PDA

View Full Version : Why has it not worked out anywhere else for Scott Allan?

Northernhibee
08-12-2019, 07:50 AM
When you watch him at Hibs you can’t help but thing that he looks like a ten million pound player who has the sort of vision for a pass that would see him at the top clubs in the top leagues. Yet he never recreated that at Celtic, Dundee or Rotherham. He’s so vital to our team we’ve forgiven him derailing the start of our second season in the championship to try and force a move to Rangers who were our title rivals. I don’t know many other players who could overcome that.

We often say “some players just click at a certain club” but why is that? How can a player who looks so good at one club be so vividly different at other clubs?

bigwheel
08-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Interesting question ..I think he has moved on too early a few times . Probably should have stayed at United to start with..and certainly should have stayed longer with us..

Think he did OK at Portsmouth on loan..didn’t get much chance to stake a claim at Celtic

He needs to make somewhere his home. Hopefully he has found it now

Diclonius
08-12-2019, 08:01 AM
I really hope Rangers don't take an interest in him again, but I'm not entirely convinced he would even want to go now.

yerauldda
08-12-2019, 08:13 AM
I really hope Rangers don't take an interest in him again, but I'm not entirely convinced he would even want to go now.

I can’t see him ever leaving Hibs now. It’s the only time he’s been settled his whole career.

J-C
08-12-2019, 08:21 AM
I know he made a big deal about Hibs understanding his diabetes and the way they have looked after him and his ailment like no other club has done, I feel it's a feeling of being wanted and loved by the club and it's fans, he gets that and it's seen in his performances, sometimes a player and club just fit together.

wookie70
08-12-2019, 08:47 AM
It's a love thing. He seems to be forgiven for every bad decision, poor pass or lack of work off the ball as we know he will provide moments like yesterday. There are signs this season his decision making has improved and there have been games where he has been good defensively. He just needs to put all the elements together on a regular basis as he is still very inconsistent. Flo is very similar imo. Has everything needed to play at a very high level but needs to do it more weeks than most

James Stephen
08-12-2019, 08:48 AM
It's an interesting question.

I wonder whether there are a couple of factors. Firstly, he seems to just be settled and happy here, which must help- he knows hes wanted and the fans love him.

Secondly, I wonder if we are just in the sweet spot of clubs for him. Any higher (like celtic or the huns) and more consistency, work rate are required, and the competition maybe make him not as effective.

Any lower (like Dundee) and he cannot be indulged as much and doesn't have as many good team mates.

We do indulge him, both as a team and a support, and that suits him. The type of player he is means he will do a lot that doesn't come off - the passes and dribbles have a high degree of difficulty and therefore a high chance of failure. Hibs fans have many faults (as do all fans) but we certainly seem to have plenty of patience for mercurial players like Allan.

The Leith Dutch
08-12-2019, 08:49 AM

I'd think that's unlikely. A combination of their new found arrogance would have them believe Allan is beneath them now plus they probably don't have the money just to spite buy players.

The Leith Dutch
08-12-2019, 08:52 AM
When you watch him at Hibs you can’t help but thing that he looks like a ten million pound player who has the sort of vision for a pass that would see him at the top clubs in the top leagues. Yet he never recreated that at Celtic, Dundee or Rotherham. He’s so vital to our team we’ve forgiven him derailing the start of our second season in the championship to try and force a move to Rangers who were our title rivals. I don’t know many other players who could overcome that.

We often say “some players just click at a certain club” but why is that? How can a player who looks so good at one club be so vividly different at other clubs?

It is and is one but happy it is.
If we went out and bought a player for a couple of million I'd be happy if he worked out as well for us as Scott Allan has.

Smartie
08-12-2019, 08:53 AM
We’ve built a team around him a few times.

I think other clubs get annoyed when he doesn’t chase back and make loads of tackles.

We’ll forgive and work around his weaknesses in order to get the best out of his immense other qualities.

CockneyRebel
08-12-2019, 09:11 AM

I wonder whether there are a couple of factors. Firstly, he seems to just be settled and happy here, which must help- he knows hes wanted and the fans love him.

Secondly, I wonder if we are just in the sweet spot of clubs for him. Any higher (like celtic or the huns) and more consistency, work rate are required, and the competition maybe make him not as effective.

Any lower (like Dundee) and he cannot be indulged as much and doesn't have as many good team mates.

We do indulge him, both as a team and a support, and that suits him. The type of player he is means he will do a lot that doesn't come off - the passes and dribbles have a high degree of difficulty and therefore a high chance of failure. Hibs fans have many faults (as do all fans) but we certainly seem to have plenty of patience for mercurial players like Allan.

