PDA

View Full Version : Memories of The Cave (What is now FF Stand )

IberianHibernian
24-11-2019, 11:01 PM
After reading threads about old North Stand Enclosure and one about catchig ball during games it got me thinking about memories of old Cave ( what is now FF Stand and what some older fans refer to as the " Shed " though I always knew ends at Holy Ground as The Cave and The Dunbar End ) . My first memory of The Cave is seeing Joe McBride`s (Snr ) double in a 2 v 0 win against Celtic about the time they won the European Cup . I still remember the first goal like it was yesterday partly because it was such a fantastic strike . For anyone under 55 ; The Cave was a covered terrace behind the goal which was split between supporters of both clubs in late 60s / early 70s . I also remember an East of Scotland Shield match in 70s when we beat Hearts with a Blackley penalty in front of only about 16000 fans ( league Derbies then got about 30 000 fans ) but with several hundred fans of both clubs in Cave . First time we played Liverpool too . Lots of memories of Cave after often including Jimmy O`Rourke - hattricks v Besa ( Albania ) , Morton etc etc Easy to remember big European nights but what about all the league games with 5000 crowds in 70s / 80s ? No season tickets in those days except for Centre and North Stand but thousands of us supported club in terrible weather conditions on main terracing or on benches in The Cave or both ( on wet days fans were let through fence between Cave and main terracing ) . Lots of other memories too and I`m sure lots of folk here will have even more .

FilipinoHibs
24-11-2019, 11:26 PM
When it became all seated there was still little segregation. Remember stand up fights with Rangers fans.

ajf
24-11-2019, 11:30 PM
Was under the shed for a Wednesday night game v rangers 1969/70 and got cut under the eye by an old penny I'm ashamed to say I picked it up and gave them it back , iirc john mcnamee scored a late header to give us a 3-2 win

oldbutdim
25-11-2019, 12:05 AM
Missiles used to be pretty commonplace in there. Notably the Huns and our chums from Gorgie, but the 'Dundee Skins' were a tasty mob too.
A guy in front of me was hit on the napper with a missile from the Dundee fans and went down pole-axed.
As we picked him up, we also identified the missile - it was a bulldog clip. For non-office workers, this is basically a big paper clip.
The sheepish fan explained that when he was hit ' he went down, automatically when he felt it' (before Andy Walker's time too) and had to take a fair bit of abuse - not a scratch on his napper.
Made you wonder about angry office workers from Dundee coming down to throw office gadgetry at rival fans.
I was tempted to let the animals have it with a fusillade of Bic Biros.

Peevemor
25-11-2019, 12:59 AM
I was never in there that often, though there were a 2-3 matches in the early 80s when crowds were at their lowest and the terracing was closed because of ice/snow - everyone fitted into the cowshed (as I knew it) no bother.

One match I remember watching from in there was Arthur Duncan's testimonial against a "Scotland Select".

Mixu62
25-11-2019, 02:28 AM
Was watching from the shed when we beat the mighty Cowdenbeath 1-0 in a mid-week cup tie. A moment of magic from Mickey Weir spared us the embarrassment of a replay at Central Park. Trying to remember why we sat in the shed that night, think my brother had broken a toe or something so didn't want to stand in the East all night.

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 04:33 AM
Great memories!

You had to get there early to hold your position to repel invading Huns and yams as no segregation and avoid flying missiles

Tremendous atmosphere we used to suck the ball into the net and long for the ball to settle in the green and white rigging

Each goal celebrated as if every HIBS fan had just won the lottery hugging the stranger next to them as if they were a long lost buddy

Some great songs from our then top ten “ Standing on a corner swinging my chain......”

If an opposition player got injured “ Dig a hole and bury him”

Dug oan the pitch “ Colin Colin Colin Stein”

Fighting amongst the away fans “ Hooli Hooli Hooligans “

As others have said some memorable performances on the pitch

Johnny Graham’s early double versus Airdrie we thought he was the second coming

“ Johnny Graham King of Scotland”

Jimmy ORourkes hatrick versus Sporting Lisbon that sent shock waves around Europe met by the now familiar “ Hibeees Hibees Hibees!”

Steve-O
25-11-2019, 05:06 AM
I used to sit in the cowshed (always how i knew it) occasionally in the late 80s, and then often from about 1991 - 1994 or so.

Main memories are of that Herts Scottish Cup game, a 5-1 Boxing Day win over Partick Thistle, a draw vs Aberdeen when Snelders was sent off for punching Keith Wright and then Brian Irvine (the defender) saved the resulting penalty and a 3-2 win v Raith in a midweek game with about 9000 there, and that being considered a great crowd - biggest of that season to date IIRC. Also a game where we were 3-0 up v Celtic at half time sticks out.

Bangkok Hibby
25-11-2019, 05:31 AM
Flying missiles as has been said. In my case toilet rolls onto the goal 😆
I also clearly remember at really busy games you could be pissed on by someone behind you trying to get it in a tin 😡

heretoday
25-11-2019, 05:37 AM
There were some pretty crazy battles in there but in a way it was healthier than the nasty Internet trolling which is the order of the day now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
25-11-2019, 05:51 AM
Was under the shed for a Wednesday night game v rangers 1969/70 and got cut under the eye by an old penny I'm ashamed to say I picked it up and gave them it back , iirc john mcnamee scored a late header to give us a 3-2 win

MacNamee was long gone by 69/70

Ray_
25-11-2019, 06:48 AM

It was 70/71, fog-bound Easter Road with a crowd of just under 19k, which reflected the poor weather. Pat Stanton hit the bar with an outrageous effort from near the halfway line, Jim Blair got a brace as Willie Mac's team hit back from being 1-2 down with arch-enemy Colin Stein getting one and the other by Derek Johnson. I'm sure it was Joe McBride who got Hibs other goal, the game changed after Willie Johnson was sent off for retaliation.

Ray_
25-11-2019, 06:54 AM
Great memories!

You had to get there early to hold your position to repel invading Huns and yams as no segregation and avoid flying missiles

Tremendous atmosphere we used to suck the ball into the net and long for the ball to settle in the green and white rigging

Each goal celebrated as if every HIBS fan had just won the lottery hugging the stranger next to them as if they were a long lost buddy

Some great songs from our then top ten “ Standing on a corner swinging my chain......”

Jimmy ORourkes hatrick versus Sporting Lisbon that sent shock waves around Europe met by the now familiar “ Hibeees Hibees Hibees!”

That Hibees Hibees was the first time I ever heard a chant/song come from the Old North Stand.

CraigHibee
25-11-2019, 06:58 AM
First real memory for me of the cowshed was around 1988 (would have been 8), pretty sure it was st mirren and we beat them 3-2, absolute torrential rain, the cowshed had character and not a massive amount of protection from the elements

FilipinoHibs
25-11-2019, 07:23 AM
I remember sitting in the shed for the 1985 League Cup vs the Huns. Two legged affair and this was first leg. Electric atmosphere on a beautiful autumn evening. GLORY GLory to the Hibees almost lifted the roof off the cave as the teams came on. Hibs won two nil with one goal from Gordon Chisolm. Huns got their obligatory penalty but was saved. We sang we are going to get our heads kicked in and there is going to be holy water in the cup despite not many being RC but just to wind the Rangers up.

Hiber-nation
25-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Great memories!

Great stuff Billy, you've brought the memories flooding back.

The worst trouble I remember seeing in the cave was at HT during the Drybrough Cup semi when we thrashed the huns 3-0, crowd spilling on to the pitch followed by battles on the pitch right up to the halfway line. I was in the East that night thankfully. My mate got a right doing from the huns.

Hibby Bairn
25-11-2019, 07:37 AM
Sitting in there, aged 6, with my grandad writing in the half time scores on the back of my programme as they go up on the manual scoreboard at the Dunbar End.

basehibby
25-11-2019, 07:52 AM
I've fond memories of the shed as my Dad used to take me in there in the late 70s when I was first going to games. I remember one game in particular when we beat (Dundee?) 5-2 as we had hit lean times by then and that sort of scoreline was a rarity. Someone scored an amazing goal in front of the shed in that game after a real goalmouth scramble - was it George McCluskey?

Also remember the guy who used to come around selling a tray full of stuff at Half Time - including Macaroon bars - Yum!

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 08:11 AM
That Hibees Hibees was the first time I ever heard a chant/song come from the Old North Stand.

:agree:

Yip please see my North Enclosure recollections re the foot stompers :greengrin

Killiehibbie
25-11-2019, 08:23 AM
My first game was in there. 8 goals, cup paraded and a great team. I thought it was always going to be like that but soon found out different.

