PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 04 12 19)

Jonnyboy
05-12-2019, 01:24 AM
It’s a long old road back from Dingwall, made all the longer by having to make the trip having watched Hibs once again fail to keep a lead. There are fundamental problems that must be addressed with the January window offering a crucial opportunity to strengthen and that window simply must be utilised well. We don’t need stop gap squad fillers. We need a quality defensive midfielder and a quality central defender at the very least. Tonight we witnessed yet again just how soft we are down the middle of our team. A howler from the keeper and schoolboy defending by Paul Hanlon cost us two goals whilst at the other end we were either shot shy or trying to play the killer pass.

Our starting eleven showed one change with Boyle replacing Newell, the latter having suffered a calf injury whilst Whittaker filled the empty space on the bench. To be fair we started well enough but seemed to have problems with the extremely windy conditions. Passes were often weighted incorrectly and didn’t reach their target whilst County seemed content to go high and long with Stevenson targeted as he tried to keep out Stewart who was a good foot taller than him. On the other side, Naismith gave the ball away too cheaply at times but he did go on to improve during the first half and was unlucky to see a rocket shot hit the junction of bar and post with the County keeper well beaten.

Just after the half hour, Doidge broke the deadlock when he headed a Scott Allan cross towards goal and the County keeper couldn’t keep the effort out. Doidge might have scored again but his downward header bounced up and over the bar whilst Kamberi should have done a lot better than scuffing a poor effort right at their keeper.

At the other end Maxwell had to be quick to stop a Brian Graham flick from going over his head but that was really the only chance the home team had in a sloppy but often aggressive first half. County’s No. 24 scythed Scott Allan down but only earned a talking too whilst Porteous was rightly booked for a reckless challenge out wide on the right. There were five yellow cards in the game and I felt all were justified although that No. 24 got away with a few before finally having his name taken. That name was Harry Paton and I couldn’t help but feel he’d have provided the midfield bite we badly need right now.

The second half was pretty much as the first with many passes from both sides going astray but that all changed after around sixty five minutes when a cross to the far post by Mullin was swatted at by Maxwell with Ross Stewart left the easy task of heading the ball into the net. It was a dreadful error by the keeper it has to be said.

Once again, Hibs reacted badly to losing a goal and ten minutes later they lost another when a shocking attempted clearance by Hanlon allowed Stewart to head home what proved to be the winning goal.

I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking we were far too slow to bring on subs to change the shape as a few of the starting eleven were just not at the races. When Mallan, Shaw and Horgan did arrive only the first named made a positive difference with one of his trademark rasping drives that the County keeper did well to flick over the bar. To be fair, Hibs did push for a leveller but it never really looked like coming and so the unbeaten run comes to an end.

The players

Maxwell – One good first half save but that shocker of a superman impersonation should cost him the jersey in my opinion.

Naismith – Started poorly, got better but then finished poorly. I recall two passes and a cross that both sailed out of play.

Porteous – This is not going to be a popular view because Ryan tends to escape criticism whilst others in the back four get pelters but I thought he was poor tonight and that rash challenge for the booking was totally unnecessary.

Hanlon – Brian Graham gave him a hard time and his pathetic attempted clearance cost us the winning goal.

Stevenson – As I said, he was targeted and had little or no support in trying to deal with Stewart. Not his best game for Hibs but he wasn’t alone in that.

Slivka – I thought he had a decent enough first half, covering lots of ground but he struggled in the second and should have been replaced earlier.

Hallberg – Poor from him, the poorest yet and that free kick – straight into the wall – was horrendous.

Boyle – Certainly worked his socks off but seemed to get confused about his role. He was replacing Newell but didn’t contribute as Newell would have. He often ended up down a blind alley when he raced through with the ball at his feet.

Allan – Three men around him every time he got the ball and he took a fair few kicks tonight. I think he’s trying to force the killer pass and it ain’t working.

Kamberi – Caught on his heels umpteen times and he had that ‘dinnae want to be here’ vibe about him. No surprise that he was subbed.

Doidge – Another game, another goal for the big fella and he might have had a second but the ball came to him too quickly for him to adjust his feet.

Mallan – Dodged around trying to get involved and was unlucky with a raker that the keeper tipped over.

Shaw – Popped up on the right mostly but didn’t really offer any sort of a goal threat.

Horgan – Only got a few minutes.

Jack Ross – I hope he’s realised that we need fresh faces because the ones we’ve got are just not cutting the mustard right now.

The fans – Not the usual singers I don’t think. Was bizarre hearing them singing the Marvin Bartley song as news filtered through from Tynecastle.

The ref – I believe it was his first game at this level and by and large he did ok.

It’s now 2.22am and I’m knackered – too knackered to try and pick a man of the match from that lot!

AZhibee
05-12-2019, 03:11 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy, appreciate the work.

