PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon, more of the same please.

KWJ
07-12-2019, 05:17 PM
That was his best game in a couple of seasons for me, 2nd half when the game really developed. Read the game well, covered others well, didn't let Cosgrove batter him and threw himself about when required.

Keep it up, keep the armband.

Edited, I put that first half to back of mind.

smack
07-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Maybe in the 2nd half. His first half performance was one of the worst ever

scoopyboy
07-12-2019, 05:21 PM
That was his best game in a couple of seasons for me. Read the game well, covered others well, didn't let Cosgrove batter him and threw himself about when required.

Keep it up, keep the armband.

I'm a big fan of his but I thought he was caught out twice or thrice in the first half, misjudging headers and Aberdeen getting in behind us as a result.

Tremendous tackle/ block near the end.

Allant1981
First half he was honking, second half big improvement

Brightside
Maybe in the 2nd half. His first half performance was one of the worst ever

He made a couple of errors in the first half. He was outstanding in the 2nd half.

Vault Boy
07-12-2019, 05:22 PM
I'm glad he kept the head and got stuck in, but that was very far from his best game.

He absolutely sold himself on at least 3 occasions and was very lucky that Porteous was there to bail him out.

Still rate him highly and he definitely did better later on in the game.

SMAXXA
07-12-2019, 05:23 PM
What game were you watching man 😂, I think he’s been great for Hibs and wouldn’t criticise him lightly but today he was our worst player he was poor. Granted done better second half but to even find a thread saying the opposite is leaving me and the other guys at the table baffled.

green day
07-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Hanlon is going to have to turn into Paulo Maldini to bring some people onside.

I thought him and Stevenson did very well today - jeez, they were playing against Cosgrove who is on fire and a ref who let Cosgrove et al do what they wanted for the first half.

He has been struggling recently, today - made a couple of mistakes - yep. Great block to keep a clean sheet - yep.

At least give him credit for having a good game overall..........

Pretty Boy
07-12-2019, 05:25 PM
First half was weird. He was generally OK but had 3 total howlers, 2 of which led to good chances for Aberdeen.

2nd half he was superb, his challenge near the end was top drawer and he hardly gave Cosgrove a sniff.

Allant1981
07-12-2019, 05:26 PM

I thought him and Stevenson did very well today - jeez, they were playing against Cosgrove who is on fire and a ref who let Cosgrove et al do what they wanted for the first half.

He has been struggling recently, today - made a couple of mistakes - yep. Great block to keep a clean sheet - yep.

He didnt have a good game overall though, he had a better second half but in all honesty it wasnt hard as he was not good in the 1st half

Hiber-nation
07-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Yep bizarre. So many bad mistakes I lost count. But shrugged them off to make that block in the 2nd half along with some more fine defending. Massive improvement needed.

cabbage_88
07-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Amazing block in the second half to stop Cosgrove but honestly thought he was dreadful - again! 4 shocking errors in the game, you can't be giving that away every week or we will get punished. Left sided centre half required in January

B.H.F.C
Brilliant tackle on Cosgrove. All came about after Cosgrove dispossessed him in the corner in the first place though. Two or three times he totally misjudged things.

wookie70
Very poor first half but was excellent in the second half as was Lewis. Write both of them off if you want we would struggle to sign better. Well done to Ross too as I thought Aberdeen would batter us given how many forward thinking players we had but it worked well. He also got the subs right and got Jackson in at a good time. We may have been in 5th if he had done that against Killie.

SMAXXA
07-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Overall he never though!! If they had scored as a result of his mistakes people wouldn’t be so positive. Brilliant tackle in the box second half was different class but he didn’t have a good game imo and in a Hanlon fan btw but all players can be criticised

jeffers
07-12-2019, 05:28 PM
He made a couple of errors in the first half. He was outstanding in the 2nd half.

Pretty much how I saw his performance

hibby6270
07-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Shaky first half to say the least. Those bounce overs were worrying and he was baled out by his team mates. Much better second half, though to be fair we dominated and Aberdeen didn’t create that much. Compared to recent performances though, it was a 7 instead of a 5.

Smartie
07-12-2019, 05:35 PM
First half was weird. He was generally OK but had 3 total howlers, 2 of which led to good chances for Aberdeen.

2nd half he was superb, his challenge near the end was top drawer and he hardly gave Cosgrove a sniff.

I was late getting in, not sure how he started but Hanlon was all over the place towards the end of the half. He has a really bad habit of his mistakes leading to goals or at least chances and today he was lucky not to be punished.

