PDA

View Full Version : Marciano

AgentDaleCooper
07-12-2019, 04:03 PM
That victory was built on foundations he laid. He is a match winner.

FilipinoHibs
07-12-2019, 04:06 PM
That victory was built on foundations he laid. He is a match winner.

Good shop stopper but poor kicker. Was told to roll out as much as possible by looks of things.

Johnny_Leith
07-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Amazing how having a gk that can save shots that aren't right at him can make a difference 🙄

Been throwing points away selecting Maxwell in goals.

essexhibee
07-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Good shop stopper but poor kicker. Was told to roll out as much as possible by looks of things.

He’s there to save shots not kick.

CloudSquall
07-12-2019, 04:15 PM

If I remember correctly Leighton, one of our best ever keepers, couldnae kick for ****.

Nothing against Maxwell but what a difference it makes having a keeper that wins you points in goals.

A Hi-Bee
07-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Great keeper is Rocky, Bogdan a close second.

Craig_HFC
07-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Would you rather have a keeper who is a good kicker but a poor shot stopper?

2 clean sheets this season in the league and it’s no coincidence that it has been the same goalkeeper in both games.

Ozyhibby
07-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Been obvious all season. Fair play to Jack Ross, he has moved quickly to change it. Maxwell was hopeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HendoDelivered
07-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Best keeper at the club hands down.

The 90+2
07-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Been obvious all season. Fair play to Jack Ross, he has moved quickly to change it. Maxwell was hopeless.

Correct 👍

Speedy
07-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Best keeper at the club hands down.

He'd be even better with his hands up :greengrin

The 90+2
07-12-2019, 04:24 PM
He'd be even better with his hands up :greengrin

:greengrin

Diclonius
07-12-2019, 04:26 PM
So what was the "non football reasons" article all about?

GoalsMcGinley
07-12-2019, 04:27 PM
His distribution from feet is extremely poor however, I’d far rather have a top class shot stopper than a sweeper in goals

hibbie02
07-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Amazing how having a gk that can save shots that aren't right at him can make a difference [emoji849]

Exactly! Anything more than a couple feet either side of Maxwell usually ended up in the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

neil7908
07-12-2019, 04:29 PM
His double save in the first half was sensational.

Maxwell is a decent keeper but wouldn't have stopped those shots.

Rocky will probably lose us a goal with his distribution but he'll save us so many more.

No a coincidence that our first clean sheet in ages is with us him in goals.

Jack Hackett
07-12-2019, 04:33 PM

May have been obvious to a fair few of us, but there were plenty singing his praises.

Welcome back Rocky!

Bobby's Cinema
07-12-2019, 04:46 PM
Crucial double save at 0-0 first half, exactly one of those exceptional saves over and above those you expect to make (which we haven’t had too often from the man he replaced) that win you points. Well done goalie

jellybean
07-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Delighted to see him back. I feel more comfortable with him playing.

Welcome back Rocky!

I_Love_Latapy
07-12-2019, 05:10 PM
His distribution from feet is extremely poor however, I’d far rather have a top class shot stopper than a sweeper in goals

Whatever Rocky has been working on while he's been out of the side, it certainly wasn't his distribution. Shot stopping still his strength.

Vault Boy
07-12-2019, 05:24 PM
So glad he's been returned to the team.

Smartie
07-12-2019, 05:25 PM
It was good to have him back, he played very well and made a significant contribution to us winning the game.

I’m not really on board with the Maxwell bashing though. Rocky was a bit rocky at the start of the season, Maxwell deserved an opportunity and when he came in he didn’t do anything to deserve being dropped quickly. The time was right for Rocky to get another chance and we must all be delighted that he looks to be taking his chance again.

I’m a wee bit miffed that he seems to need a kick up the arse to get him playing. He’s a cracking goalkeeper and shouldn’t need it.

hibby6270
07-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Apart from one slip when he kicked the ball from hand, he was solid today.
3 great saves, all in first half. The one low down at the post early on, then the double save.
Apart from those everything else was routine straight at him.
Good to see him back.

Hibeesmad
07-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Marciano starts, we keep a clean sheet. Common sense prevails.

wookie70
07-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Amazing how having a gk that can save shots that aren't right at him can make a difference 🙄

Did he save any that weren't right at him and from what I can see the previous game was the only one we haven't picked points up in for a good while.

