PDA

View Full Version : Best 60 minutes of football all season

Diclonius
30-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Gutting to end the game like that but what came before was akin to Lennon's battling winning football from early 2018. If Ross can sort out the late-game collapses then we're onto a winner.

Nine league games unbeaten too!

Pretty Boy
30-11-2019, 04:51 PM
For 60 minutes then again from about 78 to the last seconds.

That was gutting because we should have won. A proper kick in the teeth.

Keith_M
30-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Nice to see a positive thread

👍

lyonhibs
30-11-2019, 04:57 PM
A shame games last 90+ minutes though..

Fully behind Ross but we need to have the skill and game management savvy to hold onto 2-0 leads ffs. Especially at home.

1875Hibees
30-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Very good football for most of the game. If Ross gets us to keep playing good football, keep pressing and not sitting back when we're winning he could be very good for us. First half we were completely dominant.

wookie70
30-11-2019, 05:00 PM
I think we looked better than we were. Killie were atrocious in the first hour and must the better team in the last 30 minutes albeit we looked decent on the break. The first hour was like playing against 10 traffic cones and a dodgey keeper. Bringing Horgan on was madness imo as they looked really dangerous later on and I thought another centre half might have been a better option.

DaveF
30-11-2019, 05:01 PM
I really enjoyed 50 minutes and then we vanished for 20 handing over the initiative to Killie before coming back into it again.

Thought we played some really good stuff but our defensive lapses are killing us.

Not too disappointed. Everyone knows we need some minor tweaks and that will happen.

We are definitely on the right track and that's pleasing.

RMQ1967
30-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Played some wonderful stuff. Really entertaining game with both teams playing some good stuff but should have won that with plenty to spare.

Play like that & most teams will be blown away.

Booked4Being-Ugly
30-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Our decision making late on in the game killed us. Horgan doing brilliantly to get in behind Killes defence and then chipping the ball to nobody, Mallan trying to play Doidge in instead of out wide. Halberg caught in possession instead of playing it out wide to Boyle.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2019, 05:11 PM
We were by far the better team and should have won easily.

Yet again the attacking players are being let down by the defence.

It's not good enough losing 2-0 leads at home and now 15 points dropped from a winning position.

Hibee Mac
30-11-2019, 05:17 PM
We were by far the better team and should have won easily.

Yet again the attacking players are being let down by the defence.

It's not good enough losing 2-0 leads at home and now 15 points dropped from a winning position.

I agree in general but I don't think it's as easy to split the blame between the attacking and defensive players. The attackers who are gifting the ball away in crucial times and areas of the park are not helping their defensive partners in any way whatsoever.

Horgan and Mallan in particular finding ways to turn dangerous opportunities into great counter attacks for Killie.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2019, 05:23 PM
I agree in general but I don't think it's as easy to split the blame between the attacking and defensive players. The attackers who are gifting the ball away in crucial times and areas of the park are not helping their defensive partners in any way whatsoever.

Horgan and Mallan in particular finding ways to turn dangerous opportunities into great counter attacks for Killie.

True I agree with that.

we are hibs
30-11-2019, 05:27 PM
We played really well. Plenty fight, skill, attacking passing football.

But towards the end of games we need to be more clever. Retain the ball in their half. Time waste. Win free kicks. Ball into the corner. Whatever it takes to hold on.

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2019, 05:37 PM
First 45 was brilliant looked like the high press we were promised

Great start to the second half with Naismiths strike really need to see games out

Over to JR

WoreTheGreen
30-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Before I read this thread I said it was the best 60 minutes I’ve seen for a while just crap we couldn’t see it out but big improvements in a short period

MacGruber
30-11-2019, 06:37 PM
Great 60 mins then we took off our best player. It was no coincidence

DJ HIBBY
30-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Our best player today was Slivka, his best game I’ve seen in a hibs jersey

B.H.F.C
30-11-2019, 06:47 PM

Allan wasn’t our best player today, far from it IMO. Same as Tuesday.

Gmack7
30-11-2019, 06:47 PM

I'm wasn't convinced at the game Allan and newall should have cane off they were doung just fine at that point

col02
30-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Very good performance for an hour. Gutted to see a team who should have been buried come back and equalise. Credit to the midfield in particular that started today.

Crab apple
30-11-2019, 06:49 PM
We are a much improved team since PH departed. It’s not just that we’ve more points in the bag but the football is night and day from a few weeks back. Clearly there are things that need improving and JR will prove his worth if he can address these.

JimBHibees
30-11-2019, 06:57 PM
Our best player today was Slivka, his best game I’ve seen in a hibs jersey

He was brilliant so talented. Didn't think Allan was that good to be honest some relatively easy passes not made. Thought Mallan was fine when he came on.

B.H.F.C
30-11-2019, 07:00 PM
We are a much improved team since PH departed. It’s not just that we’ve more points in the bag but the football is night and day from a few weeks back. Clearly there are things that need improving and JR will prove his worth if he can address these.

