PDA

View Full Version : Steven Thomson

Cabbage-Patch
08-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Listening to him on Sportscene god his love of the Rangers is sickening. Yes they were unlucky today but they LOST. He is so bitter when they and his beloved St Mirren lose talking down the teams who beat them offering every excuse under the sun.

Dry your eyes you sanctimonious twat😭😂

JoeT
08-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Never seen him as a loyal hun sympathiser.... to be fair the goal was offside. I didn't see much of the game and they say The Rangers were better. No issue with his demeanor from me

Ray_
08-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Listening to him on Sportscene god his love of the Rangers is sickening. Yes they were unlucky today but they LOST. He is so bitter when they and his beloved St Mirren lose talking down the teams who beat them offering every excuse under the sun.

Didn't see that myself, thought he was his usually impartial self when giving his opinion and any leaning he has are very obviously for St Mirren but even for them he doesn't dress it up.

The 90+2
08-12-2019, 08:50 PM
He’s one of the good guys. He’s in no way shape or form
A hun either.

Cat Stanton
08-12-2019, 10:28 PM

He's fine. Always quite fair. Said nothing tonight that wasn't accurate re. that game.

Let go of your anger...

we are hibs
08-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Hes a ***** pundit.

DarlingtonHibee
08-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Hes a ***** pundit.

Ffs....

He's alright.

CMurdoch
08-12-2019, 11:29 PM
FFS, even a nice guy like Steven Thomson gets it tight from online throbbers :confused:
Too much unnecessary anger in the world.

Baader
09-12-2019, 12:50 AM
Usually find him to be pretty decent and fair. But "It would've been nice for Rangers to have won the cup today"?? Piss poor.

Ray_
09-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Usually find him to be pretty decent and fair. But "It would've been nice for Rangers to have won the cup today"?? Piss poor.

Give it a rest, we might not be of that opinion but we are not paid to give an impartial view, rangers deserved more from the game and if it was any other team except from maybe hearts, nobody on here would have blinked an eyelid with that comment.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 06:32 AM
I can understand the point the OP is trying to make a nice enough guy but his leanings are St Mirren and The Rangers in that order not a great pundit imo apart from that impartial :greengrin

Michael Stewart on the other hand great pundit calls it as he sees it leanings HIBS then Hearts even although I fear he may be a Jambo

:cb

Diclonius
09-12-2019, 06:34 AM
I can understand the point the OP is trying to make a nice enough guy but his leanings are St Mirren and The Rangers in that order not a great pundit imo apart from that impartial :greengrin

Michael Stewart on the other hand great pundit calls it as he sees it leanings HIBS then Hearts even although I fear he may be a Jambo

:cb

Stewart's a Hearts fan but also likes us.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 06:43 AM
:agree:

Hates Potter but he gone

Jim44
09-12-2019, 06:45 AM
I can take him or leave him. He doesn’t hide his favouritism/s but his punditry/reporting is usually accurate. I was quite surprised to hear him, at the weekend, saying that football doen’t excite him any more, he rarely watches football at home and rarely goes to matches ( except for the occasional one where he is working, I presume ). Richard Gordon was tickled pink at his remarks.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 06:48 AM
I can take him or leave him. He doesn’t hide his favouritism/s but his punditry/reporting is usually accurate. I was quite surprised to hear him, at the weekend, saying that football doen’t excite him any more, he rarely watches football at home and rarely goes to matches ( except for the occasional one where he is working, I presume ). Richard Gordon was tickled pink at his remarks.
:agree:

Been quoted on here as saying that before sees it as a job not really interested in football

bigwheel
09-12-2019, 06:50 AM
A pundits quality on here is usually judged by whether they like us or we agree with their views.... as opposed to if they are any good at their job [emoji2][emoji106]

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 06:57 AM
A pundits quality on here is usually judged by whether they like us or we agree with their views.... as opposed to if they are any good at their job [emoji2][emoji106]
Think it fair to say that Michael Stewart often disagrees with Steven Thomson’s views

Regular viewers will back that up

.Sean.
09-12-2019, 08:14 AM
I think Stewart is as much Hibs as he is Hearts now. Don’t think he actively supports either, he’d just prefer to see both Edinburgh sides alright

we are hibs
09-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Ffs....

He's alright.

Dont know what your ffs at.

Are you going to tell me ive never done any punditry work so not allowed an opinion? Thats your usual line of utter pish.

