PDA

View Full Version : A View from the Terrace - Latapy v Allan

hibby rae
23-11-2019, 08:36 AM
For those who didn't see last night's episode, from just after the 30 min mark they talk about who is the better player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000blgw/a-view-from-the-terrace-series-2-episode-9

bigwheel
23-11-2019, 08:37 AM
I’d have to say Latapy , but Allan still has many years to develop ...

eastterrace
23-11-2019, 08:37 AM
For those who didn't see last night's episode, from just after the 30 min mark they talk about who is the better player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000blgw/a-view-from-the-terrace-series-2-episode-9no contest latapy every time .he was a magician.

we are hibs
23-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Latapy. Both were/are a joy to watch and unique footballers who dont come along often in Leith so we should enjoy these type of players when we have them.

scotiaf
23-11-2019, 08:45 AM
Allan would have to do something very special in the next few years to be compared to Latapy. I love Allan but different levels

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Latapy

Pretty sure Latapy at his height was ranked in the top 30 players in the world

Might be wrong

Edit:

Nominated FIFA World Player of the year 2000

Edit:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/5894

hfc rd
23-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Latapy by a mile. Take nothing away from Allan as he is a quality player but nowhere near as good as what Latapy was.

Winston Ingram
23-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Latapy comfortably

sambajustice
23-11-2019, 09:06 AM
This isnt even a real conversation

hibby rae
23-11-2019, 09:11 AM
The problem for Allan obviously is his career has stuttered at times, although I would say he is far more professional than Latapy was. If Latapy was coming though now his lifestyle would have to be drastically different.

Given things like that have changed from Latapy's era, the argument could be made that Allan faces sterner opposition in Scotland these days.

bigwheel
23-11-2019, 09:13 AM
This isnt even a real conversation

That’s fair in reflection ..Latapy streets ahead. However. He is a high benchmark

ancient hibee
23-11-2019, 09:15 AM
Comparing the current team with the Latapy era-he played with much better players.

Since452
23-11-2019, 09:24 AM
As good as Scott Allan is, he is light years away from the level of Latapy, thats how good he was. Wages were much higher then too to be fair. Shudder to think what Latapy, Sauzee and Zitelli were earning.

jacomo
23-11-2019, 09:37 AM
As good as Scott Allan is, he is light years away from the level of Latapy, thats how good he was. Wages were much higher then too to be fair. Shudder to think what Latapy, Sauzee and Zitelli were earning.

If Scotty wins some silverware with us then I will be more than open to consider him on Latapy’s level.

Mind that Latapy - great player though he was - totally sabotaged our cup final v Celtc by going out on the pish with Dwight Yorke the week before.

franks
23-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Been attending ER for 60 years. Latapy is up there with the best I've seen. Alllan is a good player. No contest.

Since452
23-11-2019, 09:40 AM
If Scotty wins some silverware with us then I will be more than open to consider him on Latapy’s level.

Mind that Latapy - great player though he was - totally sabotaged our cup final v Celtc by going out on the pish with Dwight Yorke the week before.

Yeah. We call these guys legends but for me the likes of Gray and McGinn are the real legends. Guys who weren't on mega money but had genuine affection for the club and have winners medals to go with it

Eyrie
23-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Fortunate to have seen both play and, speaking as an Allan fan, Latapy is a no-brainer.

Robbo6-2
23-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Love both

FilipinoHibs
23-11-2019, 10:10 AM

It was more than the week before. That behaviour was going on all the time. I always suspected it was set up. We could not afford to resign him and fans would have been up in arms.

WeeRussell
23-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Allan is my favourite player in years at Hibs.

Latapy is my favourite ever.

bawheid
23-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Millennium derby at Tynie. There was a 10 minute spell just after half time where Latapy was completely untouchable. The Merrick midfield couldn’t get near him that night. A brilliant, brilliant player.

BILLYHIBS
23-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Anyone remember the BT advert where Latapy scores the winning penalty versus the yams at Easter Road and ET goes radge!

ac1
23-11-2019, 10:50 AM
Millennium derby at Tynie. There was a 10 minute spell just after half time where Latapy was completely untouchable. The Merrick midfield couldn’t get near him that night. A brilliant, brilliant player.

He was incredible that night - think it was the best individual hibs performance I have seen from a Hibs player at Tynecastle (not old enough for the Tornadoes)

On a side note I met him and Matty Jack at the 3 sisters on my birthday back in the day and he must have smoked about 10 fags and had numerous beers :greengrin what a player though!

G B Young
23-11-2019, 10:53 AM
You could watch this all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUaN2f-sUxI

wookie70
23-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Latapy by a very wide margin. Allan will have to get a good deal better to get to that level. adding goals to his game this year is a great start

jacomo
23-11-2019, 11:03 AM
It was more than the week before. That behaviour was going on all the time. I always suspected it was set up. We could not afford to resign him and fans would have been up in arms.

