PDA

View Full Version : Joe Newell

3pm
23-11-2019, 05:48 PM
Shout out to Joe. 👍🏻

HibeeHibernian4
23-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Is it just me or has he started winning back the ball a ridiculous number of times in the past few games? Bartley levels of winning it back today unless I had him confused with someone else (short sleeves and black boots, right?).

kaimendhibs
23-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Thought he was excellent

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DJ HIBBY
Is it just me or has he started winning back the ball a ridiculous number of times in the past few games? Bartley levels of winning it back today unless I had him confused with someone else (short sleeves and black boots, right?).

Just you I think. Looks silky on the ball but doesn’t tackle and left Stevenson exposed more often than not. Will score and create IMO though

Hiber-nation
Can't believe its the same player. What exactly did Hecky tell him to do??

stoneyburn hibs
23-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Managed properly in the last 2 games, earned an applause on his substitution today.

Diclonius
23-11-2019, 05:55 PM
Looks far more comfortable playing deeper and more central.

The 90+2
23-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Maybe we didn’t sign a load of L2 duffers afterall. It’s amazing what decent management can do to get the best out players.

Torto7
23-11-2019, 05:56 PM

He's not a winger. He said that when he joined us. The pudding seemed to think he was though.

04Sauzee
23-11-2019, 05:57 PM
Looks far more comfortable playing deeper and more central.

And to think Newell always said he wasn't a winger and was always happier inside 1, yet he was always judged playing wide left.

Looking more than decent today.

j'adorehibs
23-11-2019, 06:06 PM
much better again, just wish he would press and chase a little more, sometime too casual when we don't have the ball but yes a definite improvement

.Sean.
23-11-2019, 06:13 PM
How is that the same player from earlier on in the season? He was excellent today :aok:

AlbertK86
23-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Excellent performance especially first half and contrary to some I thought he put in a good few challenges and recovered ball with good anticipation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
23-11-2019, 06:45 PM
After his performance, or lack thereof, at Ibrox I would have been quite happy to never see him pull on a Hibs strip again.

The last 2 weeks he has been a different player. He was afforded a standing ovation when he left the park today and it was well deserved. Put in a power of work, looked lively and was dangerous.

Weegreenman
23-11-2019, 06:55 PM
Good game today, wouldn’t get too carried away though until we see this level on a consistent basis.

Since452
23-11-2019, 07:00 PM
I think we're starting to see the guy we expected when he signed. Good on him.

Carheenlea
23-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Everyone apart from Paul Heckingbottom could see he was no winger, but when he played the role more inside at Hamilton you could see what he could offer.
Playing guys in their strongest positions unfortunately means others that you might like to play have to sit out. It’s what’s best for the club that should always count for a manager selecting his team rather than fitting in all his favourites.

Vault Boy
23-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Definitely a central player. Good first half, faded in the second but he's probably lacking sharpness after not even being in the squad near the end of Hecky's reign.

Glad to see him picking up and showing off some of his obvious natural talent.

sean04
23-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Great run for Doidge goal

hibeerealist
23-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Shout out to Joe. 👍🏻

Ye played well today.

Hope to see him continue to improve there is a player there for sure.

theonlywayisup
23-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Looks a good player to my uneducated eyes.

random sub
23-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Decent today- keep it up Joe.

Related to this, Stevenson had a tough day though- the pace and drive of those Motherwell players was impressive.

The Modfather
23-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Maybe Heckingbottom was right to overrule the recruitment team with Newell after all :devil:

Borderhibbie76
23-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Exactly what I was thinking at the match today mate

J-C
23-11-2019, 07:51 PM
I think today proved he's not a winger but a left sided midfielder, has very decent quick feet, can put in a decent delivery and wins a fair few challenges, very decent today, impressed.

Martymck
23-11-2019, 08:01 PM
Shout out to Joe. 👍🏻
exellent today looks a classy plr in

tamig
23-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Good game today, wouldn’t get too carried away though until we see this level on a consistent basis.

Well that’s two in a row from him. Long may it continue.

Martymck
23-11-2019, 08:04 PM
looks like a classy plr in the correct position

ekhibee
23-11-2019, 08:44 PM
I thought he stood out as the most improved player this season in the game today, when I first saw him at ER I thought he was woeful and wanted rid of him as soon as possible, but today he was excellent and like others I have to admit I was wrong about him and I'm glad to do so if he can keep putting in performances like that. Well done Joe, great game and keep up the good work.

