PDA

View Full Version : Holding onto Leads

HibeeHibernian4
30-11-2019, 04:05 PM
What is it with us?

It goes back longer than Ross or Heckingbottom. Lennon threw away a couple but not as many. Stubbs was guilty of it from time to time, especially in the latter half of 2015/16. The managers before them hardly ever had us in winning positions to throw away.

Why do so many sides up and down the country see out one or two goal leads every week without fail, but Hibs just seem to find it so difficult to?

St Johnstone in August, County in October and Killie today all ending 2-2 with Hibs having led 1-0 + 2-1 or 2-0.

SlickShoes
30-11-2019, 04:08 PM
What is it with us?

It goes back longer than Ross or Heckingbottom. Lennon threw away a couple but not as many. Stubbs was guilty of it from time to time, especially in the latter half of 2015/16. The managers before them hardly ever had us in winning positions to throw away.

Why do so many sides up and down the country see out one or two goal leads every week without fail, but Hibs just seem to find it so difficult to?

St Johnstone in August, County in October and Killie today all ending 2-2 with Hibs having led 1-0 + 2-1 or 2-0.

Other teams do it all the time you just don’t support them so it’s not the same

A Hi-Bee
30-11-2019, 04:14 PM
7 games now where we have been up anther team in, potential 14 more points would have us breathing doon the huns necks.

HibeeHibernian4
30-11-2019, 04:18 PM
Other teams do it all the time you just don’t support them so it’s not the same

There is an element of this but I honestly think that we must statistically be one of the absolute worst offenders for it.

Greenbeard
30-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Have we got the players to play a slow holding game to protect a lead? If not, and I don't think we have, or at least not enough, then don't try and play that game.

Mango Man
30-11-2019, 04:53 PM
We are the Kings of the losing end of a draw, absolutely gutted after that, just feels like a defeat.

90th Minute goal against Morton.
90th minute goal against St Johnstone
86th minute goal against Aberdeen
84th minute goal against Hearts
90th minute goal against Ross County
90th minute goal against St Johnstone again.
90th minute goal against St Mirren
90th minute goal against Killie.

We are lacking a real mental toughness that needs sorted out pronto, we've made huge improvements going forward though this last couple of weeks, but no clean sheets is not good.

Bobby's Cinema
30-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Have we got the players to play a slow holding game to protect a lead? If not, and I don't think we have, or at least not enough, then don't try and play that game.
I don’t think we did?
Brought on attacking subs once again. If anything, our subs desperate to impress going for the third goal rather than sitting and taking care of the ball slightly culpable. There was a few times last five minutes we were driving with the ball when we could have retained and seen it out.

truehibernian
30-11-2019, 04:54 PM
It's not just leads, we also lost last minute goals / late goals v St Johnstone (May) and St Mirren (Morais).

It's certainly a side of our game that needs work on (concentration, decision-making, psychology).

I'm very happy we are scoring goals however and good ones at that. If we cut out the slackness late in games, we'll be up and about the top 4.

CloudSquall
30-11-2019, 05:27 PM
It brings back memories of the Williamson years, if I remember correctly if games under him had finished on 75 minutes we'd have finished 3rd.

Sir David Gray
30-11-2019, 05:31 PM
15 points I believe now that we've lost from winning positions.

We need to sort that out pronto.

Hibees1973
30-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Ross clearly needs to sort this out. It is not formation or bottle. I put it down to the attacking midfielders and forwards being unable to keep possession further up the park and an inability to win cheap fouls late in the game.

We have good footballers in the attacking half of the field but they need to wise up.

It is a lottery when teams hoof the ball up the park and try to get knock-ons. This is always going to happen as there are plenty of players in Scottish football able to hoof it up the park.

What we need to do is minimise the amount of times the opposition are able to hoof it up later in the game. Every team loses the odd late goal due to the hoof, but we are losing far too many.

Some people will feel it is all down to our defence, but I disagree. We are unable to ‘kill the game’ late on.

Hibs are a good footballing side, which was proven by in the first hour today. Maybe after Tuesday’s game we tired late on, but this shouldn’t be used as and excuse. Some of our players need to try and be a bit cuter.

ancient hibee
30-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Until we play a goalie who will come for the ball instead of allowing it to bounce around in the box we will be vulnerable.

DetroitHibs
30-11-2019, 05:52 PM
It’s the lack of a proper captain. It’s no coincidence when SDG plays our results improve.

kaimendhibs
30-11-2019, 05:57 PM
When other teams are pushing for an equaliser at Easter Road, we should switch the scoreboard clock off. Convinced it spurs them on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

GaryOsCheerios
30-11-2019, 06:05 PM
It brings back memories of the Williamson years, if I remember correctly if games under him had finished on 75 minutes we'd have finished 3rd.