A lesser player might have gone on to have a howler but top marks to Hanlon for turning his performance around. It was no showboating at 3-0 up performance either - it was significant stuff at 0-0, 1-0 and 2-0 when the game was still very much in the balance. His performance during the second half did as much to win us the game as the forward players who will deservedly have praise showered on them.

we are hibs
07-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Caught under the ball and lost the flight of it 3 or 4 times in the first half although it was windy.

2nd half he was better.

KWJ
07-12-2019, 05:45 PM
He made countless interceptions in the 2nd half and was just generally a hoover to the ball. It was refreshing to see as it's been a long time coming.

Leith Green
07-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Some of his decision making in the first half was horrendous. Almost cost us dear , with porteous bailing him out at least once or twice. Much better 2nd half , looked like he had had some weetabix at half time.

Greenbeard
07-12-2019, 06:22 PM
Some of his decision making in the first half was horrendous. Almost cost us dear , with porteous bailing him out at least once or twice. Much better 2nd half , looked like he had had some weetabix at half time.
Maybe wet 'is beak?

Heckys Wheel
07-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Rotten first half. Very good second half. Not good enough if we want improve.

matty_f
07-12-2019, 06:25 PM
Dreadful first half, outstanding second. The tackle in the box towards the end was different class.

LaMotta
07-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Dreadful first half, outstanding second. The tackle in the box towards the end was different class.

:agree:

He played like a drunk first 45, but sobered up at half time.

Hermit Crab
07-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Needs replacing, too many errors every week now. Cost us their winner on Wednesday and not for the first time this season. Lucky to get away with his howlers today due to poor finishing by Aberdeen. One half decent 45 minutes this season just isn't good enough imo.

J-C
07-12-2019, 07:32 PM
I'm a big fan of his but I thought he was caught out twice or thrice in the first half, misjudging headers and Aberdeen getting in behind us as a result.

Tremendous tackle/ block near the end.

The wind was playing up and causing the players to mistime their headers, quite a few were caught out by it.

Hibee Mac
07-12-2019, 07:40 PM
Very weird game for him, terrible first half, outstanding second half culminating in a goal saving tackle to keep our clean sheet.

Worked in the end I suppose haha

Sir David Gray
07-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Very poor first half, much improved in the second half.

HibbyAndy
07-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Shocking first half but very good second half

Porteous was utterly outstanding for 90 minutes

MWHIBBIES
07-12-2019, 10:56 PM

Hanlon covered for him a few times. Ryan totally missed a ball on the half way and left the defence 3v3. Hanlon stopped it with an excellent standing challenge.

Moody Blues
07-12-2019, 11:41 PM
Great display Second half, as was all the team.
Thouroughly enjoyed the game.

wookie70
07-12-2019, 11:54 PM
Hanlon covered for him a few times. Ryan totally missed a ball on the half way and left the defence 3v3. Hanlon stopped it with an excellent standing challenge.
That is my view too. Ryan covered Hanlon in the 1st half and Paul returned the favour second half.

tanfield
08-12-2019, 12:03 AM
Game of 2 halves for Paul Hanlon today. Outstanding 2nd half

Greenworld
08-12-2019, 07:09 AM
He is a liability now could have cost us 2 goals first half school boy defending and he is slow now get him one on one and he is done

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

bigwheel
08-12-2019, 07:56 AM
He is a liability now could have cost us 2 goals first half school boy defending and he is slow now get him one on one and he is done

What about his goal saving interventions in the second half..are those liabilities too ?

Brightside
08-12-2019, 07:58 AM

All our defenders will get done in 1:1 v attackers. We defended exceptionally well as a team yesterday. Aberdeen we’re limited to a couple of chances. Well done defence.

basehibby
08-12-2019, 08:08 AM

There was one occasion in the second half in which Porteous misjudged the flight of the ball completely much as Hanlon had three times in the first half (I think Aberdeen were trying to use the windy conditions to their advantage with lots of high balls). The result was a dangerous break away by Aberdeen - broken up by a SUPERB tackle in the box from Hanlon.

Other than that though I agree - Porteous was excellent.

Pretty Boy
08-12-2019, 08:13 AM
All our defenders will get done in 1:1 v attackers. We defended exceptionally well as a team yesterday. Aberdeen we’re limited to a couple of chances. Well done defence.

Well done entire team surely?

If the defence aren't just to blame when we ship cheap goals then surely they aren't singled out for praise when we keep clean sheets.

Brightside
08-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Well done entire team surely?

If the defence aren't just to blame when we ship cheap goals then surely they aren't singled out for praise when we keep clean sheets.

100%. We defended well as a team. Hallberg was noticeably deeper today. But all over the pitch we defended well.

