PDA

View Full Version : VAR thread

Zazu62
06-12-2019, 09:45 AM
After watching the Sheffield United game last night I was left wondering why didn’t the linesman just keep his flag down, then if it was offside then it would get disallowed anyway? In fact what is the point of having a linesman?

hibbysam
06-12-2019, 09:48 AM
After watching the Sheffield United game last night I was left wondering why didn’t the linesman just keep his flag down, then if it was offside then it would get disallowed anyway? In fact what is the point of having a linesman?

They’ve been told to put flag up only if 100% sure, but also to let it run regardless and only flag if nothing comes of it. As soon as his flag goes up the game should stop. All this play to the whistle nonsense is fine for fouls etc, but when players see the flag go up its natural instinct to stop.

dangermouse
06-12-2019, 10:31 AM
They’ve been told to put flag up only if 100% sure, but also to let it run regardless and only flag if nothing comes of it. As soon as his flag goes up the game should stop. All this play to the whistle nonsense is fine for fouls etc, but when players see the flag go up its natural instinct to stop.

Eh! As soon as the flag goes up stop the game! How boring would that be! VAR is a pain at the best of times (thank goodness we don't have it up here) but the referee decides if play should go on not the linesman waving his flag and in this day and age the officials talk to each other so maybe the referee told him it was onside :dunno:

lord bunberry
06-12-2019, 10:42 AM
I agree, they shouldn’t flag for offside anymore. I think the linesman still has a role in helping the referee with things he can’t see, but it’s a nonsense that they’re flagging for offside when it can be decided after the event with absolute certainty. Players are going to just learn to ignore it.

danhibees1875
06-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Play to the whistle arguement doesn't wash with me, the flag going up is, for all intents and purposes, the whistle.

I don't particularly like VAR.

Frazerbob
06-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Officials are now avoiding making as they know VAR will do it for them.

WeeRussell
06-12-2019, 12:08 PM
Eh! As soon as the flag goes up stop the game! How boring would that be! VAR is a pain at the best of times (thank goodness we don't have it up here) but the referee decides if play should go on not the linesman waving his flag and in this day and age the officials talk to each other so maybe the referee told him it was onside :dunno:

You may think it's boring but its essentially what's happened forever.

we are hibs
06-12-2019, 12:11 PM
VAR worked. They checked the goal and he was onside.

The problem was with the linesman, not VAR.

hibbysam
06-12-2019, 12:16 PM

The referee couldn’t tell it was onside, if he could he absolutely doesn’t need any Lino’s as he’s superhuman. He just applied the rule the lino should’ve (ie not putting the flag up), once the flag goes up though the game should stop, 100%

matty_f
06-12-2019, 12:18 PM
The flag going up is not, and never has been, the same as the whistle going. There have been many instances of a ref over-ruling a linesman's flag to let play go on, and so the striker was right to keep going. If the ref whistles, you stop, otherwise you play on.

edit: I've watched this post back in VAR and agree with the point made.

Pretty Boy
06-12-2019, 12:19 PM
It's natural instinct to see the flag go up and stop, in that situation the flag is, in the real world, the whistle

I'm a Newcastle fan so there's no ulterior motive; it's a bizarre situation that can see an official signal for a decision that can impact the game, the game continues then VAR decides the decision signalled was wrong.

The whole offside rule needs looked at now that VAR is being used to excess. When you have goals being disallowed because of armpits being a centimetre offside then it's clear the rules aren't fit for purpose.

matty_f
06-12-2019, 12:33 PM
It's natural instinct to see the flag go up and stop, in that situation the flag is, in the real world, the whistle

I'm a Newcastle fan so there's no ulterior motive; it's a bizarre situation that can see an official signal for a decision that can impact the game, the game continues then VAR decides the decision signalled was wrong.

The whole offside rule needs looked at now that VAR is being used to excess. When you have goals being disallowed because of armpits being a centimetre offside then it's clear the rules aren't fit for purpose.

We were always told to play to the whistle as kids, if the ref over-ruled the linesman and I'd stopped playing, either as a defender or an attacker, I'd have got slaughtered for it.

The fault here isn't with VAR, there's every chance that,as the ref has also played on, the goal would have stood regardless of VAR if the ref was confident that he had a better view than the linesman.

dangermouse
06-12-2019, 01:51 PM
You may think it's boring but its essentially what's happened forever.

Not quite, referees do wave play on. It's happened at Easter Road where the linesman flagged for offside but the ref did not blow his whistle as the pass was by an opposition player (Falkirk) and the goal stood. We won 2-1 and lifted the Championship trophy or whatever it was called back then at full time

The referee couldn’t tell it was onside, if he could he absolutely doesn’t need any Lino’s as he’s superhuman. He just applied the rule the lino should’ve (ie not putting the flag up), once the flag goes up though the game should stop, 100%

Disagree, see above.

The flag going up is not, and never has been, the same as the whistle going. There have been many instances of a ref over-ruling a linesman's flag to let play go on, and so the striker was right to keep going. If the ref whistles, you stop, otherwise you play on.

Correct, see above.

We were always told to play to the whistle as kids, if the ref over-ruled the linesman and I'd stopped playing, either as a defender or an attacker, I'd have got slaughtered for it.

The fault here isn't with VAR, there's every chance that,as the ref has also played on, the goal would have stood regardless of VAR if the ref was confident that he had a better view than the linesman.

Agreed, play to the whistle. Funny how there's no football based game on TV called play to the flag. :greengrin

Bristolhibby
06-12-2019, 02:58 PM

This. It’s what I was taught and what I tell my son. Keep going. It’s up to the ref to referee the game.

Always play to the whistle.

J