Rocky had a decent game with one very good stop after he palmed the ball out to the penalty spot. That is one of his weaknesses for me saving the ball back into trouble. He looked very nervous in the first half and never really had much to do second half. He deserves a run after Maxwell's mistake but he really needs to work on his kicking which was, again, terrible hardly hitting Doidge once and miskicking a number of times. Saying all that a clean sheet is something we have been looking for since August and I hope he takes confidence from it.

California-Hibs
07-12-2019, 06:07 PM
The one where he got down low first half and tipped it round the post, Maxwell isn't saving that, that was pure agility and sharpness that I believe only Rocky has. Don't get me wrong, Maxwell hasn't done a whole lot wrong excluding his poor judgement against County, but Marciano has proven countless times how good he is.

Simply has to retain the gloves now!

wookie70
07-12-2019, 06:11 PM
The one where he got down low first half and tipped it round the post, Maxwell isn't saving that, that was pure agility and sharpness that I believe only Rocky has. Don't get me wrong, Maxwell hasn't done a whole lot wrong excluding his poor judgement against County, but Marciano has proven countless times how good he is.

Simply has to retain the gloves now!

I was a long way away but he looked slow to go down and fumbled teh save a bit. Hopefully it was a good save and look forward to the highlights

California-Hibs
07-12-2019, 06:13 PM
I was a long way away but he looked slow to go down and fumbled teh save a bit. Hopefully it was a good save and look forward to the highlights

Yeah, re-watch the highlights regarding that one mate 😉

ancient hibee
07-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Thought the double save turned the game because the defence now knew that the odd mistake could be made without it turning into a disaster and were much more relaxed as a result.So many posters have said that Maxwell hasn’t done much wrong or that he had no chance with goals.I disagree.It’s no coincidence that we had a clean sheet.To me the best that could be said about Maxwell is that he’s mediocre.

LaMotta
07-12-2019, 06:27 PM
Great keeper, love seeing him as our number one.

He was like Jim Leighton after 15 pints of Stella with his kicking though:greengrin

Hibee Mac
07-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Two points of note I think:

Early save down low to his left near post, good stop but importantantly that's one I doubt Maxwell saves.

Quick fire double save is excellent and if we go 1 down there the game is turned on its head.

Great to have you back where you belong Ofir 👍

jockspanner
07-12-2019, 08:00 PM
Great keeper, love seeing him as our number one.

He was like Jim Leighton after 15 pints of Stella with his kicking though:greengrin
He is very very good not as good as the Dwarf Cat though 😁💚

matty_f
07-12-2019, 08:11 PM
He made some good saves, also played us into trouble in the guest half with a woeful pass to Porteous, but the best thing he did was the double save - that was a big moment in the match.

Dolce7
07-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Marciano has always been my preferred choice as number 1 goalkeeper
the early season form was not all his fault

hibbyfraelibby
07-12-2019, 08:35 PM
Jack Ross has bought him a new dummy...

lord bunberry
07-12-2019, 10:39 PM
It was good to have him back, he played very well and made a significant contribution to us winning the game.

I’m not really on board with the Maxwell bashing though. Rocky was a bit rocky at the start of the season, Maxwell deserved an opportunity and when he came in he didn’t do anything to deserve being dropped quickly. The time was right for Rocky to get another chance and we must all be delighted that he looks to be taking his chance again.

I’m a wee bit miffed that he seems to need a kick up the arse to get him playing. He’s a cracking goalkeeper and shouldn’t need it.
In fairness it’s harsh to single Rocky out as needing a kick up the arse around that period. The whole team were struggling and Rocky must’ve been the most worked keeper in the league at that time.

Stokesy's on fire
07-12-2019, 11:27 PM
The best keeper we have had for years the boys first class

wookie70
07-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Yeah, re-watch the highlights regarding that one mate ��

Watched the highlights. The shot where he saves at his near post is one you would be fuming if your keeper lets it in. Decent save no more and only a couple of foot away from him. The double save on the highlights was how I saw it at the game. Poor shot which he parried poorly right back into the danger zone and a terrible effort from Cosgrove following up hitting a soft shot right at Rocky. I have no doubt any of our three keepers would have got a clean sheet tonight but well done Rocky for doing it and the gloves are his if he keeps doing well. Great to have competition between the sticks. The only real goal saving moment on the highlights was Hanlon's tackle which looks even better than at the game.

franck sauzee
07-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Did he save any that weren't right at him and from what I can see the previous game was the only one we haven't picked points up in for a good while.

Rocky had a decent game with one very good stop after he palmed the ball out to the penalty spot. That is one of his weaknesses for me saving the ball back into trouble. He looked very nervous in the first half and never really had much to do second half. He deserves a run after Maxwell's mistake but he really needs to work on his kicking which was, again, terrible hardly hitting Doidge once and miskicking a number of times. Saying all that a clean sheet is something we have been looking for since August and I hope he takes confidence from it.