Doh Rae Me
05-12-2019, 03:40 AM
Enjoy your sleep, great report and tip of the hat to all supporters who made the journey.

fishybeaver
05-12-2019, 05:22 AM
Good summary, thanks

Since452
05-12-2019, 05:25 AM
I think Newell will be right back in the team if he's available on Saturday

BILLYHIBS
05-12-2019, 05:31 AM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

Once again an invaluable and greatly appreciated match report

Unfortunately it seems to have Hecky stamped all over it and we are left with that all too familiar feeling of deja vu

We all seen this coming and thankfully the Board preempted things by appointing Jack Ross

Time for JR to put his own mark on the team no time for sentiment the Scottish Cup win was over three years ago and we are all getting older

Time to move on

danderchook
05-12-2019, 06:53 AM
Kudos to you and the other 552 hardy souls who pitched up last night , you all deserve so much better :not worth:not worth

Brightside
05-12-2019, 06:58 AM
For his own good it sounds like Ross should swap Hanlon for Jackson for a few games. The supporters are going to start getting on his back based on this forum, and as you point out other will escape criticism.

Smartie
05-12-2019, 07:04 AM
For his own good it sounds like Ross should swap Hanlon for Jackson for a few games. The supporters are going to start getting on his back based on this forum, and as you point out other will escape criticism.

I haven’t seen the highlights from last night but apart from the Celtic semi final I think Hanlon’s been good for the past 10 games or so.

If Ross starts reacting to criticism from fans st this stage then we’re in trouble.

It sounds like last night the defence cost us but all season long I’ve been more concerned about the midfield and I maintain that’s where most of our problems lie.

Brightside
05-12-2019, 07:15 AM
I haven’t seen the highlights from last night but apart from the Celtic semi final I think Hanlon’s been good for the past 10 games or so.

If Ross starts reacting to criticism from fans st this stage then we’re in trouble.

It sounds like last night the defence cost us but all season long I’ve been more concerned about the midfield and I maintain that’s where most of our problems lie.

Hanlon has had his best run for about a year in the last 6/7 games. We had commentators drooling about how good he was in a game just last week.

jacomo
05-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Thanks again JB. Another great report and a brilliant effort in getting this written up after a midweek away trip to Dingwall.

It sounds like individual errors were our downfall: defensive howlers and spurning chances at the other end.

The biggest problem it seems to me is a lack of authority in midfield. If we had more control there then the back line wouldn’t be under such relentless pressure.

The fact that the same team and same subs are being used every game shows the weaknesses in the squad.

Stuart93
05-12-2019, 08:15 AM

Or he could drop him cause he’s been poor

He’s not had a “good run” either especially not as part as a defence leaking goals.

GreenCastle
05-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Hanlon isn’t our issue.

I agree his form his improved since he has had consistency next to him and more protection in front of him.

Hibs issues...Heckys recruitment - Every week I say it but midfield and no CDM.

Lack of another striker.

I also think we just aren’t fit enough - we rarely have seen a full 90 min performance of domination of a team.

Opposition often have long spells against us and there is only so much defending you can do before you concede.

Happy for Doidge to score again but it feels Hibs need to score 2 or 3 to see a game out as physically and mentally we struggle to see games out.

The next run of games we will see less ball so going to be interesting to see how we do. Might suit us on counter but would’t be surprised if the old firm take a few goals off us in one of the games.

number9dream
05-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Slotting Boyle into Newell's left midfield position was a bit odd and, as the report says, he never looked comfortable in the role.
It does highlight a lack of depth, with there being no obvious replacement in the current formation.
Would James have been a better option or Whittaker or Murray? A change of formation might have been better. Vela would appear to be completely out of the picture now.
Our defensive failings have been covered by others but we need to improve in front of goal too. We can't keep relying on this run of rather fortuitous goals from Doidge.
Need a win on Saturday or it looks like we are "reverting to type" after a post-Hecky lift.

Jones28
05-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Slotting Boyle into Newell's left midfield position was a bit odd and, as the report says, he never looked comfortable in the role.
It does highlight a lack of depth, with there being no obvious replacement in the current formation.
Would James have been a better option or Whittaker or Murray? A change of formation might have been better. Vela would appear to be completely out of the picture now.
Our defensive failings have been covered by others but we need to improve in front of goal too. We can't keep relying on this run of rather fortuitous goals from Doidge.
Need a win on Saturday or it looks like we are "reverting to type" after a post-Hecky lift.

Surely Murray, a left sided and left footed midfielder would be the better option? Is he fit?

Or Middleton even?

