PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Guard? More than 11 could go.

Sammy7nil
04-12-2019, 09:04 PM
I think we need and we will see a big change over the next two windows if we can move players on, retire some and or reduce them to bit real part players.

James, Hanlon, McGregor, Gray, Stevenson, Horgan, Vela, Slivka, Newell, Mallan, Whittiker and Shaw can all be replaced.

delbert
04-12-2019, 09:06 PM
I think we need and we will see a big change over the next two windows if we can move players on, retire some and or reduce them to bit real part players.

James, Hanlon, McGregor, Gray, Stevenson, Horgan, Vela, Slivka, Newell, Mallan, Whittiker and Shaw can all be replaced.

No they all can’t, we don’t have the money, we live in the real world - I’d be happy if we prioritised the defence, that’s where good teams are built from and right now we aren’t a good team !

PISTOL1875
04-12-2019, 09:09 PM
i think 4 / 5 players and we would be a far better side..

Keeper first then getting rid of Hanlon and Stevenson would be advisable then a sitting midfielder who can put the boot in...

Maybe another forward as well.. It's not all doom and gloom as some portray....

Sammy7nil
04-12-2019, 09:10 PM
No they all can’t, we don’t have the money, we live in the real world - I’d be happy if we prioritised the defence, that’s where good teams are built from and right now we aren’t a good team !

If they go we do have the money :confused:

green day
04-12-2019, 09:12 PM
If they go we do have the money :confused:

He means that if you boot players out, you need to pay up their contracts which would cost a lot of money.

Sammy7nil
04-12-2019, 09:14 PM
He means that if you boot players out, you need to pay up their contracts which would cost a lot of money.

I never said boot anyone out, I think it is time to ask players to consider their future like Marvin and Fountaine

where'stheslope
04-12-2019, 09:16 PM

Is this what happens after 1 defeat? All of a sudden we are back at Heckie's door? New manager will always try out different things (like 2 up top) and different defensive partnerships, its all part of finding his best line up!!
Everyone knows that some players will have to leave, but it all takes time for contracts to run down, and remember, its not Ross's signings, once it is everyone will have the right to criticise, until then give the new guy a chance!!!!

The Modfather
04-12-2019, 09:18 PM

It will take longer than two windows but I do agree with your general point. Sentiment aside, I’d not lose sleep over any of the players listed leaving. Priority for me are a new LB, CB, DM & LM.

Sammy7nil
04-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Is this what happens after 1 defeat? All of a sudden we are back at Heckie's door? New manager will always try out different things (like 2 up top) and different defensive partnerships, its all part of finding his best line up!!
Everyone knows that some players will have to leave, but it all takes time for contracts to run down, and remember, its not Ross's signings, once it is everyone will have the right to criticise, until then give the new guy a chance!!!!

This what happens after months and months of under achievement. Who out of the players I mentioned should we fight to keep?

ancient hibee
04-12-2019, 09:58 PM
I never said boot anyone out, I think it is time to ask players to consider their future like Marvin and Fountaine
You mean volunteer to walk away from their contracts?

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2019, 10:03 PM
The whole lot can be replaced. They won't though because we cannot afford that. This is real life. We're Hibs, everyone is replaceable.

Michael
04-12-2019, 10:05 PM
Sign one quality defender and midfielder and we'd be a different side. You don't need 11 superstars to be a top team. One good player in each area will raise the levels of everyone else.

MrRobot
04-12-2019, 10:25 PM

Slivka and Newell have been 2 of our better players in the last few weeks and you’d ask them to consider their future elsewhere?

CloudSquall
04-12-2019, 10:47 PM
A new centre back, two full backs, and a new Marvin Bartley.

DavidDavidGray
04-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Whittaker, Stevenson, McGregor and Gray should be here until they retire. Not necessarily starting, even if it’s in a coaching-player role they offer great experience and can teach younger players/new players what it means to play for a club like Hibs. Hanlon I think is the only one that we’d be able to sell on and as he’s the youngest then I think he may leave soon. James and Vela won’t be here next season. Shaw probably needs to go as he just won’t be Top 6 standard. Slivka, Newell, Horgan and Mallan are all players I’d keep.

