representing Countries they were not born in.
Rich Middle East/Gulf Countries have "adopted" top African athletes, for example.

This thread had me thinking on footballers who have played for more than one Country.

Two very famous and certainly world class players from the famous Real Madrid teams of the late 50s/early60s spring to mind.

Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Columbia and Spain.
Ferenc Puskas represented both Hungary and Spain.

JDHibs
12-12-2019, 12:17 PM
We do see now a number of sportsmen/woman representing Countries they were not born in.
Rich Middle East/Gulf Countries have "adopted" top African athletes, for example.

This thread had me thinking on footballers who have played for more than one Country.

Two very famous and certainly world class players from the famous Real Madrid teams of the late 50s/early60s spring to mind.

Alfredo Di Stefano played for Argentina, Columbia and Spain.
Ferenc Puskas represented both Hungary and Spain.

Diego Costa - Spain/Brazil
Declan Rice - ROI/England

J-C
12-12-2019, 12:18 PM
I think people are getting their players mixed up, McCarthy stated from an early age his desire to play for Ireland, IIRC was it not due to his granddad. McGeady came through the system and was overlooked by us so Ireland came calling.

Mick O'Rourke
12-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Not comparing them as players am I. Just pointing out that 33 is not exactly elderly. And Im quite aware of Sauzee's career.

Also not convinced McGeady is washed up to be honest. Although I hope we dont go for him as its clear he would be the target of those delightful boo-boys in our support.

Kris Commons didn't do too bad in the games he played for us.
34 or 35 he was then.
5 games ,2 goals.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:25 PM
I think people are getting their players mixed up, McCarthy stated from an early age his desire to play for Ireland, IIRC was it not due to his granddad. McGeady came through the system and was overlooked by us so Ireland came calling.

He wasn’t over looked by us at all. He signed Schoolboy forms with Celtic so couldn’t (like many, many others) couldn’t play for Scotland at that level. He’s even said so himself. That, and supporting Ireland because he’s a Celtic supporter who thinks he’s Irish.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.the42.ie/aiden-mcgeady-james-mccarthy-ireland-scotland-1772284-Nov2014/%3famp=1

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Kris Commons didn't do too bad in the games he played for us.
34 or 35 he was then
5 games 2 goals

Indeed. There are loads of older Hibs players that have done well. Im sure Craig Brewster was something like 35 when he signed for us. Even over the last few months plenty have said we shouldn't have got rid of 34 year old Mark Milligan.

Some folks just have a negative outlook though.

Since452
12-12-2019, 12:28 PM
He wasn’t over looked by us at all. He signed Schoolboy forms with Celtic so couldn’t (like many, many others) couldn’t play for Scotland at that level. He’s even said so himself. That, and supporting Ireland because he’s a Celtic supporter who thinks he’s Irish.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.the42.ie/aiden-mcgeady-james-mccarthy-ireland-scotland-1772284-Nov2014/%3famp=1

He couldn't play for Scotland as a youth because he was at Celtic? Did that actually happen? If so that's as bad as Rangers not signing Catholics

basehibby
12-12-2019, 12:29 PM
He wasn’t allowed to play for Scotland like every other player at that time. You didn’t see the rest of the players buggering off to play for Grandads homeland.

Maybe the rest of the players' grandads were all Scottish anyway.

Maybe he felt a particular affinity to Ireland through his family connections - and what business is it of yours if he did?!?

Or maybe he just relished the opportunity of playing international football for a country he has a genuine connection to - and once again - what business is that of yours when it's completely within the rules?

And if you would object to such a notion so vociferously then why do you support a team who's name means "Irish" anyway? Does that not also contravene your notions of uber-scottishness that you are so happy to demand of players?

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:32 PM
He couldn't play for Scotland as a youth because he was at Celtic? Did that actually happen? If so that's as bad as Rangers not signing Catholics

Schoolboys who had signed s-forms with professional teams couldn’t play for Scotland schools at the time.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Maybe the rest of the players' grandads were all Scottish anyway.

Maybe he felt a particular affinity to Ireland through his family connections - and what business is it of yours if he did?!?

Or maybe he just relished the opportunity of playing international football for a country he has a genuine connection to - and once again - what business is that of yours when it's completely within the rules?

And if you would object to such a notion so vociferously then why do you support a team who's name means "Irish" anyway? Does that not also contravene your notions of uber-scottishness that you are so happy to demand of players?

So he’s a traitor then, and considers himself Irish like a vast proportion of the Celtic support.

If a Scottish footballer, considered the best of his generation chooses to play for another country I’ll comment regardless of what personal business it is of mines, cheers.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Utter nonsense. How do you know what he thinks about his ethnicity and identity. You're havering.

"McGeady played for Scotland Schools while at Queen's Park. He played in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris.[68] After Queen's Park he joined Celtic, who had a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicting kick off times. Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools’ selects.[69]

The Republic of Ireland had no such rule preventing a player from being selected and instructed Donegal-born former Celtic player Packie Bonner, who knew of McGeady's Irish heritage, to invite McGeady to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-15 Schoolboys team.[2] McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents, who hail from the Gaeltacht area of Gweedore, County Donegal.[7][70][71] McGeady accepted the offer and joined the Irish youth setup.

McGeady was later named in a Scotland under-16 squad but declined the invitation, citing his experience of the Irish set-up, despite attempts to persuade him to do so by Scotland head coach Berti Vogts.[7][68] This decision led to jeering from fans of other Scottish clubs, particularly Rangers supporters who referred to him as "that wee traitor from Castlemilk" in the controversial Famine song.|"

Since452
12-12-2019, 12:34 PM
Schoolboys who had signed s-forms with professional teams couldn’t play for Scotland schools at the time.

Cheers. Didn't know that. Every day a school day!

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Utter nonsense. How do you know what he thinks about his ethnicity and identity. You're havering.

"McGeady played for Scotland Schools while at Queen's Park. He played in an under-13 World Cup tournament in Paris.[68] After Queen's Park he joined Celtic, who had a policy of not permitting their youths to play for their school teams due to conflicting kick off times. Scotland had a rule which would not permit a player who did not play for their school team to be considered for a call-up to Scotland Schools’ selects.[69]

The Republic of Ireland had no such rule preventing a player from being selected and instructed Donegal-born former Celtic player Packie Bonner, who knew of McGeady's Irish heritage, to invite McGeady to play for the Republic of Ireland Under-15 Schoolboys team.[2] McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents, who hail from the Gaeltacht area of Gweedore, County Donegal.[7][70][71] McGeady accepted the offer and joined the Irish youth setup.