Last night smacked of putting a square peg in a round hole by putting Boyle on the left.

brog
05-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Thanks John, hope you had a good sleep!! Without having been there or even having seen highlights yet, can I offer a slightly different view to prior comments? Basically I believe if Kamberi turns up we usually win. His performance at St J was outstanding & in that mood he's almost unstoppable, similarly against Motherwell. When he's on song he's a hugely valuable asset for us & potentially our most talented player. However!!!! When he sulks, hides, tries little flicks that go nowhere & generally looks like he'd rather be anywhere than playing football then not only does he not add to the team, he's a major negative influence. It's often said that a team's forwards/strikers are our 1st line of defence. Last night we effectively only had 2 out & out midfielders, Slivka & Hallberg' & neither of them are really ballwinners. If the forwards aren't closing down then the pressure's on our sparse midfield & then our defence. It seems as if 2 individual defensive errors cost us the game but our defending should start in the opposition half & every player has a responsibility to play their part. I can forgive errors by players, I can't forgive a player not giving 100%!

brog
05-12-2019, 09:40 AM
Surely Murray, a left sided and left footed midfielder would be the better option? Is he fit?

Or Middleton even?

Last night smacked of putting a square peg in a round hole by putting Boyle on the left.

Murray scored 2 for the development team this week, including a 25 yard left footed shot, though he's not actually left footed! I agree he would have been a better option to replace Newell, I hope he returns to the fold soon.

Kojock
05-12-2019, 09:55 AM
That second half performance was one of the worse 45 mins I’ve seen in a long time and that’s saying something.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2019, 10:01 AM
That second half performance was one of the worse 45 mins I’ve seen in a long time and that’s saying something.

Posted elsewhere, but what really annoyed me, was that I thought it was all down to attitude. We came out for the second half and thought we could just stroll through it. If we’d played with any kind of intensity we’d have got a result because they’re a poor side.

Kojock
05-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Posted elsewhere, but what really annoyed me, was that I thought it was all down to attitude. We came out for the second half and thought we could just stroll through it. If we’d played with any kind of intensity we’d have got a result because they’re a poor side.

The fact that County are so poor only makes the 2nd half performance even more frustrating.

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2019, 10:12 AM

It really was a woeful second half display

Jonnyboy
05-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Murray scored 2 for the development team this week, including a 25 yard left footed shot, though he's not actually left footed! I agree he would have been a better option to replace Newell, I hope he returns to the fold soon.

Fraser should be involved, I agree ✅

Jones28
05-12-2019, 01:29 PM

He sounds like he’s properly 2 footed ✅

kaimendhibs
05-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Good report thanks. I have supported Maxwell but that was truly awful for the first goal. Thought Hanlon was decent but wow, what a balls up for the 2nd.
What really gets me is our failure at one end to stop and defend crosses and our failure to deliver decent ones at the other end.
Lioks that Kamberi has got bored again.
Mega round trip after a 4am start at work weds morning and work this morning.
Shades of a hecky type performance.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
05-12-2019, 06:43 PM
I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking we were far too slow to bring on subs to change the shape as a few of the starting eleven were just not at the races. When Mallan, Shaw and Horgan did arrive only the first named made a positive difference with one of his trademark rasping drives that the County keeper did well to flick over the bar. To be fair, Hibs did push for a leveller but it never really looked like coming and so the unbeaten run comes to an end.

you weren't, jack ross/players didn't learn from the killie game, both games losing a goal just after the hour

5 points p@zzed away in just two games

CMurdoch
05-12-2019, 08:41 PM

Decided not to go last night after the appalling performance at Paisley the previous week.
Hats off to the guys and gals that did but must be honest and admit I was pleased i didn't make the mega long mid week journey (wasn't saying that during the 1st half).

The effect of the 2 up front is wearing off for everyone after a nice wee run.
Time to go to 3 at the back now?
McGregor in the middle directing and cajoling Hanlon on one side and Porteous on his other.

and 5 in midfield so they don't run out of petrol after an hour.

Now the run is at an end Ross will feel he has licence to start changing the shape and personnel.
Murray and Middleton are due an invite back into the match day squad to add some energy and vitality.
It will be interesting to see what he decides on.

brog
06-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Thanks John, hope you had a good sleep!! Without having been there or even having seen highlights yet, can I offer a slightly different view to prior comments? Basically I believe if Kamberi turns up we usually win. His performance at St J was outstanding & in that mood he's almost unstoppable, similarly against Motherwell. When he's on song he's a hugely valuable asset for us & potentially our most talented player. However!!!! When he sulks, hides, tries little flicks that go nowhere & generally looks like he'd rather be anywhere than playing football then not only does he not add to the team, he's a major negative influence. It's often said that a team's forwards/strikers are our 1st line of defence. Last night we effectively only had 2 out & out midfielders, Slivka & Hallberg' & neither of them are really ballwinners. If the forwards aren't closing down then the pressure's on our sparse midfield & then our defence. It seems as if 2 individual defensive errors cost us the game but our defending should start in the opposition half & every player has a responsibility to play their part. I can forgive errors by players, I can't forgive a player not giving 100%!

Having finally forced myself to watch the "highlights" I believe my comments above are even more pertinent. For the winning goal Doidge loses the ball & in so doing takes Naismith, who's anticipating the pass from CD, out the game. The cross from the goal then comes from the open area on the left wing. It's a bit unfortunate to have to criticise CD because I saw him at least running about trying to close defenders down whereas my only sights of Flo were of him ambling about near the halfway line.