PDA

View Full Version : Proactive Substitutions: a Welcome Change

HibeeHibernian4
23-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Great to see Ross wasn’t afraid to make subs from around the 65 minute mark. Every sub made us stronger (including Mallan replacing Allan which gave us the new drive towards getting a third and decisive goal).

The Harp Awakes
23-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Agreed. The subs definitely made a difference. Led to us finishing the game positively.

Keith_M
23-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Great to see Ross wasn’t afraid to make subs from around the 65 minute mark. Every sub made us stronger (including Mallan replacing Allan which gave us the new drive towards getting a third and decisive goal).

Very good subs. One of them even scored.

Kamberi was really milking it when he left the pitch

😌

CMac1988
23-11-2019, 04:56 PM

I was getting a little anxious around the 60 minute mark as we were under the cosh somewhat. Surprised when Kamberi went off as I thought Slivka would have been the better choice at the time as we were struggling to hold on to the ball and he looked very 'leggy'. Regardless an early sub was made when it was apparent that one was needed. Didn't happen enough under Heckingbottom.

Peevemor
23-11-2019, 05:00 PM
I was getting a little anxious around the 60 minute mark as we were under the cosh somewhat. Surprised when Kamberi went off as I thought Slivka would have been the better choice at the time as we were struggling to hold on to the ball and he looked very 'leggy'. Regardless an early sub was made when it was apparent that one was needed. Didn't happen enough under Heckingbottom.Kamberi had taken a knock and was limping a bit.

RyeSloan
23-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Jack and his coaches had a good 5 minute discussion about what to do before they made the subs. They could clearly see that Motherwell were still getting too much joy down the sides and seemed to have space to spare in the midfield.

Jack after the game said he knew that would be the case before the game but believed we could hurt them more by focusing on our strengths...says a lot that after just over an hour or so he was man enough to see that tactic had run its course and moved to change it up.

I thought is changes were spot on with the only thought that he might have made a double sub to start...as soon as we went one up top we looked much more compact and it allowed us to do exactly what we did, keep well at arms length and gub them on the break with a beautiful goal.

Either way it was great to see the manager proactively working through the issues with his team and then making changes before it was too late.

Bob Box Fish
23-11-2019, 06:13 PM
The timing of the subs and the players introduced today won us the game.

number9dream
23-11-2019, 06:21 PM
A strong bench, with those three coming on...
Thought Mallan was a bit unlucky not to be on 10 mins earlier since nothing was really working out for Allan after the interval.
Allan was tremendous in the first half though.
Horgan on target, Mallan so close when he hit the post, Boyle really should have done a lot better with the rebound.
Good headache for the new boss.

wookie70
23-11-2019, 06:41 PM
They all worked but I thought he was a little slow deploying them. Kamberi had taken a knock and was struggling and I thought Boyler should have replaced him earlier. I thought Newell was still doing well but the sub made us better adn was a good decision. Allan had a terrible spell giving the ball away in dangerous positions and had started to look tired around the hour mark, I'd have had Mallan on for Scottie at least 15 minutes earlier. Good start by Ross keeping a winning side and then making good decisions on the subs which all worked.

Pretty Boy
23-11-2019, 06:43 PM
He changed the formation and it both shored up the midfield and gave us an out all when breaking.

Good game management.

Smartie
23-11-2019, 07:11 PM
It was interesting formation that we seemed to finish the game with - 2 central players tucked in behind the central striker (Horgan and Mallan in behind Doidge).

I thought Mallan had a very good 10 minutes or so - a nice pass as part of the move for the goal and it was a nicely timed run that saw him one on one with the keeper and he was unlucky to hit the post.

It was much more like what I was expecting when we signed Mallan, no plodding about in front of the back 4 losing runners and not making tackles.

I wonder if there is scope for us to have both him and Allan playing in behind Doidge?

It was certainly a good way to close the game out. We were under the cosh for a spell around 60-75 minutes and under Heckingbottom we were being picked off at times like that.

Today we weren't.

theonlywayisup
23-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Agreed.

Hecky's subs weakened the team. Today, the subs maintained the forward momentum.

Vault Boy
23-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Agreed, we needed it and it was done. Refreshing.