PDA

View Full Version : A work in progress

Keith_M
30-11-2019, 05:51 PM
I realise it's not a popular phrase but that's what we are at the moment.

We clearly have limitations in the squad, as the guys that came on are nowhere near as good as the players they replaced.

Hopefully this will be adressed in january but we drew today after 3 straight wins so we can't be too far away from being a decent team

J-C
30-11-2019, 06:02 PM
I realise it's not a popular phrase but that's what we are at the moment.

We clearly have limitations in the squad, as the guys that came on are nowhere near as good as the players they replaced.

Hopefully this will be adressed in january but we drew today after 3 straight wins so we can't be too far away from being a decent team
Boyle is an attacking winger, Kamberi a striker, different types. Horgan play wide left right, Newell sat left of a diamond. The only two that are alike are Allan and Horgan and we know who's the better of those two.

If anyone, boyle should replace Slivka on the right and Shaw one of the strikers. By bringing on wingers we gave up the midfield as Mallan isn't good enough to fight for the ball in the middle, that's why we need a DM. Vela is nowhere to be seen, so he's a man missing as a sub, we had Jackson and James on the bench, both very average, so no one to really shore things up and keep a hold of the ball.

Stewart mentioned that McGouch was exactly the player needed in that midfield, let's go and bring him back.

B.H.F.C
30-11-2019, 06:05 PM
We’re still suffering for the positions that we didn’t recruit for in the summer. Until we have players that can give us a bit defensive solidity, we’ll keep losing goals.

Pretty Boy
30-11-2019, 06:10 PM
We're probably short of a holding midfield type, no prizes for originality with that statement. I also think we require another CB as McGregor has more years behind him than ahead of him and I'm not sure Jackson is the answer. A bit strength in depth at LB wouldn't go amiss either.

Finally I totally agree with Stewart re McGeough or a player like him. The last few minutes today was crying out for a player just to put his foot on the ball, control the tempo and dictate the last few minutes. DM was a master at that.

nonshinyfinish
30-11-2019, 06:21 PM
If anyone, boyle should replace Slivka on the right

By bringing on wingers we gave up the midfield

Maybe I'm picking you up wrong, but I'm struggling to reconcile these two statements.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2019, 06:26 PM
We're probably short of a holding midfield type, no prizes for originality with that statement. I also think we require another CB as McGregor has more years behind him than ahead of him and I'm not sure Jackson is the answer. A bit strength in depth at LB wouldn't go amiss either.

Finally I totally agree with Stewart re McGeough or a player like him. The last few minutes today was crying out for a player just to put his foot on the ball, control the tempo and dictate the last few minutes. DM was a master at that.

I would give my right arm to see Dylan McGeouch back at Hibs.

I'm not sure it'll happen though for a few reasons, one being that Ross barely played him for Sunderland. I suppose you could argue that maybe Ross just didn't see him fitting into the side he was building at Sunderland and maybe he would feel differently about the side he's building here but I can't see it.

J-C
30-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Maybe I'm picking you up wrong, but I'm struggling to reconcile these two statements.

I meant to type Mallan not Boyle, Mallan has played there before, so shouldn't have been a problem.

We played a narrow diamond in the middle, which meant they couldn't find the space through there, they played a 4-4-1-1 and we dominated in the middle so much they couldn't cope. When Horgan and Boyle came on they went wide left and right and we went to a 4-2-3-1 which made our shape wider, Mallan played behind the striker, that meant Slivka and Hallberg struggled a wee bit in the middle.

What was obvious was the lack of anyone on the bench to come on and see out the game and shore things up, it's been like that all season and hopefully it'll be rectified in January.

green day
30-11-2019, 10:22 PM
What was obvious was the lack of anyone on the bench to come on and see out the game and shore things up, it's been like that all season and hopefully it'll be rectified in January.

100% right. Need to gain a few points up to the break then recruit really well.

The league is full of bang average teams, we could still get Europe if we persevere.

Iggy Pope
30-11-2019, 10:27 PM
I meant to type Mallan not Boyle, Mallan has played there before, so shouldn't have been a problem.

We played a narrow diamond in the middle, which meant they couldn't find the space through there, they played a 4-4-1-1 and we dominated in the middle so much they couldn't cope. When Horgan and Boyle came on they went wide left and right and we went to a 4-2-3-1 which made our shape wider, Mallan played behind the striker, that meant Slivka and Hallberg struggled a wee bit in the middle.

Bammy . Spellcheck crazy.

J-C
01-12-2019, 05:57 AM
Bammy . Spellcheck crazy.

Have you never typed something and sent it without checking it, maybe that's why my post confused him, brain says Mallan but fingers say Boyle.

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Mallan is similar to Allan and we all know who is the better player

Slivka played very well today was all over the park breaking things up and has a good partnership with Hallberg who I felt looked slack at times today but still a very good player

Not sure if Dylan is the answer I agree that we need a similar type of player but maybe with more of a physical presence and height prepared to put in a shift with Hallberg and Slivka protecting our defence and shoring things up allowing Scott Allan to work his magic

Might be worth looking on our own doorstep the boy Power looked good for Killie and Motherwell have a few promising players whatever happened to the boy that turned down the big money move to Celtic in the summer?

It is up to JR to find the solution

Who knows he may already have someone in mind from his contacts down south

If it is Dylan so be it as PB says no one closes a game out or dictates the tempo of a game better than Dylan

Would he want to come back?

green day
01-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Mallan is similar to Allan and we all know who is the better player

Slivka played very well today was all over the park breaking things up and has a good partnership with Hallberg who I felt looked slack at times today but still a very good player

Not sure if Dylan is the answer I agree that we need a similar type of player but maybe with more of a physical presence and height prepared to put in a shift with Hallberg and Slivka protecting our defence and shoring things up allowing Scott Allan to work his magic

Might be worth looking on our own doorstep the boy Power looked good for Killie and Motherwell have a few promising players whatever happened to the boy that turned down the big money move to Celtic in the summer?

It is up to JR to find the solution

Who knows he may already have someone in mind from his contacts down south

If it is Dylan so be it as PB says no one closes a game out or dictates the tempo of a game better than Dylan

Would he want to come back?

I would love to see Dylan back...............but we desperately need a defensive midfielder as well who can actually break up play, spot emerging risks and do what is necessary to see out the match.

We are very good going forward, but dont have enough (or any) players adept at the "dirty" side of the game.

Smartie
01-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Rather than looking to replace folk I’d rather our current players just managed to be a wee bit cleverer for another 5 minutes.

That wasn’t far from being a very good performance and result against a decent side.

BoomtownHibees
01-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Rather than looking to replace folk I’d rather our current players just managed to be a wee bit cleverer for another 5 minutes.

That wasn’t far from being a very good performance and result against a decent side.

The amount of times it has happened shows that some of our current players are incapable of doing that so replacing is the only option imo