Well thought out reply JS and and on the money for me.

Peevemor
08-12-2019, 09:14 AM

We do indulge him, both as a team and a support, and that suits him. The type of player he is means he will do a lot that doesn't come off - the passes and dribbles have a high degree of difficulty and therefore a high chance of failure. Hibs fans have many faults (as do all fans) but we certainly seem to have plenty of patience for mercurial players like Allan.This is it for me.

Since452
08-12-2019, 09:14 AM
That pass for Boyle's goal was world class and not for the first time. He's the epitome of a one club player. Just doesn't click for him anywhere else.

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2019, 09:26 AM

3 year deal, going nowhere, especially not there.

Honestly, probably doesn't fit their style or the level of consistency they want. Doubt they'll be delighted with Celtic rejects either

FilipinoHibs
08-12-2019, 09:32 AM
When he pulls on that Hibs strip he knows he is part of a long lineage of cavalier artistic players that the crowd adores. Great that we can have seen so many skillful players. They always come no matter how bleak things are.

Pretty Boy
08-12-2019, 10:23 AM
I know it's fashionable to have a pop at the Hibs fanbase as demanding and unreasonable. However I think with players like Allan we probably show a lot more patience than other fans will.

It's a cliche but I think we do appreciate artistry and mercurial talent more than some other clubs. We'll give an Allan, a Zemmama, a Latapy, a Riordan etc a bit more leeway than others fans, and clubs, might when it's not happening for them because we know a moment of magic might be seconds away.

Hibeesmad
08-12-2019, 10:41 AM
I think if Celtic played him regularly he would have turned out to be one of their better players.

Since452
08-12-2019, 10:44 AM
In 10/20 years time I think we'll look back on Allan as one of the best to wear the shirt. Think we just need to enjoy him

Jones28
08-12-2019, 10:47 AM
I know it's fashionable to have a pop at the Hibs fanbase as demanding and unreasonable. However I think with players like Allan we probably show a lot more patience than other fans will.

It's a cliche but I think we do appreciate artistry and mercurial talent more than some other clubs. We'll give an Allan, a Zemmama, a Latapy, a Riordan etc a bit more leeway than others fans, and clubs, might when it's not happening for them because we know a moment of magic might be seconds away.

I think that’s bang on.

It’s just a shame he went to Celtic and stalled his career. We could’ve run rangers a lot closer in that second season if he was still with us.

Weegreenman
08-12-2019, 10:49 AM
I think if Celtic played him regularly he would have turned out to be one of their better players.

I agree with this. I think you need a manager that believes in you and unfortunately for Scott I don’t think he’s ever really had that until he arrived here.
This is his home now.. It’s his time to show all those previous managers that he was the real deal.

Since452
08-12-2019, 10:52 AM
I thought Brendan Rodgers going to Celtic would have been brilliant for Allan. It's almost as if he didn't know much about him or his mind was made up on him from the start

Sudds_1
08-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Well thought out reply JS and and on the money for me.

Yep...me too👍

1van Sprou7e
08-12-2019, 11:14 AM
I think that’s bang on.

It’s just a shame he went to Celtic and stalled his career. We could’ve run rangers a lot closer in that second season if he was still with us.

It's not a shame at all, almost definitely wouldn't have won the cup if he'd stayed

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2019, 11:15 AM
It's not a shame at all, almost definitely wouldn't have won the cup if he'd stayed
Why? We could've won them both and got promoted? Impossible to tell.

1van Sprou7e
08-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Yes, obviously we haven't always played with flair but as you say it's something which is very important to us as a support and that clearly can have an effect on what we see on the pitch

I know it sounds a bit cringy but personally this attitude and the effects it has makes me feel proud and lucky to be a Hibs fan

1van Sprou7e
08-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Why? We could've won them both and got promoted? Impossible to tell.

Could have yes, but it probably would have worked out like those 113 other seasons. Henderson and McGeoch were instrumental

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Could have yes, but it probably would have worked out like those 113 other seasons. Henderson and McGeoch were instrumental

I agree, one of the best deals we've ever done.

Robbo6-2
08-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Hes a top player at our level.

Probably not made it higher because he does give the ball away alot trying the killer pass. Yesterday there were at least 3 times he tried a harder pass when there was a simple ball on. Aberdeen broke up park and nearly scored from one of them. Managers at a higher level wont accept that.

However his ball for 1st goal changed the game and he had a fantastic 2nd half.

