PDA

View Full Version : Back Door To Euros Opening

hibbyfraelibby
09-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Russia has just been banned from all competitions in all sports for the next 4 years after failing WADA investigation.

CallumLaidlaw
09-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Russia has just been banned from all competitions in all sports for the 4 years after failing WADA investigation.

They’ll still be at the Euros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we are hibs
09-12-2019, 10:53 AM
All competitions apart from football.

hibbyfraelibby
09-12-2019, 10:58 AM
All competitions apart from football.

Including football

easty
09-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Including football

but not Euro 2020

Scorrie
09-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Including football

The World Cup but not the euros unfortunately

danhibees1875
09-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Including football but not the Euros as it's not considered major enough.

As far as inventive ways to not qualify go, Scotland have aced it again.

hibbyfraelibby
09-12-2019, 11:00 AM
The World Cup but not the euros unfortunately

So it seems...UEFA competition excluded as not "major" enough

we are hibs
09-12-2019, 11:04 AM
UEFA should be banning them themselves. A joke if they allow them to take part but they arent allowed to take part in the world cup 2 years later because it comes under a different organisation (FIFA) hosting the tournement.

Craig_HFC
09-12-2019, 11:04 AM
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that St Petersburg is one of the host cities of Euro 2020...

JimBHibees
09-12-2019, 11:25 AM
UEFA should be banning them themselves. A joke if they allow them to take part but they arent allowed to take part in the world cup 2 years later because it comes under a different organisation (FIFA) hosting the tournement.

Agree totally they should be banned from the Euros if it is a global ban. No doubt UEFA won't do that though. Even more embarrassing was them hosting the World cup last year when no doubt a lot of this evidence would have been known.

The 90+2
09-12-2019, 11:27 AM
I'm sure it's just a coincidence that St Petersburg is one of the host cities of Euro 2020...

Or that they got caught up in bungs with Platini getting them the last WC.

jacomo
09-12-2019, 11:32 AM

If UEFA had any integrity then that is what they would do.

If...

Monts
09-12-2019, 11:33 AM
If UEFA had any integrity then that is what they would do.

If...

:agree:

They will only see the bottom line, and banning them would cost money

Hibs4185
09-12-2019, 11:47 AM
I’m not a fan of launching petitions and making a song and a dance, but surely our politicians and football authorities should be campaigning for the ban to apply to the Euros as well so we gain entry?

If pressure was applied then it would be very difficult for UEFA not to follow suit

hibby rae
09-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Be interesting to see if UEFA releases a statement or if any media outlets approach them for comment.

Obviously recent news so probably a bit early.

cabbageandribs1875
09-12-2019, 12:11 PM
surely some doping going on in the Norway and Serbian teams

Since452
09-12-2019, 12:15 PM
Ach the Euros is a diddy cup anyway

lord bunberry
09-12-2019, 12:54 PM
So it’s fine for them to cheat at European, but not at world level. What a joke.

rotherhamrob
09-12-2019, 01:06 PM
So any uefa competition is not major enough but when the champions league is on no European league can televise top league matches?
Load of bollocks.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Oh, those Russians

Cataplana
09-12-2019, 01:22 PM
I’m not a fan of launching petitions and making a song and a dance, but surely our politicians and football authorities should be campaigning for the ban to apply to the Euros as well so we gain entry?

If pressure was applied then it would be very difficult for UEFA not to follow suit

I think "to uphold sporting integrity" scans a lot better. :greengrin:greengrin

neil7908
09-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Ridiculous to say no to the World Cup but yes to the Euros!

thebakerboy
09-12-2019, 02:29 PM
The ban is for global competitions and not regional , so quite simple really nothing about the stature of the competition but Euros are not Global.

Michael
09-12-2019, 02:33 PM
The ban is for global competitions and not regional , so quite simple really nothing about the stature of the competition but Euros are not Global.

I guess drugs don't have any impact of you're competing regionally.

Since452
09-12-2019, 02:46 PM
We've had our back door opened a few times over the last 20 odd years so nice if one were to open for us

Perd Hapley
09-12-2019, 03:27 PM

I mean there's a very strong argument to be made. Will be interesting to see how the story develops but somehow I can foresee the dark forces of UEFA pulling every excuse out the bag for it to be a regretful inevitability that Russia play. If other FAs could lend their support then pressure could build but I'm not sure it's in anyone's best interest but ours to kick that particular hornet's nest - which other nations would be staking a claim for inclusion in Russia's place anyway?

Not to worry anyway, the national mood is bound to devolve into the usual navel-gazing emotional crisis state after we get pumped by Israel - can we give Ofir a nice bonus to debelop a nasty cold come that game? It'll be nice in a way to have someone to hate other than England at the tournament though - TBF has there been any actual evidence of doping with the Russian football team in particular?

Purple & Green
09-12-2019, 05:23 PM
If Russia are banned from the World Cup, presumably they won't be part of qualifying - but the draw for qualifying won't be made until the conclusion of the nations league, so that would be November 2020 at the earliest. That's pretty convenient instead of say being drawn prior to the euros next year.

Purple & Green
09-12-2019, 05:30 PM
TBF has there been any actual evidence of doping with the Russian football team in particular?

Circumstantially, the sudden improvement of their team raised suspicions with their best performance since the Soviet Union days.

More crucially, the measurable athletic performance of their players was suspicious - in the group games three of their players covered more ground than every other player in the tournament. Implausible.

lord bunberry
09-12-2019, 06:39 PM
It’s an absolute scandal that they’ve not been kicked out of the Euros. If they compete it’s basically condoning cheating. A team that was absolutely dire has suddenly turned into a major force without having a lot of new players coming through. The European Championship isn’t some tinpot regional tournament, it’s second in importance and prestige only to the World Cup and one of the teams competing have been found to be doping. That big guy they have up front is built like no other footballer I’ve seen before.

ian cruise
09-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Circumstantially, the sudden improvement of their team raised suspicions with their best performance since the Soviet Union days.

More crucially, the measurable athletic performance of their players was suspicious - in the group games three of their players covered more ground than every other player in the tournament. Implausible.

Where are you seeing this? That is a wild stat.

Purple & Green
09-12-2019, 10:24 PM
Where are you seeing this? That is a wild stat.

This I believe is over the whole tournament - 32 teams - all games 22786

ian cruise
09-12-2019, 10:38 PM

Thanks

FilipinoHibs
09-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Can "we all write to UEFA?

Perd Hapley
09-12-2019, 11:43 PM

That is pretty damning actually - 3 of the top 4 and 5 of the top 8. I hope Clarke is printing that out for dressing room motivation when it comes to Israel. If I knew that I'd been sent out to die against cheats and denied progress to the nation's first tournament in two decades because of it I'd be absolutely livid

lord bunberry
10-12-2019, 12:02 AM
It’s an absolute disgrace that this is being allowed to happen. They’re drug cheats that beat us home and away. Thats 6 points that a team that hadn’t been taking drugs would definitely have got. Outrageous.

iwasthere1972
10-12-2019, 12:26 AM
I'm still waiting on Hibs appealing the decision to allow Don Revie to stand on the pitch during the penalty shoot was being taken in the UEFA Cup in 1973.