PDA

View Full Version : Highlights

SanFranHibs
26-11-2019, 11:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGmRGfLh6JI

ehf
26-11-2019, 11:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGmRGfLh6JI

Hanlon gets turned far too easily there.

Heisenberg
26-11-2019, 11:21 PM
Certainly looked very open at the back and also very slow right across the back four. Both central defenders get turned with ease throughout those highlights. No idea why Maxwell went charging out of his goal.

Doidge gets extremely lucky with his goal but he certainly deserves it. Lovely run from Boyle to win the pen.

Vault Boy
26-11-2019, 11:22 PM
Looks like we got away with that a bit. Harsh conditions and a difficult place to play, but that's winter in Scottish football so I suppose it should be accounted for.

Porteous will have better games than that. Hopefully we see a step up in performance against Killie. The same result would do nicely though!

Delighted we won that tonight, huge 3 points for us. Doidge is getting all the lucky breaks that weren't going his way previously. Incredible what a bit of confidence can do.

LaMotta
26-11-2019, 11:22 PM

Hanlon does well to bail out Porto in the first half though.

Boyle's pace instrumental in securing the 3 points.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2019, 11:44 PM
Hanlon does well to bail out Porto in the first half though.

Boyle's pace instrumental in securing the 3 points.

Carefully, can't mention any Porteous mistakes, Hanlon is the baddy who needs replacing.

CMurdoch
26-11-2019, 11:52 PM
For those not at the game.
Every Hibs highlight is in that clip.
A horrific watch if it hadn't been for the win.

WTF was Maxwell doing!

The clip for the penalty doesn't do Boyle justice.
It was truly the highlight of the night.
Running at warp speed and leaning over at 60 degrees as he goes past the defender.
Boyle on the wall of death before the hapless defender clips the foot of the blur that is the Squirrel.
Classic

B.H.F.C
26-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Doidge is getting all the lucky breaks that weren't going his way previously. Incredible what a bit of confidence can do.

It’s incredible what spending a bit of time in the box can do, rather than spending all your time trying to have a ‘good all round game’ 40 yards from goal.

Earning his luck by getting in to the right positions. Should be in to double figures by the winter break and, all of a sudden, he’ll be looking like a good signing.

Unseen work
26-11-2019, 11:56 PM
It’s crazy the breaks Doidge is now getting after so long without any luck.

I know he’s now scored 5 in 3 but I’d like to see a couple of convincing finishes as I’m sure he would as he will know himself he’s got a bit fortunate and is probably desperate for a good clean goal.

Hopefully he gets and buries a 1 v 1 on Saturday to get over that hurdle and really improve his confidence in those positions.

Defence is looking a bit ropey to say the least, opposition players seem to run at us and cause us problems very easily.

Although 3 wins in a row with the 442 diamond I can see this changing come Saturday. Ross will know Kilmarnock is a tough tough game where winning the midfield battle is crucial.

LaMotta
26-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Carefully, can't mention any Porteous mistakes, Hanlon is the baddy who needs replacing.

As you know I like to provide balance :greengrin

Deansy
27-11-2019, 01:26 AM
Their goal was a disaster from our defence's point of view - TWO standing off the Saints-player who eventually slips the ball through for his mate to score- why couldn't ONE of our 2 defenders actually tackle instead of BOTH standing off ??. From the highlights I'd say we rode our luck to fight!

Still, it's 3 points plus it stresses-out our neighbours who, despite being a 'Big team' take the time to be un-naturally obsessed with anything/everything Hibs !

mjhibby
27-11-2019, 03:19 AM
Looks like we got away with that a bit. Harsh conditions and a difficult place to play, but that's winter in Scottish football so I suppose it should be accounted for.

Porteous will have better games than that. Hopefully we see a step up in performance against Killie. The same result would do nicely though!

Delighted we won that tonight, huge 3 points for us. Doidge is getting all the lucky breaks that weren't going his way previously. Incredible what a bit of confidence can do.

