PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2020 playoffs

Diclonius
20-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Just seen that all the semi finals and finals will be played on the same day, at the same time. Surely not - UEFA would want to maximise TV revenue for these?

I've got something else booked for that day and won't be able to make the semi final if it isn't moved. :grr:

TamHibs
20-11-2019, 10:06 AM
Unless something changes all semi finals are booked for 26th March and the final on 31st March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergus52
20-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Might not even have to play them if Russia gets done for doping

lord bunberry
20-11-2019, 01:39 PM
What’s the story behind that?

BlackSheep
20-11-2019, 01:43 PM
What’s the story behind that?

Story broke last night/this morning that all Russian sporting has been under scrutiny (not new news) and if they are found guilty then they could be banned from all major sporting events and from being hosts for a certain number of years. The decision will be made around Dec 8th....

Uefa has said that any decisions regarding doping that are decided by any sporting governing body will be upheld by Uefa, so Russia would be expelled from Euro 2020 and Scotland would take their place as runners up in our qualifying group.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 01:44 PM
Story broke last night/this morning that all Russian sporting has been under scrutiny (not new news) and if they are found guilty then they could be banned from all major sporting events and from being hosts for a certain number of years. The decision will be made around Dec 8th....

Uefa has said that any decisions regarding doping that are decided by any sporting governing body will be upheld by Uefa, so Russia would be expelled from Euro 2020 and Scotland would take their place as runners up in our qualifying group.

We never get that kind of luck tbh.

southsider
20-11-2019, 01:46 PM

Ah so if doping charge is proven the Russia gets kicked out we move up to 2nd in the group behind Belgium ? Can’t see it mind.

Diclonius
20-11-2019, 02:16 PM

It isn't a given that UEFA would give us their spot, unless Russia's group matches are forfeit and we move into second by default.

They'll probably just give it to Iceland.

surreyhibbie
20-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Russia are one of the hosts aren't they? would have to reschedule a few matches...

lord bunberry
20-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Mon the anti doping guys.

Smartie
20-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Mon the anti doping guys.

Yes, and mon the "blind eye to financial doping within the domestic game" guys too.

RoYO!
20-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Should really go to the best third place team out of all groups. Which I’m assuming isn’t us?!

Although I suppose if upheld that would mean that Scotland were up against a team with an unfair advantage? (No, not just Football ability!)

bingo70
20-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Should really go to the best third place team out of all groups. Which I’m assuming isn’t us?!

Although I suppose if upheld that would mean that Scotland were up against a team with an unfair advantage? (No, not just Football ability!)

Nobody else in the other groups had played games at a disadvantage so don’t see why Scotland should be punished again.

If they hadn’t cheated against us we might have finished second, no other teams in any other group can say that.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 04:25 PM
Russia are one of the hosts aren't they? would have to reschedule a few matches...

Why? We are also hosts as are Ireland and Romania, we all might not make it.

Groathillgrump
20-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Why? We are also hosts as are Ireland and Romania, we all might not make it.

If they get banned the Russians might throw their toys out the pram and say they're not hosting their scheduled fixtures anymore.

davhibby
20-11-2019, 04:36 PM
If they get banned the Russians might throw their toys out the pram and say they're not hosting their scheduled fixtures anymore.

They’ll be banned from hosting so no need for any toy throwing

hfc rd
20-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Ban them.

G B Young
20-11-2019, 05:02 PM
We never get that kind of luck tbh.

We've got a massive slice of luck in having a back door opportunity to play at the Euros. I still don't get the Nations League route. The Euros should be a showpiece event featuring the top teams, not compromised by making room for teams that aren't good enough to be there. A glance at the final points tallies and goal differences in our Euro qualifying group shows we were absolutely miles off the pace and this play-off route we've kept open by scraping past Israel and Albania does nothing to improve the standard of our national game. I know it's been 22 years since we qualified for anything and that we should perhaps be grateful for small mercies but we simply don't deserve to be there IMHO.

Just_Jimmy
20-11-2019, 05:16 PM
We've got a massive slice of luck in having a back door opportunity to play at the Euros. I still don't get the Nations League route. The Euros should be a showpiece event featuring the top teams, not compromised by making room for teams that aren't good enough to be there. A glance at the final points tallies and goal differences in our Euro qualifying group shows we were absolutely miles off the pace and this play-off route we've kept open by scraping past Israel and Albania does nothing to improve the standard of our national game. I know it's been 22 years since we qualified for anything and that we should perhaps be grateful for small mercies but we simply don't deserve to be there IMHO.If Russia have cheated then we deserve it more than them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gordy M
20-11-2019, 05:28 PM
We've got a massive slice of luck in having a back door opportunity to play at the Euros. I still don't get the Nations League route. The Euros should be a showpiece event featuring the top teams, not compromised by making room for teams that aren't good enough to be there. A glance at the final points tallies and goal differences in our Euro qualifying group shows we were absolutely miles off the pace and this play-off route we've kept open by scraping past Israel and Albania does nothing to improve the standard of our national game. I know it's been 22 years since we qualified for anything and that we should perhaps be grateful for small mercies but we simply don't deserve to be there IMHO.

Eh? How is it a massive 'slice of luck' when everyome knows the rules before it starts? And this scraping past teams thing, a win is a win, its just another way to slag of the national team which folk take great delight in doing. We WON our nations league group and absolutely deserve the chance to qualify.....as those are the rules. Jeez.

james62
20-11-2019, 05:53 PM
It isn't a given that UEFA would give us their spot, unless Russia's group matches are forfeit and we move into second by default.

They'll probably just give it to Iceland.

If they apply the same logic they did in 1992 with Denmark taking Yugoslavia's place then it will be us :agree:

HibbyAndy
20-11-2019, 06:10 PM
If they apply the same logic they did in 1992 with Denmark taking Yugoslavia's place then it will be us :agree:

And Like Denmark did in 92 we could even win the hing :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
20-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Absolutely no chance Russia will be kicked out.

Brummie_Hibs
20-11-2019, 06:26 PM
Gazprom are sponsors of the Uefa Champions League. I'm sure a lot of Uefa delegates palms have been well oiled in the past to ensure Uefa stay clear of meddling with Russia.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 06:35 PM

True. It won’t be hard to find stadiums far easier to reach if that’s the case though.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 06:36 PM

That’s not really lucky though, it’s benefiting hopefully from the new format. We usually draw strong teams in our group and have no chance from the beginning.

Newry Hibs
20-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Just thinking this would be Scotland's first one off match to progress.

Can think of two-legged play offs and a fair few winner take all group matches.

HibbyAndy
20-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Just thinking this would be Scotland's first one off match to progress.

Can think of two-legged play offs and a fair few winner take all group matches.

Not quite up to speed on all things Scotland but is this where we are ?.. Is it a 1 off game at Hampden to decide if we make the Euros ?

stantonhibby
20-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Not quite up to speed on all things Scotland but is this where we are ?.. Is it a 1 off game at Hampden to decide if we make the Euros ?

Semi final then a final. Semi is definitely at Hampden. Final might be.

hfc rd
20-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Semi final then a final. Semi is definitely at Hampden. Final might be.

Draw on Friday to determine who we will play in the semi and if we will get home advantage for the final if we win our semi.

Massively need home advantage as I can’t see us going to either Norway or Serbia and winning.

G B Young
20-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Eh? How is it a massive 'slice of luck' when everyome knows the rules before it starts? And this scraping past teams thing, a win is a win, its just another way to slag of the national team which folk take great delight in doing. We WON our nations league group and absolutely deserve the chance to qualify.....as those are the rules. Jeez.

I'm not saying we haven't earned the opportunity via the rules, but IMHO the new rules are daft and only serve to diminish the tournament. If they hadn't been brought in we'd be further away from qualifying than ever, so the timing is fortunate.

I'd simply rather see Scotland good enough to reach a major finals as they once did by being among the better teams in qualifying. Instead we're somehow still in with a chance of qualifying despite a series of humpings by Belgium and Russia and reaching new heights of humiliation by losing to Kazakhstan and Israel.

A couple of dead rubber wins over Cyprus and San Marino and suddenly we're rolling out Craig Brown to proclaim us potential world beaters.

If it's simply about giving a new generation of the tartan army a chance to don their kilts at a major tournament then fine, but I'd prefer to see us go there on footballing merit.

G B Young
20-11-2019, 07:52 PM
That’s not really lucky though, it’s benefiting hopefully from the new format. We usually draw strong teams in our group and have no chance from the beginning.

This gets trotted out as though it's somehow the luck of the draw and that we're always really unfortunate to be paired with stronger teams, whereas England are perceived to get easy draws. In fact it's down to us being so poor for so long that we've tumbled down the seeding pots and are therefore guaranteed to end up in groups we can't qualify from.

JimBHibees
20-11-2019, 08:06 PM
This gets trotted out as though it's somehow the luck of the draw and that we're always really unfortunate to be paired with stronger teams, whereas England are perceived to get easy draws. In fact it's down to us being so poor for so long that we've tumbled down the seeding pots and are therefore guaranteed to end up in groups we can't qualify from.

But once you are a top seed the groups are obviously much easier.

fulshie
20-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Russia are one of the hosts aren't they? would have to reschedule a few matches...Yip, and what about the teams the Russian players play for domestically?

Gordy M
20-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Yes and the games that you have written off as meaningless rubbers all contribute to seedings and getting into 'easier' groups. I really dont see what your point is? I guarantee that if ROI or Nor Ireland get there via the play offs, plenty will be on here complaining how once again we arent at a tournament but the other home nations are??

Its almost like that you have mumped and moaned about how bad we are you dont want us to qualify as it would ruin your chances to critisizing the national team.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 08:47 PM

The best team we had in numerous years we drew Italy France and Ukraine, two World Cup finalists and a Semi. This time we drew arguably the best team in world football. Last time we drew England Slovenia and Slovakia, this time England drew absolute lie downs.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Yes and the games that you have written off as meaningless rubbers all contribute to seedings and getting into 'easier' groups. I really dont see what your point is? I guarantee that if ROI or Nor Ireland get there via the play offs, plenty will be on here complaining how once again we arent at a tournament but the other home nations are??

Its almost like that you have mumped and moaned about how bad we are you dont want us to qualify as it would ruin your chances to critisizing the national team.

How about just back the National team instead of making up every excuse s to how ***** we are? Just a thought.

Sammy7nil
20-11-2019, 08:54 PM
But once you are a top seed the groups are obviously much easier.

Of course it is you get teams like Scotland in your group :wink:

I think we can win the semi however unless the final is at home we should just concede and save the fans and the SFA some money.

CorrieHibs
20-11-2019, 09:40 PM
I'm not saying we haven't earned the opportunity via the rules, but IMHO the new rules are daft and only serve to diminish the tournament. If they hadn't been brought in we'd be further away from qualifying than ever, so the timing is fortunate.

I'd simply rather see Scotland good enough to reach a major finals as they once did by being among the better teams in qualifying. Instead we're somehow still in with a chance of qualifying despite a series of humpings by Belgium and Russia and reaching new heights of humiliation by losing to Kazakhstan and Israel.

A couple of dead rubber wins over Cyprus and San Marino and suddenly we're rolling out Craig Brown to proclaim us potential world beaters.

If it's simply about giving a new generation of the tartan army a chance to don their kilts at a major tournament then fine, but I'd prefer to see us go there on footballing merit.

But, we finished third and that would have been enough to gain a play off slot with or without the Nations League. Therefore, we are there on merit unlike Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel and Romania who didn’t finish third in their qualifying groups.

Plus it’s not easy, because Norway and Serbia aren’t mugs. Serbia got to the last 16 of the WC! God knows how they were in pot 3.

FilipinoHibs
21-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Denmark qualified because they were runners up in Yugoslavia's qualifying group - only the group winners went through automatically in 1992. Yugolslavia was in the middle of a civil war and break up into constituent countries.You would imagine the same logic would apply to Russia and we would go.

number9dream
21-11-2019, 09:20 AM
But, we finished third and that would have been enough to gain a play off slot with or without the Nations League. Therefore, we are there on merit unlike Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel and Romania who didn’t finish third in their qualifying groups.

Plus it’s not easy, because Norway and Serbia aren’t mugs. Serbia got to the last 16 of the WC! God knows how they were in pot 3.

The play offs are based only on the NL, nothing to do with where teams finished in Euro qualifying groups.
Who knows what they’ll dream up for next NL but we’ll be in the B division with much harder opposition than Albania & Israel, so it probably won’t matter for Scotland.
It might offer up a couple of play off spots for the World Cup but nothing like the 4 spots up for grabs at the Euros.

danhibees1875
21-11-2019, 09:42 AM
The play offs are based only on the NL, nothing to do with where teams finished in Euro qualifying groups.
Who knows what they’ll dream up for next NL but we’ll be in the B division with much harder opposition than Albania & Israel, so it probably won’t matter for Scotland.
It might offer up a couple of play off spots for the World Cup but nothing like the 4 spots up for grabs at the Euros.

Is the NL an annual tournament? If so, places for Euro and WC would only be up for grabs every 2 years. Our best bet would be to get relegated in-between tournaments so we have easier playoffs in the years that count. :greengrin

J-C
21-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Is the NL an annual tournament? If so, places for Euro and WC would only be up for grabs every 2 years. Our best bet would be to get relegated in-between tournaments so we have easier playoffs in the years that count. :greengrin

Is it not a special one off anniversary tournament, hence why group games are being held all over Europe.

poulton hibs
21-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Is it not a special one off anniversary tournament, hence why group games are being held all over Europe.

I think it is intended to be used for Euro's qualification, not World Cup, going forward with promotion and relegation so Scotland won their group and are promoted from the C group of teams to the B group of teams for the next NL competition feeding in to Euro 24.

SlickShoes
21-11-2019, 11:01 AM
The NL provides some meaningful games, that would usually just be pointless friendlies. It gives access to playoffs which I think is totally fair, and if it lets a lesser nation into the Euros once every 4 years what's the big deal? Europe has a huge glut of top-ranked teams that it's a huge deal when someone else breaks through and qualifies, we need to just make the most of what's infront of us instead of spending years sulking and lamenting how good we used to be.

We were that GOOD, in fact, we never got out of the first round of any tournament, so it's not even like we were regularly winning anything, just getting knocked out a round later than currently.

danhibees1875
21-11-2019, 11:23 AM

I was under the impression they were doing the NL every year. Every 4 years the current route to the Euros would be available.

I also thought that in 2 years time there was going to be a similar variant for world cup qualification.

The 2 years in 4 without a tournament were just for fun - and therefore advantageous to get relegated and have easier qualification routes. Although that would have a negative impact on coefficient.

number9dream
21-11-2019, 11:28 AM
There’s definitely going to be a World Cup related NL but UEFA haven’t revealed the details yet.
We’ll be in path B this time, so it might make sense to get relegated to C again for next Euros...
Germany are being reinstated to A despite finishing bottom of their group, so they are clearly making stuff up as they go along.
I’d guess there will be some related play off but not a direct entry to the World Cup, where there are quite enough European teams already.

bod
21-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Germany never got relegated cause more countries were invited to join,but your right ,big teams get away with things

J-C
21-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Thanks guys, just made me even more confused 🤯

Diclonius
21-11-2019, 11:33 AM
The NL provides some meaningful games, that would usually just be pointless friendlies. It gives access to playoffs which I think is totally fair, and if it lets a lesser nation into the Euros once every 4 years what's the big deal? Europe has a huge glut of top-ranked teams that it's a huge deal when someone else breaks through and qualifies, we need to just make the most of what's infront of us instead of spending years sulking and lamenting how good we used to be.

We were that GOOD, in fact, we never got out of the first round of any tournament, so it's not even like we were regularly winning anything, just getting knocked out a round later than currently.

:agree:

Should point out that in spite of this new format, all the big names have made it to the tournament this year. The highest ranked team that hasn't (yet) qualified is Iceland, and they probably will anyway.

CMurdoch
21-11-2019, 11:48 AM
:agree:

Should point out that in spite of this new format, all the big names have made it to the tournament this year. The highest ranked team that hasn't (yet) qualified is Iceland, and they probably will anyway.

6 currently unqualified teams are FIFA ranked higher than Iceland.

Steven79
21-11-2019, 11:59 AM

We were actually good enough to get to the later stages of tournaments in the past it's just a lack of self belief that stopped us.

Steven79
21-11-2019, 12:01 PM
There’s definitely going to be a World Cup related NL but UEFA haven’t revealed the details yet.
We’ll be in path B this time, so it might make sense to get relegated to C again for next Euros...
Germany are being reinstated to A despite finishing bottom of their group, so they are clearly making stuff up as they go along.
I’d guess there will be some related play off but not a direct entry to the World Cup, where there are quite enough European teams already.

Wouldn't it be easier for Germany to qualify for a play-off if they were in B rather than A so I'm not sure how it helps them.

California-Hibs
21-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Draw on Friday to determine who we will play in the semi and if we will get home advantage for the final if we win our semi.

Massively need home advantage as I can’t see us going to either Norway or Serbia and winning.