Smartie
23-11-2019, 09:23 PM
I don't go to every match and it just happened that of our games earlier in the season I seemed to go to Joe's stronger games and missed his poorer ones, so I've always been a bit bemused by the stick he seems to get on here.

He was excellent during the first half especially, showing a good touch and a happy knack of being in the right place to make an interception.

Newell is an odd player, as I don't think I've ever seen anyone like him. He's not a winger, he's not a central midfielder, he just sort of glides about the left side occasionally popping up in unexpectedly brilliant positions but also often leaving Lewis Stevenson with quite a lot of work to do by himself.

We've got quite a few players who have a wee spark of magic to light up a deadlocked game, Newell is certainly one of them.

I like him and I'm pleased he's settling in and showing his worth.

my left peg
23-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Still not convinced....he earned Porteous a booking which could have been costly, but at times he looks like a total baller....who knows,maybe there is hope for Vella and James yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nicho87
23-11-2019, 09:33 PM
He won a sliding tackle.
Looked good and powerful going forward.
Might just be a player there after all.
Good performance

whiskas
23-11-2019, 09:35 PM

Stand on the touch line waving in vain fir the ball? Looked much more natural at the left of the diamond and also think he’s clicking with his team mates more

Eyrie
23-11-2019, 09:36 PM
I've been one of his most vocal critics, so it's only fair to acknowledge that he had a decent game today with some nice passing and a willingness to look for work, including defensively.

Robbo6-2
23-11-2019, 09:39 PM
First 30 he was brilliant

Quiet after that.

But like the balance he provides at left of diamond

HendoDelivered
23-11-2019, 11:39 PM
Amazing what confidence does for a player. Well in Joe 👍🏽

Unseen work
25-11-2019, 11:28 PM
Really good technically and is difficult to play against when he gets his head down and runs at teams as he is a big athletic guy.

The issue for me is trying to get him involved in the game more, he does some brilliant touches or phases of play and then seems to fall out the game quite a bit.

Hopefully he learns this and starts grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

SMAXXA
26-11-2019, 12:04 AM
Consistency is his problem, would surprise me if he is poor tonight seems to be the way with him unfortunately

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 05:25 AM
Has improved but still no convinced

Far too inconsistent

I will be interested to see where he fits in in the grand scheme of things under JR

More than happy to be proved wrong

RIP
26-11-2019, 06:25 AM
Reckon since we realised that Mathie and team were responsible for the summer signings and not Heckingbottom fans are giving them the benefit of the doubt?

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Reckon since we realised that Mathie and team were responsible for the summer signings and not Heckingbottom fans are giving them the benefit of the doubt?
:confused:

So all these signings weren’t Heckys doing?

Looks like we sacked the wrong guy

Golden Bear
26-11-2019, 06:41 AM
As ever, encouragement from the supporters will do far more for a player's confidence than criticism.

'Mon the Joe.

:flag:

JimBHibees
26-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Personally think he will only get better has good quality and linked up the play well including getting an assist for first goal. Like others was quieter in the second half when we were mostly defending but like him and will contribute with assists and goals IMO going forward. Needs fans to not have an aneurism if he makes a mistake.

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 07:22 AM
Well, This is a thread that I didn’t think I’d read a few weeks ago ...wonder if any of the haters will come on with a changed perspective?

Hibernian Verse
26-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Well, This is a thread that I didn’t think I’d read a few weeks ago ...wonder if any of the haters will come on with a changed perspective?

I'll go first. I wanted him out the team at Stirling, now he's giving great balance to our new look midfield and looks a player.

Hiber-nation
26-11-2019, 07:44 AM

"Haters"? I was critical as he looked as if he wasn't trying a leg but as I said on another thread he's improved massively since Hecky's gone, be that down to change of formation or whatever. You surely have to admit that some of his performances under Hecky were dreadful and I'll always criticise a player who just doesn't bother to track back.

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 07:47 AM
"Haters"? I was critical as he looked as if he wasn't trying a leg but as I said on another thread he's improved massively since Hecky's gone, be that down to change of formation or whatever. You surely have to admit that some of his performances under Hecky were dreadful and I'll always criticise a player who just doesn't bother to track back.

Yes sure. There were some well below par performances ..was more wondering if some of those who saw him as “useless” are now changing their mind ..

