PDA

View Full Version : The First Time

St.Kristopher
30-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Don’t know if you remember your first time, mines was on a cold Saturday where Hibs destroyed Raith Rovers 0-0. I had no really strong football affinity in my imediate family and had been taken to Hearts and Celtic games before but this blistering performace finally gave me my team.

Today was the first time my lad (5 years old) has been to a game at Easter Road, I took him on a sunny day earlier in the year to see us play Stirling. Though today was his first home game. I had accepted the advice of some on here and taken him to the family section. We had a great day and I thought I would share the experence for anyone else thinking of doing the same.

We got to the game early and I took him to the club shop to get him a Hibs hat, gloves and scarf (it was freezing!). As I walked into the shop I saw the girl selling programs and realised I only had my bank card so couldn’t buy one, I’ve not bought a program in years but was I knew I had missed a really decent keep sake for him (they are £3 so bring some real cash).

This feeling quickly went away, as soon as we got through the turnstiles, he started dancing to Girls & Boys by Blur, having a great time. Glen Middleton and Ellis Notley were there to chat to the kids, pose for photos and kindly signed photos for him of the ladies and mens team.

As we got further into the kids zone a nice lady told him about the drawing competition that he could enter, he spent a good 10mins doing this and seem to really enjoy it (pens, paper, glue whats not to like), he now has a chance of being a mascot if he wins.

After that we played a hibs themed connect 4, the tokens had pictures of the ladies team and the mens team on them, which he also really enjoyed.

Finally before going out to see the game he played football pool which was his favourite part, the people running this were great, giving him lots of enouragement and praise.

He loved the game and was joining in with both the singing and the drumming. He was especially happy to see Boyle come on, his favourite player, and was also a lot more pragmatic about the result than I was.

He was fairly knackered by the end and I had to carry him to the car but it was a great day and for those who have not tried the kids zone with their wee ones I can not recommend it enough.

Oh and one final thing, just as I was getting him in the car, a guy taps me on the shoulder and says here is a program for your son I’ve got 2...I was speechless and I would be lying if I said I didn’t shed a wee tear - the day was rounded off perfectly. If you were the guy who did this and you read this, please get in touch I would love to buy you a beer before a game (and yes I know what he looks like so no freeloaders :wink: )

murray26
30-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Great wee story 💚💚

Hibeesmad
30-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Wonderful story, great to hear that you and your son had an enjoyable day. Hopefully next time it will be a win :)

Diclonius
30-11-2019, 07:19 PM
I came pretty late into the Hibee family and loosely followed us for the 2005-06 season. My first game was the Hampden semi final against Hearts, and despite the result I was hooked. I reckon that result also instilled a mentality in me that beating Hearts should be our number one priority.

nonshinyfinish
30-11-2019, 07:23 PM
First game was a dire 0–0 against Dundee in 1992. Loved it.

Weegreenman
30-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Fabulous

Biscuit
01-12-2019, 09:30 AM
What a great story & I am sure it will also be a day he will never forget. A bit more exciting draw than your first game too!

FilipinoHibs
01-12-2019, 09:38 AM
First game at ER was 1971 September League Cup quarter final vs Rangers. Stood in the upper tier of the East mixed in with Huns. Hibs lost 3-1 but played great cavalier football that fitted their Bohemian striking strip. I had come up on a Rangers supporters bus from Hawick. Until then I had been a TV and radio Hibs fan. Coming back on the bus a Rangers pal said are you won over then? Much to his horror I said I can really call myself a Hibs fan after being to see them. And thus started the longest love of my life. Still bleary eyed after watching yesterday's game on Hibs TV till 1 am in the morning Filipino time

Iggy Pope
01-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Love this OP.
My first game that I can remember was a 2-2 draw with Cowdenbeath. 1971. Centre Stand with my dad. Easter Road seemed vast, like stepping into a big volcano when we got to the top of the stairs.. Don’t remember too much about it other than a late Blackley equaliser and my old man hugging me after having narked his head off about the Hibs play. He’s gone now but what an impact he made on my life, not only that day but especially that day.

Ryan91
01-12-2019, 10:32 AM
My first Hibs game was vs Stranraer at home at the start of the 1998-99 Season (First Division) - we lost 2-1.

penihibs
01-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Lovely story you'll never forget,thanks for sharing.😂

james62
01-12-2019, 10:52 AM
The first time I took my son to a Hibs match we beat St.Johnstone 4-0, if I remember right it was inbetween the 2 AEK games. It didn't take him long to realise it wasn't like that every week though.