MrRobot
08-12-2019, 08:59 AM

:agree:

Was terrible first half but great 2nd

PeeJay
08-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Hanlon had one or two "shaky" moments first half, but overall I though his performance was fine. He will know himself that he is having a tough patch, I admire the fact he stuck in and put in a very good 2nd half performance - this game will probably do his confidence a world of good, as with the rest of the team ...

Big_Franck
08-12-2019, 09:30 AM
How anyone could watch yesterday's game and say it was one of his best is baffling. His first half performance was one of the worst I've seen from a Hibs centre half. He was weak, constantly out muscled and bullied, misjudged numerous balls and made a few amateur mistakes. If that was a new signing he'd have been taken off at half-time and would probably never have played for us again.

Having said that he was immense the last 20 minutes or so, so credit where credit is due. His overall form for a few weeks now has been shaky to say the least though and he is one of the reasons we keep so few clean sheets. I'd not be surprised to see us signing a centre half in January.

blackpoolhibs
08-12-2019, 09:50 AM
I thought we were poor in the first half, Hanlon as poor as anyone. But the 2nd half we defended well and hit them with pace and precision to score some fantastic goals.

Yesterday was typical Hibs, and showed everyone how we can play but we just dont play like that every week.

And to do that, we will need to replace some of these players, because they are not capable of producing yesterdays performance regularly enough to get us challenging at the top end of this league.

Saying that, the 2nd half performance was superb, and Scott Allan is a fantastic player we are fortunate to see every week. :top marks

PISTOL1875
08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Horrendous in the first half , the type of mistakes you'd likely to see from a pub team player. However , the mistakes weren't there after the break and he had a improved second period..

If Hibs are to get better and push on then he will have to replaced soon enough.. He isn't gonna get any better I'm afraid..

Brightside
08-12-2019, 01:12 PM
He didn’t have a good first half. But as usual some of the rubbish spouted on here is unbelievable. Pub team player? Worst Centre Half at Hibs? Scotland’s no1 CH got turned inside out by hibs on multiple occasions in the first and second half. So will Aberdeen fans be sitting saying We need to get rid if we are going to get better.

The criticism is always miles over the top.

we are hibs
08-12-2019, 01:18 PM
He didn’t have a good first half. But as usual some of the rubbish spouted on here is unbelievable. Pub team player? Worst Centre Half at Hibs? Scotland’s no1 CH got turned inside out by hibs on multiple occasions in the first and second half. So will Aberdeen fans be sitting saying We need to get rid if we are going to get better.

The criticism is always miles over the top.

Mckenna is vastly overrated tbf.

BlackSheep
08-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Apologies but Hanlon was absolutely terrible yesterday, and while his second half was better, it still was dire!! Too many mistakes, misjudgments and bad decisions made by Paul... like Mallan before him, he needs a wee spell on the bench to reignite the fire.

KWJ
08-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Apologies but Hanlon was absolutely terrible yesterday, and while his second half was better, it still was dire!! Too many mistakes, misjudgments and bad decisions made by Paul... like Mallan before him, he needs a wee spell on the bench to reignite the fire.

You thought his second half was dire? Are you new to football?

MWHIBBIES
08-12-2019, 02:13 PM

Definitely wasn't dire 2nd half, absolute crap.

Steve88
08-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Still needs replaced ASAP. Not consistent enough for our top 4 targets

KWJ
08-12-2019, 04:05 PM
Still needs replaced ASAP. Not consistent enough for our top 4 targets

Hence the thread title, more of the same. That's what we need from him and what's been missing for probably 2 year.

eastmainsmsh
08-12-2019, 04:40 PM
injuries have stopped PH from progressing still quality think efe would be a massive signing helping PH and RP

BlackSheep
08-12-2019, 05:07 PM
You thought his second half was dire? Are you new to football?

Ha! Yeah, just started following the game this week!! 🙄🤣

But seriously he made a few errors in the second half that if any of our other players had not got the run of the green could’ve put us in bother. My point is he didn’t redeem himself enough in the second half to merit leniency imho.

AlbertK86
09-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Paul got bullied by Cosgrove in first half and was to busy complaining to ref when fouled instead of getting wired in.

Hopefully Ross gave him a rocket at half time and there was a marked difference in second half. Felled Cosgrove almost immediately which laid a marker for that half. Was solid second half bar dilly dallying on bye line when dispossessed.

Needs to take confidence from second half and cut out silly mistakes to stay in the team. Hopefully kicks on from yesterday’s second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
09-12-2019, 09:12 AM
I thought Jackson looked really good when he came on. Rate him

Gypsy King
09-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Read that post in utter disbelief. He was appalling for half the game. He always has at least one or two rocky moments in a game and I am sick of it. It didn't cost us on sat, thankfully but he has on so many occasions this season. New CH required