PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Kilmarnock 30 11 19)

Jonnyboy
30-11-2019, 07:55 PM
As Greavsie used to say, ‘It’s a funny old game’ and there was a perfect example of his reasoning in today’s 2 -2 draw at Easter Road. Following a first 45 minutes that was as good as I’ve seen Hibs play in a long, long time we still managed to throw away victory due to a last minute strike from Kilmarnock. That late goal meant that Hibs have now dropped a possible 14 points this season due to not being able to see out a game from a winning position. It’s all ifs and buts I know but had we won those 14 points we’d be sitting comfortably in third place.

It was bitterly cold and there seemed to be a few little patches of surface ice on the pitch and I wondered if Hibs had watered the surface and that had created those patches. As it turned out, those patches caused no difficulty to the players and might have melted with Hibs turning in a red hot 45 minutes playing towards the Dunbar end. Not since the days of Mowbray and then Collins have I witnessed a Hibs that put so much effort into winning the ball back. Killie players were given no time to think with Hallberg and Slivka in particular winning back the ball in midfield.

The visiting defenders were worked very hard in the opening half as Hibs swarmed around the penalty area creating half chances and making Branescu earn his corn between the posts. There was some quite glorious combination play and the Killie keeper had to be on his toes on numerous occasions as Kamberi, Newell and Doidge tested his ability.

Given the fine play on display it was quite ironic that the Hibs opener was not a thing of great beauty. Out on the left, Scott Allan sent in a high floating cross which the Killie defenders decided to let Branescu deal with but Christian Doidge had different ideas and as the ball dropped out of the sky the Killie man failed to see the Hibs striker ghost in to reach the ball first and send it high into the air before it dropped down over the line, much to the delight of the home support.

It was all Hibs and Hallberg earned the gasps of the crowd as his strike flew just wide and then Newell delivered a fine ball down the right channel which Doidge reached first. He skipped round the challenge of Bruce but his fierce drive was right at the keeper. Kamberi had gotten himself into the box but was not picked out but who can blame an in form striker for having a go? At the other end, Maxwell was a virtual spectator but had to react smartly when Sow finally managed a shot on goal.

It was obvious from the off in the second half that Killie were going to play a good ten or fifteen yards further up the pitch than they had done in the first half. That stopped Hibs from unchallenged building from the back and the home side had an early scare when McKenzie hit an effort straight at Maxwell. Not too long after that the home side doubled its lead and the goal came from some fantastic interplay that started wide on the left. Stevenson and Newall battled for possession and the ball then reached Scott Allan who played a one two with Doidge before running diagonally towards the Killie goal. He then slid the ball into the path of the advancing Slivka who timed his pass to perfection to find Naismith on the wide right of the box. Only Jason knows whether he meant to do what he did but his rocket shot flew into the top of the net before Branescu could move.

This further setback seemed to galvanise Killie into trying to create some chances of their own and a long range O’Donnell effort flew just over the bar before McKenzie got in a close range but was thwarted by a fine block by Maxwell. At this point, Killie decided to make some changes by replacing the ineffective McKenzie and even more ineffective Sow with Jackson and the speedy Liam Miller. Soon they began to dominate possession and Hibs’ reaction to the changes was to replace a tiring Scott Allan with Stevie Mallan. Unfortunately for the Hibs substitute he’d only been on the park for about a minute when Killie pulled a goal back. A bog standard corner saw a Killie man leap to head the ball towards goal. Doidge was covering that post and had to stoop to block the effort but the ball pinged off his chest to Alex Bruce who rifled a shot home from close range.

Hibs were not getting forward quickly or often enough and so Jack Ross replaced first Kamberi and then Newell with Boyle and Horgan. It worked for a while as both Mallan and Boyle brought out the best in Branescu but for the most part it was the visitors that looked more likely to score.

With the stadium clock showing 86 minutes the fourth official held up the board indicating there would be three minutes of additional time. It was bizarre and caused much confusion in the stands but meanwhile on the park Hibs pressed forward and only poor final passes stopped them getting through on goal. In one such instance, Horgan galloped free on the left, nipped past his marker and reached the bye line but with team mates around the edge of the box he inexplicably hoisted a shocking left foot cross which landed about thirty yards from goal and gifted Killie possession.

