PDA

View Full Version : Should we rest players in the Celtic game.

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 01:11 PM
This isn't something I would usually advocate, but the pragmatist in me wonders if it wouldn't be a bad idea. We have our 3 toughest fixtures of the season one after the other and even with our best IX on the park the chances of getting anything at Celtic are slim at best. In view of that I wouldn't be sorry to see us start with players who have been used as subs for most of the season ... this would be my starting team.

Rocky ... just back, so the practice will do him good.

Naismith ... He's a young guy and I presume Gray and James still aren't fit enough .. I'm faster than Whittaker or I would have him at RB

Jackson ... Needs the game time.

McGregor ... If he's fit enough he always does a job for us ... if not then Porteous.

Stevenson ... As usual with left back who else is there? ... a situation Hibs have failed to address for years now.

Slivka ... Hasn't played as many 90 minute games as some.

Murray ... Has bags of energy and he needs a chance to prove he can contribute.

Newell ... If fit .. in his last few appearances he has actually shown he can get about the park.

Mallan ... If its a toss up between him or Allan against the Huns and Yams it will be Allan, so 90 mins at Celtic wont hurt him.

Hallberg ... Still getting up to speed, so the 90 minutes will do him good.

Horgan ... Has a goal in him and needs the game time.

Shaw ... Just so Kamberi and Doidge can get a rest, especially Kamberi who limped off yesterday and boy could he do with 90 minutes even if he doesn't get a sniff at goal.

I haven't quoted Vela because as things stand it looks like the East Mains tea lady has a better chance of getting a game.

Northernhibee
08-12-2019, 01:13 PM
No. A hundred times no.

We can beat them, we drew with them under Heckingbottom and we can beat them under Ross.

B.H.F.C
08-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Nope. Most important game is the next one and it cost me over £30 for a ticket. They’ve got time for a rest in January.

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Nope. Most important game is the next one and it cost me over £30 for a ticket. They’ve got time for a rest in January.

How do you know that team wont click and we get a result? :greengrin

makaveli1875
08-12-2019, 01:17 PM
id be tempted to rest Kamberi and Boyle

Billy Whizz
08-12-2019, 01:20 PM
id be tempted to rest Kamberi and Boyle

Why?

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Why?

Kamberi was apparently carrying a back injury and an ankle injury as well ... he limped off heavily yesterday.

Billy Whizz
08-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Kamberi was apparently carrying a back injury and an ankle injury as well ... he limped off heavily yesterday.

Not so good, we might change the shape at Parkhead?

ano hibby
08-12-2019, 02:22 PM

When Kamberi realised he was getting hooked yesterday i thought he manufactured a limp just to eat up more time getting off the park. Hopefully that rather than an injury.

hibee_girl
08-12-2019, 02:24 PM
When Kamberi realised he was getting hooked yesterday i thought he manufactured a limp just to eat up more time getting off the park. Hopefully that rather than an injury.

I thought the same

Since452
08-12-2019, 02:29 PM
No strongest team

hibbyfraelibby
08-12-2019, 02:37 PM
This isn't something I would usually advocate, but the pragmatist in me wonders if it wouldn't be a bad idea. We have our 3 toughest fixtures of the season one after the other and even with our best IX on the park the chances of getting anything at Celtic are slim at best. In view of that I wouldn't be sorry to see us start with players who have been used as subs for most of the season ... this would be my starting team.

Naismith ... He's a young guy and I presume Gray and James still aren't fit enough .. I'm faster than Whittaker or I would have him at RB

McGregor ... If he's fit enough he always does a job for us ... if not then Porteous.

Stevenson ... As usual with left back who else is there? ... a situation Hibs have failed to address for years now.

Newell ... If fit .. in his last few appearances he has actually shown he can get about the park.

Mallan ... If its a toss up between him or Allan against the Huns and Yams it will be Allan, so 90 mins at Celtic wont hurt him.

Shaw ... Just so Kamberi and Doidge can get a rest, especially Kamberi who limped off yesterday and boy could he do with 90 minutes even if he doesn't get a sniff at goal.

I haven't quoted Vela because as things stand it looks like the East Mains tea lady has a better chance of getting a game.