Frazerbob
04-12-2019, 10:56 PM
The over reaction to tonight’s game is hilarious

heretoday
04-12-2019, 10:56 PM
I think we need a complete new defence apart from Porteous.

Nicho87
04-12-2019, 10:58 PM
James, Jackson, Vela, Maxwell, Whittaker, Shaw, slivka, Middleton all dead wood in my opinion

DetroitHibs
04-12-2019, 11:06 PM
We need to be more ruthless and focus solely on the future, not the past. Giving McGregor and Gray four year deals was ludicrous. I don’t care if they are doing things behind the scenes, the product on the park should be the priority. Probably a combined wage of about £7000 a week right there.

Stuart93
04-12-2019, 11:09 PM
We need leaders. JR needs to sign leaders in January. Especially one in midfield who’ll do the dirty stuff.

Someone prepared to take the game by the scruff and get the rest of the team up for it.

Lex7zero
04-12-2019, 11:11 PM
i think 4 / 5 players and we would be a far better side..

Keeper first then getting rid of Hanlon and Stevenson would be advisable then a sitting midfielder who can put the boot in...

Maybe another forward as well.. It's not all doom and gloom as some portray....
Spot on Hanlon and Stevenson the softest part of a bloody soft team

Unseen work
04-12-2019, 11:12 PM

I cant believe people would actually want Mallan gone, who could we replace him with that’s better?

Yes he’s not a defensive midfielder but he offers a hell of a lot. Goals, passing, assists and set pieces.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for, whilst we undoubtedly need more quality in and in specific positions. It doesn’t mean everyone else is rubbish and needs punted.

We need good depth aswell and imo saying to get rid of guys like Mallan is silly.

For me Whittikar, Vela and Middleton can all leave with Murray and Shaw getting loan deals.

Mcgregor and Gray should never have been offered 4 year deals so that leaves us with getting rid of James or Naismith aswell as Hanlon or Jackson as we can’t justify too many in those positions.

Horgan and Slivka lack consistency but for me are again good squad players to have and can fill in.

The Tubs
04-12-2019, 11:13 PM
I'd give Porteous a break and get mcgregor back in. That's it.

The Tubs
04-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Na. Maybe stick bogdan in anaw.

Unseen work
04-12-2019, 11:27 PM

I’m actually with you on this. Think he’s had a few mistakes and sloppy moments creeping into his game and Hanlon has actually bailed him out on a few occasions.

Lex7zero
04-12-2019, 11:29 PM
James, Jackson, Vela, Maxwell, Whittaker, Shaw, slivka, Middleton all dead wood in my opinion

Good shout only Slivka out of that lot maybe gets a 2nd or 3rd chance.

Lex7zero
04-12-2019, 11:32 PM
I cant believe people would actually want Mallan gone, who could we replace him with that’s better?

Yes he’s not a defensive midfielder but he offers a hell of a lot. Goals, passing, assists and set pieces.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for, whilst we undoubtedly need more quality in and in specific positions. It doesn’t mean everyone else is rubbish and needs punted.

We need good depth aswell and imo saying to get rid of guys like Mallan is silly.

For me Whittikar, Vela and Middleton can all leave with Murray and Shaw getting loan deals.

Mcgregor and Gray should never have been offered 4 year deals so that leaves us with getting rid of James or Naismith aswell as Hanlon or Jackson as we can’t justify too many in those positions.

Horgan and Slivka lack consistency but for me are again good squad players to have and can fill in.

Totally agree with 90% of your comments but got to disagree re Mallen he can go with Hanlon ASAP.

Hibeesmad
04-12-2019, 11:44 PM
What is the craic with the younger players coming through? Are any of them looking like they have actual potential of becoming regular first team starters?

The 90+2
05-12-2019, 12:33 AM
Totally agree with 90% of your comments but got to disagree re Mallen he can go with Hanlon ASAP.

At lead get Mallans name right tbf.

Lex7zero
05-12-2019, 12:44 AM

At LEAST spell Least right ya frigging numpty.
This is why I stay clear of this site.

B.H.F.C
05-12-2019, 12:45 AM

Porteous is toiling just now. He's a young centre half who needs some help, but there is nobody there to help him at the moment.