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 08:06 AM
I'll go first. I wanted him out the team at Stirling, now he's giving great balance to our new look midfield and looks a player.

Stirling was a shocker

As they say in Horse Racing best put a line through that one and move on :greengrin

Diclonius
26-11-2019, 08:21 AM
:confused:

So all these signings weren’t Heckys doing?

Looks like we sacked the wrong guy

It's the Schrodinger's Signing paradox.

They are both signed by the recruitment team and signed by Heckingbottom until the fans decide whether the player is good or bad, upon which the paradox collapses.

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2019, 08:24 AM

They are both signed by the recruitment team and signed by Heckingbottom until the fans decide whether the player is good or bad, upon which the paradox collapses.

I see

Makes sense now

Since452
26-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Managed properly in the last 2 games, earned an applause on his substitution today.

He'd have been buzzing with that

HibsTYT
26-11-2019, 08:32 AM
Looking better each game imo, first game I seen him was away to Stirling when someone shouted "get back to love island ya pr***" hahaha.

Got a good touch on him and a good delivery, not sure he will be a starter week in week out but still looks a decent asset.

MrRobot
26-11-2019, 09:03 AM
Been saying it from the start that he was a good player who just needed a run. He has been excellent in the last few games, as have the majority of the team.

IWasThere2016
26-11-2019, 09:28 AM
Too good technically to fail at Hibs. Closer he plays to Allan the better.

J-C
26-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Haters is a very strong word. Many people questioned whether he, Vela etc, were good enough after a string of very poor displays. We never really knew if it was down to a pish manager or if they themselves were pish, if some of them can thrive indeed a new coach, then all the better.

As for the recruitment, it is a mixture of players recommended by Mathie and his team and some from the manager, who always has final say on incoming players. So.e work out and so.e don't, it happens at every club.

Stuart93
26-11-2019, 09:46 AM
I’ve not seen much of him this season but from what I’d seen earlier in to season to how he played Saturday he was like a different player.

Faded in and out but what he had to do he done well

Brightside
26-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Good first half, but i thought he dropped out of the game in the 2nd half. Hes not a winger though....never in a million years.

Since452
26-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Been saying it from the start that he was a good player who just needed a run. He has been excellent in the last few games, as have the majority of the team.

Yup. Amazing what a win and a good performance does.

bigwheel
26-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Haters is a very strong word. Many people questioned whether he, Vela etc, were good enough after a string of very poor displays. We never really knew if it was down to a pish manager or if they themselves were pish, if some of them can thrive indeed a new coach, then all the better.

As for the recruitment, it is a mixture of players recommended by Mathie and his team and some from the manager, who always has final say on incoming players. So.e work out and so.e don't, it happens at every club.

I agree..yet I’d also say there were a number of “haters” using language of disrespect much deeper than commenting on poor performances ...not just on Newell but others too..

My question was not really trying to be controversial..I am interested to see if any who had completely discarded him, are now back on side

hibee_nation
26-11-2019, 11:42 AM

Did the cat give you that snippet :wink:

theonlywayisup
26-11-2019, 12:32 PM
"I wanted him out the team at Stirling" - I think as football fans (anywhere in the world), we're always far too quick to make snap decisions and blame the player. Yes, he's looked poor in games, very poor in other games, but there's obviously a player there who's managed to get to a certain level through his footballing ability. One bad game, ten bad games, even thirty bad games will not determine how good or bad a player's career will be.

I firmly believe that you could put a "Messi" into a poorly structured team lacking of confidence and he would look average. Okay, probably not, but I think you get my drift.

My case in point is Miguel Almirón, the Newcastle United player. I watched the game last night; the first time I had the chance to watch him play. Gosh, he was rubbish; did absolutely nothing during the game; looked to me he was hiding and showed no urgency or desire to get involved. Wonder, does that remind you of someone!!

However, I understand that he's a Paraguay internationalist and arrived at Newcastle for £21m from Atlanta United having been named in the MLS Best XI for both of his seasons in Major League Soccer, as well as MLS Newcomer of the Year for 2017. However, last night he was woeful. Is that because he's a rubbish player or the way Newcastle play or he's not got used to the Premier League?

I don't think that Newell will ever be a "McGinn" type player, driving us forward. However, I think he could be a good team player in the right team structure. It's up to Jack Ross to work that out, because Hecky clearly couldn't.