At the other end, Burke missed a sitter at the back post and then Miller sliced wide from a good position. We then had another announcement, correcting the earlier one that there would be three additional minutes and during those minutes Hibs showed some incredible naivety in charging forward and trying world beater passes when in truth the man in possession should have been heading for the corner flag to wind down the clock. Instead they conceded a free kick about thirty yards from the home goal and out on the Killie left. The ball was delivered in and a half clearance fell to Bruce on the left side of Hibs’ area. The defender took a touch before firing a low cross into the six yard box with Del Fabro first to react to stab the ball home. It was a sickening but all too familiar way for a Hibs game to end and end it did the moment the kick off was taken.

I accept that we threw away two points and I accept that we miserably failed to close out a game we were winning but there were many positives to take from the performance, especially in the first half. I feel sure now that Jack Ross has witnessed this scenario for himself that he’ll be working on that with the players before a tricky visit to Dingwall on Wednesday night.

The players

Maxwell – Chris made a couple of good saves but stood little chance with either goal. I fancy he might earn a few more bookings in the weeks ahead because he is anything but subtle about his time wasting.

Naismith – I’ve heard it said he has no pace but I didn’t once find him lacking in pursuing the speedy Rory McKenzie. Given that the Killie man was subbed I think that evidenced that he was being prevented from making positive contributions. Oh and that goal! Don’t know and don’t care if he meant it.

Porteous – For the most part he did his job very well but he’s still prone to the odd daft mistake which may well cost us if capitalised on.

Hanlon – A huge and important part of Paul’s game is his reading of situations and today he displayed that to good effect on numerous occasions.

Stevenson – Kept an in form Chris Burke quiet for the most part and was effective going forward and linking with Newell and Kamberi.

Slivka – I think I can pretty much sum up his offering as probably the best I’ve seen from him in a Hibs shirt. He was quite brilliant, especially in the first half and I echo the sponsors’ choice in awarding him my man of the match award.

Allan – I love Scotty and there’s no doubt he’s a top player but he needs to accept that every pass doesn’t need to be a ‘worldy’ as many of his efforts failed to meet their target today. Ironically, a bog standard pass to Slivka played a key part in the second goal for Hibs.

Hallberg – Getting better every game in my view. One gripe I have is that his foul that created the free kick from which Killie equalised was unnecessary as Porteous was there to halt the Killie player legally.

Newell – I think we’re seeing a player begin to flourish and long may it continue.

Kamberi – Worked hard enough but nothing really came off for him today. When Doidge rose to knock down a cross inside their box I was delighted that Flo had read the situation but his bullet shot was straight at the keeper.

Doidge – Another game, another goal and yet another tireless performance from the big fella. I said to my mate today that Doidge might not score screamers into the top corner but as long as he’s scoring he’ll do for me.

Mallan – Offered Branescu a stiff test with a fine free kick that the keeper had to dive full stretch to reach but I’m afraid to say that Stevie was one of those players who might have used his game playing experience more wisely as the clock ran down.

Boyle – Looked to be right up for it and on a few occasions had Killie defenders chasing shadows but I felt he played a huge part in us losing that late goal. As the Killie man was readying to take it, Hamalainen was free on the left but Boyler simply pointed at him, rather than going to mark him. Hamalainen was promptly given the ball and had all the time in the world to provide the cross that led to the equaliser.

Horgan – Offered little or nothing and that late run and cross to the byeline was woeful.

Jack Ross – I feel he knows where we’re going wrong in dropping silly points and will be working to address that. I hope he’s also working to bring a quality holding midfielder to the club as that would, I’m sure, solve a large part of the problem.

The fans – Two singing areas today and when they were singing the atmosphere was good but there were too many quiet spells for me when the place just went flat.

Kevin Clancy – Inept.

Brightside
30-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Great report. Too easy to blame the defence for losing at the end. The team lost as a team.

Iggy Pope
30-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Great report. Too easy to blame the defence for losing at the end. The team lost as a team.