FilipinoHibs
09-12-2019, 08:21 AM
He was on Off the Ball and makes uncontrollable animal noises. Hinted it is a form of Turrets. Came across as a really nice guy and a Saint. Went through the SJM spearing incident but still friends. Quite a comedian which has cost him with some managers. Like Stewart and unlike most of BBC's pundits is intelligent.

we are hibs
09-12-2019, 08:22 AM
FFS, even a nice guy like Steven Thomson gets it tight from online throbbers :confused:

Being a nice guy doesnt make you a good pundit. Hes a complete waste of airtime. Michael Stewart usually analyses most games because he can and wants to and he sits there and chips in with the odd bit of worthless soundbites. He also admits himself he doesnt care much about football so why do we have to sit and listen to him give his opinion on a sport and games he isnt even arsed about?

Cataplana
09-12-2019, 08:22 AM

Thommo was on telly the other day and admitted to being a SEVCONIAN.

Weegreenman
09-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Thommo & Stewart are two of the best pundits on the tele for me. Tell it how it is.
Although the constant sly wee digs dressed up as banter can be slightly irritating.

JimBHibees
09-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Being a nice guy doesnt make you a good pundit. Hes a complete waste of airtime. Michael Stewart usually analyses most games because he can and wants to and he sits there and chips in with the odd bit of worthless soundbites. He also admits himself he doesnt care much about football so why do we have to sit and listen to him give his opinion on a sport and games he isnt even arsed about?

Valid point don't mind him to be honest though seems a very strange thing to say.

matty_f
09-12-2019, 09:22 AM

*sounds irony claxon*

matty_f
09-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Give it a rest, we might not be of that opinion but we are not paid to give an impartial view, rangers deserved more from the game and if it was any other team except from maybe hearts, nobody on here would have blinked an eyelid with that comment.

He's not paid to be impartial either.

jeffers
09-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Never mind his punditry, a suit jacket, with matching waistcoat and shirt and tie worn with skinny jeans ! What’s that all about ?

Renfrew_Hibby
09-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Steven is no hun. He played for them and most ex pros retain a fondness, to varying extents, for the various clubs they played for.

I can assure you he is a Paisley Buddie and that alone.

Him and Stewart are no comedy duo also.

Cataplana
09-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Never mind his punditry, a suit jacket, with matching waistcoat and shirt and tie worn with skinny jeans ! What’s that all about ?

I heard he drinks skinny latte, has a pug and is a big fan of craft beer.

JimBHibees
09-12-2019, 10:26 AM
*sounds irony claxon*

:greengrin

Gypsy King
09-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Hes a ***** pundit.

Steven Thompson is an absolute weapon.

Anyone that disagrees is an absolute weapon

hibby rae
09-12-2019, 10:53 AM
I like him and Stewart. Two of the best, most modern and intelligent pundits in the UK, certainly in Scotland.

I never detect any bias towards Rangers (out of all the clubs he played for he made the least number of appearances for them) and never find his love for St Mirren hinders his analysis, unlike what you might get from Allan Preston or Willie Miller, and he was very complimentary towards us over the weekend.

He's also a strong proponent of the women's game here which can only be a good thing. Also understand why he'd rather watch golf or tennis in his spare time when the bulk of his working life is watching football.

Also a fan of most of his dress sense 😂 Still waiting for the day Mikey Stwewart wears a cravat!

MB62
09-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Steven is no hun. He played for them and most ex pros retain a fondness, to varying extents, for the various clubs they played for.

I can assure you he is a Paisley Buddie and that alone.

Him and Stewart are no comedy duo also.

Whilst I don't mind Stewart, I can't be bothered with his smarmy wee battle he seems to have with Thomson. He always want to interrupt with some wee smart rsed quip, which I find irritating, just stick to giving your opinion on the game we have just seen.

hibby rae
09-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Whilst I don't mind Stewart, I can't be bothered with his smarmy wee battle he seems to have with Thomson. He always want to interrupt with some wee smart rsed quip, which I find irritating, just stick to giving your opinion on the game we have just seen.

You might want to avoid Monday night's Sportsound with Kenny McIntyre then 😂 Although tbf I find McIntyre to be a **** stirrer and he really boils my piss, so I side with Stewart on that one.

Lago
09-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Didn't see that myself, thought he was his usually impartial self when giving his opinion and any leaning he has are very obviously for St Mirren but even for them he doesn't dress it up.
I would agree.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-12-2019, 11:28 AM
I don't like his beard.

