PDA

View Full Version : Best Hibs Book?

04Sauzee
20-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Hi folks, I'm looking for a book for my daughter, she goes to all the home games with us and a few away games and is always asking questions regarding our history.

What is the best Hibs book out there that talks about the History of Hibs and our origins and early years?

Cheers

BILLYHIBS
20-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Hi folks, I'm looking for a book for my daughter, she goes to all the home games with us and a few away games and is always asking questions regarding our history.

What is the best Hibs book out there that talks about the History of Hibs and our origins and early years?

Cheers
The Making of Hibernian Books 1,2 and 3 by Alan Lugton

Coco Bryce
20-11-2019, 09:18 AM
There's a great one in Costco.

It's all the big newspaper headline about Hibs since 1921

Around £20 I think?

Barman Stanton
20-11-2019, 09:31 AM
The Lugton books are excellent if you are after stats and history. However these books are generally crazy expensive now.

My personal favourite is 'Sunshine on Leith - Hibernians favourite sons'.

Bostonhibby
20-11-2019, 09:32 AM
The Making of Hibernian Books 1,2 and 3 by Alan LugtonDefinitely these for me.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

TimeForHeroes16
20-11-2019, 09:33 AM
"There is a bonny fitba team" by Ted Brack is one of my favorites.

Also "these colours don't run" but I don't think that's appropriate for you daughter depending on age.

04Sauzee
20-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Chewers folks I'll do my research on these books. The making of Hibernian books go for serious money

erin go bragh
20-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Sunshine on Leith is a great book . All different players and managers through the years , saying what it was like to play for Hibs .

BILLYHIBS
20-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Chewers folks I'll do my research on these books. The making of Hibernian books go for serious money

Part One : The Harp Awakes £40 EBay

Might be able to pick up a cheaper paperback

The book was reissued a couple of years back in paperback through Waterstones

www.birlinn.co.uk

Cataplana
20-11-2019, 10:59 AM
I liked Sunshine on Leith by Simon Pia.

EI255
20-11-2019, 12:45 PM
The Making of Hibernian Books 1,2 and 3 by Alan LugtonYip. Easily the best Hibs books EVER!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Andy.1875
20-11-2019, 12:49 PM
"There is a bonny fitba team" by Ted Brack is one of my favorites.

Also "these colours don't run" but I don't think that's appropriate for you daughter depending on age.

"these colours don't run" - have you ever read it?
Nothing to do about the history of the club.

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Glue - that book gives you a much more in depth account of Hibernian at the time :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
20-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Glue - that book gives you a much more in depth account of Hibernian at the time :greengrin

Better with Dead Mans Trousers they get to go to THE Cup Final

Spoiler Alert

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Better with Dead Mans Trousers they get to go to THE Cup Final

Spoiler Alert

Never read that. Thanks for that Billy, def’ getting ordered. 👍

Hiber-nation
20-11-2019, 01:28 PM
I liked Sunshine on Leith by Simon Pia.

That's my favourite as well, some great stories.

son of haggart
20-11-2019, 02:39 PM
There are a few good Hibs books in the charity shop at canonmills - Brandon terrace (in a shelf near the counter) - or at least there were when I was in on Friday

https://www.stcolumbashospice.org.uk/charity-shops/st-columbas-hospice-our-charity-shops/

TimeForHeroes16
20-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Yes I have I just thought it was a interesting read and hibs related.

04Sauzee
20-11-2019, 02:57 PM
There are a few good Hibs books in the charity shop at canonmills - Brandon terrace (in a shelf near the counter) - or at least there were when I was in on Friday

https://www.stcolumbashospice.org.uk/charity-shops/st-columbas-hospice-our-charity-shops/
Fantastic might have a look cheers

G B Young
20-11-2019, 03:12 PM
There's a great one in Costco.

It's all the big newspaper headline about Hibs since 1921

Around £20 I think?

Think I've seen that knocking around down the years. Is it updated to include 2016?

I've got the Lugton books which are incredibly detailed and a wonderful source of reference although you'd have to set aside a fair amount of time to get through them all.

Pat Stanton's biography 'The Quiet Man' is good read as are Stewart Brown's 'Hibernian Greats' and Simon Pia's 'Sunshine on Leith' but your daughter might want something that's a bit more up to date as these all feature players from yesteryear.

James Stephen
20-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Would it be inappropriate of me to suggest What Kept You Hibs, which covers the wider story and context of 2014 to 2017, and is 5 star rated on Amazon...?😀

The 90+2
20-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Would it be inappropriate of me to suggest What Kept You Hibs, which covers the wider story and context of 2014 to 2017, and is 5 star rated on Amazon...?😀

Thanks! Another thing for Xmas for me :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
20-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Might I be so bold as to add excellent read and well written in simple language easy to understand you almost feel you are there reliving every minute every match every kick o the ba

Conrad Gray
20-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Could it be that the best books have been written but never published?

I spoke with Alan Lugton a few years back and he let slip that the trilogy was a heavily reduced version of what he had actually written. I got the impression that the full version would have had at least another few books. I would love to see the unpublished longer version.

BILLYHIBS
20-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Could it be that the best books have been written but never published?

I spoke with Alan Lugton a few years back and he let slip that the trilogy was a heavily reduced version of what he had actually written. I got the impression that the full version would have had at least another few books. I would love to see the unpublished longer version.

:agree:

Still waiting on Jonnyboy to publish the third part of his post war trilogy

hfc rd
20-11-2019, 04:41 PM
There is a bonny fitba team by Ted Brack is a fantastic read.

darwenhibby
20-11-2019, 04:42 PM
On another note
Who remembers getting “A Hundred Years of Hibs “
As part of their Christmas in 1974
Just before the centenary

Cheshire Hibby
20-11-2019, 07:09 PM
On another note

Darwenhibby
I do and still have it minus the glossy cover now and the page of autographs that came with it.
It's part of my Hibernian collection and proudly owned.
GGTTH
Cheshire Hibby

Bostonhibby
20-11-2019, 07:23 PM
On another note
Just before the centenaryStill got it but sadly the dust jackets been lost down the years. Was a xmas present.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

G B Young
20-11-2019, 07:34 PM
On another note

The second-hand copy I picked up in a bookshop a few years back has a 'Merry Christmas 1974' inscription from an aunt and uncle to the previous owner.

calumhibee1
20-11-2019, 08:00 PM
On another note

Just bought this 2nd hand off eBay this week. Looking forward to reading it

degenerated
20-11-2019, 09:13 PM
I picked one up on Amazon that I've not started yet called hibs and the pogues which looked quite interesting. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191120/ebb0dc38384da0330643bd3eda8d63ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hibby6270
20-11-2019, 11:50 PM
I picked one up on Amazon that I've not started yet called hibs and the pogues which looked quite interesting. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191120/ebb0dc38384da0330643bd3eda8d63ad.jpg

Jings. Never realised this was a book. Seen it on eBay a few times. The cover makes it look like an album, not a book.:rolleyes:

Need to get it it to add to my Hibs book collection!:aok:

BILLYHIBS
21-11-2019, 06:00 AM
Jings. Never realised this was a book. Seen it on eBay a few times. The cover makes it look like an album, not a book.:rolleyes:

Need to get it it to add to my Hibs book collection!:aok:

Ditto

Just ordered it

Growing up in green : Supporting HIBS through the seventies by Sandy McNair is also a good shout for HIBS nerds

hibbydog
21-11-2019, 11:55 AM

At the risk of blowing smoke up your ar5e......

Great read. The cup win is obviously everyone's favourite subject and it's a real page turner.

Mucking Fagic

southsider
21-11-2019, 12:31 PM
On another note

I have one in mint condition signed by a certain P.Stanton.

Wakeyhibee
21-11-2019, 12:54 PM
On another note

Old man had that along with the 72 wall poster of the LC win.

Great book, Was read over and over as a kid.

Iggy Pope
21-11-2019, 05:09 PM
“100 Years of Hibs” is a lovely thing to have and it’s a prized possession since I was a boy although including the Huns on the dust jacket was a bad move. However, when you read what John McKay crammed into “The Hibees” a short while later and then what Lugton did in three volumes that took us only to pre-war, then Thompson and Docherty’s offering looks a bit thin doesn’t it?

Not long until 2025 and another landmark for the bookshelves.

Purple & Green
21-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Cheers

In my humble opinion, the best Hibs book ever is Tony Smiths book about his dad - a fascinating history of the best ever period in Hibs history.

BILLYHIBS
21-11-2019, 05:45 PM
In my humble opinion, the best Hibs book ever is Tony Smiths book about his dad - a fascinating history of the best ever period in Hibs history.

:thumbsup:

Brings a tear to a glass eye

A truly great player

The Prince of Wingers

Growing up asking family members who the best player they ever saw was and regardless of allegiance the answer was always Gordon Smith

Legend

:not worth

ancient hibee
21-11-2019, 05:51 PM
John Mackay's books-The Hibees(1986) and Hibernian The Complete Story(1990) are packed with facts and stats as well as history.

mim
21-11-2019, 06:18 PM
At Easter Road They Play and In Colours Green and White are both worth a read.
The first covers The Famous Five and Baker eras. The second from mid sixties to 1990.

Bristolhibby
21-11-2019, 06:37 PM
I enjoyed “Taxi for Farrell” by Davie Farrell. More of a journeyman’s story, but plenty of Hibs content.

I also enjoyed Heartfelt by Aiden Smith, about a Hibby who follows Hearts for a season a good read.

J

heretoday
21-11-2019, 06:42 PM
100 Years of Hibs by Gerry Docherty 1975.
This is I think the first proper book about Hibs. It's not too intense a history and has good pictures. Perfect for a first-timer. Might be hard to get hold of.
Some of the books are too detailed for all but the fanatic.

One Day
21-11-2019, 07:47 PM

I donated them the other week

One Day
21-11-2019, 07:48 PM
On another note

I do, still got it

brog
21-11-2019, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=Iggy Pope;5995692]“100 Years of Hibs” is a lovely thing to have and it’s a prized possession since I was a boy although including the Huns on the dust jacket was a bad move. However, when you read what John McKay crammed into “The Hibees” a short while later and then what Lugton did in three volumes that took us only to pre-war, then Thompson and Docherty’s offering looks a bit thin doesn’t it?

I played a small part in 100 years of Hibs & I'm included in the dedications. Gerry Docherty had enough material for about 5 books & when you added in Phil Thompson's draft it was a huge body of work. Hibs, or more likely Stewart Brown, really took over editorial control & were responsible for the much maligned cover & the severely reduced book which appeared. Their commercial instincts were spot on however as the book was top of the non fiction charts in Scotland for about 3 weeks after publication.
Our proudest moment was when we found the 2 wonderful trophies, pictured near front of the book, in St Pats church & got them properly cleaned, restored & displayed. It's a shame the book was substantially reduced but it blazed the trail for so many others to follow & is still a fine read in its own right.

tamig
21-11-2019, 11:54 PM
On another note

I remember it well. Still got it kicking around although the dust jacket is in a right old state.

Ray_
22-11-2019, 05:06 AM
On another note

That was a time before books became popular so it was special as was the "Hibees" a few years later.

son of haggart
22-11-2019, 06:04 AM
I donated them the other week

A very good cause

I bought about £40 worth of books there last week, but despite them being good value couldn’t bring myself to purchase yours for obvious reasons! I’m sure they’ll go to a good home

BILLYHIBS
22-11-2019, 06:29 AM
A very good cause

I bought about £40 worth of books there last week, but despite them being good value couldn’t bring myself to purchase yours for obvious reasons! I’m sure they’ll go to a good home

Heartfelt?

BILLYHIBS
22-11-2019, 06:36 AM
That was a time before books became popular so it was special as was the "Hibees" a few weeks later.

I am sure I read somewhere that when Gerry Docherty approached HIBS about doing a book to mark the clubs 100 th anniversary Tom Hart said to him HIBS fans don’t read books :confused:

He didn’t know what he was starting

I also used to enjoy the fanzines HIBS Monthly and Mass Hibsteria

GGTTH

degenerated
22-11-2019, 07:29 AM
I am sure I read somewhere that when Gerry Docherty approached HIBS about doing a book to mark the clubs 100 th anniversary Tom Hart said to him HIBS fans don’t read books :confused:

GGTTHThe proclaimer was pretty good as well, that along with mass hibsteria were my must have when they came out.

Seem to remember a glasgow hibs fanzine that was not bad as well.

brog
22-11-2019, 02:56 PM

GGTTH

Not sure that's true Billy. Hibs were very supportive of the project that became 100 Years of Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
22-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Not sure that's true Billy. Hibs were very supportive of the project that became 100 Years of Hibs.

:agree:

Did not intend it to it to be derogatory more of a good luck with it

Turned out ok don’t you agree? :greengrin

Edit:

Will try and find Tom Harts quote I was referring to

Might have something to do with Tom Hart wanting to edit the original large draft into a readable marketable book

Might be wrong

superfurryhibby
22-11-2019, 03:23 PM
[QUOTE=Iggy Pope;5995692]“100 Years of Hibs” is a lovely thing to have and it’s a prized possession since I was a boy although including the Huns on the dust jacket was a bad move. However, when you read what John McKay crammed into “The Hibees” a short while later and then what Lugton did in three volumes that took us only to pre-war, then Thompson and Docherty’s offering looks a bit thin doesn’t it?

I played a small part in 100 years of Hibs & I'm included in the dedications. Gerry Docherty had enough material for about 5 books & when you added in Phil Thompson's draft it was a huge body of work. Hibs, or more likely Stewart Brown, really took over editorial control & were responsible for the much maligned cover & the severely reduced book which appeared. Their commercial instincts were spot on however as the book was top of the non fiction charts in Scotland for about 3 weeks after publication.
Our proudest moment was when we found the 2 wonderful trophies, pictured near front of the book, in St Pats church & got them properly cleaned, restored & displayed. It's a shame the book was substantially reduced but it blazed the trail for so many others to follow & is still a fine read in its own right.

Great Post Brog. I still have a copy, minus dust jacket. I loved reading about it, especially the Famous Five era. Lawrie Reilly had the Bowlers Rest, literally across the street from us and it made it all the more awesome for the ten year old me to read about that legendary man and his teamates exploits.

green with envy
23-11-2019, 12:16 AM
On another note

Me, and I still have it. As a 12 year old kid, I used to go to the players entrance to get the players autographs and this book is full of them. Oh the memories.💚

One Day
23-11-2019, 09:13 AM
A very good cause

Was going to put them on here for free to a good Hibby but decided that that hospice was a good cause to donate to. Hopefully go to a good home and the hospice make a few quid.

southsider
23-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Itvine Welsh's Dead Man's Trousers is mostly about our Cup Final. Very funny if you like black humour. Cant wait for the movie. Speaking of movies i watched the Sunshine on Leith movies last Sunday afternoon. I had been to the stage show but it was the first time i had watched the movie. Brilliant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 09:30 AM

It’s a good read but thin as I said and you seem to agree given your involvement, which I’d no idea of but I’m grateful to you, because as a 12 year old the book was something for me to cherish.
I was schooled at St Pats primary and needless to say the church was a big part of that and the news of those early Edinburgh trophies created some excitement in those parts.
Shame it was reduced. I remember a book that kicked about well prior to this, “The Hearts” by Albert Mackie published early or mid 60s which had a lot more content. I’m not sure if it was commercially successful in its time. I was given a copy handed down from somewhere which I read and then gave away to my Hertz mate in my teens. It’s pretty sought after now I believe!

What happened to the writers of 100YOH Broq, are they still around the Hibs?

Iggy Pope
23-11-2019, 09:39 AM
A very good cause

This might or might not interest you but a former Hearts Manager now passed away, was a valued colleague of mine and on his passing I was lucky enough to be given his fully autographed copy of 100 Years of Hibs. Which I suppose at the time would have been a gift from one side of the city to the other.
As a boy I had worked hard to get my own copy autographed where I could (hanging around outside ER, tracking down Bobby Combe in his shop and Lawrie in the pub) only to find 40 years on a copy lands in my lap.

CMurdoch
23-11-2019, 12:41 PM
This might or might not interest you but a former Hearts Manager now passed away, was a valued colleague of mine and on his passing I was lucky enough to be given his fully autographed copy of 100 Years of Hibs. Which I suppose at the time would have been a gift from one side of the city to the other.
As a boy I had worked hard to get my own copy autographed where I could (hanging around outside ER, tracking down Bobby Combe in his shop and Lawrie in the pub) only to find 40 years on a copy lands in my lap.

Must have been brilliant tracking the guys down to sign the book.
Great memories for you.

CMurdoch
23-11-2019, 12:48 PM
There is a bonny fitba team by Ted Brack is a fantastic read.

Read the European chapter again this morning including the bit about the game against Barcelona. Great stuff.

brog
23-11-2019, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=brog;5995946]

It’s a good read but thin as I said and you seem to agree given your involvement, which I’d no idea of but I’m grateful to you, because as a 12 year old the book was something for me to cherish.
I was schooled at St Pats primary and needless to say the church was a big part of that and the news of those early Edinburgh trophies created some excitement in those parts.
Shame it was reduced. I remember a book that kicked about well prior to this, “The Hearts” by Albert Mackie published early or mid 60s which had a lot more content. I’m not sure if it was commercially successful in its time. I was given a copy handed down from somewhere which I read and then gave away to my Hertz mate in my teens. It’s pretty sought after now I believe!

What happened to the writers of 100YOH Broq, are they still around the Hibs?

IIRC Gerry actually started his research/writing the book as part of his university thesis. It was a bit frustrating for Gerry that so much was discarded but Luggy probably did it better later on anyway! Thanks for your nice comments about the book, it was a labour of love as you can imagine. Gerry's still a season ticket holder but I haven't seen Phil for many years. Gerry & Phil had no original connection. They were both working on separate projects with Gerry's emphasis being on the early days & Phil's on the post war years. Hibs brought them together & 100 years of Hibs was the result. It's nice that so many people still get pleasure from the book.

hibby6270
23-11-2019, 05:19 PM
I’ve got 2 copies of 100 YoH - and both with dust covers - although they do have a couple of small tears. The books though are in mint condition. Both signed by different sets of players from the period.
First one I bought when it was released and queued up at James Thin on South Bridge to meet the players. Second one I bought on eBay 3 or 4 years ago because it had a different set of signatures. Oddly though Alan Gordon has signed both but the rest are unique.:confused:

Reading the rest of this thread, would there be a case to campaign or lobby the Hibs board to maybe have the “director's cut” of the Docherty/Thomson scripts brought together to have a definitive volume of Hibees history in print for the 150th anniversary in 2025? I guess there would need to be a volume written for the most recent 50 years and is anyone in a position to do that or have they done so already?

As I say, just a thought to throw out there!! :greengrin

calumhibee1
23-11-2019, 05:37 PM
I’ve got 2 copies of 100 YoH - and both with dust covers - although they do have a couple of small tears. The books though are in mint condition. Both signed by different sets of players from the period.
First one I bought when it was released and queued up at James Thin on South Bridge to meet the players. Second one I bought on eBay 3 or 4 years ago because it had a different set of signatures. Oddly though Alan Gordon has signed both but the rest are unique.:confused:

Reading the rest of this thread, would there be a case to campaign or lobby the Hibs board to maybe have the “director's cut” of the Docherty/Thomson scripts brought together to have a definitive volume of Hibees history in print for the 150th anniversary in 2025? I guess there would need to be a volume written for the most recent 50 years and is anyone in a position to do that or have they done so already?

As I say, just a thought to throw out there!! :greengrin

Take my money