2-2

TrinityHibs
30-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Thanks again Jonnyboy. I was at the same game today

Cardinal G
30-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Slivka was awesome today. Good report echos my own thoughts, gutted to lose 2 points but a lot more positives for Ross to work on.

Stuart93
30-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Yep agree with all of that. What I would add is that both full backs need to try harder to stop crosses coming in.

kaimendhibs
30-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Good report. Horgans run to the bye line was brilliant, it was the cross that let him down. Surprised that you didnt mention the fact that Killie were gifted possession in the lead up to thier goal by clancy giving them a blatant throw in to Hibs[emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

MB62
30-11-2019, 09:13 PM
I know this will not go down well with popular opinion but, this is my take on things.
We played excellent football in the first 45 minutes and probably should have been more than 1-0 up.
2nd half we scored early and either the players thought the game was won, and the midfield clocked out early, or the manager decided to try and defend the game out.
Given the predictable 3 suave on and off, my thoughts are with the later opinion, especially given his comments after the St. Horrendous game.
I am now fearful we have appointed Hecky light, defending a 2 goal lead and inviting pressure to hit on the break, especially at home, is not for me.
J.R needs a couple of transfer windows to put his own ideas into action, so he will not be judged until then, win lose or draw, but I didn't like what I saw after going 2-0 up, and I didn't agree with the inevitable substitutions.

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Brilliant once again Jonnyboy and many thanks for posting

My mate said the exact same thing to me today “ Naismith didn’t mean to score his goal”

Of course he meant it probably surprised it went in but he meant it, it is always worth a try :greengrin

That is the first time I have ever witnessed in all my years of watching football in person or online/cable/ tv a fourth official putting up his board for time added on as early as the 87th minute

Anything could have happened to extend the time allotted in the interim i.e. time wasting, injury, pitch invasion, change in the weather or natural disaster as it stood it gave Killie fresh impetus renewed vigour to chase an equaliser as the Stadium clock showed they still had six minutes to do so and left many fans wondering if the scoreboard and its clock was once again on the blink

If Jack Ross wishes to avoid being branded as the Scottish Hecky after a flat performance versus St Mirren (albeit three points) and a failure to see a game out versus Kilmarnock leaving us snatching a draw from the jaws of victory he needs to find a solution to the malaise that so afflicted Heckys short reign in charge of our great club

LancashireHibby
30-11-2019, 10:05 PM
When Killie scored their first, I think it felt like it was a lot nearer to full time than the reality (regardless of the added time shenanigans) so I’m not sure if the players felt the same. Once we’d seen through the 5-10 minutes after the goal then I did think we’d settled the ship and actually looked reasonably likely to get a third. I would say that the search for a third did leave us a little bit open at the back though. Let’s not forget Maxwell had to make a cracking save in the second half and Killie missed a couple of sitters late on before the equaliser.

Slivka a class above today and I think Hanlon had a pretty decent game too.

NAE NOOKIE
01-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Maxwell ... 7 .... Made a couple of decent saves and Killie either hit crosses to the back post or low into the penalty spot giving him no chance to claim the ball ... no chance with either goal that I could see.

Naismith ... 7 ... I'm still not convinced he meant his goal, but it was a cracker anyway ... he defended pretty well, but in the last half hour I thought he found himself 2 on 1 a bit too much.

Porteous .... 6 .... A decent enough game .. still makes the odd error, but its a learning process for him.

Hanlon .... 8 .... Mostly for his first half performance which is as good as he has been for ages.

Stevenson .... 7 ... His usual reliable self, but if JR is a coach who likes right and left backs who can beat a man he is on borrowed time ... had that opportunity a couple of times today and didn't even attempt it.

Slivka ... 8 ... Without a doubt one of his best performances, really put himself about.

Hallberg .... 7 .... Had a very decent game, but will be disappointed with a bit of a powder puff shot from a good position and being partly culpable for the mess that led to a Killie goal ... I like him though.

Allan .... 6 .... Not quite as effective as he can be and seemed to run out of steam after an hour. Its brilliant when one of his passes comes off, but sometimes he has games where he tries too many threading the needle type passes and this was one of them.