Ross said in his interview he thought the team looked a bit leggy in the second half. Would explain st midden dominating for long spells. I'm sure the well match took a lot out of the players and we should be refreshed for Saturday.

Dazzjw1875
27-11-2019, 05:24 AM
Alot of players looking very heavy legged, but to be expected 3day turn around and a soggy surface will drain your energy.. hopefully this was just a wee blip. Good to go on sat with a better performance

Since452
27-11-2019, 05:26 AM
Porteous needs to cut out the mistakes or we'll eventually pay for them

ian cruise
27-11-2019, 05:43 AM

Hanlon and Porteous were both good without being spectacular. They were having to do so much work to cover the full backs that mistakes were inevitable.

bingo70
27-11-2019, 06:06 AM
Doidge did well to get so much power on a looping cross like that. I know it took a massive deflection but he did better than he’s getting credit for imo. Wasn’t a fluffed header that got a lucky clip on the way in.

Golden Bear
27-11-2019, 06:36 AM
We'll take that victory and run!

:greengrin

SMAXXA
27-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Their goal was a disaster from our defence's point of view - TWO standing off the Saints-player who eventually slips the ball through for his mate to score- why couldn't ONE of our 2 defenders actually tackle instead of BOTH standing off ??. From the highlights I'd say we rode our luck to fight!

Still, it's 3 points plus it stresses-out our neighbours who, despite being a 'Big team' take the time to be un-naturally obsessed with anything/everything Hibs !

Didn’t it take a massive deflection rather than slipping it through?

Hibernian Verse
27-11-2019, 06:50 AM
Didn’t it take a massive deflection rather than slipping it through?

You are correct.

On the BBC Highlights Thompson is desperate for a penalty to be given to STM...for a handball against Hanlon? I've watched it a few times and can't see how he could come to that conclusion.

A lot of people don't like his bias, but I don't mind it too much personally. At least he's not a Rangers or Celtic fan doing it.

green day
27-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Doidge did well to get so much power on a looping cross like that. I know it took a massive deflection but he did better than he’s getting credit for imo. Wasn’t a fluffed header that got a lucky clip on the way in.

Indeed - and when was the last time we had a striker that did that? i.e. As John Robertson used to say, they can come off my head, foot, knee, arse - they all count.

5 in the last 3 has contributed massively to our upturn (we are still suspect defensively) so he is to be applauded.

Juice-Terry
27-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Alot of players looking very heavy legged, but to be expected 3day turn around and a soggy surface will drain your energy.. hopefully this was just a wee blip. Good to go on sat with a better performance

Exactly the same for St Mirren, no?

1van Sprou7e
27-11-2019, 07:49 AM
You are correct.

On the BBC Highlights Thompson is desperate for a penalty to be given to STM...for a handball against Hanlon? I've watched it a few times and can't see how he could come to that conclusion.

A lot of people don't like his bias, but I don't mind it too much personally. At least he's not a Rangers or Celtic fan doing it.

He is possibly the worst pundit in Scotland

we are hibs
27-11-2019, 07:51 AM
We're now picking out every and any fault with porteous then? Good stuff :rolleyes:

The 90+2
27-11-2019, 07:55 AM
We'll take that victory and run!

:greengrin

We’ve played a lot better and lost (or drawn) springs to mind.

green day
27-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Some on here need to lighten up -

Play badly and lose - "Hibs are crap, we are getting relegated, booo"
Play well and lose - "Hibs are crap, no bottle, cant see a match out, hecky must go, booooo"
Play badly and win - "Hibs are crap - and lucky"

I haven't included "play well and win" as some people have forgotten how to react to that one.

superfurryhibby
27-11-2019, 07:58 AM
We're now picking out every and any fault with porteous then? Good stuff :rolleyes:

No, I think people are clearly highlighting that he wasn't at his best and then suggesting that there are always people looking to scapegoat others, such as Hanlon. Nothing to be concerned about.

we are hibs
27-11-2019, 08:00 AM
No, I think people are clearly highlighting that he wasn't at his best and then suggesting that there are always people looking to scapegoat others, such as Hanlon. Nothing to be concerned about.

