PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 23 11 19)

Jonnyboy
23-11-2019, 06:46 PM
A first game in charge for Jack Ross and pre match we were speculating as to what changes he might make in personnel. My view was that, given the performance and result against St Johnstone the last time out, there should be no changes unless caused by injury. It was no surprise then that the same squad, including the substitutes, was selected for what would prove a stern test against a very good Motherwell side.

With the rain tipping down it was Hibs that started the game, shooting towards the South Stand or as I prefer to call it, the Dunbar end. The only fans in there today were those supporting the visitors and even though they were not great in number they got right behind their team and made plenty of noise in doing so.

The home side opened on the attack and a fierce drive by Scott Allan had Gillespie in the Motherwell goal diving low to his right to keep the ball out. For their part, Motherwell enjoyed possession and were causing problems down both flanks with the full backs exposed by Hibs deploying a narrow midfield. It was a move down the left flank that secured the visitors the opening goal when Hylton skipped past a couple of tackles and struck a shot that beat Maxwell but came off the base of the post. Unfortunately for Hibs, Liam Polworth was quickest to react as he drove the ball into an empty net. This wasn’t the start an expectant home crowd had wanted but Hibs reacted well to the setback and a number of excellent interchanges saw the home side on the attack in search of an equaliser, coming close when a Newell free kick was headed just over by Doidge.

It wasn’t long before the Hibs number 9 added to his three goals from the St. Johnstone game as a stunning Kamberi pass released Newell on the left side of the box. As Gillespie tried to narrow the angle, Newell shot across him and whilst it looked as though the effort might fly wide, Doidge bundled the ball over the line. It might be considered a scrappy goal, but it was an important goal nonetheless.

It was all Hibs at this point and Hallberg was unlucky to see a fine effort drift wide of the post before a textbook Scott Allan pass carved open the ‘Well defence allowing Naismith to square the ball to the waiting Kamberi who jinked away from his marker before lashing the ball high into the net. By this time we’d only played twenty five minutes but some of the play from Hibs was exceptional and must surely have put a smile on the face of Jack Ross. To be fair though, Motherwell also enjoyed some decent possession and Maxwell was a relieved keeper when a late effort from the visitors cleared the bar.

At half time the warm fuzzy feeling of leading 2-1 was enhanced by the news from Rugby Park that Hearts were getting hammered 3-0. Childish, I know but the combined effect of leading and Hearts struggling was uplifting on a cold and very wet afternoon.

To be fair to Motherwell they were the better side in the second half if only in terms of possession but as I’m always happy to remind anyone that will listen, possession alone does not win games. At times it was like a cup tie with play flowing from end to end and I have to say I was astonished when referee John Beaton failed to award the visitors a penalty when Porteous flattened Polworth in the box. It looked pretty clear cut to me but let’s be honest here, Beaton is not very good at his job and for once, Hibs benefited from that fact.

The visitors laid siege to the Hibs goal but I thought we defended exceptionally well with Porteous dominant in the air, dealing with endless numbers of crosses and the rest of the team doing their bit to deny Motherwell an equaliser. I don’t recall Maxwell having to make many saves although one comes to mind when a vicious effort from about fifteen yards saw the keeper push the ball clear which was a good call in my opinion because any effort to hold the shot might have proved costly.

With around twenty minutes to go the tiring Kamberi was replaced by Boyle and I confess I was slightly surprised that he was deployed in a forward and central role because the vast majority of play from Motherwell came down their left hand side. As it turned out, Boyle was moved there following the introduction of Horgan and later Mallan. Horgan had only been on the pitch a couple of minutes when a fine pass from Stevenson set him free on the left. As defenders scurried across to challenge him, Horgan rifled the ball beyond Gillespie and into the far corner to seal the points for Hibs.

In the dying moments, Hibs might have added a couple more when a cracking strike by Mallan hit the base of the post and rolled towards the onrushing Boyle but he got it all wrong and hit the chance high and wide. Boyle was involved again when he sent a fierce low ball across the six yard area but Hallberg, who had bust a gut to get into the box, just failed to make the contact that surely would have provided a fourth goal.

I have to say here that I thought as a support we were brilliant today. Positive encouragement followed us going behind and in the last ten or fifteen minutes the singing and chanting was immense. We’ve come through a difficult time, Heckingbottom having failed to give us a winning team, but confidence is huge in football and back to back wins will boost that for what looks to be a very testing run of fixtures in December.

The players

Maxwell – He had no chance with the goal but as I said earlier he had very few direct shots to deal with. One bizarre moment occurred when a ballboy in the Dunbar end took an age to return the ball to Maxwell for a goal kick. Step forward John Beaton and I kid you not I thought he was going to book the ballboy for time wasting! As it was, yellow was shown to Maxwell and I’ll bet it was for something he said.

Naismith – There were times when he struggled a bit to contain Hylton but over the piece I thought he had a fine game – though his fresh air swipe when eight yards from goal was a howler.

Porteous – Ryan continues to impress and although he’s sometimes a bit naïve he was an absolute colossus today dealing with any high ball into the box. There were other contenders but he edges my man of the match award.