Newell .... 7 .... I thought he had a good game and his work rate is night and day compared to earlier in the season. When he came here the usual check of what his previous club's fans though of him made out that he was a player with the odd really influential game in his locker, something we have yet to see.

Kamberi .... 7 .... I thought he played pretty well and put in a decent shift ... nothing wrong with his attitude these days.

Doidge .... 7 ..... Another one who has upped his work rate and is on a good scoring run, carrying a bit of luck as well which never hurts a striker.

Subs:

Mallan .... 5 .... A decent free kick which nearly caught out the keeper, but he had a good chance which he hit straight at the keeper and chose the wrong option which spoiled a decent break.

Boyle ... 5 ... Looked dangerous at times, but part of a Hibs triumvirate which contrived to get into an unnecessary a mess right at the end leading to Killie's equaliser.

Horgan ... 3 .... His one notable contribution was to do really well to get into Killie's box and then to hit an absolutely shocking cross miles away from the two Hibs players who were both in good positions.

Stuart93
01-12-2019, 08:13 AM
I know this will not go down well with popular opinion but, this is my take on things.
We played excellent football in the first 45 minutes and probably should have been more than 1-0 up.
2nd half we scored early and either the players thought the game was won, and the midfield clocked out early, or the manager decided to try and defend the game out.
Given the predictable 3 suave on and off, my thoughts are with the later opinion, especially given his comments after the St. Horrendous game.
I am now fearful we have appointed Hecky light, defending a 2 goal lead and inviting pressure to hit on the break, especially at home, is not for me.
J.R needs a couple of transfer windows to put his own ideas into action, so he will not be judged until then, win lose or draw, but I didn't like what I saw after going 2-0 up, and I didn't agree with the inevitable substitutions.

Na not having that, that’s pish mate

I don’t think we sat back and invited pressure on ourselves by choice nor was it tactical.

I think the midfield ran out of steam when killie clearly lifted it & they made a couple subs

The fact we didn’t capitalise on our dominance in the first 60mins and score more than 2 hurt us. Everyone knows 2-0 isn’t a big enough lead especially for us.

I think the players decision making in the last 5mins especially was horrendous which Jack Ross alluded to in his post match interview. Get the ball and take it to the corner and we would’ve won that.

Since452
01-12-2019, 08:17 AM
If Slivka played like that every week he'd still be at Juventus. Great display

Jones28
01-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Thanks again Johnny, disappointing result but a corner has been turned.

BoomtownHibees
01-12-2019, 08:21 AM

With all due respect, this is a load of bollocks. The only bit you got right was your opinion of the first half

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Sublime to ridiculous. Scintillating football for an hour, then our failure to defend two crosses, leading to a draw.

Well deserved lead should have been seen out, however 10 points from 12 is not a bad return. Just need to tighten up at the back.

erin go bragh
01-12-2019, 10:15 AM
After last weeks subs working out fine ,you can see why he made them again but Jackson for Newall might have got us the win .
But as JB has already said , the first 60 mins of football was a joy to watch .

JohnM1875
01-12-2019, 10:29 AM
That first hour of football was fantastic. More of the same please!

Thought Hallberg had a great game but his decision to try and dribble through two players then eventually give away a stupid free kick cost us the points today.

Still, we're playing good football and in the top 6. Big few games coming up now.

GreenCastle
01-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Before the game I was concerned about the previous 2nd half performances.

Yesterday Kille were awful 1st half and we should have been out of sight.

We then got the goal straight after half time and I thought here we go.

But with Killie changing tactics and players (how bad was Sow) and Hibs lack of game management and unbalanced squad came back to haunt us again.

Scott Allan was poor yesterday - love the guy but he gave the ball away countless times and looked tired.

Mallan did make a difference but the lack of a CDM again once again made us pay. Slivka and Hallberg such a difference in middle but we need another with energy (Omeonga?!).

I felt overall we did fine and played some really good stuff 1st half and kept them quiet till round 55 mins.

Mentally and physically we need to improve to see out games - opportunity missed yesterday but surely the club will realise where we need to strengthen in January.