SquashedFrogg
09-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Don't mind the guy tbh. Didn't really seem up nor down discussing yesterday's cup final result.

Always find him quite honest in his assessments.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

superfurryhibby
09-12-2019, 11:50 AM

I think that applies to anyone over the age of 12 that uses that phrase:na na:

The 90+2
09-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Don't mind the guy tbh. Didn't really seem up nor down discussing yesterday's cup final result.

Always find him quite honest in his assessments.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

Steven Thompson won’t give the shiniest ***** who doesn’t like him. He’s an absolute madman 😂😂

WeeRussell
09-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Not a big fan of Thompson, but it's probably accentuated by the fact he's usually next to Michael Stewart who is, like Gary Neville in England, easily on his own as the best we've got.

In my opinion.

Hibernian Verse
09-12-2019, 12:03 PM
He was waxing lyrical about Boyle and Allan...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

chrisski33
09-12-2019, 12:14 PM
No issues with Steven Thomson but wish the BBC would get rid of that off the ball rubbish, liam MacLeod and preston

matty_f
09-12-2019, 12:17 PM
No issues with Steven Thomson but wish the BBC would get rid of that off the ball rubbish, liam MacLeod and preston

Off the Ball is brilliant.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Greetings! 😂

Jones28
09-12-2019, 12:20 PM

There’s bigger issues at bbc sportsound that those three. For starters two of their main pundits ignorance of blatant sectarian bucket stirring by rangers and their choices of kit colour.

CMurdoch
09-12-2019, 12:36 PM
*sounds irony claxon*

Is that aimed at my dislike of neds?

matty_f
09-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Is that aimed at my dislike of neds?

Not at all, more the angry first sentence in your post followed by the second sentence lamenting the amount of anger in the world :greengrin

CMurdoch
09-12-2019, 12:46 PM

It feels a bit tired theses days. Same jokes for 25 years.
They tend to just ramble on unfunnily most of the time putting in minimum effort.
Prefer "View from the Terrace" these days.
Much more insightful and funny and doesnae have Tam's tasteless music in it!

CMurdoch
09-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Not at all, more the angry first sentence in your post followed by the second sentence lamenting the amount of anger in the world :greengrin

I just find it amazing that anyone could be angry enough at Steven Thomson to start a thread.
He appears to be one the most modest, balanced and pleasant guys.

Punditry is entertainment. Almost all state the blindingly obvious, if they don't have a bit of patter they bore you to death e.g. the ex players on Match of the Day.
Stewart and Thomson are more entertaining than most.

Ray_
09-12-2019, 05:56 PM
He's not paid to be impartial either.

Can't agree Matty.

ekhibee
09-12-2019, 08:38 PM

By the same token why should anybody read the pish you're coming out with?

If you'd watched Sportscene you would've seen Thomson analysing parts of the game and some great moves by Hibs, Stewart just interrupted as he often does. Stewart's alright as a pundit but it took him months to come out and say what most Hibs fans had known for months, that Heckingbottom was rotten, he spent more time babbling on about Levine and how he had the safest job in football. How did that turn out? I like his humour that doesn't mean he's more right than any of the others, or just because he likes Hibs and Hearts.

Alfred E Newman
09-12-2019, 09:03 PM

Sometimes is not bad but most of the time it's the same old 3 hours of rubbish.

Iggy Pope
09-12-2019, 09:15 PM

Brilliant? Is it ****. It’s turgid. There’s a gig in it is there?

Hiber-nation
09-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Don't know if it's me being a miserable auld bugger or that Off The Ball is just tired, dated pish but I can't listen to it these days.

Just remembered the thread is about Steven Thompson. Not a fan but it could be worse.

Since452
09-12-2019, 09:21 PM

It definitely used to be. Grew up with it before and after games in the 90's. Starting to get a bit tired now

kaimendhibs
10-12-2019, 12:53 AM
I like him. And Mikey Stewart as well

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
10-12-2019, 08:20 AM

The BBC Scotland Channel doing a documentary on Off the Ball on Wednesday 18/12/2019

Might be worth a catch up

heretoday
10-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Don't know if it's me being a miserable auld bugger or that Off The Ball is just tired, dated pish but I can't listen to it these days.

Just remembered the thread is about Steven Thompson. Not a fan but it could be worse.

Off the Ball is awful. 1970s toilet humour.