That’s quite the conspiracy theory.

Latapy wanted to move to Rangers.

CMurdoch
23-11-2019, 12:23 PM
Another good programme last night and Fowler had even had a little bit of a haircut

FilipinoHibs
23-11-2019, 12:28 PM
That’s quite the conspiracy theory.

Latapy wanted to move to Rangers.

Yes because we could not match his wage demands. The fans would have gone berserk if we let go there. So easier to sack him for the type of behaviour that was previously tolerated.

Peevemor
23-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Yes because we could not match his wage demands. The fans would have gone berserk if we let go there. So easier to sack him for the type of behaviour that was previously tolerated.We had an Edinburgh derby on the Sunday (a fortnight before the SC final IIRC). Latapy didn't show up for training on the Friday, opting instead to go on the piss with Dwight Yorke and getting caught by the police that night driving while being almost 4 times over the limit.

By this stage his contract was almost finished and he'd already refused the new deal offered by Hibs.

Forget any conspiracy theories. He was already on his way and he screwed in the most public of fashions.

Roxyhibee
23-11-2019, 01:27 PM
Love Allan and I think there’s a lot more to come from him with the right manager, but Latapy is miles ahead.

The SPL was a higher standard back then, we were all spending TV cash, rapidly to run out.

Not sure anyone from our current squad would have even started on the 6-2 night. Maybe Bogdan and Porteous. Allan on the bench..

bingo70
23-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Really disappointed it’s such a one sided argument as I love Scott Allan (probably more than I should)

Saying that, it’s Latapy every time, he was incredible.

Could Latapy do it while putting up with what Allan has had to contend with in terms of his medical condition? No chance Imo

jacomo
23-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Yes because we could not match his wage demands. The fans would have gone berserk if we let go there. So easier to sack him for the type of behaviour that was previously tolerated.

Ok, but this is only in your head. Absolutely no evidence at all.

easty
23-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Latapy. It’s no even close. Allan is brilliant but Latapy was a level above.

HoboHarry
23-11-2019, 03:32 PM
No one who watched Latapy at Hibs would regard this as a serious subject for discussion.

Robinho08
23-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Can't argue with that. Love View from the Terrace. 😁

A Hi-Bee
23-11-2019, 03:56 PM
No one who watched Latapy at Hibs would regard this as a serious subject for discussion.

Agree hardly comparing apples with apples.

I_Love_Latapy
23-11-2019, 04:44 PM
Latapy.

It’s his fault I became a Hibs fan when I moved to the city. What a player.

judas
23-11-2019, 04:53 PM
For those who didn't see last night's episode, from just after the 30 min mark they talk about who is the better player: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000blgw/a-view-from-the-terrace-series-2-episode-9

Latapy on an entirely different level. Totally superior.

Allan an excellent player though.

judas
23-11-2019, 04:54 PM

This

The Harp Awakes
23-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Not a fair comparison as Scott Allan still has a lot of football to play in his career.

Both players are/were natural fits for Hibernian. Class acts loved by the fans.

lyonhibs
23-11-2019, 05:08 PM
It's not really a serious adult debate is it? Latapy by an absolute mile

Sammy7nil
23-11-2019, 05:18 PM
About 25 years ago ITV had a programme where they compared two sportsmen / women to decide "Who is the greatest" They put Keegan up against George Best i thought like this thread no contest. However the panel of " experts" gave the vote to Keegan due to his better tackling. WTF :rolleyes::bitchy::doh::tee hee:

HoboHarry
23-11-2019, 05:23 PM
About 25 years ago ITV had a programme where they compared two sportsmen / women to decide "Who is the greatest" They put Keegan up against George Best i thought like this thread no contest. However the panel of " experts" gave the vote to Keegan due to his better tackling. WTF :rolleyes::bitchy::doh::tee hee:
I remember that too, think the nationalities of the panel members may have had something to do with the verdict 😁

Pete
23-11-2019, 05:28 PM
I'd say Scott Allan by a distance.

Latapy must be into his fifties now.

supermcginn
23-11-2019, 05:39 PM
I'm probably Allan's biggest fan but he's not in the same bracket as latapy. He was different class !

berwickhibee
23-11-2019, 06:45 PM
48 years old and latapy still the most talented player ive seen for hibs.

Cup final and joining rangers left a bitter taste, but what a player and his best performance has to be the millenium derby,unplayable.

SideBurns
23-11-2019, 07:08 PM
That Hibs managed to sign a player of Latapy's quality is still incredible, and it's unfair on Scott Allan (a terrific footballer in his own right) that he should be compared with him.

davym7062
23-11-2019, 10:02 PM
its easy to latapy as no doubt very special but uve got to remember the players he was in the team with! Sauzee zitelli laursen john oneil and others allowed him the freedom to show his class. scott allan is playing with a team nowhere near that level. they are both brilliant IMO