PDA

View Full Version : How far can this Hibs team go?

Since452
08-12-2019, 09:52 AM
We play some breathtaking stuff at times but still look a bit dodgy at the back (clean sheet will help). What do we reckon? Consolidate top 6 or aim for 3rd? We've just beaten our two biggest challengers for 3rd but need consistency against the Ross County's and Hearts etc

Barney McGrew
08-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Let’s wait and see where we are come the end of the tough run of games we’ve got coming up the rest of this month. If we can pick up a couple of wins and a draw then there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be pushing for a European place.

Northernhibee
08-12-2019, 10:06 AM
The team's not nearly as bad as some suggested it was - Doidge, Newell, James all look like players for us - but it's also not a team that's going to challenge for third.

Top six, maybe a second trip to Hampden if I could be selfish would be a good return for such a poor start to the season.

Doidgey scoring a double hat trick to relegate the Yams would also be the minimum I expect.

The Modfather
08-12-2019, 10:06 AM
We play some breathtaking stuff at times but still look a bit dodgy at the back (clean sheet will help). What do we reckon? Consolidate top 6 or aim for 3rd? We've just beaten our two biggest challengers for 3rd but need consistency against the Ross County's and Hearts etc

With the current squad 5th at best but should probably make the top 6 relatively comfortably IMO.

makaveli1875
08-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Weve just beaten Aberdeen and Motherwell the 3rd and 4th place teams quite convinvingly , the real test is the next 3 games .. if we can take something from the uglies and beat Hertz were looking in decent shape for the 2nd half of the season

CallumLaidlaw
08-12-2019, 10:07 AM
With the current squad 5th at best but should probably make the top 6 relatively comfortably IMO.

Why? They’ve comfortably beaten 3rd and 4th in the last 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulSmith
08-12-2019, 10:10 AM

It was four days ago that we got beat from Ross County. We’re likely to not get any points out of the next two games and then go to Tynecastle.

Could well be a few steps back before we go forward again. We won’t catch Aberdeen or Motherwell this season that’s for sure.

Since452
08-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Aberdeen showed that Rangers have fragilities. A point or win against them would go a long way. Celtic away is almost a given unfortunately and we should be looking to beat Hearts

Leith Green
08-12-2019, 10:13 AM

You do realise that we are currently 9 points behind motherwell in 3rd and 7 points behind aberdeen in 4th having just beaten both. We have an incredibly tough run of fixtures coming up. 5th place looks about right this season i reckon , a decent result considering the first round of fixtures. Get our signings right and we should be looking at 3rd next season

Wilson
08-12-2019, 10:14 AM

We have some big games coming up. Celtic, Rangers, and Hearts. The derby result and the poor performance to Celtic in the cup typified Heckingbottom's tenure. With that in mind I'd just like to see some big performances in these games and see where that gets us. Hibs playing well and competing well in all three games is perhaps as important as any results just now.

The Modfather
08-12-2019, 10:15 AM

We’ve also thrown away a two goal lead, by all accounts were poor in Paisley and poor in a defeat at Dingwall. Depends what we do in January, but as of now I think that’s how the season will go, inconsistent. Out attacking talent seeing us winning some games, others lost to our defensive frailties.

Since452
08-12-2019, 10:16 AM
You do realise that we are currently 9 points behind motherwell in 3rd and 7 points behind aberdeen in 4th having just beaten both. We have an incredibly tough run of fixtures coming up. 5th place looks about right this season i reckon , a decent result considering the first round of fixtures. Get our signings right and we should be looking at 3rd next season

I agree actually. Think we'll be comfortably top 6 but too inconsistent to challenge for 3rd

Jones28
08-12-2019, 10:17 AM
The first test has been passed with flying colours you have to say. We will get a better idea of where we will end up after the winter break. I think 5th is realistic but we have shown we have the beating of teams both below us, around us and above us. Fifth would be good, anything more is a real bonus and bottom six would be really disappointing.

