PDA

View Full Version : inability to see out games.

familyman
30-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Well that first half was pretty impressive full of skill and belief.
Sadly same old failing s for all to see in second half.
Mallan was supposed to come on where did he go?
The lack of a driving captain in the middle of the park is obvious and Dylan has been mentioned as a solution..certainly he would help.
There is still it seems a mindset that is not too healthy..players drop further and further back, stop challenging and surrender the middle of the park .
Our new manager can see this now first hand and hopefully can remedy it in January.
Frustrating stuff and all too familiar but we can take heart from first 50 mins or so .
Tactically Kilmarnock got the better of us second half and our subs did not improve the team ,I believe one made it worse.
Hibs had the crowd with them and the goals came at the right time for us, so this inability to see out games is pretty serious and all too familiar
and must be where we focus or attention.far too many draws ..but early days for new manager..
Come on Hibs believe :flag:

DavidDavidGray
30-11-2019, 07:22 PM
What did Mallan actually do wrong? Boys come on and played decently but yet gets slaughtered on here just because he’s an easy scapegoat. Kilmarnock goals have come from set pieces, they did nothing from open play. First half and second half we were by far the better team, two lapses of concentration from set pieces cost us today.

Smartie
30-11-2019, 07:27 PM
What did Mallan actually do wrong? Boys come on and played decently but yet gets slaughtered on here just because he’s an easy scapegoat. Kilmarnock goals have come from set pieces, they did nothing from open play. First half and second half we were by far the better team, two lapses of concentration from set pieces cost us today.

He did nothing wrong.

In the past he has done stuff wrong and deserved criticism, he didn’t today.

If we’re to start picking up the three points from games like today then we need to stop thinking that scapegoating the likes of Mallan is the answer.

I wouldn’t be lambasting any of them after today. It’s hard to take, we probably need to be smarter about keeping possession as a team over the final 15 minutes but we’re not doing much wrong right now and certainly don’t need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Davy Mac
30-11-2019, 07:27 PM
To be fair, I thought the Killie subs made all the difference for them, yes we started to sit deeper but that was due to Killie coming into the game and really caused us problems.

For me, we lost 2 goals from around the six yard box in front of the goals, enough said.

kaimendhibs
30-11-2019, 07:30 PM
What did Mallan actually do wrong? Boys come on and played decently but yet gets slaughtered on here just because he’s an easy scapegoat. Kilmarnock goals have come from set pieces, they did nothing from open play. First half and second half we were by far the better team, two lapses of concentration from set pieces cost us today.I really fail to see why Mallan gets such a hard time. Folk say he doesnt try, yes he does.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bingo70
30-11-2019, 07:31 PM
I think we need a big burly physical striker that can play up front himself to come off the bench when we need it.

Doidge can’t play up front himself, he just isn’t suited to that role, he’s an asset when he’s up front with someone but up front himself but as soon as he was up top himself we were practically a man down.

B.H.F.C
30-11-2019, 07:32 PM
For me, we lost 2 goals from around the six yard box in front of the goals, enough said.

All to common. If you continually let balls come in to the box the box, teams are going to get a break at some point.

Stevenson, in particular, seems completely incapable of stopping a cross these days. Changes required in that back four.

skyhibs
30-11-2019, 07:33 PM
points were lost in midfield....killie changes it around and then we sat deeper and deeper...mallan did nothing when he came on... when we have possesion we have to be smarter than to just give it away

brilliant first half and credit to everyone, then as per we fall further and further back.... i would have been happy with a draw before a ball was kicked, but after the first half it feels like a defeat

Stuart93
30-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Our midfield seemed to stop working as hard as they were when it went 2-0. Not sure if they were leggy.

We need someone in there to do the dirty stuff. Crying out for a midfielder to cover the back 4.

In saying that, our defence really needs to improve as well. Both full backs continued to let crosses come in which led to killie’s equaliser & our centre halves were posted missing a few times when the ball was played in, especially at ground level.

500miles
30-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Kamberi, Doidge, Slivka, Allan and Hallberg done loads of pressing. For the first hour, we smothered Killie's attack super effectively.

They all dropped off in the second half, probably in part because we had 2 games against fairly competitive teams in torrential conditions, and possibly because we're not used to playing that sort of tempo.

I'd like to see Omeonga back in this team, and the option of a holding midfielder (Stephen McGinn?).

Weegreenman
30-11-2019, 08:19 PM
We could have had the game wrapped up in the second half with a third goal.
The main culprits were Mallen, Horgan and Boyle who all failed to slip a pass into a team mate when in good goal scoring positions.

Our overall play was excellent though. Really disappointed not to win the game but I’m much more optimistic tonight than I was three weeks ago.
The future is bright, I’m sure of it.

wookie70
30-11-2019, 08:37 PM
We could have had the game wrapped up in the second half with a third goal.
The main culprits were Mallen, Horgan and Boyle who all failed to slip a pass into a team mate when in good goal scoring positions.