PS: Re the "I wanted him out the team at Stirling" quote, I've picked up on that comment but could equally have chosen umpteen others comments of a similar nature, hence why I've not replied to that post directly.

ekhibee
26-11-2019, 12:38 PM
"I wanted him out the team at Stirling" - I think as football fans (anywhere in the world), we're always far too quick to make snap decisions and blame the player. Yes, he's looked poor in games, very poor in other games, but there's obviously a player there who's managed to get to a certain level through his footballing ability. One bad game, ten bad games, even thirty bad games will not determine how good or bad a player's career will be.

I firmly believe that you could put a "Messi" into a poorly structured team lacking of confidence and he would look average. Okay, probably not, but I think you get my drift.

My case in point is Miguel Almirón, the Newcastle United player. I watched the game last night; the first time I had the chance to watch him play. Gosh, he was rubbish; did absolutely nothing during the game; looked to me he was hiding and showed no urgency or desire to get involved. Wonder, does that remind you of someone!!

However, I understand that he's a Paraguay internationalist and arrived at Newcastle for £21m from Atlanta United having been named in the MLS Best XI for both of his seasons in Major League Soccer, as well as MLS Newcomer of the Year for 2017. However, last night he was woeful. Is that because he's a rubbish player or the way Newcastle play or he's not got used to the Premier League?

I don't think that Newell will ever be a "McGinn" type player, driving us forward. However, I think he could be a good team player in the right team structure. It's up to Jack Ross to work that out, because Hecky clearly couldn't.

PS: Re the "I wanted him out the team at Stirling" quote, I've picked up on that comment but could equally have chosen umpteen others comments of a similar nature, hence why I've not replied to that post directly.
Some good points there. I saw Almiron when we played Newcastle in a friendly at the start of the season and thought he was their best player, but he was poor last night. On saying that Villa are better than Hibs at the moment, I thought they were good last night Grealish is a really good player and of course so is McGinn.

1van Sprou7e
26-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Some good points there. I saw Almiron when we played Newcastle in a friendly at the start of the season and thought he was their best player, but he was poor last night. On saying that Villa are better than Hibs at the moment, I thought they were good last night Grealish is a really good player and of course so is McGinn.

"Villa are better than Hibs at the moment"

Hot take that 😁

Gloucester Hibs
26-11-2019, 12:46 PM

Almiron has now gone something like 22 games without scoring, that has to have an effect on performance levels. I daresay if we broke our transfer record on a new striker and he performed similarly we'd be less than pleased! Actually on that note Doidge (pre-St Johnstone) is probably a better comparison than Newell? Thankfully he's got going now but it just shows the importance of an early goal to a striker's confidence.

J-C
26-11-2019, 12:49 PM
I agree..yet I’d also say there were a number of “haters” using language of disrespect much deeper than commenting on poor performances ...not just on Newell but others too..

My question was not really trying to be controversial..I am interested to see if any who had completely discarded him, are now back on side

I'm all for giving players a chance, I was happy 2 weeks ago to get shot of most of the new signings but will give them the benefit of the doubt with a different manager.

thegaffer12
30-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Thought he had another great game today - 1 or 2 bad decisions aside. Seems a confidence player at the height of confidence right now.

Roxyhibee
30-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Lively and showing good promise for the next 2 years, but as my nephew said today - “needs a goal”, soon hopefully.

Steve88
30-11-2019, 07:29 PM
OK, I'll admit it.... there's a player there

neil7908
30-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Lively and showing good promise for the next 2 years, but as my nephew said today - “needs a goal”, soon hopefully.

I agree. Appreciate midfielders won't be scoring and getting assists every week but he needs to start chipping in more.

TrinityHibs
30-11-2019, 08:22 PM
I think he’s a player. Delighted for him.

PercyHibs
30-11-2019, 08:24 PM
I wonder what the catalyst was for the turn around. I hadn't seen him play for a few weeks and was like watching a different player today. I thought he was really good. Worked hard defensively too. Maybe just settled in Edinburgh? New manager?

MWHIBBIES
30-11-2019, 08:44 PM
I wonder what the catalyst was for the turn around. I hadn't seen him play for a few weeks and was like watching a different player today. I thought he was really good. Worked hard defensively too. Maybe just settled in Edinburgh? New manager?

Probably a bit of everything. Settling in, new manager, proper position, starting consistently, team winning so he has more confidence, fans not on the teams back. Footballers are humans as well, they have emotions and problems and can take time to figure everything out.

tamig
30-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Probably a bit of everything. Settling in, new manager, proper position, starting consistently, team winning so he has more confidence, fans not on the teams back. Footballers are humans as well, they have emotions and problems and can take time to figure everything out.

Agreed. Heckingbottom seemed determined that he was a left winger. He’s been much better playing more central. Good to see him putting in some good challenges today and showing real determination in a few situations where he could easily have held back. Puts some of the previous “heart of a mouse” comments that more than a few on here have used about him to bed.

Smartie
30-11-2019, 08:54 PM

Shackles off.

He’s a good player and knows what to do.

We’re playing a formation that allows him to do what he does best.

I like the guy, he’s a very good player if not a perfect one.

we are hibs
30-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Hes deceptively strong. Everytime you think hes going to get knocked off the ball he seems to do well to hold onto it. Has a burst of pace too. Seems to want to get stuck in too and has no issues doing so even if it doesnt come naturally to him, others could take note. Thats 3 good games hes had and is currently justifying his place.

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2019, 10:17 PM
Not a fan but I have to admit one piece of skill from Newall early second half was sublime where he lobbed the ball over a Kilmarnock player hit it on the volley with a fierce rocket shot that had the goalie beat all ends up before another Killie defender put his body on the line to block the trajectory of the ball

Respect!

:not worth

Hibs90
01-12-2019, 12:29 AM
Still don't see it to be honest.

davhibby
01-12-2019, 12:49 AM

Deary me. Not sure what you were watching today or what you expect from a Hibs player but thought Newell was a bit hard done by not to get motm

ian cruise
01-12-2019, 01:04 AM
At St Mirren the differ in the protection Lewis was given between Newell (a fair bit) and Horgan (none at all) was noticeable and though I wasn't there myself today I was listening on the radio and it sounded that similarly after the subs our opposition took more of a foothold in the game.

Hibs90
01-12-2019, 01:10 AM
Deary me. Not sure what you were watching today or what you expect from a Hibs player but thought Newell was a bit hard done by not to get motm

I think he is an average player at best with a decent left peg and deceptively strong but can't pass to a green jersey unless its 2 yards to his left.

FilipinoHibs
01-12-2019, 02:29 AM
Man management think think the key and playing him in more of a central role. Needs encouraged and geed up.

Allant1981
01-12-2019, 07:08 AM

He has been one of our best players in each of the last 3 games, he is no where near as bad as lots on here have made out, as usual there are a few sheep who will follow on and go with what people say rather than letting the guy settle in and play in his actual position, he is a good player

Gmack7
01-12-2019, 07:15 AM
i dont think he should have been subbed yesterday

Since452
01-12-2019, 07:47 AM
Boy can play

Stuart93
01-12-2019, 07:50 AM
Was good again yesterday. Not scared to get stuck in and stronger than he looks

calumhibee1
01-12-2019, 08:18 AM
He was great first half. Thought he fell out of it a bit second half but he’s showing a lot of promise now.

MrRobot
01-12-2019, 08:56 AM
i dont think he should have been subbed yesterday

Agreed. Is that the same 3 subs we’ve made in all games now? Player for player?

Boyle played well when he came on but i thought Mallan and Horgan were poor this week(both have been very good last couple though)

Eyrie
01-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Agreed. Is that the same 3 subs we’ve made in all games now? Player for player?

Boyle played well when he came on but i thought Mallan and Horgan were poor this week(both have been very good last couple though)

It is.

I think the only difference yesterday was the order that the subs were made in.

MrRobot
01-12-2019, 09:59 AM
It is.

I think the only difference yesterday was the order that the subs were made in.

I thought that. I get don’t change a winning team but we can’t hope the same 3 subs will have the same impact every week.

Eyrie
01-12-2019, 10:12 AM
I thought that. I get don’t change a winning team but we can’t hope the same 3 subs will have the same impact every week.

It highlights the a lack of depth and balance in the squad. The alternatives for the midfield are Middleton (not as good as Boyle or Horgan), Murray (not a defensive player) or Vela (enough said). So by default it has to be the same three.

I think everyone knows we need at least one new midfielder in January who can defend and will be used to either shore things up late in games or create competition for the starting spots.