Forza Fred
01-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Excellent storytelling!

One to remember.

JimBHibees
01-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Don’t know if you remember your first time, mines was on a cold Saturday where Hibs destroyed Raith Rovers 0-0. I had no really strong football affinity in my imediate family and had been taken to Hearts and Celtic games before but this blistering performace finally gave me my team.

Today was the first time my lad (5 years old) has been to a game at Easter Road, I took him on a sunny day earlier in the year to see us play Stirling. Though today was his first home game. I had accepted the advice of some on here and taken him to the family section. We had a great day and I thought I would share the experence for anyone else thinking of doing the same.

We got to the game early and I took him to the club shop to get him a Hibs hat, gloves and scarf (it was freezing!). As I walked into the shop I saw the girl selling programs and realised I only had my bank card so couldn’t buy one, I’ve not bought a program in years but was I knew I had missed a really decent keep sake for him (they are £3 so bring some real cash).

This feeling quickly went away, as soon as we got through the turnstiles, he started dancing to Girls & Boys by Blur, having a great time. Glen Middleton and Ellis Notley were there to chat to the kids, pose for photos and kindly signed photos for him of the ladies and mens team.

As we got further into the kids zone a nice lady told him about the drawing competition that he could enter, he spent a good 10mins doing this and seem to really enjoy it (pens, paper, glue whats not to like), he now has a chance of being a mascot if he wins.

After that we played a hibs themed connect 4, the tokens had pictures of the ladies team and the mens team on them, which he also really enjoyed.

Finally before going out to see the game he played football pool which was his favourite part, the people running this were great, giving him lots of enouragement and praise.

He loved the game and was joining in with both the singing and the drumming. He was especially happy to see Boyle come on, his favourite player, and was also a lot more pragmatic about the result than I was.

He was fairly knackered by the end and I had to carry him to the car but it was a great day and for those who have not tried the kids zone with their wee ones I can not recommend it enough.

Oh and one final thing, just as I was getting him in the car, a guy taps me on the shoulder and says here is a program for your son I’ve got 2...I was speechless and I would be lying if I said I didn’t shed a wee tear - the day was rounded off perfectly. If you were the guy who did this and you read this, please get in touch I would love to buy you a beer before a game (and yes I know what he looks like so no freeloaders :wink: )

Fantastic story is exactly what it is all about. :flag:

The 90+2
01-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Glad he enjoyed it Jesus 😉

SRHibs
01-12-2019, 08:40 PM
Hibs vs Coventry. Pretty sure Strachan played for us for a bit? Can't remember whose testimonial it was.

Lester B
01-12-2019, 08:44 PM
Love this OP.
My first game that I can remember was a 2-2 draw with Cowdenbeath. 1971. Centre Stand with my dad. Easter Road seemed vast, like stepping into a big volcano when we got to the top of the stairs.. Don’t remember too much about it other than a late Blackley equaliser and my old man hugging me after having narked his head off about the Hibs play. He’s gone now but what an impact he made on my life, not only that day but especially that day.

Love the post too. Checked Hibs Stats and mine was 45 years ago yesterday! 2-1 against Ayr. Late Pat Stanton winner. Alex Cropley's last game for Hibs.

Oh and that comment about your old man? I could have written that word for word about mine!

Power
01-12-2019, 08:45 PM

That is absolutely brilliant, thanks for sharing - hope you got a few photos of the day to treasure. ✅

“This is what it feels like to be Hibs”.

mim
01-12-2019, 08:52 PM
To the OP, great story, thanks for sharing. :agree:

My first visit to ER was with my dad to see League Champions, Hibernian, playing against who knows :greengrin
Yes, I really am that old.

About 7 years later I took my younger cousin to his first game to see Hibs being hammered 5-0 by a superb Rangers team. He has remained a Hibby to this day :aok:

Greencore
01-12-2019, 09:45 PM
Hibs won 2-1 against Aberdeen at Easter Road Scott Browns debut I believe

cabbageandribs1875
01-12-2019, 10:02 PM
i'm certain my auld man took me to my first game for a friendly v aston villa in the late 60's.... 1-4 ;( no SJM in those days

i think, it's my oldest memory of a hibs game anyway, so it might not have been my first :greengrin

p.s. nice opening post btw

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2019, 10:24 PM
1968 a packed Easter Road HIBS v Leeds Utd Fair Cities Cup
As soon as the teams ran oot under the floodlights the light reflecting off the grass the green jerseys and white sleeves and the all white of the mighty Leeds Utd I thought to myself “that’s my team”
The game kicked off and the green and white jerseys swarmed around the Leeds box within minutes Colin Stein had levelled the tie on aggregate with a lob over Gary Sprake from an acute angle to send the 40000 crowd radge

davemcbain
01-12-2019, 10:56 PM
Hibs won 2-1 against Aberdeen at Easter Road Scott Browns debut I believe

My wedding day! Speeches were interrupted to bring us the final score.

ABZHFC
01-12-2019, 11:06 PM
Great story, nice to hear a certified piece of #HibsClass at the end of it as well!

As for my first time, Hibernian 2-0 Aberdeen in 2002, all I remember was being terrified of some drunken Dandies singing about the Northern Lights outside the ground

O'Rourke3
02-12-2019, 12:36 AM
0 - 0 Sept 70 versus Hearts at ER. Both children unfortunately debued at the League Cup Final versus Livingston. Happy to say both were also present in May 2016.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Can’t remember my first game other than it was on the old North terracing and it was absolutely freezing. As was every trip there. Absolutely bucking freezing.

My son’s first game was a 1-1 home draw against Motherwell where Riordan scored from a cutback after some slick one touch passing. Thicot then gave away a clumsy penalty. We weren’t going to loads of games at the time and I think he was up to ten matches unbeaten and then we went to see Malmo........

MagicSwirlingShip
02-12-2019, 04:22 AM
First game that I can remember clearly was a pre Season game, must have been 93-94, or 94-95 maybe, against Sheffield Wednesday at Easter Rd. I think we won 4-2, or 4-3. I'm sure Darren Jackson scored for Hibs (I had the Hibs top with #10 on the back), I'm sure Mark Bright scored for Sheff Wed also...

I came away absolutely enthralled at the whole experience, but somewhat dissapointed that there was no commentator when attending the games in person like there was on the Tele :dunno:

My first time at Easter Road however, was after we won the Skol Cup. With all the men in the family away at the match, the women (mum, aunties etc) took me and cousins along to Easter Road to welcome the players home with the cup. My mum reminds me that I was very confused when the Hibs team appeared all dapper in their suits. I was expecting them to still be in their strips :greengrin

Good times. Can't wait to take my own wee youngteam to Easter Road one day :thumbsup:

sadtom
02-12-2019, 04:47 AM
Love this OP.

Wow. This was also my first ever game.
Was taken in for the last 20/30 by my mum. I was too young (a few weeks after my 5th birthday) to remember much. All I knew was what my mum told me through the years, we were 2-0 down when I went in and saw us fight back for the draw.
A few year ago I decided to try and look the game up on line, wanted to see who was the 1st scorer I witnessed in the flesh. I think you may have it the other way round, but not certain. I think Sloop scored a pen, then someone else (cannae mind who) got the equaliser.
What followed in my 'investigation' rocked me a bit. I found a Pink news report of the game (cant find it now). In the bottom of the page was the 'goal flash' bit they used to have in the Pink. It noted a late equaliser for der hun in the old squirm game...scored by Colin Stein! I immediately looked up at the date on the Pink...2/1/1971.
My old dear never mentioned the fact that the 1st professional match I attended was the same day 66 people attended their last. A very sobering thought.

cabbageandribs1875
02-12-2019, 05:27 AM
i'm sure colin stein scored against us at ER on either his first game for sevco which happened to be at ER,or his first game back at ER, i just couldn't understand why he would do that to us :boo hoo:

Gloucester Hibs
02-12-2019, 05:57 AM
My Dad had taken us to plenty of games prior to this but the first game I actually remember was a 1-0 win over Celtic in 1990. A Paul Kane penalty and a great John Collins performance who was to become my hero for a very short period of time! Watched from the cowshed.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2019, 06:58 AM
i'm sure colin stein scored against us at ER on either his first game for sevco which happened to be at ER,or his first game back at ER, i just couldn't understand why he would do that to us :boo hoo:

Colin Stein scored a hatrick at Ibroke on his debut versus Arbroath he followed it up by scoring a hatrick versus HIBS in a 6-1 win In Glasgow the following week

In the January he scored the only goal at Ibroke to knock us out of the Scottish Cup

