PDA

View Full Version : The squad

lord bunberry
26-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Much was made of the weaknesses in our squad under heckingbottom, I never thought it was anywhere near as bad as some were saying, but there was a definite need to improve things.
We've now had three wins in the bounce since heckingbottom left, so what are everyone’s feelings about the squad now? I think that the squad looks pretty good since Hallberg has come in and we’ve went with two up front. Suddenly the January window for me has taken less significance.

Hibeewilly
26-11-2019, 09:15 PM
The defence needs looked at in January for sure. Far too many crosses being allowed to come in again tonight and Hanlon is struggling

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

SMAXXA
26-11-2019, 09:17 PM
I think shaw will go out in jan and another striker will come in, squad isn’t far away when everyone is fit imo

Topographic Hibby
26-11-2019, 09:20 PM
Much was made of the weaknesses in our squad under heckingbottom, I never thought it was anywhere near as bad as some were saying, but there was a definite need to improve things.
We've now had three wins in the bounce since heckingbottom left, so what are everyone’s feelings about the squad now? I think that the squad looks pretty good since Hallberg has come in and we’ve went with two up front. Suddenly the January window for me has taken less significance.I don't know enough about players to say what the squad needs, but I am really looking forward to seeing what JR can get out of this current squad against Celtic, The Rangers and our maroon neighbours.

Onceinawhile
26-11-2019, 09:20 PM
Can't keep a clean sheet, so we need some form of defensive recruitment.

mayo hibee
26-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Still too many attacking midfielders and we're short on the defensive side. A good centre back and a DM in January would get us a long way. Quality needed rather than quantity.

jacomo
26-11-2019, 09:21 PM
We've now had three wins in the bounce since heckingbottom left, so what are everyone’s feelings about the squad now? I think that the squad looks pretty good since Hallberg has come in and we’ve went with two up front. Suddenly the January window for me has taken less significance.

Efe Dylan Leigh.

Keep repeating and it WILL come true.

Smartie
26-11-2019, 09:25 PM
We’ve found a formation that suits our players and has been good enough to beat poor opposition. I know Motherwell aren’t that poor but they’d have pumped us on Saturday if they’d been more clinical in promising situations.

I still think we lack a bit of depth (even though we’ve had very strong performances off the bench in our last 2 games) and I’d love to have a midfielder who was stronger defensively.

It will be interesting to see if we pick up any results with the current squad against Aberdeen or Hearts, and that’s before you start thinking about Celtic or Rangers.

The last 3 games have unquestionably been good though so it doesn’t feel right to be being cautious or negative when the players deserve nothing but praise.

Unseen work
26-11-2019, 09:27 PM
I don’t think we’re too far off, my issue is we have a lot of players that are decent enough and good options but not starters for me.

I think we really need to strengthen the midfield come January with some defensive minded players or guys full of energy and can dominate the opposition.

Im thinking ahead to Saturday and I think Dicker and Power will dominate our midfield if we play the same team again, however I expect Ross will make changes of personnel/formation.

I would like to see us bring in a centre half, left back, centre mid and a winger.

Jason Kerr or Jack Hendry
Nathan Ralph
Alan Campbell, Greg Docherty, Mulumbu, Power etc
Lewis Morgan

If we can bring in quality in those positions I think we will be looking a lot stronger and have better balance.

For example.

..........................Bogdan.............

...........Hendry....Porteous....Hanlon...

Naismith....Campbell......Hallberg........Ralph..

.............................Allan.....

.....................Kamberi.....Doidge....

FWIW I have faith in the board and Ross highlighting the areas that need strengthened and bringing in quality.

HoboHarry
26-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Efe Dylan Leigh.

Really? Ok I'm going to try that.....

Diane Lane is going to spend the night at my house on Saturday....

Diane Lane is going to spend the night at my house on Saturday.....

Am I doing this right?

Speedy
26-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Efe Dylan Leigh.

Efe not top of my list but if we got those 3 I certainly wouldn't complain.

Agree those are the positions we need.

AZhibee
26-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Efe Dylan Leigh.

Repeating repeatedly

hfc rd
26-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Personally think we are a CB, DM & CF away from having a very good team.

Will be interesting to see what business we do in January

B.H.F.C
26-11-2019, 09:30 PM
Still need a midfielder for that deeper position. Thought we were poor in that area tonight.

hibee-boys
26-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Time to sign left sided players that can challenge Hanlon/Stevenson.

Cat Stanton
26-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Don't underestimate how seriously honking - especially defensively - we were tonight. A decent team would have put four or five past us. Luckily St. Mirren aren't a decent team, and don't seem to have much in the way of strikers.

Full-back positions are a particular worry right now.

ahibby
26-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Personally think we are a CB, DM & CF away from having a very good team.

Will be interesting to see what business we do in January

I agree with you

hibbysam
26-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Don't underestimate how seriously honking - especially defensively - we were tonight. A decent team would have put four or five past us. Luckily St. Mirren aren't a decent team, and don't seem to have much in the way of strikers.

Haven’t seen the game tonight, but was it the full backs in particular, or was it like the weekend where we had absolutely no width so we were being run at 2 on 1 every time? I would imagine we would be more solid with 2 wide players, but it’s trying to find a formation that allows that, 2 up front, and still the formation in the middle, 3-5-2 most likely.

1van Sprou7e
26-11-2019, 09:40 PM
We’ve found a formation that suits our players and has been good enough to beat poor opposition. I know Motherwell aren’t that poor but they’d have pumped us on Saturday if they’d been more clinical in promising situations.

I still think we lack a bit of depth (even though we’ve had very strong performances off the bench in our last 2 games) and I’d love to have a midfielder who was stronger defensively.

It will be interesting to see if we pick up any results with the current squad against Aberdeen or Hearts, and that’s before you start thinking about Celtic or Rangers.

The last 3 games have unquestionably been good though so it doesn’t feel right to be being cautious or negative when the players deserve nothing but praise.

If Motherwell took their chances they would have gotten a draw or a 1 goal win. If both teams took their chances we would have pumped them

Gmack7
26-11-2019, 09:46 PM
we have a pretty good squad but must retain possession better. we cant seem to keep the ball to ease any pressure

The Modfather
26-11-2019, 09:52 PM
The priorities for me are a centre mid with real energy and drive, to compliment Hallberg & Allan & a left winger. Then I think we could look at upgrading a couple of positions. Namely a new partner for Porteous, a left back and a right back (which might end up being Naismith). Although all depends on what Ross’ preferred formation will be.

I’d look to move on Horgan, Vela, Whittaker, Jackson & James. Maybe a little harsh on the latter three Then either move on or have them as squad players, McGregor, Gray, Shaw, Murray & Slivka.

My spine of the team to build around would be Bogdan/Marciano, Porteous, Hallberg, Allan, Boyle, Kamberi & possibly Doidge if he keeps up this form and forges a good partnership with Kamberi.

number9dream
26-11-2019, 09:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how JR approaches the Killie game. They play with two wingers and the two killers in the middle of the park, so our full-backs will be under pressure again and the midfield will need to be prepared for a scrap. If Kamberi isn’t fit, Boyle might be the answer but I wouldn’t want to see Doidge isolated up top.

tamig
26-11-2019, 09:54 PM
I don’t think we’re too far off, my issue is we have a lot of players that are decent enough and good options but not starters for me.

I think we really need to strengthen the midfield come January with some defensive minded players or guys full of energy and can dominate the opposition.

Im thinking ahead to Saturday and I think Dicker and Power will dominate our midfield if we play the same team again, however I expect Ross will make changes of personnel/formation.

I would like to see us bring in a centre half, left back, centre mid and a winger.

Nathan Ralph
Lewis Morgan

If we can bring in quality in those positions I think we will be looking a lot stronger and have better balance.

For example.

FWIW I have faith in the board and Ross highlighting the areas that need strengthened and bringing in quality.
Jack Hendry? Seriously? I think the boy’s awful.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2019, 09:56 PM
I still think we need two or three players to come in to be first team picks.

No clean sheets in the league in 13 matches tells its own story with regards to our defensive frailties.

Unseen work
26-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Jack Hendry? Seriously? I think the boy’s awful.

Imo he’s a good player who has lost his way.

I think he’s the sort of player that would thrive here and the fans would take to as he is very composed and confident on the ball. He’s also a big lad who wins a lot in the air and is quick across the ground.

My only issue would be him and Porteous both being quite young and not having an older, more experienced head to keep them right.

oldbutdim
26-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Were you at the game or is this the opinion of commentators?

supermcginn
26-11-2019, 10:04 PM
Time to sign left sided players that can challenge Hanlon/Stevenson.

Couldn't agree more, time for change.

Cat Stanton
26-11-2019, 10:07 PM

I was at it. Great result but very hard to watch.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Favourites for relegation some said :faf:

oldbutdim
26-11-2019, 10:17 PM
I was at it. Great result but very hard to watch.

I was there too, but although we weren't brilliant I thought we were decent. Slivka should have scored, Boyler should have left Doidge with a tap in............
I didn't think St Midden deserved anything really, and I would have been surprised to see us lose 5 goals to any SPL side playing like we did.

We're still a distance away from early Lennon form but I'm not as despondent as you seem to be. Quite enjoyed the three points!

I don't get out much.

The Modfather
26-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Favourites for relegation some said :faf:

We looked to be in the mix of teams that could end up in a relegation battle under Heckingnottom. He’s no longer here and the new man looks to be able to get a lot more out of the players now. Not sure what you find quite so funny.

26-11-2019, 10:27 PM

I was at the game tonight and thought we stole the points but given that we have had them stolen from us so often already this season I am certainly not complaining about the result.
The back four were under a huge amount of pressure tonight but as many others have already said it is because there is no protection coming from our own midfield. Underfoot conditions were horrible tonight but even allowing for that players like Hallberg, Slivka and Newell don’t seem to have the strength or ability to win tough tackles cleanly and so the ball continually makes its way through to the back four or the three of them foul the opposition in trying to tackle and the back four is then under pressure from set pieces. Tackling hard and cleanly is a very different skill set and at the moment our team is devoid of those skills in the midfield. Bring on the January window.

ian cruise
26-11-2019, 10:29 PM

I was there too and totally agree. St Mirren should have got at lest two more but their finishing was woeful and it was all because we just let them run down the wings. I know the diamond leaves us a bit more exposed but their number 2 had no one near him until last third after Newell was subbed and Lewis struggled to match him for pace as he was already at full pelt once Lewis was starting to run. Naismith looked to be having a similar day. I know Porteous and Hanlon got a, bit of stick but they were doing the work of 4 defenders, no wonder they made mistakes from time to time. I actually think it's down to them we stayed in it.

B.H.F.C
26-11-2019, 10:29 PM

Full back positions, particularly left back, is a worry. But if you set up with a diamond you’re leaving them exposed.

Midfield was a bigger issue for me tonight. Nobody put their foot on the ball to calm it down and we didn’t win it back enough. We are in major need off a defensive midfielder whether it’s a Bartley type or a McGeough type.

basehibby
26-11-2019, 10:31 PM

We're still paper thin in terms of midfielders who can protect our area - Halberg has made a difference there (even if he's more box to box in style) but if he gets injured then it's a free for all in terms of shots and runs at our defence once again just like the start of the season. McGeough would be a good addition if he becomes available in Jan.

Hiber-nation
26-11-2019, 10:35 PM
Dylan in midfield please. The midfield tonight just couldn't keep the ball. Plus a left sided centre back...

18Craig75
26-11-2019, 10:39 PM
I think Dylan and Omeonga could really complement Hallberg in that midfield 3.

I_Love_Latapy
26-11-2019, 10:52 PM
we have a pretty good squad but must retain possession better. we cant seem to keep the ball to ease any pressure

This

I_Love_Latapy
26-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Full back positions, particularly left back, is a worry. But if you set up with a diamond you’re leaving them exposed.

Midfield was a bigger issue for me tonight. Nobody put their foot on the ball to calm it down and we didn’t win it back enough. We are in major need off a defensive midfielder whether it’s a Bartley type or a McGeough type.

Bartley was always more of a ‘break up play’ than a ‘foot on ball’ man. Can’t remember Dylan’s tackling being all that great. Another SJM would be nice.
I have a hope that Vela will come good & replace Slivka - hope this is not forlorn.

S4uzee
26-11-2019, 10:58 PM

Nathan Ralph
Lewis Morgan

For example.

Glad you’re not part of the recruitment team

hfc rd
26-11-2019, 11:03 PM

Nathan Ralph
Lewis Morgan

For example.

Nathan Ralph? 😐

CMurdoch
26-11-2019, 11:24 PM
Tonight was a tough watch. Entertainment it was not.
Thank God for skelly St Mirren strikers.

The defence were under the cosh most of the game. I thought they did okay.
We still need to add power and strength to the midfield to help stem the attacking flow from the opposition and to provide a platform for our own ball players.
That Kan te laddie at Chelsea would fit the bill.

Unseen work
26-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Glad you’re not part of the recruitment team

Out of the players mentioned I understand some having doubts over Ralph and Kerr, the rest would improve us massively.

Ralph got Dundee player of the year up here and was linked with Hull and Barnsley. Quick, comfortable on the ball and is good going forward.

Kerr is only 22 and has bags of potential imo and iis already a good player.

But yeah you’re right I’d never be able to pick out some of the finds we have this year.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2019, 11:42 PM
We looked to be in the mix of teams that could end up in a relegation battle under Heckingnottom. He’s no longer here and the new man looks to be able to get a lot more out of the players now. Not sure what you find quite so funny.

In my opinion it was a ridiculous suggestion, we've nowhere near the worst squad.

lord bunberry
27-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Tonight was a tough watch. Entertainment it was not.
Thank God for skelly St Mirren strikers.

The defence were under the cosh most of the game. I thought they did okay.
We still need to add power and strength to the midfield to help stem the attacking flow from the opposition and to provide a platform for our own ball players.
That Kan te laddie at Chelsea would fit the bill.
It was tough, but we got the job done. There’s loads of ways to win a football game, st Johnstone we dominated and won easily, Motherwell we started slowly, but eventually came onto a game and won. Tonight we contested a tight game that was settled by the team with the most quality.

Wilson
27-11-2019, 05:40 PM
In my opinion it was a ridiculous suggestion, we've nowhere near the worst squad.

That is beside the point. We didn't have a worse squad than some of our competitors when we went down last time. Certainly we weren't a worse squad than the Hamilton side that beat us over two legs. We were playing badly enough then and our results were bad enough up until Hecky left this time.

Every time we get relegated or close enough to it we get people saying it can't happen or wont happen but it happens or we at least get a scare - like in the Airdrie playoffs.

I'm just glad we changed the manager.