Golden Bear
25-11-2019, 08:47 AM
We were all 45mins inhabitants of the Cave as it was the custom to shift en masse to behind the "other goals" at half time. Occasionally, us troglodytes used to engage in "friendly banter" with the opposition supporters on the half way line.

The crowd "sways" were another regular feature of life in the Cave.

Happy Days.

:greengrin

hibby67
25-11-2019, 09:24 AM
One of my fondest memories of the shed was standing there when we played Man Utd in a testimonial game (can’t remember who for) but it was Boxing Day 82 or 83 and Joe Tortalano took out Gordon Strachan at waist height and got sent off. I’m sure that is the only time I saw Joe tackle anyone. Happy days

Sweet Left Peg
25-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Andy Goran scoring down the slope into the Cowshed end. Think it was against Morton.

Peevemor
25-11-2019, 09:33 AM
One of my fondest memories of the shed was standing there when we played Man Utd in a testimonial game (can’t remember who for) but it was Boxing Day 82 or 83 and Joe Tortalano took out Gordon Strachan at waist height and got sent off. I’m sure that is the only time I saw Joe tackle anyone. Happy days

Tortolano halved Strachan during Gordon Rae's testimonial in 1988. The boxing day friendly was in 1981.

FilipinoHibs
25-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Andy Goran scoring down the slope into the Cowshed end. Think it was against Morton.

Yes was there with my oldest son. His first game.

Golden Bear
25-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Gordon Rae's testimonial but I think it was later than 82/83. Yes, that tackle (5 mins into the game?) came into the "unbelievable" category and I remember the crowd were hushed into silence!

hibby67
25-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Tortolano halved Strachan during Gordon Rae's testimonial in 1988. The boxing day friendly was in 1981.

👍 memory not as good as I thought still happy days

lyonhibs
25-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Cowshed for me, I have vague memories of Mickey Weir scoring a free kick, going radge after Leighton got injured by a Motherwell player and us missing a penalty against (I think) Partick Thistle.

Also, getting split up from my group and walking to the nearest polis to await getting found after a tannoy announcement.

eastterrace
25-11-2019, 10:01 AM
In the cowshed when Bobby Duncan got his leg broke against Celtic ( big John hughes the culprit) and the fighting broke out it was mayhem . I ended up on the pitch with hundreds more due to the fighting just to get away from it .think we lost 4-1 .

Cataplana
25-11-2019, 10:02 AM
It always struck me as a good place for programme collectors to meet up.

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 10:07 AM
In the cowshed when Bobby Duncan got his leg broke against Celtic ( big John hughes the culprit) and the fighting broke out it was mayhem . I ended up on the pitch with hundreds more due to the fighting just to get away from it .think we lost 4-1 .

0-2

To make matters worse Bobby Duncan also scored an og before being carried off with a broken leg as a result of a bad tackle from John Hughes

Source: fitbastats

Forza Fred
25-11-2019, 10:11 AM
I was a regular in the Cowshed.

Attended the games with the guys from the Carlton bus, and we were probably responsible for many of the chants starting up...especially as Oggie Oggie Oy was one of our crowd!

Too many memories to recite them here but one in particular stands out...the day we played Celtic and John Hughes broke Bobby Duncan’s leg.

No segregation in those days..only a thin blue line sometimes employed by the polis to keep rival fans apart, but they were no match for the cascade of bottles, glasses and cans that rained down on us when we told the Celtic supporters exactly what we thought of Hughes,

The Celtic support were loosely corralled in the upper now, East stand end of the shed, and darkened the sky with their missiles.

I immediately bent over to shield myself and a couple bounced off my back.

Others were not so lucky and were led away by the ambulance guys with blood streaming from their heads.

Changed days, thankfully.

blackpoolhibs
25-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Always went in the shed/cave. One memory from early 70s was people would make a gap a round gap to make it look like there was a fight, the police would come in and there was nothing happening except a few of them getting their hats knocked off.

Ah the fun we had as a teenager.:greengrin

Lester B
25-11-2019, 10:33 AM
My late old man always referred to it as the Cowshed so I always think of it as that.

We started going there in the mid 80s having previously been staunch East Terracing guys. Saw the two quarter finals against Celtic (4-3 and 4-4 IIRC) from there. Still among the best games I ever saw at ER.

Bradford
25-11-2019, 10:45 AM
I remember the Cave before it was the Cave. Wide open terraces around the ground with no cover. Many times soaked, frozen or both.

147lothian
25-11-2019, 10:50 AM
My memory is of being in the cow shed is for the game against celtic when the cs gas bombs got thrown into the east stand with fans coming onto the pitch and walking round the track side with eyes streaming, think that was in the late 80's but even then although there was meant to be segregation there was still some of their fans in the shed.

Joe6-2
25-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Gordon Rae's testimonial but I think it was later than 82/83. Yes, that tackle (5 mins into the game?) came into the "unbelievable" category and I remember the crowd were hushed into silence!

I remember giving the ref it tight for ruining the game so early! 😂😂

Joe6-2
25-11-2019, 10:58 AM
My late old man always referred to it as the Cowshed so I always think of it as that.

We started going there in the mid 80s having previously been staunch East Terracing guys. Saw the two quarter finals against Celtic (4-3 and 4-4 IIRC) from there. Still among the best games I ever saw at ER.

I was in there (shed!) for that 4-3 game, amazing

Killiehibbie
25-11-2019, 11:03 AM
My memory is of being in the cow shed is for the game against celtic when the cs gas bombs got thrown into the east stand with fans coming onto the pitch and walking round the track side with eyes streaming, think that was in the late 80's but even then although there was meant to be segregation there was still some of their fans in the shed.

Probably dozens of them sitting in there that day. I pointed out one that hit me with a 50 pence piece and the polisman told me to shut the **** up and put it in my pocket.

Sudds_1
25-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Remember being in the cave for the liverpool 1st tound tie. Livvy fans started chanting liv erp ool liverpool fc. There was a 5 minute pause...then the hibbies struck up with hib ern ian hibernian! 😁

Hibernia&Alba
25-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Some great stories here. It sounds like the lack of segregation made it radge central :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 11:48 AM

I decided just for a change of scene to stand on the East next to the Dunbar End just to wynd the animals up Big mistake! Ended up having to scale the eight foot perimeter fence and walking round the pitch into the safety of the North Enclosure with my eyes streaming :confused:

Baader
25-11-2019, 12:02 PM

That's my abiding memory of it too! Always The Cowshed to me, although we didn't go there all that often.

Other distinct memory is that Hibs Celtic 4-3 game in the Scottish Cup and Eddie May's late winner from a Colin 'Bomber' Harris cross. We knocked Celtic out both cups that season, 1986 I think.

Sudds_1
25-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Was in the cave...right at the front...
When joe baker, white boots and all, scored on his return to ER. Place went absolutely mental!!

haagsehibby
25-11-2019, 12:06 PM
I've fond memories of the shed as my Dad used to take me in there in the late 70s when I was first going to games. I remember one game in particular when we beat (Dundee?) 5-2 as we had hit lean times by then and that sort of scoreline was a rarity. Someone scored an amazing goal in front of the shed in that game after a real goalmouth scramble - was it George McCluskey?

Also remember the guy who used to come around selling a tray full of stuff at Half Time - including Macaroon bars - Yum!

I think it was Ralph Callachan who scored against Dundee. A fantastic goal in which he embarked on a mazy run beating around six or seven opponents before scoring.

Golden Bear
25-11-2019, 12:33 PM
When joe baker, white boots and all, scored on his return to ER. Place went absolutely mental!!

Aberdeen were the opposition and they were on a very impressive unbeaten run of games at the time.

bigwheel
25-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Aberdeen were the opposition and they were on a very impressive unbeaten run of games at the time.

Was that the same game that Bobby Clark had gone circa 17 games without losing a goal. ?

oldbutdim
25-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Tortolano halved Strachan during Gordon Rae's testimonial in 1988.

3rd October 1988.

Not that my memory is any good, but I have the souvenir paperweight right in front of me!
:aok:

eastterrace
25-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Was that the same game that Bobby Clark had gone circa 17 games without losing a goal. ?yes it sure was, pat Stanton scored a great goal

Golden Bear
25-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Was that the same game that Bobby Clark had gone circa 17 games without losing a goal. ?

Not sure but it sounds as though it could have been. I think we beat them 2-0 and Joe Baker scored with a header from a corner kick.

bigwheel
25-11-2019, 01:12 PM
yes it sure was, pat Stanton scored a great goal

One of the earliest games I remember specifics about ...had been reading in the sports pages about Clarke’s record at home in the morning ...was behind the goals to see Stanton score first, then Baker scores.

Magic memories

Tom Hart RIP
25-11-2019, 01:30 PM
Many happy memories of the Cowshed. Used to wear a hard hat painted green with Hibs written on the side to save getting hit by bottles, p*ss filled cans and golf balls when Rangers or Celtic came to town.

I always changed ends at half time to stand behind the goal that Hibs were attacking.

The Rangers Drybrough Cup semi-final (we won 3-0) was mental and was the reason it was shut down.

One specific memory was at half time against Falkirk when we were 4-0 up. The half time scoreboard guy put the League Cup final score up as Partick Thistle 4 Celtic 0 and everybody was shouting at him to say that he had got it the wrong way round but he was correct.

Some great songs as well. 'Joe Baker, superstar how many goals have you scored so far?' 'Jimmy O'Rourke, everyone knows his name' 'His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team' 'Show them the way to go home' 'Come and have a go at the Hibee AGRO' etc

lord bunberry
25-11-2019, 01:32 PM
By the time I started going it had the benches in it and it wasn’t that great. I usually went to the East, but I did see the derby where Jackson and O’Neil scored in there.

Moulin Yarns
25-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Many happy memories of the Cowshed. Used to wear a hard hat painted green with Hibs written on the side to save getting hit by bottles, p*ss filled cans and golf balls when Rangers or Celtic came to town.

I always changed ends at half time to stand behind the goal that Hibs were attacking.

The Rangers Drybrough Cup semi-final (we won 3-0) was mental and was the reason it was shut down.

One specific memory was at half time against Falkirk when we were 4-0 up. The half time scoreboard guy put the League Cup final score up as Partick Thistle 4 Celtic 0 and everybody was shouting at him to say that he had got it the wrong way round but he was correct.

Some great songs as well. 'Joe Baker, superstar how many goals have you scored so far?' 'Jimmy O'Rourke, everyone knows his name' 'His name is Alan Gordon he's the leader of the team' 'Show them the way to go home' 'Come and have a go at the Hibee AGRO' etc

I remember the Partick thistle league Cup win was when we were playing Dundee United? Could be wrong though.

Apologies, we beat Falkirk 6-0

Andy.1875
25-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Use to lie on the benches on a warm August Saturay afternoon watching the games.
The slope made it ok so that I didn't have to really lift my hungover head up to watch the game.

Hibernia&Alba
25-11-2019, 01:53 PM

:faf: Ah, the good old days. The Hibs hard hat

Keith_M
25-11-2019, 02:13 PM
My earliest memories of The Cave are quite dull, in comparison to some of the above.

I only started going to games in 1979 and it was already seated at that point, so spent most of my time with the teenage bampots on the main terrace, at the halfway line. The Cave was always the place for OAPs or people with kids.

The only time we ever went into the cave was when it was really heavy rain and the stewards opened the gate to let us in. That inevitably led to an improvement in the atmosphere (such that it was) as we discovered you could make more noise with a roof overhead.

I preferred the East Terrace, with roof, once it was finally covered in about 1985. I suppose your fondness for that section depends on when you first started attending games.

Yorkshire HFC
25-11-2019, 02:21 PM
By the time I started going it had the benches in it and it wasn’t that great. I usually went to the East, but I did see the derby where Jackson and O’Neil scored in there.

I can only remember the benches - and I remember it as a grim place.

We usually went to the East - I remember a rainy game and the soaked fans in the east chanting "What a way to treat your fans". Unbelievably, it was opened to the fans in the East for a payment of 50p to a single 20 year old steward - who got shoved aside as people just charged in!

I also remember being in there for a Rangers game for some reason and lumps of concrete being thrown at the Rangers goalie!

Also a cup game against Ayr which went to penalties, which were taken at that end - can't remember who got through.

But I always picture it as usually being deserted. I think Easter Road was a dump in the 70s and 80s - going to the football is a much better experience nowadays.

Sudds_1
25-11-2019, 02:23 PM

We usually went to the East - I remember a rainy game and the soaked fans in the east chanting "What a way to treat your fans". Unbelievably, it was opened to the fans in the East for a payment of 50p to a single 20 year old steward - who got shoved aside as people just charged in!

I also remember being in there for a Rangers game for some reason and lumps of concrete being thrown at the Rangers goalie!

Also a cup game against Ayr which went to penalties, which were taken at that end - can't remember who got through.

But I always picture it as usually being deserted. I think Easter Road was a dump in the 70s and 80s - going to the football is a much better experience nowadays.

Yep....you dont see a wifey calling for the polis when a guy 5 rows above is having a pee and flooding the rows below 😁

Keith_M
25-11-2019, 02:23 PM

You're definitely not 'on message'

:wink:

Moody Blues
25-11-2019, 02:24 PM
After reading threads about old North Stand Enclosure and one about catchig ball during games it got me thinking about memories of old Cave ( what is now FF Stand and what some older fans refer to as the " Shed " though I always knew ends at Holy Ground as The Cave and The Dunbar End ) . My first memory of The Cave is seeing Joe McBride`s (Snr ) double in a 2 v 0 win against Celtic about the time they won the European Cup . I still remember the first goal like it was yesterday partly because it was such a fantastic strike . For anyone under 55 ; The Cave was a covered terrace behind the goal which was split between supporters of both clubs in late 60s / early 70s . I also remember an East of Scotland Shield match in 70s when we beat Hearts with a Blackley penalty in front of only about 16000 fans ( league Derbies then got about 30 000 fans ) but with several hundred fans of both clubs in Cave . First time we played Liverpool too . Lots of memories of Cave after often including Jimmy O`Rourke - hattricks v Besa ( Albania ) , Morton etc etc Easy to remember big European nights but what about all the league games with 5000 crowds in 70s / 80s ? No season tickets in those days except for Centre and North Stand but thousands of us supported club in terrible weather conditions on main terracing or on benches in The Cave or both ( on wet days fans were let through fence between Cave and main terracing ) . Lots of other memories too and I`m sure lots of folk here will have even more .

Never new it as the cave. It was always the shed to me.

Frankhfc
25-11-2019, 02:48 PM
I've been attending Easter Road since the very early seventies and I can honestly say I've no memories of the Cave or Cowshed as it's probably the only part of the home end of the ground I didn't venture into. I've had experiences of sitting in all of the parts of the old North, Centre and West stand, standing up at Shaw's heights or as far up the old terracing as was possible which was a fair dizzying height for a young lad, paying into the North Standing Enclosure a couple of times yet never saw a game from the Cave or Cowshed. I feel like I missed out now reading some of the stories on here.

Yorkshire HFC
25-11-2019, 02:50 PM
You're definitely not 'on message'

:wink:

LOL - the old days were crap!

One good memory I have is the ticker tape welcome the players got from the fans below the old tv gantry when they appeared - after Argentina 1978.

One good way to dispose of copies of old the Daily Record I suppose - which again wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

hibeg
25-11-2019, 03:24 PM
One game I remember in the shed was v Ayr on Xmas Eve in the late 70s. There was hardly anybody there. I think the total attendance was about 3k. I remember a few of us Edinburgh West boys trying to start a few festive chants, but they went down like a lead balloon!
I vaguely remember Ally Scott playing.
Grim days

Iggy Pope
25-11-2019, 03:30 PM
One game I remember in the shed was v Ayr on Xmas Eve in the late 70s. There was hardly anybody there. I think the total attendance was about 3k. I remember a few of us Edinburgh West boys trying to start a few festive chants, but they went down like a lead balloon!
I vaguely remember Ally Scott playing.
Grim days

Rikki Fleming is ringing a bell here E.

Edit. I’ve just Wikid him and he came a bit later....

Hiber-nation
25-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Rikki Fleming is ringing a bell here E.

Edit. I’ve just Wikid him and he came a bit later....

1-0 Joe Fillipi og :greengrin http://www.ihibs.co.uk/hibs/game.php?gameid=60268

One of the very few times I seriously thought of not going to a home game.

Ray_
25-11-2019, 04:30 PM
Remember being in the cave for the liverpool 1st tound tie. Livvy fans started chanting liv erp ool liverpool fc. There was a 5 minute pause...then the hibbies struck up with hib ern ian hibernian! 😁

The Liverpool fans started that chant in their social club after the second leg the Hibs supporters clubs had been invited for a post match drink [orange or coke for me I was 13!].

Sudds_1
25-11-2019, 04:47 PM
The Liverpool fans started that chant in their social club after the second leg the Hibs supporters clubs had been invited for a post match drink [orange or coke for me I was 13!].

I well remember belting in out in the cave during the first leg...even tried to outsing the pool supporters on their iwn song!

Gmack7
25-11-2019, 04:50 PM
I watched a certain Benny Brazil score a hatrick against Celtic in a friendly. I'm sure it was arranged as we had undersoil heating .

Golden Bear
25-11-2019, 04:56 PM

That was some trip as well.

