PDA

View Full Version : Famous Five Gilzean Cartoon - Is it an original?

hibby6270
24-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Recently purchased this framed picture on eBay “for a song” just because I liked the look of it.
I’m aware of Gilzean’s style of drawing and whilst this wasn’t being passed off as one, a wee bit of research since buying it, suggests it may have been sketched by the man himself. My main doubt is there is no signature on the picture and I believe a Gilzean usually added his name in capitals to his work?

So, my question is to the ‘expert’ collectors on here, do any of you think it’s genuine or merely a print of an original?

Cheers guys/gals.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WDQ6ARZccUeb2Kma6

EastThomasSTboy
27-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Hello

I saw this on Ebay as well and I would suggest the paper was overlaid on a "bigger" Harry Gilzean original Drawing, and a "poor" attempt at tracing the image ensued, making a smaller , more compact copy.
Its actually a very poor attempt at copying Harrys work (something I tried to do for years!!!!https://www.hibs.net/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhDwAPANQAAAAAAOLeAPn0AL /v8DAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAACH/C05FVFNDQVBFMi4wAwEAAAAh QQBMgAfACwAAAAADwAPAAAFROAnikBZjuhXDoPgnijAuvQ7ynU uAGRb0r dqrUDAI0vnCAQoDGPumgw6gwic8YAL2vqMnkqF3P81N6i39T0C 06puqkQACH5BAEyAB8ALAMABAAHAAkAAAUW4CcIX/kBJVoGq m cCyOYwrcaqDrIQAh/ntUaGlzIGFuaW1hdGVkIEdJRiBmaWxlIHdhcyBjb25zdHJ1Y3R lZCB1c2luZyBVbGVhZCBHSUYgQW5pbWF0b3IsIHZpc2l0IHVzI GF0IGh0dHA6Ly93d3cudWxlYWQuY29tIHRvIGZpbmQgb3V0IG1 vcmUuAVVTU1BDTVQAOw==), probably by a youngster, looking to do a drawing for his own scrapbook.

Probably wasnt worth the Postage.
:flag:GGTTH.

1 8 7 5
27-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Hello

I saw this on Ebay as well and I would suggest the paper was overlaid on a "bigger" Harry Gilzean original Drawing, and a "poor" attempt at tracing the image ensued, making a smaller , more compact copy.
Its actually a very poor attempt at copying Harrys work (something I tried to do for years!!!!https://www.hibs.net/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhDwAPANQAAAAAAOLeAPn0AL /v8DAwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAACH/C05FVFNDQVBFMi4wAwEAAAAh QQBMgAfACwAAAAADwAPAAAFROAnikBZjuhXDoPgnijAuvQ7ynU uAGRb0r dqrUDAI0vnCAQoDGPumgw6gwic8YAL2vqMnkqF3P81N6i39T0C 06puqkQACH5BAEyAB8ALAMABAAHAAkAAAUW4CcIX/kBJVoGq m cCyOYwrcaqDrIQAh/ntUaGlzIGFuaW1hdGVkIEdJRiBmaWxlIHdhcyBjb25zdHJ1Y3R lZCB1c2luZyBVbGVhZCBHSUYgQW5pbWF0b3IsIHZpc2l0IHVzI GF0IGh0dHA6Ly93d3cudWxlYWQuY29tIHRvIGZpbmQgb3V0IG1 vcmUuAVVTU1BDTVQAOw==), probably by a youngster, looking to do a drawing for his own scrapbook.

yes, i think thats correct.

hibby6270
27-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Hello

Its actually a very poor attempt at copying Harrys work (something I tried to do for years!!!!, probably by a youngster, looking to do a drawing for his own scrapbook.

Thanks for the confirmation G. Your sage advice always appreciated. :greengrin