Our overall play was excellent though. Really disappointed not to win the game but I’m much more optimistic tonight than I was three weeks ago.
The future is bright, I’m sure of it.

The equaliser was Hallberg's fault for losing the ball and then fouling when Porteous was winning the ball anyway.

I couldn't believe Ross put Horgan on. I get he was trying to maybe steal a goal on the break but it was obvious Killie were getting the ball in the box when they could and he took off Kamberi and Newell who have height. Horgan and Boyle increase the Tempo of a game and that was exactly what we didn't want in the last 15. We needed to put our foot on the ball and see it out. Slivka was excellent in the last 10 minutes but he seemed to be the only one making good decisions. No idea what our manager's instruction's were but they didn't work and if Heck was in charge today he would have been crucified for the way we threw the lead against a Killie team that were terrible for an hour and looked like they were playing a training match.

A great run of results and a long time since we were defeated in the league so lots of positives. Our issues are the same as they were with Heck. Our fullbacks are exposed and let too many crosses in and we start to panic towards the end of games through lack of leadership in the middle of the park and the ability to bring fresh legs in to help defend that central area and stop teams playing.

We look about 3 or 4 players to give us a stronger spine away from having a good team and squad. The manager needs to work on game management with the squad as we are hopeless at seeing out games. I feel better now I am seeing some of the summer signings starting to really contribute. Doidge was very good again as was Newell and despite a terrible final minute Hallberg had yet another good game. Two up front has seen the results improve and that confidence has made a difference.

OstKurve Hibs
30-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Think some shooting practice is badly needed, so many weak shots from outside the box skittering along the grass into the keepers arms, not gonna be to harsh on doidge cos hes improved ten fold in recent weeks but he has to start doing better when hes one on one with keeper, to often hes blasting the ball straight at the keeper in these situations.

DetroitHibs
30-11-2019, 08:50 PM
We simply lack enough leaders on the field.

B.H.F.C
30-11-2019, 08:55 PM
The equaliser was Hallberg's fault for losing the ball and then fouling when Porteous was winning the ball anyway.

There was an awful lot happened after that though. Boyle decided to stand in front of the free kick rather than go to the boy that it was passed to. If you’re going to do that then you have to block it and take the yellow card. Then, not content with letting them cross it once, we let them cross it a second time. And nobody bothered to mark the boy in the middle of the box.

I get that none of that happens if Hallberg doesn’t lose the ball in the first place but, as a team, we are all over the place and leaderless defensively.

Ellahappyhibee
30-11-2019, 08:55 PM
As has been said by many of us, we are poor at Game Management and our defence keerp droppong back, inviitng the opposition on to us. And some players need to realise that passing to a team mate is better than a weak shot at goal

kaimendhibs
30-11-2019, 09:54 PM

I couldn't believe Ross put Horgan on. I get he was trying to maybe steal a goal on the break but it was obvious Killie were getting the ball in the box when they could and he took off Kamberi and Newell who have height. Horgan and Boyle increase the Tempo of a game and that was exactly what we didn't want in the last 15. We needed to put our foot on the ball and see it out. Slivka was excellent in the last 10 minutes but he seemed to be the only one making good decisions. No idea what our manager's instruction's were but they didn't work and if Heck was in charge today he would have been crucified for the way we threw the lead against a Killie team that were terrible for an hour and looked like they were playing a training match.

A great run of results and a long time since we were defeated in the league so lots of positives. Our issues are the same as they were with Heck. Our fullbacks are exposed and let too many crosses in and we start to panic towards the end of games through lack of leadership in the middle of the park and the ability to bring fresh legs in to help defend that central area and stop teams playing.

We look about 3 or 4 players to give us a stronger spine away from having a good team and squad. The manager needs to work on game management with the squad as we are hopeless at seeing out games. I feel better now I am seeing some of the summer signings starting to really contribute. Doidge was very good again as was Newell and despite a terrible final minute Hallberg had yet another good game. Two up front has seen the results improve and that confidence has made a difference.Those exact same subs gave us the impotus to push on and get the 3rd against Motherwell. If not for a shocking final ball from Horgan it could have been same today.
Hecky got slated for trying to defend leads with his tactics, that didnt work out.