Was about to write something similar. The "great double save" came from a pretty poor first save palmed into trouble. Second save was fantastic though. Rocky is a great shot stopper but there are also clear weaknesses to his game also

wookie70
07-12-2019, 11:39 PM
Was about to write something similar. The "great double save" came from a pretty poor first save palmed into trouble. Second save was fantastic though. Rocky is a great shot stopper but there are also clear weaknesses to his game also

I'd fancy myself at 3 stone overweight and 52 years old having never played in goals to save the second effort. It was a terrible finish right at Rocky with no pace. He made the save so did his job but it was fairly simple stuff.

hfc rd
08-12-2019, 02:25 AM
That double save in the 1st half was absolutely world class!

FilipinoHibs
08-12-2019, 07:55 AM

A big part of the modern game is a goal keepers distribution. Putting defenders under pressure with poor passes and kicking out of play or to the opposition means you are more likely to loose goals. Ross realised these are Rocky's shortcomings why he was rolling or throwing the ball out so much to our defenders. Obviously instructed to do so.

Eyrie
08-12-2019, 09:42 AM
I'll take a great shot stopper and average distributor over a good shot stopper and great distributor every day of the week.

Ross has addressed Marciano's distribution issue, which means we have a better chance of keeping clean sheets now that he is back in goal.

green day
08-12-2019, 09:44 AM
I'd fancy myself at 3 stone overweight

Maybe not too many women would though :greengrin

wookie70
08-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Maybe not too many women would though :greengrin Not wrong there

Smartie
08-12-2019, 10:40 AM
In fairness it’s harsh to single Rocky out as needing a kick up the arse around that period. The whole team were struggling and Rocky must’ve been the most worked keeper in the league at that time.

Maybe it is a bit harsh, but he needed to be dropped for a while last season before coming in and producing his best form.

He didn't start this season well. As a senior player, an internationalist, one of our highest earners and somebody who should be helping to set the tone for a whole raft of new players joining the club I just expected a bit more from a player I know to be capable of producing so much more than he was doing at the start of the season.

Now he's back in I hope he produces what he can on a consistent basis for the rest of the season.

I like the guy and the reason I'm being harsh is because I rate him highly. He shouldn't have been playing second fiddle to anyone.

Danderhall Hibs
08-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Two points of note I think:

Early save down low to his left near post, good stop but importantantly that's one I doubt Maxwell saves.

Quick fire double save is excellent and if we go 1 down there the game is turned on its head.

Great to have you back where you belong Ofir 👍

Just for a bit of balance - I don’t think Maxwell would leave his near post as wide open as that so wouldn’t have a save to make. He was fortunate with the one he parried straight out to the guy in the first half as well.

Still it was great to get a clean sheet and I just want the best / luckiest goalie in goals and same goes for the players - I’ll support them all rather than take sides.

brog
08-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Watched the highlights. The shot where he saves at his near post is one you would be fuming if your keeper lets it in. Decent save no more and only a couple of foot away from him. The double save on the highlights was how I saw it at the game. Poor shot which he parried poorly right back into the danger zone and a terrible effort from Cosgrove following up hitting a soft shot right at Rocky. I have no doubt any of our three keepers would have got a clean sheet tonight but well done Rocky for doing it and the gloves are his if he keeps doing well. Great to have competition between the sticks. The only real goal saving moment on the highlights was Hanlon's tackle which looks even better than at the game.

I just posted very similar on Jonnyboy's match thread. I thought I was in a minority of one until I saw your post. His effort for the 1st part of the double save was awful, both in the initial attempt to save & in palming it right back into the danger area. As for those saying kicking doesn't matter, we're a goal up versus St J in the last minute & we have a goal kick. Anywhere out of play or down touchline & we win the game ( & go 3rd in the league). Rocky kicks it straight to a St J player & 20 seconds later it's 2-2. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much comfortable with Rocky in goals but he has plenty to work on.

Weegreenman
08-12-2019, 10:57 AM
His great saves were never in doubt. It’s his all round game that’s been in question and the reason he’s been dropped several times. Silly mistakes like not covering his near post, his kicking is awful and his decision making are all questionable.

However saying all that, I’m happy to see him back. He’ll get my 100% backing.

BILLYHIBS
08-12-2019, 10:59 AM
:agree:

Make that four of us

Happy to see him back and playing with a smile on his face