6 of us down in 2 cars. The first car got nicked while we were at the game and we never knew that the boot of the second car had been forcibly opened until we got home.

No mean city.

Sudds_1
25-11-2019, 04:57 PM

6 of us down in 2 cars. The first car got nicked while we were at the game and we never knew that the boot of the second car had been forcibly opened until we got home.

No mean city.

Damn right...much the same now. !

BILLYHIBS
25-11-2019, 04:59 PM

No mean city.

What no fifty pence to guard your car Mr ? :greengrin

hibeg
25-11-2019, 06:02 PM
1-0 Joe Fillipi og :greengrin http://www.ihibs.co.uk/hibs/game.php?gameid=60268

One of the very few times I seriously thought of not going to a home game.

IIR it was snowing heavily :confused: Then again i thought Ally Scott was playing :greengrin

Mike Wilson, can't remember him at all !

Hiber-nation
25-11-2019, 06:14 PM
IIR it was snowing heavily :confused: Then again i thought Ally Scott was playing :greengrin

Mike Wilson, can't remember him at all !

Aye I'm sure it was snowing. I've got a very vague recollection of Mike Wilson. Only made 3 starts.

hibeerealist
25-11-2019, 06:39 PM
One of the earliest games I remember specifics about ...had been reading in the sports pages about Clarke’s record at home in the morning ...was behind the goals to see Stanton score first, then Baker scores.

Magic memories

I remember that that game too as I never saw Super Joe B first time around, I think he scored first but was chalked off for some reason??

It was the first time I had saw the cabbage with white shorts and white socks, always remember it looked great.

eastterrace
25-11-2019, 06:42 PM
I remember that that game too as I never saw Super Joe B first time around, I think he scored first but was chalked off for some reason??

It was the first time I had saw the cabbage with white shorts and white socks, always remember it looked great. also sure they wore tassels in the socks as well. Stanton scored first then baker and think it was dougie robb who scored for them, don’t know how I seem to remember that but I might be wrong.

Ray_
25-11-2019, 06:46 PM
I well remember belting in out in the cave during the first leg...even tried to outsing the pool supporters on their iwn song!

I remember all the Liverpool fans in the cave and it all kicking off.

Frankhfc
25-11-2019, 07:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone else remembers the passageway that connected the old North, Centre and West stand. I was just a young lad but remember being able to flit between the three sections as the doors were often unlocked and iirc it led along the stands kiosks?

jingler1954
25-11-2019, 08:53 PM
I remember a game v Aberdeen in the early 70’s a fan was led past the shed with a bone handle knife sticking out of his head. A lot of missiles were thrown in those days. Still makes me shiver.

Mick O'Rourke
25-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Previously that part of the ground was called The Albion Road End.
The Cave was the domain of the Hibernian Choir and assorted bampots.
That all came to an end when the benches/seats were installed and price increased.

Happy Days in The Cave!!

Earlydelivery
25-11-2019, 09:05 PM
My first recollection of the cave was the homecoming of king Joe 1970 ... Ginger sidelappers white boots ... and the other King Stanton scoring to beat them 2-1 ... first goal Clarke had conceded in about 16 games ??

Carheenlea
25-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Can’t remember when it was terracing, but do remember one occasion when it poured with rain and the gates were opened to let folk in from main terracing to get under cover.
There was also a gap between two rods of fencing that was slightly wider than the rest that kids could squeeze through from main terracing to get in if stewards were not looking.

Feed McGraw
25-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Always The Cave to me and my mates. I think it must have become the shed or cowshed after the seats went in. Anyone of a certain age who was in there before the seats went in, must at least have heard it being called The Cave, even if they didn`t call it that themselves ! Loved it in there :greengrin.

Kojock
25-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Loads of memories but one obscure incident sticks in my mind after the shed was made all seated. Playing the Huns and a bottle comes flying from the seats to the rear. Hibs fans point out the culprit as being an elderly lady. Police move in and her son says it was him and gets arrested. Ten minutes later another bottle comes flying from the the same area. Again Hibs supporters point the finger at the elderly woman, she’s arrested and starts struggling with the cops. She’s lead to the front and it takes six of them to lift her over the wall during which she reveals her knee length bloomers. Photo in the Sunday Post the next day showing her getting lifted over the wall bloomers and all with the caption, “ what’s a nice girl like you doing in a place like this. 😂 😂 😂

Roxyhibee
26-11-2019, 09:10 AM
My dad always took me to the east upper as a kid which was brilliant, but as I got older I wanted to get into the cave. He couldn’t make the Sporting Lisbon game, so I went with a couple of guys from school and we headed straight there.! Just standing in there at 13 before the game started was exciting enough but a much older guy with a bag full of beer asked me if I had a bottle opener.!

Then, the game..

What a night.

Carheenlea
26-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Loads of memories but one obscure incident sticks in my mind after the shed was made all seated. Playing the Huns and a bottle comes flying from the seats to the rear. Hibs fans point out the culprit as being an elderly lady. Police move in and her son says it was him and gets arrested. Ten minutes later another bottle comes flying from the the same area. Again Hibs supporters point the finger at the elderly woman, she’s arrested and starts struggling with the cops. She’s lead to the front and it takes six of them to lift her over the wall during which she reveals her knee length bloomers. Photo in the Sunday Post the next day showing her getting lifted over the wall bloomers and all with the caption, “ what’s a nice girl like you doing in a place like this. 😂 😂 😂

:hilarious

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 09:27 AM

I always blame the parents. :greengrin

FilipinoHibs
26-11-2019, 10:02 AM
I remember a game against the Aberdeen in the Fergie era. Aberdeen were taking the pish and winning by a few goals. I was in the old Main stand main section on the away side. Was with a group of school German children from my ex wife's school exchange trip. Suddenly late in the game the Aberdeen players got pelted with golf balls coming from the cave.

Weegreenman
26-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Always knew it as the “COW SHED”

Pretty crappy wee stand and glad to see the back of it.

Forza Fred
26-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Always knew it as the “COW SHED”

Pretty crappy wee stand and glad to see the back of it.

It was the Cow Shed when first went up.

I left Edinburgh in 1974 and it was the Cowshed then.

In fact the first time I saw it called the Cave, was on this forum.

FilipinoHibs
26-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Remember it called the Cave in the 70s. I moved to Edunburgh in 1974.

Sudds_1
26-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Yep always been the cave for me. Must be my age!! 🙄

Mick O'Rourke
26-11-2019, 11:41 AM

Fred i accept, as the OP states as well, that some fans called it the cowshed
However, i can assure you it was called The Cave long before you left for Australia.
Not sure how you could not remember that;)

Yer big pal Dougan(ogy ogy) would have also known it as The Cave.

Cave or shed... It was my home from home in my teen years.
Couldnae wait for next home game to take my place in The Cave !

It was a bit of a dump, looking back
But it was our dump !
Many grounds back then were "tips"
Greedy chairmen/boards not willing to invest, until they were forced too through legislation.

snedzuk
26-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Great memories!

I used to be one of these knobs that wore a green crash helmet in there. On the green and white rigging I remember attending the first game of the season where they had these striped nets up and thinking they were magnificent. Oh - and also the dug on the pitch 'John Greig / John Greig'

snedzuk
26-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Always went in the shed/cave. One memory from early 70s was people would make a gap a round gap to make it look like there was a fight, the police would come in and there was nothing happening except a few of them getting their hats knocked off.

Ah the fun we had as a teenager.:greengrin

.....and everyone hummed the theme tune to z cars

Roxyhibee
26-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Always called the cave at my end of town / schoolmates. Even a few mates who were supporters of other teams called it that.

Sudds_1
26-11-2019, 12:37 PM
.....and everyone hummed the theme tune to z cars

Whose that man wi the helmet on...
Dixon,dixon
Whose that man wi the helmet on
Dixon of dock green

On the beat all day...on the wife all night
Dixon of dock green

Ah...tobe young and stupid again 😁😁

Forza Fred
26-11-2019, 01:50 PM
However, i can assure you it was called The Cave long before you left for Australia.

But it was our dump !
Greedy chairmen/boards not willing to invest, until they were forced too through legislation.

Cooshed for me, but doesnae really matter...it was the same structure I guess.

Seeing you mention Big Frank and Oggie Ogggie Oy...

Very interesting occurrence on Christmas Day 1970 I think it was and we played Rangers.

Yes,as you know we played on Christmas Day back then.

Frank and me were just inside the cowshed for some reason, not our usual spot right in the middle, and Frank was being Frank, just his loud and jovial self...

I looked down and on the track a police inspector was pointing in our direction, and signalling two uniformed polis to come over.

They did and Frank was arrested on Christmas Day!!

Despite his and my protestations that he had done nothing wrong...and he hadn't... he was lifted and charged with breach of the peace.