Like many hibeees I was heartbroken when he left but his memory soon became a distant memory as Joe McBride started to rattle in the goals. :greengrin

Potty78
02-12-2019, 07:24 AM
1st feb 1986, we beat motherwell 4 0 at Easter Rd, cowan got two. Crowd was only 4000!

cabbageandribs1875
02-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Colin Stein scored a hatrick at Ibroke on his debut versus Arbroath he followed it up by scoring a hatrick versus HIBS in a 6-1 win In Glasgow the following week

In the January he scored the only goal at Ibroke to knock us out of the Scottish Cup

Like many hibeees I was heartbroken when he left but his memory soon became a distant memory as Joe McBride started to rattle in the goals. :greengrin

jeezo, some things never change huh,deja vu and all that :greengrin

Keith_M
02-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Oh great, now Ahm blubbing away on the train to work!

FilipinoHibs
02-12-2019, 09:16 AM
jeezo, some things never change huh,deja vu and all that :greengrin

Colin Stein was the first person to break my heart🤣

heidtheba
02-12-2019, 09:35 AM
That's a brilliant OP story. Love the effort Hibs seem to go to for the kids (and that's a really shrewd move too...) and what a lovely touch by the guy who handed over his programme. Top marks all round!

I was never fussed on football but a Hibs supporting mate at Moray House took me for my 18th birthday to see Hibs at ER in January '93. We lost 3-4 to a Rangers side which had McCoist and Hately up front. I was hooked. I learned a lot of things that day - not politely clapping a Rangers goal being one of them! I had a season ticket for the next two years and attended regularly until 99. I'm more of a follower than a supporter now.

Neil, if you're on here - thanks for the birthday present, it really did give me something I'm still very pleased to have experienced!

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Love the post too. Checked Hibs Stats and mine was 45 years ago yesterday! 2-1 against Ayr. Late Pat Stanton winner. Alex Cropley's last game for Hibs.

Oh and that comment about your old man? I could have written that word for word about mine!

I’d expect “Lester B” to have a far more prosaic delivery than mine!

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Wow. This was also my first ever game.
Was taken in for the last 20/30 by my mum. I was too young (a few weeks after my 5th birthday) to remember much. All I knew was what my mum told me through the years, we were 2-0 down when I went in and saw us fight back for the draw.
A few year ago I decided to try and look the game up on line, wanted to see who was the 1st scorer I witnessed in the flesh. I think you may have it the other way round, but not certain. I think Sloop scored a pen, then someone else (cannae mind who) got the equaliser.
What followed in my 'investigation' rocked me a bit. I found a Pink news report of the game (cant find it now). In the bottom of the page was the 'goal flash' bit they used to have in the Pink. It noted a late equaliser for der hun in the old squirm game...scored by Colin Stein! I immediately looked up at the date on the Pink...2/1/1971.
My old dear never mentioned the fact that the 1st professional match I attended was the same day 66 people attended their last. A very sobering though.

I would not have known that about Ibrox being that day although I remember the headlines.
Have to keep it as a Blackley equaliser though as my auld brain hates change!

PS iHibs has it down as a Kenny Davidson goal with a Sloop penalty. I see Bobby Duncan also came on as a sub so it might’ve been his comeback spell which would also have delighted the auld fellah!

GordonHFC
02-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Hun cousin took me to Easter Road in April 68 where Dundee beat us 3 1

Billy McKirdy
02-12-2019, 12:10 PM
What a great thread 🙂 the first game my dad took me to was a reserve fixture against Aberdeen probably about 1974, I don’t remember nothing of the game but I do remember my dad telling me Pat Stanton was playing and all the shouting and swearing going on.
I didn’t go to another game with him until a few years later when we went to a home match against St Miirren in the premier league, I was getting into football by then, it was before segregation happened and a foul mouthed rant by some buddies standing near us as we won narrowly stuck in my mind.
Ii with my old man on and off for the next few years up to Bests debut, the last game I went with him, we of course were relegated that season and my old man died suddenly a month after the season ended , a miserable time on and off the pitch for me

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Can’t remember my first game other than it was on the old terracing and it was absolutely freezing.

Me too, I'm always amazed how many people seem to know all the details re their first games.

Keith_M
02-12-2019, 01:26 PM
... Love the effort Hibs seem to go to for the kids (and that's a really shrewd move too...)....

Strangely enough, some people are in favour ditching the notion of a Kids/Family zone, with the argument the kids shouldn't be mollycoddled... or whatever.

The experience of the OP shows that a lot of thought has gone into this and it seems to be very much appreciated. It is also very good long term planning, giving kids such a positive experience of ER from a young age.

If the Family Section/Kids Zone was ever to moved (as has been suggested on here), it would require a lot of thought, and probably money, to ensure they had the same experience as they currently enjoy.

Peevemor
02-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Me too, I'm always amazed how many people seem to know all the details re their first games.

I can remember fairly well as i was relatively old. I was 12 and my dad wouldn't take me sooner as my big brother had previously had his collar bone broken in a crush on Bothwell bridge after a match against Celtis.

August 1979, the Skol festival Tournament - Hibs, Hearts, Man City & Coventry.

Hibs beat Hearts in the first match which was immediately followed by Man City vs Coventry. 2 matches one after the other is pretty long TBH and I think we left at half time.

sadtom
02-12-2019, 01:35 PM
I would not have known that about Ibrox being that day although I remember the headlines.
Have to keep it as a Blackley equaliser though as my auld brain hates change!

PS iHibs has it down as a Kenny Davidson goal with a Sloop penalty. I see Bobby Duncan also came on as a sub so it might’ve been his comeback spell which would also have delighted the auld fellah!

👍

Mibbes Aye
02-12-2019, 02:01 PM

My cousins took me to games when I first started going and they lived in Bruntsfield. We got the LRT bus down, think it was the 1, and the real treat was getting a seat upstairs at the front. I have a sketchy memory that Morton may have been my first game, I remember blue and white hoops at some early stage.

But most of all I remember how bloody cold it was on the terracing.

Lester B
02-12-2019, 02:09 PM
I’d expect “Lester B” to have a far more prosaic delivery than mine!

Oh aye. Would you now 'Iggy'?

I can get more prosaic than that and you can get less so. I've seen your FB posts 'Iggy'

Btw You can lose hours on that Hibs Stats site. I know, I have done!

Lancs Harp
02-12-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm a relative latecomer to the Hibs party. Growing up In Blackpool, Hibs was my Scottish team (as oppose to Celtic or Rangers like everyone else seemed to choose), the team North of the border I always looked for the result of, kept a scrap book with cuttings from Shoot magazine and the like, had the Subbuteo team etc.

I moved South to seek fame and fortune, to Reading in fact where I worked with a guy who was an ardent Hibs fan and on learning my Green persuasion instisted I went up for a game with him. That game was Hibs 5 Dundee 2 in October 1999. I think it was the first season after promotion and was the first home win of the season. I remember Latipy scored a couple after Dundee had gone one up early doors. Lehmann scored in the last minute but cant remember who scored the other two. I think a very young Kenny Miller might have been playing.

From that first game I attended more sporadically until about 8 seasons ago having moved back to Lancashire a year or so earlier I started to attend on a more regular basis and had a season ticket for a couple of seasons. The last couple of seasons Ive managed 7/8 games a season. Im up this saturday, my third of the season and looking forward to it greatly.

GGTTH

Yorkshire HFC
02-12-2019, 02:50 PM
I remember when I started going with my friends rather than my dad - we used to get the number 1 bus from Davidsonsmains - I think it went along Easter Road - I’m pretty sure we didn’t need to get 2 busses. And then I think the number 1 became the number 6 for some reason.

Exciting times - to see McLeod, McNamara and Best!

Onceinawhile
02-12-2019, 04:34 PM
I'm a relative latecomer to the Hibs party. Growing up In Blackpool, Hibs was my Scottish team (as oppose to Celtic or Rangers like everyone else seemed to choose), the team North of the border I always looked for the result of, kept a scrap book with cuttings from Shoot magazine and the like, had the Subbuteo team etc.

I moved South to seek fame and fortune, to Reading in fact where I worked with a guy who was an ardent Hibs fan and on learning my Green persuasion instisted I went up for a game with him. That game was Hibs 5 Dundee 2 in October 1999. I think it was the first season after promotion and was the first home win of the season. I remember Latipy scored a couple after Dundee had gone one up early doors. Lehmann scored in the last minute but cant remember who scored the other two. I think a very young Kenny Miller might have been playing.

From that first game I attended more sporadically until about 8 seasons ago having moved back to Lancashire a year or so earlier I started to attend on a more regular basis and had a season ticket for a couple of seasons. The last couple of seasons Ive managed 7/8 games a season. Im up this saturday, my third of the season and looking forward to it greatly.