Hanlon – For me, Paul is beginning to regain the form that seemed to have deserted him a bit earlier in the season. His reading of the game is excellent and was particularly evident in the second half today.

Stevenson – I think Lewis would be the first to admit that he struggled at times with the trickery of Cole but he stuck to his task manfully and delivered an excellent pass for Horgan’s goal.

Slivka – I know he has his doubters and I know he messed up a couple of times today but for me his negatives were far outweighed by his positives. I lost count of the number of times that he was the player to close down an opponent around the edge of our box.

Hallberg – Another excellent ninety minutes from him today. He is tireless, always available and pops up in both boxes pretty regularly. You could say he’s the player we all hoped Vela would be.

Allan – Scotty works his socks off and although a couple of his trademark passes failed to reach their target, many more of them did and his through ball to Naismith for Kamberi’s goal was worth the admission money alone.

Newell – Although there were spells when he didn’t seem to get involved I thought that today’s display together with the one in Perth have convinced me there’s a player in there and hopefully Jack Ross’ coaching can add to his skills.

Kamberi – Once again I thought Flo had a fine game and is definitely forming a good partnership with Doidge. At one point I thought he’d damaged a hamstring but thankfully, not. Great skill and patience when scoring his goal he merited the standing ovation given to him when he was subbed.

Doidge – Although BBC Sportsound were calling into question whether Doidge scored or it was an own goal as the ball struck Gallagher on the way in, my view is that his effort was on target anyway and that takes him to four goals in two games. He won loads of headers and worked his socks off too. Long may that continue.

Boyle – Another important spell off the bench as he works on regaining full match fitness, I thought he should have scored when Mallan’s effort came off the post but maybe I’m being a bit too harsh on him.

Horgan – I’m not a fan but credit where credit is due. His pace caused them problems and his goal was very well taken.

Mallan – Stevie only got about ten minutes including the time added on but in that time he hit the post, set Boyle free on the right twice and tracked back well when needed.

Jack Ross – I listened to his interview and found it refreshing after the wittering we used to get from Heckingbottom. He will be pleased with the outcome but, more importantly, he’s now seen his players, in the heat of battle, showing great resolve to carve out a win.

The fans – I’ve waxed lyrical earlier on about our contribution to proceedings but I’ll do so again here. We got right behind the team when it mattered and I’m absolutely sure they will have been aware of that.

John Beaton – Another inept performance by another inept official.

04Sauzee
23-11-2019, 06:53 PM
I love Porteous but didn't actually think he had his bed game today.
I thought Hallberg was outstanding and Newell had his best game yet in a Hibs shirt carrying on from his performance in Perth last time out.

thegaffer12
23-11-2019, 06:55 PM
When you have a choice of 9 or so players for man of the match, that's when you know we played well.

greenlex
23-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Re Maxwells booking. I had just said he was being very clever going over the hoardings when the ball boy was retrieving the ball. Tremendous running down the clock tactic. He knew what he was doing as did Beaton who rightly pulled him up. The booking as you said must have been for a verbal as little time was wasted after the chat.

kaimendhibs
23-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Great report but im convinced Mallan played Daryl in for his goal

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

jws1875
23-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Think doidge had his best game in a Hibs shirt this season. Yeah he scored a hatrick last time out but his work rate & general play today got my MOTM.

Peevemor
23-11-2019, 07:23 PM

Sent from my SM-G973F using TapatalkHorgan's goal went Hallberg/Horgan/Mallan/Horgan - goal.

Doidge's part in Flo's goal should also be acknowledged. Naismith's low cross was cleverly laid off to Flo by Doidge.

wookie70
23-11-2019, 07:25 PM
From my seat Doidge's "goal" was an OG. He had a good game today but he could have had a hatrick with a good headed chance, the "goal" and then the one in the second half where he blasted it at the keeper when any composure would have seen an easy finish. Another one of Heck's signings along with Naismith, Newell and Hallberg who all look like they may be very useful additions.

Porteous played well but was very lucky not to concede the pen. I thought Stevenson was very good today albeit has was dribbled past a couple of times.

Good fighting performance that wasn't that dissimilar to the last two draws we have had at ER where we had some excellent spells but were also outplayed for good chunks of the game. On this occasion we got the rub of the green with Doidge's goal, the pen decision and some shocking finishing and decision making from Motherwell in the last third. Small margins and hopefully Jack will be a lucky as well as a good manager.

cmcd
23-11-2019, 07:28 PM

I thought that too

Peevemor
23-11-2019, 07:36 PM
Definitely Mallan.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/d58df71aadf70f4a14a3afa0e2075cb2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/f2ba13578e1a920c1f3e8a4258dc538a.jpg

CMurdoch
23-11-2019, 07:40 PM
Naismith didn't enjoy marking the fast and skillful Hylton who led him a merry dance.
Was much happier marking his replacement Seedorf.
Good player Hylton was.

The incident involving Porteous in the 2nd half appeared just outside the box. The guy went past him and Porteous pulled him back.
At the time my worry was that Porteous was going to get a 2nd yellow.
Fortunately, Beaton seemed to miss the incident.

Motherwell were pushing hard for an equaliser in the 2nd half and the substitutions almost guaranteed that one of the 2 sides would score in the last 10 minutes. Fortunately our opponents over committed and a wonderful counter attack resulted in a 3rd Hibs goal.

A good win and effective resistance shown in the face of a determined 2nd half Motherwell push.

Shrekko
23-11-2019, 07:41 PM
Cracking contribution from Mallan in his brief appearance.

Not bad for a player who I’ve read multiple times this week ‘contributes nothing’.

Think the fact we have guys like that to come off the bench - and Horgan, says we’ve got a much better squad than we thought a few weeks ago.

Topographic Hibby
23-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Great run down.

And a plus one from me on "The Dunbar End" - that's what I call it too!! :thumbsup:

Squealing pig
23-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Everyone played great today , fans had a spring in their step , let’s keep our top 6 status with the view to kick on , exciting times

kaimendhibs
23-11-2019, 07:58 PM
From my seat Doidge's "goal" was an OG. He had a good game today but he could have had a hatrick with a good headed chance, the "goal" and then the one in the second half where he blasted it at the keeper when any composure would have seen an easy finish. Another one of Heck's signings along with Naismith, Newell and Hallberg who all look like they may be very useful additions.

Porteous played well but was very lucky not to concede the pen. I thought Stevenson was very good today albeit has was dribbled past a couple of times.

Good fighting performance that wasn't that dissimilar to the last two draws we have had at ER where we had some excellent spells but were also outplayed for good chunks of the game. On this occasion we got the rub of the green with Doidge's goal, the pen decision and some shocking finishing and decision making from Motherwell in the last third. Small margins and hopefully Jack will be a lucky as well as a good manager.Dont think could call that an OG. It was going in and hit the guy on the line

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Definitely Mallan.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/d58df71aadf70f4a14a3afa0e2075cb2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/f2ba13578e1a920c1f3e8a4258dc538a.jpg

How do you get your pics to appear that size on here?????

wookie70
23-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Dont think could call that an OG. It was going in and hit the guy on the line

Not from my view but the old eyes are possibly wrong. I thought he actually played it square when about 3 or 4 yards out in front of goal and with no-one to beat and his initial contact was never going in. It may have came back off him after that though. Regardless of the poor finishing he played well today and even worked a bit harder. It will be interesting to see who is right when the highlights are shown

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy

As soon as I clapped eyes on Hallberg I thought to myself that boy is a good footballer

He will only get better as he gets match fit

I thought today even although he played very well he had a couple of uncharacteristic slack moments getting caught in possession and a couple of slack passes that went astray

I have no doubt he will continue to learn from todays game against a very good Motherwell side in a match played at a very high tempo like an old fashioned cup tie and under the tutelage of Jack Ross hopefully he will only continue to improve

Peevemor
23-11-2019, 08:14 PM
How do you get your pics to appear that size on here?????It seems to be a recent thing (update?) , but when posting screenshots from my phone using Tapatalk, I get the option of what size I want to send.

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 08:15 PM
It seems to be a recent thing (update?) , but when posting screenshots from my phone using Tapatalk, I get the option of what size I want to send.

Tapatalk? (Sorry to hijack this thread).

Peevemor
23-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Tapatalk? (Sorry to hijack this thread).It's an android application which simplifies using forums.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/94e90f12984caa2ded967fded1ff21c5.jpg

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 08:18 PM
It's an android application which simplifies using forums.

Ta.

MWHIBBIES
23-11-2019, 08:26 PM

Not bad for a player who I’ve read multiple times this week ‘contributes nothing’.

Think the fact we have guys like that to come off the bench - and Horgan, says we’ve got a much better squad than we thought a few weeks ago.

Yes, today he contributed well. Hopefully that continues. Still doesn't start over anyone in midfield.

kaimendhibs
Not from my view but the old eyes are possibly wrong. I thought he actually played it square when about 3 or 4 yards out in front of goal and with no-one to beat and his initial contact was never going in. It may have came back off him after that though. Regardless of the poor finishing he played well today and even worked a bit harder. It will be interesting to see who is right when the highlights are shownhttps://twitter.com/WestPilton/status/1198306642909179904?s=08

GreenCastle
Felt like we have our club back again.

What a difference a few weeks make.

For those who missed it today you missed an exciting game and a Hibs team who gave everything.

We played some really good stuff 1st half .

Few things from me..

Flo - wonder if he’s ok after injury?
Doidge - I actually really like the guy now - his work rate and winning headers was impressive.
Hallberg - one of my favourite players now - continues to get better.
Newell improving too - adds calmness and some excellent passing / set pieces.
Marciano-watched him warm up at half time and looks like he’s heads elsewhere-also odd he doesn’t do GK related stuff at half time.
Loved Kamberi getting the East stand going after he scored.

Can’t see Vela getting anywhere near team again.

2nd half I actually felt the Motherwell goal was coming as I felt we looked knackered after 60 mins. Not sure if it’s lack of fitness but subs definitely helped.

I still think a lack of defensive midfielder is something we desperately need.

Motherwell impressed me at times and if they had a finisher 2nd half and outcome may have been different.

Overall though a fun afternoon is horrible weather.

Side note..do Hibs ever open the boxes up during match day in Famous Five? I think the lower crowd was due to weather - famous five especially quite a few seats empty.

dalkeith stu
23-11-2019, 08:32 PM
https://twitter.com/WestPilton/status/1198306642909179904?s=08

Cole looked offside for the Well goal!!

Hiber-nation
23-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Thought Ryan struggled a bit today, particularly in the first half. Hallberg man of the match for me with honourable mentions for Newell and Doidge who are completely different players now that Hecky has gone.

sean04
23-11-2019, 08:36 PM
I thought maxwell was shaky today. Poor touch from pass back early on, panicked a bit from another pass back. Strange punch back into the danger zone from a cross. Not sure if he should’ve came for cross that Naismith had to shepherd out of play

Lancs Harp

Seriously? I might have opened the saturday night wine but thats nothing like offiside.

BILLYHIBS

Never!

I had btts :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 08:38 PM
I thought maxwell was shaky today. Poor touch from pass back early on, panicked a bit from another pass back. Strange punch back into the danger zone from a cross. Not sure if he should’ve came for cross that Naismith had to shepherd out of play

Maybes feeling the pressure of Rocky and Bogdan breathing down his neck

A real pro should thrive on pressure. :greengrin

wookie70
23-11-2019, 08:40 PM

The old eyes were playing up then. It was still a finish that gave the defender a chance but who cares its in the back of the net

sean04
23-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Maybes feeling the pressure of Rocky and Bogdan breathing down his neck

A real pro should thrive on pressure. :greengrin

Hopefully Bogdan can get some games under his belt with the development squad and push for a place and a long contract

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Hopefully Bogdan can get some games under his belt with the development squad and push for a place and a long contract

They’ve got a few coming up.

dalkeith stu
23-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Seriously? I might have opened the saturday night wine but thats nothing like offiside.

When the shot comes in it looks like he touches it onto the post. Apology accepted!!;D

Keith_M
23-11-2019, 08:52 PM
I think Daryl Horgan can be quite decent, on ocassion

He was good when he came on today and his goal was tremendous.

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 08:58 PM
I think Daryl Horgan can be quite decent, on ocassion

He was good when he came on today and his goal was tremendous.

Was that you that jumped from the FFL to hug him? :greengrin

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Think the wee fellah got emptied too! Harsh.

04Sauzee
23-11-2019, 09:02 PM

He did I think he got huckled out the door between the North and the East

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Poor.

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Amost as harsh as Maxwell getting booked for the ball getting kicked into Row ZZ and the ball boy taking his time to retrieve it :confused:

Keith_M
23-11-2019, 09:11 PM

No, I'm MUCH older than that.

:greengrin

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 09:14 PM
Amost as harsh as Maxwell getting booked for the ball getting kicked into Row ZZ and the ball boy taking his time to retrieve it :confused:

Maxwell climbed the advertising boards in an expert bit of time wasting to make sure the ball boy walked all the way down with it! If he’d kept his trap shut he wouldn’t even been booked, Beaton had walked away after ticking him off and he’d no one to blame but himself.
Throwing out a kid who looked about 12 doesn’t compare.

LaMotta
23-11-2019, 09:17 PM

:agree:

Yet another assist for Mallan.

As you say very strong bench - seeing Boyle, Mallan and Horgan going to warm up behind the goals highlights that we've got a strong squad now.

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 09:19 PM
Maxwell climbed the advertising boards in an e pert bit of time wasting to make sure the ball boy walked all the way down with it! If he’d kept his trap shut he wouldn’t even been booked, Beaton had walked away after ticking him off and he’d no one to blame but himself.
Throwing out a kid who looked about 12 doesn’t compare.

LaMotta
23-11-2019, 09:21 PM

By who??

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 09:23 PM
By who??

Steward it seemed.

jacomo
23-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Thank you JB great read

LaMotta
23-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Steward it seemed.

Thats bizaare!

23-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Motherwell goal is offside. Someone is a yard or so off the goal line in the middle of the goal when the shot comes in. There's no way he’s not interfering with play.

RyeSloan
23-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Thats bizaare!

What’s bizarre about someone who invaded the pitch being chucked out?

Not like he was arrested and spent the night in the cells or anything.

LaMotta
23-11-2019, 11:33 PM
What’s bizarre about someone who invaded the pitch being chucked out?

Not like he was arrested and spent the night in the cells or anything.

Ignore my ramblings, too much bevvy for me tonight mate thought they were talking about the ball boy:panic:

RyeSloan
23-11-2019, 11:38 PM
Ignore my ramblings, too much bevvy for me tonight mate thought they were talking about the ball boy:panic:

Aha now that would have been something [emoji23][emoji106]

Frankhfc
23-11-2019, 11:39 PM

Careful with you're web surfing after here mate, could land you in trouble.

:greengrin

AZhibee
24-11-2019, 04:28 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Tyler Durden
24-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Motherwell goal is offside. Someone is a yard or so off the goal line in the middle of the goal when the shot comes in. There's no way he’s not interfering with play.

He’s behind Hallberg but Stevenson looks to be in line and playing Cole onside.

Tyler Durden
24-11-2019, 07:15 AM
In terms of player ratings, Maxwell was poor again IMO. Sooner Bogdan is fit the better

Hermit Crab
24-11-2019, 07:17 AM

To be fair he was given a couple of shocking back passes from Porteous and possibly Hanlon yesterday

Brightside
24-11-2019, 07:18 AM
A few people saying Porto for MotM. I thought he had one of his poorer games, as did a few around me. But we all said he’ll still be MotM! For me Slivka and Halberg were our best players yesterday.

Hermit Crab
24-11-2019, 07:19 AM
He’s behind Hallberg but Stevenson looks to be in line and playing Cole onside.

:agree:, didn't get out quick enough.

Hermit Crab
24-11-2019, 07:20 AM
A few people saying Porto for MotM. I thought he had one of his poorer games, as did a few around me. But we all said he’ll still be MotM! For me Slivka and Halberg were our best players yesterday.

Surely not the same Slivka a lot on here were wanting moved on in the summer?? That can't be right. :confused:

BILLYHIBS
24-11-2019, 07:21 AM
To be fair he was given a couple of shocking back passes from Porteous and possibly Hanlon yesterday

I also wonder if the ball changed direction midflight that he inexplicably flapped at and palmed into no mans land second half :confused:

HibbyAndy
24-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Didn't doidge get the 3rd ? Pretty sure he tapped it in on the line

Bobby's Cinema
24-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Surely not the same Slivka a lot on here were wanting moved on in the summer?? That can't be right. :confused:
Does it have to be an I told you so?

The guy was playing poorly and rightly questions were asked. The last two games he has been much improved much like most of the squad.

hibee-boys
24-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Does it have to be an I told you so?

The guy was playing poorly and rightly questions were asked. The last two games he has been much improved much like most of the squad.

Slivka has done well the last 2 games, is he the answer long term, i'm not so sure. Allan and Hallberg have nailed down 2 of the midfield slots.

Baldy Foghorn
24-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Different atmosphere in the stands too, seemed much more relaxed, and got right behind the team. Long may this continue

kaimendhibs
24-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Motherwell goal is offside. Someone is a yard or so off the goal line in the middle of the goal when the shot comes in. There's no way he’s not interfering with play.Thought so at the game

Hermit Crab
24-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Stevenson plays him on.

Brightside
24-11-2019, 09:56 AM

Some people eh.

Eyrie
24-11-2019, 10:17 AM

I also wonder if the ball changed direction midflight that he inexplicably flapped at and palmed into no mans land second half :confused:

That was my reaction at the time.

Has anyone seen on highlights if that happened?

The Modfather
24-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Are the two absolutes? People can’t have wanted him moved on in the summer and also acknowledge he played well yesterday?

AlbertK86
24-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Good fighting performance that wasn't that dissimilar to the last two draws we have had at ER where we had some excellent spells but were also outplayed for good chunks of the game. On this occasion we got the rub of the green with Doidge's goal, the pen decision and some shocking finishing and decision making from Motherwell in the last third. Small margins and hopefully Jack will be a lucky as well as a good manager.

Harsh on Doidge the ball hit the defender on the way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyeSloan
24-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Harsh on Doidge the ball hit the defender on the way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was defo on target as the highlights show...they also show how bad an effort it was, quite how he didn’t tap it straight in only he will know!!

Scott Allan Key
24-11-2019, 11:03 AM

Shot took deflection off Hallberg, is it still offside if penultimate touch came off the Hibs player?

brog
24-11-2019, 11:30 AM
Shot took deflection off Hallberg, is it still offside if penultimate touch came off the Hibs player?

Yes, it's when the ball is played.

brog
24-11-2019, 11:54 AM
I'll no doubt be accused of having green tinted specs on here but 1) I think on probability the Well goal was offside, Devante Cole certainly seemed to think so, he holds his hands up in apology expecting a flag. There would possibly be a debatable case that Cole was standing in an offside position anyway but he actually tries to make contact with the ball & therefore becomes active. The only possibility is Lewis playing him on but from freezing the pic Cole seems a foot or so off. 2) Was never a penalty against Porteous. He certainly committed a foul but it was well outside the box. He didn't touch the Well player inside the box until his hand brushed his back as the player was already falling/diving. Beaton's a clown but I think he got it right this time.
Incidentally, although Doidge didn't make greatest contact it was definitely his goal but conversely, Horgan's should be an og. Hibs TV clearly shows ball was missing far post until it took a little nick, Off Polworth possibly. Daryl will be credited with the goal I'm sure & he deserves it!

southsider
24-11-2019, 12:13 PM
LD saying that funds are available if JR wants to inprove the squad. No major changes invivaged but lack of depth to be corrected.

CMurdoch
24-11-2019, 12:24 PM
LD saying that funds are available if JR wants to inprove the squad. No major changes invivaged but lack of depth to be corrected.

Lots of depth. Strong bench and Middleton, Vela, McGregor, Gray, Whittaker, Murray and Bogdan not even in the squad.
Only gap is an extra striker. Other than that any January signing needs to be of great quality, a starter who will improve the team.

CockneyRebel
24-11-2019, 12:32 PM
I'll no doubt be accused of having green tinted specs on here but 1) I think on probability the Well goal was offside, Devante Cole certainly seemed to think so, he holds his hands up in apology expecting a flag. There would possibly be a debatable case that Cole was standing in an offside position anyway but he actually tries to make contact with the ball & therefore becomes active. The only possibility is Lewis playing him on but from freezing the pic Cole seems a foot or so off. 2) Was never a penalty against Porteous. He certainly committed a foul but it was well outside the box. He didn't touch the Well player inside the box until his hand brushed his back as the player was already falling/diving. Beaton's a clown but I think he got it right this time.
Incidentally, although Doidge didn't make greatest contact it was definitely his goal but conversely, Horgan's should be an og. Hibs TV clearly shows ball was missing far post until it took a little nick, Off Polworth possibly. Daryl will be credited with the goal I'm sure & he deserves it!

Watched it several times now (even took my green specs off), can't see any nick or deflection -

superfurryhibby
24-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Yesterday was a great performance from Hibs against a pretty decent side. We battled back from being behind and although under the cosh for long periods of the second half, we defended well and looked likely to nick a goal, which is the way it went.

There were good performances all round, but Hallberg, Kamberi and Allan showed their class. Doidge worked really hard, won most balls in the air and for me he was MOM.

Jack Ross made the substitutions count. All the players that came on contributed well, with Boyle looking really sharp. He's going to be a tremendous addition to the side once he's fully back up fitness.

The fans really got behind the team and it was heartening to hear getting the backing they deserved. That must be worth a lot to these guys. I'd love to hear Doidge and Kamberi getting a wee song, both have come onto form and shown what they are capable of.

Hopefully a bit of quality business in January will bolster the squad even more. There is some deadwood that needs trimming too. The return of Gray and McGregor will also add depth.

What a bloody difference a few weeks make. Onwards and upwards Hibs.

brog
24-11-2019, 01:19 PM
[/B]Watched it several times now (even took my green specs off), can't see any nick or deflection -
Well player is sliding back towards his own goal, gets a toe on it & takes it inside the post. There's a great view from behind the goal.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Well player is sliding back towards his own goal, gets a toe on it & takes it inside the post. There's a great view from behind the goal.

Copied this out the BBC but from where I was sitting immediately above it, Horgan’s shot went straight in, only Squirrel was close and he never connected either.

RyeSloan
24-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Copied this out the BBC but from where I was sitting immediately above it, Horgan’s shot went straight in, only Squirrel was close and he never connected either.

It’s pretty clear even on the Motherwell TV highlights Horgans cross takes a slight deflection off the Motherwell boy...not that it matters as it would have been turned in by Boyle if it hadn’t.

Smartie
24-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Yesterday was a great performance from Hibs against a pretty decent side. We battled back from being behind and although under the cosh for long periods of the second half, we defended well and looked likely to nick a goal, which is the way it went.

There were good performances all round, but Hallberg, Kamberi and Allan showed their class. Doidge worked really hard, won most balls in the air and for me he was MOM.

Jack Ross made the substitutions count. All the players that came on contributed well, with Boyle looking really sharp. He's going to be a tremendous addition to the side once he's fully back up fitness.

The fans really got behind the team and it was heartening to hear getting the backing they deserved. That must be worth a lot to these guys. I'd love to hear Doidge and Kamberi getting a wee song, both have come onto form and shown what they are capable of.

Hopefully a bit of quality business in January will bolster the squad even more. There is some deadwood that needs trimming too. The return of Gray and McGregor will also add depth.

What a bloody difference a few weeks make. Onwards and upwards Hibs.

Which deadwood do you think needs trimmed?

Having seen Newell especially but also Doidge, Slivka and Naismith make a big impact in the last 2 games, do you not feel that every single player deserves an opportunity to show what they can do in this new system and under the new manager?

I think the squad is still quite small with little that is possible to trim, and players like James, Jackson and Vela are only an injury away from being first picks again.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2019, 01:43 PM
It’s pretty clear even on the Motherwell TV highlights Horgans cross takes a slight deflection off the Motherwell boy...not that it matters as it would have been turned in by Boyle if it hadn’t.

My eyes aren’t the best but I don’t see that. I don’t see anyone lunging at it either except Boyle.
Don’t think it can be described as a cross either.
Which defender is it that it takes a nick off do you think?

RyeSloan
24-11-2019, 01:49 PM
My eyes aren’t the best but I don’t see that. I don’t see anyone lunging at it either except Boyle.

The dude at the front post...sticks his foot out and it nicks his toe and changes the direction of the ball to allow it to go in far post.

Anyway either way it was a great move and a fine goal [emoji736][emoji106]

Iggy Pope
24-11-2019, 01:53 PM
The dude at the front post...sticks his foot out and it nicks his toe and changes the direction of the ball to allow it to go in far post.

Anyway either way it was a great move and a fine goal [emoji736][emoji106]

If he’d been closer to the front post he might have stopped it but if your talking about the fellah a yard inside the 6yd box he does nothing but miss it as far as I can see.

Fine goal right enough. :thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
24-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Which deadwood do you think needs trimmed?

Having seen Newell especially but also Doidge, Slivka and Naismith make a big impact in the last 2 games, do you not feel that every single player deserves an opportunity to show what they can do in this new system and under the new manager?