Diclonius
08-12-2019, 10:18 AM
If we sort out the defence in the January window we can try and push for 4th.

Eyrie
08-12-2019, 10:20 AM
If the season was starting today then I'd say top four.

As it is, Aberdeen and Motherwell have a big lead on us so we'd need one of them to falter if we're to finish any higher. We're in a three way fight for fifth with Kilmarnock and Livingston (compare our pre-split fixtures) but if we add a good defensive midfielder in January then we should come out on top.

Weegreenman
08-12-2019, 10:20 AM
We need to bolster the defence and our midfield before we can even consider challenging for third spot.

We’re currently a side who on their day can beat anyone but we’re also a side that is very inconsistent with players making individual errors.

ABZHFC
08-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Get the passports out! :agree:

Pretty Boy
08-12-2019, 10:27 AM
I still think 5th is realistic with the squad as it is.

A couple of decent additions in January, hopefully to offer a few alternative formations, and Europe might well be possible.

One thing is for sure we are looking upwards now rather than over our shoulder and that's a remarkable transformation in only a handful of game post Heckingbottom.

Since452
08-12-2019, 10:29 AM
I still think 5th is realistic with the squad as it is.

A couple of decent additions in January, hopefully to offer a few alternative formations, and Europe might well be possible.

One thing is for sure we are looking upwards now rather than over our shoulder and that's a remarkable transformation in only a handful of game post Heckingbottom.

Yeah it's great feeling more positive about Hibs again. Credit to Jack Ross and the players who really weren't all that bad.

Weegreenman
08-12-2019, 10:34 AM
It’s important we don’t get carried away with what was an unbelievable result against Aberdeen yesterday.
It was great to finally finish a game off in style after Eight attempts previous.
Our next three games.

Celtic
Rangers
Hearts

Tough few weeks ahead.

Speedway
08-12-2019, 10:36 AM
We need a run of wins to convince me that we’re Euro contenders but I’m still buzzing from yesterday’s result. That was something else.

Sir David Gray
08-12-2019, 10:36 AM
I can't see us finishing any higher than 5th.

We're still losing far too many goals (yesterday aside). We're playing some superb stuff going forward but if we're losing around 2 goals per game on average then it's putting a lot of pressure on the forwards to score.

Top 6 should now be a definite but I think we've given ourselves too much to do to finish in the top 4.

1van Sprou7e
08-12-2019, 10:57 AM
The league is poor this year, we are 100% capable of finishing ahead of Motherwell Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

Whether or not that happens is another story of course. I think we'll finish 4th or 5th

matty_f
08-12-2019, 11:19 AM
I don't think we've been that far away from being a good team for most of the season. Even under Hecky there weren't many games where teams dominated us, we were just lacking something to kick on - maybe the freedom and room for the players to express themselves.
Hecky's tactics held the team back, there were times where it threatened to click but it never really did.
St Johnstone away was the turning point, that was the first time really that we saw what the group of players were capable of.

Since then we've seen more good than bad, we still look capable of self destructing but we also look capable of playing at a level above our opponents at times.

There's a lot of football still to be played this season but if we can get to the split still in touch with the teams above us then a European slot isn't beyond us.

MrRobot
08-12-2019, 11:21 AM
The team's not nearly as bad as some suggested it was - Doidge, Newell, James all look like players for us - but it's also not a team that's going to challenge for third.

Top six, maybe a second trip to Hampden if I could be selfish would be a good return for such a poor start to the season.

Doidgey scoring a double hat trick to relegate the Yams would also be the minimum I expect.

He has looked extremely poor

LancsHibs
08-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Lot of football to be played yet and 9 points can quickly be chased down

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2019, 11:24 AM
I can't believe how bad the second half on Wednesday was compared to the second half yesterday. It was like Brechin against Barcelona, night and day, don't understand how we can be so off the pace one game, then dynamite the next.

Consistency is key

superfurryhibby
08-12-2019, 11:50 AM
The league is poor this year, we are 100% capable of finishing ahead of Motherwell Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

Whether or not that happens is another story of course. I think we'll finish 4th or 5th

This. We have 19 league games left, 57 points to play for.

