PDA

View Full Version : Foodbank Info

Ardenttwo
06-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Coming down from the North for tomorrow’s game and understand there is a foodbank collection. Any information when do they start collecting or receiving. It was opposite the club shop last time so is it same place Thanks in advance as I have some items coming down

offshorehibby
06-12-2019, 11:25 AM
https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?343683-Official-Site-SUPPORT-SATURDAY-amp-rsquo-S-FOODBANK

This Saturday, ahead of the visit of Aberdeen, Hibernian Football Club will be hosting a foodbank collection in partnership with the team at Helping Hands.

Helping Hands are committed to ensuring that the items collected will get to those who need it most at a difficult time of the year for so many in the local community.

The volunteers will be out in force from 12pm on Saturday, right through until kick-off.

If you can’t make it along on the day but would still like to help, our Clubstore will act as a drop-off point all this week.

Recommended items include milk (UHT or powdered), sugar, cartons of juice, canned soup, pasta sauces, canned tomatoes, canned rice pudding, teabags, instant coffee, instant mash potato, rice, pasta, canned fish and meat, canned fruit, jam, biscuits and snack bars.

Hibernian Head Coach Jack Ross has praised the efforts of those involved and said: “It’s tremendous that we have a group of supporters doing this valuable work.

“I’d urge all fans coming to the game to help make sure the collection organised by Helping Hands is a great success.”

Helping Hands will also accept donations towards their Toys For Kids initiative and you can find more details on their various activities here.

Billy Whizz
06-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Giving this a wee bump
Got my bag of goodies ready

SquashedFrogg
06-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Anything anyone can bring is extremely helpful.

Wife works for a charity and recent analysis suggests that baby food is something that is also desperately needed across all foodbanks. Seems obvious but it's not something most think about when donating.

So sad that in 2019 we have to do this, but needs must.

Squealing pig
06-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Got a bag ready sure it'll be a great success

Ardenttwo
06-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Got a bag ready sure it'll be a great success

I know the NESH bus which is full coming down from Aberdeen with a large collection. Nesh is the Hibs NE supporters unless some did not know. Big flag display at all games.

kaimendhibs
06-12-2019, 06:57 PM
I handed a bag of tins into club shop today. Saved me walking with it

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
07-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Just picked up a few bits and bobs this morning to take down.

Utterly shameful that in the 21st century people are having to organise food Bank collections.

Gmack7
07-12-2019, 10:14 AM
sad that its needed but great initiative

FilipinoHibs
07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
We have to help. The government or the rich won't. One in three children in UK rely on food banks - 4 million.

Billy Whizz
08-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Seemed to be lots of donations yesterday. Well done to everyone who handed in goodies, and a special mention to everyone who put this together, and volunteered their services
A really worthy cause

Scouse Hibee
08-12-2019, 09:41 AM
A fantastic effort, along with the Forth One mission for Kids Christmas present appeal it’s great to hear of the help those less fortunate get but even sadder to see so many people needing it.

Hibernia&Alba
08-12-2019, 09:53 AM
We have to help. The government or the rich won't. One in three children in UK rely on food banks - 4 million.

It's a scandal; a decade of austerity has hammered those least able to cope. Great effort yesterday :top marks

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Great effort yesterday .. I watched them loading the van at half time and it looked like there was tons of stuff.

The politicians and upper echelons of our society must be so proud that ordinary men and women like those at 'helping hands' are willing to give their time and energy to help those less fortunate ... perhaps one day they might get their act together so they don't have to, because the fact that we need food banks in this day and age should be a national embarrassment :bitchy:

Worse than that .... My trip to the supermarket once a year to get stuff for the collection makes my partner think I'm capable of grocery shopping .. its not on FFS :grr:

hibby rae
08-12-2019, 12:09 PM
They posted on twitter 40 tonnes of food was collected (not sure if it was a typo and meant to read 4?), six van loads worth and around 100 volunteers helped.

Ardenttwo
08-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Great effort yesterday .. I watched them loading the van at half time and it looked like there was tons of stuff.

The politicians and upper echelons of our society must be so proud that ordinary men and women like those at 'helping hands' are willing to give their time and energy to help those less fortunate ... perhaps one day they might get their act together so they don't have to, because the fact that we need food banks in this day and age should be a national embarrassment :bitchy:

Worse than that .... My trip to the supermarket once a year to get stuff for the collection makes my partner think I'm capable of grocery shopping .. its not on FFS :grr:

I was interviewed by that filming company at the foodbank and just said that is a sad indictment of our society that we have to do this. I mentioned that as was on my way to a hospitality suite my conscience would not let me walk past something like this without contributing. God bless all volunteers and those who did contribute

hibbychick1
08-12-2019, 01:37 PM
They posted on twitter 40 tonnes of food was collected (not sure if it was a typo and meant to read 4?), six van loads worth and around 100 volunteers helped.
Not a typo, 40 tonnes, 6 van loads. Absolutely outstanding 💚

EI255
08-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Looking to give lots of tinned foods etc away before Xmas. Anyone know who'd take them in East Edinburgh?

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
08-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Not a typo, 40 tonnes, 6 van loads. Absolutely outstanding 💚

Wow, that's incredible :thumbsup:

hibbyfraelibby
08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Looking to give lots of tinned foods etc away before Xmas. Anyone know who'd take them in East Edinburgh?

Contact Trussel Trust

Pretty Boy
08-12-2019, 02:56 PM

The Edinburgh NE foodank takes donations on Monday to Friday mornings. They are based at South Leith Parish Church. They will take donations at other times if required.