McGeady was later named in a Scotland under-16 squad but declined the invitation, citing his experience of the Irish set-up, despite attempts to persuade him to do so by Scotland head coach Berti Vogts.[7][68] This decision led to jeering from fans of other Scottish clubs, particularly Rangers supporters who referred to him as "that wee traitor from Castlemilk" in the controversial Famine song.|"

You’re trying to say a vast proportion of the Celtic support don’t favour Ireland over Scotland?

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 12:38 PM
You’re trying to say a vast proportion of the Celtic support don’t favour Ireland over Scotland?

Who knows and who cares? I don't really get too worked up about which national side fans of other teams might favour. Why does it matter so much to you?

PS: you're straying a bit, first of all it was because a wonderful talent choose to desert the national side, now it's a massive assumption about fans and countries they align with.

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 12:39 PM
I wonder if all the non-French born world cup winners get called traiters etc as well. Players pick nations other than their place of birth all over the word. Its just part of football now.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:45 PM
Who knows and who cares? I don't really get too worked up about which national side fans of other teams might favour. Why does it matter so much to you?

It mattered at the time, not much now. It matters more when it becomes a fact that Scotland treated the player badly or where somehow at fault for overlooking him. He’s also a diving, cheating moaning faced so and so too. Past his best by years.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:46 PM
I wonder if all the non-French born world cup winners get called traiters etc as well. Players pick nations other than their place of birth all over the word. Its just part of football now.

Most non-French born players still grew up, Schooled and worked in France, I can actually see why they would have affinity with that country.

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 12:47 PM
It mattered at the time, not much now. It matters more when it becomes a fact that Scotland treated the player badly or where somehow at fault for overlooking him. He’s also a diving, cheating moaning faced so and so too. Past his best by years.

Im getting the impression your a bit of a fan of his?

basehibby
12-12-2019, 12:54 PM
So he’s a traitor then, and considers himself Irish like a vast proportion of the Celtic support.

If a Scottish footballer, considered the best of his generation chooses to play for another country I’ll comment regardless of what personal business it is of mines, cheers.

My wife was born in England - both her parents are Greek. My Daughter was born in Australia and grew up in Scotland - her dad (me) is Scottish.

So - by your reckoning, if my daughter decided to play for Greece at some sport or another she would be a "traitor" to Scotland - is that right?

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Most non-French born players still grew up, Schooled and worked in France, I can actually see why they would have affinity with that country.

Some did, some didnt. It happens. Just like Hargreaves, Deco, Podolski, Diego Costa, Eusebio, Di Stefano..... Even our own Kamberi has decided to do the same. Dont really see the point in getting so upset about it.

Peevemor
12-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Only Umtiti (Cameroon) and Mandanda (Congo) were born outwith France. Both moved to France when they were 2 years old.

Lemar was born in Guadeloupe, which is officially part of France.

The rest were born in France, albeit often to immigrant parents.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 12:59 PM
My wife was born in England - both her parents are Greek. My Daughter was born in Australia and grew up in Scotland - her dad (me) is Scottish.

So - by your reckoning, if my daughter decided to play for Greece at some sport or another she would be a "traitor" to Scotland - is that right?

Would your daughter want to represent Greece ahead of Scotland presumably lived her whole life in this country because she feels more affinity with Greece than she does here? I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say no. Come back if and when it happens and I’ll give you an honest opinion,

I’m not going to say anything about your daughter based on hypothetical circumstances regardless. At least I know your basis of taking this extremely personal now though 👍

Barman Stanton
12-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Only Umtiti (Cameroon) and Mandanda (Congo) were born outwith France. Both moved to France when they were 2 years old.

Lemar was born in Guadeloupe, which is officially part of France.

The rest were born in France, albeit often to immigrant parents.

Vieira, Desailly, Thuram, Karembeu... I didnt mention year. France just sprung to mind as they have done pretty well out of players born outwith France.

Since452
12-12-2019, 01:08 PM
McGeady was brilliant for Sunderland last season and is their top scorer this season despite falling out with new manager. If Ross wants him it's an absolute no brainer

heretoday
12-12-2019, 01:18 PM
There’s a difference signing a 33 year old journeyman or a 33 year old Aiden Mcgeady.

The guy has bags of ability.

https://youtu.be/9gIb_jLwAKk Not bad is it

Him on the left and Boyle on the right. What's not to like?

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 01:21 PM

Thanks for posting this. Loadsa concise facts.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 01:22 PM

👍

basehibby
12-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Would your daughter want to represent Greece ahead of Scotland presumably lived her whole life in this country because she feels more affinity with Greece than she does here? I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and say no. Come back if and when it happens and I’ll give you an honest opinion,

I’m not going to say anything about your daughter based on hypothetical circumstances regardless. At least I know your basis of taking this extremely personal now though ��

You may well have been disappointed that McGeady chose to play for Ireland over Scotland - so was I - but throwing around words like "traitor" is well out of court. If his grandad is Irish he has a very real and direct affinity with that nation - not only that he is at least a quarter genetically Irish FFS! That is at least as valid a reason for feeling pride in playing for a country as it being the nation you were born in.

Correction - going by the facts dredged from SuperfurryHibby's post McGeady is actualy HALF Irish by blood ("McGeady qualifies for Ireland through his paternal grandparents"- so wind yer neck in 90 + 2 - you are making a complete arse of yourself

Since452
12-12-2019, 01:29 PM
McGeady on around 30k per week at Sunderland so unless he fancies a massive pay cut in the last few years of a short career we can forget it

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 01:31 PM
Who started this thread.
I have just checked and found that McGeady has a contract at Sunderland for the next 18 months.
He won't be leaving Sunderland in January unless they pay his contract up no matter how much the manager wants him to go away.

He will be 35 when his Sunderland contract and will no doubt retire.
The End.

SanFranHibs
12-12-2019, 01:32 PM
I am sure it will have been said on this thread, but just as important as the player is the contract. A 3 year contract like Whittaker's would be get a thumbs down from me, but 1 year contract with an option for a second year for the club, which if declined then pay the player a reasonable compensation (not huge). 33 is not old, but by next season start he will be 34. (Can't fault my basic arithmetic).