Although the team have played poorly at times, we have remained hard to beat. The upturn in fortunes since the St Johnstone game for me are a better indicator of our standing than the hamstrung form we suffered under Heckingbottom.

Given we have a new manager, I expect to see some money being made available in January. We’ve had a history of very good January windows in recent times. It’s up to the manager to show he has the nous to make the most of this opportunity.

As is often the case, I feel we are only a few players away from being a very strong outfit. Time for a real statement of intent from the new owner. In order to maintain the current level of backing from the fans, Hibs will need to match our ambition. The business case pretty much speaks for itself. A strong second half of the season is vital.

Can Motherwell sustain the form over a whole season? I have my doubts. We can catch them.

Same with Killie, they aren’t as strong as last season and I suspect they lack the strength in depth to match us over the course of the season.

The Sheep are another matter, they have more resources and have been over the course so many times.

Onion
08-12-2019, 11:54 AM
At this stage, I don't really care. just so glad we're getting out of the mess Hecky / LD got us into, we're starting to play football again and moving up the league. Next step is to bring in a few key players and then look forward to competing at the top end.

Cataplana
08-12-2019, 11:56 AM
At this stage, I don't really care. just so glad we're getting out of the mess Hecky / LD got us into, we're starting to play football again and moving up the league. Next step is to bring in a few key players and then look forward to competing at the top end.

If LD got us into the mess, she got us out of it. The mark of a good leader is how they behave when things don't go their way.

thegaffer12
08-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Loss to Celtic all but guaranteed. Think a draw against Rangers is attainable and a win against the dodgiest of Hearts team should be a reasonable expectation!

Wakeyhibee
08-12-2019, 12:04 PM
If we can cut out the loss of points from a winning position then yes 4th is possible. As great as yesterday was, we are still Jeckyl and Hyde.

5th for me would = a good season, given the start we had.

Diclonius
08-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Loss to Celtic all but guaranteed. Think a draw against Rangers is attainable and a win against the dodgiest of Hearts team should be a reasonable expectation!

The home team has a massive bearing on who wins the derby, and they will have the new manager bounce. We'll have to pull out all the stops to get a Tynecastle win, as we always need to do.

B.H.F.C
08-12-2019, 12:08 PM
I can't believe how bad the second half on Wednesday was compared to the second half yesterday. It was like Brechin against Barcelona, night and day, don't understand how we can be so off the pace one game, then dynamite the next.

Consistency is key

Mentality.

Pre match press conference that Kamberi did on Friday he spoke about preferring playing in the big games and preferring to play at Easter Road as opposed to playing at places like Ross County, Hamilton and St Mirren.

When you look at the performance levels in the three home games as opposed to the two away games since Ross came in it’s absolutely night and day. Particularly on Wednesday, there was a distinct lack of motivation from the team in the second half.

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Mentality.

Pre match press conference that Kamberi did on Friday he spoke about preferring playing in the big games and preferring to play at Easter Road as opposed to playing at places like Ross County, Hamilton and St Mirren.

When you look at the performance levels in the three home games as opposed to the two away games since Ross came in it’s absolutely night and day. Particularly on Wednesday, there was a distinct lack of motivation from the team in the second half.

Spot on. They have to prove it at all grounds though, not just the ones they fancy.

The 90+2
08-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Ask again at New Year. The squad is imbalanced and it’s topsy turvey the now.

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Is it? I thought both Motherwell and Kilmarnock had a bit of decent play in them and if you look at some of the results going around I wouldn't say any team outside of the uglies can go into a game thinking its a 'gimmie' .. who would have foreseen Killie getting pumped 3 - 0 at Livvi yesterday for example and St Mirren are clearly better than their league position suggests.

As for us: If we can strengthen the midfield and defence then we are capable of finishing 4th, which after the start we've had would be a good effort. We have a tough schedule coming up and if it was up to me I would rest a whole bunch of vital players at Celtic park next weekend and chuck everything at the Rangers and Hearts games.