You dont need to pick out porteous when defending Hanlon which some people seem to constantly do.

Green Badger
27-11-2019, 08:31 AM

I was not at the game so can't comment how good or bad he was, however Brian McLauchlin from the bbc game Porteous MoM.

BS44
27-11-2019, 08:34 AM
You are correct.

It is not so obvious on the beeb highlights but I was certain Hanlon used his arm at the time

hughio
27-11-2019, 08:38 AM

WTF was Maxwell doing!

Running at warp speed and leaning over at 60 degrees as he goes past the defender.
Boyle on the wall of death before the hapless defender clips the foot of the blur that is the Squirrel.
Classic

:agree:

Brightside
27-11-2019, 08:47 AM

A good partnership covers for each other when they make mistakes. Everything ive seen points to that working at the moment. I have this crazy idea that if we support our players they will continue to improve. CHs get beat in tackles, and movement all the time. Forwards should 9 time out of 10 be faster than a CH. So when they do get beat the other defender drops in to cover. It doesnt mean either player is poor. Porto will be an excellent defender in time but has lots to learn. He couldnt pick a better footballer to learn from.

J-C
27-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Just watched the highlights, Doidge gets lucky with his goal, good jump but headers it down onto the defenders head and loops over the keeper, when things start going for you eh.

HendoDelivered
27-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Wtf was maxwell doing coming out and tackling like that?

Hibernian Verse
27-11-2019, 09:06 AM
It is not so obvious on the beeb highlights but I was certain Hanlon used his arm at the timeCant see it on the highlights at all. Therefore not clear and obvious :)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sudds_1
27-11-2019, 09:06 AM

I raise you alan preston 😁

Jonnyboy
27-11-2019, 09:56 AM
It is not so obvious on the beeb highlights but I was certain Hanlon used his arm at the time

Happened right in front of us and the ball hits Hanlon and is deflected on to the St Mirren players arm.

GreenCastle
27-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Haven’t watched highlights but Hanlon and Porto actually got us out of jail quite a few times.

Our main issue still remains the middle of the pitch and lack of cover.

Brightside
27-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Haven’t watched highlights but Hanlon and Porto actually got us out of jail quite a few times.

Yep the diamond does leave us a bit open, full backs get dragged out of position and our CBs end up dealing with a lot more attacks from wide than they should.

cmcd
27-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Thompson is a very good pundit ( in my opinion)As it Michael Stewart

worcesterhibby
27-11-2019, 10:25 AM
It’s crazy the breaks Doidge is now getting after so long without any luck.

I know he’s now scored 5 in 3 but I’d like to see a couple of convincing finishes as I’m sure he would as he will know himself he’s got a bit fortunate and is probably desperate for a good clean goal.

Hopefully he gets and buries a 1 v 1 on Saturday to get over that hurdle and really improve his confidence in those positions.

His 2nd and 3rd goals against St Johnstone were a lovely angled finish into the bottom corner and a thumping downward header leaving the keeper no chance. The header last night was a lovely connection and may have gone in anyway, so it's a bit harsh to suggest all his goals have been scruffy/lucky

He actually reminds me a bit of Craig Brewster actually.

BILLYHIBS
27-11-2019, 10:36 AM
His 2nd and 3rd goals against St Johnstone were a lovely angled finish into the bottom corner and a thumping downward header leaving the keeper no chance. The header last night was a lovely connection and may have gone in anyway, so it's a bit harsh to suggest all his goals have been scruffy/lucky

He actually reminds me a bit of Craig Brewster actually.

Hmmm!

More a Keith Houchen

The Harp Awakes
27-11-2019, 11:01 AM

Correct. Hallberg is the only defensive minded midfielder we have. Slivka was decent on Saturday against Motherwell but he was weak and passive last night. Newell has been tidy enough in possession both games but like Scott Allan, closing players down isn't his game

St Mirren were therefore able to move the ball about in the midfield without challenge and that heaped pressure on the defence. It wasn't until the last 15 minutes when Boyle, Horgan and Mallan came on that we were able to hold onto possession for a bit, get the ball wide and take some pressure of the defence.