6 really hard games coming up before the break - not going to be easy and would expect fringe players to be involved. Would send out a reserve team against Celtic away to keep players fresh.

ancient hibee
01-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Thought it was a good performance against a team that has been playing at a better level than us most of the season.Some of Allan's passing was off but he was surrounded by opponents whenever he got the ball.He still managed to be involved in both goals.Malan didn't attract the same attention and as a result Killie suddenly looked as if they had more players in midfield. Unfortunately Ross still has to solve the problem of midfield defence when we are under pressure and the failure of our full backs or other wide players to stop crosses coming in(I think Stevenson's days are numbered unless he can recapture his dig).It's also disturbing that Maxwell does not seem to want to dominate his area-the ball bounces around or flashes straight through far too often.Bogdan for me.

MB62
01-12-2019, 04:20 PM
With all due respect, this is a load of bollocks. The only bit you got right was your opinion of the first half

Thanks to a few Belhaven Best and predictive texts, what's bollocks is it reading St. 'Horrendous' instead of St. Mirren (no idea how it came up with that) :greengrin and also 'suave' instead of subs (I really need to either stop posting when half pissed or try and pay more attention, or both).

However, I stick by my original comments. They may be bollocks in your opinion, but that's what it's all about, opinions.
Neither Kamberi nor Scotty Allan looked happy to be subbed, which suggested to me that neither were either injured or tired (Scotty, just a few minutes before he got subbed, chased and put in a goal tackle in front of the West Stand where he knocked the ball out for a throw, so he still had a bit of running in him).

Be interested to hear opinions on why Killie became so much more dominant after going 2-0 down, just what happened to that Hibs team who could easily have been 3 or 4 in front by half time?

BoomtownHibees
01-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Thanks to a few Belhaven Best and predictive texts, what's bollocks is it reading St. 'Horrendous' instead of St. Mirren (no idea how it came up with that) :greengrin and also 'suave' instead of subs (I really need to either stop posting when half pissed or try and pay more attention, or both).

However, I stick by my original comments. They may be bollocks in your opinion, but that's what it's all about, opinions.
Neither Kamberi nor Scotty Allan looked happy to be subbed, which suggested to me that neither were either injured or tired (Scotty, just a few minutes before he got subbed, chased and put in a goal tackle in front of the West Stand where he knocked the ball out for a throw, so he still had a bit of running in him).

Be interested to hear opinions on why Killie became so much more dominant after going 2-0 down, just what happened to that Hibs team who could easily have been 3 or 4 in front by half time?

Both teams made changes, impacting the game. Your point about us sitting in trying to hold on to what we had was what I was pointing out as bollocks and I stick by that. The 3 subs we made were all attack minded players, regardless if you agree with who went off or not

01-12-2019, 04:55 PM
2-0 up and cruising! Lead should have been much greater.
If we can’t finish teams off or close the game out this is going to happen.
Seen it too often with this squad.

Yes Killie changed it up and they responded well but we should be able to do similar and counter to ensure 2-0 lead is not dropped. Had that game been another 10mins could only see Killie winning it.

Stonewall
02-12-2019, 11:35 AM
Thought it was a good performance against a team that has been playing at a better level than us most of the season.Some of Allan's passing was off but he was surrounded by opponents whenever he got the ball.He still managed to be involved in both goals.Malan didn't attract the same attention and as a result Killie suddenly looked as if they had more players in midfield. Unfortunately Ross still has to solve the problem of midfield defence when we are under pressure and the failure of our full backs or other wide players to stop crosses coming in(I think Stevenson's days are numbered unless he can recapture his dig).It's also disturbing that Maxwell does not seem to want to dominate his area-the ball bounces around or flashes straight through far too often.Bogdan for me.

The problem with the full backs is that with the personnel available and playing marrow the fullbacks are constantly finding themselves one on one with the opposition.

jacomo
02-12-2019, 01:09 PM
Before the game I was concerned about the previous 2nd half performances.

Yesterday Kille were awful 1st half and we should have been out of sight.

We then got the goal straight after half time and I thought here we go.

But with Killie changing tactics and players (how bad was Sow) and Hibs lack of game management and unbalanced squad came back to haunt us again.

Scott Allan was poor yesterday - love the guy but he gave the ball away countless times and looked tired.