Of course, McGeady might not be interested in a short term deal and get a two year offer from another club. Maybe even our neighbours? ;)

Anyone know if he has been injury prone?

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 01:33 PM
You may well have been disappointed that McGeady chose to play for Ireland over Scotland - so was I - but throwing around words like "traitor" is well out of court. If his grandad is Irish he has a very real and direct affinity with that nation - not only that he is at least a quarter genetically Irish FFS! That is at least as valid a reason for feeling pride in playing for a country as it being the nation you were born in.

I would usually agree with this mate, I really would but I’ve no doubt that there’s the Celtic/Ireland thing same as huns/NI/England thing going on and that’s why mcgeady, who would have grown up in they surroundings didn’t play for Scotland. Sorry if I’ve offended you in any way and I realise it may be closer to the bone personally than just being pissed off with a footballer because my opinion is he’s pretend Irish. My Grandad was born bred Scouse, I wouldn’t consider myself Liverpudlian or want to play for England over Scotland if I was good enough either.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Better sticking to facts eh, rather than crap about finishing his career in Ireland etc.

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Better sticking to facts eh, rather than crap about finishing his career in Ireland etc.

No, he should still finish his career in Ireland in front of 10 men and a dug.
He needs to feel the love of his adopted country.
Put something back in.

Begbie79
12-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Joined .net in the hope of getting away from the amount of roasters on the facebook Hibs pages but this place is full of them too. Jeezo, 5 pages of utter tripe.

bingo70
12-12-2019, 02:19 PM
Joined .net in the hope of getting away from the amount of roasters on the facebook Hibs pages but this place is full of them too. Jeezo, 5 pages of utter tripe.

Just the five?

Wait till the puns in the transfer window thread start.

Begbie79
12-12-2019, 02:31 PM
Just the five?

Wait till the puns in the transfer window thread start.

Buzzing for that :thumbsup:

Smartie
12-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Who started this thread.
I have just checked and found that McGeady has a contract at Sunderland for the next 18 months.
He won't be leaving Sunderland in January unless they pay his contract up no matter how much the manager wants him to go away.

The End.

I started it.

A thread on the Sunderland forum entitled “hearing McGeady’s left / walked away from the club” has reached 59 pages in 2 days with no official confirmation yet that he has left the club.

Yes, he’s under contract but a fall-out is being widely rumoured.

If you think this 5 pager is pish, you should try wading through some of that.

Hibs are mentioned once or twice. McGeady has been hot and cold throughout his career but he had a flourish last season under Jack Ross. He played on, and played well, with a broken foot for a spell.

I’m not itk but thought it might be of interest.

we are hibs
12-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Sunderland manager confirmed on twitter he will be leaving in January.

Wonder what those calling McGeady a traitor opinion is about Scott Allan? The man who said he was happy at hibs on hibs tv then a couple of weeks later handed in a transfer request right before the start of the season to try and force a move to the team who at the time were our main challengers for promotion? Is he not welcome at hibs now despite the fact it happened 5 years ago and hes probably our best player? Or do footballers and people in general not get a chance of redemption if theyve made a mistake?

we are hibs
12-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Who started this thread.

The End.

I started it.

A thread on the Sunderland forum entitled “hearing McGeady’s left / walked away from the club” has reached 59 pages in 2 days with no official confirmation yet that he has left the club.

Yes, he’s under contract but a fall-out is being widely rumoured.

If you think this 5 pager is pish, you should try wading through some of that.

Hibs are mentioned once or twice. McGeady has been hot and cold throughout his career but he had a flourish last season under Jack Ross. He played on, and played well, with a broken foot for a spell.

I’m not itk but thought it might be of interest.

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 03:41 PM

McGeady has 18 months of his contract left.
He is holding all the aces and will only move if it suits him which it probably won't.
Phil Parkinson can make pointless statements all he wants and sqweem and sqweem and sqweem but McGeady is going nowhere without a pay off.

CMurdoch
12-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Played very well there under Jack Ross and has lost his way again under Parkinson.

Thoughts?

Apologies, as usual posters ran here there and everywhere with a very valid and sensible OP :aok:

Dunbar Hibee
12-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Zero chance we could afford his wages.

bingo70
12-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Zero chance we could afford his wages.

Zero chance his next wage will be anywhere near his current wage.

Imo he’s had his last really big contract and it’s just a case now of seeing how long he can prolong his career.

Phil MaGlass
12-12-2019, 04:22 PM
I dont want him at Hibs, imagne one bad game, it would just bring out all the boo boys who think hes a traitor, and I´m one of them who thinks hes a traitor, but, wouldnt boo him.

basehibby
12-12-2019, 04:29 PM
I would usually agree with this mate, I really would but I’ve no doubt that there’s the Celtic/Ireland thing same as huns/NI/England thing going on and that’s why mcgeady, who would have grown up in they surroundings didn’t play for Scotland. Sorry if I’ve offended you in any way and I realise it may be closer to the bone personally than just being pissed off with a footballer because my opinion is he’s pretend Irish. My Grandad was born bred Scouse, I wouldn’t consider myself Liverpudlian or want to play for England over Scotland if I was good enough either.

RUBBISH - he is HALF Irish by blood as both his dad's parents are Irish.

You have a bone to pick with plastic paddies obviously - well how about restricting it to that rather than people with a genuine heritage. You sound like a bigoted hun with your slaverings FFS!

overdrive
12-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Exactly this. It was Celtic’s piss poor anti-Scotland, pro-Ireland stance that caused it!

PaulSmith
12-12-2019, 04:46 PM
All this faux outrage, if McGeady came to Hibs and played well he’d be a hero and we’d be up in arms about him getting booed at other grounds.

Fickle fitba fans, myself included. We’d forgive and forget about anything that’s went before if he’s doin the business.

heretoday
12-12-2019, 04:50 PM
I couldn't care less of he's a Boris-voting Tory from Timbuktu. He'd be good for Hibs, I reckon.

Calling him a traitor sounds like National Front sort of talk. Is this what it's gonna be like in an Indy Scotland?

J-C
12-12-2019, 04:50 PM

You have a bone to pick with plastic paddies obviously - well how about restricting it to that rather than people with a genuine heritage. You sound like a bigoted hun with your slaverings FFS!