What planet are you on? We will only catch Sellik and win the league if we play our strongest team😉

wookie70
08-12-2019, 02:39 PM
No, we need our best team and to hope Celtc have an off day. They struggled against Hamilton and look honking so far today. If they lose today then that will knock them and we could benefit. Heck got hounded out of ER and one of the reasons was lack of ambition against Celtc. Surely fans don'tr won't us to throw the towel in before the first whistle.

MrRobot
08-12-2019, 03:11 PM
i’d play our strongest team available in all 3 games.

Northernhibee
08-12-2019, 03:13 PM
No. If Celtic play like this we could get a result like we did against Aberdeen. They've been absolutely atrocious today.

greenlex
08-12-2019, 03:22 PM
They’ll get a rest in January.

PPZPOL
08-12-2019, 03:32 PM

He goes through some amount of ice I know that, every game he’s taken off he has got an ice pack on some part of his anatomy. I get the feeling he likes to be that guy who everyone asks how he is and if he’ll be ok for the next game. In answer to question though, no resting of players unless someone is genuinely injured and can’t start.

hibee
08-12-2019, 03:34 PM
No thanks, they’re well paid professionals and have a winter break coming up so can just get on with it.

lyonhibs
08-12-2019, 03:49 PM
Strongest available team always. Should never have the attitude that our strongest XI don't have a chance of getting something, this isn't Brazil 1970 we're up against.

Sir David Gray
08-12-2019, 03:55 PM
Nonsense idea.

Hermit Crab
08-12-2019, 04:13 PM
I don't pay premium prices for tickets for these games to watch the under 20s take the field. Full team every week in the league.

Keith_M
08-12-2019, 04:17 PM
....even with our best IX.

The first decision I'd make is to field eleven players, not nine.

😉

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Nonsense idea.

No it isn't ... The idea of not putting out the very strongest team you can is unpalatable and I totally get that. But if we did it we would be far from the first or the last club to play the odds by doing it. Its not like I would be advocating putting out a bunch of kids either, if you check out the team I suggested not a single one of them lacks first team experience .. even Shaw and Murray have been around the first team for a good few seasons now without breaking through, imagine the boost they would get if they managed a result.

Since452
08-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Go for the jugular in the hope they're emotionally drained. Nothing to lose, we're expected to anyway

Sir David Gray
08-12-2019, 04:39 PM
No it isn't ... The idea of not putting out the very strongest team you can is unpalatable and I totally get that. But if we did it we would be far from the first or the last club to play the odds by doing it. Its not like I would be advocating putting out a bunch of kids either, if you check out the team I suggested not a single one of them lacks first team experience .. even Shaw and Murray have been around the first team for a good few seasons now without breaking through, imagine the boost they would get if they managed a result.

Putting out a weakened team against Celtic at Parkhead and practically give up before the game's even started is a nonsense idea.

If we do that and get hammered by 5 or 6, what does that do for morale?

ancient hibee
08-12-2019, 04:40 PM
No we shouldn’t.

thegaffer12
08-12-2019, 04:42 PM
8 days between games will ensure the players have energy.

DH1875
08-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Heard it all now. Hamilton pushed celtic all the way the other night and should have taken something from the game. No reason why we can't at least do the same. What kind of signal does it send out if we rested players. We might as well just all give up.

Radium
08-12-2019, 04:50 PM
No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McD
08-12-2019, 04:54 PM

might be my bad counting, isn’t this 12 players for your starting team?

great tactic btw, could work against Celtic :greengrin

hibee-boys
08-12-2019, 05:51 PM
Tough game for Celtic today, away tie in Europe next week, we've got a weeks break....we should be going there and running them into the ground from the get go. Stuff this let's rest players, great chance to have a go at them next Sunday

Chuck Rhoades
08-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Definitely not. We’ve just settled on a team and formation for the past 5 games and our confidence looks to be on the up. Celtic play away in Europe on Thursday and I genuinely fancy our chances if we play as well as Saturday and take our chances.

AZhibee
08-12-2019, 05:58 PM
No, but there should be a rotation of players that can go in and allow for rest or varying formations without dropping off, but does that exist?