I think the squad is still quite small with little that is possible to trim, and players like James, Jackson and Vela are only an injury away from being first picks again.

James, Middleton, Vela? I'm sure Ross will give them all every opportunity to impress, but we need better. Jackson offers cover and whilst fairly average, he does a job.

brog
24-11-2019, 02:36 PM
If he’d been closer to the front post he might have stopped it but if your talking about the fellah a yard inside the 6yd box he does nothing but miss it as far as I can see.

There's one view on Hibs TV where the deflection is very clear.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2019, 02:58 PM
There's one view on Hibs TV where the deflection is very clear.

I’ll need to leave that with you fellah! I’ve not seen Hibs TV only what I seen live and the Motherwell pictures today. Don’t see anyone sliding at that ball except Martin Boyle.

JimBHibees
24-11-2019, 03:07 PM
[/B]Watched it several times now (even took my green specs off), can't see any nick or deflection -

Nick off Hartley to put it in back post.

Got to be said saw highlights and Beaton is spot on with the penalty decision Polwarth created the contact in the box then dived.

jacomo
24-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Slivka has often flattered to deceive.

Utterly pointless to use his good performance yesterday (which has been widely acknowledged) as an argument against fellow fans.

Find something else to get wound up about.

LaMotta
24-11-2019, 09:48 PM

Agree with this have watched it from all angles and dont see conclusive proof of any touch from a well player.

I can see why folk might think that from the pitchside camera as the well boy sticks his foot out and the ball curls in but I still dont think he touches it.

Iggy Pope
24-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Agree with this have watched it from all angles and dont see conclusive proof of any touch from a well player.

I can see why folk might think that from the pitchside camera as the well boy sticks his foot out and the ball curls in but I still dont think he touches it.

Sticks his foot out (pretty pathetically by the way) and misses it. No deflection, no slide, nowt. Horgan shot and scored a very good goal.

ABZHFC
24-11-2019, 09:59 PM

I was right behind it in the FF upper, he absolutely touched it, and it was a pivotal touch as it was not going in but for that (unless Boyle slid it home)

LaMotta
24-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Slivka has often flattered to deceive.

Utterly pointless to use his good performance yesterday (which has been widely acknowledged) as an argument against fellow fans.

Find something else to get wound up about.

I think yesterday summed up Slivkas time with us generally. Poor for the Motherwell goal, couple of sloppy passes early on, then lots of good athleticism getting around the pitch, some really good bits of neat and tidy possesion and ball retention after we took the lead, couple of good interceptions, but no real telling contribution in the final third.

Didnt see a MOM performance but still quite like him and he is also still young so could be worth another deal.

LaMotta
24-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Sticks his foot out (pretty pathetically by the way) and misses it. No deflection, no slide, nowt. Horgan shot and scored a very good goal.

Exactly!

I was right behind it in the FF upper, he absolutely touched it, and it was a pivotal touch as it was not going in but for that (unless Boyle slid it home)

Peter Hartley himself has said on Twitter he never touched it so i think your eyes (and others!) were decieving you.

kaimendhibs
24-11-2019, 11:57 PM
No way did Horgans goal get a touch on the way in.

brog
25-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Exactly!

Peter Hartley himself has said on Twitter he never touched it so i think your eyes (and others!) were decieving you.

He's hardly likely to claim an og is he? It was a deliberate touch, not an accidental deflection. I didn't see it from normal view but it's clear from behind goal.

04Sauzee
25-11-2019, 07:59 AM
He's hardly likely to claim an og is he? It was a deliberate touch, not an accidebtal deflection. I didn't see it from normal view but it's clear from behind goal.

Watched the goal on twitter from the pitch side cameras which is excellent viewing btw and I can't see any touch. It's Horgans goal for me

LaMotta
25-11-2019, 08:19 AM
He's hardly likely to claim an og is he? It was a deliberate touch, not an accidebtal deflection. I didn't see it from normal view but it's clear from behind goal.

Why would he deny it anyway even if he did touch it, its Horgan's goal regardless.

I've yet to see footage of him touching the ball.

number9dream
25-11-2019, 08:20 AM
I think yesterday summed up Slivkas time with us generally. Poor for the Motherwell goal, couple of sloppy passes early on, then lots of good athleticism getting around the pitch, some really good bits of neat and tidy possesion and ball retention after we took the lead, couple of good interceptions, but no real telling contribution in the final third.

Didnt see a MOM performance but still quite like him and he is also still young so could be worth another deal.

He was easily beaten for the goal but he had just taken a knock in the challenge to concede the corner and was hobbling a bit. Madness for him to stay marking Hylton, their fastest and trickiest player, from the set-piece. Coaching staff should see that or players on the pitch should be able to adapt to the situation. On another day that could have been costly.
Overall, Slivka was good, like you say, and deserves to stay in the team.

Allan & Kamberi were excellent in the first half but fell out of it after the break with Motherwell seeing more of the ball. Maybe Mallan should have been on a bit earlier. All three subs made a telling impact, which should keep the rest on their toes.

A very positive start to the JR era.

BoomtownHibees
25-11-2019, 08:31 AM
He's hardly likely to claim an og is he? It was a deliberate touch, not an accidental deflection. I didn't see it from normal view but it's clear from behind goal.

100% it got a touch on the way in. The slo-mo replay from behind the goals would confirm that for anybody saying there was no touch

LaMotta
25-11-2019, 08:33 AM
100% it got a touch on the way in. The slo-mo replay from behind the goals would confirm that for anybody saying there was no touch

Watch here, 3mins 30 sec in:
https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1198579517725401088?s=19

No touch, he puts his foot out but just misses it!

No wonder Var is causing so many problems down south:greengrin

CockneyRebel
25-11-2019, 08:50 AM
Exactly!

Peter Hartley himself has said on Twitter he never touched it so i think your eyes (and others!) were deceiving you.I rest my case - watched it from an angle where you can see no deviation - stopped it and watched it frame by frame, guy sticks foot out and almost touches it but no cigar. I admit some defenders don't like the stats showing they gave away an own goal but most don't like to give the glory to the scorer either. End of.

BoomtownHibees
25-11-2019, 09:06 AM

That’s the angle I have watched it from and the ball definitely looks like it takes a nick of the defenders foot and slightly changes direction

JeMeSouviens
25-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Why would he deny it anyway even if he did touch it, its Horgan's goal regardless.

I've yet to see footage of him touching the ball.

4.30 on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/50539141

The ball definitely deviates a little. Also

- Well goal is offside. The forward doesn't obstruct the keeper's view but he definitely jabs his foot in an attempt to play the ball and that should be enough.
- Doidge's goal looks like an og to me. It might have crept inside the post but I doubt it.

brog
25-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Go to 4.08 to see a slo mo replay of goal. Deviation is obvious. Hartley's body language is also telling.

ABZHFC
25-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Not only did I see it, clear as day, with my own eyes in the ground, but several angles since (and Hartley's body language) absolutely indicate he got a crucial touch on that, which guided it into the net

LaMotta
25-11-2019, 11:05 AM
That’s the angle I have watched it from and the ball definitely looks like it takes a nick of the defenders foot and slightly changes direction

4.30 on this

- Well goal is offside. The forward doesn't obstruct the keeper's view but he definitely jabs his foot in an attempt to play the ball and that should be enough.
- Doidge's goal looks like an og to me. It might have crept inside the post but I doubt it.

Go to 4.08 to see a slo mo replay of goal. Deviation is obvious. Hartley's body language is also telling.

The ball does look to take a weird trajectory but watched it a million times and still no touch of a well boot can be identified. :dizzy:

Hartley's body language tells us nothing more than his team have lost a goal and he knows the game is now over!

In his own word's he never touched it and on that point im out :greengrin

LaMotta
25-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Not only did I see it, clear as day, with my own eyes in the ground, but several angles since (and Hartley's body language) absolutely indicate he got a crucial touch on that, which guided it into the net

No they dont and no you didnt:greengrin

superfurryhibby
25-11-2019, 11:10 AM
4.30 on this

Agree, Well goal was offside. How you can be a yard in front of the keeper, attempt to play the ball and not yet somehow not be interfering with play is a mystery to me.

As for Doidge's goal, that would have been miss of the season, fortunately , we'll never know:greengrin

JeMeSouviens
25-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Agree, Well goal was offside. How you can be a yard in front of the keeper, attempt to play the ball and not yet somehow not be interfering with play is a mystery to me.

As for Doidge's goal, that would have been miss the season, fortunately , we'll never know:greengrin

To be fair, he has most of the other contenders as well, so he's still odds on. :greengrin

matty_f
25-11-2019, 11:40 AM
The ball does look to take a weird trajectory but watched it a million times and still no touch of a well boot can be identified. :dizzy:

Hartley's body language tells us nothing more than his team have lost a goal and he knows the game is now over!

In his own word's he never touched it and on that point im out :greengrin

I think it goes straight in as well, don't see a touch on it.

wookie70
25-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Looks a clear touch from the slow mo pitch side on Hibs TV. The ball deviates considerably and was never going in from that angle. Horgan's goal though as if you have to look at it in slow mo from various angles give the benefit of the doubt to the offensive player.

Moulin Yarns
25-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Just watched the highlights on sportscene and motherwell's goal should be chalked off for offside against their number 44, Cole. He was in an offside position and attempted to play the ball before it came off the post.

Golden Bear
25-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Agree. I was in the West with a perfect view of the angle and there was no suggestion of even the slightest of deflections.

Devonhibs
25-11-2019, 12:43 PM
A better, more pleasant argument amongst us about a third Hibs goal rather than the toxic atmosphere towards the end of PH's reign.

Long may it continue :thumbsup:.

brog
25-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Have you looked at slow motion at 4.08 Matty? Sorry to bang on about this, though it's a pleasant subject, but I'm just amazed so many on here can't see it. I'll remember that next time Hibs Net is accusing the ref of being blind! 😊

25-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Have you looked at slow motion at 4.08 Matty? Sorry to bang on about this, though it's a pleasant subject, but I'm just amazed so many on here can't see it. I'll remember that next time Hibs Net is accusing the ref of being blind! 😊

This is the Hibs.net equivalent of the blue & black or white & gold dress. :cb