There are things that need improving, that can’t be improved with the current squad IMO. Until we can make some changes I think we just need to accept that things like today will happen. Meantime, we just need to keep looking to score goals.

ABZHFC
30-11-2019, 07:00 PM
I think Allan could maybe do with a rest on Wednesday night, seems to be a bit out of puff, would love to have back fit and firing for Aberdeen next weekend

Weegreenman
30-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Best we’ve played for a long time. Play like this most weeks and we’ll be fine.

jaf
30-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Our decision making late on in the game killed us. Horgan doing brilliantly to get in behind Killes defence and then chipping the ball to nobody, Mallan trying to play Doidge in instead of out wide. Halberg caught in possession instead of playing it out wide to Boyle.

Thats the way I saw it as well, all were glaringly the wrong choice at the wrong time unfortunately for us but that shouldnt detract from I thought was generally a positive performance.

whiskas
30-11-2019, 08:45 PM
I think we ran out of steam last 30 due to putting so much into the first half. Gutted to only get one point rather than 3 from that

DaveF
30-11-2019, 09:50 PM
I think Allan could maybe do with a rest on Wednesday night, seems to be a bit out of puff, would love to have back fit and firing for Aberdeen next weekend

He's a player we can not afford to leave out but I agree he looked well off the pace and had a poor game today by his high standards.

The Harp Awakes
30-11-2019, 09:54 PM

Yes, those 3 decisions put us onto the defensive which ultimately led to us losing 2 points. I wouldn't be too critical of the players though. They were brilliant for 60 mins.

Enjoyed that game the most out of any this season. Well done Hibs..

wookie70
30-11-2019, 09:55 PM
He's a player we can not afford to leave out but I agree he looked well off the pace and had a poor game today by his high standards. Defensively Allan was the best he has been all season. Not his sparkling best with the ball but better than he was midweek and was involved in both our goals. I'd have kept him on longer and also kept Newell on longer too

DaveF
30-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Defensively Allan was the best he has been all season. Not his sparkling best with the ball but better than he was midweek and was involved in both our goals. I'd have kept him on longer and also kept Newell on longer too

Agree on his defensive effort. It was noticeable how much he was pressing to win it back (as the while team were) but his passing was poor for the most. Just one of those days and I thought he just got more frustrated as the game went on as it wasn't happening for him. Right decision to sub him IMO.

Carheenlea
30-11-2019, 10:25 PM
I was more annoyed today with dropping two points than I was with some of Heckingbottom’s late capitulations this season, simply on how good we had been for a large part the game.
Enjoyed very much watching us intercept lots of Kilmarnock passes and break up their play in midfield, but once that died down they were able to hurt us from wide areas in a similar fashion to where St Mirren and Motherwell got most of their joy against us in the recent matches.

Nicho87
30-11-2019, 10:27 PM
A lot a lot of positives from today’s game. Ross sadly going to get one or two bumps along the road early doors. Bit early doors and 20 shots on goal is much more like it. Killie were camped in their own half first 45. Confident in JR.

NAE NOOKIE
30-11-2019, 11:53 PM
As the thread title says, that was the best 60 minutes Hibs have played in a long time. What was impressive was that we were much more confident on the ball making and receiving passes in tight areas. I'm not saying Killie were at their best in that hour, but it's a bit unfair on a great Hibs effort on and off the ball to say Killie made us look good, I prefer to think our good play put them on the back foot.

It was noticeable as the game entered the last half hour that Hibs had begun to tire and Killie saw it too bringing on fresh legs ... you have to give them credit for not giving the game up, but by failing to prevent crosses into our box and making poor decisions further up the park we gave them more help than we should have, the forwards were as much to blame for that draw as the defence was.

Even then we had chances to put the game out of Killie's reach, but poor passes and some poor finishing cost us ... WTF Horgan was thinking with that cross only he will know and why Mallan tried the world cup ball when a much easier and just as effective pass was on to his right I don't know.

What has become clear, not just from today but the whole season, is that we need a good defensive midfield player ... a 25 year old Marvin Bartley would do just fine :greengrin

davhibby
01-12-2019, 12:07 AM

All other 3 midfield starters had better games than him, Allan played well but in that first hour especially the other 3 were fantastic.

Hibernian Verse
01-12-2019, 03:32 AM
A shame games last 90+ minutes though..

Fully behind Ross but we need to have the skill and game management savvy to hold onto 2-0 leads ffs. Especially at home.Come on Tarq. It's points dropped but if you were offered 10 points from 12 post Hecky youd have taken it. Unlucky today. We will be back stronger.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

J-C
01-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Very good 60 mins but the change of shape didn't help, having the 4 In the diamond worked a treat but adding the width with Horgan and Boyle gave them a wee advantage in the middle where there was extra space. Not having enough decent centre mids as cover hasn't helped, the 3 subs have done well recently just not this time. A Dm in January please.

Since452
01-12-2019, 07:17 AM
We were a joy to watch. Gutting to draw the game but i guess after St Mirren I can't grumble too much

Ray_
01-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Very good 60 mins but the change of shape didn't help, having the 4 In the diamond worked a treat but adding the width with Horgan and Boyle gave them a wee advantage in the middle where there was extra space. Not having enough decent centre mids as cover hasn't helped, the 3 subs have done well recently just not this time. A Dm in January please.

We had long since given the initiative to Killie before any of the subs came on and most of their productive work was coming from the wing.

We are not far away, but have to get the blinkers off in or near the box, too often we tried a shot when a team mate was in a far better position and we need more than Scott Allan to see it.

To perform so well against Killie and being so disappointed not to win is great progress and hopefully either coaching or the transfer window will sort out the weaknesses.

MacGruber
01-12-2019, 07:55 AM
All other 3 midfield starters had better games than him, Allan played well but in that first hour especially the other 3 were fantastic.

The other 3 were fantastic, Slivka was my MOTM. Allan was superb for the first hour too. More off the ball than on it, though we score the 2nd goal largely because of Allan with the help of others in a very good move.
Allan going off and Mallan going on cost us the game - in a nutshell. As always in football it is never one thing, poor defending at the end, poor individual decisions, the team dropping too deep but the substitution was the catalyst for it all. I don't blame Ross for taking off Allan - he was maybe just done. I don't blame him for putting on Mallan as he never had that many options for centre mid to go with from the bench.
Allan's work rate had been phenomenal. The chasing, pressing, tackling and amount of interceptions was tremendous. He won it off the centre backs, full backs, in midfield. One tackle on Burke just before he went off he had no right to win and just simply never gave it up. That slide tackle after a 30 yard chase to make it put the ball out for a throw in. If he hadn't bothered Burke would have been off down the line. We were all at it for the first hourz strikers chasing, Halberg, Slivka. Allan's position high up the park meant they could never settle. It was harder for them to get a hold in midfield or plot their way down the flanks. When he went off they had more time to play in that area. Mallan comes on and does what he does, technical tidy wee player, always a threat, shots at goal, set pieces, generally looks like he has a goal in him. He looked good in the main and definitely has his strengths. He does however have to be played in a midfield that is more defensive minded. That game wouldn't have worked for us the same if Mallan started in Allan's place. Allan can do it because of his workrate and willingness to chase, tackle and put himself about aswell as being our best player on the balll (not today as it happened but generally he is). They walked past Mallan when they had it. There was no 30 yard chase to put the ball out for a throw. Watching him specifically yesterday there were times Killie had us under pressure and he was standing still watching. Halberg, Slivka were still putting in the work a bit deeper but Killie could now build from deep. We looked good at times going forward when Mallan, Horgan and Boyle were on but too open at the back. Mallan and Horgan were especially guilty of some poor decisions too in the dying minutes - god how we miss McGinn's big behind sheilding the ball in the corner for the last couple of minutes.
Anyway it's done now. Gutted yesterday. At the goal being so late, not taking the 3 points we deserved, losing our momentum and feel good factor, not going 10 points above Hearts and deflating them all with that.
Happy however that we are looking better under Ross and not far away from having a very good team

MrRobot
01-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Defensively Allan was the best he has been all season. Not his sparkling best with the ball but better than he was midweek and was involved in both our goals. I'd have kept him on longer and also kept Newell on longer too

Agreed. Wasn’t as flash and silky but he put in more of a defensive shift. Shouldn’t have been subbed when he was.

marinello59
01-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Agreed. Wasn’t as flash and silky but he put in more of a defensive shift. Shouldn’t have been subbed when he was.

I thought Allan was taken off because he was tiring and no wonder, he had covered an immense amount of ground.

MrRobot
01-12-2019, 09:12 AM
I thought Allan was taken off because he was tiring and no wonder, he had covered an immense amount of ground.

I thought he still had some time in him to be honest but he was all over the place yesterday.

Can’t fault anybody for the first hour tbh, was the best we’ve played since Lennon IMO.

Cod Boy
01-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Allan put in a great shift but would have kept him on as Mallan doesn’t want to work hard off the ball.

AlbertK86
01-12-2019, 09:43 AM
Gutting to end the game like that but what came before was akin to Lennon's battling winning football from early 2018. If Ross can sort out the late-game collapses then we're onto a winner.

Nine league games unbeaten too!

Totally agree ...scintillating for an hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coco mc
02-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Thats the way I saw it as well, all were glaringly the wrong choice at the wrong time unfortunately for us but that shouldnt detract from I thought was generally a positive performance.

I think the issue is when these guys come on, they are desperate to impress rather than do game management.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-12-2019, 07:59 AM
The team are playing with their tails up when it's going well and we are being set up in a more positive way. The fragility bit when we are under pressure is symptomatic of Heckingbottom's time in charge so we shouldn't expect Ross to be able get this mindset out in the space of a few weeks.

Carheenlea
02-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Read an interesting stat on Twitter that highlighted that we have conceded 10 first half goals this season, but have conceded 11 after 85 mins (6 in last 5 and 5 in injury time)