Northernhibee
08-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Is it? I thought both Motherwell and Kilmarnock had a bit of decent play in them and if you look at some of the results going around I wouldn't say any team outside of the uglies can go into a game thinking its a 'gimmie' .. who would have foreseen Killie getting pumped 3 - 0 at Livvi yesterday for example and St Mirren are clearly better than their league position suggests.

As for us: If we can strengthen the midfield and defence then we are capable of finishing 4th, which after the start we've had would be a good effort. We have a tough schedule coming up and if it was up to me I would rest a whole bunch of vital players at Celtic park next weekend and chuck everything at the Rangers and Hearts games.

**** that. We drew against them earlier this season and Lennon hasn't had too much fun against us.

wookie70
08-12-2019, 12:36 PM

As for us: If we can strengthen the midfield and defence then we are capable of finishing 4th, which after the start we've had would be a good effort. We have a tough schedule coming up and if it was up to me I would rest a whole bunch of vital players at Celtic park next weekend and chuck everything at the Rangers and Hearts games.Killie were atrocious for most of the game the other week. The worst I have seen a team play in a half at ER for a long time. They looked completely disinterested.
I thought before Heck left we would be top 6. We were nowhere near as bad as many were saying. I'm hoping for Europe now as I think we can finish above Killie and Motherwell.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2019, 12:45 PM
This current team is way too soft and not good enough to challenge for europe in my opinion. They will always win when not expected and lose similarly.

We need a few better players who are not as soft, and who lead by example.

We all have an idea who these players are that need replaced, as currently we all know we will get let down, and can probably predict which games it will be.

Great performance and result yesterday, but how much better would it have been had we also won midweek?

Saying all this, i'm very hopeful Jack Ross knows our frailties, and will try to address them.:pray:

cocteautwin
08-12-2019, 12:59 PM
3rd is attainable as 4th this season.

PeeJay
08-12-2019, 01:15 PM
The team is not consistent enough, the defence has been far too weak for us to achieve anything successful - top 6 is probably as good as it will get going on past form. Maybe Ross will manage to get them properly organised and do so on a regular basis, we'll need to wait and see. The next few weeks will be tough ...

Weegreenman
08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Lot of football to be played yet and 9 points can quickly be chased down

Next three games are.....Celtic, Rangers and Hearts. If we come out of those games with 3 or 4 points I think that would be a decent return.

we are hibs
08-12-2019, 01:17 PM
We need a similar window and 2nd half to the season as the start of 2018 to have any realistic chance of top 4 for me.

Thankfully we have done relatively well in the January window over the past couple of years so hopefully another and we can get through the rest of this month relatively unscathed. Celtic away is extremely difficult, rangers at home will be difficult but hearts and aberdeen have managed a couple of draws against them and they toiled away to livi in the cup so we are more than capable if we play like we can of winning that. Hearts at tynie is always difficult but they are pish and livi away is winnable.

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Killie were atrocious for most of the game the other week. The worst I have seen a team play in a half at ER for a long time. They looked completely disinterested.
I thought before Heck left we would be top 6. We were nowhere near as bad as many were saying. I'm hoping for Europe now as I think we can finish above Killie and Motherwell.

Indeed they were, but in the 2nd half they were a handful and played well, though I'm not denying Hibs gave them a hand.

Smartie
08-12-2019, 01:27 PM
Aberdeen might strengthen in January now they've got a few quid behind them.

There are a lot of teams bunched though and I've not seen much from any team outwith Rangers and Celtic who have looked to have the quality we have.

If we can sort out the weakness that has seen us drop so many points from winning positions then there is no good reason why we shouldn't be aiming for 3rd.

Keeping our best players fit will be key - Allan, Boyle, Kamberi and Porteous and we'll need the likes of Rocky and Kamberi to keep their dummies in for a while.

hibbyfraelibby
08-12-2019, 02:49 PM
We have to target 3rd and you do this by beating the teams above you in the league. Those games are 6 pointers.

southern hibby
08-12-2019, 03:43 PM
WE CAN BEAT Celtic. Turn up and press them from the off and it’s possible.