This.

B.H.F.C
30-11-2019, 06:29 PM
It’s the lack of a proper captain. It’s no coincidence when SDG plays our results improve.

That’s nae good to us when we only see him for a third of the season if we’re lucky.

The defence needed sorted in the summer and we failed miserably. Hopefully we can clear out some of those that aren’t going to contribute anything and Ross can get some bodies in that actually improve us.

supermcginn
30-11-2019, 06:33 PM

I agree, the current captain couldn't be less inspirational.

Hibernia&Alba
30-11-2019, 07:56 PM
We are the Kings of the losing end of a draw, absolutely gutted after that, just feels like a defeat.

We are lacking a real mental toughness that needs sorted out pronto, we've made huge improvements going forward though this last couple of weeks, but no clean sheets is not good.

Yes, to lose so many 90th minute goals this early in this season is poor stuff. We need to toughen up and start defending like nasty bassas.

Phil MaGlass
30-11-2019, 07:57 PM
It will come. No bother.

Stuart93
30-11-2019, 08:01 PM
15 points I believe now that we've lost from winning positions.

We need to sort that out pronto.

I think it’s more down to playing staff than anything else

We need a no nonsense horrible dirty midfielder who’s prepared to boot anything that moves when push comes to shove.

DetroitHibs
30-11-2019, 08:02 PM
I agree, the current captain couldn't be less inspirational.

Agree, he’s not a natural leader.

Pretty Boy
30-11-2019, 08:09 PM
We leave ourselves open to these kind of endings because we don't kill games off. Even 2-0 isn't an easy lead.

How many bad decisions did we make in the last 10-15 minutes today? We got into decent positions and chose the wrong pass, had the chance to make a simple pass and tried something over ambitious instead or had the chance just to run the clock down and didn't.

Yes we lost a goal from conceding a stupid free kick and not defending a set piece well but we were in that position because we failed to kill off a team in a game we dominated and also failed to properly manage the game. If a defence knows every goal conceded could be costly it breeds a nervousness and that is was apparent today.

Bishop Hibee
30-11-2019, 08:17 PM
We need to be able to bring a defensive midfielder on to protect leads. A must for the transfer window.

kaimendhibs
30-11-2019, 09:08 PM
We leave ourselves open to these kind of endings because we don't kill games off. Even 2-0 isn't an easy lead.

How many bad decisions did we make in the last 10-15 minutes today? We got into decent positions and chose the wrong pass, had the chance to make a simple pass and tried something over ambitious instead or had the chance just to run the clock down and didn't.

Yes we lost a goal from conceding a stupid free kick and not defending a set piece well but we were in that position because we failed to kill off a team in a game we dominated and also failed to properly manage the game. If a defence knows every goal conceded could be costly it breeds a nervousness and that is was apparent today.None as bad as clancys decision to give them our blatant throw in[emoji2959]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Onion
30-11-2019, 09:29 PM
7 games now where we have been up anther team in, potential 14 more points would have us breathing doon the huns necks.

Self-fulfilling. All teams know (including Hibs ) that if any team is within 1 goal of Hibs with 5 mins left then they have a better than decent chance of scoring. Hibs fold like a cheap suit. Soft centred, lack of leaders on the park, zero steel. Jack Ross knows the answer - bring n a couple of tough, hardened winners into midfield and defence and get shot of the weak losers who keep folding.

The upside is Jack Ross is new and has the perfect opportunity to do something about it - and can simply show Hibs record to the Hibs Board when he goes for money.

Iggy Pope
30-11-2019, 09:34 PM

If we are counting Morton then we have a striker getting off the chart?

FilipinoHibs
30-11-2019, 09:50 PM
I also think Scott Allan is taken off too early. Know we have a heavy schedule but helps us keep good pocession and limit the other team from attacking.

We also have to work on concentration and decision making. There was one very sloppy pass from Horgan after good work that put us under pressure. Finally, for the goal Haalberg tried to beat a man instead of playing long into corner for Boyle. Was tackled and led to the attack that gave away goal. These are basic mistakes that should be eliminated. Still 9 in a row and we cant fear anyone from next two games - Aberdeen not a threatening attacking force. We would all have taken 10 points from 12. 9 unbeaten in the league and top 6. Jack handled the post match summing well to. No crazy blame game, saying all gutted but we must work on a few things. Onwards and upwards.