Mallan did make a difference but the lack of a CDM again once again made us pay. Slivka and Hallberg such a difference in middle but we need another with energy (Omeonga?!).

I felt overall we did fine and played some really good stuff 1st half and kept them quiet till round 55 mins.

Mentally and physically we need to improve to see out games - opportunity missed yesterday but surely the club will realise where we need to strengthen in January.

6 really hard games coming up before the break - not going to be easy and would expect fringe players to be involved. Would send out a reserve team against Celtic away to keep players fresh.

Celtc is a game that everyone wants to play in. It’s not easy convincing players they need a rest.

JR is getting a tune out of the team just now so I would make as few changes as possible and just try and keep the run going.

Hibs shouldn’t be writing off any fixture in this League.

cmcd
02-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Na not having that, that’s pish mate

I don’t think we sat back and invited pressure on ourselves by choice nor was it tactical.

I think the midfield ran out of steam when killie clearly lifted it & they made a couple subs

The fact we didn’t capitalise on our dominance in the first 60mins and score more than 2 hurt us. Everyone knows 2-0 isn’t a big enough lead especially for us.

I think the players decision making in the last 5mins especially was horrendous which Jack Ross alluded to in his post match interview. Get the ball and take it to the corner and we would’ve won that.

I agree with all of this .Our time will come I'm sure of that. Have faith in the manager

brog
02-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Maxwell ... 7 .... Made a couple of decent saves and Killie either hit crosses to the back post or low into the penalty spot giving him no chance to claim the ball ... no chance with either goal that I could see.

Naismith ... 7 ... I'm still not convinced he meant his goal, but it was a cracker anyway ... he defended pretty well, but in the last half hour I thought he found himself 2 on 1 a bit too much.

Porteous .... 6 .... A decent enough game .. still makes the odd error, but its a learning process for him.

Hanlon .... 8 .... Mostly for his first half performance which is as good as he has been for ages.

Stevenson .... 7 ... His usual reliable self, but if JR is a coach who likes right and left backs who can beat a man he is on borrowed time ... had that opportunity a couple of times today and didn't even attempt it.

Slivka ... 8 ... Without a doubt one of his best performances, really put himself about.

Hallberg .... 7 .... Had a very decent game, but will be disappointed with a bit of a powder puff shot from a good position and being partly culpable for the mess that led to a Killie goal ... I like him though.

Allan .... 6 .... Not quite as effective as he can be and seemed to run out of steam after an hour. Its brilliant when one of his passes comes off, but sometimes he has games where he tries too many threading the needle type passes and this was one of them.

Newell .... 7 .... I thought he had a good game and his work rate is night and day compared to earlier in the season. When he came here the usual check of what his previous club's fans though of him made out that he was a player with the odd really influential game in his locker, something we have yet to see.

Kamberi .... 7 .... I thought he played pretty well and put in a decent shift ... nothing wrong with his attitude these days.

Doidge .... 7 ..... Another one who has upped his work rate and is on a good scoring run, carrying a bit of luck as well which never hurts a striker.

Subs:

Mallan .... 5 .... A decent free kick which nearly caught out the keeper, but he had a good chance which he hit straight at the keeper and chose the wrong option which spoiled a decent break.

Boyle ... 5 ... Looked dangerous at times, but part of a Hibs triumvirate which contrived to get into an unnecessary a mess right at the end leading to Killie's equaliser.

Horgan ... 3 .... His one notable contribution was to do really well to get into Killie's box and then to hit an absolutely shocking cross miles away from the two Hibs players who were both in good positions.

Having seen our 2nd goal John I think you do Scotty a disservice by talking about a bog standard pass for the goal. He actually played 3 one two's before that pass & used both feet for passes in the build up. Your overall point is well made but his contribution to the goal was immense.

Jonnyboy
02-12-2019, 01:40 PM
Having seen our 2nd goal John I think you do Scotty a disservice by talking about a bog standard pass for the goal. He actually played 3 one two's before that pass & used both feet for passes in the build up. Your overall point is well made but his contribution to the goal was immense.

Yeah, now that I’ve seen the move again, I agree B. 😁

brog
02-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Yeah, now that I’ve seen the move again, I agree B. 😁

:thumbsup: