PDA

View Full Version : Sjm

Fuzzywuzzy
25-11-2019, 07:04 PM
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/mourinho-will-rival-man-utd-for-50m-signature-of-villa-star-pundit

You've got to think he has worked hard and earned everything he has coming his way. Great player with a great work ethic👏👏

There is also that added bonus of the sell on coming our way as well😂

Weegreenman
25-11-2019, 07:06 PM
Celtic must be kicking themselves 😆😂😂😂

Captain Trips
25-11-2019, 07:14 PM
The real pity for me in all of this is how we hang onto the sell on clause when if the clubs up here had that bit more financial backing to have turned down the offers for SJM until we got offered the real money he was truly worth. How did Hearts end up getting £9m for Gordon? did they knock back lower bids? Just as I thought that was good business as he was worth IMO every penny of that £9m. 10 years on and we get £2-3m for SJM. It just bugs me.

25-11-2019, 07:18 PM
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/mourinho-will-rival-man-utd-for-50m-signature-of-villa-star-pundit

You've got to think he has worked hard and earned everything he has coming his way. Great player with a great work ethic👏👏

There is also that added bonus of the sell on coming our way as well😂

A bidding war would be nice.

Northernhibee
25-11-2019, 07:18 PM
Tbf that’s just someone saying that he’d fit in at Spurs with no idea if Mourinho actually wants him.

Marvellous
25-11-2019, 07:19 PM
The real pity for me in all of this is how we hang onto the sell on clause when if the clubs up here had that bit more financial backing to have turned down the offers for SJM until we got offered the real money he was truly worth. How did Hearts end up getting £9m for Gordon? did they knock back lower bids? Just as I thought that was good business as he was worth IMO every penny of that £9m. 10 years on and we get £2-3m for SJM. It just bugs me.

He had a year left of his contract, we didn't have much bargaining power.

wookie70
25-11-2019, 07:24 PM
I get the feeling he will stay at Villa for another year at least. He is a young man with a plan and he will want to make the step to the bigger club having outgrown Villa and learnt all he can. That will make us wait a bit longer for our cut but it will be well worth it

jacomo
25-11-2019, 07:47 PM
I get the feeling he will stay at Villa for another year at least. He is a young man with a plan and he will want to make the step to the bigger club having outgrown Villa and learnt all he can. That will make us wait a bit longer for our cut but it will be well worth it

Doubt he will leave in January but come the end of the season it will depend what division Villa are in. If they get relegated will SJM really stay?

calumhibee1
25-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Doubt he will leave in January but come the end of the season it will depend what division Villa are in. If they get relegated will SJM really stay?

If they went down he’d 100% be off. He’d be the best player in the English Championship by a country mile. If they stay up I could see him giving them one more season and then going to Liverpool.

DetroitHibs
He’ll end up the highest paid Scotland player of all time.

calumhibee1
He’ll end up the highest paid Scotland player of all time.

I wouldn’t be that surprised if he already is.

Edit: maybe Robertson or Tierney actually.

Since452
25-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Wouldn't get in their team...

Carheenlea
25-11-2019, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't get in their team...

Would he have improved and progressed as a player to the standard he’s set for himself if he had moved to Celtic?
I’m not saying he wouldn’t get into their team but his progress might have slowed up a little.
Who knows - the important thing is that he didn’t go there and maybe other talented young Scots will look at John McGinn and take inspiration from his career decisions and follow a similar path.

hibby rae
25-11-2019, 08:21 PM
When he makes the step up from Villa, where would folk like him to go/where would be the best move for him?

Obviously Man U is mentioned but I think I saw something about Liverpool at some point too

danhibees1875
25-11-2019, 08:24 PM
When he makes the step up from Villa, where would folk like him to go/where would be the best move for him?

Obviously Man U is mentioned but I think I saw something about Liverpool at some point too

Hibs? :greengrin

Liverpool sounds a good shout otherwise.

calumhibee1
25-11-2019, 08:38 PM

He’d thrive with the way Liverpool play imo.

HibbySpurs
25-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Spurs 🙏🙏

Frankhfc
25-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Just finished watching Aston Villa v Newcastle. Grealish was superb throughout and deserved motm. Super John played well, worked hard and nearly scored a beauty right at the death. Villa won 2-0 quite easily to be honest.

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2019, 09:02 PM
He was away on a free if we didn't sell

Captain Trips
25-11-2019, 09:08 PM
He was away on a free if we didn't sell

I am aware of that so lets say he had 2 years left do you think we would have got much more?

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 09:09 PM
The one thing about SJM is even although he knew he was off and wouldn’t be here he still gave 100% for the cause and was totally committed to Hibernian FC up until his very last kick of the ball as a HIBS player

A true professional a really nice guy and totally deserves all the plaudits and success that comes his way both internationally and domestically

Captain Trips
25-11-2019, 09:15 PM
The one thing about SJM is even although he knew he was off and wouldn’t be here he still gave 100% for the cause and was totally committed to Hibernian FC up until his very last kick of the ball as a HIBS player

A true professional a really nice guy and totally deserves all the plaudits and success that comes his way both internationally and domestically

Indeed like a few other players in our time whom have made it quite clear they wanted to play for either Rangers/Celtic and didn't really give a toss about how they did it what a breathe of fresh air the SJM transfer was. I do believe he would have wanted to play for Celtic but didnt make a mess of it. Respect.

HendoDelivered
25-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Liverpool don’t really need him atm but he would thrive under Klopp IMO.

hibbysam
25-11-2019, 09:46 PM

If I remember correctly Hearts had a **** tonne of money and gave Gordon a huge contract knowing they were selling soon after. This meant clubs had to pay way higher for him.

The Modfather
25-11-2019, 10:21 PM
He really is a unique player, just have to look at the career trajectories of him and McGeough, who were arguably playing at the same level in their respective roles in the 17/18 season. He’s got the hunger a drive to keep improving that very few talented players have IMO.

jgl07
25-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Serves the *******s right for trying to bully Hibs.

Deserve all they get!

MagicSwirlingShip
25-11-2019, 11:04 PM

We all knew SJM's talent.

But in reality he was largely unproven at any level higher than the SPL, and was running out of contract. Gordon had played several campaigns in Europe for Hearts, was Scotland's number 1, and as mentioned above, was on a huge contract. Over 10k a week at least.

It's not even comparable when you look at the details.

stu in nottingham
25-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Like many no doubt, I felt that when John was at Hibs he was destined to play for one of the elite clubs in the English Premier League and I still believe that. One possibility that few mention though is of him playing for a top European club. He's a got a great attitude to the game and is very mature in his attitude. I think with those qualities he would be a fantastic success in Europe.

It's going to continue to be a great sense of pride that Hibs supporters will view how 'our' John's career progresses from strength to strength.

Unseen work
25-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Delighted to see him doing so well, he was brilliant for us but has taken it to the next level of late and it’s fantastic to see.

Exciting times for us when he does eventually get sold as you imagine it will be for big bucks, even if say we had a 10% sell on clause and he went for 30 million, that would help us massively again.

The issue with another team buying him is Villa are in a very strong financial position, will a team want to pay a ridiculous fee for John McGinn? I appreciate he’s doing brilliant however will a top team want to spend 50m+ on him? I’m just thinking how the fans to these teams would react as for whatever reason they seem to prefer foreign players\bigger names despite the fact he would be a very good fit at one of the top teams.

Signing him shows the ambition we need to have, yes we were a bit fortunate in how we got him with him being speared by Thompson. But paying a relatively small-medium fee for an upcoming Scottish player with the view to selling him on for more is what we should be doing.

Porteous and Kamberi are our only sellable asset at the moment imo who would likely get us over 1 million.

Aberdeen have done it well with Cosgrove and Ferguson

DetroitHibs
26-11-2019, 01:54 AM
The big teams all know John’s abilities, he’ll have his pick. Teams like Juventus will know about him too, there’s very few midfielders in the EPL better than him.

TimeForHeroes16
26-11-2019, 02:18 AM
We all knew SJM's talent.

But in reality he was largely unproven at any level higher than the SPL, and was running out of contract. Gordon had played several campaigns in Europe for Hearts, was Scotland's number 1, and as mentioned above, was on a huge contract. Over 10k a week at least.

It's not even comparable when you look at the details.

Mcginn had 2 out of 3 Scottish honours and a good European spell?

Agree with the length of contract and wage etc but nothing to say his potential and achievements didn't meet Gordon's.

Stonewall
26-11-2019, 02:46 AM

It doesn’t matter how long you wait if there’s effectively no market though. Which is what Celtic were banking on with SJM. They just got unlucky that Villa came in for him and that may only have been because of their financial situation.

They think we’re in a pub league, even the charlatans down south who pretend to be able to judge a player. Their judgements are clouded and their minds closed.

Forza Fred
26-11-2019, 02:52 AM
It doesn’t matter how long you wait if there’s effectively no market though. Which is what Celtic were banking on with SJM. They just got unlucky that Villa came in for him and that may only have been because of their financial situation.

They think we’re in a pub league, even the charlatans down south who pretend to be able to judge a player. Their judgements are clouded and their minds closed.

Spot on.

Outside of Scotland, the SPFL does not rate highly.

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 04:28 AM
Spot on.

Outside of Scotland, the SPFL does not rate highly.

Aye but many have come thinking it is a piece y pish and many have failed

Hibbyradge
26-11-2019, 05:37 AM
I am aware of that so lets say he had 2 years left do you think we would have got much more?

Only Celtic were interested in buying him until Villa came in at the end. They initially offered less than £2m.

Craig Gordon had just signed a big lucrative new contract at Romanov's Hearts. How the crook funded that is anyone's guess, but we were never in the position to get even halfway to what SJM was being offered.

I can't see how we could have got more for him, but the sell on clause is a brilliant piece of business.

danhibees1875
26-11-2019, 06:26 AM
I don't know what Hibs did or didn't try to do throughout SJM's time at Hibs or even what they would have been financially able to do. But contract wise, it looks like we let an opportunity slip.

John signed a 4 year contract in 2015 and 3 years later was sold, in part because with 1 year left his value would have diminished greatly over the next year. I don't think Hibs are in a position where we would stop players leaving to bigger things regardless of what contract they have, but a longer deal would have been an extra thing in our favour for the negotiations.

Compare that to Villa who signed John on a 4 year deal, and a year later got him on a new 5 year deal once they seen he was likely destined for bigger things still.

Given the number of players who end up being pants, I can see why we don't do this as a formality though. It's also all in hindsight and I don't personally remember being too concerned in 2016 that John only had 3 years left on his deal. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Indeed like a few other players in our time whom have made it quite clear they wanted to play for either Rangers/Celtic and didn't really give a toss about how they did it what a breathe of fresh air the SJM transfer was. I do believe he would have wanted to play for Celtic but didnt make a mess of it. Respect.

An example would be Gordon Juke Box Durie an excellent young striker for us with an explosive burst of speed strong and good in the air a tremendous prospect signed from East Fife once he had built a reputation for himself had that look like he didnae want to be here always hobbling injured at the half way line looking a frustrated figure eventually getting his big move down south before ending up back at Castle Greyskull :confused:

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 07:28 AM
An example would be Gordon Juke Box Durie an excellent young striker for us with an explosive burst of speed strong and good in the air a tremendous prospect signed from East Fife once he had built a reputation for himself had that look like he didnae want to be here always hobbling injured at the half way line looking a frustrated figure eventually getting his big move down south before ending up back at Castle Greyskull :confused:

I never saw him like that tbh...he was always getting kicked and took quite a few injuries..being a big player he took longer to get back to full fitness ..spent decent time at Chelsea and spurs before coming back up here ...certainly ready for his move , but never saw him sulking on the park

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 07:36 AM
I never saw him like that tbh...he was always getting kicked and took quite a few injuries..being a big player he took longer to get back to full fitness ..spent decent time at Chelsea and spurs before coming back up here ...certainly ready for his move , but never saw him sulking on the park

Not sulking or petulant just didnae want to be here ready to move onto bigger and better things

I just felt latterly his heart wisnae in it

I cannot remember him being out injured for any protracted period of time

Agree he was often the target for the cloggers up here

For the record I thought he was a tremendous player with an electric burst of speed of course I wanted him to stay but realistically it wisnae happening :greengrin

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Not sulking or petulant just didnae want to be here ready to move onto bigger and better things

I just felt latterly his heart wisnae in it

I cannot remember him being out injured for any protracted period of time

Agree he was often the target for the cloggers up here

For the record I thought he was a tremendous player with an electric burst of speed of course I wanted him to stay but realistically it wisnae happening :greengrin

He had two or three bad injuries..was often out for 4-6 weeks at a time (maybe longer once). I’m
Sure you are right - he definitely wanted to move by the time it came along

Vault Boy
26-11-2019, 07:48 AM
Still gutted we didn't get £10m for him tbh. Can't think of any player to have left Hibs with such genuine well wishes and support.

Deserves everything he has.

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 07:58 AM
He had two or three bad injuries..was often out for 4-6 weeks at a time (maybe longer once). I’m
Sure you are right - he definitely wanted to move by the time it came along

Debut 20/10/1984 to 5/4/1986 played 58 times scoring 22 no real gaps in his appearances to show any period of prolonged injury apart from March 1985 when he only made one appearance and Christmas 1985

So that’s two periods ��

The fact that latterly he looked to be carrying an injury shows that he was probably asked to play when not fully fit

On a lighter note I remember him providing a few assists for Stevie Cowan :greengrin

J-C
26-11-2019, 09:51 AM
I spoke with him on a few occasions and he always emphasised his desire to play in the EPL and test himself against the top players, he never ruled out Celtic but EPL was always his desired destination. That attitude is why we loved him as a player and why the Villa fans love him too, a true professional who strives to be the best he can be.

EdinMike
26-11-2019, 10:05 AM
I remember the day Villa signed him, I got a text from a Villa fan asking if he was “any good enough” and I told him you got a steal of a player worth £30m in English money... and everyone associated with Hibernian is gutted he’s gone. A few weeks later after seeing him play once he text me back with the quote “yup”

jax67
26-11-2019, 10:12 AM
If I was Man Utd I’d try and get SJM and Jack Grealish.

KWJ
26-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Hibs? :greengrin

Liverpool sounds a good shout otherwise.

30% off, it'd be a sound investment :greengrin