Erm, you can only be half Irish if either of your parents are full Irish, in the case of having 2 Irish granddads, 2 quarters don't make a half. :greengrin I have 2 Irish granddads but I'm only a quarter Irish.

Dunbar Hibee
12-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Zero chance his next wage will be anywhere near his current wage.

Imo he’s had his last really big contract and it’s just a case now of seeing how long he can prolong his career.

It will still be considerably higher than anything we can offer IMO.

Smartie
12-12-2019, 05:00 PM
It will still be considerably higher than anything we can offer IMO.

If he's not looked after the decent sums of money he'll have earned playing for Everton and Moscow then he might be best sitting in the stand watching Sunderland struggle for the next 18 months.

I don't think money will be his primary motivation, he might just want to finish his career enjoying his football playing under a manager he respects?

Dunbar Hibee
12-12-2019, 05:09 PM
If he's not looked after the decent sums of money he'll have earned playing for Everton and Moscow then he might be best sitting in the stand watching Sunderland struggle for the next 18 months.

I don't think money will be his primary motivation, he might just want to finish his career enjoying his football playing under a manager he respects?

Hopefully mate, I think it’d be a great signing, just can’t see it happening.

Billy Whizz
12-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Sounds like their Manager could be bumped before McGeady

Itsnoteasy
12-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Just on SS news. Mcgeady has been told to find new club.

Brightside
12-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Just on SS news. Mcgeady has been told to find new club.

But they need to pay him off.

blackpoolhibs
12-12-2019, 05:35 PM
I got told by someone who knows Jack Ross that McGeady was on nearly £40k a week (along with Oviedo, whos now left), might be less now as he signed an extension last year, hence why hes never moved on from Sunderland as he wont get that anywhere else.

Going to put that rumour under, not happening.

For what its worth, even at 33, hes still a cracking player & wont get into any team outwith the old firm up here.

McGeady on around 30k per week at Sunderland so unless he fancies a massive pay cut in the last few years of a short career we can forget it

I reckon if this keeps going, we might be able to afford him by sunday afternoon.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 05:40 PM

How on earth does that make him half Irish when he and both his parents are all born and raised in Scotland 😂😂😂

Ooft there goes the hun card, if there was a hun traitor who chose England over Scotland because his grandad was English I would call them out as a traitor too.

Of course I have an issue with plastic paddies, they’ve used Irish heritage to become a super power in Scottish football while our club decided to move on with the times.

PeeKay
12-12-2019, 05:51 PM
How on earth does that make him half Irish when he and both his parents are all born and raised in Scotland 😂😂😂

Ooft there goes the hun card, if there was a hun traitor who chose England over Scotland because his grandad was English I would call them out as a traitor too.

Of course I have an issue with plastic paddies, they’ve used Irish heritage to become a super power in Scottish football while our club decided to move on with the times.

Aw nah! I'm three quarters English but identify strongly with Scotland having lived here for almost all of my life. Does that make me a plastic jock?

Captain Trips
12-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Does he improve our team yes or no? don't care about Ireland/Scotland. I think he would be good addition.

JimBHibees
12-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Does he improve our team yes or no? don't care about Ireland/Scotland. I think he would be good addition.

Totally agree think he would be a good signing.

Since90+2
12-12-2019, 06:14 PM

He'd improve our team without question. The whole Irish/Scottish conversation is nonsense and straying into Old Firm territory.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 06:15 PM
I couldn't care less of he's a Boris-voting Tory from Timbuktu. He'd be good for Hibs, I reckon.

Calling him a traitor sounds like National Front sort of talk. Is this what it's gonna be like in Boris' Britain ?

Fixed this for you.

Since90+2
12-12-2019, 06:16 PM

This is a Hibs forum , we don't judge players on claimed ethnicity , or not as it may be , but on their ability to improve our football team.

You need to have a think about some of your comments.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Aw nah! I'm three quarters English but identify strongly with Scotland having lived here for almost all of my life. Does that make me a plastic jock?

Why would it make you a plastic jock? You’ve lived here almost all of your life - unlike the plastic paddy in question who’s never lived in Ireland.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 06:27 PM
This is a Hibs forum , we don't judge players on claimed ethnicity , or not as it may be , but on their ability to improve our football team.

You need to have a think about some of your comments.

I support Hibernian and the Scottish National side.

I’ve no issue with any race or ethnicity either and openly welcome any player regardless of race and religion. I call it down the middle though, I’m not one of those who hate Thomson or Murray more than Brown or Griffiths either, in fact I like all four of they players.

Since90+2
12-12-2019, 06:28 PM
I support Hibernian and the Scottish National side.

That's great. Probably the same as about 90% of the forum then?

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 06:31 PM
That's great. Probably the same as about 90% of the forum then?

Probably yeah. So you will hopefully see why there could be an issue with an amazing footballer who’s lived here all his life before leaving Celtic choosing another country to play football for over Scotland and that’s regardless of the country they go to play for.

Since90+2
12-12-2019, 06:34 PM
Probably yeah. So you will hopefully see why there could be an issue with an amazing footballer who’s lived here all his life before leaving Celtic choosing another country to play football for over Scotland and that’s regardless of the country they go to play for.

To be honest I reckon most folk will just comment on the possibility of an amazing footballer, as you describe him,potentially playing for Hibs or not. Why does anything else matter?

easty
12-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Nah. He’s not half Irish at all. He’s Scottish.

Big_Franck
12-12-2019, 06:49 PM
Don't want this wee rat anywhere near my club, especially not now he's finished. He can't get a game for a mid table League One side so he's clearly done. No thanks.

Captain Trips
12-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Don't want this wee rat anywhere near my club, especially not now he's finished. He can't get a game for a mid table League One side so he's clearly done. No thanks.

I am sure there is quite a lengthy list of players we have signed with that same criteria and done very well and I am sure also as you say done poor.

weecounty hibby
12-12-2019, 07:13 PM
My heid is going to explode. We have 90+2 arguing with since90+2. All about whether a guy born and bred in Scotland with parents born and bred in Scotland is Irish or not. 🤯🤯🤯

Waxy
12-12-2019, 07:14 PM
I’ll go along with what Jack Ross does.