GGTTH

Sir David Gray
08-12-2019, 03:48 PM
Next three games are.....Celtic, Rangers and Hearts. If we come out of those games with 3 or 4 points I think that would be a decent return.

I'd bite your hand off for 4 points now if 3 of them come at Tynecastle.

3 points would do as well.

I wouldn't be surprised with 1 or 2 points.

Smartie
08-12-2019, 05:24 PM

GGTTH

I thought they were terrible today and if for any reason Edouard is missing against us then I think we might give them a tough afternoon.

Baldy Foghorn
08-12-2019, 07:38 PM

GGTTH

We were always far too passive against them under PH, lets hope JR lets us take the game to them

Keith_M
08-12-2019, 07:47 PM
One game at a time.

I'm just glad to have a team that's worth watching again.

Diclonius
08-12-2019, 07:49 PM
I'd bite your hand off for 4 points now if 3 of them come at Tynecastle.

3 points would do as well.

I wouldn't be surprised with 1 or 2 points.

Likewise, though I'd take two defeats to the OF if we won at Tynecastle.

JimBHibees
08-12-2019, 08:16 PM
We were always far too passive against them under PH, lets hope JR lets us take the game to them

I am sure we will be however we stil have defensive weaknesses. Think we will definitely score.

Cabbage-Patch
08-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Considering the start we made to the season I would be happy with a conformtable top 6 finish.

Best expectations I would say is 4th

jacomo
08-12-2019, 09:43 PM
I think 2 to 3 good additions would give us a squad which could aim for top 4. Happily some of our summer signings are now coming good.

southern hibby
08-12-2019, 10:18 PM

BF, we were too passive against most teams under Hecky. However onward and upwards.

P.S. See you Sunday.

GGTTH

Brightside
09-12-2019, 08:40 AM
I’m just commenting on this coz I’m fed up with all the hearts thread on the board!!!

Wilson
09-12-2019, 09:01 AM
I’m just commenting on this coz I’m fed up with all the hearts thread on the board!!!

Aye, not that many. A few Rangers related ones. A Sportscene one. Stephen Thomson thread. A couple related to Aberdeen (we did just play them). Aye there are some hearts threads but you're being a bit dramatic.

Since452
09-12-2019, 09:05 AM
I think Jack Ross is here for the long term. I'd take consolidating top 6 this season after the way it started and push on to be best of the rest as Ron said over the next few seasons

Greenworld
09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
I think 2 to 3 good additions would give us a squad which could aim for top 4. Happily some of our summer signings are now coming good.I agree I'd like a bit more height and bite in central midfield and if we don't have better than Paul Hanlon in the squad ( mcgregor ect) then we need to get someone.
I would imagine Vela and a few other will at least be punted on loan if not moved on free transfers.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
09-12-2019, 10:14 AM
We’re in a better position than a few months ago. Think we can all see the potential in this team, but definitely need quality reinforcements in Jan

Brightside
09-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Top 5 - with Paul Hanlon continuing as Captain and proving many wrong.

marinello59
09-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Top 5 - with Paul Hanlon continuing as Captain and proving many wrong.

Will he be proving them wrong by playing well or playing badly? :greengrin

Brightside
09-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Will he be proving them wrong by playing well or playing badly? :greengrin

Playing well 80% of the time. :greengrin

hfc-1875
09-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Would sound mad saying this 6 weeks ago but 3rd place should be our aim. No one has grabbed it whilst we were doing terrible and it will only take a decent run to get right back in the mix.

Peevemor
09-12-2019, 04:43 PM
I would think that everyone at the club will be trying for third place, though they might not say so publicly.

Squealing pig
09-12-2019, 05:36 PM
One game at a time.

I'm just glad to have a team that's worth watching again.

My thoughts exactly