PDA

View Full Version : Craig Brewster

stevebone
25-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Good evening Hibbies, hope everyone is well up there. You may remember me from Tommy Block stories when he signed for your boys last season. Hope he is getting on ok at Queens Park.
Anyhow, one of my colleagues down here in leafy Sussex has done a piece on an ex Hibs player today - Craig Brewster - and I thought it may be of passing interest to one or two ... https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/sport/football/former-hibs-player-and-crawley-town-manager-appointed-director-of-football-at-horsham-1-9153343

brog
25-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Good evening Hibbies, hope everyone is well up there. You may remember me from Tommy Block stories when he signed for your boys last season. Hope he is getting on ok at Queens Park.
Anyhow, one of my colleagues down here in leafy Sussex has done a piece on an ex Hibs player today - Craig Brewster - and I thought it may be of passing interest to one or two ... https://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/sport/football/former-hibs-player-and-crawley-town-manager-appointed-director-of-football-at-horsham-1-9153343

Nice one. Craig was at London Hibs Burns night last January & represented London Hibs in a charity golf match last June. He's a grand lad & I'm sure he'll do well at Horsham. He looks like he could still play!

The 90+2
25-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Nice one. Craig was at London Hibs Burns night last January & represented London Hibs in a charity golf match last June. He's a grand lad & I'm sure he'll do well at Horsham. He looks like he could still play!

He never wanted to leave the club, offered him half of the deal he was on to stay while Dunfermline offered more than the original deal.

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 08:48 PM
The guy was quality in his time at HIBS came back from Greek football a much improved player

CloudSquall
25-11-2019, 08:52 PM
It was never easy to watch how decent him and Crawford were together at Dunfermline.

The 90+2
25-11-2019, 09:06 PM
It was never easy to watch how decent him and Crawford were together at Dunfermline.

They ripped us apart constantly.

jacomo
25-11-2019, 09:09 PM

:agree:

Baader
26-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Brewster didn't score 296 goals in his career!

surreyhibbie
26-11-2019, 11:47 AM
co-incidence!

friend of mine has recently started working behind the bar at Horsham FC - will pass on our best wishes!

:greengrin

Blurhibee
26-11-2019, 11:50 AM
The guy was quality in his time at HIBS came back from Greek football a much improved player
Can you tell me how many goals he scored when at us?

The 90+2
26-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Not many but he helped massively in the development of OvOnnor in his first season in the first team.

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Five

It was his all round general intelligent play and the chances he created for others an auld heid bringing through the youngsters he also seemed to have time on the ball killing it instantly bringing others into play

If you read the article he played 700 games as a pro scoring 296 including the winner in a Scottish Cup Final

He was almost 35 when he joined us for a season

I take it you are not a fan?

Baader
26-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Never remember Brewster being that prolific a goalscorer. His wiki page states 296 goals in 700 games. But the goals add up to 196. Something wrong somewhere!

Iggy Pope
26-11-2019, 03:15 PM
Never remember Brewster being that prolific a goalscorer. His wiki page states 296 goals in 700 games. But the goals add up to 196. Something wrong somewhere!

I remember him starting the De La Cruz derby brilliantly but the bench having to drag him off before he got a red. I also recall him helping dish out a 5 goal thrashing to Dunfermline the weekend we all got back from the Athens debacle after 9/11.
After that he broke his wrist as I recall. He was sitting in the stand behind me as we clung on to hold Stranraer to an away draw in the cup. That was January or February by that time. I’m not sure he had anything more than a half dozen good games for Hibs, we sorted his wrist and then he knocked **** out us for a couple of seasons. I think he was 40 when he scored against us for Aberdeen?

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 03:17 PM

:confused:

Yeah checked Wiki against the article but you are correct if you look at the individual totals seems to be about 100 goals light

Still a good player though :greengrin

Smartie
26-11-2019, 04:06 PM
I remember being in his company on a night out in Dundee whilst he was at Hibs.

He was a good lad but he was being cagey about signing a new contract as clearly Hibs had started to play silly buggers.

Brewster is essentially United’s version of David Gray, the man who scored the goal to win them their first Scottish Cup so it would be fair to say he attracted a fair amount of attention. Males and females alike ******g adored him, it was quite a sight to behold.

Iggy Pope
26-11-2019, 04:15 PM
I remember being in his company on a night out in Dundee whilst he was at Hibs.

He was a good lad but he was being cagey about signing a new contract as clearly Hibs had started to play silly buggers.