Since90+2
12-12-2019, 07:18 PM
My heid is going to explode. We have 90+2 arguing with since90+2. All about whether a guy born and bred in Scotland with parents born and bred in Scotland is Irish or not. 🤯🤯🤯

Your head must have exploded then as I've not commented at all on his nationality as my whole point is that it doesn't matter.

Reading your post you seem to have a stronger opinion on it than me. I only care about whether he would improve our team or not.

weecounty hibby
12-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Your head must have exploded then as I've not commented at all on his nationality as my whole point is that it doesn't matter.

Reading your post you seem to have a stronger opinion on it than me. I only care about whether he would improve our team or not.

I don't give a **** where he comes from, who he most identifies with or where he thinks of as home. It was meant to be a bit light hearted about the user names really.

Baader
12-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Awful lot of genealogy and ethnicity experts on here. Folk who are eligible to play for more than one nation can represent who they want. Or should that freedom to chose not be allowed and we go back to guys like Joe Baker wanting to play for Scotland but not able to because he was born in England?

'Traitor' is the sort of nonsense I expect from an idiot like Farage - not Hibs class.

mayo hibee
12-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Some pretty poor comments in this thread. McGeady is a talented player and would significantly improve the Hibs team if he signed.

As for as his international career, he chose the country he felt more of an identity towards and, reading some of the comments on here, it's easy to understand his decision.

In return he was rewarded with 90+ caps and played in two major finals tournaments - that's more caps and more finals tournaments than any other Scottish born player has managed this century. Hibs would be lucky to have him if Jack Ross was able to get him in.

GreenOnions
12-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Nationality itself is an artificial construction IMO and serves only to divide people. QED

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Some pretty poor comments in this thread. McGeady is a talented player and would significantly improve the Hibs team if he signed.

As for as his international career, he chose the country he felt more of an identity towards and, reading some of the comments on here, it's easy to understand his decision.

In return he was rewarded with 90+ caps and played in two major finals tournaments - that's more caps and more finals tournaments than any other Scottish born player has managed this century. Hibs would be lucky to have him if Jack Ross was able to get him in.

I’m sure you would have felt the same if Robbie Keane decided he was more English back in the day.

basehibby
12-12-2019, 09:12 PM
Erm, you can only be half Irish if either of your parents are full Irish, in the case of having 2 Irish granddads, 2 quarters don't make a half. :greengrin I have 2 Irish granddads but I'm only a quarter Irish.

2 quarters don't make a half??? Go back to school numbskull

staunchhibby
12-12-2019, 09:17 PM
If our manager thinks he can do a job for us then I will respect that decision and give the player my support.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 09:39 PM

You still think McGeady is half Irish, born in Scotland with both scottish parents? You might want to think about that before you call anyone a numbskull 👍

SMAXXA
12-12-2019, 09:47 PM
Ridiculous people not wanting a player at Hibs because of which country he choose to represent. It’s a personal choice and no one had the right to question it, I’m sure he had his own reasons and quite frankly it’s been justified what would he have experienced with Scotland. Fair enough people who don’t want him for his ability but some of the other reasons I feel are poor. We wouldn’t want an ex Jambo, wouldnt and an ex hun, wouldn’t want someone who criticised Hibs at some point in his career, wouldn’t want a lower league player, now wouldn’t want a player who choose Ireland over Scotland wff 😂 you see it all on this site that’s for sure

SideBurns
12-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Given what seems to be going on in the 'United Kingdom' tonight, an Irish passport seems like a barry idea. I do wonder if McGeady would have faced the same vitriol if he'd been eligible and chosen to play for, say, Wales rather than Ireland? In fact, I don't really wonder.

basehibby
12-12-2019, 09:58 PM
You still think McGeady is half Irish, born in Scotland with both scottish parents? You might want to think about that before you call anyone a numbskull 👍

Do I have to spell it out FFS???

If your dad's mum and dad are both Scottish then your dad is 100% Scottish by blood. Therefore you are at least 50% Scottish by blood regardless of where anyone else comes from. Do you get it now - numbskull?

chrisski33
12-12-2019, 10:08 PM

If your dad's mum and dad are both Scottish then your dad is 100% Scottish by blood. Therefore you are at least 50% Scottish by blood regardless of where anyone else comes from. Do you get it now - numbskull?

What if the dads dad is from Sweden?

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 10:11 PM

So if Aiden McGeadys kid is fathered by him and a Scottish lassie, because his (Aidens) mum and dad are Scottish (fact) the kids 100% Scottish but Aiden himself is 50% Irish aye because his dads parents are Irish?

I’m out this convo’ McGeady is a Celtic minded, kiddy on Irish traitor and past his best.

superfurryhibby
12-12-2019, 10:37 PM
Given what seems to be going on in the 'United Kingdom' tonight, an Irish passport seems like a barry idea. I do wonder if McGeady would have faced the same vitriol if he'd been eligible and chosen to play for, say, Wales rather than Ireland? In fact, I don't really wonder.

Yep, the agenda isn't really that far from the surface.

heretoday
12-12-2019, 10:47 PM

Hear hear. Some extraordinary posts.

Flipping fascists.

mayo hibee
12-12-2019, 11:02 PM
I’m sure you would have felt the same if Robbie Keane decided he was more English back in the day.

Well I don't think he qualified to play for England so it's not really relevant.

However FWIW there are a lot of good Irish born young players of Nigerian descent currently coming through the Irish youth systems. Some are choosing to play for Ireland, some want to play for Nigeria, others are undecided. Obviously I'd prefer them to play for Ireland but I wish them all the best regardless of which country they choose.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 11:25 PM

What’s the difference between Ireland and Wales like? Both would be turning their back on their country. In fact the only difference is there’s no a football club in Scotland who consider themselves welsh and who’s support would rather wales win than Scotland.

The 90+2
12-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Well I don't think he qualified to play for England so it's not really relevant.

However FWIW there are a lot of good Irish born young players of Nigerian descent currently coming through the Irish youth systems. Some are choosing to play for Ireland, some want to play for Nigeria, others are undecided. Obviously I'd prefer them to play for Ireland but I wish them all the best regardless of which country they choose.

That’s fair enough, if someone is brought up in a country regardless of where born then of course you want to play for that country you’ve grown up on, with your friends and life.

McGeady was born in Scotland, grew up in Scotland, lived in Scotland, played for a Scottish football club yet decided he wanted to play for Ireland. Yet nobody should have an issue with that? His link was his parents parents and singing party songs at Parkhead. That’s all. Summer holidays too. How the **** is that being a patriot?