Johnny Clash
08-12-2019, 06:07 PM
If Livi can beat them then so can we. We’ll need to be on our best form and ride our luck but we can win.

Since90+2
08-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Eh no.

We are Hibs, one of the biggest clubs in the country, we don't basically admit defeat before playing a game against any team in Scotland.

With all respect to the OP it's a ridiculous suggestion and one that won't even be considered.

Tully
08-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Aye I'll pay 30 quid for restricted view to see hibs field a make shift team, aye that will be right

Gmack7
08-12-2019, 08:43 PM
i think we should do the exact opposite play our strongest team and go straight for the jugular

makaveli1875
08-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Why?

Iv changed my mind , Celtic didnt look great today lets go full strength and get tore right into them

Captain Trips
08-12-2019, 10:27 PM
3 pts on table Hibs should be going for them fully every time.

Hibeesmad
09-12-2019, 02:21 AM
No we shouldn’t

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 06:10 AM
No

Celtic are there for the taking

They are a defeat waiting to happen

Maybes not against us but it will happen

It will be a great experience for our players

Hecky is gone and the days of running scared of Celtic are gone

danhibees1875
09-12-2019, 06:11 AM
I don't think it's as daft a suggestion as it's being made out to be by some, but I don't think we should do it.

Celtic aren't unbeatable by a long stretch. They won't be at full speed in their meaningless game against Cluj unfortunately, but hopefully all the players at least have to travel and it will be disruptive to their training routine. That will give us a little bit of an edge.

If anyone (Kamberi, Boyle, Allan) has a wee knock or is looking like they won't be able to play all 3 remaining games of the year afterwards, then we should consider rotating one or two, but hopefully that's not the case. :aok:

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2019, 06:28 AM
No

Celtic are there for the taking

They are a defeat waiting to happen

Maybes not against us but it will happen

It will be a great experience for our players

Hecky is gone and the days of running scared of Celtic are gone

Celtic are definitely not there for the taking. They are top of the league and have won 10 domestic trophies in a row.

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Celtic are definitely not there for the taking. They are top of the league and have won 10 domestic trophies in a row.

Almost drew 1-1 versus Hamilton at home got a fortunate winner not complaining as it brought home my acca were rank yesterday one shot on target and that was offside by a country mile their next defeat will probably come in Europe when the going gets tougher apart from that your point is caller?

:cb

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Almost drew 1-1 versus Hamilton at home got a fortunate winner not complaining as it brought home my acca were rank yesterday one shot on target and that was offside by a country mile their next defeat will probably come in Europe when the going gets tougher apart from that your point is caller?

:cb

Oh right, nvm, 3-0 Hibs then.

Celtic are absolutely not there for the taking. They put 5 past us at Hampden a month ago. I'd be delighted with a draw.

Really hope we don't lay into the team with this nonsense if we lose. If I read "we lost to a rank rotten Celtic team" or "they were there for the taking and we blew it" I might explode. They're the best team in the country and very rarely lose at home.

Since90+2
09-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Celtic are absolutely not there for the taking. They put 5 past us at Hampden a month ago. I'd be delighted with a draw.

Really hope we don't lay into the team with this nonsense if we lose. If I read "we lost to a rank rotten Celtic team" or "they were there for the taking and we blew it" I might explode. They're the best team in the country and very rarely lose at home.

Absolutely nobody had suggested laying into the team if we lose , apart from yourself.

Heckys Wheel
09-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Off topic but don’t understand why they’re away to Dublin for a piss up this weekend. Surely the time to do it is after the Livi game???

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 07:20 AM

A month is a long time in football

Anyone that knows anything football will tell you that the best indicator of future form is recent form

Looking back at the League Cup Semi Final in the run up to it we were dug#### under Hecky and Celtic were blowing everyone away

We now have Jack Ross we are on a high although it will be interesting to see what tactics he employs but my point is recently Celtic are starting to look like a Neil Lennon team lucky versus Hamilton and have the goalkeeper to thank for a fortunate Cup Final win

They will also be tired after a long trip to Cluj

They will be very much there for the taking as we will have had the benefit of a weeks rest Boyler on fire therefore no point in resting any players just go for it

Not advocating a 3-0 win but a decent fighting display win lose or draw

number9dream
09-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Certainly no need to rest players but no need to risk anyone who isn't 100% either.
Celtic will send the B team to Romania for a dead rubber, so no fatigue issue for them. And, although they've obviously not reached anywhere near their best in the last two matches, a cup win is going to give them a lift.
Can we go with the same line up as the weekend and have a go? Or would that be madness? I would worry about our left flank up against Forrest (Frimpong suspended?)
Bring in a third central defender or beef up the midfield - but who drops out after a good display?
This is where JR earns his corn and it will be interesting to see what strategy he adopts.

Captain Trips
09-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Good for them however Hibs are more than capable of beating Celtic.

SlickShoes
09-12-2019, 10:33 AM
I know Hallberg was signed later than others but how on earth do you have him down as "still getting up to speed"? It's been months!

jacomo
09-12-2019, 10:35 AM
There’s a legitimate discussion to be had about freshening up the team in one or two areas but we should be playing our strongest team, no question.

Paisley Hibby
09-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Agree with everyone who has said this is a stupid idea.

JimBHibees
09-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Agree with everyone who has said this is a stupid idea.

Especially when we have over a weeks rest.

superfurryhibby
09-12-2019, 10:45 AM
A month is a long time in football

Anyone that knows anything football will tell you that the best indicator of future form is recent form

Looking back at the League Cup Semi Final in the run up to it we were dug#### under Hecky and Celtic were blowing everyone away

We now have Jack Ross we are on a high although it will be interesting to see what tactics he employs but my point is recently Celtic are starting to look like a Neil Lennon team lucky versus Hamilton and have the goalkeeper to thank for a fortunate Cup Final win

They will also be tired after a long trip to Cluj

They will be very much there for the taking as we will have had the benefit of a weeks rest Boyler on fire therefore no point in resting any players just go for it

Not advocating a 3-0 win but a decent fighting display win lose or draw

I’m all for a fighting display but let’s not kid ourselves Billy. Recent form includes wins v Lazio, Rennes and Rangers. You’re clutching at straws saying they are starting to look like a Neil Lennon team, in fact I don’t really know what that means.

Strongest side possible from Hibs, tweaked where necessary for tactical reasons. Boyle must play and Ross must try and find a way to combat their obvious strengths. Every team has off days, Celtic included. If we can close them down quickly and avoid conceding an early goal then we will be in the game.

sean04
09-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Celtic will be back to full strength on Sunday. Certainly won’t be Lewis Morgan up front

BILLYHIBS
09-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Hear what you are saying but we need to take heart from an excellent display versus Aberdeen

Aberdeen are more than capable of going to Darkheid and getting a result and we have just pumped them so no reason why we cannot come away with a result

It will be interesting to see how JR plays this

Please do not get me wrong Celtic are an excellent side as are The Rangers but I am not totally convinced with Neil Lennon yes he has had some fine results especially versus Lazio but his last couple of games in charge fill me with hope and I am usually not optimistic when it comes to HIBS believe me

I felt Celtic looked lost without Edouard upfront yesterday and one thing it proved is that Morgan is not the answer

Christie is a tremendous prospect Forrest and MacGregor are off form and let’s not forget Lewis owns Forrest

Yes it might be another defeat but Hecky has now left the building let’s not worry about Celtic let them worry about us

ian cruise
09-12-2019, 11:24 AM
It's a great time to try get a result at Celtic Park, plus a good result could give us a boost we need to carry us through to Jan break. Alongside this the team need to be playing to get up to speed with Ross' ideas and for him to see in a match environment what we are and aren't doing well, training ground only tells a manager so much (look how often people talk about the players looking great in training whrn results aren't good), essential we stick with strongest team.

I get why the OP asked the question but now is not the time for unnecessary tinkering.

eastmainsmsh
09-12-2019, 11:31 AM
I noticed an article that Brendan Rogers
was keen on Tom James at one time along with west Brom hopefully he can kick on with Jack Ross

chrisski33
09-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Glad your not our manager!