PDA

View Full Version : Crosses into our box

eastcoasthibby
01-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Is it just me but it feels like we allow some amount of crosses or balls to come into our box in almost every game ..even when we have defenders, midfieldes or even forwards there seems to be a lack of desire or commitment to stop the opposion put the ball in the box, it feels like I will run towards or beside them and it will look like I am doing my job...and the defence can deal with it . ..maybe if we have a greater desire to stop this side of the game the amount of goals we lose will be reduced ..

Partyraiser
01-12-2019, 08:51 AM
It's not just you! I said this to my old boy yesterday. The amount of crosses we allowed into our box on Tuesday night was bonkers but we defended them well. Yesterday was the same and we didn't defend one well and it's cost us

Stuart93
01-12-2019, 09:07 AM
Said the same at the game yesterday. We need to stop crosses into the box because we seem to struggle defending balls into the box especially against better teams

AlbertK86
01-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Totally agree ... been like that for a long time but especially bad this season especially down our left side. Our inability to clear the ball firmly on the lft defensive side has been a problem for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weegreenman
01-12-2019, 09:23 AM
A panic seems to set in if we have a lead to hold onto. I think that’s seven times we’ve relinquished a lead this season.

We’re still a soft touch, I think that’s basically the bottom line.

Old favourites such as Hanlon and Stevenson may well need to be replaced by a more aggressive type.

Jones28
01-12-2019, 09:26 AM
Playing 2 narrow midfielders on the left and right means we concede the wide areas making it easier to get crosses into the box. It puts a lot more pressure on the defence but it seems like we are coping with it ok.

It seems to have worked against teams that are lower in the league but better teams with better crossers we will be punished.

B.H.F.C
01-12-2019, 09:33 AM
I know we’re playing narrow at the moment but it’s been an issue all season. Stevenson in particular, seems totally incapable of stopping crosses. The number one job a full back has is to stop the ball, or player, coming in to the box and we just don’t do it.

There are so many examples of hopeful balls in to the box resulting in goals. Other players guilty of not dealing with second balls either. We don’t have the grit, determination or instinct to defend and until we get some players in that do, the same thing will keep happening.

J-C
01-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Playing with the narrow diamond means you give up space out wide, the fullbacks and centre halfs need to concentrate and keep their shape.

MrRobot
01-12-2019, 10:15 AM
I know we’re playing narrow at the moment but it’s been an issue all season. Stevenson in particular, seems totally incapable of stopping crosses. The number one job a full back has is to stop the ball, or player, coming in to the box and we just don’t do it.

There are so many examples of hopeful balls in to the box resulting in goals. Other players guilty of it dealing with second balls either. We don’t have the grit, determination or instinct to defend and until we get some players in that do, the same thing will keep happening.

Thought i was gonna have a fit when Stevenson weakly tried clearing the ball with the outside of his foot in the box yesterday

Heisenberg
01-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Definitely an issue. For their equaliser both hibs players ambled out and turned their back on the ball. No desire to stop the ball going in.

Also, Doidge has a shocker when trying to clear it for their first. No idea what he was trying.

DTS
01-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Definitely an issue. For their equaliser both hibs players ambled out and turned their back on the ball. No desire to stop the ball going in.

Also, Doidge has a shocker when trying to clear it for their first. No idea what he was trying.

Wasn’t so much a clearance as blocking the first shot going in?

B.H.F.C
01-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Thought that at the time. Looked like he could just have kicked it away.

Deansy
01-12-2019, 11:18 AM
One of my biggest complaints with us - our backs 'shadow' opposing-players but seem loathe to actually tackling them !.

Vault Boy
01-12-2019, 11:25 AM
When Football Stewart used to do the SPFL radars on Twitter, I remember Lewy's main weakness was his lack of blocked crosses.

Jason Naismith was always one of the best defensive full backs in the league and his blocked crosses stats were good.

Conversely I don't remember Stevenson having anything to do with the two we conceded yesterday. Although, that doesn't mean that there weren't some crosses from that side that might have been blocked.

emerald green
01-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Hibs need to learn and improve how they defend generally, as a team. Not just stopping the amount of crosses finding their way into our penalty box.

Over to the head coach/coaches at HTC.

hibsmad
02-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Just watched the highlights and Hanlon was far too slow getting out to block the cross for the equaliser.

Before that, Stevenson was even worse when trying to block the cross from O'Donnell. The cross where the Killie player stretches for it at the back post and just puts it wide. He literally just stands off him and even turns his back as he crosses it.

This was doing my nut at the game and it seems even worse when watching it back. Nothing to do with shape or a narrow midfield. Just professional footballers not closing down their man.