Senior pros have been letting us down all season IMO. We need someone in there who is going to properly organise us and set some standards.

Since90+2
05-12-2019, 05:05 AM
We need to be more ruthless and focus solely on the future, not the past. Giving McGregor and Gray four year deals was ludicrous. I don’t care if they are doing things behind the scenes, the product on the park should be the priority. Probably a combined wage of about £7000 a week right there.

Won't be anywhere near 7k a week.

Hibbyradge
05-12-2019, 05:11 AM
Won't be anywhere near 7k a week.

You don't think our senior pros are getting 3.5k a week?

I certainly do.

Sammy7nil
05-12-2019, 05:37 PM
You mean volunteer to walk away from their contracts?

Ask them to find a team that will give them a game like Mar v if they are content to sit in the reserves then there is nothing we can do. But it will show people their characters.

Slivka and Newell have been 2 of our better players in the last few weeks and you’d ask them to consider their future elsewhere?

Slivka has had more than enough chances and still failed to convince me he is part of the solution.

No over reaction to tonight it is a reaction to months of under achievement. We have played them twice now conceded four goals and failed to win. They have not won in nine what should we expect?

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Correct, Be interested if they can comtinue their upturn in performances

Baldy Foghorn
05-12-2019, 05:59 PM

Porteous isn't the problem

lyonhibs
06-12-2019, 08:10 AM

:faf::faf:

In the run-up to every single transfer window we get these threads of the genre "<insert unfeasibly high number of players> are dead wood and need to go."

Down here on terra firma, it never, ever happens (unless the players mentioned are all loan players). And it won't happen this time either - "More than 11" indeed :faf::faf:.

Quality over quantity for me. We're only 3 or 4 players away from having a top 4 squad, when properly managed and set-up.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Did Mathie not talk about this once things has settled a bit - that mass clear out would not happen we take a longer term view?

It felt before Heckys departure we were calling for everyone’s head - Leeann, Doige, the entire recruitment team. Football forums the world over. Can get a bit crazy at times...

PaulSmith
07-12-2019, 08:33 AM

It’s not just tonight though is it, some of the points are very valid. Personally I don’t find our league position hilarious at all.

superfurryhibby
07-12-2019, 08:34 AM
You don't think our senior pros are getting 3.5k a week?

I certainly do.

Discussed in great detail previously on here. Long contracts, but no way at the wages you suggest senior pro's are on here (maybe some are, but not SDG or Daz) there's a longer term picture being played out here.

Ask them to find a team that will give them a game like Mar v if they are content to sit in the reserves then there is nothing we can do. But it will show people their characters.

No over reaction to tonight it is a reaction to months of under achievement. We have played them twice now conceded four goals and failed to win. They have not won in nine what should we expect?

Marv was out of contract. Not many players at our level walk away from a wage when they are unlikely to match it or get a big signing on fee elsewhere ...…….especially having failed at this level.

:faf::faf:

In the run-up to every single transfer window we get these threads of the genre "<insert unfeasibly high number of players> are dead wood and need to go."

Down here on terra firma, it never, ever happens (unless the players mentioned are all loan players). And it won't happen this time either - "More than 11" indeed :faf::faf:.

Quality over quantity for me. We're only 3 or 4 players away from having a top 4 squad, when properly managed and set-up.

This, three or four quality signings, in the key areas of right back, centre half, central midfield and left back.

Saying that, I would be delighted if we could persuade Vela, Jackson, Middleton and Maxwell to depart, replacing them with the likes of McGeouch, Bogdan, Ambrose and a versatile full back or two.

green day
07-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Slivka has had more than enough chances and still failed to convince me he is part of the solution.

Slivka has never had a sustained run in the team in a position he enjoys.

Jack Ross has - either through luck or jusdgement - found that a midfield role with a bit of a roving brief seems to suit and get the best out of his abilities.

He can get forward and has a bit of dig as well tracking back. His through ball to Naismith v Killie was a perfect example of where he is good going forward.

Under previous managers, especially when we had a brilliant midfield, he was almost invariably used as a sub in somewhere unsuitable for him (right wing for example) and then looked a bit lost.

I am certain that there is a player in there and definitely worth keeping.

