PDA

View Full Version : Josh Vela

Northernhibee
24-11-2019, 07:20 AM
He’s had a very hard time from the support and tbh that’s not for me to say rightly or wrongly, but I think we need to wipe the slate clean with him and see what he can do under Jack Ross.

We’ve now started to see what the previously much maligned Newell and Doidge bring to the team that a lot of people didn’t see coming and I hope that Vela can be another to prove people wrong.

For whatever reason Heckingbottom couldn’t get the best out of his signings - I’m looking forward to see what Vela who came with a bit of hype behind him can do.

Forza Fred
24-11-2019, 07:22 AM
He’s had a very hard time from the support and tbh that’s not for me to say rightly or wrongly, but I think we need to wipe the slate clean with him and see what he can do under Jack Ross.

We’ve now started to see what the previously much maligned Newell and Doidge bring to the team that a lot of people didn’t see coming and I hope that Vela can be another to prove people wrong.

For whatever reason Heckingbottom couldn’t get the best out of his signings - I’m looking forward to see what Vela who came with a bit of hype behind him can do.

I think everybody would be delighted if he turned into Pat Stanton Mark 2, but it is all up to him.

BILLYHIBS
Who?

CloudSquall
I think the fact he hasn't made the bench for the past two weeks says it all about Vela.

Viva_Palmeiras
24-11-2019, 07:25 AM
ER can be an unforgiving place to players that are short on confidence.

CyberSauzee
24-11-2019, 07:31 AM
I think the fact he hasn't made the bench for the past two weeks says it all about Vela.

Exactly what I was thinking. Gone in January

WhileTheChief..
24-11-2019, 07:33 AM
Maybe he should prove to us he’s a player, the fans haven’t been wrong at all.

In fact, if the board had listed to the fans sooner we might have had a few more wins this season.

green day
24-11-2019, 07:37 AM
ER can be an unforgiving place to players that are short on confidence.

OK, but playing devils advocate for a minute - why have his performances away from home been similarly poor?

If a player of his reputed quality cant make the bench, then there is something wrong.

Since452
24-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Clean slate for everyone imo. Newell and Doidge have pushed on, so can he.

Brightside
24-11-2019, 07:40 AM
I expect him to be away in January.

Michael
24-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Gone in January

Maybe on loan. He signed a 3 year deal so he's going to be here a while yet.

Diclonius
24-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Clearly a good player based on his record, but needs to adapt to Scottish football. I'm not sure he'll be given the chance.

Pretty Boy
24-11-2019, 07:54 AM
The problem for Vela is I just don't see where he fits in.

Halberg is a cut above and if he's fit the deeper lying role is his. Slivka, not without his faults, brings more energy to one of the central positions. As previously pointed out Newell has kicked on the last 2 games and deserves his place. Finally you have the advanced role and there's no way he's getting ahead of both Allan and Mallan in the pecking order for that one. You have Mallan and Horgan who can fill in either the Newell or Slivka role ahead of him and if we go 1 up top with 2 sitting off then he wouldn't suit any of those roles either.

I had high hopes for him but sometimes it just doesn't work out for some players. He gets a clean slate from me if he plays but I just don't see where he gets that chance in the short to medium term.

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-11-2019, 07:57 AM
There were times I thought there was a player there.

He’s keen to get in the box and get forward.

He’s just not the DM we are looking for him to be, maybe higher up? Him or Slivka?

I thought Slivka was good yesterday for the most but at times looked a bit like a lost boy. Good experience for him though with a run in the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BoltonHibee
24-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Salford City were interested in him prior to us, maybe off there in January?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3pm
24-11-2019, 07:58 AM
I’d be attempting a swap for Dylan.

Since452
24-11-2019, 08:02 AM
I thought he was excellent against Celtic at Easter Road. He's way down the pecking order now especially with Slivka and Hallberg playing so well. Newell ahead of him now too in the middle

Dashing Bob S
24-11-2019, 08:07 AM
The problem for Vela is I just don't say where he fits in.

Halberg is a cut above and if he's fit the deeper lying role is his. Slivka, not without his faults, brings more energy to one of the central positions. As previously pointed out Newell has kicked on the last 2 games and deserves his place. Finally you have the advanced role and there's no way he's getting ahead of both Allan and Mallan in the pecking order for that one. You have Mallan and Horgan who can fill in either the Newell or Slivka role ahead of him and if we go 1 up top with 2 sitting off then he wouldn't suit any of those roles either.

I had high hopes for him but sometimes it just doesn't work out for some players. He gets a clean slate from me if he plays but I just don't see where he gets that chance in the short to medium term.

Precisely this. For us to give him a second chance he first has to get the jersey. I fear both the boo boys and the forgiving souls may have to wait till injuries and suspensions kick in before enacting their respective Velanian psychodramas.

hibee-boys
24-11-2019, 08:17 AM
He needs to have watched Hallbergs and Slivkas performances in the last 2 games to give him an idea of what is required playing in a Hibs midfield. From what I've seen he offers nowhere near the drive, athleticism or skill of these 2. Delighted if he came back and proved me wrong but I doubt it. Needs to be punted or put out on loan in January.

JimBHibees
24-11-2019, 08:18 AM
I expect him to be away in January.

Which would be best for all concerned I think. Thought he looked promising early doors but has regressed a bit in later games he played. Perceived lack of effort on occasions haven't helped jogging back then getting nick for winner in the Derby and being skinned in semi final and again jogging after player. Fans will forgive mistakes if full effort is shown imo. In saying that may be like others and show more now Hecky gone.

SMAXXA
24-11-2019, 08:23 AM
I don’t think he’s been great at all but equally I don’t think he’s been as bad as some have made him out to be. As has been said there are examples in the team such as Newall who is getting a clean slate and vela should be afforded as much. We need depth in the squad and having the likes of Mcgregor, Gray, Murray, vela, Middleton, Bogdan etx certainly gives us that in addition to the match day squad.

J-C
24-11-2019, 08:33 AM
Maybe on loan. He signed a 3 year deal so he's going to be here a while yet.

Shouldn't make any difference, we got him for nothing, so it'll just be a case of getting a club to sign him for nothing and pay him a similar or higher wage.

Baldy Foghorn
24-11-2019, 08:38 AM
The problem for Vela is I just don't say where he fits in.

Spot on PB

Michael
24-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Shouldn't make any difference, we got him for nothing, so it'll just be a case of getting a club to sign him for nothing and pay him a similar or higher wage.

We'll see what happens, but it's probably going to be difficult to convince another club to take him for a similar wage when he's not doing very well for us.

SMAXXA
24-11-2019, 08:40 AM
We'll see what happens, but it's probably going to be difficult to convince another club to take him for a similar wage when he's not doing very well for us.

Plenty clubs down south would take him for free on the strength of his Bolton time id imagine

J-C
24-11-2019, 08:45 AM

What Smaxxa says, Vela is a well known player down south and would fit into a lot of teams plans, no fee a they'd pay more than we're paying.

Eyrie
24-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Clubs down south pay higher wages than we do anyway, so I can't see that being a stumbling block.

However for now he has a clean sheet despite a shockingly poor start to the season. If he gets his act together then he can earn himself a regular starting spot.

If not, then he can find a club down south and we can use his wages to get either a proper defensive midfielder or another box to box type.

SouthMoroccoStu
24-11-2019, 10:23 AM
I’d be attempting a swap for Dylan.

Sunderland are daft but they’re not that stupid

I think everyone has a clean slate under the Ross Empire

If the guy has the right attitude and applies himself there is a player in there

Steve88
24-11-2019, 10:27 AM

No. If you're brought to this club you step it up and put in the performances from day 1.

Vela has been a consistent starter and a consistent under-performer.

This clubs ambition is top 4, EUROPA and cup semi/finals. No room in this club for players who can't cut it and especially no room/time to give players second chances who have already been given time

I might be more direct and harsher than the average supporter on here but we need to raise our standards to start achieving these goals - unfortunately this requires some tough, somewhat harsh decisions.

bingo70
24-11-2019, 10:30 AM
I don’t think Vela is as bad as he’s looked so far.

I think taking him out the firing line for a bit is a smart move but I don’t think it means his Hibs career can’t be saved.

The Spaceman
24-11-2019, 10:33 AM
He came in as Heckingbottom's flagship new signing of the summer where we had a very large budget in comparison to the past decade. I can understand why he has come under particular scrutiny, but let's give him a chance and a clean slate. There is very probably a good player there.

Weegreenman
24-11-2019, 11:05 AM
I’m happy to give him a clean slate like everyone else will get under JR. I think it’s only fair.

Hibee Mac
24-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Get rid, asap.

I've not been keeping tabs but how has Ojo been doing at Aberdeen? Seeing as Vela was clearly the 2nd choice behind him.

Hibbyradge
24-11-2019, 11:25 AM
WTF is this "clean slate" that everyone is on about?

The boy's not up to it.

Giving him a piece of roofing material, regardless of it's cleanliness, isn't going to change anything.

And although I'm attempting to make a joke, I'm actually not joking.

makaveli1875
24-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Get rid, asap.

I've not been keeping tabs but how has Ojo been doing at Aberdeen? Seeing as Vela was clearly the 2nd choice behind him.

Ojo been injured most of the season , he looked pretty pish before he got injured . Whoever scouted the pair of them should be sacked

Northernhibee
24-11-2019, 11:28 AM
WTF is this "clean slate" that everyone is on about?

The boy's not up to it.

Giving him a piece of roofing material, regardless of it's cleanliness, isn't going to change anything.

And although I'm attempting to make a joke, I'm actually not joking.

Yet we had people on here now who said Doidge and Newell were highland league level and they’ve gone all quiet and shy.

Hibee Mac
24-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Ojo been injured most of the season , he looked pretty pish before he got injured . Whoever scouted the pair of them should be sacked

Cheers. Ah well, sounds like we're not missing much then!

hibby rae
24-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Is the story for Vela not Heckingbottom pushed for it against the advice of the recruitment team? My brother mentioned that yesterday so I assume he saw that on here

Phil MaGlass
24-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Yet we had people on here now who said Doidge and Newell were highland league level and they’ve gone all quiet and shy.

In defence of most they have come back on and said they may have been wrong or the signs are getting better..... maybe PH had an eye for a player but just didnae know how to play them?

see heckingbottoms signings thread

J-C
24-11-2019, 11:38 AM
Is the story for Vela not Heckingbottom pushed for it against the advice of the recruitment team? My brother mentioned that yesterday so I assume he saw that on here

That's the story many people have heard, seemingly 2 players were flagged as not good enough. Vela had been scouted under Lennon stewardship as he knew him from Bolton presumably, Boltonhibs from this board didn't have a great deal of good things to say about him and the Bolton fans sites weren't overly complimentary about his lifestyle choices. He may well have been scouted for a while but that doesn't mean he's good enough, well scouted or not I just don't think he's good enough, new manager or not, he's had a week to show in training that he's good enough to be at least in the squad and again nowhere near it.

hibby rae
24-11-2019, 11:45 AM
That's the story many people have heard, seemingly 2 players were flagged as not good enough. Vela had been scouted under Lennon stewardship as he knew him from Bolton presumably, Boltonhibs from this board didn't have a great deal of good things to say about him and the Bolton fans sites weren't overly complimentary about his lifestyle choices. He may well have been scouted for a while but that doesn't mean he's good enough, well scouted or not I just don't think he's good enough, new manager or not, he's had a week to show in training that he's good enough to be at least in the squad and again nowhere near it.

I'd agree, I think it's telling that May dropped him completely as I imagine he would be very familiar with him so mustn't have rated him either.

Hibbyradge
24-11-2019, 11:47 AM

True.

I'm prepared to go all quiet and shy if Vela shows he's got something about him.

But why would it take a new manager for someone in his playing position to show that there's a real player in there? :dunno:

Wilson
24-11-2019, 11:59 AM

To be fair, folk on here are only calling what we see. I'm not a coach or a scout. I've just been following hibs a long time. We've had some great players over the years and I didn't count many of the current crop in with them.

I'm certainly not going to watch hyped up players underperform consistently and hail them as world beaters. Who is? I agree with giving everyone a clean slate and some are starting to perform. Vela is yet to get a chance under Ross.

Perhaps though, while everyone is getting a clean slate, we could apply that on here and let old arguments go? Let's look forward.