Our problems under Hecky are still there and it links to a failure to recruit defensive midfielders close season. The difference now is that Doidge has found the route to goal, Boyle is back and we now have a Head Coach who has a bit of nous and is managing the game/subs better.

hughio
27-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Highlight of last night was Porto booting the match ball into the Hibs end at the finish and my Bertie (11)grabbing it as a trophy.
Technically theft I think but nobody challenged him on the way out.

A satisfactory end to an otherwise dismal performance.

SetonClapper
27-11-2019, 11:05 AM

I raise you Stephen Craigan

Billy Whizz
27-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Highlight of last night was Porto booting the match ball into the Hibs end at the finish and my Bertie (11)grabbing it as a trophy.
Technically theft I think but nobody challenged him on the way out.

A satisfactory end to an otherwise dismal performance.
It almost hit me

Leithenhibby
27-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Just watched the highlights, Doidge gets lucky with his goal, good jump but headers it down onto the defenders head and loops over the keeper, when things start going for you eh.

Absolutely, you make your own luck as a striker. Good for him as he is now getting the rub of the green and long may that continue.

Glory Glory

Carheenlea
27-11-2019, 11:27 AM

WTF was Maxwell doing!

Classic

Not quite - they omitted the chance at 2-0 when Boyle tried to square it to Doidge for what would have pretty much been an open goal but was deflected away. 3-0 would have been a freakish scoreline given the manner of the game and 2-1 was a fairer result but one we were fortunate to escape with.

Not a great performance on what was not a great surface, but a fantastic result.

Jim44
27-11-2019, 11:35 AM

I agree about Hibs-hating Preston. At the present time, he is actually quite complimentary about Hibs, but that’s only because he is having a lover’s tiff with his favourites and is using our recent success to turn and twist the knife in them.

hughio
27-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Not quite - they omitted the chance at 2-0 when Boyle tried to square it to Doidge for what would have pretty much been an open goal but was deflected away. 3-0 would have been a freakish scoreline given the manner of the game and 2-1 was a fairer result but one we were fortunate to escape with.

Not a great performance on what was not a great surface, but a fantastic result.

I thought that the surface looked immaculate??

Hibs4185
27-11-2019, 12:03 PM
The purple strip looks the part!

Peevemor
The purple strip looks the part!

Our's or their keeper's?

HIBERNIAN-0762
I'm sure JR has recognized that we need two central defenders and a defensive midfielder, and he will address in January.

Great to see a manager get subs on when we really need them, not seen that in a long time at ER

Bobby's Cinema
27-11-2019, 12:08 PM
In. Take the 3 points. Out. Onto the Next :aok:

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm sure JR has recognized that we need two central defenders and a defensive midfielder, and he will address in January.

Great to see a manager get subs on when we really need them, not seen that in a long time at ER

Why do we need 2 central defenders? We have 4? We might, get 1 better than what we have, really doubt we'd get 2.

All 4 we currently have are on long contracts, why would they go? If we signed 2 we'd have 6 central defenders on long deals. Madness.

easty
27-11-2019, 12:24 PM

We absolutley don't

Brightside
27-11-2019, 12:35 PM

2 central defenders?

LaMotta
27-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Thompson is a very good pundit ( in my opinion)As it Michael Stewart

Agreed.

Andy Walker and Davie Provan are the worst pundits in Scotland:greengrin

J-C
27-11-2019, 12:42 PM
We need better cover at both LB and RB, particularly with some bloody pace and a proper defensive minded midfielder, Hallberg is being wasted sitting deep.

Jones28
27-11-2019, 12:57 PM
From the highlights I felt that conceding the wide areas was particularly exposed last night with leggy players on a heavy pitch.

Great win though, St Mirren played well.