Everybody was pissing themselves laughing in the Hibsclub after the game thinking of Big Frank dubbed up in the High Street and not getting any Christmas dinner, but there WAS a serious side, as he could possibly have been banned from Easter Road by the club.

Fast Forward to Edinburgh Sheriff Court a few weeks later and Frank was pleading not guilty.

About 14 witnesses for the defence turned up..some of whom who had actually even been at the game...

Unfortunately Frank's case was put back to the afternoon, so we did what good witnesses do...went to the pub and got bevvied.

14 semi drunk guys sitting in a court lobby tend to get very noisy and we got pulled up by some court orderly and threatened with being charged for breach of the peace ourselves, if we didn't shut up.... and then came the call for Frank Dougan, Calling Frank Dougan.

Being witnesses we couldn't go into the court but Frank emerged after about 10 minutes and confirmed that once his lawyer told the PC that there were not one, not two, but 14 witnesses waiting to testify that Frank did nothing wrong, he admitted that it could indeed be a case of mistaken identity...although how anyone could mistake Frank for someone else is beyond me!

The case was dismissed, justice was served, and off we went to the pub again.

Frank as most know, went on to serve on the HIbs board, but I have wondered that if his lorryload of witnesses didn't turn up to testify in his defence that day, and he was convicted, if he ever would have got on the board with a conviction for breach of the peace at Easter road against his name.

Just so there is no doubt Frank did absolutely nothing wrong at the game, I was standing next to him, telling him that the Inspector was pointing at him, all the time wondering why on earth he did that.

Keith_M
26-11-2019, 02:55 PM
I remember a game against the Aberdeen in the Fergie era. Aberdeen were taking the pish and winning by a few goals. I was in the old Main stand main section on the away side. Was with a group of school German children from my ex wife's school exchange trip. Suddenly late in the game the Aberdeen players got pelted with golf balls coming from the cave.

Hmmm, this sounds like a very serious incident, if it happened, but I don't remember this at all.

Can anybody else confirm it?

LancsHibs
26-11-2019, 03:16 PM
The pie hut at the back setting on fire and them selling the fire damaged pies for half price:tee hee: Can’t remember the match but it would have been mid 80’s

Potty78
26-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Was in there for my first ever derby. We won 2 1 in 1987 with kano getting the winner. If I remember correctly there was a pitch invasion?

southsider
26-11-2019, 06:06 PM

A Dryburgh Cup semi final in, I think 1971, we won 3-0 was the worst violence I had yet seen. The Cave was half Hibs and half Huns. They threw bolts and screws, golf balls and bottles. A well - known lawyer Mr Walter Sutherland, who got my off a couple of times, was , as a court appointed lawyer, had to defend some of the Huns that got lifted. ‘Just plead guilty lads the cops have u bang to rights. They all got heavy fines.

Niffy
26-11-2019, 06:08 PM
22731 Hibs 1 Rangers 1

Tom Hart RIP
26-11-2019, 06:34 PM
A Dryburgh Cup semi final in, I think 1971, we won 3-0 was the worst violence I had yet seen. The Cave was half Hibs and half Huns. They threw bolts and screws, golf balls and bottles. A well - known lawyer Mr Walter Sutherland, who got my off a couple of times, was , as a court appointed lawyer, had to defend some of the Huns that got lifted. ‘Just plead guilty lads the cops have u bang to rights. They all got heavy fines.

😂 Wattie Sutherland. There’s a name from the past. Seem to remember he liked a wee drink.?

Roxyhibee
26-11-2019, 07:26 PM

1972. A great game with about 30,000 there.

There was a lot of talk about potential trouble in the days leading up to it, so my dad took me to the main stand where I could see everything.

Everyone seemed to be wearing colours on that summer night and it was all very vivid in the cave with beautiful green on one side and ugly blue white and red on the other and the black line of cops right down the middle trying to separate the 2. No chance - constant trouble and mayhem ensued. No exaggeration, if you weren’t there it was unbelievable thinking back compared to now. Must have been over 100 arrests.

Police were literally grabbing anyone and arresting them from both sets.

We battered them on the park 3-0, they had just won the European Cup Winners Cup a few weeks before, beating the likes of Bayern Munich on the way. They were a very good side but we were that good, they could not handle our brilliant style of attacking play.

Definitely one of the most dramatic evenings at ER.

southsider
26-11-2019, 07:32 PM
😂 Wattie Sutherland. There’s a name from the past. Seem to remember he liked a wee drink.?

Aye Rum & Pep. I knew him coz wi drunk in the Viv, causewayside, A’s did my gran.

snedzuk
26-11-2019, 08:44 PM
Whose that man wi the helmet on...
Dixon,dixon
Dixon of dock green

On the beat all day...on the wife all night
Dixon of dock green

Ah...tobe young and stupid again 😁😁

I forgot that one

Fanforlife
26-11-2019, 09:09 PM
😂 Wattie Sutherland. There’s a name from the past. Seem to remember he liked a wee drink.?Wattie certainly did enjoy a sherbet or 3😁 had him as my brief a few times back in the day,definitely a couple of cave incidents involved!🤣

norhfc
26-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Cowshed, I mind a cup game in mid 80s v Celtic, maybe quarter final. The shed was packed on a Wednesday night. Pretty sure the east was shut, maybe redevelopment with the new roof.
The game was a cracker, ended 4-4 AET, went to penalties. Brilliant atmosphere, went down to sudden death, up came Pierce O’Leary and booted the ball over the bar, I caught the ball but lost it in the mayhem.
My memory not so good but that game was epic.

Frankhfc
26-11-2019, 09:43 PM
Cowshed, I mind a cup game in mid 80s v Celtic, maybe quarter final. The shed was packed on a Wednesday night. Pretty sure the east was shut, maybe redevelopment with the new roof.
The game was a cracker, ended 4-4 AET, went to penalties. Brilliant atmosphere, went down to sudden death, up came Pierce O’Leary and booted the ball over the bar, I caught the ball but lost it in the mayhem.

I'm fairly certain I was in the East that game along with the other round about that time 4-3 game. Brilliant atmosphere's. Iirc it was before the seats went in but my memories not what it used to be.

norhfc
26-11-2019, 09:47 PM
I'm fairly certain I was in the East that game along with the other round about that time 4-3 game. Brilliant atmosphere's.
You are probably right, my memory is brutal :) I do mind being in there during the redevelopment of the east.

Frankhfc
26-11-2019, 10:00 PM
You are probably right, my memory is brutal :) I do mind being in there during the redevelopment of the east.

Me too mate :greengrin.

I'm fairly sure though I was in there both nights and it was before the seats went in with brilliant atmosphere's at both games.

:aok:

Mick O'Rourke
26-11-2019, 11:19 PM
Cooshed for me, but doesnae really matter...it was the same structure I guess.

Seeing you mention Big Frank and Oggie Ogggie Oy...

Very interesting occurrence on Christmas Day 1970 I think it was and we played Rangers.

Yes,as you know we played on Christmas Day back then.

Frank and me were just inside the cowshed for some reason, not our usual spot right in the middle, and Frank was being Frank, just his loud and jovial self...

I looked down and on the track a police inspector was pointing in our direction, and signalling two uniformed polis to come over.

They did and Frank was arrested on Christmas Day!!

Despite his and my protestations that he had done nothing wrong...and he hadn't... he was lifted and charged with breach of the peace.

Everybody was pissing themselves laughing in the Hibsclub after the game thinking of Big Frank dubbed up in the High Street and not getting any Christmas dinner, but there WAS a serious side, as he could possibly have been banned from Easter Road by the club.

Fast Forward to Edinburgh Sheriff Court a few weeks later and Frank was pleading not guilty.

About 14 witnesses for the defence turned up..some of whom who had actually even been at the game...

Unfortunately Frank's case was put back to the afternoon, so we did what good witnesses do...went to the pub and got bevvied.

14 semi drunk guys sitting in a court lobby tend to get very noisy and we got pulled up by some court orderly and threatened with being charged for breach of the peace ourselves, if we didn't shut up.... and then came the call for Frank Dougan, Calling Frank Dougan.

Being witnesses we couldn't go into the court but Frank emerged after about 10 minutes and confirmed that once his lawyer told the PC that there were not one, not two, but 14 witnesses waiting to testify that Frank did nothing wrong, he admitted that it could indeed be a case of mistaken identity...although how anyone could mistake Frank for someone else is beyond me!

The case was dismissed, justice was served, and off we went to the pub again.

Frank as most know, went on to serve on the HIbs board, but I have wondered that if his lorryload of witnesses didn't turn up to testify in his defence that day, and he was convicted, if he ever would have got on the board with a conviction for breach of the peace at Easter road against his name.