Frankhfc
13-12-2019, 12:09 AM
That’s fair enough, if someone is brought up in a country regardless of where born then of course you want to play for that country you’ve grown up on, with your friends and life.

McGeady was born in Scotland, grew up in Scotland, lived in Scotland, played for a Scottish football club yet decided he wanted to play for Ireland. Yet nobody should have an issue with that? His link was his parents parents and singing party songs at Parkhead. That’s all. Summer holidays too. How the **** is that being a patriot?

It was his choice ultimately. I see where you're coming from though as it's open to argument.

DetroitHibs
13-12-2019, 03:25 AM
I’d give him a six month deal until the end of the season. See what he’s got.

Baader
13-12-2019, 04:33 AM

Give it up mate. It was his call. Not yours. Or should he have checked in with you first? Hibs are an inclusive club founded by immigrants, tolerant of all, judgemental of none (except Jambos maybe.)

If you didn't manage to vote BNP or Brexit Party or Tory or whoever else uses rhetoric like 'traitor' today then that's up to you. My kids are half Scottish, half English, part Irish, and have German passports. They could play for any of them. Might need to seek your approval if any of them ever get really good at football.

bigwheel
13-12-2019, 05:29 AM

Who cares...how Australian is Boyle? How Albanian is Kamberi ? It’s just a football decision...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dalianwanda
13-12-2019, 06:08 AM
Who cares...how Australian is Boyle? How Albanian is Kamberi ? It’s just a football decision...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly......nationality isn’t a biological thing..It’s something created & decided by people.

J-C
13-12-2019, 06:17 AM

Haha, it doesn't in this case, mathematically it does but not in your genealogy, you cannot add 2 granddads and make you half Irish, you can only be half Irish if one of your parents are Irish, both McGeady's Parents are Scottish, this makes him 100% Scottish.

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 06:23 AM

What about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish? I know they were both brought up in England but both played under age internationals with Ireland. In terms of Mcgeady of course it was his choice however as a Scotsman it was disappointing to me that talents like Mcgeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland rather than the country they were born and brought up in especially given our lack of talent pool. Their decision was years ago though so time to move on.

Bristolhibby
13-12-2019, 06:53 AM
What about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish? I know they were both brought up in England but both played under age internationals with Ireland. In terms of Mcgeady of course it was his choice however as a Scotsman it was disappointing to me that talents like Mcgeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland rather than the country they were born and brought up in especially given our lack of talent pool. Their decision was years ago though so time to move on.

My kids are born and grow up in England. I’d be the most proud parent in the world if they chose to play for Scotland.

It’s not all black and white. My boys are massive Scotland fans, despite having English accents.

J

TimeForHeroes16
13-12-2019, 07:02 AM
What’s the difference between Ireland and Wales like? Both would be turning their back on their country. In fact the only difference is there’s no a football club in Scotland who consider themselves welsh and who’s support would rather wales win than Scotland.
Not to get to technical but the difference between Wales and Ireland is Ireland are actually a country where as Wales are not a country they are Principality

JimBHibees
13-12-2019, 07:11 AM
My kids are born and grow up in England. I’d be the most proud parent in the world if they chose to play for Scotland.

It’s not all black and white. My boys are massive Scotland fans, despite having English accents.

J

Totally agree my brother has 2 sons also who have stayed in England all their life and they are the same.

Tyler Durden
13-12-2019, 07:22 AM
We’re averaging 2 goals a game for about the last dozen matches. A winger is not what we need in January.

Barman Stanton
13-12-2019, 07:24 AM
We’re averaging 2 goals a game for about the last dozen matches. A winger is not what we need in January.

No, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt sign a winger if one comes available that would improve our team.

sambajustice
13-12-2019, 07:42 AM
So if Aiden McGeadys kid is fathered by him and a Scottish lassie, because his (Aidens) mum and dad are Scottish (fact) the kids 100% Scottish but Aiden himself is 50% Irish aye because his dads parents are Irish?

I’m out this convo’ McGeady is a Celtic minded, kiddy on Irish traitor and past his best.

Hibs should definitely stop signing Catholics...

SideBurns
13-12-2019, 07:51 AM

By apparently missing my point, you then go on to help reinforce it. Thanks.

CorrieHibs
13-12-2019, 08:28 AM
McGeady chose Ireland to represent his Irish Grandad. So, he could be proud of his grandson. No harm in that.
McCarthy chose Ireland, because Scotland repeatedly overlooked him at youth level.
McTominay chose Scotland to represent his Scottish Dad. None of us are complaining about that.

Are we going to boo Celtics new wonder kid for choosing England over Scotland?

End of the day it’s up to the individual and what country they feel more passionately about. Or what nation gives them the best chance of being chosen to represent.

P.S I don’t want Hibs to sign McGeady.

Since452
13-12-2019, 09:31 AM
I like turtles

Gmack7
13-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Islam Feruz chose Scotland and I'll be forever grateful

sean04
13-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Unless mcgeady is willing to take 25k a week wage cut he isn’t coming to Easter road

Allant1981
13-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Some very weird posts on here, a traitor!! He didnt go out and give out state secrets to the kgb, he chose to play for another country at football. If he did sign for us and helped win us a cup or get us into europe then all these posters who are getting ridiculously annoyed would no doubt be delighted

SMAXXA
13-12-2019, 09:46 AM
Unless mcgeady is willing to take 25k a week wage cut he isn’t coming to Easter road

Like Ambrose, commons, McNulty etc aye

mim
13-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Not to get to technical but the difference between Wales and Ireland is Ireland are actually a country where as Wales are not a country they are Principality

Not so. Wales is a country. The Principality of Wales was a part of the country a few centuries ago.

HFC93
13-12-2019, 09:57 AM
He would be a fantastic signing! Some oddballs on here.

sean04
13-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Like Ambrose, commons, McNulty etc aye

Efe wouldn’t have been on 30k a week at Celtic plus his family were settled in Scotland so made sense for him to stay here. Commons was at the end of his career and had a chance to play some football and help Lennon out. McNulty is an Edinburgh boy and his wages would’ve been made up but reading. Mcgeady will have options in English championship

SMAXXA
13-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Efe wouldn’t have been on 30k a week at Celtic plus his family were settled in Scotland so made sense for him to stay here. Commons was at the end of his career and had a chance to play some football and help Lennon out. McNulty is an Edinburgh boy and his wages would’ve been made up but reading. Mcgeady will have options in English championship

None are reasons to say it won’t happen and he wouldn’t want to move back to Scotland though as you say those mentioned had 3 different scenarios but all ended up doing the same thing and coming to Hibs. If the player wants it to happen generally it can be done

ancient hibee
13-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Given that he is still a reasonable player and that Sunderland are desperate to get promoted I am more concerned about why he has been kicked out of the squad.

Smartie
13-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Given that he is still a reasonable player and that Sunderland are desperate to get promoted I am more concerned about why he has been kicked out of the squad.

He's not been playing well recently, even if he is still accepted to be a good player.

I don't think he's really taken to their new manager - he seems to be a bit like that. Loved Grayson, signed from Preston to play under him, took the huff under Coleman and was very critical of him on the Netflix documentary. Loved Jack Ross and had a real purple patch under him then signed a new contract to stay there. Since Ross left he's been in the cream puff.

He sounds like he's pretty high maintenance, Sunderland have dressing room issues and they have a manager who likes a particular type of character playing for him.

I think there have been a few recent flashpoints - he's questioned the manager once or twice in front of the other players and it hasn't gone down well.

The best reason sounds hilarious tbh. He was snapped in a McDonalds with Chris Maguire a few weeks ago after a bad result - a bit like a Hibs player being snapped up George Street after a bad result, and it led to a bit of a meltdown amongst the fans about their professionalism (Maguire gets a bit of abuse for being out of shape). Some of the other players piled McDonalds boxes up around his locker for a joke, he chucked a strop and it led to another battle amongst the players.

Surrounded by the right players and under the right manager I think he'd be fine, but he sounds like a right deva to me and would be a risk.

essexhibee
13-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Reading their forum the rumour is that he has been (along with Maguire) bullying younger players and is unfit. Caused a dressing room split.

Unseen work
13-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Reading their forum the rumour is that he has been (along with Maguire) bullying younger players and is unfit. Caused a dressing room split.

Im always very sceptical of “bullying” comments when younger ones say that’s what the older ones are doing

Back when Mcgeady was a youngster it was part and parcel of being a youth player that you would take a bit of stick, banter or whatever you want to call it from the senior pros whether it was Lennon, Sutton, Thompson or Hartson.

A lot of these players are now saying this is missing from the game and younger ones have it too easy and there is no respect. If you watch Simon Ferry interviews most of them seem to agree on this.

I also think Mcgeady will be a man of high standards and won’t be scared to tell people when they aren’t reaching those - which some won’t like.

DetroitHibs
13-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Im always very sceptical of “bullying” comments when younger ones say that’s what the older ones are doing

Back when Mcgeady was a youngster it was part and parcel of being a youth player that you would take a bit of stick, banter or whatever you want to call it from the senior pros whether it was Lennon, Sutton, Thompson or Hartson.

A lot of these players are now saying this is missing from the game and younger ones have it too easy and there is no respect. If you watch Simon Ferry interviews most of them seem to agree on this.

I also think Mcgeady will be a man of high standards and won’t be scared to tell people when they aren’t reaching those - which some won’t like.

Nearly every one of the older generation talk about how it helped them become the players they were. This generation of players are far too soft.

Barman Stanton
13-12-2019, 02:17 PM
Nearly every one of the older generation talk about how it helped them become the players they were. This generation of players are far too soft.

The class on 92 goes quite into depth about all that. Certainly didnt do them any harm.

Since452
13-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Time moves on

The 90+2
13-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Give it up mate. It was his call. Not yours. Or should he have checked in with you first? Hibs are an inclusive club founded by immigrants, tolerant of all, judgemental of none (except Jambos maybe.)

If you didn't manage to vote BNP or Brexit Party or Tory or whoever else uses rhetoric like 'traitor' today then that's up to you. My kids are half Scottish, half English, part Irish, and have German passports. They could play for any of them. Might need to seek your approval if any of them ever get really good at football.

Where have I said I wouldn’t like any race or religion playing for Hibernian? Name one single time. Why would I have voted for the BNP or Tory when I’m a nationalist? Probably best to stop making fabricated lies and assumptions. Your kids can play for whoever they like, why would I care? Unless it effects the football club or nation I support them I couldn’t give a ****.

Martin Boyle, Kamberi are completely different situations, they have been overlooked by their national sides and decided to sample international football for another country, I don’t think Boyle is a proud Aussie or Flo’ is suddenly Albanian. Similarly there’s no issue with Owen Coyle or Ray Houghton choosing to play for Ireland when deemed not good enough for Scotland. I wouldn’t even pass judgement on a footballer born in one country and brought up in another deciding to play for whoever he likes. It’s the actual fact that the player in question was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, lived in Scotland his whole life, was wanted by Scotland to play football for us and decided to play for a foreign country he’s never lived in or born in or to make his parents proud as they where from that country. How the **** that makes me racist or anti catholic I’ve genuinely no idea but that’s me out this conversation of a past it trouble making player that even Celtic fans don’t like anymore. Give me Stokesy back any day of the week, oh no, that won’t suit some people stereotyping me incorrectly.

Kato
13-12-2019, 02:38 PM
I like turtles

It's the shells man, textured but still smooth. Unique sensation.

HoboHarry
13-12-2019, 03:00 PM
I like turtles
Me anaw. Box turtles in particular, they live around me and don't spend much time in the water. I think they have identity issues.

PeeKay
13-12-2019, 03:13 PM
……. Don't spend much time in the water.

traitors!

Topographic Hibby
13-12-2019, 03:46 PM
I like turtlesYeah, but they spoiled Frank Zappa records in the early 70s....:rolleyes:

The Modfather
13-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Yeah, but they spoiled Frank Zappa records in the early 70s....:rolleyes:

Happy Together is a classic album though.

Lago
13-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Can't be bothered with some of the absolute nonsense I'm reading on here, and before someone says it, I won't be back to read more guff.

basehibby
13-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Can't be bothered with some of the absolute nonsense I'm reading on here, and before someone says it, I won't be back to read more guff.

:agree: I can quite understand why you've turtley had enough.

lapsedhibee
13-12-2019, 04:32 PM
Totally agree my brother has 2 sons also who have stayed in England all their life and they are the same.