Since452
27-11-2019, 12:59 PM
From the highlights I felt that conceding the wife areas was particularly exposed last night with leggy players on a heavy pitch.

Great win though, St Mirren played well.

You've obviously never seen Shelly Marciano

southern hibby
27-11-2019, 01:40 PM
If that had been a performance last night from either of the bigot twins, they would be saying it’s a sign of a good team who win when not playing well, probably saying that’s the type of games that you need to win too win leagues.

well that’s the type of game when we play crap, we need to win to get to Europe. So for me it was a terrible performance and a GREAT WIN.

GGTTH

Jones28
27-11-2019, 02:59 PM
You've obviously never seen Shelly Marciano

😂😂

Force of habit

mjhibby
27-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Correct. Hallberg is the only defensive minded midfielder we have. Slivka was decent on Saturday against Motherwell but he was weak and passive last night. Newell has been tidy enough in possession both games but like Scott Allan, closing players down isn't his game

St Mirren were therefore able to move the ball about in the midfield without challenge and that heaped pressure on the defence. It wasn't until the last 15 minutes when Boyle, Horgan and Mallan came on that we were able to hold onto possession for a bit, get the ball wide and take some pressure of the defence.

Our problems under Hecky are still there and it links to a failure to recruit defensive midfielders close season. The difference now is that Doidge has found the route to goal, Boyle is back and we now have a Head Coach who has a bit of nous and is managing the game/subs better.

Jack said in an interview that we are very good going forward but not as strong in the defensive side so he said we need to compensate for our lack of centre midfield steel. He's well aware of our lack of balance in the side hence why Mallan and Allan aren't both on the pitch together. I'd be surprised if they aren't looking at the omeonga situation. I doubt he'll go for McGeoch unless one of Horgan or Mallan goes out which I doubt will happen. A Def mid and a striker should see us sorted.

delbert
27-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Jack said in an interview that we are very good going forward but not as strong in the defensive side so he said we need to compensate for our lack of centre midfield steel. He's well aware of our lack of balance in the side hence why Mallan and Allan aren't both on the pitch together. I'd be surprised if they aren't looking at the omeonga situation. I doubt he'll go for McGeoch unless one of Horgan or Mallan goes out which I doubt will happen. A Def mid and a striker should see us sorted.

A half decent centre half wouldn’t go amiss either !

wookie70
27-11-2019, 04:19 PM
I watched the match this morning and it wasn't that dissimilar to our performances under Heckingbottom. St Mirren were the best side for long spells and we could easily have drawn or lost on another night. The first game against the Buddies saw us have 13 shots with 5 on target and last night we had 4 with 2 on target both of which went in. Defensively we gave up 14 shots with 5 on target in the first game and it was similar last night with the Buddies having 13 shots with 3 on target.

The big change since Heck was booted is without a doubt two up front. The other major factor, and it is just as important as the formation change, is that we are getting all the breaks we never previously. Doidge in particular seems to have McCoist like luck at present and all those shots that were flying into our net are now hitting the post or being smashed over. I actually think the ball is getting into our box as much in the last couple of games than previously but we have been fortunate, and defended well.

Saying that 3 wins on the trot is massive and sometimes luck changes due to a little bit more hard work. We Doidged a bullet last night imo but the players should be flying now and thinking you are lucky or will get the breaks is a good thing to have in a team. A win on Saturday and we will be setting our sights on Europe. Saying that I thought we would be there or thereabouts even if we didn't change manager.

jacomo
27-11-2019, 05:45 PM
We need better cover at both LB and RB, particularly with some bloody pace and a proper defensive minded midfielder, Hallberg is being wasted sitting deep.

Another RB??

I suppose we are light in that area tbf.

J-C
28-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Another RB??

I suppose we are light in that area tbf.

Gray's injury problems are well known, James is guff, slow and not what we need and Naismith is bang average and slow as hell, we need some pace at the back it's something we've lacked for a while.

SMAXXA
28-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Gray's injury problems are well known, James is guff, slow and not what we need and Naismith is bang average and slow as hell, we need some pace at the back it's something we've lacked for a while.

I don’t think James is guff and I actually think he’s a decent player. Time will tell I suppose

Peevemor
28-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Gray's injury problems are well known, James is guff, slow and not what we need and Naismith is bang average and slow as hell, we need some pace at the back it's something we've lacked for a while.I like James & Naismith. Opinions eh?

ian cruise
28-11-2019, 05:05 PM
All of our defence look suspect because the formation invites the opposition to attack. We don't have a midfield that is set (or has the natural ability arguably) to get back and defend so Hanlon, Porteous, Naismith and Lewis are being asked to do a tonne of work meaning mistakes are more prevalent. I think given the ask they are doing pretty good. If it's that or a return to Heckingbottom tactics I know what I'd chose.

If we can get the midfield controlling the game better I'd be happier but things are definitely improving.

JimBHibees
28-11-2019, 05:34 PM
I like James & Naismith. Opinions eh?

Personally think Naismith is a decent signing

Since452
28-11-2019, 06:04 PM

I thought James was the pick of Heckys signings. Opinions eh!

J-C
28-11-2019, 09:01 PM
I don’t think James is guff and I actually think he’s a decent player. Time will tell I suppose

I like James & Naismith. Opinions eh?

I thought James was the pick of Heckys signings. Opinions eh!

Guff may be a bit strong for James but he has been culpable for 2-3 goals this season just by being slow to respond, sitting too far off his opponent and playing very lackadaisical, remember this lad played for a Yeovil team relegated to the Conference last season, he's just not very good.

Naismith is ok, he looks painfully slow and did struggle against a pacy winger on saturday, he's ok as cover but as I think Gray might be getting near the end of his career, we need to look for someone far better than just ok to take over.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2019, 10:42 PM
Guff may be a bit strong for James but he has been culpable for 2-3 goals this season just by being slow to respond, sitting too far off his opponent and playing very lackadaisical, remember this lad played for a Yeovil team relegated to the Conference last season, he's just not very good.

Naismith is ok, he looks painfully slow and did struggle against a pacy winger on saturday, he's ok as cover but as I think Gray might be getting near the end of his career, we need to look for someone far better than just ok to take over.

Naismith isn't painfully slow at all, easily quicker than Gray. Losing a footrace to a winger does not make someone painfully slow. Fullbacks are very rarely quicker than wingers.

Brightside
28-11-2019, 10:59 PM

Both are good RBs

tamig
28-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Naismith isn't painfully slow at all, easily quicker than Gray. Losing a footrace to a winger does not make someone painfully slow. Fullbacks are very rarely quicker than wingers.

I think he’s slower than Gray. Naismith is very slow.

Sammy7nil
28-11-2019, 11:10 PM
I think he’s slower than Gray. Naismith is very slow.

I am betting James to be third :greengrin

lord bunberry
28-11-2019, 11:30 PM
If Gray is fit he’s first choice right back, the other two are decent back ups.

bigwheel
29-11-2019, 06:03 AM
If Gray is fit he’s first choice right back, the other two are decent back ups.

I can’t recall when Gray last played 8-10 games in a row..start of last season ?? Will we ever see him playing regularly again ?

GibbytheHibby2
29-11-2019, 06:42 AM
Agreed.

Andy Walker and Davie Provan are the worst pundits in Scotland:greengrin

Spot on.

Golden Bear
29-11-2019, 08:03 AM

:agree:

He was absolutely excellent in the recent away game v St Johnstone. Admittedly he's not the quickest but his physique is a big plus factor for both defending and as an attacking force at set pieces.

worcesterhibby
29-11-2019, 08:35 AM

Naismith's crossing seems to be the best of all our RB's and he can't be that slow if he is getting in the right positions to cross as often as he is. For me, he is no nonsense and can cross...maybe not the quickest..but have you any idea how much a tough tackling RB who is pacey and crosses the ball beautifully costs these days ? If we have a limited amount of money then we should use it to get one player...a defensive midfielder who is a leader and can pass.