GGTTH

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8794

Inconsequential
02-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Late December 1972 Hibs 3 Aberdeen 2. The home match before the 7 nil derby. Alan Gordon scored Hibs' third goal with a diving header which turned out to be the winner. I remember being in awe at the size of the terracing and the crowd which was nearly 22,000 with most in the open. I was lucky enough to be in the stand. Went to a Xmas panto. in the evening... hated it. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Oh aye. Would you now 'Iggy'?

I can get more prosaic than that and you can get less so. I've seen your FB posts 'Iggy'

Btw You can lose hours on that Hibs Stats site. I know, I have done!

That Iggy Pope isnae me my man! Im thinking more Lester B and Carboretor Dung...hope I’ve not got the wrong tribute to the wrong Lester B ....:greengrin
(loved your post nonetheless Lester).

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 07:19 PM

My old boy reminded me from time to time like....

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Late December 1972 Hibs 3 Aberdeen 2. The home match before the 7 nil derby. Alan Gordon scored Hibs' third goal with a diving header which turned out to be the winner. I remember being in awe at the size of the terracing and the crowd which was nearly 22,000 with most in the open. I was lucky enough to be in the stand. Went to a Xmas panto. in the evening... hated it. :greengrin

Love that!

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 07:27 PM
I remember when I started going with my friends rather than my dad - we used to get the number 1 bus from Davidsonsmains - I think it went along Easter Road - I’m pretty sure we didn’t need to get 2 busses. And then I think the number 1 became the number 6 for some reason.

Exciting times - to see McLeod, McNamara and Best!

The 1 (later coupled with the 6) was indeed a Circle route that took in Easter Road and D Mains and lots of other places whilst you were skiving.
I got it from the corner of St Clair St to Primary School, Secondary School and then work. I had to buy a bike to get away from the ****er.

Sammy7nil
02-12-2019, 07:28 PM
That's a brilliant OP story. Love the effort Hibs seem to go to for the kids (and that's a really shrewd move too...) and what a lovely touch by the guy who handed over his programme. Top marks all round!

I was never fussed on football but a Hibs supporting mate at Moray House took me for my 18th birthday to see Hibs at ER in January '93. We lost 3-4 to a Rangers side which had McCoist and Hately up front. I was hooked. I learned a lot of things that day - not politely clapping a Rangers goal being one of them! I had a season ticket for the next two years and attended regularly until 99. I'm more of a follower than a supporter now.

Neil, if you're on here - thanks for the birthday present, it really did give me something I'm still very pleased to have experienced!

I think you did great still going to the games at 99 what age are you now ? :wink:

esjorto
02-12-2019, 08:11 PM
1949. We were living in Blairgowrie at that time. Hibs were drawn against Forfar in the cup. M was John Cairnns)y older brother took me, an over-excited 10 year old to the game. Hibs won 4-0.My only recollection of the game was Hibs left back (think it was John Cairns) rolled his sleeves up so high none of the white was showing!

berwickhibee
02-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Hibs vs Coventry. Pretty sure Strachan played for us for a bit? Can't remember whose testimonial it was.

Gordon hunters.

berwickhibee
02-12-2019, 08:16 PM
My first Hibs game was vs Stranraer at home at the start of the 1998-99 Season (First Division) - we lost 2-1.

Remember this all too well. Jason Young scored the winner for Stranraer.

berwickhibee
02-12-2019, 08:18 PM
First game that I can remember clearly was a pre Season game, must have been 93-94, or 94-95 maybe, against Sheffield Wednesday at Easter Rd. I think we won 4-2, or 4-3. I'm sure Darren Jackson scored for Hibs (I had the Hibs top with #10 on the back), I'm sure Mark Bright scored for Sheff Wed also...

I came away absolutely enthralled at the whole experience, but somewhat dissapointed that there was no commentator when attending the games in person like there was on the Tele :dunno:

My first time at Easter Road however, was after we won the Skol Cup. With all the men in the family away at the match, the women (mum, aunties etc) took me and cousins along to Easter Road to welcome the players home with the cup. My mum reminds me that I was very confused when the Hibs team appeared all dapper in their suits. I was expecting them to still be in their strips :greengrin

Good times. Can't wait to take my own wee youngteam to Easter Road one day :thumbsup:

Hibs won 3-2, sheff wed were a premier league team.

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 08:18 PM
1949. We were living in Blairgowrie at that time. Hibs were drawn against Forfar in the cup. M was John Cairnns)y older brother took me, an over-excited 10 year old to the game. Hibs won 4-0.My only recollection of the game was Hibs left back (think it was John Cairns) rolled his sleeves up so high none of the white was showing!

Top post of the thread!!!!

brog
02-12-2019, 09:33 PM
My 1st game was in mid 50s & think we beat St Mirren. I was only about 6. My main memory is of my Dad & Uncle taking me up the High St to Blackfriars St where the special buses left for ER. They popped in to the pub next door for a very quick pint leaving me in the queue & telling me not to move. When they came out I was still in the same spot in the queue, I hadn't gone forward in the queue as I was told not to move. We always stood at the Dunbar end & I remember the 1st season I was big enough to stand at a barrier on my own!

MagicSwirlingShip
02-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Hibs won 3-2, sheff wed were a premier league team.

That's the one. Found a decent article on the match online here http://www.iancolquhoun.org.uk/1994-hibs-v-sheffield-wednesday/

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 09:39 PM
My 1st game was in mid 50s & think we beat St Mirren. I was only about 6. My main memory is of my Dad & Uncle taking me up the High St to Blackfriars St where the special buses left for ER. They popped in to the pub next door for a very quick pint leaving me in the queue & telling me not to move. When they came out I was still in the same spot in the queue, I hadn't gone forward in the queue as I was told not to move. We always stood at the Dunbar end & I remember the 1st season I was big enough to stand at a barrier on my own!

Any story with Blackfriars St in it is good enough. Where did you stay Broq. Is that short for Brocklehurst?

Edit. It’s BROG. I’m blind, apologies.

ancient hibee
02-12-2019, 09:49 PM
Lived in Wales until I was 7 and when we were here on holiday in1948 when I was 6 my grandad took me to the north end of the stand to see a game against I think Clyde.When we went home to Wales I told everyone I was a Hibs supporter.I started going to Easter Road regularly in 1951/52(I also went regularly on the train from Leith to Tynecastle,6d return on the train and 6d to get in to the match).I’ve been very fortunate with the number of great footballers that I’ve seen particularly in the 1950s when so many clubs had players who are still legends at those clubs.

iwasthere1972
02-12-2019, 09:49 PM
1966 as a ten year old. My dad didn't like football so that may explain why I was quite old for my first match. I think I went with mates from my street. Anyway it was some baptism to the Hibs family. We thrashed Stirling Albion 6-0 that day. Some great names that played for the jersey. Eric Stevenson, Peter Cormack, Jim O'Rourke and Pat Stanton to name a few. Only just under 6K there to see the Mighty Hibees that day so we should appreciate the crowds we are managing to pull nowadays to watch what I would consider to be lesser gifted with the fitba. I was too young to witness the Famous Five but lucky enough to grow up watching some great players (Turnbull's Tornadoes just around the corner) and witnessing a host of brilliant matches including the demise of Naples and close fought matches against a brilliant Leeds United team full of Scottish international players. Also there at Easter Road about 1970 when we came up against Liverpool. John Toshack was immense back then. Anyway I've digressed a bit so will end there. Apart from c'mon the Hibees.

Iggy Pope
02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
Lived in Wales until I was 7 and when we were here on holiday in1948 when I was 6 my grandad took me to the north end of the stand to see a game against I think Clyde.When we went home to Wales I told everyone I was a Hibs supporter.I started going to Easter Road regularly in 1951/52(I also went regularly on the train from Leith to Tynecastle,6d return on the train and 6d to get in to the match).I’ve been very fortunate with the number of great footballers that I’ve seen particularly in the 1950s when so many clubs had players who are still legends at those clubs.

Aw man, these stories are beautiful.

hibby6270
02-12-2019, 10:18 PM
I’m sure I’ve posted this before. I’ve definitely posted it on Facebook on various Hibs groups.

First game was Hibs - Dundee in October 1962. 2-2 draw.
Fairly inconsequential game you’d think for my old man to take me to for my first game and I don’t recall much about the match itself, other than we stood on the top part of the East terracing and it was a sunny day.

However, although my dad never made a fuss about it at the time, I’ve since established that the greatest(?) Hibee of them all played in that game.

The Prince of Wingers - Gordon Smith.