This is the way I see it. Not really bothered who we draw in the list for the Semi as I think we're more than capable to beat any of them at Hampden. So its the wether we get home advantage or not for the Final is what I'm really looking out for. Don't fancy going away against Serbia or Norway however would be a lot more confident at home!

CMurdoch
21-11-2019, 12:26 PM
The nations league win has given us the advantage of a home semi final in the play off.

What of our possible semi final opponents?
Romania are highest ranked in the Fifa rankings at an impressive 29th which is above that of both our possible opponents in the final, so hope we avoid them
The rest are ranked as follows:
50th Hungary
53rd Scotland
61st Bulgaria
89th Israel

Hopefully home advantage will be enough to see us through to the final.

Best hope of progression after that is a home draw against Serbia or Norway.
Both good and improving teams unfortunately.
Their current Fifa rankings are as follows:
33rd Serbia
45th Norway

IMO Serbia are the better team of the 2 and we would stand a better chance against Norway in a British football type game. Norway have home advantage in their semi final so that may tip the tie in their favour which i think would benefit Scotland.

The draw is on Friday. Fingers firmly crossed for a home draw for the final.

Re the big picture Scotland need to get into pot 2 to have a realistic chance of qualifying automatically for tournaments.
Otherwise you are relying on getting drawn in a group with one of the weaker 2nd pot teams such as Denmark.

In the qualification just finished Scotland came out of pot 3 and comfortably finished 3rd with the loss in Kazakhstan rendered meaningless.
When they drew Belgium & Russia only a madman would have put money on them qualifying and the clever money would have been firmly on 3rd.
Pointless fact; Scotland finished with the 3rd top points total of teams that finished 3rd in their groups after Iceland and Norway.

P.S. the latest Fifa ranking come out before the end of the month and will hopefully see Scotland break into the Top 50.

patlowe
21-11-2019, 01:06 PM

I think we would have been the 9th best 3rd placed team once you take away the points from the San Marino games, so would have just missed out on the playoffs. I may be wrong though. And to an extent it's a moot point as things would have turned out differently if teams went in knowing that 3rd offered a potential playoff spot. But as you say, we have more of a claim than many of the teams competing for these Nations League spots and it's a particular kind of Scottishness that would begrudge us this chance. Let's hope the players step up and it's the start of an upward spiral for our game.

Diclonius
21-11-2019, 02:09 PM
The nations league win has given us the advantage of a home semi final in the play off.

What of our possible semi final opponents?
Romania are highest ranked in the Fifa rankings at an impressive 29th which is above that of both our possible opponents in the final, so hope we avoid them
The rest are ranked as follows:
50th Hungary
53rd Scotland
61st Bulgaria
89th Israel

Our opponents will therefore be Romania. Absolutely zero question.

hfc rd
21-11-2019, 03:18 PM
What time is the draw tomorrow?

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 03:27 PM
What time is the draw tomorrow?

And is it on tv?

G B Young
21-11-2019, 04:20 PM

I just don't like the dumbing down of what's supposed to be a showpiece tournament to give lesser lights a chance of getting in via the back door and I would find it hard to take much satisfaction from qualifying this way. Some sort of 'B' tournament for the also-rans would be a better option.

No, Scotland were never world beaters, but we were hugely more competitive than we are now. Yes there were embarrassments along the way (Peru, Iran and Costa Rica spring to mind) but these took place at the tournaments proper and we were actually unfortunate not to make it past the group stages of the Euros and the World Cup on a couple of occasions.

Just_Jimmy
21-11-2019, 04:31 PM
I just don't like the dumbing down of what's supposed to be a showpiece tournament to give lesser lights a chance of getting in via the back door and I would find it hard to take much satisfaction from qualifying this way. Some sort of 'B' tournament for the also-rans would be a better option.

No, Scotland were never world beaters, but we were hugely more competitive than we are now. Yes there were embarrassments along the way (Peru, Iran and Costa Rica spring to mind) but these took place at the tournaments proper and we were actually unfortunate not to make it past the group stages of the Euros and the World Cup on a couple of occasions.Pish. Rules were in place before a ball was kicked.

Get us in whatever way it takes.

It's been a generation since we last went to anything and I'm sick of watching utter dross from other qualifying regions while we're at home because we play in a region that's ridiculously competitive at the top end.

CorrieHibs
21-11-2019, 06:44 PM
I think we would have been the 9th best 3rd placed team once you take away the points from the San Marino games, so would have just missed out on the playoffs. I may be wrong though. And to an extent it's a moot point as things would have turned out differently if teams went in knowing that 3rd offered a potential playoff spot. But as you say, we have more of a claim than many of the teams competing for these Nations League spots and it's a particular kind of Scottishness that would begrudge us this chance. Let's hope the players step up and it's the start of an upward spiral for our game.

No, we have more points than Greece and North Macedonia. So, we’re there on merit.

It’s not easy qualifying in Europe for any competition. There are lots of nations and some are the best in world, hence the reason no country outside of Europe has won the WC since 2002. And it took a very special team to do so.

Think folk should just start getting behind the national team. No wonder we have so many call offs. Cannae blame the players when they hear the negativity.

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 06:53 PM
So does anyone know when the draws are tomorrow and surely on tv?
Thanks

hfc rd
21-11-2019, 07:06 PM
So does anyone know when the draws are tomorrow and surely on tv?
Thanks

Just checked the UEFA website and it starts at 12. Streamed live on their site.

Gloucester Hibs
21-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Exactly, we’ve had some horrendous groups over the years (I appreciate our awful FIFA ranking plays its part too). 2008 Euros we had both World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist in our group, and came pretty close to qualifying. We’re due a rub of the green!

davhibby
21-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Exactly, we’ve had some horrendous groups over the years (I appreciate our awful FIFA ranking plays its part too). 2008 Euros we had both World Cup finalists and a quarter finalist in our group, and came pretty close to qualifying. We’re due a rub of the green!

We’ve probably been in the top 2 or 3 most difficult groups every campaign from that group onwards. Obviously our ranking hasn’t helped but there are always “easier” better seeds but we never seem to get them.

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Thanks mate 👍

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Definitely. Likes of NI or wales seem to face countries on the decline better seeded, we get Belgium and Russia, both completely on the up after the last World Cup.

Newry Hibs
21-11-2019, 08:48 PM
BBC website saying if we qualify, we'll be in englands group.

blackpoolhibs
21-11-2019, 08:53 PM
I dont care how we get there, just get there and watch the country go absolutely mental.

And off the back of it, we just might catch the imagination of the youngsters of today who want to be footballers in the future.

Onceinawhile
21-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Is that cet?

Hibeesmad
21-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Definitely. Likes of NI or wales seem to face countries on the decline better seeded, we get Belgium and Russia, both completely on the up after the last World Cup.

The last euro qualifier Wales had Belgium in their group, then had England and Russia in the actual Euro Group stage, then had World Cup finalists Croatia in this Euro qualifier. NI had Germany and Netherlands in this qualifier, as well as Germany and Poland in the Euro Group stage back in 2016.

Both nations have done remarkably well to qualify. Scotland should be finishing above Russia imo.

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 09:13 PM
The last euro qualifier Wales had Belgium in their group, then had England and Russia in the actual Euro Group stage, then had World Cup finalists Croatia in this Euro qualifier. NI had Germany and Netherlands in this qualifier, as well as Germany and Poland in the Euro Group stage back in 2016.

Both nations have done remarkably well to qualify. Scotland should be finishing above Russia imo.

Russia where in transition focusing on having a squad for the World Cup they hosted. Didn’t Wales also have us in that group with Belgium?

NI have had it tough this time. When they qualified though they had Greece as top seeds and Hungary as second seeds. Both became utter pap. While Scotland had Belgium and Wales.

Hibeesmad
21-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Russia where in transition focusing on having a squad for the World Cup they hosted. Didn’t Wales also have us in that group with Belgium?

NI have had it tough this time. When they qualified though they had Greece as top seeds and Hungary as second seeds. Both became utter pap. While Scotland had Belgium and Wales.

I think it was the 2014 World Cup qualifiers that Wales were in with Scotland. Croatia and Serbia were also in that, tough group all round.

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 09:18 PM
I think it was the 2014 World Cup qualifiers that Wales were in with Scotland. Croatia and Serbia were also in that, tough group all round.

👍

lord bunberry
21-11-2019, 09:21 PM
I dont care how we get there, just get there and watch the country go absolutely mental.

And off the back of it, we just might catch the imagination of the youngsters of today who want to be footballers in the future.
Absolutely I remember tournaments like Euro 96. The day we played England you had to book into some pubs in advance, the whole country was at fever pitch. It was the same in 98 in France. If we get there the whole country will get behind the team.

Hibeesmad
21-11-2019, 09:21 PM
I think Scotland would struggle to beat Serbia if they were to play them. Serbia have only lost 2 of the 16 games played since the World Cup, which includes draws away to Portugal and Germany. Kolarov, Mitrovic, Ljajic, Milinkovic-Savic, Matic, Milivojevic and Tadic are some of the players they have.

The 90+2
21-11-2019, 09:27 PM
I think Scotland would struggle to beat Serbia if they were to play them. Serbia have only lost 2 of the 16 games played since the World Cup, which includes draws away to Portugal and Germany. Kolarov, Mitrovic, Ljajic, Milinkovic-Savic, Matic, Milivojevic and Tadic are some of the players they have.

We get them at home then we will have the biggest chance ever of making a tournament. Could do with a bye though tbh.

Hibeesmad
21-11-2019, 09:53 PM
We get them at home then we will have the biggest chance ever of making a tournament. Could do with a bye though tbh.

Is the final venue to be revealed tomorrow? Rep of Ireland v N Ireland would be a fantastic play off final for the neutral to watch.

darwenhibby
21-11-2019, 10:43 PM

Aye but we’ve got Mcginn
Super John Mcginn
I just don’t think you understand

Bristolhibby
22-11-2019, 12:53 AM

Getting Wales as bottom seed as they were on the rise was a terrible draw. They beat us home and away. Bizarrely we did the double on the top seed Croatia to balance out the “Peak Scotland” of the situation. Having a rising Belgium as second seed also was very Scotland.

J

Bristolhibby
22-11-2019, 12:57 AM
Also, Russia have form

Great Britain's four-man bobsleigh team finally receive bronze medals

JimBHibees
22-11-2019, 08:04 AM

I actually think Norway will beat Serbs.

Billy Whizz
22-11-2019, 09:06 AM

It’s 12 noon CET, so I presume 11am UK time

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-11-2019, 09:18 AM
We SHOULD win the semi final tie. Imo only chance we have in final would be if we get it at home and the hampden roar returns.

We're TWO games from reaching a major tournament where we would play 2 games at hampden and 1 at Wembley. Amazing

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-11-2019, 09:18 AM
It’s 12 noon CET, so I presume 11am UK time

Indeed

patlowe
22-11-2019, 09:37 AM
No, we have more points than Greece and North Macedonia. So, we’re there on merit.

It’s not easy qualifying in Europe for any competition. There are lots of nations and some are the best in world, hence the reason no country outside of Europe has won the WC since 2002. And it took a very special team to do so.

Think folk should just start getting behind the national team. No wonder we have so many call offs. Cannae blame the players when they hear the negativity.

Not 100% sure you're right as Greece drew with the bottom side so would effectively have more points than us from the games that count. Anyway, we're splitting hairs as I agree with the general point that we are far too negative and feel we will fully deserve our place at the Euros if we make it through the playoffs.

The draw this morning is absolutely huge for this generation as qualification will be really difficult for the next three tournaments at least after this (ie fewer places available for WC and being promoted to a harder group in the Nations League). Missing out again would be heartbreaking.

DarlingtonHibee
22-11-2019, 09:38 AM
We SHOULD win the semi final tie. Imo only chance we have in final would be if we get it at home and the hampden roar returns.

We're TWO games from reaching a major tournament where we would play 2 games at hampden and 1 at Wembley. Amazing

Should and Scotland 🤔

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 09:54 AM
Group will be the following:

England
France
Portugal
Scotland

Not even the perennial easy draw kings England will be able to avoid the magnet pull Scotland has on "groups of death". However, if we get the easiest option (England, Poland, Czech Republic, Scotland) we will fail to win the playoffs.

Oscar T Grouch
22-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Israel then

SlickShoes
22-11-2019, 10:13 AM
We were actually good enough to get to the later stages of tournaments in the past it's just a lack of self belief that stopped us.

We had some of the best footballers in the world in the 70's, I am sure they believed in themselves. It doesn't matter though anyway they never done anything of note other than beat England a few times.

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Good.

Vault Boy
22-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Best draw possible

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Final is away from home. We're not going.

Ah well!

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-11-2019, 10:17 AM
A great draw followed by a **** draw

Will be tough. We can do it

JeMeSouviens
22-11-2019, 10:18 AM
N Ireland vs Ireland if they both get through!

The Harp Awakes
Final is away from home. We're not going.

Ah well!

Away to who? Serbia or Norway - or is it those 2 in the other semi?

JeMeSouviens
Away to who? Serbia or Norway - or is it those 2 in the other semi?

Yep

The Harp Awakes
22-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Yep

Ok. Could do with Norway beating Serbia.

CMurdoch
22-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Yeessss
followed by
nooooo

Hope Norway win the other semi final

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 10:23 AM
What time's the final tournament draw?

cabbageandribs1875
could be a quick return to scotland for Rocky

assuming he's away in january, and not to another scottish club

GreenCastle
Marciano and Israel!

Serbia was the team to avoid.

Serbia away very tricky.

Norway also doing well.

JohnM1875
22-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Norway haven't lost at home since 2016. Including draws with Spain, Sweden x2 and Czech Republic.

Think I'd prefer Serbia!

CloudSquall
22-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Super John McGinn will see us through the away tie.

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2019, 10:28 AM
i'd prefer we play Serbia in the final

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Norway haven't lost at home since 2016. Including draws with Spain, Sweden x2 and Czech Republic.

Think I'd prefer Serbia!

They've also got an inernational-class striker, something that almost every European nation seems to get every decade or two with the exception of us.

Hibbyradge
22-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Super John McGinn will see us through the away tie.

If we get there!

CloudSquall
22-11-2019, 10:32 AM
N.Ireland vs Republic of Ireland in a final in Belfast would be tasty viewing :greengrin

Pretty Boy
22-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Should win at home to Israel. Away in the final will be very, very tough.

CloudSquall
22-11-2019, 10:34 AM
If we get there!

It would be quite typically Scottish to put all thought into the final and then get horsed 0-3 at home to Israel in the semi :greengrin

Gmack7
22-11-2019, 10:41 AM
They've also got an inernational-class striker, something that almost every European nation seems to get every decade or two with the exception of us.
So do we LG

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2019, 10:43 AM
we've got McGinn
i just don't think yi's understand

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 10:44 AM
So do we LG

Sadly he isn't quite there - though he could have been (along with Riordan) if circumstances were different.

I think Clarke and Lennon should be doing everything in their power to get him ready though. A loan to us maybe? :wink:

scoopyboy
22-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Our opponents will therefore be Romania. Absolutely zero question.

Good shout. :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Good shout. :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I'm delighted to be wrong. :greengrin

lucky
22-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Looks like it’s the norm for Scotland, falling at the last hurdle. I can’t see see Scotland winning in Norway or Serbia. Both the semi and final should have been two legged. A home draw is a huge advantage.

Hibeesmad
22-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Is the final played at a neutral ground? Should be anyway.

Hibernian Verse
22-11-2019, 11:07 AM
Is the final played at a neutral ground? Should be anyway.

It should be home and away but the international calendar doesn't allow for it.

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 11:11 AM
It should be home and away but the international calendar doesn't allow for it.

Or it should be at the home of the highest seeded team, like the semi finals. UEFA just make up the rules as they go along.

Hibernian Verse
22-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Or it should be at the home of the highest seeded team, like the semi finals. UEFA just make up the rules as they go along.Yeah youd think so

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

number9dream
22-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Looks bleak with the final away.

We did win on our last trip to Norway back in 2013 bu that was a friendly.
Last competitive game was a 4-0 trousering in 2009 when Gary Caldwell was sent off in the first half.
Lost in Serbia 2-0 under Strachan in the World Cup 2014 qualifying group.

As others have said, Norway have a long unbeaten record at home and I can't see us getting anything on a red hot night in Belgrade.

Ah well, at least I'll have tickets for Switzerland v Kosovo at Hampden...

hibsbollah
22-11-2019, 11:21 AM
As has been said, if we cant beat Israel and Norway/Serbia we don't deserve to get to the final stages of major tournaments. It's time for our best players to step up. McGinn, Robertson, Ryan Fraser,Tierney. On the other hand, when you look at what Haland is doing in Austria and in the champions League, and the Serbian front seven are probably worth over €300 million...They are clearly going to be strong favourites to beat us in an eventual final.

The 90+2
22-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Goodbye Euros :(

Sir David Gray
22-11-2019, 11:54 AM
We should beat Israel, we won't beat Norway or Serbia away.