HibeeHibernian4
08-12-2019, 11:35 AM
This isn't taking anything away from Allan, but I think him having players like Kamberi and Boyle (and previously Cummings in his first season) in front of him really works. There's an understanding there and they know that all they have to do is time their run and Scott will find them with the pass more often than not. It takes months to build up that kind of instinctive trust in a team, and maybe Allan just has been given the opportunity or playing time anywhere else to do that.

tamig
08-12-2019, 11:42 AM
In 10/20 years time I think we'll look back on Allan as one of the best to wear the shirt. Think we just need to enjoy him

I’ve been watching Hibs since the Tornadoes days and I’ve consistently said he’s one of the most gifted players I’ve ever seen play for us.

lyonhibs
08-12-2019, 12:33 PM
The man is the god of the reverse pass in behind the opposition defence. There's not a player in the league better than him at it. If we can keep him, Boyle and Kamberi fit, results like yesterday will happen again, especially at home.

Really, really lucky to have him here. Normally I'm a luddite who values hard work and effort over mercurial talent, but when it's once a game not once in a blue moon, I'll make an exception for Allan.

Plus, he's dashingly handsome and with Henderson not likely to return anytime soon, one needs to redirect the old man crush to a more realistic target.

Dashing Bob S
08-12-2019, 12:39 PM
I'm going to say 'mercurial' now, because I've never used the word before but it seems obligatory on this thread. In fact I'm going to say it again. Mercurial.

hibee-boys
08-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Scott Allan has built up enough credit with the hibs fans over the years for him to be able to try those moves without fear of criticism, he hasn't had that opportunity at other clubs. There's no denying that he can look for thr killer pass once too often, JR suggested as much in the post match interview, but we have to find a system that plays to his strengths and doesn't stifle this match winning talent.

#2 Double Tap
08-12-2019, 12:50 PM
the boy was born to be a Hibs player.

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 01:54 PM
I saw a stat one time that Messi gives the ball away more than any other Barcelona player. No doubt about it Allan is the same with us, in the last two home games he must have given the ball away a total of about 10 times ... but just like Messi when he gets it right he's a joy to watch and I for one wouldn't have it any other way. The only criticism I would maybe have is that he sometimes goes for the thread the needle pass when he has an easier option which would be just as effective.

I wouldn't be too critical of his workrate either, he puts himself about plenty from what I've seen of him this season. I agree with the general consensus that sometimes a club suits a player and for Scott Allan that's definitely Hibs

McD
08-12-2019, 05:14 PM
I'd think that's unlikely. A combination of their new found arrogance would have them believe Allan is beneath them now plus they probably don't have the money just to spite buy players.

I’d like to think our financial position would mean we can tell them to bolt unless it’s a ridiculous amount, and I’m not convinced SA would go this time anyway.

fantastic post PB :aok:

I agree, we’ve always taken mercurial, flair players to heart, give them the support and nurture (broadly speaking) they’ve needed, and been willing to watch them make mistakes in order to see them pull off passes like we saw yesterday. Allan has lit up Easter road time after time, players like that are worth accepting their flaws because it’s the type of football Hibs fans want to see, and the club is associated with.

I dearly hope Allan will finish his career with us, many seasons from now :flag:

CMurdoch
08-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Have read all the replies and this is by far the best.

Simply doesn't have the off the ball work-rate to go higher or indeed lower.
He won't be leaving Hibs this time and will be around for as long as the club management want him.
Lucky us :greengrin.

JeMeSouviens
08-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Me too. They were on the brink of getting rid of Christie as well without him getting a chance.

degenerated
08-12-2019, 06:11 PM
3 year deal, going nowhere, especially not there.

Honestly, probably doesn't fit their style or the level of consistency they want. Doubt they'll be delighted with Celtic rejects eitherThey signed Brandon Barker who is far from consistent

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is It On....
08-12-2019, 06:17 PM
I agree with this. I think you need a manager that believes in you and unfortunately for Scott I don’t think he’s ever really had that until he arrived here.
This is his home now.. It’s his time to show all those previous managers that he was the real deal.

I think we were lucky we signed him when we did because I don't think Heckingbottom would have. SA's performances in Heckingbottom's formation [we know how a great a player he he can be - just not at wide right 🙄] also gave me a bit of hope it was the manager rather than the new players that was not up to it.

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2019, 06:20 PM
They signed Brandon Barker who is far from consistent

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes, a quick look on their forums will show what their fans think of him.

I actually don't understand why folk are so desperate to sell our players to Celtic and Rangers. This rubbish and Marciano to Celtic have been constants on here. Allan isn't going anywhere, think about it. He's our best player, getting on and on a long contract. Rangers don't need him anyway, creativity isn't their issue at all.