PDA

View Full Version : Case for the defence

Scottie
04-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Is there one ?

Time for Jack to clear the decks. This defence needs overhauling rapidly.

Maxwell, Hanlon, Stevenson haven't been at the races of late. Legends or not they need dropped and replaced. CHANGE IS NEEDED NOW.

Diclonius
04-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Sadly, have to agree.

Of all the defenders we have right now, the only one I'd be bothered to keep would be Porteous. Maxwell needs dropped too.

Sammy7nil
04-12-2019, 08:41 PM
I rest my case M'lud :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Defending is a team game. Defending is drilled into that team by the manager and coaching staff.

Heisenberg
04-12-2019, 08:44 PM
I agree change is required but who plays left back instead? We’ve got absolutely no one else. Got to ride it out till January and see who Ross can bring in. Midfield needs a defensive player too.

Weegreenman
04-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Is there one ?

Maxwell, Hanlon, Stevenson haven't been at the races of late. Legends or not they need dropped and replaced.

Haven’t seen Maxwell do much wrong although apparently he was at fault tonight. We were a soft touch long before he arrived. The other two you mention have been good servants but they’re time as nailed on first eleven starters has well and truly passed.
Opposition attackers must rub their hands in anticipation when up against those two.

Speedway
04-12-2019, 08:45 PM
3-5-2 fixes this.

Pretty Boy
04-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Ross has been clever in the way he has spoken so far. He's hinted he might not have to do much in January and he trusts the players already here. I'm not sure we will do a huge amount next month, it's not an easy window to do really good business. We'll shuffle the pack a bit and I'd expect a defender and midfielder to come in but our big business will be done in the summer.

What Ross says and what he thinks will be 2 different things though. No way he'll be anything other than fuming after Saturday and today. He'll already be looking ahead to the summer and areas he wants to improve and the defence will be pretty close to the top of the list imo.

MWHIBBIES
04-12-2019, 08:48 PM
3-5-2 fixes this.

Definitely doesn't. Record with it last season was horrendous. Systems needs to be taught and learned, they are not plug and play

we are hibs
04-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Another january window spent chasing around after the summer windows failures. Is that 3 in a row now?

Hermit Crab
04-12-2019, 08:51 PM
Is there one ?

Maxwell, Hanlon, Stevenson haven't been at the races of late. Legends or not they need dropped and replaced. CHANGE IS NEEDED NOW.

Hanlon and Stevenson need to go. Very poor again tonight.

Brightside
04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
3-5-2 fixes this.

I agree. The diamond is killing us defensively.

Hiber-nation
04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
Afraid Hanlon has been poor all season. Every striker in this league will be rubbing their hands at the thought of coming up against him. Has to be the first priority - left sided centre back.

EI255
04-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Sadly, have to agree.

Of all the defenders we have right now, the only one I'd be bothered to keep would be Porteous. Maxwell needs dropped too.Totally agree [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
04-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Efe and Porteous worked well together.

If there is a deal that can be done I seriously hope we are considering it.

EI255
04-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Another january window spent chasing around after the summer windows failures. Is that 3 in a row now?Same old. Same old.

It's no wonder we rarely have to dust down our passports. Every season is the same.

Hopefully Jack Ross rectifies this.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

1875Sean
04-12-2019, 09:00 PM
A solid keeper would do wonders for the same back 4

Heckys Wheel
04-12-2019, 09:08 PM
A solid keeper would do wonders for the same back 4

I very much doubt that

emerald green
04-12-2019, 09:25 PM
As a team, defensively, Hibs are far too weak and soft both mentally and physically, and lack strong leadership on the pitch.

Also, one strong physical player coming into midfield for example isn't going to turn that around. It requires every player to play his part.

The 90+2
04-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Efe and Porteous worked well together.

If there is a deal that can be done I seriously hope we are considering it.

I’ve no idea at all why we wouldn’t bring Ambrose in if he’s available to us. It’s as staring us in the face as a defensive midfielder was before we brought in Josh Vela.

The 90+2
04-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Afraid Hanlon has been poor all season. Every striker in this league will be rubbing their hands at the thought of coming up against him. Has to be the first priority - left sided centre back.

He’s been ***** since he came back from injury early and he got torn apart one night in Motherwell during the Lennon bingo weeks.

Hibs90
04-12-2019, 09:41 PM
No room for sentiment. Hanlon and Stevenson are done. Like I also said too, Porteous makes a fair few mistakes during a game also but he is a young guy still learning. Naismith is a bang average player at best and will probably end up at Ross County after this season.

Thanks to them both but they need replaced by better players. I can never remember a single moment in their careers where they have managed to deal with a cross into the box.

The 90+2
04-12-2019, 09:45 PM
No room for sentiment. Hanlon and Stevenson are done. Like I also said too, Porteous makes a fair few mistakes during a game also. Naismith is a bang average player at best and will probably end up at Ross County after this season.

Thanks to them both but they need replaced by better players. I can never remember a single moment in their careers where they have managed to deal with a cross into the box.

Hanlon manages better with Daz beside him as Daz is the leader. Lewis gets absolutely no protection but we signed James as an alternative to left back and he’s Morton material. We go three at the Back, get Efe in and it would be a lot more solid.

hibbysam
04-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Hanlon takes pelters weekly, and I’m not in anyway saying he’s blameless, but since the hearts game he’s made far fewer errors than his central defensive partner. I see Porteous as having a bit future, but he needs to start doing the basics better and using his brain, not getting into a massive wrestling match with players he’s not going to win it against.

Lex7zero
04-12-2019, 11:15 PM
Is there one ?

Spot on anyone that’s knows anything about footie knows that Hanlon has been rank for years and although I love wee Lewis he is the other weakest link. Time for both to go.

Brightside
05-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Spot on anyone that’s knows anything about footie knows that Hanlon has been rank for years and although I love wee Lewis he is the other weakest link. Time for both to go.

You clearly know nothing about football. Like zero maybe.

Greenworld
05-12-2019, 07:30 AM
Before JR came most said we need a CH if mcgregor is ready to play then short term at least porteous and mcgregor is your middle two .
We have a reasonable player almost ready to make a comeback in SDG.
Left back is a position I would like us to sign someone in January. To be fair to Lewis he is often left exposed though.
Goalkeeper wise I don't know what's happening that anyone's guess.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Dmas
05-12-2019, 07:31 AM
I very much doubt that

He’s got a fair point, solid keeper comes and takes the ball off Hanlons head for the second, punches or stays on his line for the first of yesterday’s goals, Maxwell’s decision making is poor, could easily have saw red against Motherwell, it can’t help the defenders not knowing what that guy is going to do.

scooby
05-12-2019, 07:46 AM
I thought Hanlon had a good game against Killie, but the diamond leaves us really exposed in the wings.
Lewis always puts in a shift, but going forward his final ball is often disappointing.
I agree about Ambrose, seems a no brainer to get him in.
We're definitely missing a fit SDG, Hanlon isn't a leader.

Gypsy King
05-12-2019, 09:52 AM
Hanlon and Stevenson need to go. Very poor again tonight.

Im trying to remember the last time Hanlon had a good game in a hibs jersey. Needs dropped

Hakim Sar
05-12-2019, 10:03 AM
This won't be a popular opinion on here but I've never rated Hanlon. I've often thought that he is remarkably poor.

He was a member of one of our greatest teams and a legend in every right, but he has also been a member of some of our most shambolic teams too.

Grateful for his service but time for him to go to a Dundee United or a Motherwell or something.

Id love to see Efe back, but I also find Porteous very raw, unrefined and rash... Potentially a dangerous combo there.

As for Lewis... I'd keep him. We all know his flaws but I think he still has a role to play for us.

The times they are a changin'...

SideBurns
05-12-2019, 10:53 AM
I still think Hanlon & Stevenson are good players - not 2016/2017 vintage, but as individuals good enough for this league. However, neither of them are natural leaders on the park. At their best, they had guys like McGinn, Gray, McGregor and Bartley alongside them. Without such characters, both Paul & Lewis are looking a bit lost, I'd suggest.

At least Hanlon has a bit of competition for his place (especially if Daz is on his way back). I'm not aware of a better left back than Lewis at ER, even when he isn't in top form.

fulshie
05-12-2019, 01:57 PM
The problem we have at the moment isn't all the defences problem. I feel the midfield is more to blame as it seems to collapse after 1hr of every game and creates pressure on the defence. We need a strong defensive midfielder to shore that up. Take last season, we lost 39 goals and this season we have already lost 29 and we're not even half through. The difference is we had Bartley and Milligan, 2 strong defence protecting midfielders and they weren't replaced.