Put it this way, if we listed our players in order of which need replaced / strengthened first, Slivka would be miles away from the top of that list.

MWHIBBIES
07-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Jack Ross has - either through luck or jusdgement - found that a midfield role with a bit of a roving brief seems to suit and get the best out of his abilities.

He can get forward and has a bit of dig as well tracking back. His through ball to Naismith v Killie was a perfect example of where he is good going forward.

Under previous managers, especially when we had a brilliant midfield, he was almost invariably used as a sub in somewhere unsuitable for him (right wing for example) and then looked a bit lost.

Put it this way, if we listed our players in order of which need replaced / strengthened first, Slivka would be miles away from the top of that list.

Spot on.

The Modfather
07-12-2019, 09:41 AM

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vykintas-slivka/leistungsdaten/spieler/190513/plus/0?saison=2018

Transfermarket show that Slivka played 36 matches last season totalling 2,472 minutes. That averages as 68 minutes each game. It doesn’t give the breakdown between positions played, but I think it’s becoming a Hibs.net “fact” that he’s “never never had a sustained run in the team in a position he enjoys”.

I’d also say that the position he plays is one of they priority areas that need strengthened. I agree that there would be other players I’d move on before him, but I don’t ever see him as anything more than a squad player if we are serious about competing for 3rd/4th.

Brightside
07-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Are you 7 years old?

Smartie
07-12-2019, 10:19 AM
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vykintas-slivka/leistungsdaten/spieler/190513/plus/0?saison=2018

Transfermarket show that Slivka played 36 matches last season totalling 2,472 minutes. That averages as 68 minutes each game. It doesn’t give the breakdown between positions played, but I think it’s becoming a Hibs.net “fact” that he’s “never never had a sustained run in the team in a position he enjoys”.

I’d also say that the position he plays is one of they priority areas that need strengthened. I agree that there would be other players I’d move on before him, but I don’t ever see him as anything more than a squad player if we are serious about competing for 3rd/4th.

He had a sustained run in the team through December and January last season - when we (and he) had some excellent performances.

He came into the side a few games ago, we had our best run of form of the season so far and imo was motm last Saturday.

Any problems we currently have are nothing to do with Slivka.

I reckon we’re about to see that miraculous “bounce in form and sustained spell free of injury” that you often get from players in the last few months of their contract.

Keith_M
07-12-2019, 10:26 AM

:agree:

JohnMcM
07-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Are you 7 years old?

Don't you just love the reasoned debates on here at times? :rolleyes:

The Modfather
07-12-2019, 11:01 AM
He had a sustained run in the team through December and January last season - when we (and he) had some excellent performances.

He came into the side a few games ago, we had our best run of form of the season so far and imo was motm last Saturday.

Any problems we currently have are nothing to do with Slivka.

I reckon we’re about to see that miraculous “bounce in form and sustained spell free of injury” that you often get from players in the last few months of their contract.

Slivka has improved the side since he’s come in and gives the midfield it’s best balance from what we have. He’s not the reason for the teams deficiencies/problems but nor do I think he’s the answer to those issues either.

Brightside
07-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Don't you just love the reasoned debates on here at times? :rolleyes:

I’d love something to debate about. It’s a ridiculous thread.

green day
07-12-2019, 11:11 AM

I dont want to argue with you on this, but the bit in bold is the key bit for me. If we kept moving Scott Allan from the tip of a diamond to right wing, to pseudo DM I am fairly sure his performances would drop off.

You might be right about him being a squad player, but we need squad players.........

Sammy7nil
07-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Are you 7 years old?

Are you a troll :rolleyes:

And what is unreasonable about my post and who of those mentioned should we be fighting to keep?

The Tubs
07-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Porteous isn't the problem

I don't think so too, but I think mcgregor might be the solution. Even five at the back, as has been put forward, might do the trick.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2019, 11:25 AM

Slivka needs to find some consistency. Excellent last week, anonymous on Wednesday.

I’d argue that midfield is a massive weakness and Slivka is definitely playing for his future in the next six months.

Smartie
07-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Slivka needs to find some consistency. Excellent last week, anonymous on Wednesday.

I’d argue that midfield is a massive weakness and Slivka is definitely playing for his future in the next six months.

Midfield is definitely our weakness.

If we’re to play the diamond (an idea I’m not against, even just part of the time) then we need a proper defensive midfielder. If we get that then Slivka, Hallberg and Newell can fight it out for the places behind Allan. Hallberg has done ok there but I don’t think it’s his natural game.

I still think the closest we are to having a good team with our current players is by going 352.

MWHIBBIES
07-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Could easily list many Hibs players, ones considered top players on here, who struggled with consistency. It's up to the coaching staff to help him with that and him to adapt and improve. Guy is definitely worth keeping.

hibee-boys
07-12-2019, 11:45 AM
I fully expect Porteous to be the only surviving member of the current back 5 that Jack Ross will be relying on from next season.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Could easily list many Hibs players, ones considered top players on here, who struggled with consistency. It's up to the coaching staff to help him with that and him to adapt and improve. Guy is definitely worth keeping.

Needs to earn a new contract. If he was to leave Hibs tomorrow none of the bigger sides in the league would take him.

Sammy7nil
07-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Needs to earn a new contract. If he was to leave Hibs tomorrow none of the bigger sides in the league would take him.

I am not sure any would take him certainly not matching his current wage. When he leaves Hibs I think his next club will be out with the UK that may suit him better.

Brightside
07-12-2019, 12:14 PM
I fully expect Porteous to be the only surviving member of the current back 5 that Jack Ross will be relying on from next season.

Well that’s not going to happen.

Smartie
07-12-2019, 12:19 PM

I fully expect a few ice ages to come and go, a few meteorite strikes to happen, the human race to have ended and the planet Earth to be a giant fireball and Lewis Stevenson will still be seeing off challengers for the left-back position.

And somehow folk will still be moaning.

B.H.F.C
07-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Don’t see why not. End of loan for one and two ageing, under performing players on the other side.

Sammy7nil
07-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Why ?

Gray and McGregor won't be first picks James does not look good enough, Jackson has not established himself, according to .net Hanlon has gone. Naismith on loan, Stevenson needs competition and on current form i don't think he would win.

So who will be in our defence next year?

Sammy7nil
07-12-2019, 01:30 PM
I fully expect a few ice ages to come and go, a few meteorite strikes to happen, the human race to have ended and the planet Earth to be a giant fireball and Lewis Stevenson will still be seeing off challengers for the left-back position.

And somehow folk will still be moaning.

I will be surprised if he is first pick in August next year and if he is we can expect to continue to leak far too many goals.

Keith_M
07-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha, ha ha

keep the faith
07-12-2019, 04:12 PM
i think we need and we will see a big change over the next two windows if we can move players on, retire some and or reduce them to bit real part players.

James, hanlon, mcgregor, gray, stevenson, horgan, vela, slivka, newell, mallan, whittiker and shaw can all be replaced.

lol

Jim44
07-12-2019, 04:26 PM
It’s a real bu&&er when a fluky win puts a spanner in the works of folk who demand wholesale changes in January. I hope we don’t get too many more wins or we might have to see out the season with a team incapable of winning. :cb

The Modfather
07-12-2019, 04:34 PM
It’s a real bu&&er when a fluky win puts a spanner in the works of folk who demand wholesale changes in January. I hope we don’t get too many more wins or we might have to see out the season with a team incapable of winning. :cb

A good win and we suddenly no longer have any deficiencies in the squad. Am I doing this reactionary trolling correctly?

Jim44
07-12-2019, 04:38 PM
A good win and we suddenly no longer have any deficiencies in the squad. Am I doing this reactionary trolling correctly?

Of course we’re far from the finished article but we don’t need to get rid of more that half the squad.

The Modfather
07-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Of course we’re far from the finished article but we don’t need to get rid of more that half the squad.

I’ve not seen anyone saying they want to indiscriminately get rid of 10 or so players and they don’t care which 10. I’ve seen debates about whether we could or should look to replace certain players who we either don’t get enough games out of or aren’t getting enough/consistent enough contribution to the team from. Some players I agree with, others I don’t. I can’t see how it’s an unreasonable debate to be had given the struggles last season and this season, great win today or not.