PDA

View Full Version : Coefficient

Ozyhibby
29-11-2019, 08:44 AM
I see we are up the 15th in the rankings now. If we hold that to the end of the season then we gain an extra champions league spot and 5th place in the league gets in to the Europa league 21/22 season. I think the third place team also goes straight into Europa groups as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
29-11-2019, 08:48 AM
I see we are up the 15th in the rankings now. If we hold that to the end of the season then we gain an extra champions league spot and 5th place in the league gets in to the Europa league 21/22 season. I think the third place team also goes straight into Europa groups as well.

That would make it especially sweet if Sevco happened to die trying to stop 10 in a row.

xyz23jc
29-11-2019, 08:53 AM
That would make it especially sweet if Sevco happened to die trying to stop 10 in a row.

:top marks I'm in! :agree::greengrin

davhibby
29-11-2019, 08:59 AM

That’s not quite correct as there’s the new 3rd competition starting that season so that changes where teams enter but we’d be getting an extra european place

Ozyhibby
29-11-2019, 09:16 AM
3pts at home this week would be a massive statement that we are back in the hunt for the European places this season. It’s crucial for the club to be involved in Europe each season.

Posh Swanny
29-11-2019, 09:44 AM
That’s not quite correct as there’s the new 3rd competition starting that season so that changes where teams enter but we’d be getting an extra european place

Yep. 15th means 1 in the Europa League and 2 in the Europa Conference, according to Wikipedia.

Scotland currently 5th in the rankings so far this season despite being the only country in the top ten without any bonus points for teams reaching the Champions Leaue group stages. Credit where it's due to Lenny and Stevie Gee. Let's just hope Hibs can take advantage and that us, Aberdeen etc can start accumulating coefficient points on a regular basis too.

FilipinoHibs
29-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Yep. 15th means 1 in the Europa League and 2 in the Europa Conference, according to Wikipedia.

Scotland currently 5th in the rankings so far this season despite being the only country in the top ten without any bonus points for teams reaching the Champions Leaue group stages. Credit where it's due to Lenny and Stevie Gee. Let's just hope Hibs can take advantage and that us, Aberdeen etc can start accumulating coefficient points on a regular basis too.

Yes in the early rounds did not make much difference but now a big boost for Scottish football.

Hibernian Verse
29-11-2019, 10:18 AM

As long as "etc" doesn't mean Hearts I'm in

worcesterhibby
29-11-2019, 10:32 AM

what about cup winners ? will it just be 1-4 in the league or will the cup winners get the 2nd Europa Conference spot ?

jacomo
29-11-2019, 10:34 AM
As long as "etc" doesn't mean Hearts I'm in

Hearts and Europe. lol.

Hibernian Verse
29-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Hearts and Europe. lol.

We laugh, but it was them playing in the group stages within my relatively short lifetime. Don't want that happening again.

Posh Swanny
29-11-2019, 10:45 AM
what about cup winners ? will it just be 1-4 in the league or will the cup winners get the 2nd Europa Conference spot ?

5 european spots in total so assume it would be:

1st: CL
2nd: CL
3rd: EL
4th: EC
SC: EC

Or is the cup normally ranked higher? Cant remember!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#Men's_Country_coefficient

KWJ
29-11-2019, 11:47 AM
I think it should go to the winners of the league cup before 5th place.

Sure this will typically be Celtic and then it can go to 5th but It'd be a bit poor another team won the League Cup, finished 6th and somebody else got Europe for coming 5th. Unless it was us :greengrin

davhibby
29-11-2019, 12:45 PM
5 european spots in total so assume it would be:

1st: CL
2nd: CL
3rd: EL
4th: EC
SC: EC

Or is the cup normally ranked higher? Cant remember!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#Men's_Country_coefficient

Europa League place would go to the cup winner

worcesterhibby
29-11-2019, 12:48 PM
I think it should go to the winners of the league cup before 5th place.

Sure this will typically be Celtic and then it can go to 5th but It'd be a bit poor another team won the League Cup, finished 6th and somebody else got Europe for coming 5th. Unless it was us :greengrin

5th place won't get a slot it will be top 4 and SC winner. If SC winner is already qualified it will then go to SC runners up..only if they have already qualified too will it go to 5th. If it switched to the League cup it could easily be someone who get's pumped off Celtic in the final and comes 11th in the league. Better sticking with league positions I think, At least you know the team has been reasonably consistent over the season.

ElginHibbie
29-11-2019, 01:08 PM
5th place won't get a slot it will be top 4 and SC winner. If SC winner is already qualified it will then go to SC runners up..only if they have already qualified too will it go to 5th. If it switched to the League cup it could easily be someone who get's pumped off Celtic in the final and comes 11th in the league. Better sticking with league positions I think, At least you know the team has been reasonably consistent over the season.

Sottish cup runners don't get a place these days, dunno if it was because of our Malmo result but fairly sure we were the last to get in that way before they changed it

worcesterhibby
29-11-2019, 01:20 PM
Sottish cup runners don't get a place these days, dunno if it was because of our Malmo result but fairly sure we were the last to get in that way before they changed it

I stand corrected :aok: