PDA

View Full Version : Craigroyston FC

Iggy Pope
29-11-2019, 08:54 AM
Closing down at the end of the season?
Sorry I don’t know how to share the Tweet.

Sad state of affairs and a club we’ve played a lot of Development friendly (and EOS) games against.

Pretty Boy
29-11-2019, 09:12 AM
I read this on Twitter yesterday. Sad to see as they were always a club I enjoyed playing against. Well run side.

Running a football team in Edinburgh, and I'm sure elsewhere, is becoming an increasingly expensive business and there's a fairly big turnover of teams in the amateur leagues every year. All but the most established are only a few missed subs away from struggling to cover costs. The introduction of the Lowland League and the influx of strong ex junior teams has probably put a huge pressure on the 'also rans' in the EOS league and they are likely in the same boat as a lot of the sides in the amateur leagues now. Even a traditionally successful side like Whitehills are in danger of relegation, again.

It's to the credit of the manager and players that they have agreed to fulfil their fixtures this season. They are without a win all season in the league so it must be pretty hard to motivate themselves to go out and lose every week knowing there is nothing at the end of it.

Keyser Sauzee
29-11-2019, 10:58 AM
Sad to read this, used to play for Craigroyston a few years ago. A good club but must be a nightmare to run a club at that level financially.

Sudds_1
29-11-2019, 11:06 AM
I read this on Twitter yesterday. Sad to see as they were always a club I enjoyed playing against. Well run side.

Running a football team in Edinburgh, and I'm sure elsewhere, is becoming an increasingly expensive business and there's a fairly big turnover of teams in the amateur leagues every year. All but the most established are only a few missed subs away from struggling to cover costs. The introduction of the Lowland League and the influx of strong ex junior teams has probably put a huge pressure on the 'also rans' in the EOS league and they are likely in the same boat as a lot of the sides in the amateur leagues now. Even a traditionally successful side like Whitehills are in danger of relegation, again.

It's to the credit of the manager and players that they have agreed to fulfil their fixtures this season. They are without a win all season in the league so it must be pretty hard to motivate themselves to go out and lose every week knowing there is nothing at the end of it.

Good club. I used to go to their fund raising breakfasts at the masonic club in shrubhill when a mate od mine was club president. Great days with a wide range og ex pros there...cropley and gordon marshall were usually there. Sad togear theyre going...☹

zitelli62
29-11-2019, 12:32 PM
I used to play for them the man who started them a great football man called rab Melrose done everything in the early days from fundraising to putting the nets up they were never the same since they left city park Spartans got all the benefits not craigroyston this is so so sad at least I can always say I was a craigie boy and had the privilege of pulling that top on this is so sad.