PDA

View Full Version : Ross: 'I'm not here as a stepping stone'

Perd Hapley
18-11-2019, 03:09 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/im-not-here-stepping-stone-jack-ross-insists-hes-hibs-long-haul-1265696

(https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/im-not-here-stepping-stone-jack-ross-insists-hes-hibs-long-haul-1265696)Apologies if already covered elsewhere but Ross saying he's in for the long haul and wants to be here for a lot of years.

He's struck me from the get-go as a Derek McInnes-type appointment - partly due to similar career paths but I also see him as someone who could bed themselves in at the club and hopefully bring about a period of continued success. His task is to find a winning formula that isn't as eye-bleedingly painful to witness as that which the sheep have been subjected to - time will tell but he has a track record of playing attractive football up here and I just have a good feeling about it - and I'm heartened to see that he's committed long-term.

:flag:

Onwards and upwards troops

Speedway
18-11-2019, 03:14 PM
He’s saying the right things.

JeMeSouviens
18-11-2019, 03:23 PM
The proof of that pudding comes if he ever turns a move down. Unlikely but you never know. The good news is he'd have to have done well enough to get over the Sunderland reservations that another wealthy club would no doubt have.

Keith_M
18-11-2019, 03:47 PM
The guy obviously has no ambition.

Get him launched...

TimeForHeroes16
18-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Jaaackies at the wheel:flag:

southsider
18-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Good song covered by the Sex Pistols.

Onion
18-11-2019, 04:59 PM
Saying all the right things and comes across as someone with passion and drive to succeed. Lots of others thinking he's a good fit for Hibs is another good sign. But as ever, the proof will be what he does on the field. Words are cheap and in football can be meaningless (who'll forget Red Lex's "Im here as long as you want me") ?

Hecky did really well for the first 8-10 games so it may be a while before we deduce that Ross is the real deal but, as has been said, if JR does well there's a good chance we could hang onto him for a while due to his failure at Sunderland.

Wish him all the best :thumbsup:

ABZHFC
18-11-2019, 06:30 PM
In a way, I kind of like the fact that he's not done well at Sunderland. He knows the grass isn't always greener, and that the first opportunity down south isn't necessarily worth going to. Big chance for him to do great things with us, like the sound of what he's been saying so far. Got a real buzz for Saturday already, I must admit!

Diclonius
18-11-2019, 06:31 PM
Ross' trajectory as a manager so far has been very similar to McInnes.

Since452
18-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Ross' trajectory as a manager so far has been very similar to McInnes.

Yup. Tin hat on but if he's anywhere near as successful as he's been at Aberdeen I'll be more than happy. They've consistently been 4th or higher for years with numerous cup finals and Europe. It's where i think we should be.

RIP Bestie
18-11-2019, 07:26 PM

So did Alex "I'll be hear as long as you want me" McLeish.

jacomo
18-11-2019, 07:32 PM
Yup. Tin hat on but if he's anywhere near as successful as he's been at Aberdeen I'll be more than happy. They've consistently been 4th or higher for years with numerous cup finals and Europe. It's where i think we should be.

I don’t think you need to worry about a tin hat.

The above, plus the more gusty approach to derbies and the OF that had been a feature of our play until recently, and we have a winner.

Diclonius
18-11-2019, 07:36 PM

That's true. He was a boyhood Rangers fan though - not sure Ross will jump ship to Dundee quite as quickly. :wink:

Perd Hapley
18-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Fair, he's not exactly going to say 'it'll be a good gig for a year or two but I see my plans leading elsewhere' - but I get the impression from his interviews that he's a man of integrity who sees the opportunity to establish himself over a period of years here. Time will tell indeed - regardless as others have pointed out circumstances mean he's perhaps less likely than some might be to jump ship early doors.

Fife-Hibee
18-11-2019, 07:51 PM
He's saying the "right things". But i'm pretty sure we say this about every manager that comes in, regardless of what they actually come out with. :wink:

hibsbollah
18-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Ross, 'If someone offers you two bags of sweets, you look in both before you choose'

:eek:

Fife-Hibee
18-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Ross, 'If someone offers you two bags of sweets, you look in both before you choose'

Had to double check, just to be sure. :greengrin

Keyser Sauzee
18-11-2019, 08:01 PM
I get people using McInnes as an example but a lot of his success at Aberdeen is down to a higher budget than most. He’s clearly a good manager but the money has helped him massively.