Brewster is essentially United’s version of David Gray, the man who scored the goal to win them their first Scottish Cup so it would be fair to say he attracted a fair amount of attention. Males and females alike ******g adored him, it was quite a sight to behold.

Steady....

Smartie
26-11-2019, 04:28 PM
Steady....

I know what you mean.

David Gray busted our hoodoo, but I realise we’d won it before.

IIRC United had never won the cup? That’s why they hold him in such high regard.

Iggy Pope
26-11-2019, 04:32 PM
I know what you mean.

IIRC United had never won the cup? That’s why they hold him in such high regard.

And well they might.

JeMeSouviens
26-11-2019, 04:34 PM
I know what you mean.

Correct. Plus he's from Dundee and a United fan as a kid. My mate played in the same primary school team.

When he played for us I thought he was a good influence on Tam McManus as well. Curbed his headless chicken tendencies.

Smartie
26-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Correct. Plus he's from Dundee and a United fan as a kid. My mate played in the same primary school team.

When he played for us I thought he was a good influence on Tam McManus as well. Curbed his headless chicken tendencies.

Brewster’s minion?

JeMeSouviens
26-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Brewster’s minion?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/4c/33/664c339a5e1ab67e50b64d63e66adfdb.jpg

Iggy Pope
26-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Tam was bowf but played 4 times as many games as Brewster did for Hibs, scoring a lot more goals. Dundee United were obviously a good fit for him. (And Dunfermline and also Aberdeen where he scored the same goals in a fraction of the appearances).
Pretty forgettable as A Hibs player.

JeMeSouviens
26-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Tam was bowf but played 4 times as many games as Brewster did for Hibs, scoring a lot more goals. Dundee United were obviously a good fit for him. (And Dunfermline and also Aberdeen where he scored the same goals in a fraction of the appearances).

True, but I thought his best spells were playing with "old heads", Mixu and Brewster.

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 04:49 PM

To be fair. He was just getting up to match speed when he took a bad injury and was out for a big chunk of the season ..it was clear when he returned he was looking much sharper . Was poor judgement by Williamson to not give him a new deal ..the following seasons he went on to scores Loads and rarely missed a match ...

JimBHibees
26-11-2019, 04:50 PM

:not worth

Iggy Pope
26-11-2019, 04:52 PM
To be fair. He was just getting up to match speed when he took a bad injury and was out for a big chunk of the season ..it was clear when he returned he was looking much sharper . Was poor judgement by Williamson to not give him a new deal ..the following seasons he went on to scores Loads and rarely missed a match ...

Do you remember much about his injury at the time? Not doubting his ability.

Smartie
26-11-2019, 04:56 PM

:top marks

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Do you remember much about his injury at the time? Not doubting his ability.

I don’t tbh...I just recall him being quite unlucky not to score a few - posts and bars hit at the start of that season..then losing him as he started to shape up well . Then I recall him coming back after a long lay off and thinking how good he looked as he started to notch some goals....only to then not get a deal for the next season

Cataplana
26-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Could he still do a job for us?

Iggy Pope
26-11-2019, 05:00 PM
I don’t tbh...I just recall him being quite unlucky not to score a few - posts and bars hit at the start of that season..then losing him as he started to shape up well . Then I recall him coming back after a long lay off and thinking how good he looked as he started to notch some goals....only to then not get a deal for the next season

He had a wrist injury and was out for months with it. That’s how I remember it. I offered to sign his sling.

Frankhfc
26-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Horsham has decent club colours :greengrin

Brewster was a very decent player back in the day and wish him well down there in leafy Sussex :aok:

FilipinoHibs
27-11-2019, 09:07 AM
For Dunfermline, he scored 20 goals over three seasons about 1 every 5 games. Not that far off that ratio in his one season for Hibs.

Since452
27-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Did he not leave us for Dunfermline for more wonga? Strange days

bigwheel
27-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Did he not leave us for Dunfermline for more wonga? Strange days

We didn’t offer him a contract

Peevemor
27-11-2019, 09:46 AM

My understanding is that we were prepared to offer him a one year contract (he was getting on a bit and had a recurring shoulder problem that had seen him miss a good few games for us). Dunfermline offered him a 2 year deal and for more money which Hibs weren't prepared to match.

Dunfermline nearly went down the tubes a couple of years later.

Speedway
27-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Thank you for that Steve.

