PDA

View Full Version : Sunderland Til I Die.

Not In The Know
19-11-2019, 09:08 AM
It’s going to be very interesting watching the new series of this when released (supposed to be jan). I have a feeling our new boss is going to come out of it quite well.

When you see the list of Heid the Baws on the jumbos managerial shortlist, I think we have won a watch 👍

Vault Boy
19-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Despite doing a much worse job than Ross, I thought Coleman came out looking like a very decent guy.

I hope you're right about Ross, I've a feeling you will be.

hibsbollah
19-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Despite doing a much worse job than Ross, I thought Coleman came out looking like a very decent guy.

Coleman really did come out of it well. He did everything he could do steady a sinking ship and everybody around the club seemed to like him but it was an impossible task. The middle aged 'fan' threatening him towards the end really stood out as an illustration of how some folk shouldn't be let out of the house.

Onceinawhile
19-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Agreed, although the bit where he tactically avoids entering the secret santa is hilarious.

Pretty Boy
19-11-2019, 09:35 AM
I thought Coleman came out of it looking like a decent guy but a pretty hopeless manager. He certainly spoke passionately but there was little to suggest he was able to communicate his ideas to the players. Aiden McGeady as good as called him the worst manager he had ever worked under and savaged both his approach to games and his analysis afterwards. Was it an away game at Millwall that he said they reverted to a formation they had never once worked on or discussed in training?

Although looking at the list of failures at Sunderland maybe it's a place that makes good managers look bad. Will certainly be interesting to see how Ross comes across.

hibsbollah
19-11-2019, 09:39 AM
I thought Coleman came out of it looking like a decent guy but a pretty hopeless manager. He certainly spoke passionately but there was little to suggest he was able to communicate his ideas to the players. Aiden McGeady as good as called him the worst manager he had ever worked under and savaged both his approach to games and his analysis afterwards. Was it an away game at Millwall that he said they reverted to a formation they had never once worked on or discussed in training?

Although looking at the list of failures at Sunderland maybe it's a place that makes good managers look bad. Will certainly be interesting to see how Ross comes across.

That's certainly one way of looking at it. I think the clearly broken culture that was there for all to see at Sunderland spoke volumes, and no manager could have gone in to work with a group of players so disinterested in playing for the club and been sure of success. I think he's a good manager.

I'd say in terms of Ross, the Sunderland experience doesn't give us any clue about how he'll do at Hibs (although both clubs clearly need to do some work on that 'Culture' thing) ,there is at least that much in common.

HendoDelivered
19-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Next season out Feb 2020

Since452
19-11-2019, 10:07 AM
I read somewhere that Ross was really well liked at Sunderland and took the canteen workers out for a meal after he was sacked. Think he also only lost 10 out of 80 games. Quite incredible they didn't get promoted with that record.

Jones28
19-11-2019, 10:11 AM
I read somewhere that Ross was really well liked at Sunderland and took the canteen workers out for a meal after he was sacked. Think he also only lost 10 out of 80 games. Quite incredible they didn't get promoted with that record.

Much like our time in the championship, it was the draws that killed him.

Smartie
19-11-2019, 10:22 AM

McGeady had been signed by Grayson, who he followed from Preston. There was quite a strong bond between the 2 and I don’t think McGeady was all that impressed when Grayson got his jotters so quickly, and probably “had it in” for the next man.

When Ross came in, McGeady really started to play and his outstanding form that season carried a few passengers along.

My point? Ross made a few pretty poor transfer moves but managed to get a tune out of a talented but temperamental player. By all accounts McGeady’s been very poor this season and especially since Ross left.

SMAXXA
19-11-2019, 10:46 AM
McGeady had been signed by Grayson, who he followed from Preston. There was quite a strong bond between the 2 and I don’t think McGeady was all that impressed when Grayson got his jotters so quickly, and probably “had it in” for the next man.

When Ross came in, McGeady really started to play and his outstanding form that season carried a few passengers along.

My point? Ross made a few pretty poor transfer moves but managed to get a tune out of a talented but temperamental player. By all accounts McGeady’s been very poor this season and especially since Ross left.

Would love to see him at Hibs

Smartie
19-11-2019, 10:49 AM
Would love to see him at Hibs

Funnily enough, I mentioned on another thread that I knew John Potter a while back. Whilst he used to enthuse about Hibs at the time, he said his trickiest opponent was McGeady. If, as a CH, you were pulled out wide against him he would just tear you apart with pace and tricks as you didn’t know which way he was going to go.

Hibeesmad
19-11-2019, 11:39 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-afc-news/jack-ross-reflects-sunderland-tenure-netflix-challenges-and-new-start-hibernian-1276773%3famp

Ross interview on the documentary here

marleyhib
19-11-2019, 11:58 AM
I read that Jack wasn't too keen on the documentary taking place. Not like there is much pressure managing a football club already :-)

Will be an interesting watch I'm sure, the last one certainly was.

Vault Boy
19-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Glad to hear he gave them the bare minimum access.

Poor of the board to go against his wishes.

Since452
19-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Intrigued to see this when it comes out. Really enjoyed the last one. From what I've heard about Jack Ross he'll come out of it well

basehibby
19-11-2019, 01:04 PM
I read that Jack wasn't too keen on the documentary taking place. Not like there is much pressure managing a football club already :-)

Will be an interesting watch I'm sure, the last one certainly was.

Dont blame him. Unnecessary distraction.

murray26
19-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Are the doing one this season

Since452
19-11-2019, 03:53 PM
I heard somewhere Hearts are doing something similar this season?

Hibeesmad
19-11-2019, 04:44 PM

I know Spurs have got one on the go with Amazon Prime which started from the Liverpool game at Anfield a few weeks ago. Should be a great viewing with current behind the scene issues at the club.

HendoDelivered
19-11-2019, 04:52 PM

Yup. “Inside Tynecastle”

hfc rd
19-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing this. Enjoyed the 1st season.

Stuart93
19-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Tourist football at its finest imo. Would be so easy for players and probably coaches to take their eyes off the ball with cameras roundabout.

Leave that pish to English football

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2019, 06:27 PM
Cannae wait for Series 2 coming out on Netflix
Series 1 was recommended compulsive viewing for all football fans
We had Martin Bain doing his David Brent impersonation ( I mean that in a nice way) Jack Rodwell refusing to budge from his £43000 per week contract and our own Robbie Stockdale having to look after the team no less than three times as various Managers left through the exit door to only himself be shown the exit door by none other than Jack Ross
“It’s a funny old game Saint.”

Jones28
19-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Yup. “Inside Tynecastle”

Surely it just looks like any other building site?

Jones28
19-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Cannae wait for Series 2 coming out on Netflix
Series 1 was recommended compulsive viewing for all football fans
We had Martin Bain doing his David Brent impersonation ( I mean that in a nice way) Jack Rodwell refusing to budge from his £43000 per week contract and our own Robbie Stockdale having to look after the team no less than three times as various Managers left through the exit door to only himself be shown the exit door by none other than Jack Ross
“It’s a funny old game Saint.”

Was Rodwell not on something like £85,000?

BILLYHIBS
19-11-2019, 06:43 PM
Was Rodwell not on something like £85,000?

Yip

That was what I thought £68000 but not according to this article Sunderland cancelled his £43000 a week contract on relegation

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/sunderland-til-i-die-where-are-they-now

Since452
20-11-2019, 06:39 AM
Sunderland pumped out the cup by Gillingham last night. They must be regretting sacking Ross

Smartie
20-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Yip

That was what I thought £68000 but not according to this article Sunderland cancelled his £43000 a week contract on relegation

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/sunderland-til-i-die-where-are-they-now

When he signed he was on about £70k per week. That may have increased year on year for the couple of years after, but when they were relegated to the third division his wage "plummeted" to £43k per week and he didn't want to hang around for that.

The article says he was doing ok at CH for Blackburn but he struggled and was released. He made his name (and earned that big contract) playing midfield but now doesn't think he's got what it takes to play there and so refuses, thinking he's a centre half instead.

The guy is poisonous. His agent has recently been linking him with moves to big Italian clubs but I'd be surprised if he gets another senior club, anywhere.

BILLYHIBS
20-11-2019, 07:46 AM
When he signed he was on about £70k per week. That may have increased year on year for the couple of years after, but when they were relegated to the third division his wage "plummeted" to £43k per week and he didn't want to hang around for that.

The article says he was doing ok at CH for Blackburn but he struggled and was released. He made his name (and earned that big contract) playing midfield but now doesn't think he's got what it takes to play there and so refuses, thinking he's a centre half instead.

The guy is poisonous. His agent has recently been linking him with moves to big Italian clubs but I'd be surprised if he gets another senior club, anywhere.

:agree:

Sounds about right as the OP said I could swear that when I was watching the documentary they said his weekly wage was 68k

As to the poisonous bit sounds a bit like our man Ojo

PeckythePenguin
21-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Season 2 available from April 1st on Netflix. Will be interesting to get some insight into Jack Ross and John Potter behind the scenes at Sunderland.

BILLYHIBS
21-03-2020, 10:25 PM
Season 2 available from April 1st on Netflix. Will be interesting to get some insight into Jack Ross and John Potter behind the scenes at Sunderland.

Cannae wait to see Season 1 of TINYTILLIDIE must be due to be released soon Comedy Gold!😂

The 90+2
21-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Cannae wait to see Season 1 of TINYTILLIDIE must be due to be released soon Comedy Gold!😂

#tyniethentheydie.

green with envy
22-03-2020, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the shout.:thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
22-03-2020, 09:48 AM

I wonder how Ross will come out of it. As someone who has Sunderland as their English club, I’m looking forward to it.

ronaldo7
22-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Just finished binge watching it, and couldn't believe that, Jack Rodwell was on £70k a week. Neither wonder, Martin Bain went mental when he heard he was staying. 😂

Greenbeard
18-02-2021, 06:40 PM
Takeover approved. 23 year old French Chairman. That is not a typo. 23! Stewart Donald and Charlie "I'm one of the boys" Methven still holding minority shareholdings.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56114374

Lancs Harp
18-02-2021, 06:52 PM
Takeover approved. 23 year old French Chairman. That is not a typo. 23! Stewart Donald and Charlie "I'm one of the boys" Methven still holding minority shareholdings.

If that was me I'd be giving myself the odd last minute cameo appearance.

Smartie
18-02-2021, 07:35 PM
If that was me I'd be giving myself the odd last minute cameo appearance.

And that wouldn't even be close to being the daftest decision taken by a Sunderland chairman in recent years.

CMurdoch
18-02-2021, 07:45 PM

A rich mans kid gets an expensive toy.
I'm sure daddies advisors will be on tap.

overdrive
13-02-2024, 10:58 PM
I see season 3 has just come out on Netflix today. It covers at least some of the period Lee Johnson was in charge judging by the trailer so might be of interest.

Edit: just read a review that implies it starts with LJ getting sacked.

Frogga
13-02-2024, 11:40 PM
Yeah, just been watching it and Lee Johnson gets sacked straight away and it shows the fallout about whether it was the right decision.

It's only 3 episodes long this time but a really good watch and more about the fans this time, as opposed to being so focused on the board antics.

Sent from my SM-A336B using Tapatalk

Gatecrasher
14-02-2024, 07:28 AM
I did find it funny that they seem to start by sacking future hibs managers, I definitely wouldn't mind Alex Neil at Hibs though.

It's funny the similarities about how they feel about their club and the bemoaning the lack of success and stability as I do about hibs.

I'm glad that guy got to see them promoted before he passed though.

Groathillgrump
14-02-2024, 11:01 AM
I did find it funny that they seem to start by sacking future hibs managers, I definitely wouldn't mind Alex Neil at Hibs though.

It's funny the similarities about how they feel about their club and the bemoaning the lack of success and stability as I do about hibs.

I'm glad that guy got to see them promoted before he passed though.

FFS! *Spoiler alert* please. :greengrin

Cardinal G
14-02-2024, 12:03 PM
Yeah, just been watching it and Lee Johnson gets sacked straight away and it shows the fallout about whether it was the right decision.

It's only 3 episodes long this time but a really good watch and more about the fans this time, as opposed to being so focused on the board antics.

Sent from my SM-A336B using Tapatalk

Season 2 was all about The Chuckle brothers especially Methven who loved being centre of attention, I see Charlton fans have seen the light and are trying to hound him out of there club now as he is dragging them down now also. I despised him when he was at Sunderland, his arrogance and contempt for fans was clear for all to see.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2024, 12:19 PM
Season 2 was all about The Chuckle brothers especially Methven who loved being centre of attention, I see Charlton fans have seen the light and are trying to hound him out of there club now as he is dragging them down now also. I despised him when he was at Sunderland, his arrogance and contempt for fans was clear for all to see.

Jack Ross played a blinder with series 2 by keeping the cameras as far away from the players and dressing room as possible. I thought it was pretty obvious he allowed the bare minimum he could get away with without breaching any contract with Netflix.

The first series showed the dysfunction of the dressing room to the world. McGeady all but calling Coleman out as a loser directly to camera was probably the lowlight in that regard. Of course guys in the boardroom like Bain were still involved but the 2nd series had to look upstairs a lot more for the 'scandal' whilst the manager and players generally came across a lot better, at least in part because we hardly saw them in comparison to series 1.

Broxburn Greens
15-02-2024, 08:45 AM
Just watched it the other evening. Strange it started half way through the season.

Felt to me like it was a bit thrown together and some of the filmography was pretty bad, like shots of players training in May with a very hard frost on the ground whilst not impossible, highly unlikely.

Other than that it’s worth the watch in one evening and I thought Alex Neil came across really well.

The fan aspect was good and yes as someone else said I could relate to their fans frustrations from a Hibs perspective.

Without repeating the spoiler I was also pleased the big guy got his happy day at Wembley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silky
15-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Just watched it the other evening. Strange it started half way through the season.

Felt to me like it was a bit thrown together and some of the filmography was pretty bad, like shots of players training in May with a very hard frost on the ground whilst not impossible, highly unlikely.

Other than that it’s worth the watch in one evening and I thought Alex Neil came across really well.

The fan aspect was good and yes as someone else said I could relate to their fans frustrations from a Hibs perspective.

Without repeating the spoiler I was also pleased the big guy got his happy day at Wembley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've lived in Sunderland. Frost in May happens! 🤣