In Scotland they would be called "twins".

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2019, 04:34 PM
I'm never eating potatoes again, **** the irish, that will teach them.

HoboHarry
13-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Breathe big yin - it Christmas...... :wink:

SideBurns
13-12-2019, 05:18 PM
There are some on here who probably don't even like cucumber. Mind you, I know a Celtic supporter who hates cucumber so it's probably a bad example. I'm not even sure they grow cucumbers in Ireland. Just forget it.

HoboHarry
13-12-2019, 05:20 PM
There are some on here who probably don't even like cucumber. Mind you, I know a Celtic supporter who hates cucumber so it's probably a bad example. I'm not even sure they grow cucumbers in Ireland. Just forget it.
I do, it's onions that are an abomination. They ruin everything.

ancient hibee
13-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Grits are pretty bad.

MB62
13-12-2019, 05:29 PM

I think cucumber are English not Irish. We're they not made in Sandwich? :greengrin

HoboHarry
13-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Grits are pretty bad.
Like a really bad version of semolina :greengrin

ancient hibee
13-12-2019, 05:32 PM
Like a really bad version of semolina :greengrin

When I was on the train in your part of the world they were on the menu but fortunately I'd tasted them a few years earlier.

HoboHarry
13-12-2019, 05:37 PM
When I was on the train in your part of the world they were on the menu but fortunately I'd tasted them a few years earlier.
I generally have the server choose my food for me in restaurants so I occasionally end up eating the stuff, not inedible but a reeeeaaalllllyyyyyy long way from Haute Cuisine :greengrin

basehibby
13-12-2019, 08:14 PM
I generally have the server choose my food for me in restaurants so I occasionally end up eating the stuff, not inedible but a reeeeaaalllllyyyyyy long way from Haute Cuisine :greengrin

You're doing it all wrong - you're supposed to have it cauld

Cardinal G
13-12-2019, 08:58 PM

Attitude it seems. Also he was a massive fan of Ross but clashed with Parkinson.
Having watched him here at Sunderland I really hope he doesn't end up at Hibs, talent is not in doubt but only when he wants to and most definetly isn't a team player.
Seems his mate Chris Maguire may be joining him in leaving in January.

Cardinal G
13-12-2019, 09:00 PM
He's not been playing well recently, even if he is still accepted to be a good player.

I don't think he's really taken to their new manager - he seems to be a bit like that. Loved Grayson, signed from Preston to play under him, took the huff under Coleman and was very critical of him on the Netflix documentary. Loved Jack Ross and had a real purple patch under him then signed a new contract to stay there. Since Ross left he's been in the cream puff.

He sounds like he's pretty high maintenance, Sunderland have dressing room issues and they have a manager who likes a particular type of character playing for him.

I think there have been a few recent flashpoints - he's questioned the manager once or twice in front of the other players and it hasn't gone down well.

The best reason sounds hilarious tbh. He was snapped in a McDonalds with Chris Maguire a few weeks ago after a bad result - a bit like a Hibs player being snapped up George Street after a bad result, and it led to a bit of a meltdown amongst the fans about their professionalism (Maguire gets a bit of abuse for being out of shape). Some of the other players piled McDonalds boxes up around his locker for a joke, he chucked a strop and it led to another battle amongst the players.

Surrounded by the right players and under the right manager I think he'd be fine, but he sounds like a right deva to me and would be a risk.

The strop he threw because of Macdonalds boxes is true, mind I have to say I do find it quite amusing.
Especially so if rumours of him being a bit of a bully with junior players are true.

EI255
13-12-2019, 10:04 PM
If he signs a short term deal until the summer I think that could work for us, and Aiden. Could be the difference between European football or not....

Jist sayin likesay

HoboHarry
13-12-2019, 10:07 PM
You're doing it all wrong - you're supposed to have it cauld

Cauld grits? That's just nasty.....😜

Nicho87
13-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Pay as your fit deal would work, short term deal. Mcgeady would still do some damage in this league. Yes from me.

Cocaine&Caviar
14-12-2019, 07:38 AM
Apologies if already mentioned, but does he still play wide with his advancing years or central?

mayo hibee
14-12-2019, 10:24 AM

I have no issue with Grealish and Rice playing for England if that's who they prefer to play with. They qualify for both countries so they have the choice. As did Harry Kane and Wayne Rooney among others. To be fair to them it's common enough for a player to jump about nationalities at underage level, nationality is not always as clear cut as a lot of people think. Especially in Ireland where everyone born on the island qualifies for both ROI and NI, and a huge number of people in the UK qualify to play for Ireland, you get a lot of switching about.

The only issue I would have personally is that Rice accepted senior caps with us. Fair enough, he was young, but I think once you are capped at senior level for a country that should be it. However that's just my opinion and it's not what the rules say.

Grealish would have 30 caps by now if he stayed with Ireland. He's uncapped for England despite switching. However if he feels more English he was right to switch and I am glad he did so before he won any senior caps for Ireland.

mayo hibee
14-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Martin Boyle, Kamberi are completely different situations, they have been overlooked by their national sides and decided to sample international football for another country, I don’t think Boyle is a proud Aussie or Flo’ is suddenly Albanian. Similarly there’s no issue with Owen Coyle or Ray Houghton choosing to play for Ireland when deemed not good enough for Scotland. I wouldn’t even pass judgement on a footballer born in one country and brought up in another deciding to play for whoever he likes. It’s the actual fact that the player in question was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, lived in Scotland his whole life, was wanted by Scotland to play football for us and decided to play for a foreign country he’s never lived in or born in or to make his parents proud as they where from that country. How the **** that makes me racist or anti catholic I’ve genuinely no idea but that’s me out this conversation of a past it trouble making player that even Celtic fans don’t like anymore. Give me Stokesy back any day of the week, oh no, that won’t suit some people stereotyping me incorrectly.

Your argument now seems to be that it would have been fine for McGeady to play for Ireland if he was *****, but it's not OK because he is a good player? Your position seems very inconsistent on this.

The 90+2
14-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Your argument now seems to be that it would have been fine for McGeady to play for Ireland if he was *****, but it's not OK because he is a good player? Your position seems very inconsistent on this.

No, it’s pretty straightforward - if a player wants to play internationally for another country if not selected, nah forget it.

Hopefully we get Dylan from Sunderland.