Just so there is no doubt Frank did absolutely nothing wrong at the game, I was standing next to him, telling him that the Inspector was pointing at him, all the time wondering why on earth he did that.

Big Dougan got intae bother a few times back then. (i should talk!)
He of course stuck oot like a sore thumb
He was a big boy when he was wee ;)

All that fancy grub at Scotus ,maybe!

Mind one time at Ibrox ,Frank for some reason got caught in amongst the hordes
(went through the wrong turnstile i think)

Anyway pc plod to the rescue and escorted him round the track to our support
Poor guy was covered in spit
That would be late 60s i think .

Back to the cave

A large number of fights/bother in there was with the polis and not always other fans. Police seemed to jump into it for many reasons or none.

Not always to arrest, but just throw fans out the ground.
Mostly petty and uncalled for .
Only made fans more resentful of them being there.

Police tried to steal my tricolour one time.
But they met resistance !
Mick and the tricolour prevailed
With a little help from my friends

It beggars belief what went on, not only in places like the cave ,but in many grounds back in those days.. 60s/70s
Namby pamby pavement dancing it was not, i tell you.

In the words of Max Boyce

"I was there"

Forza Fred
26-11-2019, 11:31 PM
It beggars belief what went on, not only in places like the cave ,but in many grounds back in those days.. 60s/70s
Namby pamby pavement dancing it was not, i tell you.

In the words of Max Boyce

"I was there"

Different culture when we were lads Mick.

You went to a game knowing there was going to be trouble, depending on the opposition.

Rangers was a stick on bet for a stramash, as was any visit to Airdrie, or Brockville when changing ends at half time and crossing yon wee bridge.

Celtic we sometimes had trouble with, but tbh, apart from verbal abuse I can’t remember too much aggro with our neighbours, not at Easter Road anyway.

That was then, and thankfully these days are over.

FilipinoHibs
26-11-2019, 11:43 PM
Hmmm, this sounds like a very serious incident, if it happened, but I don't remember this at all.

Can anybody else confirm it?

See the link below and the 1985 game vs Aberdeen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_recorded_incidents_involving_the_CCS

oldbutdim
26-11-2019, 11:44 PM
Different culture when we were lads Mick.

You went to a game knowing there was going to be trouble, depending on the opposition.

Rangers was a stick on bet for a stramash, as was any visit to Airdrie, or Brockville when changing ends at half time and crossing yon wee bridge.

Celtic we sometimes had trouble with, but tbh, apart from verbal abuse I can’t remember too much aggro with our neighbours, not at Easter Road anyway.

That was then, and thankfully these days are over.

Absolutely insane scenes there - guys going toe to toe, and hardly ever seemed to be polis intervention.
After having being involved in a bit of a fracas at said drawbridge with cops appearing to be turning a blind eye to the mayhem, one of our chums seemed to have disappeared and a pal shouted his name followed by "Where the **** are you?" and was immediately arrested!

Onion
26-11-2019, 11:52 PM
My first recollection of the cave was the homecoming of king Joe 1970 ... Ginger sidelappers white boots ... and the other King Stanton scoring to beat them 2-1 ... first goal Clarke had conceded in about 16 games ??

:agree: Remember it well. Also, strangely remember a 2nd leg semi against Falkirk when Ken Buchanan was brought on at HT to amazing reception. We won the game 1-0, battered them all game but lost 2-1 on aggregate. There were 21000 fans at the match. Saying all that, I may have imagined the whole thing it was sooo long ago.

Ray_
27-11-2019, 06:03 AM
:agree: Remember it well. Also, strangely remember a 2nd leg semi against Falkirk when Ken Buchanan was brought on at HT to amazing reception. We won the game 1-0, battered them all game but lost 2-1 on aggregate. There were 21000 fans at the match. Saying all that, I may have imagined the whole thing it was sooo long ago.

You didn't, this was a quarter final tie after Hibs under their new manager Eddie Turnbull breezed through the qualifying games with Alex Cropley quickly becoming Scotland's most sought after talent due to his sensational performances on the left wing. Alex Edwards signing was imminent and this allowed Arthur Duncan to switch to his more natural left side and Crop's to move in one where he remained just as influential.

We lost the first leg 2-0, huge Hibs support, didn't match our earlier cup performances, paid them too much respect, their talisman was Wilson Hoggan and rather then allowing John Brownlie to do his damage on the right, he was used to man mark the Falkirk player which disrupted the balance in the team. We changed back to our normal system in the second leg and absolutely battered them their defence led a very charmed life to stop Hibs getting the much deserved goals that would have put us through.

BILLYHIBS
27-11-2019, 07:13 AM
You didn't, this was a quarter final tie after Hibs under their new manager Eddie Turnbull breezed through the qualifying games with Alex Cropley quickly becoming Scotland's most sought after talent due to his sensational performances on the left wing. Alex Edwards signing was imminent and this allowed Arthur Duncan to switch to his more natural left side and Crop's to move in one where he remained just as influential.

We lost the first leg 2-0, huge Hibs support, didn't match our earlier cup performances, paid them too much respect, their talisman was Wilson Hoggan and rather then allowing John Brownlie to do his damage on the right, he was used to man mark the Falkirk player which disrupted the balance in the team. We changed back to our normal system in the second leg and absolutely battered them their defence led a very charmed life to stop Hibs getting the much deserved goals that would have put us through.

Yip! Defo quarter final A huge expectant HIBS support squashed into the Old Brockville

I remember the Falkirk centre half’s ( George Miller) goal came oot the sky with snow on it

I am sure Jimmy ORourke pulled one back at a packed Easter Road in a game in which as you say we indeed battered them but just couldnae get a second goal

Auckland Hibs
27-11-2019, 07:53 AM
It's always been the cowshed to me, never heard of the cave until reading this fantastic thread.

Only sat there a couple of times, my only real memory was beating Motherwell in a cup game (quite a few rounds into the competition), 2-0 with Kevin Harper scoring the 2nd, lobbed it over the advancing keeper (I was on the TV when he scored).

Tom Hart RIP
27-11-2019, 08:31 AM
Remember when Kenny Waugh put the electric scoreboard on the roof of the shed but then thought it might stop people buying programmes so instead of printing the half time scores they wrote ‘ Game A 2-0 Game B 1-1 etc.
That meant you had to have a programme to know which games the scores referred to. 😂

FilipinoHibs
27-11-2019, 09:30 AM
League cup quarter final 1985.

Kato
27-11-2019, 12:05 PM

There was a lot of talk about potential trouble in the days leading up to it, so my dad took me to the main stand where I could see everything.

Everyone seemed to be wearing colours on that summer night and it was all very vivid in the cave with beautiful green on one side and ugly blue white and red on the other and the black line of cops right down the middle trying to separate the 2. No chance - constant trouble and mayhem ensued. No exaggeration, if you weren’t there it was unbelievable thinking back compared to now. Must have been over 100 arrests.

We battered them on the park 3-0, they had just won the European Cup Winners Cup a few weeks before, beating the likes of Bayern Munich on the way. They were a very good side but we were that good, they could not handle our brilliant style of attacking play.

Definitely one of the most dramatic evenings at ER.The headlines the next day were about the trains they smashed on the way there and back. Front pages.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
27-11-2019, 04:02 PM
The 'Cowshed' was where I first went to games in thew early /mid 80's. Back when your Dad would take you and then just let you run riot in the massive concrete playground. There used to be a wee gap where you could get into the Terracing. Going on adventures was a lot better than the football on display!

pollution
27-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Remember when Kenny Waugh put the electric scoreboard on the roof of the shed but then thought it might stop people buying programmes so instead of printing the half time scores they wrote ‘ Game A 2-0 Game B 1-1 etc.
That meant you had to have a programme to know which games the scores referred to. 😂

I was there too.

In fact, I think it was booed so loudly the next game, the scores were read out to wild cheering.

Ray_
27-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Definitely one of the most dramatic evenings at ER.

I remember Stein running at Onion who had the ball out on the right wing, Stein went charging in like the carthorse he became at Ibrox John Brownlie pulled the ball back and Stein carried on crashing in to the terracing wall. Stein back then would have made the Hibs support compare Hartley & Jeffries to angels so the reaction was memorable. Four days later we were scoring five against Celtic at Hampden in the final, eight against the infirm in a few days.

hibeerealist
27-11-2019, 07:29 PM

But it was our dump !

yep always known as the Cave to me and my mates Mick, Cow shed was what the Jambos called it so surprised to hear Hibby’s calling it that.

cabbageandribs1875
27-11-2019, 07:32 PM
= the "Cow shed" fact and end of etc etc:agree: in oor 40 years i've never once heard it called "the cave" except by some on here....always the coo shed :)

Tom Hart RIP
27-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Peter Cormack’s autobiography is called From the Cowshed to the Kop

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-11-2019, 07:46 PM
= the "Cow shed" fact and end of etc etc:agree: in oor 40 years i've never once heard it called "the cave" except by some on here....always the coo shed :)

I concur.

