PDA

View Full Version : Oban/Argyll Based Hibees

JIm
25-11-2019, 05:09 PM
Hi guys

Just wondering if any of you are based near Oban or lochgilphead? Keen to possibly tie up with someone on lifts in the future if anyone interested.

Cheers

heretoday
25-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Hi guys

Just wondering if any of you are based near Oban or lochgilphead? Keen to possibly tie up with someone on lifts in the future if anyone interested.

Cheers
Labour of love getting to and from ER from those places!

Lago
25-11-2019, 08:43 PM
Some journey especially at this time of year. We'll done. 👍

theonlywayisup
25-11-2019, 08:45 PM

Just checked.

It would take three hours drive, similar to driving from Inverness.

By train, a 9am departure gets you in at 1pm.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-11-2019, 09:09 PM
By train, a 9am departure gets you in at 1pm.

Quite a nice journey between Oban & Glasgow QS.

eastender1
25-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Hi guys

Cheers

Give it 10 years, and I'm there. Always fancied retiring up that way!

Inconsequential
25-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Give it 10 years, and I'm there. Always fancied retiring up that way!Oban itself isn't really 'up that way' at all. The town is only slightly north but mainly west of Edinburgh. Inverness is approx. the same distance from Oban as the capital. Parts of Argyll are actually much further south than Auld Reekie and contrary to popular belief we rarely have snow. Palm trees abound in this part of the world. :agree:

heretoday
27-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Give it 10 years, and I'm there. Always fancied retiring up that way!

It's OK for a holiday but you'd be bored out of your tree if you lived up there all the time.

edinburghhibee
27-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Hi guys

Cheers

I知 kinlochleven, just at Glencoe and try get down as much as I can. Could possibly meet in the green wellie or something? I壇 be keen for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

offshorehibby
27-11-2019, 04:25 PM
I was born in Oban but Edinburgh since 1970 still got a few good pals up there. I'm sure hibbiemacfie is from Oban and sure at least one more.

Inconsequential
27-11-2019, 04:37 PM
It's OK for a holiday but you'd be bored out of your tree if you lived up there all the time. Where exactly is up there and why would you be bored? Beats Corstorphine any day of the week IMO.:agree:

edinburghhibee
27-11-2019, 04:51 PM
It's OK for a holiday but you'd be bored out of your tree if you lived up there all the time.

I知 so bored out my tree that when I知 no working I知 climbing mountains, throwing myself down the mountainside on my bike and hopefully when the snow comes I値l be snowboarding. I知 having an absolute ***** time living up here [emoji1303]

Inconsequential
27-11-2019, 05:18 PM
I知 so bored out my tree that when I知 no working I知 climbing mountains, throwing myself down the mountainside on my bike and hopefully when the snow comes I値l be snowboarding. I知 having an absolute ***** time living up here [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk It must be a living hell for you living 'up there'. What with all that pure air, the best whisky, the best beer and the best pubs, the friendly welcoming natives, the wildlife, the sea and the islands. Must be awful.

Allant1981
27-11-2019, 09:40 PM
My mrs loves oban, we are there at least 3 times a year, usually stay in the oban bay hotel, was closed for refurb at the start of the year so stayed in a wee b&b, loves the wee shack that sells the sea food at the ferry terminal, cant help with a lift to games I'm afraid as I'm miles away!!

Peevemor
27-11-2019, 09:51 PM
I love the West coast and have lost count of the amount of time I've spent in and around Oban. I'm not that fussed for the town itself (always the risk of shortbread poisoning), but it's a great base for visiting the surrounding area & islands.

My ex in-laws used to have a few weeks at a time share cottage on Loch Melford and we were lucky enough to get the use of it a good few years running. Then just this summer I was across with the family and we stumbled on this place a wee bit further down the road.

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/27487001?source_impression_id=p3_1574891313_poKgkF o%2F%2BNHYG%2Faa

It was absolutely ideal for a couple of nights.

lyonhibs
28-11-2019, 09:52 AM
In-laws and wife live in Taynuilt about 12 miles or so outside Oban. Beautiful part of the world when you get the opportunity to actually see it.

Got married there in April 2016 and had blue skies, clouds and a snow shower come down off Ben Cruachan all in the space of a few hours!

Anyway, the wife has been making - mostly - jocular noises about "moving home to the Highlands" which, for a life long city kid like me, would be a bit of a challenge but who knows.....

hibbyfraelibby
28-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Up there? Surely you mean across there?

The Pointer
28-11-2019, 11:03 AM
The reason I didn't go on Tuesday night was because of road closures south of Inveraray which, if I'd missed the opening every two hours, would have meant a very lengthy diversion. All part of living in a country area.

The bonus is filling the kettle looking out to the sunrise over the loch. I'm never bored here - although there's a reason my children seldom come back to visit!

The Pointer
28-11-2019, 11:06 AM
While I'm on, I remember contacting a chap at the time of the Cup Final who was a fireman at Oban Airport who was a Hibby while there are at least a dozen in Mid Argyll. Very few Jambos.

Inconsequential
28-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Up there? Surely you mean across there? Spot on! At last a fellow Hibee who knows his geography. Oban is not 'up there' has never been 'up there' and it's very unlikely it will ever be 'up there'. It is located on the WEST COAST of Scotland as I have already informed many on this post although it appears I really shouldn't have bothered.

hibee_nation
28-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Oban is most definitely up there Greetings from Cowal.

Inconsequential
28-11-2019, 06:10 PM
Oban is most definitely up there Greetings from Cowal. By Eck you're right! The exception proves the rule. :wink:

JIm
29-11-2019, 04:27 PM
I知 kinlochleven, just at Glencoe and try get down as much as I can. Could possibly meet in the green wellie or something? I壇 be keen for this!

Sounds promising mate. Drop me a pm and we can maybe get some conversation flowing.

By sounds of it there's nearly enough for a mini bus if we can just locate everyone 😂

For what it's worth I know there's a Bobbie up in strontian as well bits that's a wee bit further up.

JIm
29-11-2019, 04:29 PM

Maybe if you lack imagination or a willingness to get of your arse.

JIm
29-11-2019, 05:51 PM

I love the West coast and have lost count of the amount of time I've spent in and around Oban. I'm not that fussed for the town itself (always the risk of shortbread poisoning), but it's a great base for visiting the surrounding area & islands.

My ex in-laws used to have a few weeks at a time share cottage on Loch Melford and we were lucky enough to get the use of it a good few years running. Then just this summer I was across with the family and we stumbled on this place a wee bit further down the road.

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/27487001?source_impression_id=p3_1574891313_poKgkF o%2F%2BNHYG%2Faa

It was absolutely ideal for a couple of nights.

I know it well. Im a few miles further down the single track. Its a special place to live. Gives a shout if in area again.

Inconsequential
29-11-2019, 06:18 PM
I know it well. Im a few miles further down the single track. Its a special place to live. Gives a shout if in area again. I've been to Craobh Haven many times and remember when it was newly built. Not just a holiday village there are residents who live there permanently. The village pub was owed by a chap who also had the well known Oban Inn.

Peevemor
29-11-2019, 06:31 PM
I know it well. Im a few miles further down the single track. Its a special place to live. Gives a shout if in area again.Cheers, I will do, but it'll be at least a couple of years before I'm back in the area.

Peevemor
29-11-2019, 06:44 PM
I've been to Craobh Haven many times and remember when it was newly built. Not just a holiday village there are residents who live there permanently. The village pub was owed by a chap who also had the well known Oban Inn.I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I knew the area pretty well but didn't even know the place existed. It seems to work pretty well for a "new" development.

As I say, I would recommend the house that we rented without hesitation.

As for the Oban Inn, I've had a couple of great nights in there that I don't remember.

The last time I was in was finishing up a mate's stag do. He's originally from Oban so the day, complete with mini coach and driver, started in the bar on the ferry to Mull, then a couple in the Mishnish, then on to Kilchoan, a few other stops, a fish supper in Fort William, etc. (you get the idea)...

ian cruise
29-11-2019, 06:46 PM

And you've the Etive restaurant which is one of the best I've been to in years.

frazeHFC
30-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Spent a week in Ardrishaig working, fair play to anyone travelling from that area to Easter Road every second week. Brilliant part of the country though, always enjoy the odd trip back.

Helensburghhibs
30-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Sounds promising mate. Drop me a pm and we can maybe get some conversation flowing.

By sounds of it there's nearly enough for a mini bus if we can just locate everyone 😂

For what it's worth I know there's a Bobbie up in strontian as well bits that's a wee bit further up.

Keep me in the loop as well, I'm a bit closer to civilisation but would be up for jumping in down Loch lomond way

The Pointer
30-11-2019, 12:59 PM
Ardrishaig - now you're talking! Used to have four pubs and now we're down to one, it's shan and owned by a The Rangers season ticket holder. Spare a thought for Hibbies travelling from Campbeltown, another hour down the road. McCartney never called it the 'Long and Winding Road' for nothing.

edinburghhibee
05-12-2019, 01:02 PM
I know it well. Im a few miles further down the single track. Its a special place to live. Gives a shout if in area again.

Jlm I致e sent you a couple messages mate are you getting them?

JIm
05-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Jlm I致e sent you a couple messages mate are you getting them?

Have seen and replied. If you text me from number I sent you we can get some plans in place hopefully 👍

Dazzjw1875
05-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Oban is really nice we go every Easter for a week, never get bored driving about or going to mull so peaceful kids love it.

Inconsequential
05-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Oban is really nice we go every Easter for a week, never get bored driving about or going to mull so peaceful kids love it. Wow! A fellow Hibee with impeccable taste. Who needs a Xbox when you have Balamory? :greengrin