I was surprised that CB didn't get a Scotland call up in his career. He certainly scored a lot more goals than some of the wasters who can boast international caps.

bigwheel
27-11-2019, 11:07 AM
My understanding is that we were prepared to offer him a one year contract (he was getting on a bit and had a recurring shoulder problem that had seen him miss a good few games for us). Dunfermline offered him a 2 year deal and for more money which Hibs weren't prepared to match.

Dunfermline nearly went down the tubes a couple of years later.

Not quite ...we advised him we were not going to offer him anything ..and he was delighted to get a two year deal from Dunfermline ...

Barman Stanton
27-11-2019, 11:15 AM
:confused:

Yeah checked Wiki against the article but you are correct if you look at the individual totals seems to be about 100 goals light

Still a good player though :greengrin

Wiki just lists league goals. I assume the tally listed on the article is all comps.

BILLYHIBS
27-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Wiki just lists league goals. I assume the tally listed on the article is all comps.

Yeah thought about that but 100 shortfall still sounds an awfully lot of goals Wiki have him scoring three for us but he scored another two in the League Cup

jacomo
27-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Not quite ...we advised him we were not going to offer him anything ..and he was delighted to get a two year deal from Dunfermline ...

From memory, a lot of fans considered Brewster decent enough ‘but not good enough for where we want to go.’ I myself was probably thinking he was finished - but he obviously wasn’t.

Since452
27-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Cracking player and definitely brought on the likes of O'Connor

Peevemor
27-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Fair enough. My mate worked beside and was good pals with Craig Brewster's girlfriend at the time (Standard Life, Tanfield) which is where my info came from. There could well have been some Chinese whispers along the way.

For what it's worth I was dissappointed when he left. I thought he had at least one good season left in him.

brog
27-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Craig told me in January we offered him 1 year but Pars offered 2. As he was 35 at the time he went to Pars.

bigwheel
27-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Craig told me in January we offered him 1 year but Pars offered 2. As he was 35 at the time he went to Pars.

From the time:

http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/285/50672-1.jpg

The latest departure from Easter Road

It has been reported that veteran hitman Craig Brewster has agreed to sign for SPL rivals Dunfermline.

The 35 year old former Ionikos striker will sign a two year deal with the Fife club after it became clear he was not getting a new deal at Easter Road, spending just one year at Easter Road.

Brewster said the in Daily Record: "I had a very good year at Hibs and enjoyed myself but they made it clear they could not offer me anything. When you come out of contract it can be a worrying time but I am delighted to be going to Dunfermline, especially as the deal is two years."

brog
27-11-2019, 01:59 PM
From the time:

http://pictures.footymad.net/upload/285/50672-1.jpg

The latest departure from Easter Road

It has been reported that veteran hitman Craig Brewster has agreed to sign for SPL rivals Dunfermline.

The 35 year old former Ionikos striker will sign a two year deal with the Fife club after it became clear he was not getting a new deal at Easter Road, spending just one year at Easter Road.

Brewster said the in Daily Record: "I had a very good year at Hibs and enjoyed myself but they made it clear they could not offer me anything. When you come out of contract it can be a worrying time but I am delighted to be going to Dunfermline, especially as the deal is two years."

Absolutely no offence intended but I'd rather believe what Craig said to me than a quote from the DR. Having seen a close relative misquoted in the past in the papers, its perfectly possible some words were left out, e.g. 'beyond 1 year' after 'anything' above.

bigwheel
27-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Absolutely no offence intended but I'd rather believe what Craig said to me than a quote from the DR. Having seen a close relative misquoted in the past in the papers, its perfectly possible some words were left out, e.g. 'beyond 1 year' after 'anything' above.

Fair enough. Wasn’t the only quote from the time
..also heard Williamson speak about it after the event. Anyway. Simply an interesting small
Piece of history, so no problem with what your views are..I’m pretty comfortable with my memories from the time too [emoji106]

The 90+2
27-11-2019, 02:04 PM

We definitely offered him a deal, Dunfermline offered double and double the length of deal. He wanted to stay but we had no money. Didn’t we replace him with Mixu who was running around the QP?

The 90+2
27-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Likewise. He wanted to stay.

FilipinoHibs
28-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Nice guy. Met him at Craiglockart Tennis centre when I was coaching there. Was a useful tennis player. All the young women tennis coaches swooned over him. The Hibs George Clooney

stevebone
28-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all your replies and interest - we will let you know of any other news re Craig.