Greencore
18-11-2019, 08:26 PM
I get people using McInnes as an example but a lot of his success at Aberdeen is down to a higher budget than most. He’s clearly a good manager but the money has helped him massively.

What's Aberdeen budget compared to ours?

Keyser Sauzee
18-11-2019, 08:31 PM
What's Aberdeen budget compared to ours?

It’s common knowlegde they have a bigger budget than the rest minus the old firm

Nicho87
18-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Nice to have confidence in a manager again. Seems to understand the expectations of results and end goal of style of play. He gets the results side right I think he can build a solid squad and get us playing tasty football. Comes across calm, driven and knowledgeable.

PPZPOL
18-11-2019, 09:13 PM
You could say then that McInnes has them where they should be then. We have a higher budget than most in league but look where we are. If Ross can produce the same for us as McInnes then we will be at the right end of the league and there or thereabouts battling for 3rd or 4th (not this season after the shambolic start) plus consistent semi and finals appearances.

ian cruise
18-11-2019, 09:21 PM
It’s common knowlegde they have a bigger budget than the rest minus the old firm

On paper their first eleven hasn't been much better (arguably not better at all) from ourselves most seasons so though they have a bigger budget it's been what he's got out of his squad more than who he was able to buy.

RossScott1991
18-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Take what managers say with pinch of salt. If he leaves us for a better bigger job it will mean he’s done a good job at us and likely left us in a good place with a solid squad. I can live with that being a hibs fan, ideal world we’d have a manager for 5+ years but that would likely mean they are either extremely loyal and love the city / club / or doing ‘ok’ but nothing that makes other clubs stand up and take note.

Eyrie
18-11-2019, 09:40 PM

He did :greengrin

Jack Ross chose Hibs over Hearts, pass it on.

Stuart93
18-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Just watched his interview. Speaks incredibly well. You just get the feeling that he knows what managing hibs is all about. Seems like he’s bursting with pride as well.

Kick on

jacomo
18-11-2019, 11:07 PM
Just watched his interview. Speaks incredibly well. You just get the feeling that he knows what managing hibs is all about. Seems like he’s bursting with pride as well.

Kick on

:agree:

jacomo
18-11-2019, 11:08 PM

:greengrin

FilipinoHibs
19-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Remember that and him plotting in the background to go Rangers.

FilipinoHibs
19-11-2019, 07:00 AM

The fact he did and they are all back tracking on psycho side of the city is hilarious.

hibsbollah
19-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Ross has picked the tasty Sports Mixtures over the slightly stale and manky offering that's been pawed through by half the class already and that nobody likes anyway, Cherry Drops maybe?

Keith_M
19-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Ross has picked the tasty Sports Mixtures over the slightly stale and manky offering that's been pawed through by half the class already and that nobody likes anyway, Cherry Drops maybe?

Soor Plooms?

hibsbollah
19-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Soor Plooms?

I quite like a Soor Plum. Plus they're green.

Jim44
19-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Personally, I think they’re just trying to ‘fudge’ the issue.

SeanWilson
19-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Fair, he's not exactly going to say 'it'll be a good gig for a year or two but I see my plans leading elsewhere' - but I get the impression from his interviews that he's a man of integrity who sees the opportunity to establish himself over a period of years here. Time will tell indeed - regardless as others have pointed out circumstances mean he's perhaps less likely than some might be to jump ship early doors.

Look up his history from player to manager... Integrity and establish over period of years are not in his repertoire.

Since452
19-11-2019, 09:20 AM
If our manager isn't head hunted by bigger clubs I'd be dissapointed as he'll not be doing well. Hopefully he is and knocks them back like McInness

RIP Bestie
19-11-2019, 10:38 AM
If our manager isn't head hunted by bigger clubs I'd be dissapointed as he'll not be doing well. Hopefully he is and knocks them back like McInness

Believe me Derek McInnes is not still at Aberdeen out of blind loyalty. The fact is that he is on crazy money at Aberdeen and it would take one of the top sides in England to entice him away from what is actually a very comfortable gig for him.
Rangers are probably now in a position to match or better his salary than when he knocked them back before although I think they would think they could get a higher profile manager for the sort of money McInnes is on if they ever lost Gerrard. Aberdeen pulled out all the stops to keep him from going to Ibrox.

SquashedFrogg
19-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Look up his history from player to manager... Integrity and establish over period of years are not in his repertoire.

Curious as to why you think he has no integrity?

Steven79
19-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Believe me Derek McInnes is not still at Aberdeen out of blind loyalty. The fact is that he is on crazy money at Aberdeen and it would take one of the top sides in England to entice him away from what is actually a very comfortable gig for him.
Rangers are probably now in a position to match or better his salary than when he knocked them back before although I think they would think they could get a higher profile manager for the sort of money McInnes is on if they ever lost Gerrard. Aberdeen pulled out all the stops to keep him from going to Ibrox.

I really don't see the big deal about him as he's not done anything spectaticular as he had them in second place when they were the second biggest spenders due to the lack of Rangers, Hearts & ourselves being in the top league also he's only won a League Cup on penalties against Inverness in all the time he's been in charge despite the likes of St Johnstone & Inverness winning the Scottish Cup in his time in charge (I seem to remember another team also winning the Cup after those two won it as well)

His football isn't easy on the eye and they bottle it more often than not against the Old Firm and our record over the cheeks the past few seasons puts them to shame.

Turkish Green
19-11-2019, 11:31 AM
I will welcome Jack Ross to the club as I have welcomed all managers going back to Alex McLeish.

SeanWilson
19-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Curious as to why you think he has no integrity?

He's twice (maybe three times) been involved in contentious issues with his employers.

Diclonius
19-11-2019, 01:23 PM
He's twice (maybe three times) been involved in contentious issues with his employers.

The incident at Hartlepool just reads as him being a bit homesick to me.

matty_f
19-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Folks, I'm sure there are lots of rumours as to why Jack Ross left Hearts, but unless there's something you can substantiate, please don't post those rumours. :aok:

Hibernian Verse
19-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Folks, I'm sure there are lots of rumours as to why Jack Ross left Hearts, but unless there's something you can substantiate, please don't post those rumours. :aok:I see it has not been reported. Thought it had.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

matty_f
19-11-2019, 02:12 PM
I see it has not been reported. Thought it had.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I did a google search ahead of deleting the posts to see if there were any reports on it, I couldn't find any so thought it best to delete in the meantime. :aok:

jacomo
19-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Folks, I'm sure there are lots of rumours as to why Jack Ross left Hearts, but unless there's something you can substantiate, please don't post those rumours. :aok:

Lots of good reasons to leave Hearts. It’s the people who stay that you should worry about.

JeMeSouviens
19-11-2019, 04:04 PM
I did a google search ahead of deleting the posts to see if there were any reports on it, I couldn't find any so thought it best to delete in the meantime. :aok:

The talkh*****s website haven't bothered about leaving the rumours up on their forum if anyone's feeling nosy.

Jim44
19-11-2019, 09:12 PM
The talkh*****s website haven't bothered about leaving the rumours up on their forum if anyone's feeling nosy.

Now that they’ve lost out on him, they’ve even started to ridicule him with a recent photograph. Classless tw**ts.

SquashedFrogg
19-11-2019, 09:20 PM

Still doesn't explain why you think he has no integrity?

DJ HIBBY
19-11-2019, 09:25 PM

Said few months back I heard from good sources he was on £1million a year at the sheep

Squealing pig
19-11-2019, 09:33 PM
I can see a banner coming for next game at Easter road pass it on

Viva_Palmeiras
19-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Monkeeys or Farm cover version please :)

Joe6-2
19-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Soor Plooms?

Chips

lord bunberry
19-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Football managers talk a lot of pish. If he’s successful he’ll be off. I hope he’s successful and we can worry about him leaving later.

SeanWilson
20-11-2019, 01:42 AM
Still doesn't explain why you think he has no integrity?

It doesn't and I don't want to post hearsay. I'm merely pointing out, in response to a post on him coming across as a man of integrity and here for the long term, that if you look to his career in football; it doesn't exactly point to that, does it?