He had been to Hearts (won the title in 1959/60) Was, at the time in Oct 1962, with Dundee having won the title with them the season before - 1961/62 - adding to the 3 titles he won with Hibs. The only non Old Firm player to achieve that feat - 3 titles with 3 different non OF teams. Doubt that will ever happen again!!

Anyhow it does explain why I was taken to that game. Gordon Smith was my dad’s hero and probably wanted to see him one last time. Although I had no idea at the time, I can honestly say I have seen the great man play at Easter Road.
Gordon Smith that is. :wink: Not my dad!!:greengrin

Mibbes Aye
03-12-2019, 01:03 AM
Despite having had family season tickets for a few years, we rarely get to games because of the distance and other commitments.

I posted about my son’s first game. If memory serves correctly my daughter has only been to two Hibs games in her life.

Her first was the match where Dominique Malonga scored very late on in injury time, I think against QOTS. For the last few minutes of the match everyone, and I mean everyone, was singing his song. It was rocking and she was enthralled!

Her second game was 21/05/2016. Nothing much to report about that, just an average day out in Glasgow........

ancient hibee
03-12-2019, 09:06 AM
I’m sure I’ve posted this before. I’ve definitely posted it on Facebook on various Hibs groups.

First game was Hibs - Dundee in October 1962. 2-2 draw.
Fairly inconsequential game you’d think for my old man to take me to for my first game and I don’t recall much about the match itself, other than we stood on the top part of the East terracing and it was a sunny day.

However, although my dad never made a fuss about it at the time, I’ve since established that the greatest(?) Hibee of them all played in that game.

The Prince of Wingers - Gordon Smith.

He had been to Hearts (won the title in 1959/60) Was, at the time in Oct 1962, with Dundee having won the title with them the season before - 1961/62 - adding to the 3 titles he won with Hibs. The only non Old Firm player to achieve that feat - 3 titles with 3 different non OF teams. Doubt that will ever happen again!!

Anyhow it does explain why I was taken to that game. Gordon Smith was my dad’s hero and probably wanted to see him one last time. Although I had no idea at the time, I can honestly say I have seen the great man play at Easter Road.
Gordon Smith that is. :wink: Not my dad!!:greengrin

You might also have seen him a year later when he played in Dundee's 4-0 victory.My memory is that he didn't do much other than four perfect crosses for Gilzean to score off each of them!

brog
03-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Any story with Blackfriars St in it is good enough. Where did you stay Broq. Is that short for Brocklehurst?

Edit. It’s BROG. I’m blind, apologies.

I was born & lived early years in St Mary St, 50 yards from where we were founded. My great grandparents were married by then Father Edward Hannan in 1873 & my grandfather was baptised by Canon Hannan in 1875!! Not much chance of me supporting any other team!

Iggy Pope
03-12-2019, 09:56 AM
I was born & lived early years in St Mary St, 50 yards from where we were founded. My great grandparents were married by then Father Edward Hannan in 1873 & my grandfather was baptised by Canon Hannan in 1875!! Not much chance of me supporting any other team!

Just around the corner at 268 Canongate myself, schooled and churched at St Pats.

FilipinoHibs
03-12-2019, 09:58 AM

The heart of Hibernian😄

JXM73
03-12-2019, 10:22 AM
First Hibs game, dumbarton 2-2 1984, dad took me to dumbarton games as a kid... scary as hell when fans changed ends at half time, for a 10 year old anyway...

First game at Easter Road, 4-4 v dundee... still a neutral then...

Be 2013 before saw Hibs win, 2-1 vs Hearts...

Now been to 80 Hibs games with a winning record and 151 goals...

St.Kristopher
05-12-2019, 07:08 PM
When I posted this I never expected this response, amazing stories.

Well now it makes twice, my wee lad wanted me to phone Boyle or send him a message. He was upset I didn't have his number. So in the end I said we could try twitter (”what’s twitter??”), anyway...this just happened!

https://twitter.com/martinboyle9/status/1202673542673895424

Hibs Class!!!:hibees

FilipinoHibs
05-12-2019, 08:29 PM

Well now it makes twice, my wee lad wanted me to phone Boyle or send him a message. He was upset I didn't have his number. So in the end I said we could try twitter (”what’s twitter??”), anyway...this just happened!

Lovely guy Martin Boyle. So funny too. Enjoy the game with your sin.

brog
05-12-2019, 08:44 PM

Class act is our Martin!