WoreTheGreen
27-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Always the cowshed in there for Benny s hatrick

BILLYHIBS
27-11-2019, 08:02 PM
I remember Stein running at Onion who had the ball out on the right wing, Stein went charging in like the carthorse he became at Ibrox John Brownlie pulled the ball back and Stein carried on crashing in to the terracing wall. Stein back then would have made the Hibs support compare Hartley & Jeffries to angels so the reaction was memorable. Four days later we were scoring five against Celtic at Hampden in the final, eight against the infirm in a few days.

I raise you Mickey Edwards walking across a prostrate Alex MacDonald no even waiting for the red card and disappearing up the tunnel leaving Doddie to lift up his light blue top to inspect the damage and George Best pulling the ba back from a Derek Johnstone lunging tackle on an icy surface Bestie picking up the ball and asking Johnstone if this is what he was looking for? :greengrin

Ray_
27-11-2019, 08:48 PM
I raise you Mickey Edwards walking across a prostrate Alex MacDonald no even waiting for the red card and disappearing up the tunnel leaving Doddie to lift up his light blue top to inspect the damage and George Best pulling the ba back from a Derek Johnstone lunging tackle on an icy surface Bestie picking up the ball and asking Johnstone if this is what he was looking for? :greengrin

Ah, wee Mickey got sent off twice against Aberdeen and against East Fife about a year before the infamous game at the start of 1973, I think he walked over MacDonald but he never got sent off [even although he said he did on the TT's video. He played against Rangers in the Scottish cup replay at ER even although he was still serving the 8 game league suspension with the totting up system after getting booked in that infamous East Fife game. Bestie in the same game against Rangers picking up the lager can that was thrown at him in front of the Rangers fans and pretending to drink out of it.

Loads and loads of memories, Joe McBride's first goal against Celtic was magical and ironically, considering what happened a year or so latter, it was Hibs first game after Tom Hart came into the club, Joe Baker's second debut, the European games, Leipzig, Hamburg & Sporting particularly for me, the league cup in 1970, being 4-0 ahead at half-time in the section decider against Eddie Turnbull's fabulous Aberdeen team and the following season, Turnbull's Hibs and Alex Cropley in particular in fantastic form in the section games against Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock & Motherwell, picking up five wins and a draw in the six games. Peter Cormack's last game with him getting a brace while we were beating St Johnstone 4-1 ended up memorable because at 13 he was a big hero of mine.

The best of them all has to be the 3-1 derby cup tie in 2017 on the 22 Feb 2017 as it was the first derby I went to with my Hibby mad son.

For some quirk of fate, I've never seen Hearts beat Hibs, living in the south since 73 is part of the reason and any derby I've been to since, we've won or avoided defeat. The nearest I got to it was NY day around 1965, my late dad, [a part time jambo] took us to the derby and with Hibs winning 2-0 at half time he took us back to my grandparents. Watching grandstand, while he was sleeping it off on the armchair, the full-time results showed hearts had won the game 3-2.

BILLYHIBS
27-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Ah, wee Mickey got sent off twice against Aberdeen [twice] and against East Fife about a year before the infamous game at the start of 1973, I think he walked over MacDonald but he never got sent off [even although he said he did on the TT's video. He played against Rangers in the Scottish cup replay at ER even although he was still serving the 8 game league suspension with the totting up system after getting booked in that infamous East Fife game. Bestie in the same game against Rangers picking up the lager can that was thrown at him in front of the Rangers fans and pretending to drink out of it.

Loads and loads of memories, Joe McBride's first goal against Celtic was magical and ironically, considering what happened a year or so latter, it was Hibs first game after Tom Hart came into the club, Joe Baker's second debut, the European games, Leipzig, Hamburg & Sporting particularly for me, the league cup in 1970, being 4-0 ahead at half-time in the section decider against Eddie Turnbull's fabulous Aberdeen team and the following season, Turnbull's Hibs and Alex Cropley in particular in fantastic form in the section games against Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock & Motherwell, picking up five wins and a draw in the six games. Peter Cormack's last game with him getting a brace while we were beating St Johnstone 4-1 ended up memorable because at 13 he was a big hero of mine.

The best of them all has to be the 3-1 derby cup tie in 2017 on the 22 Feb 2017 as it was the first derby I went to with my Hibby mad son.

For some quirk of fate, I've never seen Hearts beat Hibs, living in the south since 73 is part of the reason and any derby I've been to since, we've won or avoided defeat. The nearest I got to it was NY day around 1965, my late dad, [a part time jambo] took us to the derby and with Hibs winning 2-0 at half time he took us back to my grandparents. Watching grandstand, while he was sleeping it off on the armchair, the full-time results showed hearts had won the game 3-2.
Great to see my post has stimulated your memory

You are 100% spot on Alex Edwards was never sent off versus Rangers

It must be another HIBS.net fact 😁

I also remember that League Cup section and a young Alex Cropley scoring a tremendous left foot volley from outside the box versus Kilmarnock

Great memories and a brilliant team

Dashing Bob S
27-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Agree that cowshed was a jambo term. Always the cave.

FilipinoHibs
27-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Agree that cowshed was a jambo term. Always the cave.

Yes The Cow Shed term of insult. The Cave term of endearment.

ozhibs
28-11-2019, 02:27 AM
Always the cowshed for me, never heard the cave until i came on Hibs.net

Some great European nights in there :-)

GGTTH

oldbutdim
28-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Peter Cormack’s autobiography is called From the Cowshed to the Kop

Pretty much settles the argument I'd say.

:greengrin

Barman Stanton
28-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Likewise with many, Iv never even heard it being called the Cave other than on here. You must have to be really old to have called it the Cave :agree:

Feed McGraw
28-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Likewise with many, Iv never even heard it being called the Cave other than on here. You must have to be really old to have called it the Cave :agree: Me and my mates are all in our sixties and still talk about " The Cave" on the odd occasion, ( we must be really old) :greengrin. I have never heard anyone use the word "Yam" to describe a hertz **** other than on here but " The Cave" is most certainly used in "real life" :agree:. I think it probably changed to cowshed when it was closed after IIRC a Rangers game which had big trouble in the cave - I`m sure some papers called it " The battle of Easter Road". Bench seating then went in and I think that`s when it became the cowshed for the next generation of fans, although there are some guys my age or older who don`t seem to refer to it as the cave, but surely, as I stated in a previous post, they must have heard others calling it that. :confused:

Ray_
28-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Me and my mates are all in our sixties and still talk about " The Cave" on the odd occasion, ( we must be really old) :greengrin. I have never heard anyone use the word "Yam" to describe a hertz **** other than on here but " The Cave" is most certainly used in "real life" :agree:. I think it probably changed to cowshed when it was closed after IIRC a Rangers game which had big trouble in the cave - I`m sure some papers called it " The battle of Easter Road". Bench seating then went in and I think that`s when it became the cowshed for the next generation of fans, although there are some guys my age or older who don`t seem to refer to it as the cave, but surely, as I stated in a previous post, they must have heard others calling it that. :confused:

Defo "The Cave" in the sixties going forward.

Barman Stanton
28-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Me and my mates are all in our sixties and still talk about " The Cave" on the odd occasion, ( we must be really old) :greengrin. I have never heard anyone use the word "Yam" to describe a hertz **** other than on here but " The Cave" is most certainly used in "real life" :agree:. I think it probably changed to cowshed when it was closed after IIRC a Rangers game which had big trouble in the cave - I`m sure some papers called it " The battle of Easter Road". Bench seating then went in and I think that`s when it became the cowshed for the next generation of fans, although there are some guys my age or older who don`t seem to refer to it as the cave, but surely, as I stated in a previous post, they must have heard others calling it that. :confused:

Likewise on the term 'yam'. I cringe a bit every time I see that term!

The Cave does sound a lot cooler I have to say.

Peevemor
28-11-2019, 02:06 PM
Could the cave/cowshed thing be geographical?

I was raised in the South-West of Edinburgh and we all called it the cowshed.

Or is it a question of era?

It would have been very early 80s that I called it anything other than the "seated enclosure" - it's Sunday name.

hughio
28-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Cave or Cowshed I have become confuddled with the passage of time.

I remember the shivers of excitement going in there for Old firm or Hearts games as a teenager.

