PDA

View Full Version : Question Head Coach v Manager

Lago
19-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Head Coach v Manager, what is the difference ? Is it only a job title or is it of more importance ?
Also over the past week or so there has been a lot of talk about the Hibs structure, in real terms does it differ significantly from other top flight clubs ?

Aim Here
19-11-2019, 05:57 PM
It's my understanding that the usual difference between the job titles is that the Head Coach is the guy who basically directs the player training, tactics, game management and so forth, while 'manager' also includes the manager being formally in charge of player recruitment and wider responsibilities.

The reason why there's been increasing movement from manager to head coach positions is that, football being what it is these days, managers now get turfed out of a job far more frequently than they used to in the past, and so their links with the club are now very short-term and concerned with the next two month's worth of results - it takes about ten bad games to get a manager fired - whereas whoever's recruiting players has to think perhaps three or four years ahead because that's how long player contracts are.

B.H.F.C
19-11-2019, 06:26 PM
I don’t think, generally, there is any difference really.

Jack Ross is Head Coach and we have a Sporting Director. Steven Gerrard is Rangers Manager and they have a Sporting Director.

It’s just a job title.

The Leith Dutch
19-11-2019, 07:16 PM
It's my understanding that the usual difference between the job titles is that the Head Coach is the guy who basically directs the player training, tactics, game management and so forth, while 'manager' also includes the manager being formally in charge of player recruitment and wider responsibilities.

The reason why there's been increasing movement from manager to head coach positions is that, football being what it is these days, managers now get turfed out of a job far more frequently than they used to in the past, and so their links with the club are now very short-term and concerned with the next two month's worth of results - it takes about ten bad games to get a manager fired - whereas whoever's recruiting players has to think perhaps three or four years ahead because that's how long player contracts are.

This is my understanding of the difference only you've written it better than I would have 😁