PDA

View Full Version : Touch The Ball

Kojock
24-11-2019, 08:37 PM
I’ve been watching Hibs home and away for over fifty years now, yet in all that time of standing / sitting on the terraces I could count on one hand how many times I’ve touched the match ball when it’s came into the crowd.

I still remember how excited I was when I was a wee boy and threw the ball back to my hero Pat Stanton. Not sure if Pat will remember it though 😂 😂

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2019, 08:43 PM
There was a pre-season friendly against Raith during Yogi’s reign- got called off after half time. It was memorable for me for two reasons:

1) One of the floodlights failed as truly
biblical proportions of rain cascaded down and the streets were like streams and drains surging...

2) in the warm up a wayward shot (there were
Many) in the shooting drills was met with a fan squarely heading it back into the pitch - rightly drew a round of applause.

Allant1981
24-11-2019, 08:44 PM
I hit the ball out the way against malmo, was heading straight for the mrs face, if I hadnt got there first id have got a beating off her!!

Killiehibbie
24-11-2019, 08:46 PM
I could've touched the O'Leary penalty if i was 12 feet taller. 4 times that I can remember throwing the ball back, 3 of them from an almost empty seated enclosure.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Stranraer away in the season of adventure. Bounced right into my hands and I passed it to my mate Stevie to toss back. Bet that **** wouldn’t even been so thoughtful. Only ****ing time it’s happened home, away, reserves, in 45 years.

24-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Never happened to me in 30 years

DaveF
24-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Never caught the ball and cant really remember even getting a slight touch but I must have done at some point as the ball was often belted into the terracing and we stood quite close to the front.

Not much chance now though unless someone really hoofs a clearance into the west upper!

wookie70
24-11-2019, 09:07 PM
I'm about 45 years watching Hibs and never touched the ball. I prefer a higher vantage point so might have touched it countless times if I had been fooled into supporting our lesser neighbours

Captain Trips
24-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Didn't touch ball but away to Stranraer when we got relegated in Duffy era Tony Rougier got clattered into the advertising boards and he reached up to help get up and I obliged.

mim
24-11-2019, 09:19 PM
There was a pre-season friendly against Raith during Yogi’s reign- got called off after half time. It was memorable for me for two reasons:

1) One of the floodlights failed as truly
biblical proportions of rain cascaded down and the streets were like streams and drains surging...

2) in the warm up a wayward shot (there were
Many) in the shooting drills was met with a fan squarely heading it back into the pitch - rightly drew a round of applause.

This game was in Kirkcaldy, which was flooded by that downpour. Most amusing when the fan headed the ball back :thumbsup:

HendoDelivered
24-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Never happened to me but my Dad punched the ball back into play against Celtic one time, think it was 2005/2006 era. I was next to him in the old East.

jakedance
24-11-2019, 09:22 PM
I’ve got a good one. I’ve touched the match ball once in 30 years. Gary Mackay (I think) hit a shot over the bar at Tynecastle and I palmed it away from smacking me in the face. We won that particular match, courtesy of a Gordon Hunter strike. I’m part of history.

Topographic Hibby
24-11-2019, 09:23 PM
During 80/81 Div.1 season, a few of us got the train to Falkirk to watch Hibs play East Stirling.

We were at the fence down by the pitchside. At some point in the second half, my mate slipped over the fence and stood on the pitch side, but still leaning against the fence talking to us. No stewards or police challenged him. A wayward shot/header/clearance came straight for him. He trapped the ball, got it to his favourite foot and chipped it into the arms of the player coming to get it. Cool as **** :agree:

Still nobody challenged him as to why he was standing that side of the fence!!

IberianHibernian
24-11-2019, 09:30 PM
I could've touched the O'Leary penalty if i was 12 feet taller. 4 times that I can remember throwing the ball back, 3 of them from an almost empty seated enclosure.I was also in the Cave the night Pierce O`Leary missed his penalty . From same area ( not seat , noone had their own seat there ) I remember being almost knocked out or worse by a wind - assisted shot from half way line by Derek Spalding and being saved by net by spectacular goals by Brian Rice ( great player who deserves a lot more recognition ) and Gordon Rae ( both league games v Dundee United perhaps ) .

Peevemor
24-11-2019, 09:31 PM
May 1982. Last game of the season away to Morton (and Ally Macleod's last game for Hibs). I chucked the ball back after a sclaffed shot in a 0-0 draw.

Andy74
24-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Steve Archibald knocked a bovril out my hand back in the day. Was walking up the steps, didn’t see it coming.

LustForLeith
25-11-2019, 06:07 AM
My son threw the ball to Scott Allan on Saturday who I think threw it to Naismith for a throw in. If Hibs has scored from the resulting set piece my son was claiming an assist.

Fuzzywuzzy
25-11-2019, 06:46 AM
Seen a fair few of the support get skelped in the coupon in the FFL. Does that count as touching the ball?

Future17
25-11-2019, 07:58 AM
During 80/81 Div.1 season, a few of us got the train to Falkirk to watch Hibs play East Stirling.

We were at the fence down by the pitchside. At some point in the second half, my mate slipped over the fence and stood on the pitch side, but still leaning against the fence talking to us. No stewards or police challenged him. A wayward shot/header/clearance came straight for him. He trapped the ball, got it to his favourite foot and chipped it into the arms of the player coming to get it. Cool as **** :agree:

Still nobody challenged him as to why he was standing that side of the fence!!

Challenged him? I'm amazed we didn't bring him on as a sub!

Onceinawhile
25-11-2019, 10:17 AM
I sit in the FF Lower and prior to the games my eldest likes to go down the bottom of the stand and try and return the balls to the players when their wayward shots end up in the stand. Before the 5-5 game, he had managed to get a few and I was texting the Mrs to let him know he probably wouldn't shut up about it, when I heard a shout of "Heads" looked up just in time to see the ball skelp me right on the side of the head. Thankfully it didn't hurt too badly.

Some point last season though, I got in a wee bit later than usual and the seats in front of me were empty. Turned out one of the boys had been hit with the ball in the warm up and his dad had taken him downstairs to calm down. They hadn't been in their seat for another two minutes when the other boy got hit by Daryl Horgan.

Unfortunately the had to leave the ground as the two boys were inconsolable. On a brighter note, Daryl Horgan went round their house that week with a signed strip, so that was nice.

Sudds_1
25-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Ah....so their cunning plan worked then! 🙄😁😁

Groathillgrump
25-11-2019, 10:57 AM
Next year will be my 50th year of going to fitba' matches and I've never touched the ball yet.

The nearest I've got to it was last season when I went along to an Edinburgh City match and the ball was heading straight for me but a guy in front of me jumped up to pluck it out of the air. I was raging! :greengrin

weecounty hibby
25-11-2019, 06:55 PM
The only time I ever managed to get my hands on the ball was a game at ER v Hearts when Malofeev(sp) was their manager. I used to sit about ten rows behind the away dugout. The ball came to me, I caught the ball and hoyed it towards Malofeev. Sconed him square on the back of the napper!!! I often wonder if it was that blow to the head was what turned him mental. All those years of playing hooker at rugby and throwing in at lineouts came together perfectly in that one moment!!!

bigwheel
25-11-2019, 06:59 PM
The only time I ever managed to get my hands on the ball was a game at ER v Hearts when Malofeev(sp) was their manager. I used to sit about ten rows behind the away dugout. The ball came to me, I caught the ball and hoyed it towards Malofeev. Sconed him square on the back of the napper!!! I often wonder if it was that blow to the head was what turned him mental. All those years of playing hooker at rugby and throwing in at lineouts came together perfectly in that one moment!!!

That was the 81% game I think ....you likely had the ball longer than a number of their players that night [emoji23]

Scouse Hibee
25-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Have never touched a ball in over 45 years of attending football matches.

Skol
25-11-2019, 07:26 PM
I could've touched the O'Leary penalty if i was 12 feet taller. 4 times that I can remember throwing the ball back, 3 of them from an almost empty seated enclosure.

I mustve been a few rows behind you as the ball whistled between my arms raised in celebration

cookin_on_gaz
25-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Mark Oxley smacked me square in the face during the warm at Alloa a few years ago. I had a ball shaped bruise for weeks but he did apologise so all was good. Cant remember the score though so probably had a bit of concussion too.

Sent from my AGS-W09 using Tapatalk

bod
25-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Caught then signed the match ball from behind the goals in the inter toto game away from home ,can’t mind the year but dalgliesh was playing or on the bench, we won the 1st leg comfortably making the away fixture a formality.:flag:

Carheenlea
25-11-2019, 08:06 PM
Got to hold onto the match ball up at Tannadice a few years back for about 2 minutes. Ball came into enclosure and was all set to throw it back to whoever was taking the throw, but the trainer had come on to attend with an injured player so was ready with ball above my head to fire back but nobody was forthcoming so held it under my arm for a bit before Sol Bamba came to take the throw and I duly lobbed it to him.
One to regale the grandkids with in the future.

HibeesLittleHel
25-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Never touched the ball at all but was standing close to a lad who took the full force of a Callum Milne clearance in the face when Dunfermline. The laddie went down like a felled tree. I think his name was Mitre. 😂😂😂😱