An unforgettable scene of carnage as a thin line of unprotected cops tried to keep the radges on both sides from brawling.
Coins cans and bottles flying over at times.
The cops were as scared as anyone else.More than once I saw a young copper grab one of the wee guys who was being tossed about by falling bodies and huckle him out as an arrest.Just a device to get the bobby out of there.Justice!

It's hard to explain what it was like pre segregation and pre security checks.

:banana::nanafunk::nanasplit:

Barman Stanton
28-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Cave or Cowshed I have become confuddled with the passage of time.

I remember the shivers of excitement going in there for Old firm or Hearts games as a teenager.

An unforgettable scene of carnage as a thin line of unprotected cops tried to keep the radges on both sides from brawling.
Coins cans and bottles flying over at times.
The cops were as scared as anyone else.More than once I saw a young copper grab one of the wee guys who was being tossed about by falling bodies and huckle him out as an arrest.Just a device to get the bobby out of there.Justice!

It's hard to explain what it was like pre segregation and pre security checks.

:banana::nanafunk::nanasplit:

When do you think segregation kicked in?

overdrive
28-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Was The Cowshed to me. Had my first season ticket in there, probably around the time of the decent Miller side with O'Neill, McAllister, etc.

Golden Bear
28-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Defo "The Cave" in the sixties going forward.

It was always "The Cave" as far as I was concerned.

PatHead
29-11-2019, 08:05 AM
I have some great memories of the cave/cowshed. When it got going it was mental. Great atmosphere playing down the slope to a bunch of radges. Many happy days

Was talking to a mate who got all sentimental about it and described what, at the age of 13,is still one of his greatest life experiences. The last day of standing in the Cave. Hibs v Sporting Lisbon. The night Europe was reminded of the greatest club there has ever been. 6-1 to the mighty Hibees. He was right in the middle and reckons the Cave was so packed his feet didn't touch the ground for the whole match.
I can relate to that and pity you youngsters who missed out on these days. We didn't realise how lucky we were.
BTW Cave was for the wise guys, Shed for the squares.

BILLYHIBS
29-11-2019, 08:08 AM
I have some great memories of the cave/cowshed. When it got going it was mental. Great atmosphere playing down the slope to a bunch of radges. Many happy days

Was talking to a mate who got all sentimental about it and described what, at the age of 13,is still one of his greatest life experiences. The last day of standing in the Cave. Hibs v Sporting Lisbon. The night Europe was reminded of the greatest club there has ever been. 6-1 to the mighty Hibees. He was right in the middle and reckons the Cave was so packed his feet didn't touch the ground for the whole match.
I can relate to that and pity you youngsters who missed out on these days. We didn't realise how lucky we were.
BTW Cave was for the wise guys, Shed for the squares.

This!

:top marks

Forza Fred
29-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Could the cave/cowshed thing be geographical?

I was raised in the South-West of Edinburgh and we all called it the cowshed.

Or is it a question of era?

It would have been very early 80s that I called it anything other than the "seated enclosure" - it's Sunday name.

I was a native of the polar opposite north east....Craigentinny, and it was always the cowshed to me too.

Also, I don’t see it as being an age thing, as I would certainly be one of the oldest on here.

Think it just got down to the social circles you moved in.

My mob always called it the Cowshed...others obviously called it the cave.

Viva la difference!

Smiggy 7-0
29-11-2019, 09:01 PM
That was the first game my dear old dad took me to. I think I asked him "Why do we not go under that covered bit". His reply "Naw son only nutters go there".
But that game will live with me forever.

Halmyre Hibee
29-11-2019, 09:17 PM
I also called it the cave but heard it being called the cowshed as well.
I remember a Hibs v Hearts game around 1970/71 when Eric Schaedler was sitting on the ball as bottles were flying and smashing of the roof as the two sets of fans had a wee pagger.

madsen5
29-11-2019, 09:19 PM

Never ever heard it called the cave it
Was always the cow shed and I was in it for years

one day maybe...
29-11-2019, 11:42 PM
1986 The start of the Souness era at Rangers was an incredible day and probably my fondest recollection of being a regular in the cave. Poisonous atmosphere and scrapping all over the place that day. Oh and we won 2-1 courtesy of a Stevie Cowan goal.... My favourite memory of being in there :flag::flag::flag::flag:

FilipinoHibs
30-11-2019, 12:13 AM
1986 The start of the Souness era at Rangers was an incredible day and probably my fondest recollection of being a regular in the cave. Poisonous atmosphere and scrapping all over the place that day. Oh and we won 2-1 courtesy of a Stevie Cowan goal.... My favourite memory of being in there :flag::flag::flag::flag:

There was a white atmosphere that day on and off the pitch on Sunny late summer's day. Think I was in the cave that day to or maybe right next to it on the terracing.

Carheenlea
01-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Saw this footage of the terraced cave on Twitter - looked to be full of Celtic fans unfortunately

https://twitter.com/tirnaog09/status/1201070517714923522?s=21

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2019, 10:38 PM
Saw this footage of the terraced cave on Twitter - looked to be full of Celtic fans unfortunately

Celtic bassas!!!

FilipinoHibs
02-12-2019, 08:55 AM
Celtic bassas!!!

Remember the 74/1975 home game against them when we won 2-1. Similar crowds. Arrived late and was in the Dunbar end with just about all Celtic fans. They ere greetin that day as that ended 10 in a row. We blew it with two home defeats and draw with Rangers but finished second.

My recollections from the goal celebrations and signing that the Cave was mainly Hibs and the old main stand with a quite a few in the huge east terrace. Around 30,000 that day.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Remember the 74/1975 home game against them when we won 2-1. Similar crowds. Arrived late and was in the Dunbar end with just about all Celtic fans. They ere greetin that day as that ended 10 in a row. We blew it with two home defeats and draw with Rangers but finished second.

Two goals from Arthur Duncan.
Pat Stanton and Des Bremner bossed the midfield.
We brought in hard man Roy Barry to put the shackles on Dixie Deans
In true HIBS style we went down 0-2 to Killie at home the following week
We then went on an eight game unbeaten run until the end of the season drawing at home to Rangers and away to Arbroath ultimately failing at the final hurdle

FilipinoHibs
02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Two goals from Arthur Duncan.
Pat Stanton and Des Bremner bossed the midfield.
We brought in hard man Roy Barry to put the shackles on Dixie Deans
In true HIBS style we went down 0-2 to Killie at home the following week
We then went on an eight game unbeaten run until the end of the season drawing at home to Rangers and away to Arbroath ultimately failing at the final hurdle

After Killie defeat lost to Morton away.

Roy Barry was my landlord. Always paid the rent on time😳

Mick O'Rourke
02-12-2019, 12:28 PM

Nice memory lane clip there.
However closer look would not suggest The Cave was "full" of Celtic fans. :greengrin
Although it would be easier than other supports for those fans to get in there (colours).

The away support for Celtic during that era was incredible though, as it was at home.

My faither took me and my brother Billy to Celtic Park for a SC replay V Hearts on a Wednesday night (mid 60s).
72.000 was the attendance.
It would have been more, as many youngsters could get in free in those days.
I don't imagine we paid!

"gies a lift over, mister. ....please!"

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2019, 01:17 PM
After Killie defeat lost to Morton away.

Roy Barry was my landlord. Always paid the rent on time😳
Nope!

We beat Morton 1-0 away

Ally Macleods first goal for the first team

Morton missed a second half penalty

Yorkshire HFC
02-12-2019, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=Mick O'Rourke;6005080]Nice memory lane clip there.
However closer look would not suggest The Cave was "full" of Celtic fans. :greengrin
Although it would be easier than other supports for those fans to get in there (colours).

The away support for Celtic during that era was incredible though, as it was at home.

It doesn't look like there were many Hibs fans at that game!

A big crowd though - as they say, where did all the money go? It wasn't spent on the players or the facilities, that's pretty clear.

I started going from the mid 70s and my memories growing up are of crowds of between 3k and 5k for all games except Hearts, Celtic and Rangers. For all that we critisise the Glasgow teams, they must have heavily financed Scottish football for long periods - especially when gate receipts were split 50 / 50 between the teams for all games.

Hopefully changed days now.

The Pointer
02-12-2019, 01:45 PM
I lived in Buckstone, my mates came from Clerry and the west side and we all called it 'the Cave'.

Mick O'Rourke
02-12-2019, 02:50 PM
I lived in Buckstone, my mates came from Clerry and the west side and we all called it 'the Cave'.

Most certainly Hibernian fans from Clerry(Jungle guys!) back late sixties would have known it as The Cave.

It was an era of scheme/street gangs and Hibs fans from those gangs would (mostly!)put differences aside when attending games.(home and away)

Unity is Strength:greengrin

I recall one not very imaginative chant.

" 1 2 3 4 5 ,if you want to stay alive !

Keep out The Cave !! :greengrin

:flag: