PDA

View Full Version : Bob Willis RIP

G B Young
04-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Iconic figure from my childhood:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/50655612

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-12-2019, 03:30 PM
That's a great shame, spent many a rainy school summer holiday day in the 80s watching him, Beefy etc.

Hiber-nation
04-12-2019, 04:07 PM
That's a great shame, spent many a rainy school summer holiday day in the 80s watching him, Beefy etc.

Aye me too, will never forget him charging in with that long hair all over the place in the 81 Test v the Aussies. Especially Headingly 1981.

Edit: Just noticed Hutchy's reference to school hols....I was obviously past that phase by 1981!

JeMeSouviens
04-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Aye me too, will never forget him charging in with that long hair all over the place in the 81 Test v the Aussies. Especially Headingly 1981.

:agree:

What a head of steam he got up, What a head of hair! :not worth

70 is no age. :-(

lord bunberry
04-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Really sad to hear this, he was a great bowler and a tremendous pundit. There can’t be many bowlers ever to be made captain of England.

Mibbes Aye
04-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Really sad to hear this, he was a great bowler and a tremendous pundit. There can’t be many bowlers ever to be made captain of England.

Indeed not. I can think of Botham and Flintoff but they were all-rounders.

Ray Illingworth captained England for a spell back in his day, though he was a spinner.

I think there is definitely a pervading mindset in Test cricket that your skipper should be continuously in the slips or at worst relatively close in and square on the off side to get the best view of the action. It also helps when making decisions to review, if the skip is right there at the stumps.

That predicates it to being a batsman and also smooths over the potential issue of a captain over-bowling themselves as they feel responsible for their team’s plight.

Anyway, RIP Bob Willis. From the tributes I have heard today it sounds like he had a rich range of interests outwith cricket and as a commentator he wasn’t afraid to be trenchant.

DaveF
05-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Real shame. He had that dry, grumpy persona on telly but was very happy to laugh at himself too.

Rip Bob.

JimBHibees
05-12-2019, 03:41 PM

Agree totally very sad to hear was only recently he was on tv talking about the ashes. His bowling was superb especially his spell in the Headinly test when England won when being 500 to 1. Can also remember him winding up Viv Richards who then smashed Bob round the park. Very sad news.

heretoday
05-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Great to see him steaming in back in the days when cricketers were characters.