wookie70
30-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Those exact same subs gave us the impotus to push on and get the 3rd against Motherwell. If not for a shocking final ball from Horgan it could have been same today.
Hecky got slated for trying to defend leads with his tactics, that didnt work out.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TapatalkThey did but there was also signs that it could go either way. I'd say we have done very well to get 7 from 9 points from the three games so far. We have so many players who really only think about being positive. Ross looks to be trying to use that but I think sometimes a bit of pragmatism is needed and he definitely needs to do something about our terrible game management. Some great signs though. I usually slate Scottie A for his work rate and endeavour when we are defending but he put a good shift in today and I thought he had enough energy to play on. Doidge has been working much harder too and at last it isn't just Kamberi pressing. The subs seem to be preplanned and I would think reacting to what is happening on the pitch would work better. Ross lost the battle of the subs between managers on this occassion

kaimendhibs
01-12-2019, 12:17 AM
They did but there was also signs that it could go either way. I'd say we have done very well to get 7 from 9 points from the three games so far. We have so many players who really only think about being positive. Ross looks to be trying to use that but I think sometimes a bit of pragmatism is needed and he definitely needs to do something about our terrible game management. Some great signs though. I usually slate Scottie A for his work rate and endeavour when we are defending but he put a good shift in today and I thought he had enough energy to play on. Doidge has been working much harder too and at last it isn't just Kamberi pressing. The subs seem to be preplanned and I would think reacting to what is happening on the pitch would work better. Ross lost the battle of the subs between managers on this occassionFair summary

familyman
01-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Stevie Mallan has talent no doubt but as a midfield engine no...he needs to used in a different way as lacks the strength in that area, he has an eye for a pass like Scott and needs to used some other way.
I was rather perturbed to read that new manager had not watched previous games ..unless I read this wrongly ,while I applaud him for not doing a Terry Butcher on arrival, leaving the players to be positive and show belief,I do think the way we down tools is a pattern we have shown far far too much this season and remember it lost a manager his job..we certainly do not want to happen again!!Looking at past games (recent new) can help avoid repeated patterns and is not a negative approach at all.
The first half was great and Hibs showed real belief and talent and Slivka shone ..much underrated but now playing in correct position..that surely is the key to his Hibs team.
We are not far away just crack this seeing out games PLEASE.
:flag:

eastcoasthibby
01-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Our third substiti should have been a more defensive player either Jackson or James ..cos we were already sitting deep and defending at that point ...as for what did Mallan do wrong ..biggest issue was trying to play a world cup pass as Scott Allan had tried and failed on a number of occasions during the game instead of playing the simple wide pass to Halberg ..who had a free run into the box ..he also while a couple of times just hasn't got the legs to go and track a run or shut the game down !!
While bringing on 3 attacking players on might be what many still refer to is splaying the Hibs way, it has cost us yesterday we brought on 3 players that cannot tackle or be a defensive presence whic we need to help see games out. We had 2 or 3 real good opportunities on the break when 2-1 and wasted them Horgan brilliant work wide and then his final ball decision was awful ballooning a 10 yard pass letting them break on us. while the defence is not all we expect they come under some pressure from what happens in front of them ..and that's been the same all season we got away with it on Tuesday and also the last 15 against Motherwell ..JR needs to find a solution for game management til we can get a DM in in January

superfurryhibby
01-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Our third substiti should have been a more defensive player either Jackson or James ..cos we were already sitting deep and defending at that point ...as for what did Mallan do wrong ..biggest issue was trying to play a world cup pass as Scott Allan had tried and failed on a number of occasions during the game instead of playing the simple wide pass to Halberg ..who had a free run into the box ..he also while a couple of times just hasn't got the legs to go and track a run or shut the game down !!
While bringing on 3 attacking players on might be what many still refer to is splaying the Hibs way, it has cost us yesterday we brought on 3 players that cannot tackle or be a defensive presence whic we need to help see games out. We had 2 or 3 real good opportunities on the break when 2-1 and wasted them Horgan brilliant work wide and then his final ball decision was awful ballooning a 10 yard pass letting them break on us. while the defence is not all we expect they come under some pressure from what happens in front of them ..and that's been the same all season we got away with it on Tuesday and also the last 15 against Motherwell ..JR needs to find a solution for game management til we can get a DM in in January

We didn't really get away with against Motherwell. The subs came on and relieved the fairly relentless pressure we had been under, one of them even scored the decisive 3rd goal. As you said, we actually created enough to have finished Killie off once the subs were on, unfortunately we didn't. We brought Jackson on earlier in the season to shore up the defence for the last and then conceded an equaliser (can't remember which game). Heckingbottom was criticised for doing it.

InchHibby
01-12-2019, 10:06 AM
There wasn’t a lot wrong with today’s display and certainly not a return to Heckingbottoms mindset by the players.
The first hour of this game there wouldn’t have been many teams that would have lived with that, we were absolutely where we should be in terms of playing the game as it should be.
I also thought the subs were brought on at the right time and all be it for a few poor choice of final ball we could have went three up and then the games over. It was obvious they were going to come at us and that they did, it wasn’t helped by some poor decisions by the ref and when they scored the second he was actually walking back to the centre circle talking to a Killie player as slow as you like then immediately blew for full time at the kick off.
We do though, as some have suggested, need a big character in the middle at times like these and the annoying thing is we actually had two that Heckingbottom got rid of.
Onwards and upwards, I seen nothing but positives today.