JOD
22-11-2019, 11:56 AM
If anyone fancy going I have just booked my flight out of edinburgh on 30th to oslo.
There is then a flight to belgrade from oslo for £45 if necessary so it covers all the bases.
:greengrin

B.H.F.C
22-11-2019, 11:59 AM
It’s tough. But when you’re as pish as us, if you get to a position where qualification comes down to 90 minutes, you have to take it. Might be years before you get that chance again.

SteveHFC
22-11-2019, 12:00 PM
We should beat Israel, we won't beat Norway or Serbia away.

This.

lord bunberry
22-11-2019, 12:11 PM
It’s a pity we’re away if we get to the final, but it’s a one of game against a team that will be far from unbeatable. If Norway or Serbia were as good as some people are saying they’d have qualified from their groups.

California-Hibs
22-11-2019, 12:38 PM
We'll easily win the Semi, but I'm gutted we're away in the final. As others have said Norway unbeaten since 2016 and Seriba with some pretty impressive home wins also. If the final had been in Scotland I'd be 70% confident of progressing. Now its like 20%..

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-11-2019, 12:45 PM
In the last 5 or 6 years we've picked up results in Ireland, Poland (twice) and Croatia (twice) so we know we can go to countries above us in the rankings and get a result.

In that same period we've also lost to Georgia and Kazakhstan so we also know we have a shocker in us too

Clarke appears to know McGinn/McGregor and Christie's favoured positions. Let's hope LG can get himself fit and firing (ideally for us) and see what happens in the 180 mins of football (or more)

But we as a country needs to be behind the players and management staff for these games

hfc rd
22-11-2019, 12:46 PM
We'll easily win the Semi, but I'm gutted we're away in the final. As others have said Norway unbeaten since 2016 and Seriba with some pretty impressive home wins also. If the final had been in Scotland I'd be 70% confident of progressing. Now its like 20%..

Agree. Semi final draw is what I was hoping for but the crucial one had to be the home tie for the final. Personally can’t see us winning in either Norway or Serbia but here’s hoping they prove me and everyone else wrong!

hfc rd
22-11-2019, 12:47 PM
In the last 5 or 6 years we've picked up results in Ireland, Poland (twice) and Croatia (twice) so we know we can go to countries above us in the rankings and get a result.

In that same period we've also lost to Georgia and Kazakhstan so we also know we have a shocker in us too

Clarke appears to know McGinn/McGregor and Christie's favoured positions. Let's hope LG can get himself fit and firing (ideally for us) and see what happens in the 180 mins of football (or more)

But we as a country needs to be behind the players and management staff for these games

A loan move in January to Hibs would suit all parties 👍🏾🙏🏾

hibsbollah
22-11-2019, 01:05 PM
It’s a pity we’re away if we get to the final, but it’s a one of game against a team that will be far from unbeatable. If Norway or Serbia were as good as some people are saying they’d have qualified from their groups.

I think Serbia are better than what people are saying.

I must confess in ignorance I sometimes get my former Yugoslav republics confused (Serbia easily becomes Croatia becomes Bosnia becomes Montenegro Macedonia and then you've got the Swiss and Albanians with similar names) but their squad is full of frightening household names Mitrovic, Tadic who destroyed Real Madrid, Jovic at Real, two highly rated centre backs at Schalke and Fiorentina, Milinkovic Savic midfield genius at Lazio, Radonic at Marseille, and there's a fair guess their stadium won't be shy at the ultra carry on. Mission improbable.

Steven79
22-11-2019, 01:13 PM

I must confess in ignorance I sometimes get my former Yugoslav republics confused (Serbia easily becomes Croatia becomes Bosnia becomes Montenegro Macedonia and then you've got the Swiss and Albanians with similar names) but their squad is full of frightening household names Mitrovic, Tadic who destroyed Real Madrid, Jovic at Real, two highly rated centre backs at Schalke and Fiorentina, Milinkovic Savic midfield genius at Lazio, Radonic at Marseille, and there's a fair guess their stadium won't be shy at the ultra carry on. Mission improbable.

France away in 2007 was even harder was it not?

We can qualify with a positive mindset...

Bristolhibby
22-11-2019, 01:13 PM
It’s tough. But when you’re as pish as us, if you get to a position where qualification comes down to 90 minutes, you have to take it. Might be years before you get that chance again.

This. I was there for the 4-0. But we have beaten them in a friendly since. And won before then (Kenny Miller double?) so it’s not impossible.

Keep the faith.

If I had been offered beat Israel at home then a win or a draw/penalty shootout away v Norway to qualify at the start, of have taken it.

Two 90 minute games and we are in.

Playing a final at a non neutral venue or home is a pisser though.

J

The 90+2
22-11-2019, 01:14 PM

‘Mon the Norway :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
22-11-2019, 01:14 PM
We don't NEED to win out there. We need a draw and to win on Pens. That'll do. It'll be nervous and I'd love to win in 90 but we need to get through it.

hibsbollah
22-11-2019, 01:17 PM
‘Mon the Norway :greengrin

I think so :agree:

If the Serbs have a weakness it seems to be in defence; lost 5-0 against Ukraine and 4 against Ronaldo's Portugal and don't seem to keep many clean sheets, but they score plenty.

Since90+2
22-11-2019, 01:20 PM
That'll be Scotland out then.

SetonClapper
22-11-2019, 01:30 PM
We don't NEED to win out there. We need a draw and to win on Pens. That'll do. It'll be nervous and I'd love to win in 90 but we need to get through it.

I think that's key should we get that far. It's a much different mindset from having to win in 90 minutes.

Hibs4185
22-11-2019, 01:31 PM

We will need to bring in a special consultant for one game only to try and play for a draw. The guy who introduced the 4-6-0 to the world. Step forward Mr Craig Levein. Always knew he was ahead of his time.

The 90+2
22-11-2019, 01:47 PM
I think so :agree:

If the Serbs have a weakness it seems to be in defence; lost 5-0 against Ukraine and 4 against Ronaldo's Portugal and don't seem to keep many clean sheets, but they score plenty.

Who’s at home for their match mate?

JohnMcM
22-11-2019, 01:48 PM
It would be quite typically Scottish to put all thought into the final and then get horsed 0-3 at home to Israel in the semi :greengrin

Don't, just don't. :slipper:

hibsbollah
22-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Who’s at home for their match mate?

The whale killers are at home.

Diclonius
22-11-2019, 02:29 PM
Are all these games really going to be on the same day? That'd be ludicrous from a financial point of view and money does the talking for UEFA. Surely not?

norhfc
22-11-2019, 02:58 PM
The Norwegian media seem very confident calling it a dream draw.
No wonder really getting possibly 2 home games. Like most on here I think we,ll get past Israel then it’s all to play for either against Norway or Serbia. In a one off game who knows, my biggest concern is our center half’s.

Billy Whizz
22-11-2019, 03:25 PM
No wonder really getting possibly 2 home games. Like most on here I think we,ll get past Israel then it’s all to play for either against Norway or Serbia. In a one off game who knows, my biggest concern is our center half’s.

Norway’s home form is not that great, only beat Faroes and Malta at home in the qualifying group

CloudSquall
22-11-2019, 03:32 PM

My heart would give out watching Scotland participate in a penalty shoot out.

hibsbollah
22-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Scott McKenna against Braut Haland? No problem :eek:

Wilson
22-11-2019, 03:44 PM
Norway’s home form is not that great, only beat Faroes and Malta at home in the qualifying group

BBC says they haven't lost a home tie in three years. Not too shabby if true.

hfc rd
22-11-2019, 03:47 PM

They drew with Spain, Sweden & Romania at home which aren’t easy games and it shows this will be a very tough game if that is who we meet in the final. Also the prospect of Haaland up against McKenna gives me the shivers! I’d have been a little more confident playing them or Serbia at home as our away form isn’t that great as we only beat San Marino & Cyprus in our qualifiers.

The 90+2
22-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Norway Serbia to be a blood and thunder match sending offs and injuries cheers. Haaland to be done for diving for the winning penalty and suspended for the Scotland game.

The 90+2
22-11-2019, 03:49 PM
BBC says they haven't lost a home tie in three years. Not too shabby if true.

They didn’t have Belgium in their group though.

RoYO!
22-11-2019, 03:57 PM
Scotland have to hit their stride at some point. Surely..

I genuinely think there is something there.

Leigh coming back is make or break. He needs to be playing.

Just_Jimmy
22-11-2019, 03:58 PM
My heart would give out watching Scotland participate in a penalty shoot out.We always get beat when it matters so why worry?

But imagine.... If we won. Just imagine

Hibeesmad
22-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Scott McKenna against Braut Haland? No problem :eek:

😂😂😂

The 90+2
22-11-2019, 04:23 PM
😂😂😂

Mckenna to Keano him in the first five minutes.

CMurdoch
22-11-2019, 04:46 PM
Norway Serbia to be a blood and thunder match sending offs and injuries cheers. Haaland to be done for diving for the winning penalty and suspended for the Scotland game.

That's what we need.
Norway through after a blood and snotters game, sustaining injuries and tired going into the Scotland game a few days later.
King & Haland against our defence is a worry.

No chance we could beat Serbia in Belgrade.

cabbageandribs1875
22-11-2019, 04:47 PM

and neither is Serbia's lately, although two very credible 1-1's away to germany and portugal right enough

v ukraine 2-2
v luxembourg 3-2
v paraguay 1-0
v portugal 2-4

hhibs
22-11-2019, 05:15 PM
We always get beat when it matters so why worry?

But imagine.... If we won. Just imagine

After all as I pointedly remind my English friends,from experience, "It's the hope that kills you"

Just_Jimmy
22-11-2019, 05:23 PM
After all as I pointedly remind my English friends,from experience, "It's the hope that kills you"Whilst the sentiment is correct. I've never seen a death certificate which has cause of death listed as "hope". [emoji23][emoji23]

I've seen Hibs win the Scottish cup, nothing in football gets me worked up any more. It'll happen if it happens and if it doesn't, then I've seen Hibs win the Scottish cup, So I'm not that arsed.

EI255
22-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Really difficult to get remotely excited about this. The reasons are obvious.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
22-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Leigh Griffiths back playing again and likely to play a number of games for Celtic in December.
If he can get back to his best by March it will help our chances.

lord bunberry
22-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Really difficult to get remotely excited about this. The reasons are obvious.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk
Are they? Care to elaborate as I think most people are getting quite excited. We have a great chance of beating Israel and that gives us a one of game against a team that wasn’t good enough to qualify from their group. We won’t be favourites, but we’re not without a chance.

we are hibs
17-06-2020, 02:11 PM
Israel game now being played on 8th October. Behind closed doors you'd think. Wonder if people will need to apply for refunds or if they will just do it automatically?

Billy Whizz
17-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Has the Nations League been scrapped?

Bristolhibby
17-06-2020, 04:29 PM

It sure, but can see it happening. Or getting moved.

J

Frazerbob
17-06-2020, 11:36 PM

No

2 games in September
2 in October plus the play off Semi
2 in November plus the play off final (hopefully) or a friendly if we don’t beat Israel.

SteveHFC
17-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Israel game now being played on 8th October. Behind closed doors you'd think. Wonder if people will need to apply for refunds or if they will just do it automatically?

Hopefully we can get the full crowd for it.

TamHibs
17-06-2020, 11:40 PM
Hopefully we can get the full crowd for it.

ICT’s statement tonight would certainly indicate that they are expecting crowds back in October so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk